La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,821 | Hads: 9,236
4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Served cold from a 750 mL bottle with cork and cage. I used a Corsendonk glass as it was the closest in shape to the one pictured on the Unibroue website.

Appearance: Pale golden yellow, cloudy from the yeast. Very strong and fast forming head composed of itty-bitty bubbles. Slight lacing occured as this glorious elixir was consumed.

Smell: Strong smell of pepper and coriander followed by fruity smells, mostly orange and lemon.

Taste: Powerful spicy and fruity flavors (as noted above) giving way to malt with just a titch of hoppy crispness at the end. Lingering glimpses of other fruits like banana and pear danced across my tongue as I pondered another sip. The alcohol can be sensed lurking in the background.

Mouthfeel: Effervescent, crisp and smooth. Not too watery, not too oily.

Drinkability: _Extremely_ drinkable, despite (and maybe in spite of) the alcohol content. I feel sorry I only bought one of these... thank God there's more at the store!!! (979 characters)

Went to a bar called "Brude." They had this on cask, and I knew I must try it. Oh Lordy, just beautiful. Dark gold hue, yeast sediment and a perfect head. The smell teases you, letting you know this is not just any beer, this is nectar. Beautiful, full bodied taste. Malty, nice bitter hops, fruity ester dances across your tongue in some sort of mystical ballet. Smooth, heavy mouthfeel that leaves you always wanting more, more, more. If their ever was a time I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it. (532 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Tried my first Fin today, out of a bomber+ size 25.4 oz corked bottle. The fin du monde pours out frothy as can be, with a very light white head that filled half the glass on a slow pour. No problem, worth the wait for it to settle. Carbonation level is actually pretty moderate, despite all the initial effervescence.
Smells both malty and yeasty, reminds me a bit of a hefe at first, then I detect a bit of grape sneaking up from around the corner it seems.
First sip is surprisingly light, not quite what I expected. Only a hint of bitterness, then I get a nice warmth surrounded by plenty of citrus orangey flavor, interesting. The cirtrus is very well balanced by the body of the beer and a nice finishing sweetness. The bottle conditioning keeps the carbonation from overpowering the flavor, and lends a nice softness to the texture. I didn't even notice the high alcohol content until I was well into the bottle, you kind of just ease into it like an old la-z-boy recliner.
Although not spectacular, I'd call the fin du monde eminently drinkable, and I'll indeed sample it again. (1,094 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle with "best before" date -- in this case 04/17/06 -- stamped on the back label; $6.99/4 from Bob's Market in Santa Monica; illuminated graphic of the 51st American state on the label.

Appearance: pours a hazy gold with a white, six-fingered, macro-bubble head; great retention; heavy -- albeit unprincipled -- lacing.

Aroma: Sweet and spicy; all the usual descriptors apply -- peppery, clove-like, notes of tropical fruit, etc.

Taste: A drier, yeastier version of smell; subtle traces of orange, cinammon and smoke pervade.

Notes: I can't say I'm blown away. Complex, to be sure, but do all the varied notes add up to a "top twenty" brew? Mustard was hoping for a bit more ... (720 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +1.2%

Pour: Even poured slowly into a 16 oz. goblet, FDM explodes with a three inch head. My thought is that this beer is hell bent on filling whatever size glass you put it in. When the foam mellows, it still leaves a head you'd expect out of most beers on the initial pour. To the last drop, there's a good cm or two of head, not lace, that coats the beer like a white chocolate ganache. Incidentally, when you finish the beer, you'll notice the foam covers the glass from the bottom to up to three inches up!

Nose: Spicy citrus. Green grapes. Green apple skins. Very ripe, natural. Almost mentholated from the alcohol, but not unpleasant. Not too special compared to other Belgian-style beers.

Taste: A medium dry sparkling wine. Pronounced clove. There's a typical grapefruit bitterness that strikes first on the back of the tongue, but it isn't too strong. The sides of the tongue are also activated nicely if you swish the beer around and lend a flavor of orange rinds or even a light orange sherbert. The high alcohol offers its own taste that works with the beer as, itself, a FLAVOR and not a harsh reminder of what's inside. Light smoke. Indeed, the sweet and sour of the citrus balance the 9% abv and make this beer very drinkable. A sweeter saison?

Mouthfeel: Creamy because of the bottle-conditioning. Again, FDM uses every charactertistic for a higher goal. Hacker-Pschorr and other weiss beers are "creamy" because of the yeast in the bottle, but that body often seems like a nice perk. The body here is part and parcel of the beer, working with the citrus to produce a delicately medium bodied, sherbert or a lightly carbonated champagne.

Drinkability: The creamy body encourages you to swirl this beer around. It wants to romance the sides and back of your tongue. The hoppy/alcohol finish does remind you what you are dealing with and to proceed with caution.

Notes: On many sips, I've had this beer hit the back of my tongue and then swallowed. If it doesn't touch the sides, this beer might only be mediocre. Let your tongue swim in it, if only briefly. The molecules have to be seperated to adequately soften the phenols. The alcohol does balance well, but there could be, perhaps, one more element to this beer with another hop or the alcohol being subdued just a little more. I'll be trying to wrap my finger around this for years to come. An expert job to make, and perhaps to understand.

Relax, relax.
ng (2,444 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

More bounce to the ounce, La Fin Du Monde has it going on in all directions. I really thought it was the end of the world when I first tried this 10 years ago as a young'un and drank it straight from a 750 ml bottle at a house party--took me 4 hours of intestinal fortitude to finish that bad boy off.

However times have changed, I've grown older, if not any more wiser, and have learned to enjoy many more of these over the years. It POURS from this particular 750 ml brown bottle a hazy pale straw colour with good carbonation and some suspended particles. Big white bubbly head that lasts a while. Aroma of hay, apricots, pepper, some grassy notes. Flavour doesn't hit me until the finish and then the aftertaste where the sweet malt and spices start to kick in, plus a little bit of citrus. A lot going on in the palate of this ale. Mouthfeel is thick and somewhat boozy, but to be expected for the 9% abv, yet goes down a lot smoother than most ales of this caliber.

Back in the day I used to jokingly refer to this stuff as a bowl of cereal in a bottle. Nowadays I'd agree to the fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and would advocate an "end of the world" to start off anyone's day. (1,218 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%

This was the first Belgian I ever had. The appearance threw me off a little b/c of the cloudy orangish color and texture. I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I loved it. I have come back to this beer time and again. It has a very creamy smoothness that I really love. The taste is of tropical fruity sweetness and some spicy alcohol. Finishes long and dry with more fruityness. A great introduction to the world of Belgians for me! (433 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

My favorite offering from Unibroue,pours a hazy yellow with a gigantic blooming head,the aroma was very spicey and smokey with a slight tartness in the finish.There is a nice sweetness to this beer,a nice spiciness in the middle and a fruity finish.I get this underlying smokiness to this beer its very appetizing,a true hand crafted beer. (339 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Hazy pale yellow with a huge off-white head with quickly bursting tiny bubbles. The head drops quickly, but settles about a quarter inch above the liquid. Smell is mostly sweet lemon, some yeast, and a bit of pine. Flavor is rich and sweet. Flavor is a bit of yeast, then warm honey melts in the mouth, and finishes with some undertones of butterscotch and pine. Mouthfeel is very smooth and velvety. Aftertaste lingers long and delivers more honey. This beer holds its complexity to the last drop, and is surprisingly smooth for the alcohol that it delivers. Very tasty, but low drinkability because it is so rich. (615 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Another first impression Whoa! This brew foamed up 1/4 brew, 3/4 foam as I poured it into my glass. Its head was a very white color. The bubbles in the head ranged from small to large. Again, this is another very carbonated brew. This brew also had a very mild aroma. It too was hard for me to distinguish from other smells. It has a very light orange color with yeast particles floating in it. Its flavor contains a variety of different tastes. The carbonation once again rolls off the tongue. It is adding to my buzz tonight. I liked the flavor and taste of the brew. It agrees with me very much. All in all an excellent brew! This brew is very potent and it added to my buzz for the evening. (694 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Incredible Belgian style from our friends to the north. I've had several opportunities to try a Unibroue product in the past but always opted for something else...no longer.

Bright, pale, and hazy yellow in color. A tremendous, frothy white head emerges when poured and leaves substantial lacing. It has a sweet and spicey smell. Clove and pepper emerge, along with hint of alcohol. This tripel tastes nearly perfect. Good balance between the malt, yeast and the fruit esters. Somewhat spicy at the finish, and just enough alcohol warming to remind you of the 9%. It has a very effervescent and crisp mouthfeel.

Bring on the Maudite! (639 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

A very nice peachy, cloudy looking brew with a tall white head. The aroma is a huge winner here, with tropical fruits (kiwi,pinapple,banana, and coconut) all around, just perfect for what's to follow. A carbonated but smooth mix of spicy and tropical. The tropicals here are coconut and pinapple with spicy vanilla and yeasty flavors supplied in a light, airy body with a lightly bitter dry finish. Very delicious and unique. (425 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Originally sampled 31 July 2002. A cloudy, pale gold in appearance. It had a large, frothy white head and lots of champagne-like bubbles. It reminded me somewhat of a white beer. Its taste is slightly sweet & fruity. I found it to be very enjoyable and I'd have it again (270 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Pop goes the cork, and rush goes the foamy head out of the bottle. Pour it and then gaze in astonishment at the hazy golden brew. Enjoy the enormous whipped texture head that seems to rejuvenate itself after every sip. Smell the wonderfully citric, yeasty and spicy aroma. And then sip it. YUMM! Perfect mouthfeel and perfect carbonation. This beer is full of spiciness, yeastiness, fruitiness, sweetness, sweetness, twanginess(if that's a word), and some alcohol of course. 9% at that. And it's barely noticeable. Most definitely my favorite Unibroue offering. Go drink this beauty. (583 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

This beer poured a translucent yellow. Not overly cloudy but still not clear. The head was a creamy white with very fine bubbles.

The nose had a slight alcohol hint, some spice and even some soft fruit. Definitely a firm belgian ale smell.

The first taste was smooth. A firm alcohol kick but never overpowering. Lots of full tanic fruit flavors. Grapes and even maybe some tart apples. Not overly bitter, but it did have some hop bitterness that sat nicely in the mix.

Although smooth going down it finished with a firm bump of spice and bitterness. Still never over the top. But definitely a little bit of increase in flavors near the end.

Overall a great belgian triple style ale. It's amazing this beer was made in Canada and not at an abbey in belgium.

Must say, I love the labels on all of this brewerys beers. Very cool. (842 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Served out of the 12 oz. bottle into the Fin du Monde tulip glass. This beer poured a gold with a fair bit of head. The smell was very flowery and sweet. As for taste, the taste was as sweet as it smelled, with a strong element of fruit. The mouthfeel was fairly smooth. As for drinkability, it seems like having too many of them would be overwhelmingly sweet after a while. All in all, a great Belgian-style ale, and one that I would keep around to have one or two of in the future (482 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Pours a spritzy champagne color with a spritzy 1/4" head....nose is light with mainly yeast notes and some apples...body is firm and tight...carbonation seems perfect....boy is this smooth...no hint of the 9% ABV...very full-flovored beer...perfect sweetness..this is one of the best tasting Belgians I've had...so smooth, but flavorfull....great Belgian malts...a malty beer all the way...reminds me of a high quality Blonde Doppelbock made Belgian style.....some grassy hops are in the background but very small..Unibroue continues to impress me...this is one of the best beers I've had... (591 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -6%

I had The End of the World in a 12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. It pours a hazy orange-yellow with lots of bubble action. There is 2 fingers of foam that cut down to half a finger quickly. There is minimal lacing left on the glass. There smell is a citrus aroma with some light spices. The taste is fruity with a fair amount of hops to balance it out. The taste mostly reminds me of oranges. I was really surprised by the heaviness of the mouthfeel The drinkability is also fairly good for a 9% bew. This is a session beer with a punch. (543 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

As is evident by my numbers, tasting the beer was not nearly as satisfying as looking at the beer. du Monde poured a foggy, light, straw yellow with an inflated head. The lace was exceptional. The smell was sweet and pungent with lime and other citrus flavors. The taste was a little too carbonated and it was a tad too tart for my liking. The alcohol and pepperness in the beer was just not balanced by anything else. It did have some good, rich malts and first rate bitterness. Overall a good brew, but I am not yet sold on them. (531 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -22.3%

I admit it. Pale ales are not my thing, especially those with really high alcohol content. This was no exception. It poured a cloudy yellow with a fuzzy white head. There was lots of spiciness in the smell, particularly ginger and arrowroot. Not much in the taste to mask the alcohol either, so I thought I was drinking a sloe gin fizz. (336 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Man i just discovered this not to long ago (hey im new to this) and...wow. It pours a cloudy yellow with not much head and little peices of sediment floating about, and what head it has quickly diminishes to nothing. looking at it as it sits in my glass it reminds me of a hefe minus the big white biscuit head. the aroma is of light spices and clove and is quite pleasant. the taste makes me think wheat with a bit of citrus and clove. Man I love the wheat taste. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing with good carbonation that just seems to bubble on your toungue, just a little bit of creaminess that kind of coats your mouth finishes it off. The drinkability of this is amazing and a 4 pack or 2 750ml bottles can be finished off no problem. the only thing is, this brew is 9% and it creeps up on you pretty quickly. After work (construction) in the hot Las Vegas sun I love to come home, pour a glass of this and sit on the porch. It is a most refreshing, relaxing, not to heavy brew. A truly wonderful beer.

$5.99 for 750ml or $7.99 per 4 pack. (1,054 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Yeasty and slightly spicy aroma. Bright white head fades quickly to a skim, and the lacing is moderate. Body of the beer is cloudy and dull bronze.

Taste is a creamy, sparkly, cinnamon spice. Very creamy mouthfeel. High carbonation, brisk and brash even in the middle of all that creaminess. Slightly sour aftertaste. There is spice from beginning of the sip to the end of the swallow, but that spice rides that wonderful, chewy, malty backbone.

Again, marvelous mouthfeel, probably one of the best I've ever enjoyed in that regard.

This is one of my favorite Unibroue's -- indeed, one of my favorite beers, as my numbers attest. If the end of the world is truly coming, make sure you bring one of these. (713 characters)

La Fin du Monde pours a very pale yellow -- it reminds me of a wheat beer, actually. The clarity is fair, with a bit of haze present but I can still see through it. The head forms readily, and decays to a creamy layer on top of the beer. It's supported by a steady carbonation fizz.

The aroma is malty and fruity, with some yeast and banana. Also, clove spiciness is obvious. It's a clean and fresh-smelling beer.

The flavour is very bright and refreshing. Lots of cloves, banana, and citrus hit me immediately. Some wheaty malt fills the flavour out. The sweetness is balanced by some herbal and bitter hops. There is only a very little alcoholic flavour here (which is dangerous, at 9% :^) so drink at your own peril. The finish is clean and slightly bitter.

In the mouth, it feels full and creamy without being heavy. The carbonation is a nice light interesting fizz. All in all, I think they've made a pretty delightful ale. This is a mighty fine beer, destined to become a regular in my house. (1,008 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Cloudy yellow-golden color with a large off-white head which soon fades to a nice collar with good lacing. The carbonation is champagne-like and quite profuse. There is quite a bit of sediment in suspension and on the bottom of the glass.

Aroma: Strong and sweet aroma, again reminiscent of champagne, but also with fruit notes, particularly apples and pears, yeast, bread notes, alcohol, and faint hops.

Taste: Begins with a smooth malt character with spices, notably cloves and pepper. Strong, sweet alcohol is also a strong presence. Later the taste assumes a somewhat vinous quality. Finishes dry with a mild, but lingering floral hop note.

Mouth feel: Smooth and full with lots of carbonation, excellent.

Drinkability/notes: An extraordinary brew, one of stunning quality and devastating strength, to be accorded respect and savored with deliberation. This is a beer of rare quality. (912 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Pours a pale yellow with a touch of haze. A bright white head starts out hefty and loudly fizzles down to a sturdy cap. Lots of bubbles from the heavy carbonation.

Smell: The aroma is subdued with a touch of fruit, a flowery note, and chalky yeast. Great balance between the different scents, as they blend together so well it's a bit hard to pick each one out.

Taste: Overall, the balance swings to the sweeter side, with fruity esters of pear, apple and banana. There's a peppery spiciness that hangs in the forefront. Hint of clove...hint of hops... The yeast brings a chalky, powdery flavor to the table. That same suggestion of a flowery character from the smell is here too. The different flavors are integrated really well, with no one flavor trying to take attention away from the others. A bit of tartness is present, from wheat being in the grain bill. Ends with a slight phenolic note, as well as a touch of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: On the thinner side of medium with a highly carbonated mouthfeel that has a touch of creaminess. Like all of Unibroue's beers, the alcohol is extremely well hidden, only showing itself on the finish with a smooth dryness.

Drinkability: Damn good for it's strength. Not to sound like a broken record, but 'nobody' can hide alcohol like Unibroue. They make a 9%abv brew taste like a 5% brew, with only the aftereffect showing otherwise. Another great brew from Unibroue! (1,431 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue