La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,475
4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Cloudy, pale yellow in color with fluffy white head. Small bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Head dissipates slowly leaving nice lacing behind.

Beautiful citrus aroma full of fruity and spicy notes. The taste is wonderful. Fruits seem so well balanced with hops. Slightly sweet, slightly dry finish. Light to medium body. Very rich. Alcohol is well hidden and only apparent through warmth of this beer.

The time between sips keeps decreasing. I am growing impatient as my body and mind crave for this beer's wonderful flavor. Is it possible that the name refers to how you feel when you realize that you just finished your last bottle? I wouldn't mind if this was my last beer at the end of the world.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

The beer poured into the chalice with a slight haze and pale golden amber with a white head which rose, but fell quickly and laced the glass.

The aroma was nicely citrusy and fruity with a spicy presence. The fruity aromas were strong and plentiful and as the beer warmed a nice pepper spice character developed.

The flavor was nicely achieved with a sweet malty presence and a roundness of wheat coupled with a light peppery spice and a light bittering and citrus. The fruity flavors were pleasant and very well done. Also present was a nice earthy character.

The finish was even and almost dry with a light spice and a nice fruity character long into the afteraste. The body was medium and a the mouthfeel was nice with the higher carbonation level. Have had this one many times before and will most likely continue to have it. Dunno why I never reviewed it before, but tonight seemed like the perfect time.

750 ml corked and bailed bottle.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - A very pretty, hazy gold color with a slight orange tint. Large, fluffy white head with staying power that leaves a nice amount of lace, though not a huge amount.

S - Yeasty smell with some fruity tones. Perhaps pears and apples. Some spicy smelling malt aromas as well.

T - A nice dry flavor that's very crisp with some spiciness to it. Some fruitiness in there too, perhaps berries or tart grapes and a tiny bit of hops. I am quite the hophead at times but in this brew I don't miss a big hop punch as the tiny hints of hops contribute o the sweet and spicy flavors rather nicely.

M - Very pleasant, some nice carbonation and very slight alcohol warming at the end.

D - For a higher alcohol beer this is as drinkable as I've ever tasted. A nice medium bodied beer that goes down smooth and tastes great.

Notes: One of my favorites for a long time, I finally got around to reviewing it. Those Unibroue characters really know what they're doing.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into large red wine goblets.

Pale orange, very pretty, with a small off white head that shrinks to wisps. Strong belgian yeasty aroma. Strong esters of fruit. Way too fizzy. There is a short, harsh bitterness followed by moderate candi sugar. Apple mostly. Thick. Alcohol noticeable. Not very smooth. Full bodied.

Overall: I'm not a belgian connoisseur first and foremost. I had a hard time finishing this.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750 ml bottle

Has a rather large, thick head. Good retention. Slightly cloudy golden color.
Smell has hints of yeast with fruit undertones.
Taste starts out fruity with a wonderful crips hop flavor. Perfectly balanced. Truly amazing.
Mouthfeel is very good. Not too bubbly.
Overall, this is an excellent ale. Highly recommended and I will definitely have again. Of the few I've had, this is Unibroue's best.

Reviewed again 5/20/06
Poured from a 750ml into a Leffe goblet. I've had this beer several times and it has always been a favorite.

Poured a golden/orange color. Opaque. Lots of small bubbles and good lacing. A large white head with large bubbles. Quite nice to look at.

Aroma is spicy and slightly citrus.

Taste is of sweet malts and some light citrus. Spiciness also comes through. Lightly dry at the end. Alcohol content was quite evident, much more so than I recall in my previous bottles.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied and quite cleansing. Smooth. Overall, this beer is still quite impressive though it was slightly less so than when I had it previously. I found the alcohol presence quite strong and this made it less drinkable. Of course, still a beer that I will have again.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

I cant believe I havent reviewed this beer until now. Its one of my favorites.

The beer pours from its cool labelled bottle a hazy honey color. The head is impressive, its billowy and leaves great trails of lace. The aroma is incredible. As complex and inviting as you can imagine. Theres a sweet aromatic malt with a wonderfully fruity edge; passionfruit, apple, raspberries come to mind. Hops are floral and minimal.

The taste is packed with berries, rock candy and spices with a stiff alcohol warmth. Hop flavor and bitterness is very low. There is a surprising dryness however thats a characteristic of Unibroue house yeast. The finish is long and sweet, though not too sweet. The mouthfeel is incredibly thick and creamy with carbonation. You gotta love Botttle Conditioned Belgians.

This is a fantastic beer. One of the first 'good beers' I tried and definitely as good as anything you can get in Belgian.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow hue with a nice frothy white head that retains well. Aroma is impressive and shocking, huge grape and citrus scents, candy sugar sweetness, floral hops, spices (corriander, clove, anise) and a fruity yeastiness. Taste is very complex, flavors of grape, lemon and orange peel, spices (corriander, clove, anise), candy sugar, bready malt and light floral hops and phenols. Mouthfeel is light and crisp with a slightly sweet finish and slight alcohol notes. Extremely impressive and delicious, alcohol is barley noticeable, definately one of the best beers in the world.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

golden in color somewhat unfiltered looking. No lacing to speak of. Chunky cloud like head that was mountainous. High alcohol content is evident, had a bit of spicy but fairly mild in that department. complex ale, but fairly mellow in the body...Hops were subdued. Malt character was mostly fruity and balanced the hops, but hops were the man of the house. tempered by the warming for sure. I liked this brew and would reccomend this as nightcapper material or pre nightcapper if your a veteran.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

Simply put, one of the best beers I've ever enjoyed. This one stands out even amongst the Unibroue herd, and is really a delightful beer. It pours a gorgeously unfiltered/hazy dark golden color with a head that won't quit. The aroma is complex to say the least, with yeast, hops, and a fruity sweetness all detectable to one extent or another.

The taste is excellent, with an initial fruity sweetness and a crisp aftertaste. It's a very complex taste, that challenges your palate without being confusing. This beer's a sipper at 9% alcohol content, but the flavours do a great job of masking just how quickly this one could put you on your backside. The mouthfeel itself is also excellent, with just the right amount of carbonation.

Recommended to fans of good beer.... this is the one that Quebec should be proud of.

4.57/5  rDev +6%

750 ML corked and caged bottle.

A large white head atop a cloudy bronze greeted me after the pour. A little less than half-finger of head stuck around throughout the first snifter, but I got only minimal lacing with the second pour. I can easily smell sweet fruit, clove and malts even though I have a bit of a cold. Banana flavors among other fruity esters accent the spices, clove and malts nicely for a sweet, yeasty taste that finishes dry, but not too dry with a touch of warming alcohol.

It's the end of the world as we know it et je me sens très bien!

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

La Fin Du Monde.... Ahh was looking for this for a while. Got a bottle at Purvis Wine Merchants.

A = Poured a golden yellow with a thick foam head that lingers. Unfiltered.

S = Fruits. Sweet fruit.

T = Initial taste of sweet fruits which then morphs into a spicy pepper finish.

M = Slightly viscous. Lightly carbonated.

D = Only thing stopping me from giving drinkability a 4 is that its a little expensive.

Very good beer none the less. I definitely reccommend it.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

25 oz bottle shared at Zeno's. Pour into a tulip a nice cloudy golden color with a very thick and persistant white head. Smell is light- sweet fruity and yeasty. Taste starts with sweet malt which turns into a very nice fruit flavor which is difficult to place. Perhaps very sweet oranges. There is also some good spicy hop flavor to balance it out in the finish. Very balanced and tastey brew. This has a very nice medium full mouthfeel with some significant carbonation that suits this beer very well. This is 9% ABV but it's hard to tell from the taste- very well hidden. I have no doubt that it is in fact present however- this stuff hits hard. Dangerous and wonderful. "End of the World" indeed.

2.8/5  rDev -35%

A - Poured a cloudy orange/amber with a monsterous frothy white head that lingered for a long time. Intense carbonation visible. No lacing, too bad.

S - Very weak odor. Mostly carbonation. Some flowery notes and a little banana and pear esters. No alcohol scent. Too bad the carbonation smell dominates and the undertones are so subtle.

T - At first, I thought the beer possessed a very potent metallic flavor, but after a little progress, I could barely taste it. It is a sweet beer, a slight citrus against a wheaty malt taste. Alcohol is completely hidden. None of the flavors are that amazing, and the metal just tainted my view.

M - Thin, the carbonation is a little harsh, a bit drying. Unibroue's other works I've tasted were absurdly refreshing. This one is anomalous for them. Sure the abv is absent in the taste, but its astringent nature is dessicating my poor mouth.

D - Not very good. I think I'll steer clear of La Fin du Monde in the future. It wasn't a terrible beer, but for the price and the brewery, I expected more. Its strong point is that the 9% abv is obfuscated, probably under the powerful carbonation.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Had this from a bottle, at of all places, in a really nice pool hall. (i don't play pool, it was my first time there and was shocked to see the extensive beer menu). It was my first "real" beer and was surprised to find it wasn't as heavy as I feared it might be. The mouth feel was surprisingly light although I could "taste" the alcohol after I swallowed it. In a way it kinda reminded me of sam adams summer ale. (PLease don't yell at me if that is an inappropriate comparison) Although I could not see what it looked like, (in fact I was unable to see light through it at all) I imagine it was darker than almost anything I've ever had. the smell was absolutly wonderfull and I imagine if I built up a tolerance I could drink a few at one sitting...not a session, that would be a shame (and expensive).
I do, however, have a serious question, are you supposed to drink the sediment at the bottom? I did and found it raunchy. I would appreciate an answer because I plan to try it again.

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- hazy golden orange with a fluffy white head.

S- very sweet and fruity. most notable aroma is of apricot and yeast.

T- starts off sweet and fruity, similar to a hefe. finish has some mild hop bitterness. mild alcohol aftertaste

M- medium to thick feel. a little chewy with a a nice balance of carbonation, but still very smooth.

D- dangerously easy to drink @ 9%.

overall- where is that 9% hiding at? besides the very faint hint of alcohol in the aftertaste, its very similar to a beefed up hefe. very smooth with a hint of hops makes for a very enjoyable beer.

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured a hazy yellow color, with a small, egg shell colored head that left no lacing on the glass. Both the aroma and taste was full of sweet citrus, light sourness, yeast, and some alcohol in the finish. The mouthfeel was moderately carbonated, its not one of my favorite Belgian styled beer, but its retty decent.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

( Served in a tall chalice)

A- This beer pours a hazy light orange with a big rocky white head

S- Orange zest and light pale malt notes with a slight tart quality and some faint hops

T- Orange notes with a nice soft malt quality. A very nice bitter hop finish that reminds me a bit of German hops. No real alcohol taste very smooth and balanced. As it warms some spicy almost peppery notes come through.

M- medium mouthfeel with a faint note of fizz. No astringency or alcohol warmth

D- Wow for having 9% ABV this was a very gentle smooth beer that had lots of good qualities and a nice finish.

3.43/5  rDev -20.4%

This brew pours a golden yellow color with a huge fluffy white head. After 5-10 minutes the head dissapates down to a thin light layer. Lots of bubbles are seen coming up from the bottom of the beer. Spicy, of cloves, banana (very much like a hefeweisen), some citrus, a little alcohol in the finish. Drinkability is lower because it was so spicy. I don't think I would really want to drink more than one of these in a sitting.

Overall though, a tasty unique Belgian-inspired brew that I will most likely try again when I'm picking up an assortment of singles.

3.46/5  rDev -19.7%

Popped the cork on this, got a nice puff of smoke. Poured into a chalis, Cloudy Orange. Head faded fairly quicky leaving only traces around the edges.

Smell is cirus, tangerine, lime, orange maybe. Also some hops cutting through.

Noticed some malt flavor upon first sip that was not really present on the smell, but defineatle present in tasting. Good amount of carbonation but still seemed kind of flat, I guess the lack of any head may account for some of that, Alcohol noticeable on the finish
but other than that, it's disguised very well. not bad, not as good as I expected. Paid $8 for this bottle but would probably only pay about $5 or so. Overpriced for the quality in my opinion.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours out a murky gold with a thick white creamy white head that recedes leaving big webs of lace. Looks really great.

Smell is quite fruity, with lots of pineapple and banana at the front mixing with a healthy yeast scent and the tiniest bit of alcohol. Very clean in the nose and quite nice to sniff.

Taste is quite good, a yeasty pale ale with lots of banana overtones, tropical fruit, and a bit of a bite on the back end. Not as aggressively spicy as a lot of brews in this vein, but quite good nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is crisp with zinging carbonation and medium-bodied.

Overall: Quite nice; I had been slowly trying the Unibroue line when I couldn't find other, "weirder" brews, but I might run through all of them now.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

Opaque and straw hued, topped with fluffy white carbonation. Chunks of yeast swirl and float. Head fades a little too fast.

Aromas have a hint of orange, grass and something that comes across as mango. Balanced, but not overwhelming in any particular manner.

Nicely balanced flavors, again with some orange, mangos and unrefined sugar. Sweet up front, dry on the finish.

Very smooth mouthfeel, coats exceptionally well without cloying.

Extremely drinkable, especially since it's 9% abv. Very nice and clean and a great Summer refresher.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Brown with gold hints, and a pleasing aroma of yeast and citrus fruit. It strikes a great balance between fruit and yeast flavors too, along with some sweet floral notes. Quite carbonated, with no overpowering alcohol flavors. Refreshing enough to be consumed in hot weather, yet warming enough to be consumed in the winer. Well done!

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

La Fin Du Monde according to Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.

From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.

But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great

And would suffice.

750 ml bottle Pours allmost clear pale golden with a dense creamy-white head supported by strong beading with good lace. Clean malty aroma with tart lemons mixes with weaker Belgian spices - clove and yeast. Flavors similar to aroma. Smooth & creamy mouthfeel. Finishes fairly dry, low hops expose flavors of sweet malts with only a slightly bitter bite of alcohol in the aftertaste. This really works well and it is most drinkable expecially for 9% ABV.

Definately worth trying before you perish! Carpe Diem.

Its the end of the review, and I am feeling fine!

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

I'll start out by saying that I'm not a real belgian drinker, so this review comes from someone that isn't really all about the style. That being said...

It's the color of the sun... That's the best way to describe it. It's yellow, and cloudy. It has a very floral smell. Smells sweet.

Sipping it, you feel how thick it is, mostly because it's got a bunch of alchol in it. But fizzy. Tiny fiz. That's another "Best way to describe it". Tiny little carbonation bubbles.

The taste is of rose, and sweet floral esters. There's a mild bitterness in the back that hits your nose 2-3 seconds after the swallow.

It's pleasent to drink, and the 9% alcohol is well balanced. Gives you anice warm sensation.

Even though Belgiuns aren't my favorite, this beer was pretty good.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

12 oz. bottle, approximately a year old - best before 6/15/07. Served slightly chilled in a tulip glass. Pours a golden orange/yellow that is slightly cloudy and has a 1 inch white head that sticks nicely. Smells like orange juice, lemons, spiciness, pepper, yeast, and cloves. The orange juice aroma is slightly off-putting. The taste is virtually the same but with coriander and a mild bitterness. It is very malty with a lot of sweetness and a thick body with medium carbonation. It's good, but I remember it being even better than this.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue