Microbrew Invitational

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue
Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

La Fin du Monde was developed through 18 months of research on a unique strain of yeast originating from Europe. It is brewed in honor of the intrepid European explorers who believed they had reached the “end of the world” when they discovered North America ‘the new world’. This triple-style golden ale recreates the style of beer originally developed in the Middle Ages by trappist monks for special occasions and as such it was the first of its kind to be brewed in North America.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,917 | Ratings: 9,804

Licorice and root beer candies is what the first sip gives me. It reminds me of my childhood, drinking a old soda pop, but cutting the sugar. Grown up and sophisticated. Smells slightly of an earthy root beer plant. That's all I can really say, it hides it's alcohol extremely well. This is a future desert for me when I don't want something sweet.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

At the top of the Tripel category with 2,888 reviews and almost twice as many Hads as the #2, I'm highly unlikely to add much value in a review. I ditto those who prefer this ale among Unibroue's fine collection.

But, I also will offer this comment: as the Fin Du Monde warms during the meal, it really becomes two distinct ales, though obviously related. When the food is hot, the beer cools and calms the palate and complements the spices along the way. (I last had this ale with Thai pad thai.) But as the meal finishes, the ale flavors get stronger and it boosts this process if you pour the yeast in at end of the bottle.

Interestingly, MJ's 1999 edition gave this 2.5 stars out of 4. (I wonder if this recipe and brewer has improved significantly in two decades.?) MJ's simple, short reviews (who I should learn from) was: "suggestions of honey and anise.) The master says: KISS, Keep It Simple & Short.

4/11/16 Tasted again... new flash...
The alcohol interferes with the taste of the tomato/basil sauce; really overwhelmed the food at the end. Next time, I'll try this as prelude to the food. As for the 4 pack I just bought, I think I'll store the remaining 3 for the 2018 date and see if it cools off.

3.44/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

I don't know what it is about this brewery. It comes with a taste that reminds me of biting into a salad. It ruins the beer for me.

Best thing about this is it's consistency. Very smooth and goes down fine. Worst thing - the taste. Just can't get into it.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden with a truly luxurious head. The aroma has pears, lemon, yeast, faint banana, spice, flowers, sweetness. Very nice. A complex taste, with the spice, yeast, and fruits from the aroma coming back. High carbonation, which makes this a dangerous beer to open. Alcohol burn is present. This is great! Head and shoulders above other North American tripels like New Belgium's. Worth every penny.

4.57/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: pours a rich golden yellow color. a big two finger white head with strong retention and leaving behind a nice frothy lacing. pretty much opaque due to some haziness and the occasional sediment.

Smell: strong yeast character, fairly split between phenols and esters, with notes of banana, pepper, clove, and pears. wheat and lightly sweet malt. light amount of alcohol.

Taste: opens up opens with a little bit of banana mixing with pear. phenols take over with a good amount of clove and a lesser amount of pepper. malts are nice and sweet, ranging from a pale/pilsner to a little bit of caramel. small amount of alcohol plays in near the end.

Mouthfeel: moderately bodied. easily drinkable but better when enjoyed slowly. small amount of warming and lingering alcohol. light lingering sweetness and yeastiness.

Overall: A top level beer at a killer price and great availability. I don't revisit nearly as much as I should but this is one of the most approachable beers into the wonderful world of Belgian beers. a must try for all beer drinkers.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Truly a fantastic beer. Complex, just jam packed with flavour. Excellent example of a Belgian Tripel, especially since it's not from Belgium. If you're looking to get your feet wet with this style, (especially if you live in Canada), give this one a go.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Belgians, and this one particularly didn't sit well. Clear, overcarbonated, yeasty, and watery, Not worth the high price unless you really love Belgians.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Been a fan of this beer for long time.

Look-pours nicely into tulip glass, nice carbonation.
Smell- typical Belgian tripel
Taste- prob my fav tripel. Nice yeasty finish
Feel- diggin the carbonation on this.
Overall- much more of a quad fan than tripels or dubbels but this is quite simply a very good, well made beer

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap, poured into a tulip. Typical banana and cloves on the nose and palate. From what I'm told this is an excellent representation of the style...one that I must not be into.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried it in a beer fest with over 50 other beers and this stuck in my memory as the best I had that night!
Awesome tripel from our neighbours, eh?! one beer not to miss on this planet.

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into tulip glass. Marked best by 06-10-18. Paired with homemade tikka masala curry for dinner. One of my perennial favorite beers.

Look: Clear, light gold in color. Two fingers of fluffy white head. Lots of lacing.

Smell: Classic tripel smell of banana and Belgian yeast.

Taste: Banana bread, dry finish.

Feel: Bursting with carbonation, I assume because of the bottle fermentation. This actually complements the sweetness of the beer, making it more refreshing. A little too sticky sweet at the end.

Overall: Excellent example of a Belgian tripel, especially for not actually being Belgian.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy golden color, with a small bubbly head. The head has a particularly interesting appearance to me, wherein rather than looking like one singular entity, it looks like it's composed of a large amount of small individual bubbles that just happen to interlock. Anywho, great appearance.

Smells of banana, caramel, Belgian yeast. The fruity aspect of this smell is definitely very present.

The taste is generally quite similar to the smell. Taste is subdued, yet very appealing. Mouthfeel is dry, with high carbonation.

I am not that familiar with the style since earlier, but the few examples I've had (Chimay White etc) have all been disappointing to me. This is not. Very satisfying taste, which is both simple and nuanced at the same time - with a drinkability that makes you forget the 9% ABV. Most excellent!

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance- Hazy golden yellow, pours thick white head that bubbles down to a nice thin lace.

Smell- Bananas, raisins, flowers and sweet spice.

Taste- Spices and fruit, Belgian malts and honey. A nice sweet alcohol aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Effervescent and dry. A nice alcohol burn in the finish. This beer goes down easy and is truly enjoyable to drink.

This is a very tasty tripel. I love Belgian style beers and this is one of my favorites.

4.36/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I don't normally review styles I'm not very familiar with but I am so impressed by this I'd like to give it a go. So... 8-7-15 poured into a tulip. Cloudy caramel colored w dense off white 1 inch head w great retention. Nose is sweet, dank and old orange peel. Hint of champagne. Taste threw me off because it didn't follow the nose as much as I'd thought it would. I expected more sour and yeast but was surprised by how sweet and mild it was. Leaning towards more mild orange but more of a citrus blend. As it warms I'm feeling the body change from light to medium light. I thought it would be more carbonated. Overall I'm very impressed with this beer. Surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. Cheers.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Ummmmmmmmmm, wow. I do not want to overstate things, but this is one of the very best things I have ever put in my mouth. Let's just leave it at that.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

To start, let me say I am new to the Belgian style. Color is very pleasant and nose is of malty yeast and lemon. Mouth feel is full with pleasant carbonation. Taste is similar to the nose and lingers a full ten seconds. Not sure if this is representative of a triple but I do like it.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Nice straw color with one inch head. Slightly Cloudy
S: Smells of fruit and flowers
T: Sweet fruits and spices
M: Feels almost overcarbonate but not in a bad way. Medium Body with smooth taste
O: This will be my highest rated beer to date. It is certainly a world-class beer. The character is phenomenal and the complexity is wonderful.

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great tripel. It has a champagne smell and a great feel in my mouth. It's not super sweet, like other tripels are. I would definitely put this on at my bar.

3.92/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bomber into a large tulip.
Pours a medium slightly hazy straw color with tons of head and great retention.
Aromas were mild, and plenty yeasty more saison yeast than traditional Belgian IMO.
Flavors were nice yet mild, very drinkable. Mix of yeast and bread flavors, mild notes of spice. Again, very nice but not what I was expecting in a triple.
Mouthfeel was clean and excellent.
Overall this was a good beer but clearly didn't wow me like it does others.

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into pint glass in December 2015. The drink by date on the bottle was 10/10/2017.

Appearance: Dark gold with light tan head. Beer is not cloudy, and very carbonated. Head is almost white and very thick, and leaves a thin film on the glass.

Smell: Aroma filled with mix of malt, a little caramel, and some hops. Also some earthy tones as well. Nice variety and balance.

Taste: There is a nice mix of sweetness and with just a little bite from the hops. There is are citrus flavors, and I get some caramel flavors, some spices, which are balanced with a bit of hops. There is a little alcohol bite as well. This was done in a nice combination with the other flavors. There is a nice variety of flavors in the aftertaste too.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied. Medium to strong alcohol, which confirms the 9% on the bottle.

This is a smooth full-bodied Tripel, and one of the best Tripels I have tasted. It is an interesting combination of flavors, and I would drink this again.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, BB 08-07-18
A - towering, persistent white head holds excellent retention leaving clumps of foam on the glass as it slowly fades atop an opaque and effervescent golden colored body - stunning
S - spicy, yeast, wheat, earthy hops
T - excellently balanced with notes of spicy yeast, earthy hops, wheat, pale malt, honey, and faint orange zest
M - full body, very creamy and smooth, effervescent and delicately carbonated
O - it's been a long time since I had this one! It's fantastic as always!

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hazy light golden with a beautiful creamy/frothy head.

Smells like yeast, bread, banana?? Cloves??

Taste is very sweet, apple, yeast, pear, malt.
Delicious. Cant sense the alcohol at all. I drank two of these now and I do not regret it.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

Tons of flavor, without the alcohol intensity you'd expect given the ABV. Good mild citrus notes, good selection of spices to go with it, and all-around rewarding.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured a cloudy golden color with an opaque-ness that seemed to glow when held to the light. There was a very fluffy white two finger head that showed traces of unfiltered yeast in the foam. The smell was intriguing with a yeasty zest mixed with some fruity banana or pear and a hint of spiciness. The taste started out with some fruity banana notes again with a heavy yeast that faded into a excellent malt character with just a hint of hops. The feel was almost champagne like with the carbonation dancing on the tongue. This is a wonderful drinkable triple that hides the abv well. Very good beer.

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%

Perhaps the best looking beer I've seen, this pours a cloudy gold with an everlasting half-finger of dense, clingy white perfection on top. Wow. Aromas are many with yeasty esters, banana, sweet light malt, and apples. Flavors are completely different - a semisweet fruitiness that's fantastically malty. This is delicious. Uh oh.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue