La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,826 | Hads: 9,301
3.55/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: murky sunshine yellow, thick, frothy, soap bubble head with awesome staying power
Smell: fruity, sweet with a mild sour/mildew characteristic
Taste: malty and sweet, too sweet, a variety of condensed fruit, with a little hop bite at the end
Mouthfeel: full, rich, thick foam, the best part of the brew
Drinkability: unfortunately just to overbearingly sweet for me, but I'm a crisp clean lager guy, I rate it above average for it's unique flavor and complexity (476 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -19.5%

The end of the world is a golden orange sunset, adorned with an elegant – though dissipating lace. There’s no explosions, just a subtle fire to spicy a mellow, alcohol laden brew. The banana and clove aroma is soothing while the flavors are simple, delicate, and diverse. Hints of pineapple in the hops were most surprising while the majority of the notes were standard fruits and spices. This is an average interpretation of an awesome style. Though light on body, this brew was quite drinkable. C’est la fin du la monde, et je me sens bien. (545 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

I used the glass I had available. Not a snifter. I used a Pint glass. Nice clean dark yellow color not much head. The aroma was spicey with a light fruitiness. the taste was at first sweet then a strong spicey, peppery middle with a kind of light malt sweetness on the finish. I probably would have gotten more aroma from the proper glass. Very tasty with a consistant prickly carbonation throughout. (400 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a hazy gold color, with an incredibly effervescent carbonation driven thick off white head. Aromas of garden fresh vegetables, spicy yeast, cider, and blooming fields of wild-flowers, all waft from my glass. I am greeted by a refreshing, spicy, sweet first draught of this effervescent brew. It tingles on my tongue as it goes down. An incredibly smooth, well integrated brew, it just seems to want to be quaffed, which, is quite dangerous given a beer of this strength. La Fin Du Monde indeed!

Quite appropriately this is sharp and spicy at various points. I get note of hay, bergamot, hint of pepper, lemon, an herbal bite, and some vanilla. Overall it definitely has some interesting soft citrus notes as well as some appetizing acidity. This is an awesome brew from a currently great brewery, let’s hope it stays that way. (836 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

appearance:Pours a nice slightly cloudy golden yellow with a big frothy head that drops to a ring of foam that leaves slight lacing on the glass. Each drink brings more bubbles up from the class.

smell: Popping the cork brought out cidery and spicy smells. A little fruit smell was also present once I got it into the glass.

taste and mouthfeel: Smooth and some sweetness from malts. Moderately high carbonation gives it a little bite on the finish, along with alcoholic warmth. Has a spicy taste with a light bitterness.

notes: Not near as much yeast and fruit flavor as I was expecting from this beer. Nice with alot of flavors that need to thought about to really pick out of the beer. Good, but probably not my favorite style of beer to begin with. (764 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle: Poured a golden beer with a huge bubbly head with average retention. Aroma is a mix between something sweet which might be candi sugar and wheat. Taste is very refreshing with again a nice mix of candi sugar, wheat and something a bit spicier, which I cannot identify. Body if medium with great carbonation. I truly love this beer even after more then ten years of drinking it. Must be commanded just for helping discovered the fabulous world of beer. (459 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

First, let me explain that I am an Englishman living in Maine (im a student). I've found it near impossible to get a good beer round here, despite the claims of many microbrews.

La Fin du Monde pours wonderfully, a big lively head that bubbles away, but yet the beer itself is perfectly carbonated naturally. 5 minutes out of the fridge and this beer was as smooth as silk on the tongue with a lush caramel hint with the tang of hops coming through. This beer just smells and tastes like a Beligian Ale should, the sweetness really comes home. At 9% I was expecting a kick/harshness; there was none.

This is a real sipping beer, not one to be knocked back. The taste stays strong and smooth, and this is after the bottle has been opened and out for close to 2 hours. A real beer to savor over the course of an evening, and one I shall be getting again.

Allagash take note, this is how it should be done. (912 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

It felt like I had to wait until "la fin du monde" (end of the world) for the head to subside. Poured very cloudy for a Belgian Ale, but I was quickly taken by the plethora of hops that were readily apparent. Unfortunately having a minor head cold did not help the cause. The triple fermentation seemed to reduce any hard after tastes that are usual for high ABV ales. Overall; quite impressed. Unibroue has done "la Belle Province" proud. (439 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Bubbly, pale gold appearance with a tall 2 inch rocky head crowning outside the goblet. There is a good deal of streaming carbonation in the underlying liquid. The head dies down in a fairly short time, leaving lots of lace around the glass.

Aroma is perfumey-sweet with notes of bananas, grapes, cane sugar, and hay. In short, what I expect from a Belgian, but without the funky sour notes.

Taste is sweet (pears, apples, caramel, cherry) with a dose of lime-lemon sourness. There is also a peppery zest in the aftertaste. The overall taste is a bit milder than I anticipated. There is a lot of creamy smoothness, and a mellow blended quality with none of the flavors stepping in front as dominant.

This is a very nice take on a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, but is not quite in the same class as the great Duvel. I do hope the new owners of Unibroue leave this one alone. (877 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thick white head. Rising from the frothiness of the head is a beautiful fruity aroma of bitter green aplles and pears. A slight hint of floral as well. The taste was very fruity with apples, pears, and the slightest hint of lime. There was also a strong bready taste, which I have never beed fond of. Too yeasty in my book. (356 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden yellow with a huge, hard to control pure white head - be careful on this pour. Head diminishes to 1/4 inch, where it resides until the bottom of the glass. Subtle lacing. Aromas of white grape, wine alcohol and freshly chopped wood shine through. Initial feel is intense carbonation - very fizzy and active on the tongue. First taste yields sharp grapefruit tartness with other miscellaneous fruity tones coming on strong. Sadly, this burst of flavor doesn't stick around long and abruptly gives way to an oaky and warm alcohol aftertaste. I found the flavor to be somewhat lacking in complexity compared to others I've had from Unibroue. The alcohol here is physically present (1/2 glass is enough to feel it) but hardly noticeable in the taste. This beer was good - I would have it again, but I was a bit let down by comparison. (843 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

The glass rapidly fills with a big white head. The beer is golden, pale enough. It smells fruits, malt and spices. In mouth, the alcohol is on the frontline, more than for the Fringante who proposed 10% ABV. Lemon, coriander and other sweet components stick to this alcohol and malt and leave a warming astringent feeling. (322 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -5.8%

The pour was golden-yellow with a good three-quarter inch head that quickly dissapated to a white lace on top of the beer. The lace held on throughout the drink and stuck to the sides of the glass.

The smell was a mix of flowers and cirtus, almost lemony in nature. Just a hidden hint of spice that only showed up as it warmed.

The drink started very carbonated and sweet, not an overpowering sweet, just the right sweet. It was followed by a slight hint of hops, just enough to balance the sweet citrus attributes, and finished with a lingering citrus.

This is a damn tasty beer, it would go great with food or just sitting around with friends talking about beer. I hope to happen across this beer again, and soon. (724 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

The End of the World arrived in my glass an orange-yellow color and held thick lacing. A great beer to look at and admire.

The smell was a foggy and floury (and yeasty) orange peel and spice, but it was too little and too far away for me..

The alcohol in the taste seemed somewhat overpowering. It diminished as I drank, but never really completely put me at ease. An orange liqueur taste felt its way through--and I thought of Grand Marnier. An ample hop finish.

The mouthfeel was really lacking for me in this otherwise
uni(brou)que brew. (550 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +7%

Ah! The end of the world is coming! Yup, it's sitting in my Corsendonk tulip glass and I love it. Poured out a dark pale yellow with a huge head that settled down quickly. Smell consisted of mostly citrius notes mixed in with some malts. A whiff of alochol is there too but not that much. Taste was great. Some sweeten malts mixed in with some spiciness and exotic fruits and/or pears. Smooth and creamy going down as well. Another terrific brew from Unibroue which is gaining quite a bit of respect from me lately. (515 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

This poured to a subdued yellow and gold color with a good amount of head. It shrank but still did a good job of lasting. The lace is thin but coats much of my glass.

The smell is somewhat fruity and very solid. The taste has hints of banana and other fruits up front and a bit of pepper in the finish. It's very full of flavor while retaining a relatively light body.

I've had other similar ales recently that let me down. La Fin Du Monde is exactly what they wish they were. This is strong yet balanced, and it is very good overall. (540 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden, hazy color with a decent head,. This smells strongly of yeast and spices.

Very nice taste a little overpowering so I'm not likely to have several. The alcohol is felt but not bitingly so. The mouthfeel is pleasant and bubbly.

Another good brew from Unibroue. (281 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Pale and clear big foamy head, but very little lacing. Smells real good, and the taste backs it up. Amazing flavor. I think this is a great beer. Better than the sum of its parts. Like everything from Unibroue its a tasty beer. Definitely will buy this on a regular basis. (272 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -42%

Very nice packaging is the best I can say about this brew. Having read the other reviews I had to check the bottle again to be sure we are talking about the same thing. Aroma was pleasant although not very pronounced. Carbonation was disconcerting and left the tongue tingling. Perhaps I just don't like this style but it appeared to be someones kid sister's attempt at making champagne in her Easy-Bake oven. (409 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a cloudy gold brew.

Smell is sweet and spicy clove aroma with fruitiness. Perfume scents are in there with the alcohol scent.

Taste is sweet and spicy with a rose flavor. Lots of perfume and spice flavors to this.

Mouthfeel is good.

Very drinkable brew, I could drink this all day. (299 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

La Fin Du Monde is a beer that I thought would just blow me away. I enjoy the Belgian strong pale ale style, for starters, and I really did anticipate being blown away by this one. And for my particular palate it's good, but not great.

The Fin poured well enough, leaving a tighly constructed head that didn't linger too long. The coloring was an orange-yellow hue, lots of floating sediment. Well carbonated, true to the style. Nose was ok, but not overly impressive. Hints of fruit and malts mixed with a definite alcohol twang.

The taste was kind of muddled for me. Not overly sweet, it still managed to be a bit cloying. Hints of fruits, figs perhaps. Slight apricot overtones. Good balance between the malts and hops. Very slight bitterness. The sample got slightly better as the beer warmed. Not overly complex.

The mouthfeel was kind of muddy and slack. I expected a more carbonated presence in the mouth, but I came away with a slightly earthy feel. Not appreciably smooth. Drinkability was good considering all of the factors. High ABV, slightly noticible in the mildly metallic aftertaste.

Not something I'll go out of my way to get again. There are better Belgian strong pale ales in my opinion (Delirium Tremens comes immediately to mind). Still not too bad, though. Glad I gave it a shot. (1,313 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a beautiful golden hue with a nice foamy white head, which to my disapointment, didn't stick around too long. I believe this beer tastes like a clean duvel, faint notes of spice and hops. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp. Drinkability is great for a beer of this alcohol content (9.0). Unibroue makes some fine fine beers and this is one of my favorites. I think that this beer would make a great introduction to Belgian Pales. (429 characters)

Saved for my 500th Review.
Pours a hazy golden sunrise color with a tremendous towering white head that slowly dissipates in chunks leaving a rocky lace and spider webs across the glass. Nose is lots of fruity esters with notes of banana, clove, bubblegum, and a bit of spicy alcohol. Fairly full in body with a very fine champagne-like carbonation that is oh so smooth. Taste begins with a good deal of fruitiness (nectarine, pear, peach, mango, and white grape) and flowery honey blended with peppery clove. Next comes some powdery yeasts and a bit of bready malt followed by a touch of drying alcohol (which, considering the 9% ABV, is very well hidden indeed). The End of the World—the flagship beer from one of the world’s finest breweries, and one of my all-time favorites. Simply delicious. (800 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance:
Cloudy pale yellow. Head is light and dicipates quickly. Overall it's nice looking.

Smell:
Smells like sweet wheat with hints of peach and clove. Interesting smell that I really enjoy.

Taste:
Sweet and light... has a complex flavor. When first in mouth it has strong fruit flavors. Peach and hints of banana. After than a slight bitterness comes in. Finish has wheat accents.

Mouthfeel:
Feels thick in mouth. Coats tounge well and leave a crisp aftertaste.

Drinkability:
A great beer. Tastes really good and goes down really smooth. (561 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Let me just say first off that I'm going to review this as a Tripel, cause thats what it seems more like than a strong pale ale. It is also triple fermented, so why not?

Poured into a tulip goblet, beer poured a straw yellow with a nice fluffy head. Scents of fruit, belgian yeast and alcohol present. First sip, hints of apple, pear, and hops. Finish hides its 9% ABV well. This one had mellowed for about 6 months since I had bought it. Might try another for significantly longer. I should add that I am normally not a big fan of tripels, but this one pleased me greatly. A very smooth, drinkable beer despite its high ABV. (629 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue