La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,846 | Hads: 9,376
4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle: Poured a golden beer with a huge bubbly head with average retention. Aroma is a mix between something sweet which might be candi sugar and wheat. Taste is very refreshing with again a nice mix of candi sugar, wheat and something a bit spicier, which I cannot identify. Body if medium with great carbonation. I truly love this beer even after more then ten years of drinking it. Must be commanded just for helping discovered the fabulous world of beer.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

First, let me explain that I am an Englishman living in Maine (im a student). I've found it near impossible to get a good beer round here, despite the claims of many microbrews.

La Fin du Monde pours wonderfully, a big lively head that bubbles away, but yet the beer itself is perfectly carbonated naturally. 5 minutes out of the fridge and this beer was as smooth as silk on the tongue with a lush caramel hint with the tang of hops coming through. This beer just smells and tastes like a Beligian Ale should, the sweetness really comes home. At 9% I was expecting a kick/harshness; there was none.

This is a real sipping beer, not one to be knocked back. The taste stays strong and smooth, and this is after the bottle has been opened and out for close to 2 hours. A real beer to savor over the course of an evening, and one I shall be getting again.

Allagash take note, this is how it should be done.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

It felt like I had to wait until "la fin du monde" (end of the world) for the head to subside. Poured very cloudy for a Belgian Ale, but I was quickly taken by the plethora of hops that were readily apparent. Unfortunately having a minor head cold did not help the cause. The triple fermentation seemed to reduce any hard after tastes that are usual for high ABV ales. Overall; quite impressed. Unibroue has done "la Belle Province" proud.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Bubbly, pale gold appearance with a tall 2 inch rocky head crowning outside the goblet. There is a good deal of streaming carbonation in the underlying liquid. The head dies down in a fairly short time, leaving lots of lace around the glass.

Aroma is perfumey-sweet with notes of bananas, grapes, cane sugar, and hay. In short, what I expect from a Belgian, but without the funky sour notes.

Taste is sweet (pears, apples, caramel, cherry) with a dose of lime-lemon sourness. There is also a peppery zest in the aftertaste. The overall taste is a bit milder than I anticipated. There is a lot of creamy smoothness, and a mellow blended quality with none of the flavors stepping in front as dominant.

This is a very nice take on a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, but is not quite in the same class as the great Duvel. I do hope the new owners of Unibroue leave this one alone.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thick white head. Rising from the frothiness of the head is a beautiful fruity aroma of bitter green aplles and pears. A slight hint of floral as well. The taste was very fruity with apples, pears, and the slightest hint of lime. There was also a strong bready taste, which I have never beed fond of. Too yeasty in my book.

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden yellow with a huge, hard to control pure white head - be careful on this pour. Head diminishes to 1/4 inch, where it resides until the bottom of the glass. Subtle lacing. Aromas of white grape, wine alcohol and freshly chopped wood shine through. Initial feel is intense carbonation - very fizzy and active on the tongue. First taste yields sharp grapefruit tartness with other miscellaneous fruity tones coming on strong. Sadly, this burst of flavor doesn't stick around long and abruptly gives way to an oaky and warm alcohol aftertaste. I found the flavor to be somewhat lacking in complexity compared to others I've had from Unibroue. The alcohol here is physically present (1/2 glass is enough to feel it) but hardly noticeable in the taste. This beer was good - I would have it again, but I was a bit let down by comparison.

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

The glass rapidly fills with a big white head. The beer is golden, pale enough. It smells fruits, malt and spices. In mouth, the alcohol is on the frontline, more than for the Fringante who proposed 10% ABV. Lemon, coriander and other sweet components stick to this alcohol and malt and leave a warming astringent feeling.

4.06/5  rDev -5.8%

The pour was golden-yellow with a good three-quarter inch head that quickly dissapated to a white lace on top of the beer. The lace held on throughout the drink and stuck to the sides of the glass.

The smell was a mix of flowers and cirtus, almost lemony in nature. Just a hidden hint of spice that only showed up as it warmed.

The drink started very carbonated and sweet, not an overpowering sweet, just the right sweet. It was followed by a slight hint of hops, just enough to balance the sweet citrus attributes, and finished with a lingering citrus.

This is a damn tasty beer, it would go great with food or just sitting around with friends talking about beer. I hope to happen across this beer again, and soon.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

The End of the World arrived in my glass an orange-yellow color and held thick lacing. A great beer to look at and admire.

The smell was a foggy and floury (and yeasty) orange peel and spice, but it was too little and too far away for me..

The alcohol in the taste seemed somewhat overpowering. It diminished as I drank, but never really completely put me at ease. An orange liqueur taste felt its way through--and I thought of Grand Marnier. An ample hop finish.

The mouthfeel was really lacking for me in this otherwise
uni(brou)que brew.

4.61/5  rDev +7%

Ah! The end of the world is coming! Yup, it's sitting in my Corsendonk tulip glass and I love it. Poured out a dark pale yellow with a huge head that settled down quickly. Smell consisted of mostly citrius notes mixed in with some malts. A whiff of alochol is there too but not that much. Taste was great. Some sweeten malts mixed in with some spiciness and exotic fruits and/or pears. Smooth and creamy going down as well. Another terrific brew from Unibroue which is gaining quite a bit of respect from me lately.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

This poured to a subdued yellow and gold color with a good amount of head. It shrank but still did a good job of lasting. The lace is thin but coats much of my glass.

The smell is somewhat fruity and very solid. The taste has hints of banana and other fruits up front and a bit of pepper in the finish. It's very full of flavor while retaining a relatively light body.

I've had other similar ales recently that let me down. La Fin Du Monde is exactly what they wish they were. This is strong yet balanced, and it is very good overall.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden, hazy color with a decent head,. This smells strongly of yeast and spices.

Very nice taste a little overpowering so I'm not likely to have several. The alcohol is felt but not bitingly so. The mouthfeel is pleasant and bubbly.

Another good brew from Unibroue.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Pale and clear big foamy head, but very little lacing. Smells real good, and the taste backs it up. Amazing flavor. I think this is a great beer. Better than the sum of its parts. Like everything from Unibroue its a tasty beer. Definitely will buy this on a regular basis.

2.5/5  rDev -42%

Very nice packaging is the best I can say about this brew. Having read the other reviews I had to check the bottle again to be sure we are talking about the same thing. Aroma was pleasant although not very pronounced. Carbonation was disconcerting and left the tongue tingling. Perhaps I just don't like this style but it appeared to be someones kid sister's attempt at making champagne in her Easy-Bake oven.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a cloudy gold brew.

Smell is sweet and spicy clove aroma with fruitiness. Perfume scents are in there with the alcohol scent.

Taste is sweet and spicy with a rose flavor. Lots of perfume and spice flavors to this.

Mouthfeel is good.

Very drinkable brew, I could drink this all day.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%

La Fin Du Monde is a beer that I thought would just blow me away. I enjoy the Belgian strong pale ale style, for starters, and I really did anticipate being blown away by this one. And for my particular palate it's good, but not great.

The Fin poured well enough, leaving a tighly constructed head that didn't linger too long. The coloring was an orange-yellow hue, lots of floating sediment. Well carbonated, true to the style. Nose was ok, but not overly impressive. Hints of fruit and malts mixed with a definite alcohol twang.

The taste was kind of muddled for me. Not overly sweet, it still managed to be a bit cloying. Hints of fruits, figs perhaps. Slight apricot overtones. Good balance between the malts and hops. Very slight bitterness. The sample got slightly better as the beer warmed. Not overly complex.

The mouthfeel was kind of muddy and slack. I expected a more carbonated presence in the mouth, but I came away with a slightly earthy feel. Not appreciably smooth. Drinkability was good considering all of the factors. High ABV, slightly noticible in the mildly metallic aftertaste.

Not something I'll go out of my way to get again. There are better Belgian strong pale ales in my opinion (Delirium Tremens comes immediately to mind). Still not too bad, though. Glad I gave it a shot.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a beautiful golden hue with a nice foamy white head, which to my disapointment, didn't stick around too long. I believe this beer tastes like a clean duvel, faint notes of spice and hops. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp. Drinkability is great for a beer of this alcohol content (9.0). Unibroue makes some fine fine beers and this is one of my favorites. I think that this beer would make a great introduction to Belgian Pales.

Saved for my 500th Review.
Pours a hazy golden sunrise color with a tremendous towering white head that slowly dissipates in chunks leaving a rocky lace and spider webs across the glass. Nose is lots of fruity esters with notes of banana, clove, bubblegum, and a bit of spicy alcohol. Fairly full in body with a very fine champagne-like carbonation that is oh so smooth. Taste begins with a good deal of fruitiness (nectarine, pear, peach, mango, and white grape) and flowery honey blended with peppery clove. Next comes some powdery yeasts and a bit of bready malt followed by a touch of drying alcohol (which, considering the 9% ABV, is very well hidden indeed). The End of the World—the flagship beer from one of the world’s finest breweries, and one of my all-time favorites. Simply delicious.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Cloudy pale yellow. Head is light and dicipates quickly. Overall it's nice looking.

Smells like sweet wheat with hints of peach and clove. Interesting smell that I really enjoy.

Sweet and light... has a complex flavor. When first in mouth it has strong fruit flavors. Peach and hints of banana. After than a slight bitterness comes in. Finish has wheat accents.

Feels thick in mouth. Coats tounge well and leave a crisp aftertaste.

A great beer. Tastes really good and goes down really smooth.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Let me just say first off that I'm going to review this as a Tripel, cause thats what it seems more like than a strong pale ale. It is also triple fermented, so why not?

Poured into a tulip goblet, beer poured a straw yellow with a nice fluffy head. Scents of fruit, belgian yeast and alcohol present. First sip, hints of apple, pear, and hops. Finish hides its 9% ABV well. This one had mellowed for about 6 months since I had bought it. Might try another for significantly longer. I should add that I am normally not a big fan of tripels, but this one pleased me greatly. A very smooth, drinkable beer despite its high ABV.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%

What a great experience this beer was. I've had to change my review on it having polished off 8 of them this month. At first, i wasn't sure about this beer (or the Maudite), but I have discovered that they are really fine brews.

The head quickly diminishes and leaves you with a bright yellow pint of beer. Smells like a hoppy wheat beer and has similar grapefruit notes.

The taste is outstanding. A blend of pear, hops and alcohol that don't overpower each other, but rather fit smoothly into one another.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the first Belgian Golden Ale Ive ever tried, so I dont have anything to compare this to, if its a good representative of its class. Juding from its rating on BA Top 50, I trust that it is.

I love the pour which produces an ample head that quickly evaporates away, leaving the golden blond color of the beer. The smell is of hops, spice and malt and has a smooth, sweet taste and a pleasant mouthfeel. I gave it a high drinkability rating as I find it quite enjoyable and always look forward to my next one.

A fine product by Unibroue out of Quebec with 9% abv. Farily accessable here in Massachusetts and well worth the approximately $8.00 per bomber that it sells for.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

Best by date of 3/18/05. Poured a fizzy bubbly pale golden color. White head formed, but sank quickly. Smell was spicy, bready, yeast-dominant. Sweet scents slowly drifted upwards, along with a cidery fruitiness. Taste is unbelieveable. Peppery tartness, hint of alcohol, fades into a spicy dry finish. Mouthfeel is warm and smooth, not so much piqueing the interest of any particular sensation as much as massaging them all at once. This is one helluva beer, just wish the head lasted longer than 20 seconds.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours with a firmly-retained head of foamy, small, pure white bubbles that clumps slightly and slides easily back into the glass after a swirl. Beer is a color like translucent (but not truly hazy) goldenrod with straw-gold highlights. Turbulent, racing carbonation sends a few yeasties into convection currents along the sides of the goblet. Almost all of the aromatic nuances seem to belong to the light, sweet, estery yeast. A consistent clove/coriander spiciness is, with warmth, joined by vodka-soaked bananas in a slightly bready nosefeel that finishes dry. Juicy and softly malty up front on the palate; sustained by a spicy tartness moving from clove to ginger (particularly in the aftertaste) and a finish of slightly grassy hops. At room temperature, flavors of banana bread crusts, lemon pith, and powdered sugar emerge. Spiky mouthfeel with an alcoholic warmth and a pearish mealiness; mellow dry spiciness in the finish. Although I love this beer, I prefer less breadiness and more effervescence in a Belgian Strong Pale. Perhaps this is why IMHO this beer is the perfect accompaniment to scrambled eggs or quiche.

The first time I had this was in a dive selling all their oddball beers for a buck! Out of the bottle I though it was good, I saw the ABV, I thought it was great. Later I found a fresh 750ml and tried it out of the proper glass... OMFG, this beer is perfect!

Popping the top you get a whiff of green apples and a puff of gunsmoke. Pouring this incredable beer results in a slightly hazy body crowned by a creamy mound of white foam. Sweet and fruity with apples and pairs in the begining a perfectly balanced bitterness give a dry, spicy finish. With a moderatly full mouthfeel, crisp carbonation, and peppery finish this beer even feels good to drink. At 9% this beer is no joke, but it hides it so well.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue