La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,846 | Hads: 9,377
4.87/5  rDev +13%

A straw color with a huge foamy white head and nice lacing left behind. High carbonation present. A very sweet yeasty smell with a nice aroma of fruits. Pear comes to mind. The taste is a sweet tangy blend of fruits. Apricot and pear standout. Floral traces and a extremely sweet sugary taste. Robust spicy flavors and a warming alcohol feel. To say the least this is a very tasty beer and I know what I'll be drinking if armageddon comes around.

Notes: I picked up a bunk 750ml once but haven't had any carbonation problems with the 12oz. bottles.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Cloudy with yeast and golden copper in apperance.
Sugar, yeast and fruit in the aroma.
Sweet sugar, appricotts and light caramel in the flavor.
This is a great beer. Some people I have talked to have said that it is way to sweet, but imo it's a great belgian style ale.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Presentation: Comes in a dark brown, 33 cl bottle with a foil top with the Unibroue logo. The label has description of the beer on the back in French and German, as well as a picture of the recommended serving glassware — a very nice touch. Best before date of 9/4/06. Poured into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours a very hazy, cloudly brown/yellowish color, a dull apricot. Very dark and cloudly, with no light coming through. Nice one finger white head with amazing head retention. Very thick, uneven crown of lacing around the sides of the glass.

Smell: Amazing yeast aroma with hints of sweet citrus, orange peel or tangerine. Sweetness is balanced by spicy aromas of cloves, corriander, pepper.

Taste: Nice, smooth citrus nose blended with cloves and corriander. Alcohol is well concealed and not evident in the taste, but there's still a warming effect. Until the beer warms or sits for awhile, a little heavy on the carbonation for my tastes. The flavor is hugely complex, with a hint of apricot and a little bit of a strange, but not unpleasant vegetable flavor (a reviewer of the standard version likened it celery). The finish is fairly dry, with a little bit of hops. Near the end it becomes sweeter, with some simpler apple flavors and a sweet fruit aftertaste. Awesome.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth mouthfeel. The carbonation is initially a little too high, but it settles down about halfway through.

Drinkability: Due to the very high alcohol content, this one isn't a session beer. Obviously. But it's a great one to sip slowly and savor.

I haven't tried many Belgians (or Belgian beers produced by Canadian companies and exported to France, as it were), but this is the best of the bunch so far. Reminds me of a more complex, better balanced version of Chimay Blue. I enjoyed it in France and I'll be buying more once I'm back in the US.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Cloudy yellow color with a head that stays for a while, and leaves a lacing. Smells fruity, with some spice as well. The fruit seems like an apple smell. The taste is like the smell, some apple there, as well as a caramel flavor. This is well complemented by a sharp cheese. The mouthfeel is excellent, just the right amount of carbonation. Despite being 9% La Fin Du Monde is easy to drink, and I am usually not satisfied with only one. This is one of my favorite beers.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a beautiful golden cloudy color with a thick head that gives way to a thin head that lasts throughout the pour. The scent is alcoholic with a marked fruit aroma. The taste is liek a drier tripel. Subtle grassy notes, light sweetness with a crisp and slightly bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is good, very carbonated but appropriate for the brew. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, as though it has very little residual sugars, but I love how it nips at the front part of my tongue and leaves it slightly sour. Love this stuff.

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Really one of my favorite Trippels out there. Very nice head, appropriate carbonation for the style, also appropriate light color. What I particularly like about this trippel is that it is nice and fruity. Something like Westmalle is a little dry and plain for me. La Fin du Monde is just a little sweet and fruity...really tasty.

3.06/5  rDev -29%

I'm new at "experiencing" beer, so forgive the lack of very specific flavor/aroma commentary.

Poured in the glass, this created a nice looking white head over a cloudy golden body. Very attractive, even though I'm not drinking it from the prescribed glass shown on the bottle. The head persisted as a sort of "cap" over the beer for the better part of my drinking it.

Goes down so easy that I'm in shock that it's a 9% beer. I've had "malternatives" that tasted more like alcohol than this! Amazing. While the style is not my first choice for a beer, I'd been told that I really needed to try something from Unibroue and this one was it. Almost enough to make me enjoy pale ales, actually. I taste coriander and a lot of other, complex flavors that I am too n00b to identify. As for aromas, just a very pleasant yeast smell.

I think I've said enough for someone who has very little in the way of insight to share.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Pours a bueatiful hazy golden color with nice white cap of ever rising bubbles. Smells good light fruity apples, bananas, oranges and spice. Tastes so smooth malty sweet fruity, zesty just the right amount carbonaton tantilizes the tounge. This beer is scary drinkable at 9%, never know by consuming one. Very good beer complex flavors that blend to one great brew from Unibroue, these guys rock.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

Presented in a 750ml bottle with a wire cage-wrapped champagne cork. Pours a cloudy golden-orange with a beautiful white, frothy head. Carbonation is right on, too - smallish bubbles just keep on coming, even after letting it sit a while. Wonderful nose of Belgian yeast, orange peel, herbal spice, and a whiff of alcohol. Even better on the palate - more orange peel, lemon, yeast, confectioner's sugar, hint of coriander. Frothy mouthfeel. Finishes mild, sweet, and dry. A beautiful beer.

4.44/5  rDev +3%

Minor problem with good brews like LFDM? Lack of drinkability at 9% ABV, but that doesn't kill the love. Neverending, tiny champagne bubbles rise to a solid head that ain't goin' nowhere. Surprisingly light color in the gaze.

Scents of awl-kee-hol get up in my nose. Did I mention the never ending bubbles? I did? A little extra bubbly texture going down the hatch. Easy flavor of raisins and straight up balance guide this brew as a well put together strong yeasty blend. Hmmm, this is complex. Sometimes a beer is one or the other. Can't decide if it's an ale, or Belgian, but it matters not. This is both. Mmm, mmm. This deserves a better than average on all acounts. The scary thing is, I take back my first sentence. I actually could drink these all night. Do me a favor and wake me up in the morning.

Last swigs: Delicious, like dessert. Champagne like feel to the tongue. Sweet but not too sweet - reminds me of Cananda Dry a bit. The flavor summons so many nuances. Complex: Celery, apricots, peaches, ginger ale: yeah, it's that good.

La Cost du Wallet? $52 US dollars a case of Unibroue mixed 3x8 for this Maple Leaf Country yummy. High - maybe but this is a standard entry for good strong stuff. I'm still drinking it. Flavor is consistent & rock solid throughout the drink.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

This pours a hazy pale yellow with a small white head. Excellent lacing drapes the glass. I'm not sure why, but I really enjoy the look of this beer.

The spicy aromas embrace the nose with notes of citrus, pepper, and spice. I love the smell of a good Belgian style ale.

The smooth taste is sweet with the aforementioned citrus, pepper and spice characteristics perfectly balanced.

This is a crisp easy drinking beer with a strong bite of carbonation. This is a very refreshing and exciting beer to consume. No real strong alcohol presence in the mouth, although there is some warming from the 9% ABV.

Another great beer from Unibroue that I would be happy to drink over and over and over.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: This beer had the color of honey as it sat in the tulip glass. When it was held up to the light, it was a hazy, pale yellow. The head rose up big, almost exploding when I roughened up the pour, even a little bit. It was stark white and fairly coarse. It became a little rocky as it dissipated (which it did rather quickly), but not as much as its true Belgian cousins usually do. A thin layer of bubbles remained capping the liquid for the entire drink, due to the fairly strong bead.

Smell: The aromas of spice and alcohol dominated the air above this beer. The alcohol component was very round and pleasant. Not at all harsh like other light beers with this high of an alcohol content. Along with the aforementioned aromas was a fruitiness (mainly banana, lemon, and orange) as well as notes of raw grains and grass.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied with a very smooth feel up in the front of the mouth. As it slid back on the tounge, it picked up just the right amount of carbonation tickle. The alcohol also contributed to some of the tingle in the back of the mouth.

Taste: There were a ton of different flavors going on in this brew, though for the most part, they were rather subdued. The very first flavors upfront were those of sweet grasses and malt. These were quickly joined by a sharp spiciness that was reminiscent of both cloves and white pepper. Some apple kicked in at this time as well, which ended up developing into a banana sweetness as it continued into the finish. The finish became a combination of both dry and slightly sour. Almost tannic, but in a good way. There was some alcohol in the aftertaste, but not very much; this beer did a great job of hiding that 9% abv.

There was a good amount of yeast on the finish of this brew, even when decanted off the dregs. But toward the end of my drink, I swirled the bottle and added all the "good stuff" to the glass. This caused the aroma to be completely dominated by yeast, but had a surprisingly small effect on the taste. The flavor softened up a bit, and there was a little more yeast on the finish, but that was all.

This is my first time with this beer, and only the second that I have tried from Unibroue. (They don't distribute to Kansas, surprise, surprise). A very good, very solid beer. I was surprised that some of its characteristics came across as being almost wheat-like in nature.

This brew goes down way too easily for a beer of this strength. This one could jump up and bite you in a hurry.

A big thanks to noclueaboutbeer for hauling this one out to Kansas all the way from Connecticut.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

This beer pours honey-gold, white a white head. Aromas of honey, clove, citrus. The tastes are clove, peach, orange peel, honey, lemon, pepper. The mouthfeel is smooth, slightly syrupy. It finishes with clove, lemon, and orange peel, followed by alcohol warming.

This has been one of my favorites for a while, but the last time I cracked open a bottle, it was flat. An email to Unibroue got the answer that they were having cork problems, and that their distributors would replace defective bottles. When I mentioned this at my local beer store, they gave me a new bottle, gratis!

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Dated best before 04-08-06
Boy, is this an exceptional beer. Wonder why it took me so long to get here.
Presents with a sweet, yet light, sugary, fresh and slightly alcohol aroma. Very nice.
Quite pale yellow to slightly gold color, but white fizzy head. Cloudy.
A pleasing effervesent quality up front that smooths quickly to a light pale malt flavor. I served it warm, which I believe helped soften any sharpness. Lightly fruity with a little lemon quality at the end.
Real smooth and warm in the stomach. Finely carbonated makes it tingly, but not overwhelmingly so.
Smoother and less biting than others of similar style that I've had. I like the contrast of light color and light feel with a bold presence and strong alcohol.
A very enjoyable beer.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle into a Piraat tulip glass...
Pours out a cloudy orange-yellow with a nice fluffy head that's fairly well retained. Smell is malty and sweet with some spice and banana. Taste is exquisite, with peach overtones at first going into malt and clove-like spiciness with some banana essence amidst that lovely alcohol backbone. Another absolute winner from Unibroue. Vive la Quebec!!

4.7/5  rDev +9%

12 ounce bottle purchased at the North Coast Co-op in Arcata, California.

Pours deep yellow, very cloudy with carbonation bubbles ascending steadily. Big, sudsy inch-thick head that's leaving a creamy band of lace around the glass.

Opens with peppery notes. Sweet malts follow, leading into lemon rinds, fried bananas in caramel sauce, and fresh bread.

Malts blanket the tongue. Alcohol and spiciness -- gentle hops and citrus -- crowd in and find their place. Aftertaste is of hops and lingering alcohol sharpness, warming my throat and stomach. Wow, that spiciness, I feel it behind my nose, pleasantly, like wasabi without the wasabi, just the tingling warmth in the sinuses.

Mouthfeel is perfectly creamy, rich, holds up like it should under the weight of so many loud flavors.

This is a beer to be taken seriously -- confident and dead-on delicious.

La Fin Du Monde, translated into English means End Of The World -- according to my roommate who studies French. The name, audacious as it is, along with the apocalyptic label graphic, fits this beer like a perfect pair of devil horns.

If the world were ending and I had to choose a handful of beers to die with, I would definitely consider this one. It's the best of the pale Belgians I've tried so far.

High ABV is why I'm scoring taste and drinkability with a 4.5.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

The color is a golden-honey with white spongy-looking head that bubbles. It smells yeasty with a hint of cloves. It tastes spicy and it has an orange peel flavor. There is more carbonation than your standard beer, but it is very light and easy to swallow for a highly carbonated beer. Aftertaste leaves an alcohol flavor in your mouth. This beer is very good in my book. It goes down easy.

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

Time to give Unibroue a fair review. My first beer from them was a Maudite, consumed straight from the bottle after a night of micro-drinking. Completely unobjective. This one gets my full attention.

This one comes to me in a 12-oz bottle, with an expiry date in the far-off future. It has an interestingly light straw color, with twinges of hazy-bronze when held to the light. It has a nice large head that settles down to about a quarter of an inch. No lacing to speak of, blame that on heavy-handed dishwashing.

The smell is classic Belgian strong pale ale. I am overwhelmed at first taste: there is so much going on here it is hard to pick out individual flavors. Very much like a smoother-on-the-palate Duvel. A beautiful blend of sugar, alcohol, grain, and effervescence. I'll have this one again.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

To date the best in the lot of the Beers of the World gift pack received for Christmas. This golden brew poured a generous fluffy white head that is lacing nicely down the side of my pint. Initially this had a bread like smell that was soon taken over by the spices and fruits that are in this beer. My first taste (not to mention the subsequent sips) was heavenly, an awesome piece of brewing that blends together a highly carbonated combination of malts, hops, fruits, and spices. The mouthfeel is wonderfully full. This beer is one I will seek out in the near future!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass, with an everlasting medium-sized fizzy white head forming, which left behind thick lacing when the glass was tilted. The beer was a pale golden color, and cloudy, with a snowstorm of particulates swirling around driven by large fiz bubbles. After a few minutes, the fizzy head became much finer in texture, and remained voluminous. The nose was lovely, with juicy nectarine, dry yeast, coriander, subtler citrus aromatics and the slightest hint of alcohol. The taste was assertive and delicious, wtih a somewhat tart dry malt backbone, and an up-front sensation of coriander. This was followed by ample flavors of bitter orange , leading into lemony citrus, finishing dry with an appropriate bitterenss, lingering coriander, and refreshing zippy citrus. All flavors were balanced masterfully. The beer had a very satisfying body, with a good level of carbonation. This was a highly enojyable beer that I will certainly buy again. Unibroue knows how to whip-up a good Belgian.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Pours beautifully. The color is an enchanting rustic yellow with a fair amount of sediment drenching the bottom and clinging to the sides of the glass. Frothy and dense head (It took turns) that laced better than well.

Spicy clove like aroma with some banana, yeast, nectarines and alcohol. Quite the odd combination.

Tastes good. Champagne like body. Peppery clove, spices and green melon. Very smooth and it represents itself very well ine mouth. Delicate but throughout. Nice.

Nice stuff.

4.97/5  rDev +15.3%

Tasted 1/16/04 at our little Extravaganza Belgique.

Ok, so our final tasting wasn't truly Belgian, but it's so good and I had one ready to drink, so we figured, why not?

Alluring orange-yellow with a pure white head and a brown drop of yeast shaken from bottle's bottom. Soft, bready aroma, almost like an orange scone. Flavor is full of the yeast, with bright citrus fruit and a beautifully crisp finish. Amazingly smooth in the mouth, with no evidence that this brew hides a potent 9% ABV. Crisp and easy drinking. Orange, lemon, spices, yeast, wheat--wonderful.

This became my new all-time favorite the first time I tasted it, and drinking it again makes me pretty happy all over again.

Spoils of the 10/11/03 Knoxville Raid.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

It pours a hazy, light honey golden hue, alluring in its veiled nature. There's a rather thin white head with little retention, settling quickly to a bubbly cosmic swirl on the beer's surface. There's sparse, dotty lacing.

The initial inhale brings a tangy citrus semi-sweetness. Berry notes mingle with a clovey spiciness. There's an aromatic backbone of yeasty sourness with a very subtle mint undercurrent. It carries an almost indistinct alcohol aroma as well.

The first taste delivers a very understated malt sweetness that quickly gives way to spicy grapefruit, studded with cloves. A substantial dry hoppiness tingles across the tongue. A slight berry sweetness tangles playfully with a mildly doughy yeast essence. The alcohol is well interspersed with the dense, multi-dimensional flavor, but it is detectable, and is happily foreboding.

It's medium bodied, slick, and almost creamy. It coats well and brings flavor to all it touches. There's a spicy hops glow at the finish.

Nothing about this beer is less than interesting, and everything is well more than just enjoyable. This beer, you savor. The flavor relegates the malt to second status, but it still manages to assert itself enough to joyfully balance the menagerie of buoyant tasty waves born elsewhere. The muscular but subtle high ABV serves to enchant, making it pleasantly subversive. It's a wonderful taste of Belgium via Canada, a most fortuitous and satisfying route of delivery. Keep this one coming.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

cloudy gold with a medium white head. smell bready, with a banana-y fruity smell, with a hint of cloves behind that i pick up a little lemon too. the taste is pleasntly bready with a slightly citrusy bite (grapefruit..?) the cloves are also apparent here too. there are some hops in there but they are too subdued by the malt and yeast to pick out flavors. good thicker medium body. not the best unibroue, but definitely very good.

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%

Had this beer last Saturday night at a dinner party. Pulled it from my cellar after a moderate 4 years of aging. Poured same colour as usual, that is deep straw, with a respectable foam cap and average retention. Smelled much sweeter than a fresh sample but still had the spicyness I have come to enjoy. Mouthfeel was silky bordering on oily and very pleasing. The flavours had really melded together, adding complexity to the sampling and making the beer a real pleasure to drink. Caramel, and vanilla jostled with the fruit and spice, eventually coming up short against a mild but sustained bitterness. Well worth the wait. Wonder what an older bottle might yield.

750ml bottle sealed with a cork.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue