La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,474
4.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a slightly hazy(once you pour in the yeast, yum) deep yellow with a copious head. The aroma is classic - overripe banana leads the way, followed by clove, and rounded out by the always unusual bubblegum. The flavor leads with a sweet bubblegum, followed by a wheat like flavor, with a spicy clove and cinnamon finish. This is a beast of a beer. I love Tripels, and this is a magnificent example of the style. What else can you say about a modern classic.

For a long time this was my all time favorite beer. That was when I almost exclusively drank Belgian beer and Stouts. Although it has fallen from my top spot I still have to say it is my favorite Belgian style beer and in my top ten. The mouth feel, the gentle sweetness, the smell and color all do it for me and I remember the first time pulling the glass away from my lips and me saying "this is the BEST beer I have ever had!" But I digress, I love you Fin Du Monde and I'm happy to say it bolstered a few points for Canada in my book.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Now this was some damn good beer!! When I saw 9%, I thought that it would've hit me hard when I tasted it. But instead, it was quite smooth. It smelled good, looked great, and tasted great. Definitely a beer I would recommend trying if you can. The bartender recommended this, and I had thought that maybe he was just trying to push this because it was one of their newer products, but I was very very glad that I took his recommendation.

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice cloudy yellow. Nose is fairly mild- that nice Belgian yeastiness comes through and I also get some subtle spicy and fruity notes. The taste is where this beer really shines. At 9% ABV, I was expecting something complex and interesting but hard to get down. This beer is extremely well-balanced and drinkable. You could tell me I was drinking a 6% abv-er and I'd believe you- it's that smooth. It has almost white wine-like qualities. I get apple, pear, clove, and some breadiness. There is almost no bitterness and the alcohol is present only in the nice warming feeling as you get farther into the pint. Nice full mouthfeel.

This really is a world class beer. An instant favorite and one I'd seek out again. At 9% ABV, it is complex and hard-hitting but has absolutely zero off-putting qualities. White wine meets a better version of Delirium Tremens.

4.59/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a cloudy yellow with a thick rocky head. About 3 inches of head out of a bomber bottle. Has the classic sweet triple smell to it. Wow that's amazing. It has a very light awesome taste to it. Again it's light. It takes a minute to develop the flavor on your tounge. This is the lightest 9% beer I've ever had. So smooth. Can't taste the alcohol at all. It is fully developed and we'll aged. Just done right beer. Amazing. Leaves lots of lacing down the glass. If you find this, buy this. I found a bomber for 10 bucks. It's worth it.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Absolutely stunning bright hazy yellow color with a two finger fluffy white head

Smell: bready yeast, fruity esters, cloves, slightly peppery; Balanced and complex

Taste: Cloves upfront with candied sweetness and fruity esters midpalate, and a bready yeast finish

Mouthfeel: Medim bodied; Smooth as hell for 9%abv. Crisp and well carbonated

Overall: I am typically not a belgian fan, but between this and trois pistoles, Unibroue has turned me on to them. They are very rich and complex yet clean brews. It must be the yeast strain that i favor. Or perhaps that the sweetness balances very well with the yeast. I will be coming back to them when i want a belgian style beer

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, purchased at The Brown Derby Lounge at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Best by date: 12/23/17
Nice cloudy light yellow head with a 1 fingers worth of white bubbles.
Aromas of coriander, peach and yeast.
Taste has that nice Tripel funky yeast flavor too.Can't pick up on that 9% abv at all.
An excellent Tripel and was quite a surprise to find it at Hollywood Studios and was sure to head back and pick up a bottle to make the walk around the park more enjoyable! A tasty beer that has that great funky aroma and taste, but a nice crisp finish; makes you want to drink even more.

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A very refreshing beer. Good carbonation. Bright yellow color. Would definitely recommend trying.
Wouldn't be a regular beer for me but definitely once in a while.

Pours golden orange with a medium-thickness white head. The beer looks great in the glass.
Put simply, the beer tastes crisp while having a midly thick feel. You definitely taste the kick from the belgian yeast. It's a classic tripel which means don't expect any hopy aroma.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

An ol' classic finally gets its due from me. Here goes:

A: Cloudy orange-yellow. Has a massive, fluffy white head that leaves a ton of lacing. Plenty of carbonation throughout. Great for a Belgian, bottle-conditioned beer.

S: There are lots of clove, coriander, white pepper, and bread from the yeast. Also lots of lemon, orange, and sugar from the malt and candied sugar. Great.

T: Follows the nose. Lots of spices interspersed with sweet candied sugar and lemon and orange peel.

F: Nice and bready but also sufficiently crisp and well-carbonated.

O: A great Belgian brew. Been a long time coming for this review.

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a hazy burnt yellow with 3 finger white fizzy head. Moderate lacing. Nose had a hint of white pepper and orange zest. Very sweet taste without much pronounced malt. No noticeable hop flavor. The beer was creamy and a bit heavy, which I did not expect. I know this is supposed to be a great beer but I am having trouble with detecting any complexity. Perhaps I am having an off day. :(

4.19/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look-Color is a rich amber, pours two fingers of foamy head that retains very well.
Smell-Cloves, coriander, white pepper, Some faint fruitiness in there as well.
Taste-The spices hit first, but are then balanced by bananas and apples.
Feel-Full bodied but not heavy, very creamy on the finish.
Overall-Really excellent, balanced beer.

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Pours a golden orange with thin white head, retains well. Smells very much like oranges and lemon zest. Tastes like orange juice with alcohol. It is also bready, phenolic, and yeasty. The feel is chewy and the alcohol bite deters from the flavor a bit. Great brew nonetheless, but not the perfect tripel.

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle; tulip.

Appearance: hazy golden orange; 2 fingers bright white head fades to a thin ring. Not much lacing.

Aroma: grape, light clove, yeasty, fruity, kiwi, exceptionally complex.

Taste: quite sweet; fruity, red grape; apricot; plums; overripe banana; a regular fruit bowl; clean maltiness mid-palate, delightful finish.

Mouthfeel: slick, more effervescent than it appears. Medium bodied. Clean finish.

Overall: easy to remember why this is one of my all time favorites. Complex, sweet without being cloying, light and easygoing all at once. A Belgian fruit bomb worth seeking out again and again.

4.39/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Best Before 11.17.17. Drank 7.26.15. Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Tulip.

A: This beer can appear two different ways depending on whether you leave out the sediment or not. As for myself, I always swish it up, getting all of that cloudy goodness into the glass. That being said, it pours a deep golden straw with a fast riding three finger head. A wall of visible carbonation along the glass, riding to a slow fading head, leaving only a thick collar. Hold this up to the light and it damn nears glows.

S: Ripe bananas and spicy clove. Sweet malt (almost pear like?) buried by yeast... coriander, pepper. Aroma gets more interesting and complex with every passing minute of warming.

T: Spicy clove, sweet stone fruits, Belgian yeast, lemon bitterness, grassy. Enjoyable alcohol warmth. Improves as it warms, but starts to fall apart as it reaches room temperature... keep it chilled.

M:Medium body, very prickly carbonation, very noticeable alcohol warmth... and as others have said, it is an enjoyable effect.

O: A big bad Belgian that is easy to find, and worthy of whatever you have heard. Unibroue has yet to disappoint, and this beer has long been a staple of mine. If you like complex, yet nuanced beer, this will be right up your alley.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured into Weyerbacher Cuvee

L-Clear straw color, 1/2 inch white foamy head little little retention, thick lacing with little retention

S-Typical belgian aromas........banana, clove, fruity esters typical of Belgian yeast, spicy, peppery

T-Follows the nose, banana, clove, fruity esters, spicy, peppery, sugars

F-Carbonation is about what you would expect from a Belgian........slight pepper / alcohol burn as it warms the throat going down

O-quality Belgian.......accentuates the spicy / peppery characteristics of Belgian style

3.88/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Yields a completely hazed, sun-yellow color, with a small white head, leaving back a thick lacing.

Smells of an intriguing blend, featuring clove, cardamon, white pepper and slightly spiced dried fruit, especially lemon.

Has a high, very lively carbonation, enabling the peppery and sweeter spices and a very soft, dough ending. Drinks best in small sips, as for its intense spice profile.

Dough yeast brings peppery spices immediately to the palate, balanced by wild honey and spring flowers. Rock sugar adds to the prominent spices, almost creating a short burn, evoked by the high carbonation and the higher alcohol, gently coated up by the soft yeast. Finishes with rock sugar, amping up the spices even more, bringing back a flowery note and well pronounced clove.

Well working, old school triple, featuring a very pronounced spiciness, which defines the beer's taste throughout. Exhibits a fuller and very pleasant mouthfeel, with feathering yeast doing a great job in balancing the spice onslaught.

2.89/5  rDev -32.9%

i'm just gonna opine on this one since there's no basic description info I could add that has not already been said. I don't get the hype here, it isn't bad but it relies way too heavy on its yeast and has a very weak malt back bone, this causes the beer to both smell and taste fishy, it is not a bad beer, but I would in no way call it a good one, I've had quite a few tripels and I won't be buying this again, gonna age a few to see if it helps, but as I said before, this beer wears it's yeast on it's sleeve and allows it to do all of the heavy lifting, making the beer feel unbalanced, this beer tastes like three things, yeast, clove and banana, that's it.

Parting shot: if you've had tripels before and are considering this one. Don't waste your time. If you've never had a tripel before, don't let this be your first. For a perfect introduction to the style try westmalle tripel or st. bernardus tripel, just don't try this

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one delicious tripel. It has a cloudy honey gold color with a classic tripel aroma and with clove, coriander seed and a hint of banana.

Has a creamy smooth medium body with a slight effervescent feel followed by a long dry finish.

A strong beer with a full aftertaste of clove, coriander seed and banana.

Overall this is probably one of my favorite Belgian tripel style ales I've had.

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

This might be one of my all time favorite beers! Amazing! Fun! The cloudy, ancient looking color... wow! Yeasty, perfect carbonation, perfect mouthfeel... words only do this beer an injustice!

3.86/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A: hazy; medium gold in color; 1 finger white head that receded to a thin collar; OK lacing;

S: clove and banana;

T: clove and banana; a little bubble gum and black pepper; sweet finish with moderate bitterness;

M: medium bodied; moderate to high carbonation - effervescent; moderately dry finish; hides the ABV well;

O: at 9%, it's sneaky smooth; complex flavors;

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

330ml bottle. Appearance: Cloudy pale golden with a frothy white foam cap. Aroma: Strong clove phenols dominate over fruity esters of banana and pineapple. Taste: Sweet rich maltiness and banana esters up front. Strong clove phenols. Typical pear esters appear on the swallow. Motuthfeel: Medium body with some creaminess and moderately high carbonation. Not as carbonated as some other tripels, but also avoids alcohol heat. Finish: Clove spice on the swallow, but banana and pear esters longer long after. Overall: Aroma is good but maybe not as strong as some other world class tripels. Really well balanced flavor profile

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

With R.E.M’s It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine) blaring in my own private stereo, aka my brain, I approach the beer titan that is La Fin Du Monde, a brew with a reputation so mighty that a bottle of this in Australia retails for an eye-watering arm-and-a-leg $11.50 for a single 355ml bottle, when you know that it sells for at least 50% less than that in Quebec. Anyway, the life of an arm-chair jet-setting beer blogger is a pricey one... nonetheless I have it and I’m gonna review it, and there’s nothing I can do to quell the mounting hype inside my head.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Hazed pale gold body with a boisterous 2 cm fluffy white head that settles to a thin lace on top. Not bad La Fin Du Monde, or shall we simply call you ‘La Fin’ (laughing) for the rest of the review? Yes? Good. 8/10.

S: Aroma is more Witbier than Tripel with notes of coriander, candi sugar, clove and orange peel, not that I’m complaining, I love a good sharp Wit (I’m thinking of brewing a Witbier and calling it “Shakespeare’s Wit”, too much?). Hints of tartness lurk in the background and give the impression of a nice complex flavour profile. 8/10.

T: The Wit characters give way to that classic Tripel sugar rush, as the pumping beat of Röyksopp’s Compulsion (playing on my actual stereo) drives that glucose-induced high into my bloodstream. It’s not a massive sugar-bomb though, there is a certain restraint to the sugar hit not oft seen even from Belgian brewers. Rounding out the sugar are those coriander/clove notes, pepper, some orange peel, and a mild citric bitterness. Finish is a balance between pepper spice and bitterness, très bien. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied, a tad lighter than expected from 9% ABV but decent enough, with a medium sharp carbonation. 8/10.

D: So the question on everyone’s lips RE: La Fin, are we laughing now? i.e. does La Fin live up to the “World Class” hype? Yes and no, it’s a great brew, no doubt about that, but for the price Belgian brews such as Tripel Karmeliet trump La Fin completely, that is to say - there isn’t enough happening in La Fin to make it that much more worth it compared to TK. If the price were to drop down to TK’s Australian retail price of $6.90 then we would have a competition on our hands. As it is I’m glad I had the chance to try this brew, and I’ll stick to TK for my Tripel fix for now. 9/10.

Food match: Poached Loin of Lamb with Jerusalem Artichoke Puree or Poutine.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - 4.5/5
A beautiful hazy golden orange, with loads and loads of off-white foam.

Smell - 4/5
Belgian yeastiness and spices, as typical in a tripel. Perhaps a hint of banana.

Taste - 4.5/5
Yeasty and spicy, tastes thoroughly belgian. Some fruitiness. Only slight to moderate sweetness. Delicious take on the belgian tripel style.

Mouthfeel - 4.5/5
Moderate amount of high-intensity carbonation. I love the prickly sensation as the beer moves through my mouth and down my throat. Very crisp. Medium-full body.

Overall - 4.25/5
This was a pretty great beer. Don't know if I can recommend it enough.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Fantastic Belgian style beer that really tastes like the classic Belgians. Reminded me of a smoother version of Gulden Draak. Some fruit flavors. Bold with some interesting spicing but very drinkable almost TOO drinkable, this stuff would be dangerous on tap. Love love loved it.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue