La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,476
3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

This poured out a murky golden orange with about a half-inch of white foam sitting atop the body. No lace was left as this was consumed. Aroma was very spicy with notes of a lemony zest and a bit of yeast as well. The taste stays true to the smell with spiciness really dominating with a touch of fruit over a doughy backbone. Lemon and apple notes were the most distinguishable. A nice spicy bitter after taste ending this lovely brew. Mouthfeel was bubbly with about a medium body. Drinkability was good and I would definitely have this again in the future. All around good brew.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

Well I finally got ahold of this guy and am I ever glad that I did. The color is of a typical triple light in color however I had very little head that didn't stick around and no lacing. The smell is that typical lovely belgian smell with sweet smells of citrus and sourness. The taste came as a shock. This beer is as good as everyone says it is. Complex and just all round wonderful fruity and a hint of hops. This is a nice complex beer and a mouthfeel that you don't want to miss especially when you can feel it run across your tounge like a nice cold peice of ice, or something like that. Anyway I glad I only got a 4 pack at 9% I wouldn't be able to last much longer. I am sure these will all be gone soon.

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer poured a cloudy golden, not much head, not much lacing to speak of.
smell: very nice, fruity complex, hard to define.
taste: delicious! similar to smell , fruity and complex, a bit sweet and some grain.
mouthfeel is great, light and bubbly, just like champagne!
drinkability: Very high! this is one of my favorite beers! but, I can't drink them everyday, as they are high in abv, not a session brew! but great for a little something special once in awhile. Great Stuff!!!

3.99/5  rDev -7.4%

This is no doubt a good beer. It pours almost a dissapointingly pale yellow, with a nice head lace that remains fairly well. The smell is spicy with hints of fruit. The taste is indeed strong and over the top, as advertised. The alcohol comes through strongly, as expected. The clove spicincess of the yeast leads into the bitterness of the hops. I am not sure if I am missing something here, but to me, this is a good, but not neccassirily world-class beer.

Pours a hazy yellow color with a small white head that sticks around. The aroma has a fruity and citrus-like feel. The flavor is yeasty and malty and has some fruit character. The alcohol is also apparent in the taste. Great carbonation. Very good for the tripel style - great representation. I'll have this one again and again.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Presentation: 750 ml corked bottle

Appearance: Pale golden color with a thin white, quickly fading head.

Smell: Aroma is malty with a presence of ripe fruit. A slight yeasty bread smell with a faint alcoholic odor.

Taste: A malty, yeasty flavor mixed with dark fruit flavors (plum & dates). Alcohol can be easily tasted, but definitely not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, but maybe a little bit overcarbonated. A lighter body than expected with a smooth slightly dry finish.

Overall this is a great brew. A very good representation of the Triple style. This is definitely one of my favorite belgian style ales.

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

I would have to say this is one of my favorite brews of all time. I really love this beer. Even the name is awesome: "La Fin Du Monde" is French for "End of the World."

I poured it into a glass and it immediately formed a thick, three-finger head. Bubbles continuously rise to the surface creating a nice lacing once the head has receded.

The smell is strong and fruity.

The taste is very malty, almost sweet but not quite. Very smooth going down, and the Belgian spice is notable at the finish. The high alcohol content is masked behind these immense flavors.

I am in love with this beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Pours a deep golden yellow, with a smaller fizzy white head. Small bubbles continuously run up the side of my glass giving the beer a nice ring of lacing. The aroma is a wonderfully sweet malty smell, some citrus and many floral accents. The taste is a very sweet, malty flavour, much like the nose, great belgian taste, can taste the alcohol, but it is hidden pretty well under the taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and clean, but very carbonated. My mouth is tingling from the effervescence and alcohol. This beer is wonderful and i feel i could drink this forever

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Had I not read a review for this beer, I would have never picked it up for the goofy label. Quite decent though. Citrus and bannana aroma. Tasted almost like a hefe at first. Clove and floral hops came next. Short lived head and carbonation. By the time I finnished the 750ml bottle, the taste was a bit too lingering. Perhaps it got a bit too much air. Good value for a belgian strong ale though.

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle: Twist top brown bottle with silver foil. Lists “Ale on Lees”, 9% abv., triple fermentation, a blend of yeasts, translation of La Fin du Monde (the end of the world) glass suggestion (tulip, not flute) and a best by 05-10-07 (sampled in 08-04).
Aroma: Strongly of yeast, with a mild peppery spice. Vanilla and nutmeg notes in the aroma as well.
Appearance: A hazy peach nectar body topped by the fluffiest creamy paper white head. Strong carbonation streams noted. Stubborn patches of lace fight gravity as I join with this delightful brew.
Flavor: Heavenly. A spiced fruit flavor. The fruit goes for the golden, apricot, honeydew melon, dates, and oranges. The spices are light and complimentary; nutmeg, light coriander, vanilla. There is a drying, almost dusty aftertaste that lingers as a shadow of itself. No alcohol flavors noted until the beer warms a bit, but fair amounts of the Belgian yeast flavor, and a light tea like flavor.
Mouthfeel: Silky heavy body, but no chew with a dry, lip smacking finish.
Overall Impression: This is a personal favorite and I saved it to put a splash into my mug for my 250th karma point. This beer turned me on to Belgian styles, and made me a HUGE fan of Unibroue in general. The yeast ties it to its cousins Trois Pistoles and Don de Dieu, but La Fin is drier, and cleaner. This is a great “special occasion” beer. I’ve tried to turn a few people on to great beer with this one, but it’s a bit heavy and strong for most of the macro drinking crowd. Personally, this rocked my world at first taste. While this isn’t a “perfect 5” beer, it’s darn close. Drinkability in the short term is hampered by the heavy handed 9% abv. but I tend to buy this stuff by the case. I can’t recommend this strongly enough to my fellow BA’s that may not have tried this. It’s a MUST TASTE beer.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured a frothy, three-finger head atop a golden orange, slightly cloudy brew into a tulip. It looked so refreshing. The aroma was spicy, cidery and fruity... the immediate tangible smell was sour green apples. If I took a big enough inhale, I could feel the alcohol in my nose. Tastewise, it was tangy, sweet, and sour, once again with a focus on an apple-like flavor, with a nice warmth from the high ABV. It sometimes reminded me of reisling and/or champagne - maybe a white grape twang in there too. For all the apparent sweet tastes, each taste ended up surprisingly dry. Drinking it reminded me of Duvel sometimes and Orval other times... strange. The mouthfeel of this beer was wonderful - effervescent and smooth. Obvioulsy, like other beers with high ABVs, as it warmed and was consumed, the alcohol became more and more apparent.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

First sip tastes of ripe pears. There, I got that out of my system, I had to say that.

In the glass, it looks very similar to Hefeweizen, cloudy hazy yellow with a large whipped head.

Aroma is slight of ripe bananas with a slight spiciness.. but not alot there

Taste is complex. As I said earlier pears, but ripe pears mixed with alcohol. Very nice.

All in all, a very solid brew.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Pale, cloudy yellow with an enormous white head; good lacing

Smell: Bananas and a touch of clove; undertones of candi sugar and lemon

Taste: Starts with the banana and candi sugar flavors; by mid-palate, pears and other light fruits arrive along with a lemony bitterness; after the swallow, the pear and stone fruit flavors build into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with prickly carbonation

Drinkability: Very tasty, with a distinct yeasty character; well made - as good a tripel as you will find

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a caged and corked bomber sporting a "best by" date of 04-05-07 on the back side of the label. Glassware of choice for this brew was my Duvel tulip glass. Great hazy golden color topped by a monstrous white head that seemed eternal, thanks to the incredible amount of fine carbonation that was hauling ass to the surface. Lots of clumpy lace left behind also.
The nose carried the aromas of not-quite ripe bananas, doughy malt, clove, some coriander and a touch of white pepper. The clove aroma really took center stage here.
The taste was like a hybrid hefeweizen and tripel; nice banana and clove flavors up front (though not as omnipresent as in a good hefe) and a more spicy herbal hoppiness in the latter stages (reminiscent of a tripel). Always present was a solid bready malt platform from which the other tastes emerged. The finish had a pleasant peppery bite that was nicely bitter. The feel was medium in body, leaning toward full, and quite dry.
What a great beer! La Fin Du Monde is dangerously drinkable and must be accorded the respect a 9% ABV beer is due. It went great with my dinner and to relax with as I settled into the evening. Definitely worth picking up.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Slightly hazy straw yellow colour topped by a bright white, long-lasting head that formed some fine lace on the sides of the glass. Very nice. The aroma contained elements of ripe citrus/banana with a pleasant dose of spiciness (mostly clove-like). Some floral hoppiness is present, but is well balanced. Ripe fruit and sweetness are at the forefront of the flavour, with plenty of spiciness as well. Bitterness is present, but lies underneath the other flavours until it dries the palate at the finish, accompanied by a light pepperiness at the back of the tongue. Noticeable, but not overpowering, alcohol warmth in both the mouth and belly. Medium bodied, very smooth, with high carbonation. Effervescent right to the end.

750 mL brown bottle topped with cork, bottled on March 11, 2004 (code C114).

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Honey-lemon-sunshine with just a slight yeast cloudiness. Enormous white head that painted the inside of the glass with lacing. Extremely active carbonation.

Smell: Lots of phenolic yeast here, with banana and clove esters highly reminiscent of a hefe. Fusel alcohol is quite noticeable, and borders on distracting.

Taste: Honey-sweet at first, with alcohol rushing in and slightly numbing the tongue. Very warming, and quickly causes facial flush. Slightly cloying at times until the swallow, after which the taste is dry and very nearly wine-like. Phenolic is really the dominant taste here, with powdered sugar-like dextrins floating around as well.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased as a promotional wooden three bomber case also including Maudite and Trois Pistoles. Enjoyed while eating some fine cheeses. Drank during a Red Sox game the announcer called “the worst baseball game I’ve ever seen”. Glad I’ve got my End of the World with me!

Pours a hazy, glowing gold color. Moderate silky white head. Smells fruity and crisp. This beer is excellent! Heavy and hard hitting, this beer has a powerful spicy taste and a malty punch. Slight hops combine with the sharp, alcoholic aftertaste. Extremely smooth and drinkable. An outstanding brew, and a great conversion brew as well.

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation : Corked 750ml bottle poured into Duvel tulip glass. Excellent golden color, a tiny bit murky. A moderate head on the beer, but does not dissipate too fast.

Smell: Excellent, light aroma with definite nutty and fruity tones.

Taste: Superb. The best word I can use to describe this ale is: Champagne. Most wonderful, crisp, light, taste with just the right amount of hops and malt and a tiny bit of fruitiness. Wonderful. A top-of-the-line ale.

Mouthfeel: Excellent carbonation. Just the right amount to make it feel wonderful in the mouth.

Drinkability: A very light, not-too-filling ale. The only reason it got a 4.5 on drinkability in my book is that it is 9% ABV. Quite a kicker, but you'd never know by the taste. Only after you finish a 750ml bottle in the sun and then stand up do you realize that you are quite intoxicated.

An excellent ale. Do try this one.

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Head: Nice thick head (used the actual "La Fin Du Monde" glass from Unibroue) clings to glass as you drink, nice carbonation, and a lovely murky golden yellow color.

Smell: yeasty, with hints of fruit

Taste: Spicy and fruity at first. Then a little hint of hops in the middle, and a clean, bubbly, perky finish. as it warms more maltyness is detectible

Mouth feel: Bubbly, classic trappiste feel, medium thickness.

Drinkability: very very high.

Notes: one of the best beers ever. a must try for everyone.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

A pale yellow, cloudy ale with a HUGE head that stayed through much of the glass. Very nice.

The aroma was smoky, which I didn't expect, and nutty, which I did. A little bit of bread-like scent there, due to the yeast, but mostly masked.

The taste was much like it smelled, rich, smoky, nutty, somewhat yeasty, but with an odd taste that I can only describe as... bacon. It was still pretty good, but the oddness of that combination in a beer threw me a curve.

I will probably try this one again when I see it, to see if that bacon flavor was an anomaly... even if it wasn't. it was still worth havin again.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received this corked 750ml bottle as a gift. It had been sitting on top of a fridge for over a year. Exp. date put it good till 9/6/2005. I thought about keeping it awhile longer, but couldn't resist. Uncorked it, and carbonation slowly fizzed to the top. May have chilled it a bit too much. When it began to drip over, I poured. It had a nice frothy head that lasted throughtout the glass. Slightly toned down toward the end. Bubbles also lasted throughout, like a good champagne. The color was cloudy gold. Smells were very fruity, and maybe a touch floral. It tasted like apples, pears, and malt. Not bitter at all. As it warmed, it did take on an alcohol taste. Still nothing like I would have expected for 9% abv. Seemed almost rich in mouthfeel. Like a watered down milkshake consistency. As for drinkability, I found that it was gone too soon!!! Quick note on back of bottle, it was quite clear what type of glass it should be drank from. Showed correct picture, then a big X through incorrect one. I got a kick out of that.

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

Damn, I should have bought more than one bottle of this during my trip to Chicago. (I need to see if it can be "imported" into Oklahoma)

It pours to a generous white foam and cloudy gold color. Smell is floral, candylike and unbeerlike but good...smells like it has some good vitamins in it--real nutritious! Flavor is sweet and tangy and fruity with a weird after taste for which you have to acquire an appreciation. It's not awful, just different. Finishes fruity. Hops are detectable. This beer is exceptionally easy to drink so watch out for the buzz. It's like a "hefe" on steroids. A unique and unforgettable taste sensation.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Incredibly good marketing folks at Unibroue. The packaging is very well done. I have purchased the foiled topped bottle. Serving suggestion and freshness dating on the back.

Smell: Fruity and sweet peach floral notes.

Taste: Oh yeah. Tingly carbonation. Very clean fruit flavors and a slight peppary flavor after the initial carbonation bite. Only a trace of hops on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Very clean smooth and creamy. Leaves me wanting more.

Drinkability: At first, I would be afraid of drinking several of something so high in alcohol. However, this is so nicely balanced, full-flavored, and tasty, I would definitely have a few. Amazing beer. I was always suspicious of Canadian beers, after being underwhelmed by Molson, but I will need to try Unibroue's other offerings now.

I just put a few imperial stouts in the basement for my first try at cellaring. I'll be adding one of these babies in the mix to see just how complex it can get. With the carbonation and alcohol, I'm hoping it will be even more tasty next year.

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

Presentation: 12 oz. foil-capped bottle poured slowly into a Scaldis tulip glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, pale yellowish-orange. This beer requires a slow pour as the head produced from pouring is quite active and intense. The head retention is beautiful, leaving my glass with a pretty lacing.

Smell: Fruity, with some peach notes. The beer is rather phenolic with a faint clove-like aroma from the yeast.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth a creamy mouthfeel and a decent amount of carbonation to boot. The beer is rather sweet and fruity upfront with some spice. The finish is pretty dry where some hop character is noticable.

Overall: I consider this beer to be the greatest beer made on the continent of North America, and the best beer by the Quebec based Unibroue. This is a phenomenal Belgian-style ale, but also very artisinal and unique for its style. There are simply no other beers in the world like this one. This is a must-try brew!

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a thick yellow amber color with a beautiful white head. Smells very yeasty and hoppy. I love the carbonation with the yeast floating in it. Very good looking beer. Tastes nice. A wonderful balance of hops and flavor. I expected this to be another "in your face" Belgian and that is not the case. This is very easy drinking. A lovely pale ale to be savored. Very flavorful without being overpowering. Besides being cost prohibitive, I would drink this more often.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue