La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros

smithj2154, Jun 08, 2013

Ant4711, Jun 06, 2013

2beerdogs, Jun 06, 2013

elink00, Jun 06, 2013
4.26/5  rDev -1.4%

I picked up a bottle of Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde a few days ago for $7 at Trader Joe's. I have had this beer before, but I thought it's due time to review it and I'm in the mood for a Tripel tonight, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on May 23rd 2012, so it's a little over a year old. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a clean and classy look to it, I like the name of the beer also, according to my brother who speaks a little bit of french, it means The End of the World, I like it. It poured a very hazy golden yellow color that took on a slight orange hue when held to the light with three fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice lacing behind. This a very good looking Tripel, one of the best looking ones I have seen.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium of sweetness that had a slight candied sugar like aroma to it and was followed by a good amount of Belgian yeast that imparts a spicy aroma with cloves seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some nice fruity aromas with some apple, pears, and banana like aromas coming through. Towards the end I get a light bubblegum aroma followed by a slight earthy aroma. The aroma was pretty good and very true to style, I liked it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a slight candied sugar like flavor to it and was followed by some Belgian yeast and a medium amount of spices with cloves sticking out the most. Up next comes some nice fruit flavors, I get some crisp apple and pears with some banana flavors coming through that are a little different then most tripel's and it tastes a little more like a real banana. The alcohol was hidden nicely. On the finish there's a pretty low amount of bitterness with a fruity and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting Tripel, it had some nice balance and it was very true to style, I enjoyed it..

M- Pretty smooth, very crisp, pretty dry, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation that was pretty fizzy. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and good example of the style, it had pretty much all the flavors and aromas that I look for in the style and it was pretty dry, might be the driest Tripel I have had and I thought it worked well with this beer. This beer had great drinkability, it was pretty smooth, the alcohol was hidden well, it was pretty crisp and refreshing, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, this may be the most drinkable Tripel I have had so far, I would have no problem drinking a whole bottle and I don't think I would rule out having a couple glasses of this on a warm summer day. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style and balanced it was, it's just what I want in a Tripel. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I didn't like or would change about this beer, it's good just the way it is. I would buy this beer again, and I would for sure like to try a fresher bottle, it's priced pretty fairly for what you get and I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style and I think it would be a nice beer to introduce someone to Belgian beers. All in all I enjoyed this beer, I think it's one of the best Tripel's that isn't made in Belgium, it's very hard to compete with the Belgians when it comes to this style, but this beer can hold it's own. Good job guys, I really need to get around to trying more Unibroue beers, I haven't had a bad one yet. So far this my favorite beer from them and Unibroue is my favorite Canadian brewing company.

StoutHunter, Jun 06, 2013