La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,478
3.75/5  rDev -13%

Poured a very hazy light golden color. Dense white head that settled to about a 1/4" for the rest of the glass.

Aroma is spicy, with hints of citrus.

Flavor is good, some more spice and a bit of lemon on the finish. However, there is a slight metallic flavor that detracts a bit.

Mouthfeel is full with a prickly carbonation.

Overall, its a good beer, I'll have to come back to this one again.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

La Fin Du Monde translates as “The End of the World” and if you ad “till” on the front, that is exactly how long I would drink this beer if I could.

I’ve come to expect… No… demand high quality (and high alcohol) beers from Unibroue, but somehow I am still surprised by the amount my mouth waters when I simply think about this beer. Did I mention I like it a lot? Good.

The beer sings of its thickness on the way out of the bottle, pouring out almost like coffee creamer. The shade is quite an attractive antique gold, and the beer quickly develops a very generous frothy head. The head reduces almost as quickly as it formed, but a small amount is maintained due to the rapidly rising bubbles. The smell is staggering – an estery banana / vanilla nose that sends my tastebuds to watering. A fruity-hoppiness is also present as well as some lemony citrus. The smell of alcohol is also heavy, no doubt due to the hefty ABV.

The beer’s taste is somehow even better than its nose. A lemon tang brings up the front, smoothly blending into a sweet vanilla, banana and clove middle with a touch of nutmeg. The beer finishes up with a lingering hop taste, balancing the sweet start nicely. The mouthfeel is absolutely superb. Bright and effervescent and surprisingly creamy it slides down the throat like a velvet glove. You’ll have to excuse me for waxing poetic, but I feel that cheesiness can give way to accurate description in this case.

I cannot say enough good things about this beer. If not for the high ABV, I could drink this all night.

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. Really nice golden/amber color that's slightly cloudy. Good 1 in white head with good retention.

Smell is a little sweet, floral, a bit fruity, a lot of badass, with some spice, overall very complex

Taste is near perfect, a combination of sweetness, some floral flavours, some spice, and a bit of a yeast flavor that all blend extremely well together. Mouthfeel is really nice, very smooth despite the 9abv which is detectable if you look for it.

Drinkability? Please this stuff is so awesome i want to take it to class with me. Give me a case of it and it'll be gone in 2 days.

This is one of the best tripels out there, I'll dropkick anyone who disagrees with me.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

750 ml bottle from the LCBO for $5.75

pours hazy golden with a pure everlasting white head.

aromas of ripe citrus fruit, hops, and unibroue yeast.

the flavour progress in the following nature: light pale malts progress into a fruity body before the hops and yeast come in to totally complicate things to the point of stupidly good complex belgian inspired quebec made greatness.

in a word stunning.

i buy this ruglarily and have tried it both fresh and aged, bottled and on tap and you simply cant go wrong.

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

We shared a 750ml bottle into a maredsous chalice and a large wine goblet. Pours a delightful golden color with a quite vigorous amount of foam - very nice. The aroma, even upon warming up, was not particularly strong - some coriander and citrus but not a lot past that. The taste was also a bit of a letdown - it was very smooth but we were hoping for more belgian ester and yeast flavors.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: poured a hazy golden yellow, with a think white head atop of the beer, needless to say the lacing for the beer was quite prominent

Smell: like a bunch of oranges, honey, and flowers had a child and that child was a drinkable beer

Taste: a bit bitter, amazing overall, I'm normally a stout guy and even I thought this was a great beer.

Mouthfeel: lightly carbonated, very crisp! I was drinking it with pizza, and I have to say that really it was a great companion

Drinkability: A bit pricey for beer overall, but kind of cheap compared to most tripels, I would recommend for light food (pizza, salads, chicken dishes)

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

It felt like I had to wait until "la fin du monde" (end of the world) for the head to subside. Poured very cloudy for a Belgian Ale, but I was quickly taken by the plethora of hops that were readily apparent. Unfortunately having a minor head cold did not help the cause. The triple fermentation seemed to reduce any hard after tastes that are usual for high ABV ales. Overall; quite impressed. Unibroue has done "la Belle Province" proud.

3.66/5  rDev -15.1%

Cloudy, golden orange color with a small, fluffy white head, which quickly dissapated. Noticeable sediment, as noted on label.

Very faint aroma. A bit of fruitiness with hint of alcohol. Slightly sour smell.

Sweet, malty flavor masks the alcohol. Hint of fruit.

It feels a bit overly carbonated, so much so that it takes away from the flavor.

I would have rated the drinkability higher on this one if it weren't for the carbonation. The flavor is excellent once the bubbles die down a bit.

3.67/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle:

A- Dark golden-amber hue with a little head

S- Some aromas of sweet apricots and some spices behind that (maybe clove)

T- Malty up front, finishing with some of the spice notes and a slight alcohol burn.

M- Medium bodied and effervescent.

D- Great drinkability and very refreshing for warmer weather. Still had enough body to take it seriously though.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%

750 ml bottle into a tulip.

A- Big frothy bubbles. Golden color, very rich. 3 inches of head at least.

S- spicy malty sweetness. Smells simple and delicious.

T- spicy. Awesome. Belgiany.

M- lively. Not too heavy or light. Just shy of perfect.

D- amazingly drinkable for the abv. But still not the kind of thing you just pour down your throat.

Thanks pamola.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

decanted off of sediment into a chalice.
a- brilliantly clear pale gold. no lacing, little retention
s- smells fruity and slightly if alcohol
t- sweet banana and other fruity esters. sweetness balanced perfectly by a tinge of bitterness.
m- smooth and sweet mouthfeel. finishes slightly dry
d- extremely drinkable. not a single un-enjoyable note

3.34/5  rDev -22.5%

750mL bottled poured (a few times) into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Hazy gold. Lots of white fizzy head that hangs around for the entire experience.

Smell: Right up front and in your face is yeast. Upon closer inspection citrus and honey come through giving way to spice, malts, floral hops, apple cider and pear.

Taste: Yeasty citrus, honey and sour grapes (which I did not detect in the aromas). This beer actually reminds me of a dry white wine.

Mouthfeel: I bit over carbonated and a bit too yeasty. The complexity of the aroma surpasses the simplicity of the taste. Medium bodied and quite tart. The after taste becomes a bit nasty after a minute or two (which I suspect is due largely to the yeast). This nasty after taste made me want to take another drink which must be the reason I finished off the 750mL bottle in about 20 minutes.

Drinkability: I tend to think of this as something that should be drank in the summer. It’s crisp and refreshing, but the yeast is at the forefront of this brew and in the end is just a bit too much. As mentioned, I’m reminded of a dry white wine which for me feels like over-fermentation which has lead to a boozy feeling. After 750mL of La Fin Du Monde I think I might have to drink some Monistat.

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

It is a very cloudy golden mixture with a great head which doesn't seem to dissipate.

The smell is a over powering sugary fruit with hints of clove and a touch of alcohol. It is like music for the nostrils, if such a thing existed.

The powerful taste of cloves and alcohol hit you right off the bat. After taste brings on a mango, almost as if you just ate one.

A very smooth beer with a a good amoumt of carbonation helps keep its creamy texture.

A definite favorite of mine. Although I consume liquids like a fish, this brew demands respect. Drink slowly to get its full package.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Golden, fairly clear with tight lacing and good two finger head that has good retention.

S: Pale malt and faint fruitiness. There isn't too much going on there but it does have a good aroma.

T: Much more complex than the nose. Bright fruits: banana, pear, slight pale malt flavor. Absolutely no hint of the 9% abv.

M: Medium bodied with a mild amount of carbonation.

O: A fantastic Triple to be sure. This beer has great characteristics and may be the best non-Belgian Triple there is.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing what I remember from last night

Appearance: Hazy golden pale yellow with a nice offwhite head that doesnt quit. Lacings pretty darn nice. Head doesnt quit.

Smell: Pepper spice, cloves and some fruityness to go along

Taste: Right off the bad incredible. Very sweet upfront with a lot of malts that translates into a spicey clove taste. Slight hoppiness to finish

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth. Alcohol is masked pretty darn well until you finish and realize it.

Overall delicious beer. Definitely coming back for more and more of this. Highly recommended

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured into matching Tulip glass from 12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy yellow with a 1 finger lively head that sticks around but doesn't have much lacing. Lots of tiny bubbles.

S- Grapes, apricot, alcohol, bread all at the same time.

T- Very smooth malt backbone, with lots of spices from the Belgian yeast. Then get a sweetness that goes with the lighter fruit presence. Finishes with a nice alcohol tinge, not to strong though

M- Carbonated and wonderful. Goes down so smooth. No alcohol bite.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers, in my favorite style. They do a great job with this one getting all sorts of flavors but leaving out the alcohol bite that are in some tripels.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a 12oz. into a tulip.

Pours a hazy yellow with a bleach white head, some light orange hues are noticable the longer I look. Oh how I love the smell of a Tripel! Apple, pear, clove, black pepper, yeast, and booze. Getting some earthy tones off the first sip, that black pepper is back also. This beer definitely doesn't hide the fact that it's 9%. This beer is smooth at first, but i'm not digging the carbonation on the way down. Overall a very very solid Tripel, but I've had better.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: honey colored with a thick foam that dissipates into a thin ring

S: citrus, apricot, malty, biscuit

T: Complex, each sip is slightly different. citrus, banana, cloves. very complex yet still light

M: medium bodied with just the right level of carbonation. slightly chalky finish.

O: fantastic! complex, elegant, and a quite enjoyable beverage.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

It's been many a fortnight since I've enjoyed this brew last; plucked it from the wine shop shelves as the first drink of 2014. Here's to a year of gaining weight, drinking more and being less productive. La Fin Du Monde pours a dull, effervescent copper orange with fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Opaque body, not a whole lot of lace. Sweet and spicy on the nose, with notes of coriander, oranges, bready yeast and assorted citrus. One previous reviewer likened the scent to "salt sea air and steel." Sure, why not? Spices and citrus carry through to the palate in a big way. It's a complex profile that's hard to tease apart, with sweetness and spice and everything malty. Something about the moutfeel has always felt a bit off to me. Heresy, I know. My expectations for the style don't mesh well with the heaviness and aggressively carbonation. It goes down tasty but I'd be lying if I said it goes down smooth.

3.1/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. One of the best parts of the beer for me.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Very, very sour.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too

Overall: I don't know if It was a bad bottle. By the other reviews I'm guessing that may be the case but I'll wait a WHILE before trying it again.

Serving type: bottle poured into a pint glass

Oh sweet mercy, this looks delicious. Perfect bright solid white head of tight foamy bubbles. Semi opaque yellow/orange body. Tiny carbonation bubbles vigarously racing to the top, with no signs of stopping.

Smells tart and estery like a Wit. Orange rind bouquet of citrus aromas.

This is wonderful - completely wraps my tongue around in a soft velvety balanket of hoppy goodness. Carbonation dances, alcohol heats things up, solid malt profile gives just the right amount of body, but it's the hops that take this baby over the edge with perfect bitterness.

I forgot to mention the yeast. It adds so much to the flavor and smell. Estery, spicy, sweet and bitter. There is just so much going on it's hard to divide my attention to the complexity of this.

I generally have reservations about giving a beer all 5s - but not tonight. This is really that good. The second pour of the 750ml bottle is slightly warmer, allowing the flavor to expand and enunciate the delicate intricacies of its flavor.

If you read this and think that there is another Belgian Strong Pale Ale that is better, please beermail me.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a hazy orange yellow with a massive white head. The first smell is almost all yeast. After sitting of a while it starts to give off more fruit notes. I get some strawberry. I also smell what almost appears to be bubble gum like odors. These are not unpleasant and I believe they are typical of the yeast used in this beer. The beer in full and cream like as it hits the pallet. It has a lot of the yeast and fruit flavors that were touched on earlier. It also has a good amount of sweetness which as the beer warms can become a little overwhelming. As the beer warm the alcohol also becomes much more apparent.
Overall a fantastic brew and a great value.

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%

750ml bottle poured into snifter (and partially shared with my g/f)

A: This beer is a slightly hazy golden yellow color. I got a solid finger of off white head that was somewhat creamy but also a bit fizzy ( a good amount of larger bubbles in there). The head lasted several minutes and left a bit of lacing on the glass. Lots of little carbonation bubbles.

S: The first smell is as impressive as it is complex. I get fruit and citrus smells: it reminds me of grapefruit, lychee and rambutan (SE Asian fruits). There is a yeast scent as well. And a bit of sugariness.

T: This beer has an almost fizzy yet complex taste going on. There are the citrus/fruit flavors and some other flavors that I think are from the yeast. The alcohol is also present on the aftertaste. The malt is there in a sweet way. It finishes dry with an aftertaste of yeast on the roof of my mouth.

M: I find this beer to have a slightly fizzy mouthfeel but a complex taste. I suppose it’s light to medium. I actually really like the bit of fizziness. It suits the complexity well.

O: An awesome beer. I like the complexity of the flavors and the awesome nose. It is a sipper, but it remains drinkable and doesn’t exhaust my palate. A beer like this cannot be easy to make, but I'm glad someone has figured it out!

3.94/5  rDev -8.6%

Tried this one at an informal tasting my friends and I threw ourselves. This was one of the highlights for most of those attending. Pours a nice deep honey colour, a little cloudy, with moderate head and lacing. The smell was warm and fruity with some strong spicy notes (even though it's not a heavy, wintry beer, the smell reminds me of X-mas timea bit). Mouthfeel was appropriately fizzy for a fruit flavoured drink, IMO. The taste borders on being sweet, but the spices stop it before it becomes too much. To me, to be perfectly honest, it doesn't really taste like my conception of what a beer should be; I'm not sure why exactly. Some of the people I was with declared it their favourite of the evening; I don't agree with this, but it was a fine beverage nonetheless.

La Fin Du Monde pours a golden blonde color with rapidly aspirating bubbles fleeing toward the frothy head. There is lots of action and eye appeal. The aroma is strongly suggestive of fruit - apples and grapes. The taste is of apples, with warming alcohol and yeast coming through. Carbonation s prevalent. While entirely pleasant, something is missing in intensity to make this an exceptional Belgian-style trippel.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue