Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Quebec, Canada | website

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,912 | Ratings: 9,763

a - pours a murky golden-amber; head is three fingers of luscious white foam with streaky lacing

s - intense aroma of apples, citrus and coriander

t - a complex hoppy and malty delight

m - wonderfully smooth, with a champaign-like effervescence

d - an absolutely unmatched Tripel,this is truly "the end of the earth"

Serving type: bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip glass

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured into an Allagash tulip from a 750ml caged and corked bottle.

Pour: Very clear straw coloring with foamy head that quickly disappears.

Aroma: Apple, alcohol, peppercorn, clove, Belgian yeast funk, and twizzler. The aroma also has a strong alcohol hint, and is a bit medicinal.

Taste: Sweet fruit flavors up front, some pear or nectarine with apples and honey. Very estery. If you really search for it, there is a bit of hop bitterness that rounds out the flavor, and probably helps with the dry finish. Pepper, cloves, funk, and a bit of banana help to round out the palate. very complex, a delicious beer.

Overall: This really is a perfect beer. Endless complexity, very delicious. I could keep drinking bottles of this, and continually find new flavors without growing tired of it.

3.88/5  rDev -10%

Friends have been talking about this beer for a while, thus I was excited to try it.

A- Golden yellow, with a beautiful white head that lingered fourfinger for a while.

S- Yeast, pepper, and maybe clove. Others like this smell. Me not really.

T-Fruit and spices. Can taste the alchohol.

M- High Carbonation and thin to medium taste.

D- Would I drink it again? Yeah. But not any time soon. I could see how lovers of this style would go crazy for this well made beer.

3.7/5  rDev -14.2%

12oz. bottle dated October 2004. La Fin Du Monde poured a yellow/gold color with a large 3 finger head. It smells bread like, citrusy and of nuts. Not a bad smell at all. However, the taste i where the beer went down hill. It tasted very much like Duvel, but a cheap, less appealing Duvel. It tasted like nuts, and I kept getting the taste of a cork.. strange. It's kind of bitter, but not too bad. You can definitely taste the citrus as well, but I can't get the cork out of my mind. Not very pleasing, not bad, but not good. Mouthfeel is fine and smooth. Drinkable? Eh yeah, for a while. It took me a while to finish the whole glass, but it went down. My bottle was obviously pretty old, so I'd like to try a fresh one and see how my opinion differs.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

A- Poured golden yellow in colour, quite opaque. Nice thick creamy head that dissipated fairly quickly to a small patch in the middle of the glass with little lacing around.

S- Very light and fruity in smell. Quite yeasty in smell with a nice bit of malts as well. The smell also has the distinct bottle fermentation smell; which in this case smells a bit sour.

T- Amazingly light and fruity in taste, like guava and pineapple. The yeasty flavours also come out quite strong, combined with the malts quite nicely. The aftertaste is quite a bit bitter, with a small hint of sourness.

D- A Very nice beer to drink, I'll have to make sure I keep a few in me "cellar" for when I want one, the go out at the lcbo here quite often and now I can see why

a. hazy golden. head laces and drops fairly quickly for me.

s. enjoying the aroma of light fruits and earthy spices.

t. bright, peppery with fruity sweet background. hops fill in the flavor spaces well, tie things together for me.

m. silky, dry finish, carbonation and the alcohol is refreshing, but not incredibly appealing.

d. i like the complexity and diversity of flavors, but the focuses themselves are a bit too sharp for me. hard to put my finger on, but its enjoyable... all in all a fine experience.

3.49/5  rDev -19%

12.oz bottle from a 4 bottle "taster pack" poured into a 16oz. glass.

A- Pours a nice cloudy gold with a fluffy 2 finger head that sticks around. Appearance is typical for the style.

S- The smell is faint and hard to pick up on. Might have served this one too cold. From what I can get, it's bananas, cloves, and grassy hay.

T- The taste is very good actually. Complex and just the right amount of fruit and spice. Bananas and black pepper, with some cloviness and hints of muscat grapes. Fairly complex.

M- Good carbonation and medium body. Matches the style and the abv and makes this easy to sip.

O- This is my first Unibroue beer and one of the better tripels I have gotten to try. They aren't really my style and I like this anyway. I'm definitely looking forward to trying the others from the taster pack.

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Ready-Set-Enjoy a super fun drinking beer! The pour is sophisticated and just the correct beautiful foam lingering head. The spices are correctly proportioned, somebody said grapefruit, maybe, but absolutely a nice citrus, then comes banana and a hint of coriander. Nothing overdone, well balanced, smell so intriguing, almost a sexy come on. Unibroue always seems to hit it out and this tripel certainly maintains their tradition of excellence. As with all high ABVs, think about it before driving after a couple of these, but that said, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Picked up for about $5 at a New brunswick liquor store. Becoming a big fan of the Unibroue collection. Day before Super Bowl Sunday as everyone else went for the cheap light beers, I couldn't resist the Belgian allure. Brought this bottle home and introduced it to a tulip glass and got down to business.

A- Golden cloud with moderate bubble. foamy hat of about 1 finger or 2 lingers for less than a minute. so darkly blonde that nearly no light penetrates the glass. reminds me of Maudite of the same brewery, although not as red.

S- a very fruity nose, grapes, belgian yeast, spices, citrus and pear. again similar to Maudite but not as tart as it breaches the nostrils.

T- Fulfills the fruits captured by the nose. full bread with white grapes and citrus, maybe some apple, absolutely no bite of alcohol true a fantastic job masking the 9%. I really like how the fruit is very upfront however not overpowering or too sweet. This really makes a pint and a half easy to drink all the way to the end.

MF- Honestly could have had a tad more carbonation, just a tad though. However very crisp and complex. Tickles the tongue as the taste buds scurry to savour, detect, and breakdown the cascade of intriguing elements.

Overall- AWESOME! no need to say anymore except I cant wait to try more from Unibroue.

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Fantastic Belgian style beer that really tastes like the classic Belgians. Reminded me of a smoother version of Gulden Draak. Some fruit flavors. Bold with some interesting spicing but very drinkable almost TOO drinkable, this stuff would be dangerous on tap. Love love loved it.

3.72/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of Belgians, and this one particularly didn't sit well. Clear, overcarbonated, yeasty, and watery, Not worth the high price unless you really love Belgians.

4.62/5  rDev +7.2%

This has become my new stock, "go to" beer - the beer I always make sure I have in the fridge. Very foamy cream/white head that (eventually) becomes beautiful lace. The beer is a soft (slightly cloudy) gold in colour. First taste is crisp, high carbonation with balanced light fruit flavours and a hint of crisp pepper and citrus. This fades smoothly into a soft maltiness with excellent spice. The (high) alchohol is perfectly integrated into the flavour, leaving no harsh or unexpected notes in the taste.

A perfect introduction to the world of Belgian-style strong pale ales, La Fin Du Monde has all the character of a great Belgian but can be consumed on a daily basis (and even a session basis) unlike many great Belgians.

Excellent. Highly recommended. Mmmm....

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was talking to the guy at my local beer store and he asked if there was anything that I liked and he didn't have. I mentioned Unibroue, la fin du monde in particular, and lo and behold a couple weeks later there it was along with maudite, chambley noir, and don de dieu. So thanks a lot Josh, on to the review.

I love this beer, even the packaging is beautiful. But when it hits the glass it looks like liquid gold. Slightly hazy with a pillowy white top that slowly drops down leaving sticky patches all over the glass, it begs to be enjoyed. The smell is fruity, like overripe peaches, and just a little boozy. The taste is sweet nectar. Light and fruity to open, given way to a slight yeasty flavor, while the great carbonation keeps it crisp. The alcohol is very well hidden, just an afterthought of the sip. One of my top beers.

3.67/5  rDev -14.8%

WOW! ALCOHOL!

Being a tried-and-true liberal Canada lover, I was attracted to Unibrue off the bat. I think Blanch de Chambly is incredible and their brew Maudite is one of the best I have ever tried. Maudite is also probably my favorite beer.

Opening it up, the smell is pretty "beer-like" (terrible phrasing, no?) with a little alcohol smell with yeast and some fruit notes that I couldn't figure out. Decent hop notes on the nose. I liked smelling it, it made me feel I had something special comming up.

Similar to other bottle-conditioned brews it has unflappable head retention and bubbles that don't stop.

Taste is overwhelmed by the alcohol. I did notice a nice, dry malt with modest bittering. Again, more fruit that I couldn't figure out. The flavor was quite nice... but that alcohol! It took over the flavor! If it was 7% or so it would be perfect. It also had me wishing it was a bit more bitter. Just a tiny, tiny bit more hops.

It took me a while to finish it, many swallows were forced. I liked the flavor but the alcohol just made it harder to swallow than most brews.

Maybe I need to try it more often. Maybe I had a bad bottle. I usually agree with The Brothers but this time I just didn't think of it as world-class as they do.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Unibroue La Fin Du Monde
12 oz bottle with a silver foiled top.

Poured into a snifter glass. Nice off-white creamy head about 1 and half inches when poured. Rings envelope the glass. Body is orange in color and a slight visibility. Aroma has note of citrus and yeast. Taste is smooth yet spicy, citrus and tons of floral characters. Mouthfeel is warm and welcoming. Drinkability is good. This is a slow sipper for me.

Overall, this is one of my favorite belgian style tripels, and I'm very glad I picked up a 4-pack instead of a single.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet. Freshness date on bottle is December 15, 2011. This beer pours an orangey-gold color that becomes quite murky once the yeast sediment is added to the glass. The high amount of carbonation in the bottle rapidly forms a large, pale white head that is supplemented by small, yet constant carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The head dissipates very rapidly, and doesn't really leave any lace on my glass, probably due to the high ABV (9%).

Smell: The nose of this beer definitely screams out "Belgian", and the clove-like yeast aroma makes its presence known. There is also a generous portion of fruity esters in the nose of this beer, and there are notes of bananas, orange peel, and pears.

Taste: La Fin Du Monde quickly announces itself as a crisp, refreshing beer, and it begins with a hearty amount of soft, yet crisp carbonation that helps showcase the sweet, malt backbone of this beer. This moves to a very spicy, clove taste that is well balanced with the banana flavored esters. The beer finishes with just a touch of hop bitterness along with hints of black pepper and alcohol, and these add the characteristic Belgian spiciness to the characteristic Belgian dry finish. For a Canadian company Unibroue has done a really good job of making La Fin Du Monde taste like it's from Belgium.

Mouthfeel: As is the trademark for the style, this beer is highly carbonated, but beneath that carbonation is a heavenly smooth, medium bodied Tripel. Once the yeast is added the body is a bit fuller than without, so definitely swirl the last few drops around in the bottle and add the yeast.

Drinkability: Even though the box says "drink less, drink better" I could definitely put back a couple pints of this brew. Incredibly crisp, smooth, and refreshing, this is one exceptionally drinkable beer.

Notes: I've heard this beer called the "Canadian stand-in for Duvel", and after just drinking Duvel a few nights ago I have to agree. While Duvel is a better beer across the board, this is still one very good beer. It isn't anything that will knock your socks off, but it's still a solid offering from Unibroue. Definitely something I'll buy again.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass

Best before date printed on the back label

19 IBU's

Appearance: Hazy golden honey color. Pours with a nice white head. Very nice sticky and patchy lacing. Solid carbonation is present as well.

Smell: Yeasty and phenolic on the nose. Strong clove influence is present. Slight citrus notes. Mild banana. Very complex. Slightly herbal presence as well.

Taste: Excellent malty sweetness upon the arrival. Sweet clove taste with a lingering herbal finish. There is a warming affect of the high ABV, however the alcohol is masked very well. Intriguing. Beautiful balance between all of the tasting notes.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, good carbonation on the tongue. Creamy and smooth.

Drinkability: This beer is quite refreshing. Very easy to drink despite the high alcohol content.

Ending notes: This is a very complex, but enjoyable brew. A perfect archetype of the style. I would highly recommend this to any beer enthusiast. Once you have a sip, you want to go back for more. Phenomenal. Best tripel I have had thus far.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Pours into a 16oz tulip with a brilliant golden haziness. Good two finger head rests on top.

S - Sugars and fruits. Slight alcohol.

T - Citrus with a bit of malt mixed in. Hints of bitterness and alcohol on the back end.

M - Great feel. Light to medium in body with a pleasant creaminess.

D - This one is somewhat heavy for such a light beer. ABV keeps a night full of these out of reach for me.

Fantastic!

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

My first review!
What amazes me most about this beer is that it is made in large quantities by a brewery owned by Sleemans, yet it is every bit a beautiful craft beer. And it can be bought at the Beer Store in a case of 24 for $46.95 making this just under 2 bucks a beer. It's not often you can enjoy a beer this good for that little.

Pours beatifully into a snifter leaving tiny lacey bubbles after the fine white head dies down. Thick slow legs. Swirling it around a bit excites the bubbles again and opens up the banana champagne aroma.

Tingles at the front of the tongue, opens up spicey and sweet then recedes at the back of the mouth into hints of banana and a kiss of alchohol that is very subtle at 9% ABV. I get a citrusy cream soda taste throughout that is just delicious. I'm very glad it is so easy to get a hold of these beers and I'm introducing all of my friends to it.

Merry Christmas all!

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

What can one say that has not already been said? One word, bien! But, if I must expound then I shall.

This offering is sent directly to us from the great country of Quebec. One has to wonder, “will it’s pale orange appearance and citrusy aroma leave me disappointed or will it deliver on all that has been promised?” Oh oui! Kudos on a beer well built. I do enjoy Maudite more but who’s to complain?

4.07/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured with a big head and great lacing.

Smell was fruity with a hint of alcohol. Taste was fresh and clear with alcohol finish. A great example of the Belgian style. The alcohol keeps it from being a real session beer for me, but for a great taste it is a good one.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Nice golden color, slightly hazy. Very little lacing with very thin head.

S: Wheat, a hint of citrus, slight scent of hops and sweetness.

T: Hint of corriander, slightly sweet malt flavor, some citrus, some hops, hint of bitterness and alcohol at the back of the tongue.

M: Light to medium body, bubbly over the tongue, smooth.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Been saving this one for a few weeks for the right occasion. A perfect post-election beer.

Appearance: Out comes a cloudy straw colored liquid with a large fizzy white head that recedes quickly. A look that beckons to be sipped.

Smell: I could smell it as soon as I opened the bottle. Very sweet fruity esters. Orange peel and other mulling spices really hit a home run. Its like drinking apple cider only better.

Taste: The spices really shine along with the citrus. Very complex flavor. A slight hint of bitterness from the hops is quickly balanced by the malts. Also, where is the alcohol? Excellent job masking the alcohol taste. Oh man, I can already tell I'm going to be on the floor after this one.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is just right. Nice and dry finish. Perfect for sipping.

Drinkability: Normally I would give a lower rating here because of the high alcohol content. However, you don't need to drink very many of these to get the full La Fin Du Monde experience. I could easily see myself drinking one 750ml bottle for the whole night. Just sipping it slowly is enough to make you feel excellent.

Here's to hoping that the next 4 years are as awesome as this beer!

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a very delicious golden straw color with a really good amount of head that leaves pretty quickly. I didn't notice any lacing at all. If you look closely, you can see a plethora of carbonation bubbles racing to the top.

The smell is very sweet and I notice some hops and malt already. I definitely noticed the pear like previous people have pointed out. I can't wait to drink this beer!

The taste was excellent. It was sweet but they also did a good job of mixing all different spices to give it a unique taste. They also do a very good job of hiding the alcohol. This can be a dangerous beer! The aftertaste was of hops, yeast and I could swear I noticed a doughy taste in there as well.

The carbonation in the drink is delightful and the first thing you notice. After that it's all about the smooth and creamy feeling. The beer almost has a dry numbing effect on the sides of my tongue. I kept wanting to sip one right after the other.

I've had this beer before but this was the first time I actually took the time to review and notice all its subtle properties. I could definitely see myself drinking this all day long, but with the 9%...I'll need to take my time with it.

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Cloudy gold, not much head.

Smell - malt and spice

Taste - Fruity, especially banana. The spice and malt also come through. Great first impression and it stays great to the end.

Mouthful - Creamy and full.

Overall - I'll be drinking more of these.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue