Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,825 | Hads: 9,289
3.94/5  rDev -8.6%

Tried this one at an informal tasting my friends and I threw ourselves. This was one of the highlights for most of those attending. Pours a nice deep honey colour, a little cloudy, with moderate head and lacing. The smell was warm and fruity with some strong spicy notes (even though it's not a heavy, wintry beer, the smell reminds me of X-mas timea bit). Mouthfeel was appropriately fizzy for a fruit flavoured drink, IMO. The taste borders on being sweet, but the spices stop it before it becomes too much. To me, to be perfectly honest, it doesn't really taste like my conception of what a beer should be; I'm not sure why exactly. Some of the people I was with declared it their favourite of the evening; I don't agree with this, but it was a fine beverage nonetheless. (774 characters)

La Fin Du Monde pours a golden blonde color with rapidly aspirating bubbles fleeing toward the frothy head. There is lots of action and eye appeal. The aroma is strongly suggestive of fruit - apples and grapes. The taste is of apples, with warming alcohol and yeast coming through. Carbonation s prevalent. While entirely pleasant, something is missing in intensity to make this an exceptional Belgian-style trippel. (416 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into wine glass. It's a nice hazy solid gold color. Nice bit of carbonation on the pour and still plenty left on the drink.

Smells of sweet apples, very strong. Tastes of clove & very sweet...where's the alcohol? Not at all like a 9%-er. I didn't taste any apple. Aftertaste gets a bit of mild bitterness that lingers.

I like this tripel style and this beer makes me want to experiment more with other tripels. This beer is great and I'll give it more opportunities to grow on me. (489 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Visual Appeal: impressive cloudy gold or honey, thick white head is attractive but streaking not striking

Smell: could be stronger, slight citrus notes, yeasty

Flavour: orange, yeast, slight malt, coriander, herbal

Mouthfeel: pleasant carbonation, but not as pleasant as Duvel

Drinkability: stronger 9% ABV makes it a sipping beer, but alcohol not being as noticeable as I thought makes me tempted to try a few at a sitting

Poured into Victory Brewpub Golden Monkey tulip glass. Each made for the other. (508 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

12oz foil-top bottle poured into my Chimay chalice.

A- Cloudy, honey color with a nice fluffy head that sticks just a bit down the glass.

S- Citrus and floral aroma with a lot of spiced clove. Pear is sticking out as well.

T- Just how it smells; floral, citrus and spiced clove on the front, with a sort of bitter yeastiness on the back. A bit breadier than anticipated from the smell. 9% extremely well masked. Delicious!

M- Medium, slightly dry body. Bubbly at first but kind of disappeared by the time i got to this time in the review. I must add, a bit of alcohol warmth is coming through now and really bringing out some subtleties.

D- Much easier to drink than the 9% led me to anticipate. Very impressed and will buy again. (736 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

***NOTE: Make sure you open this beer up and let it get to the proper temprature. The flavors really come out***

A - Light yellow, unfiltered.

S - Smells of cloves and slighty of grapefruit. Good but not great. You can actually smell the alcohol.

T - Wow! Very, very complex. There was an tons of different tastes going on. Cloves/banana,fruit (apple), bitterness of hops, sweet malts, oranges. Very complex and exceptional. I could keep coming back to this. Plus the alcohol does hit you like a ton of bricks.

M - Mounthful was augmented by the great taste.

D - Nice.

Would I buy it again? Yes
Would I recommend it? Yes
Would I drink it at a party? Yes
Did my wife like it? "It might be the most interesting beer I've ever tasted. Reminds me of a good wine. I would drink that. Makes me want another one. It exploded in my mouth."

Overall: Was this one of the best beers on earth? For the sheer taste alone, it is. Everything else was good, but man, the complex taste of this tripel was out of this world (pun intended). (1,031 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle poured into 16 ounce mug. With a careful pour, got a big head that occupied the remaining 4 oz worth of volume.

Appearance - light amber color with a very white head.

Smell - skipping for now

Taste - outstanding. sweet taste. Not bitter. Just delicious. This is going to become one of my favorites. I don't taste any of the 9% ABV. (347 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

A - a yellow pale, golden, honey color. its not clear at all, is between clear and hazy. The head was a fizzy, dimiinishing in seconds.not lacing at all.

S - Sweet toast. caramel, perfumy, floral. Some oranges, coriander, spices going around that made this a fruity,floral smell. Nice- appeling.

T - A lot of fruits going around, lemon, orange, bananas! Spices, floral flavors. grainy, a kick of nuts! a high percentage of alcohol that is well-balanced. A very clean balanced flavors and ingredients.

M - Incredibly smooth. buttery. crispy but creamy. the carbonation is delicate. well balanced body. and the finish is between dry and wet.

O - Excellent beer. Well balanced crispy-creamy beer. High in alcohol that makes this beer even more interesting. Floral, spicy, fruity, but a kick of nuts! (800 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

This creamy opaque golden delight mounted a rich white two finger head that slipped down to a milky-like cover that made for a sticky lace. Throughout the length of the beverage there was a continuous feed of bubbles delivered in fizzures of fine streams reaching upward. Ripe apricot-peach, soft citrus, yeast, and a subtle clove and etoh made for a delightful nose. At times there was a lurking metal essence noted. A medium dimension filled the mouth with again, the fruit of the nose, a hay tang, with light floral and gentle spice. This stuff warms the belly. This La Fin Du Monde 12 oz. bottle was with much carbonation, for me it was too sparkling for balance. The finish was sweet with a dry, peppery, bubbly presence. Unfortunately a mucky aftertaste was left at the back of the mouth. I can appreciate the grand reviews this brew receives but for me, for this bottle, it was not there. (895 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz. bottle. Best before 6/12/06, enjoyed on 11/7/05. Pours a murky, pale yellow/orange with a medium sized, fizzy, white head. Mostly diminishing. Aroma is banana, orange, lemon and cloves. The flavor is very refreshing, oranges, apricots and bananas. The lively carbonation bites the tongue on the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden. This one was quite enjoyable. (368 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

There are not too many Canadian products that evoke a strong brand following here in America, but it's time we made Unibroue a household name. La Fin Du Monde is "the end of the world" in French but what it really means is that you should go to the end of the world, if necessary, to pick some of this up. Luckily for us, Unibroue is distributed widely in our market, and therefore available just around the corner.
This is one of the many beers I keep coming back to, time and time again. I miss it if it's been awhile, and feel like I need to welcome it back into my home.
La Fin Du Monde is in the Belgian strong-triple style and is liquid gold, literally. The beer pours a hazy beautiful golden, with a full billowy head of white foam.
What makes La Fin Du Monde exceptional amongst its North American counterparts is the full sweet-tart peppery smell, and monster yeasty, bready, and fruity flavor. Like many traditional Belgian-style breweries, Unibroue uses proprietary house yeast for its beers that add a unique character, and their yeast seems to leave this typically dry style on the sweet end of the spectrum with a massive pronounced complexity of flavors. This beer is bottle conditioned, meaning a small amount of yeast is left in the bottle to carbonate and mellow out the beer, enhancing the full flavors of the drink.
Drinking most of this French-Canadian breweries beer is an experience that I can't recommend enough, and La Fin Du Monde is a brilliant example of their craft and skill. If this is the end of the world, then I really do feel fine. (1,572 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -29.2%

Poured into a snifter. Kind of a cloudy yellowish orange color. Very fizzy looking. Minimal lacing.

Smell reminded me of some hefeweizens I have had. Some fruity banana smells.

Taste was fruity but also somewhat metallic. Alcohol is noticable. Ok, but not really my favorite. I have sampled several Belgian style beers and so far I have not been overly impressed. I just don't think it is my style.

Mouthfeel was ok. Seemed too fizzy and light.

Drinkability. Not really. Maybe if I liked this style more. Apparently a lot of people think this is wonderful, but it doesn't do much for me. (592 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

From the Trader Joe's 4-pack 355 mL into a Pinot glass.

A: Murky golden peach in color with a huge head that leads to fine lacing. Excellent color!

S: Loads of Belgian yeast and bread. That yeast gives it wonderful sour undertones once the ale has warmed up. Nice spice, coriander (?), typical Belgian spicy character. Honeysuckle comes through as the brew heats up. Slightly metallic.

T: That load of yeast shines bright on the palate. Lots of butter and honeysuckle. Awesome! No metal comes through, which I was sort of anticipating. A little sweet but very pleasant. Reminds me of a Sunday morning with waffles and butter and fresh strawberries.

M: Awesome! Huge! Great tactile sensation!

D: Once or twice a year is perfect for this one.

WIFE EVEN LIKES THIS IT! (771 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Great beer that is fairly hard to find, at least here in Kansas.

L - cloudy orange with a small white head

S - fruity, peach, and a hint of grape

T - Fruity, peach, grape, and with a pleasant carmel finish

M - Very carbonated. I found myself burping after every other drink.

D - This is a smooth beer considering the ABV. I would have given it a higher rate here, if it wasn't for the constant burping from the high carbonation. (433 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Heard many great things about this one, so I had to give it a try. First impression of this beer was the strong scent of coriander, which turned me off a bit since I am not much of a fan of coriander in beer. As I poured, an impressive three to four inch head of foam developed, the most I've seen from a beer. As I continued to drink, I realized more and more that there really wasn't any faults I could find to this beer. It was very enjoyable.

One of the first things that came to mind was how this beer would serve very well as a table beer, paired with seafood such as crab or scallops. I bet many non-beer drinkers could appreciate this one as well.

Would recommend if you've got the deep pockets for this one. (719 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +13%

In my review for Maudite, I mentioned that you can definitely notice the 8% abv, but I didn't notice the 9% abv in la Fin Du Monde at all. I'm not sure I'll ever drink a beer I like more than this in my entire life. Smells and tastes relatively sweet, and is a pretty cloudy golden color. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredible as the alcohol is hidden so well that I could drink this like, forever. Now that I've tried Unibroue I'm gonna save them for nice occasions since I can't live my life spending this much on beer... (527 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -8.1%

lemme just tell you that the name says it all. more than a couple of these, and it is la fin du monde (the end of the world for those who don't know). from the second i popped the cork i knew this beer was special...

appearance: poured surprisingly light, not much of a head. lacing was sparse but nice.

smell: typical fruity belgian traits. nothing mind blowing.

taste: now here's where this beer's personality really stands out for me. it's just right. nothing overpowering, especially not the alcohol. hints of fruit, possibly sugar cane?

mouthfeel: crisp and snappy.

drinkability: well i suppose i'm a lightweight. maybe if i had the 6 pack of 12 ouncers it woulda been no problem, but one big bottle of this and i'm down for the count. but as far as flavor, these could be drank all day.

i highly recommend this one. my favorite of all the unibroue's to date. (883 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured into a snifter style glass. Very cloudy, completely opaque and golden in color: there is indeed quite a bit of yeast in this brew. Initially the beer was chilled (don't know approx. temperature) and gradually warmed during the drinking session. It barely had a head (which soon disappeared...a bit unfortunate [though I quite enjoyed the opaque cloudiness!]), and it did have a quite pleasant smell. The taste was very well balanced between the hops and the malt, not too sweet and not too bitter. When it was chilled the flavor was more restrained yet reminiscent of apples. As it warmed up, it had more of a heavier banana flavor. Both the flavor and the feel of it (carbonation) immediately reminded me of champagne (though the comparison follows only to a point). This has definite cross-over appeal (considering the flavor, mouthfeel, as well as the presentation [both the caged and corked bottle as well as the appropriate glasswear]). Along with Stone's Double Bastard and Russian Imperial Stout, Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Nut Brown Ale and Orval's Trappist Ale, this is truly my favorite beer so far. (1,122 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Nice golden amber and a big, white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Coriander up front with banana and sweet, maybe fruity, smells.

T: Along with the aroma there's coriander and bananas but also very wheaty. Almost grassy.

M: Very smooth considering the 9% ABV. Its almost watery but the texture and carbonation support the heavy flavors and alcohol quite well.

O: This is one of my favorites. It is very flavorful and yet balanced. Exactly what I look for in a trippel. (521 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

After a long weekend of moving trucks and hauling boxes, some friends and I sat down at the Winking Lizard for beer and pizza.

A: La Fin Du Monde poured a yellow/orange with a perfect untampered cloudiness. The head was soft and billowy with noticeable packets of air, hinting at the sparkle to come.

S: Amazing in the nose! Apricot, nectarine and a beautiful balance between sweet and spicy. Correctly present. The aroma wasn't too faint nor too dominant. I thought of trails and evergreens.

T: Smack your momma good. The head tickled my upper lip and the spicy citrus washed over my tongue. Being such a well-balanced flavor profile, my entire tongue was engaged.

M: Sparkling and alive, but not heavy. Most beers I have tasted that were this alive in the mouth were heavy in it as well. This beer was pristine, almost delicate without losing any presence.

D: I was not overpowered by the ABV and the beer left enough room for a second. Would enjoy again, in a heartbeat! (981 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into my favorite 285mL weiss glass.

A: Wow, this beer looks fantastic. Even on a very tentative pour I got a few inches of thick, poofy foam that settled down to a good inch or so. The beer underneath is a cloudy deep yellow to shiny gold. Little bubbles continuously creep up from the bottom of the glass. By the bottom of the glass there's only a very thin head with moderate lacing to 2/3 of the way up the glass.

S: I'm not getting a lot of smell from this one. But what I get is distinct citrus and floral. There's a little bit of grain back there for balance. But as I said, the smell isn't particularly powerful. It's pleasant and soothing, as opposed to overpowering.

T: A hit of sweetness at first, but not sugary. More like biting into a lightly sweet fruit, maybe a not-quite-ripe orange. Lots of complexity. Grains -- wheat? Light spice. A neat bitterness toward the end and on the finish. Very clean, somewhat crisp. No booze in the taste. Fairly distinctive lingering orange zest flavor. This beer is fantastic. It's perfectly balanced, it's inviting, it's neither beery or boozey. I think just about anyone could drink this and enjoy it.

M: Medium -- there's a big boost from how foamy this beer is. The carbonation is nice and moves the flavors around well. Notably for this 9% beer there's pretty much no astringent alcohol. Great!

D: Dangerous. Crisp, highly drinkable. Cool on a hot day. I'm having to force myself to slow down, because I know otherwise this 9% is going to catch up and kick my butt! (1,531 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass

A: Golden, cloudy, orange looking, 3 finger thick head that stuck around. Reminded me of Blue Moon's appearance

S: Hops, Nuts (walnut/hazelnut), strong citrus smell, once again reminding me of Blue Moon.

T: Hops hit first, sweet & nutty warm aftertaste. Definitely apples in there after a few sips. A very wheaty beer by all meaning.

M: Strong bite, but sits on the palate very well and is very warm

D: No way I could drink more than 2... (483 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Fantastic Belgian style beer that really tastes like the classic Belgians. Reminded me of a smoother version of Gulden Draak. Some fruit flavors. Bold with some interesting spicing but very drinkable almost TOO drinkable, this stuff would be dangerous on tap. Love love loved it. (283 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +13.7%

This might be one of my all time favorite beers! Amazing! Fun! The cloudy, ancient looking color... wow! Yeasty, perfect carbonation, perfect mouthfeel... words only do this beer an injustice! (192 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

The color is a golden-honey with white spongy-looking head that bubbles. It smells yeasty with a hint of cloves. It tastes spicy and it has an orange peel flavor. There is more carbonation than your standard beer, but it is very light and easy to swallow for a highly carbonated beer. Aftertaste leaves an alcohol flavor in your mouth. This beer is very good in my book. It goes down easy. (389 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue