La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,170 | Reviews: 2,861
4.73/5  rDev +9.5%

It is a very cloudy golden mixture with a great head which doesn't seem to dissipate.

The smell is a over powering sugary fruit with hints of clove and a touch of alcohol. It is like music for the nostrils, if such a thing existed.

The powerful taste of cloves and alcohol hit you right off the bat. After taste brings on a mango, almost as if you just ate one.

A very smooth beer with a a good amoumt of carbonation helps keep its creamy texture.

A definite favorite of mine. Although I consume liquids like a fish, this brew demands respect. Drink slowly to get its full package.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Golden, fairly clear with tight lacing and good two finger head that has good retention.

S: Pale malt and faint fruitiness. There isn't too much going on there but it does have a good aroma.

T: Much more complex than the nose. Bright fruits: banana, pear, slight pale malt flavor. Absolutely no hint of the 9% abv.

M: Medium bodied with a mild amount of carbonation.

O: A fantastic Triple to be sure. This beer has great characteristics and may be the best non-Belgian Triple there is.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing what I remember from last night

Appearance: Hazy golden pale yellow with a nice offwhite head that doesnt quit. Lacings pretty darn nice. Head doesnt quit.

Smell: Pepper spice, cloves and some fruityness to go along

Taste: Right off the bad incredible. Very sweet upfront with a lot of malts that translates into a spicey clove taste. Slight hoppiness to finish

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth. Alcohol is masked pretty darn well until you finish and realize it.

Overall delicious beer. Definitely coming back for more and more of this. Highly recommended

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into matching Tulip glass from 12oz bottle

A- Pours a hazy yellow with a 1 finger lively head that sticks around but doesn't have much lacing. Lots of tiny bubbles.

S- Grapes, apricot, alcohol, bread all at the same time.

T- Very smooth malt backbone, with lots of spices from the Belgian yeast. Then get a sweetness that goes with the lighter fruit presence. Finishes with a nice alcohol tinge, not to strong though

M- Carbonated and wonderful. Goes down so smooth. No alcohol bite.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers, in my favorite style. They do a great job with this one getting all sorts of flavors but leaving out the alcohol bite that are in some tripels.

3.8/5  rDev -12%

Poured from a 12oz. into a tulip.

Pours a hazy yellow with a bleach white head, some light orange hues are noticable the longer I look. Oh how I love the smell of a Tripel! Apple, pear, clove, black pepper, yeast, and booze. Getting some earthy tones off the first sip, that black pepper is back also. This beer definitely doesn't hide the fact that it's 9%. This beer is smooth at first, but i'm not digging the carbonation on the way down. Overall a very very solid Tripel, but I've had better.

4.24/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: honey colored with a thick foam that dissipates into a thin ring

S: citrus, apricot, malty, biscuit

T: Complex, each sip is slightly different. citrus, banana, cloves. very complex yet still light

M: medium bodied with just the right level of carbonation. slightly chalky finish.

O: fantastic! complex, elegant, and a quite enjoyable beverage.

4.12/5  rDev -4.6%

It's been many a fortnight since I've enjoyed this brew last; plucked it from the wine shop shelves as the first drink of 2014. Here's to a year of gaining weight, drinking more and being less productive. La Fin Du Monde pours a dull, effervescent copper orange with fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Opaque body, not a whole lot of lace. Sweet and spicy on the nose, with notes of coriander, oranges, bready yeast and assorted citrus. One previous reviewer likened the scent to "salt sea air and steel." Sure, why not? Spices and citrus carry through to the palate in a big way. It's a complex profile that's hard to tease apart, with sweetness and spice and everything malty. Something about the moutfeel has always felt a bit off to me. Heresy, I know. My expectations for the style don't mesh well with the heaviness and aggressively carbonation. It goes down tasty but I'd be lying if I said it goes down smooth.

3.1/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Cloudy, golden, long lasting & thick head. One of the best parts of the beer for me.

Smell: Alcohol, banana, bubblegum

Taste: Heavy alcohol flavor, enough that it overshadows everything else. Very, very sour.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, slightly creamy, carbonation is not too

Overall: I don't know if It was a bad bottle. By the other reviews I'm guessing that may be the case but I'll wait a WHILE before trying it again.

Serving type: bottle poured into a pint glass

Oh sweet mercy, this looks delicious. Perfect bright solid white head of tight foamy bubbles. Semi opaque yellow/orange body. Tiny carbonation bubbles vigarously racing to the top, with no signs of stopping.

Smells tart and estery like a Wit. Orange rind bouquet of citrus aromas.

This is wonderful - completely wraps my tongue around in a soft velvety balanket of hoppy goodness. Carbonation dances, alcohol heats things up, solid malt profile gives just the right amount of body, but it's the hops that take this baby over the edge with perfect bitterness.

I forgot to mention the yeast. It adds so much to the flavor and smell. Estery, spicy, sweet and bitter. There is just so much going on it's hard to divide my attention to the complexity of this.

I generally have reservations about giving a beer all 5s - but not tonight. This is really that good. The second pour of the 750ml bottle is slightly warmer, allowing the flavor to expand and enunciate the delicate intricacies of its flavor.

If you read this and think that there is another Belgian Strong Pale Ale that is better, please beermail me.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy orange yellow with a massive white head. The first smell is almost all yeast. After sitting of a while it starts to give off more fruit notes. I get some strawberry. I also smell what almost appears to be bubble gum like odors. These are not unpleasant and I believe they are typical of the yeast used in this beer. The beer in full and cream like as it hits the pallet. It has a lot of the yeast and fruit flavors that were touched on earlier. It also has a good amount of sweetness which as the beer warms can become a little overwhelming. As the beer warm the alcohol also becomes much more apparent.
Overall a fantastic brew and a great value.

4.64/5  rDev +7.4%

750ml bottle poured into snifter (and partially shared with my g/f)

A: This beer is a slightly hazy golden yellow color. I got a solid finger of off white head that was somewhat creamy but also a bit fizzy ( a good amount of larger bubbles in there). The head lasted several minutes and left a bit of lacing on the glass. Lots of little carbonation bubbles.

S: The first smell is as impressive as it is complex. I get fruit and citrus smells: it reminds me of grapefruit, lychee and rambutan (SE Asian fruits). There is a yeast scent as well. And a bit of sugariness.

T: This beer has an almost fizzy yet complex taste going on. There are the citrus/fruit flavors and some other flavors that I think are from the yeast. The alcohol is also present on the aftertaste. The malt is there in a sweet way. It finishes dry with an aftertaste of yeast on the roof of my mouth.

M: I find this beer to have a slightly fizzy mouthfeel but a complex taste. I suppose it’s light to medium. I actually really like the bit of fizziness. It suits the complexity well.

O: An awesome beer. I like the complexity of the flavors and the awesome nose. It is a sipper, but it remains drinkable and doesn’t exhaust my palate. A beer like this cannot be easy to make, but I'm glad someone has figured it out!

3.94/5  rDev -8.8%

Tried this one at an informal tasting my friends and I threw ourselves. This was one of the highlights for most of those attending. Pours a nice deep honey colour, a little cloudy, with moderate head and lacing. The smell was warm and fruity with some strong spicy notes (even though it's not a heavy, wintry beer, the smell reminds me of X-mas timea bit). Mouthfeel was appropriately fizzy for a fruit flavoured drink, IMO. The taste borders on being sweet, but the spices stop it before it becomes too much. To me, to be perfectly honest, it doesn't really taste like my conception of what a beer should be; I'm not sure why exactly. Some of the people I was with declared it their favourite of the evening; I don't agree with this, but it was a fine beverage nonetheless.

La Fin Du Monde pours a golden blonde color with rapidly aspirating bubbles fleeing toward the frothy head. There is lots of action and eye appeal. The aroma is strongly suggestive of fruit - apples and grapes. The taste is of apples, with warming alcohol and yeast coming through. Carbonation s prevalent. While entirely pleasant, something is missing in intensity to make this an exceptional Belgian-style trippel.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into wine glass. It's a nice hazy solid gold color. Nice bit of carbonation on the pour and still plenty left on the drink.

Smells of sweet apples, very strong. Tastes of clove & very sweet...where's the alcohol? Not at all like a 9%-er. I didn't taste any apple. Aftertaste gets a bit of mild bitterness that lingers.

I like this tripel style and this beer makes me want to experiment more with other tripels. This beer is great and I'll give it more opportunities to grow on me.

4.03/5  rDev -6.7%

Visual Appeal: impressive cloudy gold or honey, thick white head is attractive but streaking not striking

Smell: could be stronger, slight citrus notes, yeasty

Flavour: orange, yeast, slight malt, coriander, herbal

Mouthfeel: pleasant carbonation, but not as pleasant as Duvel

Drinkability: stronger 9% ABV makes it a sipping beer, but alcohol not being as noticeable as I thought makes me tempted to try a few at a sitting

Poured into Victory Brewpub Golden Monkey tulip glass. Each made for the other.

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%

12oz foil-top bottle poured into my Chimay chalice.

A- Cloudy, honey color with a nice fluffy head that sticks just a bit down the glass.

S- Citrus and floral aroma with a lot of spiced clove. Pear is sticking out as well.

T- Just how it smells; floral, citrus and spiced clove on the front, with a sort of bitter yeastiness on the back. A bit breadier than anticipated from the smell. 9% extremely well masked. Delicious!

M- Medium, slightly dry body. Bubbly at first but kind of disappeared by the time i got to this time in the review. I must add, a bit of alcohol warmth is coming through now and really bringing out some subtleties.

D- Much easier to drink than the 9% led me to anticipate. Very impressed and will buy again.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

***NOTE: Make sure you open this beer up and let it get to the proper temprature. The flavors really come out***

A - Light yellow, unfiltered.

S - Smells of cloves and slighty of grapefruit. Good but not great. You can actually smell the alcohol.

T - Wow! Very, very complex. There was an tons of different tastes going on. Cloves/banana,fruit (apple), bitterness of hops, sweet malts, oranges. Very complex and exceptional. I could keep coming back to this. Plus the alcohol does hit you like a ton of bricks.

M - Mounthful was augmented by the great taste.

D - Nice.

Would I buy it again? Yes
Would I recommend it? Yes
Would I drink it at a party? Yes
Did my wife like it? "It might be the most interesting beer I've ever tasted. Reminds me of a good wine. I would drink that. Makes me want another one. It exploded in my mouth."

Overall: Was this one of the best beers on earth? For the sheer taste alone, it is. Everything else was good, but man, the complex taste of this tripel was out of this world (pun intended).

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

A - a yellow pale, golden, honey color. its not clear at all, is between clear and hazy. The head was a fizzy, dimiinishing in seconds.not lacing at all.

S - Sweet toast. caramel, perfumy, floral. Some oranges, coriander, spices going around that made this a fruity,floral smell. Nice- appeling.

T - A lot of fruits going around, lemon, orange, bananas! Spices, floral flavors. grainy, a kick of nuts! a high percentage of alcohol that is well-balanced. A very clean balanced flavors and ingredients.

M - Incredibly smooth. buttery. crispy but creamy. the carbonation is delicate. well balanced body. and the finish is between dry and wet.

O - Excellent beer. Well balanced crispy-creamy beer. High in alcohol that makes this beer even more interesting. Floral, spicy, fruity, but a kick of nuts!

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A tripel that anyone can drink easily.

3.85/5  rDev -10.9%

This creamy opaque golden delight mounted a rich white two finger head that slipped down to a milky-like cover that made for a sticky lace. Throughout the length of the beverage there was a continuous feed of bubbles delivered in fizzures of fine streams reaching upward. Ripe apricot-peach, soft citrus, yeast, and a subtle clove and etoh made for a delightful nose. At times there was a lurking metal essence noted. A medium dimension filled the mouth with again, the fruit of the nose, a hay tang, with light floral and gentle spice. This stuff warms the belly. This La Fin Du Monde 12 oz. bottle was with much carbonation, for me it was too sparkling for balance. The finish was sweet with a dry, peppery, bubbly presence. Unfortunately a mucky aftertaste was left at the back of the mouth. I can appreciate the grand reviews this brew receives but for me, for this bottle, it was not there.

3.89/5  rDev -10%

12 oz. bottle. Best before 6/12/06, enjoyed on 11/7/05. Pours a murky, pale yellow/orange with a medium sized, fizzy, white head. Mostly diminishing. Aroma is banana, orange, lemon and cloves. The flavor is very refreshing, oranges, apricots and bananas. The lively carbonation bites the tongue on the finish. Alcohol is very well hidden. This one was quite enjoyable.

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

There are not too many Canadian products that evoke a strong brand following here in America, but it's time we made Unibroue a household name. La Fin Du Monde is "the end of the world" in French but what it really means is that you should go to the end of the world, if necessary, to pick some of this up. Luckily for us, Unibroue is distributed widely in our market, and therefore available just around the corner.
This is one of the many beers I keep coming back to, time and time again. I miss it if it's been awhile, and feel like I need to welcome it back into my home.
La Fin Du Monde is in the Belgian strong-triple style and is liquid gold, literally. The beer pours a hazy beautiful golden, with a full billowy head of white foam.
What makes La Fin Du Monde exceptional amongst its North American counterparts is the full sweet-tart peppery smell, and monster yeasty, bready, and fruity flavor. Like many traditional Belgian-style breweries, Unibroue uses proprietary house yeast for its beers that add a unique character, and their yeast seems to leave this typically dry style on the sweet end of the spectrum with a massive pronounced complexity of flavors. This beer is bottle conditioned, meaning a small amount of yeast is left in the bottle to carbonate and mellow out the beer, enhancing the full flavors of the drink.
Drinking most of this French-Canadian breweries beer is an experience that I can't recommend enough, and La Fin Du Monde is a brilliant example of their craft and skill. If this is the end of the world, then I really do feel fine.

3.05/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured into a snifter. Kind of a cloudy yellowish orange color. Very fizzy looking. Minimal lacing.

Smell reminded me of some hefeweizens I have had. Some fruity banana smells.

Taste was fruity but also somewhat metallic. Alcohol is noticable. Ok, but not really my favorite. I have sampled several Belgian style beers and so far I have not been overly impressed. I just don't think it is my style.

Mouthfeel was ok. Seemed too fizzy and light.

Drinkability. Not really. Maybe if I liked this style more. Apparently a lot of people think this is wonderful, but it doesn't do much for me.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

From the Trader Joe's 4-pack 355 mL into a Pinot glass.

A: Murky golden peach in color with a huge head that leads to fine lacing. Excellent color!

S: Loads of Belgian yeast and bread. That yeast gives it wonderful sour undertones once the ale has warmed up. Nice spice, coriander (?), typical Belgian spicy character. Honeysuckle comes through as the brew heats up. Slightly metallic.

T: That load of yeast shines bright on the palate. Lots of butter and honeysuckle. Awesome! No metal comes through, which I was sort of anticipating. A little sweet but very pleasant. Reminds me of a Sunday morning with waffles and butter and fresh strawberries.

M: Awesome! Huge! Great tactile sensation!

D: Once or twice a year is perfect for this one.

WIFE EVEN LIKES THIS IT!

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Great beer that is fairly hard to find, at least here in Kansas.

L - cloudy orange with a small white head

S - fruity, peach, and a hint of grape

T - Fruity, peach, grape, and with a pleasant carmel finish

M - Very carbonated. I found myself burping after every other drink.

D - This is a smooth beer considering the ABV. I would have given it a higher rate here, if it wasn't for the constant burping from the high carbonation.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue