La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -19%

4.97/5  rDev +15%

Cloudy orange color with a foamy think head. Awesome head retention And lacing. Sticks to the glass the whole time. Put it up to a light and you can see carbonation bubbles rushing to the top. From start to finish this Tripel looks great!!

Very crisp aroma. Hints of orange peel, coriander, cloves, bread, and some sweetness from the alcohol.

A fruity tartness hits the tongue at first. Tart like a fresh orange. After that hings of cloves, bread, yeast, and an almost sugar like sweetness. But, this ale has a great balance because the yeast and the grains just pull through.

Light body made refreshing and crisp from the carbonation. At 9% abv they do a very good job at hiding this because is a very very! drinkable Tripel. Probably one of the best damn Tripel ales I have tasted.

Hands down you must try this Ale and now it is easy to find (at least in my state). Can I have some more?

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%

A-pours a cloudy golden/orange hue with a white fizzy head
S-apple,apricot,spice,belgian yeast
T-wet hay/belgian yeast up front with the apple/apricot flavor following
M-medium with high carbonation
O-one of my favorite triples, great flavor and complexity

4.58/5  rDev +6%

A- Banana gold with medium carbonation.

S- Like a Tripel should smell. Spices up front with a bit of sweet fruity smell. Tons of things to pick up on.

T- Banana, cloves, spices, belgian yeast, slight hops, notes of apple, pear, a tad of malt, and some very subtle hints of the alcohol in the aftertaste. Hides the ABV extremely well.

As it warms up the alcohol strengthens slightly and the fruit tastes become more vivid, leaving you with a very nice aftertase. I think it hits it's best as it begins to warm up a bit.

M- Fairly full body and very smooth. The carbonation fits the bill and compliments the body very well.

D- One of the easiest 9%'s to drink that I've discovered. I could see myself downing the whole 750ml beast very quickly if not for self control.

I bought four of these after I tasted my first in this review, and I plan to get 4 more. I'd dare to say this is my favorite readily available beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Unibroue may very well be my favorite brewery, and ever since I was first blown away by Trois Pistoles, I've gone back to their beers ever since. Tonight will be my first La Fin Du Monde in quite awhile though. I can't wait.

APPEARANCE: Poured (fittingly) into my Unibroue tulip. Pale golden straw in color with slight orange highlights. A rocky white head sits atop but falls somewhat quickly to just a fraction of itself. The half inch head that remains holds very well though, and tops the beer off nicely. No lacing to speak of, however.

SMELL: The smell is of pungent Belgian yeast along with citrus (predominantly orange), coriander and spice, golden raisin, and barely, some leafy hop aromas. The breadiness overpowers the other aromas ever so slightly, but overall, this beer smells great.

TASTE: Starts very bready, but the malt quickly shines with a prominent caramelness. Intense hiccups of sweet orange occasionally pop up. The finish is a little on the dry side but retains the yeasty and malty sweetness.

MOUTHFEEL: A sharp carbonation greets you at first sip and develops into a creamy medium-full body. Just right.

DRINKABILITY: Very easy. The dryness hinders it just a bit, but you wouldn't guess 9%, so it hides it fairly well. This is the perfect beer for a mild spring evening like tonight.

La Fin Du Monde really holds its own in the Belgian Strong Pale category despite the serious competition at the top. I will absolutely revisit this beer again and again.

3.93/5  rDev -9%

750ml bottle, best before 2-21-08, poured into a Duvel glass

Gorgeous cloudy golden color, frothy white head leaves some lace, disspiates leaving about 1/3 inch.

Fresh, herbal, grassy aroma, coriander.

Wow, the active fine carbonation creates a fantastically creamy mouthfeel. Utterly addictive, I want to keep drinking more and more...

So crisp and fresh on first tatse, wondeful sweetness spreads across the tongue but balanced perfectly by bracing tanginess...mild hoppy bitterness in the long long finish...but never an overwhelming IPA hophead-type bitterness, an invigorating beautiful interplay of bitter, sweet, refreshing...the 9% alcohol is almost impossible to believe let alone detect...you want to keep drinking and drinking this until...the end of the world!!!

Easily one of the best beers I have had. WHY don't I have more in my fridge right now!

edit 10/17/08: Very interesting to try this after much more beer tasting experience. Still a great beer, but have tasted many better sunce I wrote the review. The flaw here is that the brew is too sweet. I have adjusted my ratings today.

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

341ml bottle
9.0% abv

I tried this beer on December 21, 2007 at "Smokeless Joe's" in Toronto. The beer poured a murkey golden brown with a generous white head. The aroma was a combinaion of malt and plums. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with high carbonation. The favour was spicy, malty, and slightly bitter.

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a light hazy golden with about three fingers of fluffy white head that settles a few minutes later and leave some nice lacing throughout the drink.

Smell: Apple, lemon and some other fruits, clove, spices and yeast.

Taste: Clove, fruit notes, spices and yeast.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and velvety.

Drinkability: Classic example of the Tripel style. My favorite Unibroue beer.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

Brownish straw color with a voluminous white head.
Bitey aroma of clove, yeast, alcohol, and banana.

Taste is crisp and bitey. Lots of spice in the tart flavor. Clove and alcohol have a strong presence. The beer doesn't support this high of an ABV IMHO. Malt and hops take a backseat to everything else going on in this beer.

Lots of carbonation in the mouthfeel.
Drinkability is good despite the high ABV.

Overall, a good beer, but definitely not my favorite Unibroue.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

I've had some less than stellar experiences from unibroue, though through no fault of the brewery (I failed to check the dates on a sampler pack I had bought) and so, even after checking to make sure this one wasn't expired; I purchased the bottle with a bit of subconcious aprehension.

I'm glad I did.

Poured a cloudy orange amber color with a nice cap of white head.

The smell is orange citrus, bread, and spice. The taste is sweet, everything in the nose is in the mouth except for the boogers; add a bit of clove to the taste as well. The 9% alcohol is masked well; this is probably easier to drink than it should be.

Such a smooth beer, glad to have tried it; will definately try again.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%

12oz. Bottle poured into a wide pint mug. Wonderful color of orange, smelling of wheat, citrus and a bit of spice. Definitely a top five or ten beer for me. The head dissipates fairly quickly. Mouthfeel is very nice and smooth and very drinkable for the abv. I've exposed many a Blue Moon honk to this wonderful beer, I say that because that's what most tell me when I have them taste La Fin Du Monde. No orange needed, the wonderful all natural citrus taste comes standard.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue