La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -13%

4.57/5  rDev +6%

It's rather hard to believe that this brew contains 9% ABV. Pale, pale wonderfully pale. Fruity must and spice nose. The moment you notice the sweetness a rush of mellow bitterness tugs your buds for attention. At the "End of the World" there is a brewery that turns out some fantastic beers. Quality, Eh!

3.9/5  rDev -9.5%

Beer #2 of my 11 aged Unibroue beers. This has been in my father's basement.

Age - 1.17 years

Pale, yellowish-orange color. Lots of darker sediment. Vigorous carbonation rising in specific vertical trails. Smaller head that settles to a light white covering. The aroma is very round and full. Vanilla, banana, mild yeast, and orange peel. The taste begins as a tart citrusy-hop bite followed by a crispy, spicy yeast flavor. The end has a slight alcohol zip, heightened by the fizzy carbonation. The full, malty background has degraded a bit which lets the complex cloves, citrus zest, and hops to take the front seat. The finish seems to be a bit drier as well. The mouthfeel is much lighter and less sticky than I've had before, increasing the drinkability, but reducing the mouthfeel. Overall, I'd say that this beer is in the infant stages of cellaring. The aroma is shifting, the mouthfeel has become more prickly, the beer is starting a noticeable change. It is taking on a very Champagne-ish characteristic.

Join me in about a year for bottle #3...
---

Well, year 2 is here. This bottle is 2.07 years young.

Poured into a flute this beer is very clear now. Deep golden color with an inch head that settles quickly to a half. Very active carbonation maintains the head. The smell is dry, tart, and appley. That round and mellow yeast presence is very limited as the bottle has been sitting uninterrupted for a solid 7 months. I am amazed that there is not one bit of lees or sediment in my pour. Absolutely crystal clear. The taste is becoming more like a saison in that it is dry and peppery with a metallic tone. The rich citrus fruit aspect has gone mostly away and I am left with a sweet white-wine-ish and mild dry beer. I taste what might be very slight oxidation with a noticed bit of papery tone at the end. I will make a decision next year about the future of the rest of the case. If it starts to get cardboardy, I will have a party and get rid of it.

See you again in about a year for bottle #4.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Ordered a bottle at l'Ile Noire in Montreal. I couldn't believe I've never rated this one, seeing I've been drinking it for a decade.

A-Dark but clear brownish amber w/nice off-white head, respectable retention, and good lacing.

S-Roast malt, spice, earth and smoke, ginger, coriander, and complex fruit esters.

T-Roast sweet malt backbone w/spicy midpalate, and slightly smoky and lightly hopped finish. Full flavored w/multiple layers of complexity.

M-Smooth and velvety body w/nice carbonation and excellent balance.

D-Very pleasant to drink. An old favorite I'll consistently come back to.

4.37/5  rDev +1.4%

Brown with gold hints, and a pleasing aroma of yeast and citrus fruit. It strikes a great balance between fruit and yeast flavors too, along with some sweet floral notes. Quite carbonated, with no overpowering alcohol flavors. Refreshing enough to be consumed in hot weather, yet warming enough to be consumed in the winer. Well done!

This ale pours out a hazy copper color with a huge white head that laces and retains quite well.
The aroma is yeasty, fruity and has a slight amount oh hop presence.
The flavor begins very fruity and then gives off a strong clove flavor followed by yeast and more fruit. I detect apples mixed with black cherries. There is also a slight hop presence near the finish.
Mouth feel is medium in body and actively carbonated.

Another quality ale by Unibroue

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A- This is the 1st tripel I've ever had and right off the bat, I'm impressed with the 750ml bottle, and the cork top plus wire that's holding it down. The cork popped once taken out, like a semi-sparkling wine...great so far. I soft poured on an angle into my glass and only filled about half way due to the impressive foamy white head that kept swelling. The coloring is a hazy amber/off orange with some noticable carbonation. This looks like a real winner!

S- This is very complex! First thing I noticed was a rich yeasty aroma, like fresh bread with melted butter on it. There's definately some baking spices in there as well, plus flowery alcohol aromas, some nuttiness, lots of malt and even some tropical fruits. Every whiff brings something different to the table on this one!

T- Again, many different flavors come to life in this. First thing that I notice is the spiciness of the beer. Reminds me somewhat of gingerbread cookies. I tasted the tropical fruits, and even some tart citrus notes. Once through these tastes, the maltiness of the brew comes to life, especially in the finish, along with some balanced hops and there is a heavy yeasty flavor that I detected. Great stuff!

M- I have to agree with a previous review in the fact that this beer seems to get a fuller body the more it is enjoyed. I noticed as I made my second pour that the consistancy was thicker than the first. The first half is much more bubbly and the second half is very creamy on the palate....I like it more the longer I'm drinking it.

D- I've decided that this is a very near perfect beer, but it is full bodied....that and the fact that I had 3/4 of a litre and I've had as much as I can handle for a night. This would definately be enjoyable with an old cheddar cheese. I recommend this beer for anyone who truly enjoys the finer brews in life and think this would be a great beer to celebrate with! With that said though, this beer is, in my opinion, a sipping beer and a single bottle would suffice for an entire evening.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue