La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,475
4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

A--No exaggeration: looks exactly like fresh pressed apple cider.

S--Citrus and sweetness, with a bit of malty goodness.

T--Sweet and savory with the taste of apple and finishes to some citrus. Light burn of alky adds a bit of warmth.

M--Effervescent and bubbly, but still thick and substantial.

D--Dangerous, very dangerous. So easy to drink and quite potent. Consuming a whole bottle would be inadvisable if you wanted to stay....sharp.

Very good, lives up to its reputation.

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into my trusty highball from the bottle with dinner.

Appearance: I don't know if the fridge conked out or something, but there was an enormous amount of foam with this beer, even when poured sideways. When the head finally dissipated, leaving nice lacing, it was golden at the edges and a dark straw at the centre, and more than a bit cloudy.

Smell: smoky and quite spicy, which was unusual, faint sweet and fruity notes.

Moutfeel: a perfect balance of thickness and fizz, it goes down very well.

Taste: it delivers on the promises its smell makes, with a nice piquance in front and not excessively hoppy. It finishes a bit citrusy, and malty. Very interesting, and very smooth for its alcohol content (9%)

Drinkability: it goes down well without offending the senses, and while it is not to my usual taste, it is quite nice, with a pleasant buzz to boot.

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

One of my top 3 brews. If you love tripels this is one of the finest examples. Treat yourself.

Pours a golden honey brew with a full beige creamy crown. Cloudy body, with nice carbonation. Very easy on the nose with some floral, banana, cloves and sweet malts notes, with a slight touch of alcohol. Very similar on the palate than on the nose, although the alcohol tends to come out as the brew warms up. Great drinkability and surprisingly refreshing for a 9%abv tripel.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Hazy orange color, tall and fizzy head that i enjoyed stuffing my nose into. Smells bright with scents of clove like I'd expect in a tripel.

Tastes great, remarkably well combined flavors of citrus, clove like spices. Goes down really smooth, no suggestions of a 9% abv. Carbonation is right where I'd like it to be, I'd drink this almost any time of year in almost any setting.

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%

A--Pours a rich golden apricot color. Has a thick smooth head of about 1 1/2 inches, which retains well and leaves some lacing. Very appetizing from the start.

S--Heaven. The same apricot from the appearance, along with strong biscuit, yeast, and dough. I also detect some banana and clove.

T--Essence of sweet and ripe light fruits--pear, apricot, papaya--but it's not markedly sweet or cloing, by far. The biscuity, buttery yeast provides the perfect backdrop and rounds it out into a beautiful dry finish.

M--Smooth, rich, and creamy, it coats the palate and allows the complex tastes to linger for miles.

D--The alcohol is remarkedly well hidden, though the warmth is there. This could kick your butt if you're not careful.

Overall, this is one of the best belgians I've ever had. It is frickin beautiful. Stellar example of this style.

3.66/5  rDev -15.1%

12-ounce bottle, served in a tulip glass (11/07/2012)
Appearance: rich, deep golden color, a white head that thins out but sticks around for a while
Aroma: a lot of aroma comes off of this guy, it smells complex and strong; fruit and a hint of spice notes come through mostly, smells very sweet
Taste: it starts sweet as it moves through some of the fruits and the grains; it has a bit of a hop and spice at the end there too; the aftertaste is pretty dry, maybe from the high ABV
Mouthfeel: it's pretty syrupy and coats the mouth more than Don or Trios did; it is thick; carbonated well;
Overall Impression: honestly, I was hoping for something more, and admittedly my expectation may have colored my impression of the beer; I love Belgian Ales and this was supposed to be a great one...it's just good; it's certainly not as sweet as it smells and not as sweet as some other Belgians that I have had, especially since it ends on a dry, bitter note that I am not wild about; it is complex, it has a richness of flavor; the best part of the taste is the middle, where some of the characteristics of a classic Belgian come out-but I think that the best part of the beer is how it looks...it looks perfect and pretty

Had this beer a few times and I don't see why it's such a great beer. I've had my fair share of great beers, but La Fin Du Monde for me is an overrated beer, one that overshadows many other great Canadian beers such as Creemore Springs, which I think is a far superior tasting beer than this. Personally, I think this beer doesn't rival Unibrue's Blanche De Chambly. The taste is very fruity and it has a high alcohol content. This is one of my least favorite beers, and I don't recommend it.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Like all Unibroue beers, this one is highly carbonated, almost champagne-like. It is not an all occasion beer, at 9.0 ABV, but when it's right it's right. The packaging is impressive, I enjoy giving this as gifts, and it's got a certain undeniable something. I wanted to love this beer, but have to admit that while it is very good I do not know if I consider it a world-class beer. I am willing to assume that I am un-worldly. But I know what I like and there are many beers that I prefer. Each time I go back to it expecting to be surprised, I remember that it has let me down before. Your mileage may vary, and I honestly hope it does. I respect this beer, but I do not love it.

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice cloudy yellow. Nose is fairly mild- that nice Belgian yeastiness comes through and I also get some subtle spicy and fruity notes. The taste is where this beer really shines. At 9% ABV, I was expecting something complex and interesting but hard to get down. This beer is extremely well-balanced and drinkable. You could tell me I was drinking a 6% abv-er and I'd believe you- it's that smooth. It has almost white wine-like qualities. I get apple, pear, clove, and some breadiness. There is almost no bitterness and the alcohol is present only in the nice warming feeling as you get farther into the pint. Nice full mouthfeel.

This really is a world class beer. An instant favorite and one I'd seek out again. At 9% ABV, it is complex and hard-hitting but has absolutely zero off-putting qualities. White wine meets a better version of Delirium Tremens.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent triple, slightly different than the classic Belgian version. For a high ABV, the alcohol does not overpower. Full of flavor, a must have.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

I tried this from the bottle at our company Christmas party (I was in charge of the beer so it worked out nicely). I loved popping the cork and bumping a ceiling tile out of place when it jetted up from the bottle! Poured into the glass and got about 3/4 of an inch head. It looked like a nice wheat beer with bright straw yellow color. I got a hint of verbena in the nose. The flavor seemed to be a cross between a light sour belgian and a hefeweizen with lemon. Pretty darn refreshing for a relatively serious beer. Definitely would have it again and again.

4.58/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into a wine glass at my local bar. They don't have the proper glassware so it definitely deserved this over a pint glass! LOL Pours a very decent size head with smells of pepper, ripe apples, and pears. Carbonation is very high but works so well with this. Taste is outstanding with a crisp, spicy and fruity balance that is wonderful. Mouthfeel is near perfect and this beer will sneak up on you with it's 9% ABV. I had 3 after a few IPA's and they let me know it! A fantastic brew by the champs of Canada IMHO!

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours a moderately carbonated hazy yellow color with a slight head. There is a nice spicy smell with a cloudy and alcoholic sweet aroma (banana maby). The best part... taste, wow more carbonated than visible and hints of lemon and spices with hops blending into a nice warming sensation of a finale. A great beer that is reminiscent slightly of champagne.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a nice golden color wiht thick head. Smell has fruit and yeast in it. The taste is really nice. Good balance and a subdued flavoring of citrus, sweetness and malt. The mouthfeel is quite light especially for the strength and it makes for a drinkable beer. I do wish it had slightly more character.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

Medium body, lots of head retention, light gold in color.

Smells soapy, citrusy and sweet.

Attacks hard with lots of fruit. Finishes with a nice vegetal touch.

Very drinkable. One of my favorite go-to's when I'm not in the mood for anything in particular.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured out of a bottle with a "best before" date of 08-22-10, into a Riedel Vinum burgundy glass.

A = Nice light orange color. A little cloudiness. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles rising (like in a champagne). One finger of white head. Goes down to thin, but solid, head that lasts throughout. Some lacing.

S = Very fruity, sweet smell. Some mango, some apple, a little bit of bananas. Some clove in there. Yeast and spiciness that become more pronounced as the beer warms up.

T = Like the smell (see above), but the fruitiness becomes a little less sweet, and little more tart (but not too tart at all). Nice hop bitterness and peppery spiciness in the finish. Hides the alcohol very well.

M = More carbonation than I was expecting. Not overwhelming, but it's definitely there. Becomes very (dangerously) smooth as the beer warms. Medium body.

D= Really enjoyed this one. Just great, balanced complexity. Lots of things going on, and they all fit very well. Doesn't feel too heavy, and the alcohol is well hidden (until you stand up), so there's definitely a danger of having too many of these.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from 1 Pt 9.4 fl. oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Nice clean golden color;nice moderate lacing; one inch white soapy head...looked nice & clean and refeshing.

S - Yeast,floral,coriander,citrus(orange peel, lemon); no real booze smell, evenwith the high ABV

T - Citrus(Orange peel,lemon),yeast,malt,subtle spice,slightly sour finish, but not in an unpleasant way

M -high carbonation, was expecting a heavier feel, but was not dissapointed with the lighter mouthfeel

D - went down smooth, was quite refreshing, could be an all day/night beer if it wasn't for the high ABV. if you use it as a session beer, do not even look at a car....it goes down so nice that you can have too much without even knowing it!

4.18/5  rDev -3%

very nice darkish peachy hue to this beer. nice medium head of foam that quickly collapses upon itself to a fine layer. nice fruity smell mixed with a smidgen of hoppyness. very crisp fruity flavors, very tropical tasting to me. goes down the hatch with ease with a tiny bite of hops toward the end. this is a perfect summer beer for me

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Serving size 12 oz bottle in wide mouth wine goblet.

A- Cloudy golden yellow with small rich head that quickly dissolves leaving tiny champagne bubbles rising in the glass.

S-Belgian yeasty, sweet and fruity.Very inviting

T- well carbonated,fruity and slightly sour beginning, balanced malt/hops, warm alcohol middle with a sweet fruity wine grape finish

M-more like a sparkling wine than a beer. medium body.

D-made to be sipped and savored. Delicious!

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

Apperance : pours about a fist sized head and is a light golden color. Significant lacing.

Aroma: yeast, ferment, citrus, but dry like straw or grass.

At first it is sweet and maybe a little bland, then the heavier yeast flavor kicks in a with a slight choppy aftertaste. Sits well in the mouth, easy to drink but feels substantial. Not complicated tastes, but not a shallow beer either

3.68/5  rDev -14.6%

A - the appearance of this beer is similar to a very light champagne. Not the most impressive appearance to the beer. Poured into a snifter glass with one half finger of head. Color is golden yellow.

S - yeast notes and faint sweetness dominate the smell of this beer. Other than that there is not much of a smell to speak of.

T - Very good. Not the best beer I have had by far, but still some pleasant notes detectable in this beer. Can definitely taste some yeast funk in here with some sweet notes. Some dried fruits are present as well, but not to a great degree. Near the end of the sip there is some definite hop bitterness that becomes present.

M - very smooth mouthfeel to this beer. Some slight carbonation notes can be detected as well.

O - Overall there is not much to set this beer apart from other beers out there. The one thing that it does have going for it is that it is very drinkable and smooth on the palate. There is some hop bite near the end of the sip that makes a little less enjoyable for me, but overall it is an above average beer.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

4.57/5  rDev +6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I always get this at my favorite sushi restaurant. It pars very well. This is my fiancés favorite beer. While it's not my favorite though it is certainly up there.
L: hazy golden straw and looks very carbonated. Poured a nice white cream colored head that lasted a while.
S: banana clove Belgian yeasts
T: awesome ! Really well carbonated . Nice banana and clove from the yeast. Little fruit notes, it don't really love the fruity notes however. Extremely smooth and crisp at the end.
Nothing bad to say about this beer. It's just really good. Good job Canada, thought this was from Belgium!

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%

This one put the nail on the coffin for me. I had this one after a good night of beer tasting. The look was a golden blonde with the look that reminded me of champange with the head looking rather light. The smell is what resembled a sweet tangy candy with tints of spice, at some point it reminded me of apple pie. The taste was no doubt as close to the smell, has a tangy fruit based sometimes close to strawberries with an after taste of maple syrup. The drinkablity was the key point here, all that flavor with a 9% ABV in stealth mode, was the note the put me to sleep after. When having a beer for dinner consider this a candidate.

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

One of my first dips in to the big bottles. Pours a goregous gold with crisp white head. There is slight carbonation bubbling up the sides. The aroma had apples, bannanas, and yeast qualties. The taste brought along the yeast and fruity bite. Absolutly silky mouthfeel is a very nice touch to this one.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue