2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,112 | Reviews: 2,692 | Show All Ratings:
Jaxxon61

British Columbia (Canada)

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%

This...beer...alas, a Belgian tripel...is so delicious. I could waste your precious time with the pedantic musings of others as to its clovey-sweet, perfectly-balanced super excellence. But there is no time for hyperbole. Time to drink, voyageurs! Time to quaff this mysterious bitch-goddess from La Belle Province! Bow to its wondrous, inexplicable enchantments! Drink it...like you know you like it!

10-31-2010 07:23:58 | More by Jaxxon61
aventinus829

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Quite possibly my new favorite beer. Definitely the best tripel i've ever had. Amazing!

A: Light, golden haze.
T: Very sweet, but in a good way, and balanced with clove spiciness. The high alcohol content adds some nice warming.
D: It would be quite easy to finish off a glass (or more) very quickly, but the high alcohol content will put you down fast.

11-22-2010 03:08:23 | More by aventinus829
jerryc123

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Careful pour into a chalice shaped goblet from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance is a slightly hazy yellowish-gold color. Thin white-colored head with fine bubbles. No head retention and little to no lacing.

Smell/Aroma/Nose is champagne-yeast-like and slightly reminiscent of crisp apple.

Taste is complex. Opening with apple and clove with a sweet note, then a hefeweizen-like taste minus the esters. Very long finish ends on a dry note, enticing you to take another sip. This is a triple, but you do not notice the alchohol. You could get in trouble drinking this beer.

Mouthfeel is light and thin, champagne-like, with fine carbonation.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, and will buy again.

12-15-2010 03:05:56 | More by jerryc123
Interfectus

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not fundamentally opposed to Tripel's, but they're not really my first choice in beer style. However, this one is just delightful :) The color is pretty beautiful, pouring as a opaque golden color. The head was a bit foamier at first (as with all Belgians) , but it soon settled into a nice, thin, creamy blanket resting on top. At 9% the alcohol content is relatively high, but the sweet honey flavors, malts, and yeasts balance each other very well, effectively masking any overwhelming taste of alcohol. Carbonation wasn't overbearing (my usual complaint with Belgian beers). Probably the best Tripel I've ever had. Definitely worth a try, even if you're not a fan of Belgian style beer (which I'm not!).

06-12-2011 03:22:45 | More by Interfectus
sgtaxt

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Hazy golden color. Two finger head; thick, creamy. Dissipates quickly, yet nobly, leaving a nice lacing. Tiny bubbles noticeable, giving the beer a playful character.

S: A wonderful balance between sweet and spicy. Notes of apple, citrus, some malt, and pepper.

T: Sweet on the front of the tongue, initially citrus-y; the 9% ABV makes itself apparent with a (inoffensive) metallic twang. Matures into notes of cherry and phenolic cloves and pepper. Leaves a warm feeling and a bitter, dry aftertaste.

M: Smooth and soft on the front, with a satisfactory weight. Carbonation tingles the back of the throat.

O: Wonderful. My first tasting of La Fin du Monde (as well as my first review). I think I've found a new favorite.

09-14-2011 22:47:51 | More by sgtaxt
Scott_McCool

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

Wow, I wasn't expecting this. Big sticky head. Cloudy yellow color. Tingles on the tongue. Slight hints of Orange Peel. Sneaky high alcohol content. Refreshing yet tastes great. My wife, with beer tastes very different than mine, also loved it. One of my new favorites.

09-15-2012 17:29:45 | More by Scott_McCool
EternalCask

Connecticut

3.86/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.13.2013
Barley vine-behind the bar
La fin du monde-end of the world
Unibroue
Chambly, Quebec

Good gracious eh?

I couldn't resist. Save for molson golden.. This is my first foray into Canadian beer.

A- hazy beach sand... Very pretty and elegant looking
S- clove, cardamom, cinnamon, cotton candy!
T-hints of bitter birch, more clove business, Indian food or Thai is calling!
M- sharp and sprightly
O- my Interest is peaked... Fun and interesting...high brow and balanced.. An achievement!!

04-13-2013 22:48:49 | More by EternalCask
MattChaos

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

By some fluke, I came across a case (six four-packs) of LA FIN DU MONDE for $30 in Boone, NC. Being a huge fan of the UNIBROUE brewery, I couldn't pass up this opportunity for a beer I've never tasted from a brewery I love. I'm a bigger fan of the DON DE DIEU, but this beer did not fail to deliver.

A- Negligible, sad to say. It poured horribly from bottle to pub glass which lend credence to the reviews I've seen in the past about the carbonation. This is not a pleasant beer to look at straight out of the bottle. I'm still watching my second glass settle. The lace looks like a vanilla milkshake. Not a show-beer.

S- I can't stop sniffing this beer with every sip. Coriander and...is that tangerine? From front to back, this beer smells even better as it warms and the fruit has made its way to the front.

T- Now I understand why fellow reviewers can't believe this is a 9.0% brew. I could easily finish a 4-pack before my liver reminds me that was a bad idea. The damned thing sips (doesn't taste, mind you) like a Hefe. I keep going back expecting a bite and it never happens. This is the subtlety of the variety of spices that have gone into brewing this piece of work. I'm usually a heavy smoker, and even heavier when drinking, but I don't even want a cigarette during this beer for fear of ruining the light and almost spicy taste of this remarkable tripel.

M- Nothing negative to say. No chop, no wince, a thoroughly enjoyable drink from neck to coaster. The fruit lingers not on the tongue, but in the entire mouth. What a joy!

O- My largest complaint is the pour. I've spent enough time in front of and behind the bar, I still can't find a way to pour this beer correctly. I'm sure out of a tap it's easier, but even on my third glass, refrigerated at a moderate 42 degrees, a 3-inch head settled into an inch and didn't disappear. Aesthetics aside, a top-notch beer for a great price. UNIBROUE never fails to deliver!

05-28-2013 04:52:19 | More by MattChaos
beerrookie

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%

Had this from a bottle, at of all places, in a really nice pool hall. (i don't play pool, it was my first time there and was shocked to see the extensive beer menu). It was my first "real" beer and was surprised to find it wasn't as heavy as I feared it might be. The mouth feel was surprisingly light although I could "taste" the alcohol after I swallowed it. In a way it kinda reminded me of sam adams summer ale. (PLease don't yell at me if that is an inappropriate comparison) Although I could not see what it looked like, (in fact I was unable to see light through it at all) I imagine it was darker than almost anything I've ever had. the smell was absolutly wonderfull and I imagine if I built up a tolerance I could drink a few at one sitting...not a session, that would be a shame (and expensive).
I do, however, have a serious question, are you supposed to drink the sediment at the bottom? I did and found it raunchy. I would appreciate an answer because I plan to try it again.

08-26-2005 08:30:31 | More by beerrookie
jasonguit

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

Man, this stuff is good. What can I say? My roommate, who doesn't like beer, had a sip of this, and said it might have changed his whole opinion of drinking beer more often. This is after my forcing him to sample many types of premium mircros from Saisons to Irish Stouts. I don't know what is a better compliment than that.

Apperence - Golden yellow

Smell - nice grainy smell. I'm not as good as a lot of you at describing smell. It just smelled grainy and fresh.

Taste - Reminded me a lot of most Belgian whites at first. Spicy, complex, but light at the same time. In fact if you had not told me it was brewed in Quebec, I would have swore it was Belgian. It really is amazing how well Unibroue does at making Belgian style beers. It reminded me a lot of Hoegaarden with the contrast and color turned up so to speak. It is just deeper, more full, and more round.

Mouthfeel - a smidge on the bubbly side. Nothing particularly bad here, but the carbonation can overwhelm if drank too quickly.

Drinkability - Great! Goes down easy. I have pretty well destroyed a 750 ml in the last 45 minutes, so watch out. It is easy to drink quick but a shame to not enjoy.

04-24-2006 03:44:54 | More by jasonguit
Micahman

New Hampshire

4.88/5  rDev +13%

A. Beautiful golden apricot, cascades of carbonation lasting through the drink.

S. Crisp golden apples, some notes of nutmeg, fig, and ripe apricot. Bit of yeast.

T. Fruitiness of apple, apricot, and fig. Hints of hazy spice and a wheat-like note. Similar to Chimay, but also reminds me of Delirium Tremens. There is that distinctive yeast-spice tone to it. Complex yet exceptionally drinkable.

M. Smooth, warm, and perfectly carbonated. Not too sweet or too bitter; easy to sip with a meal or by itself.

D. Not even a hint of the 9% abv. A 750 ml bottle could easily put you to sleep...the taste is so sublime it creeps up on you. Warm, crisp, good with pasta and sharp cheese.

I am amazed that a beer can be this good. I rank this with Delirium, Chimay, and Duvel. I personally like it better than Duvel; not as sweet, but this is indeed a world-class beer.

01-11-2008 02:08:11 | More by Micahman
melmoth100

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Served from a 22-oz bottle into a tulip-style glass.

A - Cloudy, orangish/yellow with heavy carbonation. Excellent white, four-finger head with good staying power.

S - Tangy, almost like an orange

T - In a word: yummy. Almost like a caramel apple. Sweet, lingering aftertaste.

M - Somewhat alcoholic.

D - Very drinkable, despite ABV.

A reliable favorite.

02-08-2008 05:52:08 | More by melmoth100
tanzaniakate

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

Fruity, warm, full, tasty. More crisp and lively than a lot of high ABV Belgian-style ales. Goes down extremely easily, though, so watch yourself.

Pairs well with lighter meals, like white meats and grilled veggies.

An exceptional value in beer. At $6 for a 750-mL bottle, and less per oz for a four-pack of 12-oz, you won't do better. We can't buy it where we are right now (sigh), but we always buy out the store of this stuff when we go to the "big city."

11-28-2008 02:38:21 | More by tanzaniakate
WPRebelFan

Mississippi

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Deep gold & orange in color. A little white head appeared but didn't stay around long. A fair amount of lacing remains.

Smell: Tones of spice, citrus, and floral, quite appealing.

Taste: Flavors of apple, spice, and a bit of yeast, very pleasant.

Mouthfeel: A good feel with some carbonation and a nice crisp smack on the tongue.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, goes down quite nicely.

05-31-2009 22:06:12 | More by WPRebelFan
DraperyFalls

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

The color on this beer is fantastic, but I'm a little turned off by the humongous head on it. While you're waiting for that to settle, you can pretty much smell this beer from across the room, as the spicy and citrusy aroma is very strong. The taste is, as you would expect from the smell, spicy and citrusy, but also much stronger than you would first expect. The complex tastes add to the feel of this brew, yet it lost points on drinkability because of my tendency to take small sips and savor each one.

06-09-2009 12:22:43 | More by DraperyFalls
timonan

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - Honey & orange colored. Two-finger head, a fuzzy blanket of white foam, very small bubbles. Solid ring of lace.

S - Citrusy, much like orange juice - like a orange soaked in beer. Slight tinge of raisins, bit of breadiness.

T - Light and refreshing. Citrus again comes through strong. Alcohol finish comes through late and warm. Orange flavor lingers for a while. The flavors almost come through stronger in the finish.

M - Smooth and mellow. Carbonation is vibrant and still present to the end.

D - Very drinkable. Nice progression of bubbles, then flavor, then alcohol sweetness, then a wonderful finish.

07-10-2010 22:28:21 | More by timonan
coronajm

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

12oz foil-top bottle poured into my Chimay chalice.

A- Cloudy, honey color with a nice fluffy head that sticks just a bit down the glass.

S- Citrus and floral aroma with a lot of spiced clove. Pear is sticking out as well.

T- Just how it smells; floral, citrus and spiced clove on the front, with a sort of bitter yeastiness on the back. A bit breadier than anticipated from the smell. 9% extremely well masked. Delicious!

M- Medium, slightly dry body. Bubbly at first but kind of disappeared by the time i got to this time in the review. I must add, a bit of alcohol warmth is coming through now and really bringing out some subtleties.

D- Much easier to drink than the 9% led me to anticipate. Very impressed and will buy again.

11-18-2010 02:23:28 | More by coronajm
Arkofsax

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Beautiful golden orange coloring with a huge head (I prefer to pour a little extra head and then let my beers sit for a minute so that the temperature can balance while there's still some head left)

S- Smells like an odd balance between a spicy scent and the distinct maltiness of the style.

T- Incredible! The malts give it a very interesting flavor. I would almost describe it as being vaguely nutty compared to other takes on it.

m- If my taste buds were ever stressed, then this beer would be their masseuse. The malts provide a wonderful soothing effect as it's held in the mouth.

D- While delicious, finishing one of these with a meal would be the most I could ask anyone.

11-29-2010 08:24:52 | More by Arkofsax
Dmoore07

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

A- Honey color. 5mm head.

S- Very sweet and inviting. Yeasty.

T- Very well balanced. Initially quite sweet, giving way to refreshing hop spice. The 9% ABV does not hide, but is not overpowering.

M- Bubbly and clean feeling.

D- Very drinkable. Its complexity makes me want to figure this beer out. It might take a few!

03-04-2011 00:17:42 | More by Dmoore07
theJollySin

4.83/5  rDev +11.8%

A - I usually snub "appearance" as being an important factor in what makes a good beer. And perhaps it was after a few beers that I decided I loved the way this one looked, but I do. It has a wonderful dark, vibrant golden color.

S - The smell is great. It smells hoppier than it tastes, which is a bit off-putting, but generally strong with fruity undertones.

T - A wonderful combination of delicate and strong, complicated but not overly so. A hoppy yellow ale with strong notes of fruit and something I can't place. The end effect is particularly pleasing.

M - Good. Thinner than a stout, but thicker than a lager. Just a bit thicker than an October fest brew with a good amount of natural fiz.

O - Overall, great. This has been one of my favorite beers for years. While I don't think it is easy enough to be as popular to drink as Guiness, I think it has a perfectly balanced flavor, at least for my tastes.

06-28-2011 22:25:08 | More by theJollySin
brugge2004

4.43/5  rDev +2.5%

If you consider price and availability there isn't a better tripel. The spice note in the aroma and follows into the taste is something special, almost peppery in the aftertaste,i don't get alot of fruit in this one although there is definitely a sweetness back there somewhere, hard to go wrong with Unibroue and this is their best.

12-13-2011 20:37:21 | More by brugge2004
gradestarr

Oregon

4.75/5  rDev +10%

This stuff along with the rest of the Unibroue line is liquid gold, Texas tea, that "potent erl," whatever you may call it. However, La Fin Du Monde stands out as being a real perfection of the trippel style with that lip smackin long lastin delicious good taste of the CanadianBelgianFrench yeast strain.
Don't let the appearance fool you; this is a pale, clearish straw golden beer with large-ish bubbles (it seemed to me) that were bolder than the measley, weakling bubbles produced by Cristal, for example. However it is no Pabst!! You'll notice it stinks; spicy is a good start but the banana and fruit really clobber you after that. Once drinking is commenced the Fin du Monde tastes like a perfectly spiced Indian dessert- cardamom and clove flavors are present. The carbonation is just about spot on. For my first ever restaurant-beer and a blind choice by me with no prior knowledge of Unibroue or La Fin other than a love of the trippel style, I'd rate this a 6/5.

07-29-2012 03:04:55 | More by gradestarr
featthebeard79beerhead

2.25/5  rDev -47.9%

Pours cloudy golden. 2 finger head that dissipated quickly but left some lacing

Smells of fermenting fruit

Tastes of fermenting fruit and sweet (way to sweet )more of a cider taste than beer for me.But definatley more flavorful than macro brew. High abv is hidden well.Slightly tinney taste. But smooth going down.

Very carbonated but in a good way.

Mouth feel is smooth flavour dissipated quickly.

Overall OK. Would not purchase again as it is not my style. I am a hop head this brew was too sweet and reminded me of fallen fruit off a tree which is fermenting. Still more interesting than macro. And the abv kept me entertained

10-12-2012 00:12:21 | More by featthebeard79beerhead
45nDown

Arizona

2.35/5  rDev -45.6%

Rusty orange in color. Short lasting head with little or no lacing Okay this is my first Trippel rating. Not my favorite beer Lot's of clove flavor Recommended serving temp is 45-50 so even though I let it warm up a bit its not likely I let it was to warm. I don't have much experiance with this type of beer and its unlikely I'll be getting more any time soon. The brewer made a good clean beer...just not my speed.

06-23-2013 05:42:12 | More by 45nDown
SteelSaw

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Serving-Bottle

Pour- Poured into a Teki, semi aggressively. Pours a good two finger head.

Appearance- Cloudy with a deep golden/straw color, with tints of orange.

Smell- Spicy, minimal hops smell just on the back notes. Some dried banana smell. Perhaps the slightest hint of dried cherries?

Taste- Pretty much follows the nose, hints of dried banana and spice. It is sweet but the spice may be a touch too much for me. For a 9% it is incredibly smooth though and gives no hints of alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Very good mouthfeel. Medium and creamy. Carbonation is nicely balanced.

Overall- This is a good beer, but one I would need to be in the mood for due to the spice.

12-30-2013 03:50:39 | More by SteelSaw