La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Ratings: 9,169 | Reviews: 2,860
4.3/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours highly carbonated with a very thick, fluffy white head. The color is a clear golden yellow. The aroma is citrus with some peach or apricot. This is mixed with a "funny" smell that I am only qualified to describe with the words "Belgian" and "good". There was also a spicy element to the smell. Starts with strong apricot flavor mixing with citrus and banana. The flavor profile moves to spice and finishes dry with some alcohol sneaking in at the end. The mouthfeel is kept light with the moderate to high carbonation.

This beer is very drinkable and enjoyable, especially given the alcohol level. A great and well-crafted example of the style.

4.8/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip. Beer was enjoyed over the course of about an hour.

A: Beer pours a kind of peachy color with a very light colored two finger head that subsided in about 5 minutes. Some yeast crept into the glass which clouded the beer a little, but some good bubbling is still visible.

S: Aroma is most decidedly fruity and estery. I got a little banana and clove notes, as well as some biscuity malts. Smell is more in your face than other tripels.

T: Good grief these Canadians at Unibroue have done it right! A perfect mix of breadiness, esters from the yeast, and floral/herbal hops. There is some pepper-like spiciness and a noticeable but not overwhelming dose of alcohol.

M: Feels very bubbly in the mouth as the carbonation carries those wonderful flavors. It's a little creamy as well. Finish is very drying.

D: Should a tripel go down this easy? Easy to finish a 750 in a night. Dangerously drinkable. The 9.0% ABV does creep up on you, however.

O: In my honest and humble opinion, the best tripel in the world, even better than Westmalle. Simply a treat to drink, and a steal at $6 for a 750 or $10 for a four pack of 12 oz. bottles.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%

Pardon my first review and all, but....
A - Cloudy gold with a nice fuzzy white head and leaves only a little lace
S - Kind of apples, banana, citrus, and a little grass - nice
T - hints of apple and banana - sweet and smooth with little to no alcohol twang and light spice
M - smooth, light, and ever so slightly bubbly
D - Goes down easy and smooth and could keep going down easy and smooth all night

Blew my expectations out of the water. It reminded me of a wheat beer and didn't have any alcoholic edge to it. In a word "beautiful"

4.51/5  rDev +4.4%

What can I say? It's "the end of the world". I haven't seen a better example of a Belgian tripel anywhere outside of Belgium.

The appearance is the only thing I am not a fan of. Considering the amount of excitement that I get out of corking a bottle of this brew, pouring it into a glass leaves me a tad disappointed. The head is short lived with relatively huge bubbles, and the color frankly makes me think of urinalysis test jars.

However, that is where the problems end! I want to offer this beer to a blind person to see whether or not their other senses make it even better than it already is.

The smell is as close to perfection as I can imagine. No words appropriately describe this, but if I had to use nasal experiences as adjectives, I would choose stomped grapes, freshly cut grass with notes of that first rain of late summer.

The taste follows the same, but there is the slightest bit of astringency at the end. This is not necessarily a bad thing. It really is dependent on serving temperature. The last few sips out of my pilsner glass are warmer because of my hand, and that is where the tiniest bit of off-flavor jumps out. Still, with a 4.5 in that category, you can see that it is almost entirely negligible.

The mouthfeel isn't the greatest thing ever; because of the large bubbles it doesn't flow to the back of the tongue as well as a true Belgian, but the flavor itself masks this "problem" extremely well. A 4 is the worst score I could imagine giving it.

As for drinkability, it is just amazing that this is a 9% ABV brew. Very few strong beers mask their alcohol this well. The only one I can think of off-hand is Widmer's Braggot, which is a vastly inferior brew to this (although good in its own right). Obviously this isn't something I would be able (or afford) to sit down and drink all night, but I'll be damned if it doesn't disappear with startling celerity.

If I may say so, I believe Unibroue (and this beer in particular) is the greatest thing to come out of Quebec, with Georges St. Pierre being the second greatest. :)

EDIT: I guess I'm not the only one who thinks the color is "pissy", based on the review before mine. Ha! Still, not a big deal.

3.83/5  rDev -11.3%

From a 750mL to a wine glass

This beer poured a golden yellow with a lot of suspended sediment. This could have been the result of the hour or two I gave it to cool and settle out before tasting after I purchased it, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. 1/2" of foamy head which lingered to the end of the glass. Bubbles constantly like a glass of champagne.

Smells very wheaty. This is kind of suprising from a tripel. Can't detect alcohol in the aroma, well hidden for a 9.0%

Experienced a sharp bite of carbonation at first, which fades to a very wheaty body. Reminded me of Hoegaarden for some reason. I find this confusing for the style, though it was not altogether unpleasant. This mellowed to an almost candy-sweet aftertaste, which lingered to the next sip. Didn't get much hoppiness, maybe just a bit of bitter. A lot of wheat though.. Alcohol was again very well hidden for a beer of this strength.

Mouthfeel was soda-like and fizzy. Not too full, reminded me of a mouth full of sprite.

Overall, I'm not sure if I got a strange batch or what, but this beer was not what I was expecting. I'm a big fan of tripels, and La Fin kind of threw me for a loop. It wasn't bad really, just took me by suprise I suppose. I'll definitely be trying this again to see if I had a fluke experience or what.

4.55/5  rDev +5.3%

I have experienced this beer many times before. I realized, however, that I have yet to review it. This beer really is an experience. Deliciousness. Amazing. Pours a beautiful yellow-orange color with a nice head. Smells like greatness. I know that is not that great of an adjective in terms of beer but it is the truth. Smells great, tastes great. This is one of the finest tripels outside the trappist world. Highly recommended.

4.13/5  rDev -4.4%

La Fin du Monde, aka End of the world.

Full foamy head, a good two fingers.

Beer pours a summer yellow, slight cloudiness.

Sweet malty nose, with a hoppy complement.

First sip is sweet and definitely on the malty side. Not cheap malt liquor malty, but European ale malty, a bit lager-ish.

Wheat in the mash shines through. Gives my palate images of fall harvest on the farm. Med heavy mouth feel, but the carbonation balances that out.

9% abv, but there is not a sharp taste. Good after taste that keeps the wheat theme on the forefront.

Great comfort beer.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into a Stella chalice from an ice cold 4ºC bottle.

Great head topping a cloudy light golden brew. Nice floral fresh Belgian yeast smell....very inviting.

Taste is remarkably smooth for a 9% beer, very easy to drink.
no bitter aftertaste, just leaves you wanting more. Slight warming from the alcohol near the end, but no overpowering like some others. May be some banana flavor in there somewhere.

A very nice fine beer.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Pours a shimmery golden hue like glistening honey with a one-finger white head.

S - It smells of blossoming honeysuckle, freshly harvested wheat and a bit of lemon and clove.

T - I'm getting a lot of dried bananas and strawberries with a touch of blond honey and mild clove.

M - Thin with small bubbles similar to champagne but a bit more silky.

O - Alcoholic but smooth for 9% abv. Overall, a delicate but powerful tripel.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought a bottle, poured into a goblet glass

appearance: dirty blond, the appearance of blue moon comes to mind. Not much head, which dissipated quickly anyways

Smell: meh... average smell. smells citrousy, kinda sour. As it warmed up (20 minutes later), aroma finally came out.

Taste: this is actually where I like this beer a lot. Very complex flavor that is beyond my command of words (or my knowledge of beer). Citrousy, tart, light fruits, almost white wine to champagne like. The taste of yeast is very apparent. no maltiness or hops noted initially, but later becomes very apparent.

Mouthfeel: goes down easily, palatable. stickiness like a hefeweizen due to its yeast content. no strong alcoholic or metallic overtones noted.

Overall: very flavorful beverage, but i feel that it did not quite match my expectations (probably because I was unrealistically expected too much). I would try it again.

Nothing like it, have to give it max rating.

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pale golden and slightly cloudy with medium sized bubbles.
Aromas of dried fruit and trail mix, orange peels, candy corns, sourdough bread, lemon curd and almonds dominate.
Flavors of dried apricot, lemons and oranges; candy corns, lees, almonds and macadamia nuts and chardonnay. A really nice long finish, and amazingly light considering it tips the scales at 9% abv.
A really fantastic beer. I would drink this with just about anything, but grilled pork chops with apricot chutney feels like the perfect pairing here.
I am continually amazed, being of a wine background, at how much complexity today's craft beers are generating.
High marks for this great offering! Will definitely buy this again.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

Had it bottle in a Goblet. It pours a golden yellow, with a white head that dissipates slowly. It has a strong nose. I got a lot of floral hints and some coriander. It is a medium body with slightly high carbonation and also dry. On the taste I pick up some fruits such as apple and pear. I also get a little bit of spice. Overall this is a really good beer. Has an amazing aroma and tastes amazing. Overall this is one of my favorite beers now!

4.08/5  rDev -5.6%

Very good, Belgium style beer. Off white head with good lacing. Smell is clovey, and that same clove smell is found in the glass along with an orangey taste. Color reminds me of a light orange. Mouthfeel if spicy and effervescent. I'd drink this occasionally, but I don't think I'd could have more than one a month. Too many other beers out there.

4.68/5  rDev +8.3%

Another fine Unibroue offering. I cannot decide whether I prefer this or Don de Dieu, which is similar but with a somewhat wheat-y and slightly more citrus-y character. But this is good stuff. Cloudy amber glow, froths nicely during the pour with the head settling down to a 1/8 foam top after a couple of minutes. Complex, spicy notes to the nose that are well represented on the tongue. Slick mouthfeel with a bitter follow-through. One of my favorites.

4.71/5  rDev +9%

One of my favorite beers as you might tell by the grading.

The look of this beer is incredible. Glowing pale yellow color with swirls of tiny yeast clouds and a dense rocky white head. Great floral nose with a slight spicy character. The flavor is rich but light, and the alcohol isn't as punchy as you might expect for a beer with 9% alcohol.

This one also works great in cooking. I've made a vinagarette for a pear/goat cheese/walnut salad that MADE valentines day dinner this last year.

This is the best beer coming out of Canada.

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

This is a really good dark Belgian beer. Maybe the best I have tried that is not from a monastery. If you get a chance try this beer as soon as you can. Here is my opinion of taste - sweet initial taste goes down nice and smooth. You knew from the warm feeling that you have a "strong" beer, but you would not know it from the taste.

4.02/5  rDev -6.9%

12 ounce brown bottle with a foiled top.

A: Fluffy off-white to tan head. Seems to be showing lots of carbonation. Pale but dark golden in color. Looks lovely :-).

S: I'm hit instantly with spices and some estery notes. Pepper, light fruits, and loads of alcohol await.

T: Woah! Spicy, malty, mildly sweet and delicious. How is this NOT from Belgium!? This stuff is off the wall good for a Canadian brew. Some nutty character, light fruits, a bit of clove and a mild, almost chile-pepper like bite on the tongue. Do I taste pears, and maybe even a little golden raisin??

M: Creamy, thick, and wonderful. When it was poured it seemed to hint towards a more watery beer considering how bubbly it appeared... Not the case, at all. Mouth warming, bubbly, spicy and creamy as all get out.

D: As drinkable as a beer with this high of an alcohol content is ever going to get. This brew was oh so creamy and thick, yet not harsh on the palate at all. Goes down smooth. Don't expect to be able to drink more than 2, however, unless you're looking to spend the night sitting in the bath tub.

After 24 ounces I was feeling a bit wobbly. But let's face it, who can drink just one of these? It's just too good. For the price, this has got to be one of the best bargains on the face of the earth.
I have another 4 pack of this waiting for me in the fridge (I went back and got more after me and my buddy killed the first one).
If you like Tripels, you'll LOVE this beer, and you'll want to stock up like I did!!!

A: It pours an opaque light yellow-brown with a creamy two finger head that hangs around for a while before subsiding.

S: It smells of fruits and malts; there is no scent of the 9% abv.

T: This starts as malty, and then gets fruitier but the malts are still present throughout; there is a quite bitter aftertaste. It is also sweet, but it is not overdone to the point of sugarcane. Alcohol is present in the taste, but it is not overpowering everything like so many other high abv beers.

M: This has a lot of carbonation causing it to have a light body. It kind of feels like a pilsner, but it’s an ale, so it’s quite unique in that sense.

O: This is a fantastic beer, the only one so far that has truly lived up to its hype. It has a high abv, but you don’t really notice it until you stand up after drinking 750 mL of it.

4.78/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A- Cloudy golden gem. Thin white head with surface and rim lacing lasting for the entire session. Beautiful beer.

S- Excellent - floral, light malt, sweet banana and light mineral.

T- Balanced - Malt, well hidden alcohol, bready, banana, some yeast. beautiful finish.

M- Perfect for me. medium balance, medium carbonation, mouth watering finish, not overly dry. Comparable to an excellent Champaign.

O-I really like this beer. Unibroue has done and excellent job producing a this quality triple. Looking forward to visiting this Brewery in the future and trying more of their styles. Will pass on to my friends and buy a few more to age.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a hazy deep straw color. Smells sweet, earthy, yeasty, spicy, and aromatic. The flavors in this beer are so well balanced and the alcohol is so well hidden. Strong wheat flavors and sweet belgian candy sugars are cut by an overall fruity dryness in the beer. The carbonation is strong. I cannot express how easy and enjoyable this beer is to drink.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is one of my very favourite beers, and proof that you don't have to go to the belgians for an excellent belgian style beer. beautiful honey colour, floral aroma, balanced flavour with dry and sweet notes. eminently drinkable, almost dangerously so given the alcohol content. if you don't watch out if will be the end of the world. but not a bad way to go.

this beer is excellent with spicy food, but also just by itself.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

This is simply an excellent Tripel. Wow!

A beautiful nose filled with oranges, lemons and grapefruit. Deep golden brown with a nice, clingy head. A sweet full mouthfeel with just a hint of dryness on the edges of the tongue.

The flavor explosion on you tongue is only hinted about bt rhe nose. It's full of malt and fruitiness, well balanced, but certainly on the sweet side.

This is a high ABV beverage, but sbeaky. YOu'll have a few before you realize just how much you've been affected.

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

A- Opague deep gold color with a light foamy white head.

S- Smells fruity with a hint of yeast.

T- This beer is complex. Both the fruitness and yeast present them selfs in the begining with a surprising hop bittering at the end. The smell made me believe this beer would be sweeter but it finishes nice and dry. Overall this beer is really really good.

M- Alot of carbonation comes though massaging the tounge and a medium body.

D- This beer is a great end to a day but because of its strength I wouldnt drink too many at one sitting.

Everyone should try this beer at least once.

4.82/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours light amber from a 12 oz bottle. Head is big, bubbly, active, but fades quickly. Smell is delicious - lightly effervescent, spicy, bready, warm, maybe citrusy, definitely enjoyable. The taste is great, like, to the point that it makes some pretty phenomenal beers look pedestrian. It is as smooth as the finest stouts. Taste is clean at first, turning to a bubbly, spicy bread as it crosses the tongue, and finishing smooth. It clings heavily to the roof of the mouth and back of the tongue without ever even bordering on 'heavy'. The flavor stays with you long after the beer goes down, and it is appreciated by this lucky drinker.

This beer is absolutely world-class and I could either drink one every night or a series of them in one night. Thanks to the local beer store (Wine and Cheese in Clayton) for marking these down last week, or I would have waited even longer before trying it.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue