La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,861 | Hads: 9,476
4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

I've been drinking this beer for a while. I had to acquire the Belgian taste, but I'm hooked. I bought a sampler 12-pack of Unibroue (La Fin Du Monde, La Gaillarde, Blonde de Chambly, Blanche de Chambly) in Montreal for $16, can you believe that price. Amazing! Now for the review. Poured into a tulip from a 341mL bottle.
A: Golden yellow, 1 1/2 fingers of white 'pillow' head, great retention, lots of lacing, champagne bubbles, clear. The head of this beer makes it really stand out in appearance.
S: Spices, floral, light fruit (apple, pear), yeast and lots of it.
T: Spices, clove, slight apple, sweet honey, and yeast...lot of it
M: Crisp, dry finish, sticky, medium almost heavy body. The body is very nice once the beer warms a little bit.
O: Great beer, Unibroue does the best Belgian style beers outside of Belgium. It's amazing how they can distribute throughout Canada and parts of the US and Europe and still have this great taste. Will I buy this again? Absolutely.

4.7/5  rDev +9%

Poured into a tulip glass

Appearance- Poured smooth in a glass to reveal a cloudy, yet bright, orange colour. A mid sized, bubbly white head forms at the top and quickly dissipates within a minute or so, leaving no lacing.

Smell- Fresh citrus and fruit explode boldly into the nostrils. Very refreshing.

Taste- This beer really doesn't come off as complex but maintains a very steady and strong taste. A fruity/citrus flavor invades your tongue with hints of coriander with a slight hop undertone. The alcohol is very well masked but lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Highly carbonated but dissolves into the mouth very quickly and finishes smooth.

Overall- Unibroue is one of my favorite breweries as almost every Unibroue drink I have had has exceeded my expectations by miles. La Fin Du Monde is no different. This is one of m favorite beers by them and one of my favorite beers in general. It's an extremely well made Triple ale on lees. If you took Blue Moon and made it 10x better, you would have La Fin Du Monde. I also enjoy it with slices of grapefruit (that's right, not oranges). I drink this beer regularly and recommend it to all beer-curious folk. Just be careful that hidden 9% ABV doesn't sneak up on you!

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

A big medicinal and sour fruit nose

Taste also is much the same....Acid malt and spicy

Overall I was impressed with the the lack of alcohol in the taste for such a big beer. Not as complex to my palate

As far as style i have it scored pretty well. The white wine of beer

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

purchased at Magnolia's Wines and Liquors in Chatham, NJ.

what an amazing beer!

pours an unassuming cloudy golden hue. aroma of belgium candy sugar, spicy sweetness.

taste matches the aroma, complex flavor that masks the 9% abv well

The best example of a belgium tripel I've had. completely enjoyable experience to sit down with one of these.

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought a four pack of bottles for 9.99 at a local liquor store-wanted a beer with a kick. This beer has a great appearance with a dishwater/cloudy gold appearance and thick head after intial pour that dissipates slowly with medium bubbles. Strong citrus malt smell. Taste is not bad for alcohol content and flavors mimic the scents but a background bitterness that leaves a slight aftertaste (usually killed after having the second one. The mouth feel is near perfect and it is easily drinkable but be wary if all you wanted was a two beer buzz b/c it goes down easy and it's kick is hard. Will buy again.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

I agree with a previous poster that Unibroue needs some help with their packaging. I've seen these bottles on the rack in Wegman's for a while, but there just wasn't a vibe to pull me in. Then they went on sale. Holy Moly!

First off, the cork blows out of these babes like they were champagne. The pour is exceptional, beautiful foggy gold with a serious, off-white, cratered head (from those big, healthy bubbles) that hangs around quite a while. Thick lacing. As I have noted, childhood allergies completely screwed my sense of smell, but the fruitiness couldn't be missed. Maybe raspberries. I can't really say, but if I can smell it, it's there. The mouth feel is full, plenty of carbonation, though it sure doesn't get in the way. It seems like every taste bud is located and activated, lingering and lingering, kicking up the initial rush. Yeasty, but not in your face; some sweetness, but not at all cloying. It's a little peppery on the tongue, and closes with a nice warmth; pleasant, rather calm for a 9% ABV. Everything fits so nicely in this beer. If it were female, it would be powerful, sultry, and smooth. At the top of the pale ale pile. I'll be drinking this a bunch ...

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

hello: the end of the world. poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a nalgene at the fancy gap KOA in virginia. after an 815 mile drive and before a 587 miler.

appearance: cloudyish coppery goldeny goodness. if you took all the "fun" blondes are supposed to be having and melted it down into a liquid, it would look like this.

smell: it smells like a la fin du monde. this is good because usually when i smell la fin du monde, it means i'm about to drink la fin du monde.

taste: when i first tried it, i was trying to drink it like a natty ice. back then i bought it for its abv instead of writing an english paper. it was tough then, but now...its beautiful. peppery sorta, and spicy warmth from the alcohol backs up the pepper impression, but it balances impeccably with clove and malty sweetness.

mouthfeel: this one bites back. sip it and it warms your mouth and throat. blame the 9% for that. it is very bubbly too, though not so bubbly as it's belgian role model, duvel. this bubbliness i speak of adds to the bite.

overall: i love this beer. it emulates a duvel, at a relatively more modest price point and with an infinitely broader availability. its around enough to encourage you to drink it willy nilly, but it will catch up to you, i've met weaker wines than this strong boy. perfect when you want one before bed, or something to stand up to a steak. or even a cigar. njoy!

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

Hands down one of the best beers I've ever had. The only brew that I have had that comes close to this is Chimay White, which still doesn't stack up. The brew pours a beautiful cloudy orange color with a very large and stable white head. The smell is typical for this type of brew with a slightly strong alcohol smell coming through. The taste and mouthfeel are at the top of the charts for any beer let alone one with 9%. Its sweet, very malty, and has a slight hop presence at the end. Finally, the drinkability is just incredible for any brew let alone one with 9%. I would highly reccommend this to anyone who wants a delicious brew to sip on and enjoy; maybe even have two.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

I split a 750ml bottle with my wife. Poured carefully into large wine glasses, the beer produced a nice 3/4" head in both glasses. The color is a pale straw and the beer is a little hazy. The smell is mild. Smells a tiny bit sweet and malty, and its got that "Belgian" phenol thing going, but faintly. The taste is fantastic. Up front, there's lemon, pear and yeast, and it has a nice sour middle followed by a very clean finish. The alcohol is very well hidden. This tastes like a Belgian beer without the earthy funkiness, but it is working for me in a big way. Very fresh and very clean. I wanted more when the bottle was empty.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with an off-white head.

Smell: Clove, yeast, fruits

Taste: clove, spices, mild alcohol taste, sweetness, pears.

Mouthfeel: Creamy taste with light carbonation.

Drinkability: Very enjoyable beer. The best in it's category.

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

A pungent, interesting and complex beer, but I'm not sure all the flavours match. I spent half an hour trying to pinpoint that delightful, mysterious peppery slightly sweet/slightly floral aroma from memory, then remembered my mom's Biryani recipe ... which uses lots of ... CARDAMOM spice! The aroma translates to the taste too ... definitely CARDAMOMmy. Sadly, a pine-needle, junipery-aroma overpowers the delicate cardamom.

Taste is predominantly citrus, but there's an overpowered peach too ... again, sadly. GOOD but not that drinkable really --rather a very sharp, strong, spicy beer that you have to be in the mood for. In an excellent value 750ml bottle, best for sharing. Personally I don't care for the slight meaty/gym-sock pungency and the sour aftertaste. But at 9%, this beer is worth consideration.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

Served in a tulip glass from 750ml bottle.

Appearance - a nice cloudy, golden yellow hue with a very creamy looking and dense head, almost blanket like with some very dense bubbles.

Smell - the heavy yeast really came across first for me. After the yeast I got a nice fruitiness. Something almost like a spicy apricot.

Taste - this is a really fantastic beer as many have previously stated. For me, it comes ti down to the heavy yeast flavor that makes for a nice complement to the malt which comes a little later. The crisp fruitiness also makes for a very well balanced beer that is just a joy to sit nd relax with.

Mouthfeel- the first word that comes to mind is the texture f the beer. The creamy, dense head makes for a lucious texture that combines with a refreshingly light feeling body.

Overall - this is just a phenomenal beer that really gives a delicious yeasty and fruity flavor, but yet has some complexities that I will have to try it many more times to decipher it all. An amazing beer, a pleasure to drink.

Slightly orangish with a medium level of carbonation and medium sized head.

Smells slightly sweet and slightly flowery. At 9% abv the alcohol smell is hidden by the richness of the floral sweetness.

As the smell dictated the alcohol is hidden well and the floral sweetness is the best way to describe the taste. Very soft on the pallet and yet complex.

Extremely light, would like to see a little more texture and density, but maybe that is part of why it tastes so good and brings out the floral tastes so much.

Solid 4 out of 5. Not necessarily an every day beer, but really good beer. Would recommend this beer with some desert after supper.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

A - nice colour

S - banana, yeasty with a hint of sweetness

T - clean crisp with no aftertaste.

M - no bite, drinks nice

Overall, a nice fruity drinkable beer. It goes nicely with spice wings and grilled seafood. Also, if you reduce it over low heat in a sauce pan, it mixes well with mix berries.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yellow-orange pour, slightly hazy, with a thin dissipating white head. Fruity aroma, with mandarin orange, peach, and Belgian yeast. Flavour is sweet and almost syrupy, with a slightly bitter edge, reminiscent of orange marmalade or peach syrup. Bready notes and lots of Belgian yeast in the flavour too, classic Unibroue taste. A bit of caramel and apple as it warms. Dry, sweet, bready finish. A great Tripel.

3.99/5  rDev -7.4%

A beautiful beer, and a surprise at that. Drank it cold (perhaps a little too cold) at Lumiere in Vancouver from a red-wine glass.

Head was a little on the thin side, but it smelled wonderful: nutty and complex. Color was hard to gauge (it was a candle-lit type restaurant), but pleasantly "burnt amber."

Flavor was on par with many Belgian tripels (it brought to mind Grimbergen). First taste was excellent, and the flavor remains throughought. Easy to drink with very little alcohol taste, and it was consistent from the first sip to the last.

I am on a hunt for this beer in my hometown. Not to be missed, and cheaper than a true Belgian, for everyday drinking.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

"I can't believe it's not Belgian"... that was my first thought upon tasting this gem from Quebec for the first time. Wow, what a beer. Beautiful pouring brew, with rich golden translucent color and massive, thick, Duvel-style head. Smell also first-rate: various spices and fruits accompany a malty base. Taste is just about perfect. I don't feel that I've tried enough beers yet to be able to give one a 5, but this is the closest I've come. Lots of banana flavor - almost sweet, but not sickly sweet...I don't generally care much for sweet beer, but this one just works somehow. Very rich, creamy mouthfeel. Overall, an absolutely outstanding beer. Compared to a couple of the "real" Belgians I have tried, I would rank it slightly higher than La Chouffe and slightly below Duvel.

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

My first trippel and purchased due to rave reviews from friends. Initial pour had lots of white head, yellow-irange in color. Aroma of citrus at first, but with another smell I was able to pick out some bananas. Active palate, with plenty of carbonation. Had a yeasty, citrusy taste. Finish was bitter and alcoholic. At first I wasn’t that big a fan, but as I sipped more, I enjoyed it and detected some peppery taste. I guess I'm not much of a coriander guy. I particularly enjoyed the last of the 750 ml bottle. A good beer and I’m glad I tried it.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy tea-orange. Very minimal head that quickly goes away.

S: Lots of sweet aromas here...bananas, pineapple, some citrus. The alcohol is noticeable, but not overwhelming.

T: Classic for the style - an initial spicy-sweet taste gives way to a slight bite of hops in the finish. The 9% alcohol is well masked. Delicious.

M: Nearly perfect..well carbonated...neither too watery, nor too heavy.

D: Insanely good...this is a beer that you could easily drink too much of, and then suddenly find yourself down for the count. If it were possible to drink this one all night, I would.

One of my all time favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a wine glass

Pours a hazy golden, almost orange, color. Has a creamy white head with little lacing.

The aroma is smells a bit like bannanas, strawberries, and bread. You can smell the alcohol just slightly.

The mouthfeel is extremely light and higly carbonated. The alcohol level is definitely a factor here adding to a very bitey feel.

Initial taste is just slightly sweet which quickly changes to a sour taste that hits the back and sides of the tongue. The sour, acidic flavors from the yeast are the dominant flavors here.

Drinkability is good. A little too sour for my taste.

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

A quality beer for sure. I had read the hype and since i'm all about Tripels now, I had to try it. Allagash's Tripel is my new favorite beer, but I wanted to see how this one stacks up. I wasn't disapointed...much. The beer looked terrific, a solid golden haze with a nice tall head and tons of lacing. Promising! Well, that faded as I smelled the beer and I must say, I couldn't stand they way this one smelled. Something was strange. It was a spicy Tripel smell, but a bit too unpleasant for me. Maybe too strong? I dunno what the problem was. The taste was outstanding, second only to Allagash's. A bit more apple in the taste in this one. I really enjoyed it and it was super drinkable. With the exception of the smell, this beer was about perfect. But because I didn't care for the smell, I gotta put his one as the 2nd best Tripel out there. Highly recommended.

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into tulip glass

Appearance - Bright yellow/orange, a bit hazy and with large thick white head. Lots of nice lacing.

Smell - Lots of citrus, some apples, bananas and spice.

Taste - Lots of sweetness, quite citrusy, with orange and lemon coming through quite strongly. "Belgian" yeast is quite present as well. The aftermouth is again quite sweet.

Mouthfeel - Quite creamy with strong carbonation.

Overall - Not a bad triple, but overall much too sweet for my taste. I don't think I could have two in a row.

4.09/5  rDev -5.1%

341ml bottle into 32oz mug

a: dark yellow, 1/2 inch head from side pour. Lots of carbonation bubbles throughout drinking

s: very yeasty, some banna, "spices"

t: fruity (bananas mostly) , yeasty, warm alcohol, some malty sweetness. The yeast and alcohol become more noticeable as the beer warms

m: well carbonated, light to medium bodied. Seems to feel thicker as it warms

o: Although a little yeastier than I personally prefer, but was my first Tripel foray and I was impressed. This took me around 1 hour to finish one bottle, and should be respected by drinking slowly. This is definately not my style of beer, but I respect the complexity of this brew enough to weed through my own personal bias and rate it on my interpretation of the style.

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

Was ready for something new and different and well, I found it. Crazy awesome beer from the north. Very complex beer so you can pick up different things with different aged bottles meaning a bottle that is two weeks old will taste very different from a 4 month old bottle and I believe I have had both and both to my surprise were good! If you want to introduce a friend to something different then let them try this heavily yeast driven beverage and see what they have to say. Most will really enjoy it!

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wonderfully fresh and easy to drink

Look - fantastic white head that sticks around, golden and rich cloudy color

Smell - Flowery, citrus, grapefruity, very refreshing

Taste - reminds me of a pinot grigio, grapefruity, crisp flavor that goes down well

Feel - An unpretentious bite from the carbonation gives way to a smooth cool aftertaste.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue