La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,846 | Hads: 9,376
4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Served "refrigerator cold".

Appearance is indistinguishable from rays of sunlight marking the end of a hurricane.

Has a flowery character. Very hoppy, but not in an overpowering sense. This is likely due to the high ABV.

Likely my favorite beer.

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 750ml into a Spiegelau Snifter.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a nice, full white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Fruity! I smell lemons, apples and other citrusy smells. Traces of some spices and malts.

T: Absolutely delicious! One of the best beers I've had the pleasure of having. Fruity notes all the way down rounded up by the yeast. Complex.

M: Very clean and crisp with the perfect carbonation to compliment. You will wan't to drink it fast and keep drinking it! Don't forget to enjoy it though!

D: See mouthfeel. What can I say? This beer is perfect.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance - Pale yellow and a little cloudy. Small off-white head. A nice hiss of carbonation when I opened the bottle.

Smell - Different. I'm not too familiar with the Belgian style beers; I've had a few, but not enough to really know what they are all about. The smell is sort of fruity, malty, and yeasty but also has a sort of spicy funk to it. A little hint of phenolic medicinal smell.

Taste - The taste really matches the smell of this one. Sort of a fruity and malty taste with a heavy taste of yeast and peppery spicyness. Slight alcohol burn from the 9% ABV. It has a nice hop balance that is just shy of balancing the malt but lets the other flavors come through.

Mouthfeel - It has a good heavy body that hangs around in your mouth. It has a little bit of a tongue numbing effect after you've had a few healthy swallows.

Drinkability - Very nice. Definitely a sipper and not a gulper. When doing one of these tastings for BeerAdvocate, I tend to take very frequent sniffs and sips while I am writing. This one has already gone to my head before I can even finish typing the review and I still have half of the glass left.

I remember buying one of these once when I was traveling on business, before I started home brewing and really getting to know craft beers. I didn't remember much about it's flavor other than that I thought it was very strange and not something I'd want to drink much of. Now I can appreciate a lot more of the style and unique flavors these Belgians have.

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

A: Pours straw yellow, cloudy, with very little head that quickly dissipates. Very pretty beer that comes in a very fancy bottle.

S: A sort of wheaty/fruity smell, pleasant at first, but quickly becomes somewhat unpleasant. A hint of something fermented.

T: Fermented Wheat. Sweet finish. Definitely an acquired taste, my first bottle was about as enjoyable as chewing broken glass. Tried again a week later, not unpleasant, but not something I enjoyed. Tried it again today, was rather enjoyable. This beer seriously benefits from multiple tastings.

M: Very thin, and watery at first, but becomes almost jelly-like when it warms up in your mouth. One of the oddest feelings I've ever had with a beer.

D: This was my first and last six pack of La Fin du Monde, although I eventually came to appreciate its flavour, I just couldn't get into this beer. If you enjoy beers like Blanche de Chambly or Hacker-Pschorr, I think you would find this beer rather agreeable, but if you enjoy darker brews with smoother tastes I'd keep clear.

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Opaque light golden color. White bubbly head, dissipated pretty quick but with light lacing. Poured into a goblet.

S - Yeast is prominent, and I can make out some tropical fruit like banana.

T - Taste is nice. Kind of hard to nail down. Unique yeasts, that are up front, Belgian style ale. The sweetness comes right after the yeast, tropical fruit like banana. Pretty well balanced. I can't really describe it but it is good. Sweetness is subtle..the finish is not overly sweet. I find it getting better and better. Alcohol is masked very well, it is not dry.

M - Not thin, bubbly. Good carbonation but not overly so. Very nice feel.

Poured into my Unibroue glass.

This brew pours an inviting hazy dark golden hue with visible flakes of yeast floating around. Produces a large creamy white head which sticks around til the end. The lacing left some peculiar designs in my glass. Beautiful!

Smells of mixed yeasts and some sweet malts in the background. The smell makes you rather thirsty...

WOW this tastes fantastic. A symphony of cloves, bananas, earthy grain, a hint of spice, and sweet creamy malts and the slightest hoppiness on the aftertaste. Reminds me a lot of a hefeweizen. For a 9% beer, the alcohol is hidden impressively. Extremely refreshing.

Carbonation is perfect. The alcohol is completely hidden yet it still warms your mouth. It's soft, thick, creamy, everything a beer should be.

Brilliant. I am definitely coming back for more of this.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This will be my first review here, so I hope I don't screw it up.
I have seen this beer on the shelf at my local grocery store for sometime now. Judging by the strange name and label, I dismissed it in the past. It had a price of $7.50 for the 750ml bottle. I was in the mood for something different with a high ABV(had a bad day). I held it up to the light and to my surprise I saw a nice cloudy haze with a decent amount of sediment on the bottom. Poured it into my trusty DFH pint glass. The color was a bright orange-yellow with a one finger head. It aroma was glorious, with citrus, clove, and the obvious high ABV. The first sip was a revelation. I am a BIG hefeweisen fan, and this tripple was a close cousin. The high ABV was overshadowed by the fruit and yeast notes. This might be my new favorite brew, and that is saying alot. It turned my bad day around 180 degrees. Prost!

Really is a thing of beauty. After the first sip i knew this deserved the praise it receives. Unbelievable taste for such a well balanced, good tasting experience. Very fruity and delicious. Hard to believe its nine percent and really hits you all the sudden haha. I understand they sold out to bigger company but high quality is still present.

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured one from a 750ML Corked Bottle that I have held onto for close to a year. Used a tulip shaped glass.
Pretty nice head with good carbonation. Nice aroma with hints of bannana. Now for the first taste of the night. I find this to have a nice fruity character with a slight warming aftertaste. I really am surprised by the 9% ABV. This beer hides it 's strength well. Very pleasant mouthfeel for this brew. Overall this is an excellent beer that I highly recommend.

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Pours a deep golden yellow, with a smaller fizzy white head. Small bubbles continuously run up the side of my glass giving the beer a nice ring of lacing. The aroma is a wonderfully sweet malty smell, some citrus and many floral accents. The taste is a very sweet, malty flavour, much like the nose, great belgian taste, can taste the alcohol, but it is hidden pretty well under the taste. Mouthfeel is smooth and clean, but very carbonated. My mouth is tingling from the effervescence and alcohol. This beer is wonderful and i feel i could drink this forever

4.18/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

By some fluke, I came across a case (six four-packs) of LA FIN DU MONDE for $30 in Boone, NC. Being a huge fan of the UNIBROUE brewery, I couldn't pass up this opportunity for a beer I've never tasted from a brewery I love. I'm a bigger fan of the DON DE DIEU, but this beer did not fail to deliver.

A- Negligible, sad to say. It poured horribly from bottle to pub glass which lend credence to the reviews I've seen in the past about the carbonation. This is not a pleasant beer to look at straight out of the bottle. I'm still watching my second glass settle. The lace looks like a vanilla milkshake. Not a show-beer.

S- I can't stop sniffing this beer with every sip. Coriander that tangerine? From front to back, this beer smells even better as it warms and the fruit has made its way to the front.

T- Now I understand why fellow reviewers can't believe this is a 9.0% brew. I could easily finish a 4-pack before my liver reminds me that was a bad idea. The damned thing sips (doesn't taste, mind you) like a Hefe. I keep going back expecting a bite and it never happens. This is the subtlety of the variety of spices that have gone into brewing this piece of work. I'm usually a heavy smoker, and even heavier when drinking, but I don't even want a cigarette during this beer for fear of ruining the light and almost spicy taste of this remarkable tripel.

M- Nothing negative to say. No chop, no wince, a thoroughly enjoyable drink from neck to coaster. The fruit lingers not on the tongue, but in the entire mouth. What a joy!

O- My largest complaint is the pour. I've spent enough time in front of and behind the bar, I still can't find a way to pour this beer correctly. I'm sure out of a tap it's easier, but even on my third glass, refrigerated at a moderate 42 degrees, a 3-inch head settled into an inch and didn't disappear. Aesthetics aside, a top-notch beer for a great price. UNIBROUE never fails to deliver!

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

750 ml corked bottle -> tulip glass

Pours a beautiful paler-golden color in the glass and is exceptionally cloudy. It glows in the glass. Tons of beautiful creamy white head with only a modest amount of lacing on the glass. It's very fragrant and smells sweet with some fruitiness (peach? apricot?) and spice in the scent. Drinking it makes you feel warm. You get a lot of the spices (cloves?) along with a deliciously sweet maltiness. The fruit still plays a big part in the taste, and the warmth comes from the alcohol content which is definitely more present as you swallow the beer. The beer is super creamy in your mouth. I really enjoyed this beer experience.

4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

I had first tried La Fin Du Monde some months ago with a lovely pasta dinner and was thoroughly impressed. The following is an official review. Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a snifter (really need to acquire a proper tulip glass...)

Appearance: A beautiful light amber hue that gradates slightly at the edges (can't really see through it in the middle of the glass). Leaves a sizable just-off-white head and appears wonderfully effervescent. The head isn't terribly thick or pillowy, and doesn't stick around for all that long, but can easily be rejuvenated with a gentle swirling of the glass. The bubbles will just not go away, either. Here's a funny/interesting observation: this beer SOUNDS appealing, by which I mean the process of pouring and of swirling the beer produces a crackling sound similar to that of Rice Krispies when doused with milk.

Smell: Banana notes and a peppery spiciness, which have been mentioned by other reviewers, are certainly there, too. After tasting, it becomes clear that not all the complexities of the beer are present in the aroma.

Taste: Yeasty, biscuity, and sweet. Hop bitterness and malt character are subdued.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant carbonation mixed with sweet smoothness give this brew a high rating.

Drinkability: Could not be higher, really. This is a strong beer but does not taste that way. Still, this is not for chugging.

Notes: My first tripel was Victory's Golden Monkey, which I won't ever be buying again. This is because the combination of Unibroue's availability, price, and sheer quality (a reflection of exceptional craftsmanship) cannot be overstated, and are simply unbeatable. Though I know there are probably superior Belgian Tripels out there, I also know I won't be able to help measuring other examples against this outstanding specimen.

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Golden rich hue, good head (near two finger), some lacing through the drink.

S - that great level of complexity is reached with this one...what you would expect from a Trippel yet more pronounced than average, some fruit, white wine type notes, pleasant alcohol type notes, yet also strong profile with a much welcomed and tempered Belgium bitterness.

T - great, thick, full flavored taste...accentuates all that was mentioned concerning the aroma.

M - rich smooth and thick yet still very bubbly, near perfect for carrying the complexity...not to light/swift as to miss anything, nor to syrupy/slow to have any one flavor component linger in a lack of balance.

D - Impressive. The actual, true champagne of beers, at least craft beers. High ABV suggests to enjoy slowly. But it's so good that's actually a little tough to do.

One of the rare ones for me which rivals any food pairing at all.
Can be enjoyed strait up alone...or with anything you wish to cut with the dryness of a Tripel. To be savored, sipped. Highly recommended if you want to see what a great Tripel is all about.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a hazy light colour into a pint glass. Lots of yeasty esters from the top, but nothing too distinct. Notes of sweet apple and traditional Unibroue mangoish scents.

Wonderful in the mouth with big citrus and fruity notes from the suspended yeast. It was very nice on a hot summer day and could be dangerously drinkable if I had more than the two I did at nine percent.

A fantastic effort and my favorite from the Unibroue stable.

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Massive head and you can see tendrils of carbonation when held up to the light

S: CLOVE, sweet banana, and slight alcohol

T: Fruity and spicy, followed by significant alcohol burn which seems to fit with the taste and exits through the nose (not unpleasant)

M: Very effervescent and hard to 'grip'; I feel that this interferes with proper tasting

D: I could drink these all night

The bottle and style are appealing.

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

A 12-ish oz. pour from a 750 ml bottle to chilled glass. Not a tulip glass as suggested by the bottler.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy with many bubbles that slowly rise to the head. The head itself was about 2" in height and is now approx. 1/8" in height after resting for a couple minutes.

Smell: Had to close my eyes and get very close to find a smell (so close I got the tip of my nose in the beer). The best description I have at the moment is a subtle, bright yeasty smell. I've never smelled any beer quite like it to date.

Taste: I can taste the yeast more so than I can smell it. Bright. Distinctive acidic, citrus, almost lemon taste to it without the sourness of a lemon. Part of me wants to say lemongrass but I'm not 100% sure that applies. Overall, a memorable first taste that is vaguely reminiscent of Boulevard Wheat that quickly changes to something else entirely (still figuring that out). Bubbly at first and with a quick springy, flowery finish. Was looking for a longer finish or stronger opening with this beer.

Mouthfeel: It hits the sides of my tongue towards the back of my mouth. Drinking this makes my mouth want to leap a bit after each sip.

Overall: A great sipping beer. High ABV that hides a bit behind the yeast and bubbles upon pouring. It's still easy to notice its high ABV however. Not out of the park on taste; i was hoping for a more bold flavor that would be worthy of the label "The End of the World". It would be ideal for serving at a small gathering where conversation is intelligent, or (as many have done so far) toasting beer at End of the World celebrations.

This is my first review of a beer. I am supremely overjoyed that, having survived the new year, I can go on to review other beers.

Purchased 4-750 mL bottles at $6.99 about a week before Christmas 2012.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from large bottle to regular glass (yes I ignored the tulip recommendtion but only becuase i don't have one!).

A: Cloudy and golden with bubbles rising happily to the surface. Lovely head slightly thinner than my finger shrinking but lingering for quite awhile.

S: Not quite sure how to describe this, its somewhat unique. Slightly yeasty I guess? All I know is that is seems to be come with all of the Unibroue products I have tried. Strange but I've come to appriciate it.

T: Sweet but not heavily like a porter or stout. Most of the flavors I notice come after I swallow. Kinda smooth and nutty fading into a lingering grape juice like sweetness that I really enjoy. You will also get the distinct Unbroue taste that comes withall their stuff. If impatient enough to sip while the head is still there you may find it very smooth and creamy.

M: Nothing too special about it. Its thin and bubble. Nothing wrong with it either though. If it was summer I might be more excited about it.

O: A nicely sweet and fruity brew with a decent drinkabilty. My only problem is that the taste of the 9% alc. does slip through now and again but the after taste makes up for it in my opinion.

Random notes on this beer: This is my second time having it. This is the brew that introduced me to the glorious world of Unibroue. Its not my favortie from them but more than worth having. I'm having it now because when I started drink it it was 12/21/12 and I made a pleadge to have it at midnight as the name itself apparentlly means The end of the world. Ultimately I used that as an excuse to have this agian.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

So, there seems to be a love hate kind of thing with this beer, so I will be as frank as I can. The past reviews seem to be between 3 and 5. I give it a 4.25. This brew was on sale at kroger at 7.99, so I got one to drink and one to age. The one I drank opened with apricot and yeast. The fruitiness covers the 9 abv, but can still taste the booziness. This is one to age, in my opinion. For the here and now, it just doesn't seem ready to drink right off the shelf. not ready yet. Just tastes like a young barleywine, sorta. Of course, I will finish this bottle, but I look forward to tasting the one that I will age for at least one year.

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

Man, this stuff is good. What can I say? My roommate, who doesn't like beer, had a sip of this, and said it might have changed his whole opinion of drinking beer more often. This is after my forcing him to sample many types of premium mircros from Saisons to Irish Stouts. I don't know what is a better compliment than that.

Apperence - Golden yellow

Smell - nice grainy smell. I'm not as good as a lot of you at describing smell. It just smelled grainy and fresh.

Taste - Reminded me a lot of most Belgian whites at first. Spicy, complex, but light at the same time. In fact if you had not told me it was brewed in Quebec, I would have swore it was Belgian. It really is amazing how well Unibroue does at making Belgian style beers. It reminded me a lot of Hoegaarden with the contrast and color turned up so to speak. It is just deeper, more full, and more round.

Mouthfeel - a smidge on the bubbly side. Nothing particularly bad here, but the carbonation can overwhelm if drank too quickly.

Drinkability - Great! Goes down easy. I have pretty well destroyed a 750 ml in the last 45 minutes, so watch out. It is easy to drink quick but a shame to not enjoy.

3.32/5  rDev -23%

I picked up this beer not knowing what to expect. It pored light, slightly pale and translucent, with a soft head. Smells slightly of yeast, very fruity...apricots, lemons, citrus, some other underlying tones. Flavor is very fruity and light, with a slight bite. It feels light and carbonated in your mouth, but leaves a slighty dry and lingering aftertaste of the fruits and yeasts.

Normally, i do not like these kinds of beers. It is very drinkable but is also very light, and too fruity for my tastes.

However, it was able to retain my attention and i did enjoy it. The 9% alcohol/volumne also helps alot ;)

A good beer, but I am not sure i would try it again. Fruity beers just dont do it for me, but its the best one i have had so far.

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

Careful pour into a chalice shaped goblet from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance is a slightly hazy yellowish-gold color. Thin white-colored head with fine bubbles. No head retention and little to no lacing.

Smell/Aroma/Nose is champagne-yeast-like and slightly reminiscent of crisp apple.

Taste is complex. Opening with apple and clove with a sweet note, then a hefeweizen-like taste minus the esters. Very long finish ends on a dry note, enticing you to take another sip. This is a triple, but you do not notice the alchohol. You could get in trouble drinking this beer.

Mouthfeel is light and thin, champagne-like, with fine carbonation.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, and will buy again.

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Golden yellow with a thick foamy head.

Smell I get ripe sugary fruits and peppery phenols.

Honey dew and green grapes, slight carbonic bite and white pepper phenols with some medicinal and clove flavors. I get a very soft caramel graininess that lingers on after everything else.

The carbonation is high enough to lend a bite that really keeps the palate clean between sips.

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

I was referred to this beer by a good friend who said it was right up my alley, which is most deffinately was. La Fin Du Monde deffinately has aromas and flavors I haven't tasted in most beers. I'm not the most educated beer advocate although this beer is a must try as well as other Unibroue beers.

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

First off i dont review many brews but have had some of the top 100 list easily but really feel this brew deserves a review.

A: Poured into a Stone tulip (im getting a bunch of Belgian chalices tomorrow finally from a guy here in AZ that is in the AZ Trappiste club that is here in AZ, they only drink Belgian style brews and im fortunate enough to become a new member). Nice head 1.5 inches kinda dissipates but not too fast.

S: Im not great at smell but you can definitly smell the sweetness of this brew.

Mouthfeel: "Well it feels great IMHO"!!! PERIOD!

Drinkability: One word "INSANE" in a fantastic way. It 9% abv and cant even taste the alc. at all could seriously drink these all day but the abv would for sure catch up to me.

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue