La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,818 | Hads: 9,223
4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

Careful pour into a chalice shaped goblet from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance is a slightly hazy yellowish-gold color. Thin white-colored head with fine bubbles. No head retention and little to no lacing.

Smell/Aroma/Nose is champagne-yeast-like and slightly reminiscent of crisp apple.

Taste is complex. Opening with apple and clove with a sweet note, then a hefeweizen-like taste minus the esters. Very long finish ends on a dry note, enticing you to take another sip. This is a triple, but you do not notice the alchohol. You could get in trouble drinking this beer.

Mouthfeel is light and thin, champagne-like, with fine carbonation.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, and will buy again. (692 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Golden yellow with a thick foamy head.

Smell I get ripe sugary fruits and peppery phenols.

Honey dew and green grapes, slight carbonic bite and white pepper phenols with some medicinal and clove flavors. I get a very soft caramel graininess that lingers on after everything else.

The carbonation is high enough to lend a bite that really keeps the palate clean between sips. (377 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

I was referred to this beer by a good friend who said it was right up my alley, which is most deffinately was. La Fin Du Monde deffinately has aromas and flavors I haven't tasted in most beers. I'm not the most educated beer advocate although this beer is a must try as well as other Unibroue beers. (299 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

First off i dont review many brews but have had some of the top 100 list easily but really feel this brew deserves a review.

A: Poured into a Stone tulip (im getting a bunch of Belgian chalices tomorrow finally from a guy here in AZ that is in the AZ Trappiste club that is here in AZ, they only drink Belgian style brews and im fortunate enough to become a new member). Nice head 1.5 inches kinda dissipates but not too fast.

S: Im not great at smell but you can definitly smell the sweetness of this brew.

Mouthfeel: "Well it feels great IMHO"!!! PERIOD!

Drinkability: One word "INSANE" in a fantastic way. It 9% abv and cant even taste the alc. at all could seriously drink these all day but the abv would for sure catch up to me. (738 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

By far the best value I have found in a tripel, around $7.00 for 750ml. This beer has huge flavor, which is good if you like the style. Carbonation is up there and poured a rocky head. Of the beers in this stlye that I have tried it is second only to Chimay's tripel. (267 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Quite possibly my new favorite beer. Definitely the best tripel i've ever had. Amazing!

A: Light, golden haze.
T: Very sweet, but in a good way, and balanced with clove spiciness. The high alcohol content adds some nice warming.
D: It would be quite easy to finish off a glass (or more) very quickly, but the high alcohol content will put you down fast. (354 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

This...beer...alas, a Belgian tripel...is so delicious. I could waste your precious time with the pedantic musings of others as to its clovey-sweet, perfectly-balanced super excellence. But there is no time for hyperbole. Time to drink, voyageurs! Time to quaff this mysterious bitch-goddess from La Belle Province! Bow to its wondrous, inexplicable enchantments! Drink it...like you know you like it! (401 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - Honey & orange colored. Two-finger head, a fuzzy blanket of white foam, very small bubbles. Solid ring of lace.

S - Citrusy, much like orange juice - like a orange soaked in beer. Slight tinge of raisins, bit of breadiness.

T - Light and refreshing. Citrus again comes through strong. Alcohol finish comes through late and warm. Orange flavor lingers for a while. The flavors almost come through stronger in the finish.

M - Smooth and mellow. Carbonation is vibrant and still present to the end.

D - Very drinkable. Nice progression of bubbles, then flavor, then alcohol sweetness, then a wonderful finish. (655 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A: 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind some nice lacing.

S: yeasty, citrus, bananas

T: yeast, sweet, oranges, lemon zest, banana

M: crisp with medium carbonation

D: overall very drinkable. The ABV is well hidden and very refreshing. (257 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not fundamentally opposed to Tripel's, but they're not really my first choice in beer style. However, this one is just delightful :) The color is pretty beautiful, pouring as a opaque golden color. The head was a bit foamier at first (as with all Belgians) , but it soon settled into a nice, thin, creamy blanket resting on top. At 9% the alcohol content is relatively high, but the sweet honey flavors, malts, and yeasts balance each other very well, effectively masking any overwhelming taste of alcohol. Carbonation wasn't overbearing (my usual complaint with Belgian beers). Probably the best Tripel I've ever had. Definitely worth a try, even if you're not a fan of Belgian style beer (which I'm not!). (747 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Hazy golden color. Two finger head; thick, creamy. Dissipates quickly, yet nobly, leaving a nice lacing. Tiny bubbles noticeable, giving the beer a playful character.

S: A wonderful balance between sweet and spicy. Notes of apple, citrus, some malt, and pepper.

T: Sweet on the front of the tongue, initially citrus-y; the 9% ABV makes itself apparent with a (inoffensive) metallic twang. Matures into notes of cherry and phenolic cloves and pepper. Leaves a warm feeling and a bitter, dry aftertaste.

M: Smooth and soft on the front, with a satisfactory weight. Carbonation tingles the back of the throat.

O: Wonderful. My first tasting of La Fin du Monde (as well as my first review). I think I've found a new favorite. (729 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

This stuff along with the rest of the Unibroue line is liquid gold, Texas tea, that "potent erl," whatever you may call it. However, La Fin Du Monde stands out as being a real perfection of the trippel style with that lip smackin long lastin delicious good taste of the CanadianBelgianFrench yeast strain.
Don't let the appearance fool you; this is a pale, clearish straw golden beer with large-ish bubbles (it seemed to me) that were bolder than the measley, weakling bubbles produced by Cristal, for example. However it is no Pabst!! You'll notice it stinks; spicy is a good start but the banana and fruit really clobber you after that. Once drinking is commenced the Fin du Monde tastes like a perfectly spiced Indian dessert- cardamom and clove flavors are present. The carbonation is just about spot on. For my first ever restaurant-beer and a blind choice by me with no prior knowledge of Unibroue or La Fin other than a love of the trippel style, I'd rate this a 6/5. (974 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.13.2013
Barley vine-behind the bar
La fin du monde-end of the world
Unibroue
Chambly, Quebec

Good gracious eh?

I couldn't resist. Save for molson golden.. This is my first foray into Canadian beer.

A- hazy beach sand... Very pretty and elegant looking
S- clove, cardamom, cinnamon, cotton candy!
T-hints of bitter birch, more clove business, Indian food or Thai is calling!
M- sharp and sprightly
O- my Interest is peaked... Fun and interesting...high brow and balanced.. An achievement!! (494 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Had this from a bottle, at of all places, in a really nice pool hall. (i don't play pool, it was my first time there and was shocked to see the extensive beer menu). It was my first "real" beer and was surprised to find it wasn't as heavy as I feared it might be. The mouth feel was surprisingly light although I could "taste" the alcohol after I swallowed it. In a way it kinda reminded me of sam adams summer ale. (PLease don't yell at me if that is an inappropriate comparison) Although I could not see what it looked like, (in fact I was unable to see light through it at all) I imagine it was darker than almost anything I've ever had. the smell was absolutly wonderfull and I imagine if I built up a tolerance I could drink a few at one sitting...not a session, that would be a shame (and expensive).
I do, however, have a serious question, are you supposed to drink the sediment at the bottom? I did and found it raunchy. I would appreciate an answer because I plan to try it again. (990 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%

Appears with lots of tight bubbles, beautiful golden appeal. Show care when pouring, this one's highly carbonated. The visual has you under its spell.

A fruity bouquet, cherries, slightly sour yeast in a good way. Still anticipating the taste. Aroma is almost perfumy, quite invigorating.

High carbonation and a fresh yeast that's slightly sweet, cherries and sour apples. A sliver of nutiness with a very deverse array of flavors. Mouthfeel is frothy and effervesant with a thin, clean finish.

I could drink way too many of these with it's 9.0% ABV. Goes down easy. Great beer for HOT and SPICEY dishes, very soothing.

A winner of a belgian from Unibroue!!! (670 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Fruity, warm, full, tasty. More crisp and lively than a lot of high ABV Belgian-style ales. Goes down extremely easily, though, so watch yourself.

Pairs well with lighter meals, like white meats and grilled veggies.

An exceptional value in beer. At $6 for a 750-mL bottle, and less per oz for a four-pack of 12-oz, you won't do better. We can't buy it where we are right now (sigh), but we always buy out the store of this stuff when we go to the "big city." (460 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

A. Beautiful golden apricot, cascades of carbonation lasting through the drink.

S. Crisp golden apples, some notes of nutmeg, fig, and ripe apricot. Bit of yeast.

T. Fruitiness of apple, apricot, and fig. Hints of hazy spice and a wheat-like note. Similar to Chimay, but also reminds me of Delirium Tremens. There is that distinctive yeast-spice tone to it. Complex yet exceptionally drinkable.

M. Smooth, warm, and perfectly carbonated. Not too sweet or too bitter; easy to sip with a meal or by itself.

D. Not even a hint of the 9% abv. A 750 ml bottle could easily put you to sleep...the taste is so sublime it creeps up on you. Warm, crisp, good with pasta and sharp cheese.

I am amazed that a beer can be this good. I rank this with Delirium, Chimay, and Duvel. I personally like it better than Duvel; not as sweet, but this is indeed a world-class beer. (864 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Served from a 22-oz bottle into a tulip-style glass.

A - Cloudy, orangish/yellow with heavy carbonation. Excellent white, four-finger head with good staying power.

S - Tangy, almost like an orange

T - In a word: yummy. Almost like a caramel apple. Sweet, lingering aftertaste.

M - Somewhat alcoholic.

D - Very drinkable, despite ABV.

A reliable favorite. (361 characters)

Poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Deep gold & orange in color. A little white head appeared but didn't stay around long. A fair amount of lacing remains.

Smell: Tones of spice, citrus, and floral, quite appealing.

Taste: Flavors of apple, spice, and a bit of yeast, very pleasant.

Mouthfeel: A good feel with some carbonation and a nice crisp smack on the tongue.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, goes down quite nicely. (425 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

The color on this beer is fantastic, but I'm a little turned off by the humongous head on it. While you're waiting for that to settle, you can pretty much smell this beer from across the room, as the spicy and citrusy aroma is very strong. The taste is, as you would expect from the smell, spicy and citrusy, but also much stronger than you would first expect. The complex tastes add to the feel of this brew, yet it lost points on drinkability because of my tendency to take small sips and savor each one. (506 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

A- Beautiful golden orange coloring with a huge head (I prefer to pour a little extra head and then let my beers sit for a minute so that the temperature can balance while there's still some head left)

S- Smells like an odd balance between a spicy scent and the distinct maltiness of the style.

T- Incredible! The malts give it a very interesting flavor. I would almost describe it as being vaguely nutty compared to other takes on it.

m- If my taste buds were ever stressed, then this beer would be their masseuse. The malts provide a wonderful soothing effect as it's held in the mouth.

D- While delicious, finishing one of these with a meal would be the most I could ask anyone. (685 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

If you consider price and availability there isn't a better tripel. The spice note in the aroma and follows into the taste is something special, almost peppery in the aftertaste,i don't get alot of fruit in this one although there is definitely a sweetness back there somewhere, hard to go wrong with Unibroue and this is their best. (333 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A - I usually snub "appearance" as being an important factor in what makes a good beer. And perhaps it was after a few beers that I decided I loved the way this one looked, but I do. It has a wonderful dark, vibrant golden color.

S - The smell is great. It smells hoppier than it tastes, which is a bit off-putting, but generally strong with fruity undertones.

T - A wonderful combination of delicate and strong, complicated but not overly so. A hoppy yellow ale with strong notes of fruit and something I can't place. The end effect is particularly pleasing.

M - Good. Thinner than a stout, but thicker than a lager. Just a bit thicker than an October fest brew with a good amount of natural fiz.

O - Overall, great. This has been one of my favorite beers for years. While I don't think it is easy enough to be as popular to drink as Guiness, I think it has a perfectly balanced flavor, at least for my tastes. (915 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -47.6%

Pours cloudy golden. 2 finger head that dissipated quickly but left some lacing

Smells of fermenting fruit

Tastes of fermenting fruit and sweet (way to sweet )more of a cider taste than beer for me.But definatley more flavorful than macro brew. High abv is hidden well.Slightly tinney taste. But smooth going down.

Very carbonated but in a good way.

Mouth feel is smooth flavour dissipated quickly.

Overall OK. Would not purchase again as it is not my style. I am a hop head this brew was too sweet and reminded me of fallen fruit off a tree which is fermenting. Still more interesting than macro. And the abv kept me entertained (634 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I am not a fan of craft beer, and hearing that this was from North America concerned me. This beer surpassed my expectations. It does an exceedingly great job of meeting or beating many Belgian breweries. (204 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue