Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

La Fin Du MondeLa Fin Du Monde

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,826 | Hads: 9,292
4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a hazy light colour into a pint glass. Lots of yeasty esters from the top, but nothing too distinct. Notes of sweet apple and traditional Unibroue mangoish scents.

Wonderful in the mouth with big citrus and fruity notes from the suspended yeast. It was very nice on a hot summer day and could be dangerously drinkable if I had more than the two I did at nine percent.

A fantastic effort and my favorite from the Unibroue stable. (437 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Massive head and you can see tendrils of carbonation when held up to the light

S: CLOVE, sweet banana, and slight alcohol

T: Fruity and spicy, followed by significant alcohol burn which seems to fit with the taste and exits through the nose (not unpleasant)

M: Very effervescent and hard to 'grip'; I feel that this interferes with proper tasting

D: I could drink these all night

The bottle and style are appealing. (423 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

A 12-ish oz. pour from a 750 ml bottle to chilled glass. Not a tulip glass as suggested by the bottler.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy with many bubbles that slowly rise to the head. The head itself was about 2" in height and is now approx. 1/8" in height after resting for a couple minutes.

Smell: Had to close my eyes and get very close to find a smell (so close I got the tip of my nose in the beer). The best description I have at the moment is a subtle, bright yeasty smell. I've never smelled any beer quite like it to date.

Taste: I can taste the yeast more so than I can smell it. Bright. Distinctive acidic, citrus, almost lemon taste to it without the sourness of a lemon. Part of me wants to say lemongrass but I'm not 100% sure that applies. Overall, a memorable first taste that is vaguely reminiscent of Boulevard Wheat that quickly changes to something else entirely (still figuring that out). Bubbly at first and with a quick springy, flowery finish. Was looking for a longer finish or stronger opening with this beer.

Mouthfeel: It hits the sides of my tongue towards the back of my mouth. Drinking this makes my mouth want to leap a bit after each sip.

Overall: A great sipping beer. High ABV that hides a bit behind the yeast and bubbles upon pouring. It's still easy to notice its high ABV however. Not out of the park on taste; i was hoping for a more bold flavor that would be worthy of the label "The End of the World". It would be ideal for serving at a small gathering where conversation is intelligent, or (as many have done so far) toasting beer at End of the World celebrations.

This is my first review of a beer. I am supremely overjoyed that, having survived the new year, I can go on to review other beers.

Purchased 4-750 mL bottles at $6.99 about a week before Christmas 2012. (1,814 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured from large bottle to regular glass (yes I ignored the tulip recommendtion but only becuase i don't have one!).

A: Cloudy and golden with bubbles rising happily to the surface. Lovely head slightly thinner than my finger shrinking but lingering for quite awhile.

S: Not quite sure how to describe this, its somewhat unique. Slightly yeasty I guess? All I know is that is seems to be come with all of the Unibroue products I have tried. Strange but I've come to appriciate it.

T: Sweet but not heavily like a porter or stout. Most of the flavors I notice come after I swallow. Kinda smooth and nutty fading into a lingering grape juice like sweetness that I really enjoy. You will also get the distinct Unbroue taste that comes withall their stuff. If impatient enough to sip while the head is still there you may find it very smooth and creamy.

M: Nothing too special about it. Its thin and bubble. Nothing wrong with it either though. If it was summer I might be more excited about it.

O: A nicely sweet and fruity brew with a decent drinkabilty. My only problem is that the taste of the 9% alc. does slip through now and again but the after taste makes up for it in my opinion.

Random notes on this beer: This is my second time having it. This is the brew that introduced me to the glorious world of Unibroue. Its not my favortie from them but more than worth having. I'm having it now because when I started drink it it was 12/21/12 and I made a pleadge to have it at midnight as the name itself apparentlly means The end of the world. Ultimately I used that as an excuse to have this agian. (1,608 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

So, there seems to be a love hate kind of thing with this beer, so I will be as frank as I can. The past reviews seem to be between 3 and 5. I give it a 4.25. This brew was on sale at kroger at 7.99, so I got one to drink and one to age. The one I drank opened with apricot and yeast. The fruitiness covers the 9 abv, but can still taste the booziness. This is one to age, in my opinion. For the here and now, it just doesn't seem ready to drink right off the shelf. not ready yet. Just tastes like a young barleywine, sorta. Of course, I will finish this bottle, but I look forward to tasting the one that I will age for at least one year. (640 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

Man, this stuff is good. What can I say? My roommate, who doesn't like beer, had a sip of this, and said it might have changed his whole opinion of drinking beer more often. This is after my forcing him to sample many types of premium mircros from Saisons to Irish Stouts. I don't know what is a better compliment than that.

Apperence - Golden yellow

Smell - nice grainy smell. I'm not as good as a lot of you at describing smell. It just smelled grainy and fresh.

Taste - Reminded me a lot of most Belgian whites at first. Spicy, complex, but light at the same time. In fact if you had not told me it was brewed in Quebec, I would have swore it was Belgian. It really is amazing how well Unibroue does at making Belgian style beers. It reminded me a lot of Hoegaarden with the contrast and color turned up so to speak. It is just deeper, more full, and more round.

Mouthfeel - a smidge on the bubbly side. Nothing particularly bad here, but the carbonation can overwhelm if drank too quickly.

Drinkability - Great! Goes down easy. I have pretty well destroyed a 750 ml in the last 45 minutes, so watch out. It is easy to drink quick but a shame to not enjoy. (1,174 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -23%

I picked up this beer not knowing what to expect. It pored light, slightly pale and translucent, with a soft head. Smells slightly of yeast, very fruity...apricots, lemons, citrus, some other underlying tones. Flavor is very fruity and light, with a slight bite. It feels light and carbonated in your mouth, but leaves a slighty dry and lingering aftertaste of the fruits and yeasts.

Normally, i do not like these kinds of beers. It is very drinkable but is also very light, and too fruity for my tastes.

However, it was able to retain my attention and i did enjoy it. The 9% alcohol/volumne also helps alot ;)

A good beer, but I am not sure i would try it again. Fruity beers just dont do it for me, but its the best one i have had so far. (752 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

Careful pour into a chalice shaped goblet from a 12 oz bottle.

Appearance is a slightly hazy yellowish-gold color. Thin white-colored head with fine bubbles. No head retention and little to no lacing.

Smell/Aroma/Nose is champagne-yeast-like and slightly reminiscent of crisp apple.

Taste is complex. Opening with apple and clove with a sweet note, then a hefeweizen-like taste minus the esters. Very long finish ends on a dry note, enticing you to take another sip. This is a triple, but you do not notice the alchohol. You could get in trouble drinking this beer.

Mouthfeel is light and thin, champagne-like, with fine carbonation.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, and will buy again. (692 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Golden yellow with a thick foamy head.

Smell I get ripe sugary fruits and peppery phenols.

Honey dew and green grapes, slight carbonic bite and white pepper phenols with some medicinal and clove flavors. I get a very soft caramel graininess that lingers on after everything else.

The carbonation is high enough to lend a bite that really keeps the palate clean between sips. (377 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -4.2%

I was referred to this beer by a good friend who said it was right up my alley, which is most deffinately was. La Fin Du Monde deffinately has aromas and flavors I haven't tasted in most beers. I'm not the most educated beer advocate although this beer is a must try as well as other Unibroue beers. (299 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +13.2%

First off i dont review many brews but have had some of the top 100 list easily but really feel this brew deserves a review.

A: Poured into a Stone tulip (im getting a bunch of Belgian chalices tomorrow finally from a guy here in AZ that is in the AZ Trappiste club that is here in AZ, they only drink Belgian style brews and im fortunate enough to become a new member). Nice head 1.5 inches kinda dissipates but not too fast.

S: Im not great at smell but you can definitly smell the sweetness of this brew.

Mouthfeel: "Well it feels great IMHO"!!! PERIOD!

Drinkability: One word "INSANE" in a fantastic way. It 9% abv and cant even taste the alc. at all could seriously drink these all day but the abv would for sure catch up to me. (738 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

By far the best value I have found in a tripel, around $7.00 for 750ml. This beer has huge flavor, which is good if you like the style. Carbonation is up there and poured a rocky head. Of the beers in this stlye that I have tried it is second only to Chimay's tripel. (267 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Quite possibly my new favorite beer. Definitely the best tripel i've ever had. Amazing!

A: Light, golden haze.
T: Very sweet, but in a good way, and balanced with clove spiciness. The high alcohol content adds some nice warming.
D: It would be quite easy to finish off a glass (or more) very quickly, but the high alcohol content will put you down fast. (354 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

This...beer...alas, a Belgian tripel...is so delicious. I could waste your precious time with the pedantic musings of others as to its clovey-sweet, perfectly-balanced super excellence. But there is no time for hyperbole. Time to drink, voyageurs! Time to quaff this mysterious bitch-goddess from La Belle Province! Bow to its wondrous, inexplicable enchantments! Drink it...like you know you like it! (401 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - Honey & orange colored. Two-finger head, a fuzzy blanket of white foam, very small bubbles. Solid ring of lace.

S - Citrusy, much like orange juice - like a orange soaked in beer. Slight tinge of raisins, bit of breadiness.

T - Light and refreshing. Citrus again comes through strong. Alcohol finish comes through late and warm. Orange flavor lingers for a while. The flavors almost come through stronger in the finish.

M - Smooth and mellow. Carbonation is vibrant and still present to the end.

D - Very drinkable. Nice progression of bubbles, then flavor, then alcohol sweetness, then a wonderful finish. (655 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

A: 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind some nice lacing.

S: yeasty, citrus, bananas

T: yeast, sweet, oranges, lemon zest, banana

M: crisp with medium carbonation

D: overall very drinkable. The ABV is well hidden and very refreshing. (257 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not fundamentally opposed to Tripel's, but they're not really my first choice in beer style. However, this one is just delightful :) The color is pretty beautiful, pouring as a opaque golden color. The head was a bit foamier at first (as with all Belgians) , but it soon settled into a nice, thin, creamy blanket resting on top. At 9% the alcohol content is relatively high, but the sweet honey flavors, malts, and yeasts balance each other very well, effectively masking any overwhelming taste of alcohol. Carbonation wasn't overbearing (my usual complaint with Belgian beers). Probably the best Tripel I've ever had. Definitely worth a try, even if you're not a fan of Belgian style beer (which I'm not!). (747 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Hazy golden color. Two finger head; thick, creamy. Dissipates quickly, yet nobly, leaving a nice lacing. Tiny bubbles noticeable, giving the beer a playful character.

S: A wonderful balance between sweet and spicy. Notes of apple, citrus, some malt, and pepper.

T: Sweet on the front of the tongue, initially citrus-y; the 9% ABV makes itself apparent with a (inoffensive) metallic twang. Matures into notes of cherry and phenolic cloves and pepper. Leaves a warm feeling and a bitter, dry aftertaste.

M: Smooth and soft on the front, with a satisfactory weight. Carbonation tingles the back of the throat.

O: Wonderful. My first tasting of La Fin du Monde (as well as my first review). I think I've found a new favorite. (729 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%

This stuff along with the rest of the Unibroue line is liquid gold, Texas tea, that "potent erl," whatever you may call it. However, La Fin Du Monde stands out as being a real perfection of the trippel style with that lip smackin long lastin delicious good taste of the CanadianBelgianFrench yeast strain.
Don't let the appearance fool you; this is a pale, clearish straw golden beer with large-ish bubbles (it seemed to me) that were bolder than the measley, weakling bubbles produced by Cristal, for example. However it is no Pabst!! You'll notice it stinks; spicy is a good start but the banana and fruit really clobber you after that. Once drinking is commenced the Fin du Monde tastes like a perfectly spiced Indian dessert- cardamom and clove flavors are present. The carbonation is just about spot on. For my first ever restaurant-beer and a blind choice by me with no prior knowledge of Unibroue or La Fin other than a love of the trippel style, I'd rate this a 6/5. (974 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.13.2013
Barley vine-behind the bar
La fin du monde-end of the world
Unibroue
Chambly, Quebec

Good gracious eh?

I couldn't resist. Save for molson golden.. This is my first foray into Canadian beer.

A- hazy beach sand... Very pretty and elegant looking
S- clove, cardamom, cinnamon, cotton candy!
T-hints of bitter birch, more clove business, Indian food or Thai is calling!
M- sharp and sprightly
O- my Interest is peaked... Fun and interesting...high brow and balanced.. An achievement!! (494 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Had this from a bottle, at of all places, in a really nice pool hall. (i don't play pool, it was my first time there and was shocked to see the extensive beer menu). It was my first "real" beer and was surprised to find it wasn't as heavy as I feared it might be. The mouth feel was surprisingly light although I could "taste" the alcohol after I swallowed it. In a way it kinda reminded me of sam adams summer ale. (PLease don't yell at me if that is an inappropriate comparison) Although I could not see what it looked like, (in fact I was unable to see light through it at all) I imagine it was darker than almost anything I've ever had. the smell was absolutly wonderfull and I imagine if I built up a tolerance I could drink a few at one sitting...not a session, that would be a shame (and expensive).
I do, however, have a serious question, are you supposed to drink the sediment at the bottom? I did and found it raunchy. I would appreciate an answer because I plan to try it again. (990 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%

Appears with lots of tight bubbles, beautiful golden appeal. Show care when pouring, this one's highly carbonated. The visual has you under its spell.

A fruity bouquet, cherries, slightly sour yeast in a good way. Still anticipating the taste. Aroma is almost perfumy, quite invigorating.

High carbonation and a fresh yeast that's slightly sweet, cherries and sour apples. A sliver of nutiness with a very deverse array of flavors. Mouthfeel is frothy and effervesant with a thin, clean finish.

I could drink way too many of these with it's 9.0% ABV. Goes down easy. Great beer for HOT and SPICEY dishes, very soothing.

A winner of a belgian from Unibroue!!! (670 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

Fruity, warm, full, tasty. More crisp and lively than a lot of high ABV Belgian-style ales. Goes down extremely easily, though, so watch yourself.

Pairs well with lighter meals, like white meats and grilled veggies.

An exceptional value in beer. At $6 for a 750-mL bottle, and less per oz for a four-pack of 12-oz, you won't do better. We can't buy it where we are right now (sigh), but we always buy out the store of this stuff when we go to the "big city." (460 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

A. Beautiful golden apricot, cascades of carbonation lasting through the drink.

S. Crisp golden apples, some notes of nutmeg, fig, and ripe apricot. Bit of yeast.

T. Fruitiness of apple, apricot, and fig. Hints of hazy spice and a wheat-like note. Similar to Chimay, but also reminds me of Delirium Tremens. There is that distinctive yeast-spice tone to it. Complex yet exceptionally drinkable.

M. Smooth, warm, and perfectly carbonated. Not too sweet or too bitter; easy to sip with a meal or by itself.

D. Not even a hint of the 9% abv. A 750 ml bottle could easily put you to sleep...the taste is so sublime it creeps up on you. Warm, crisp, good with pasta and sharp cheese.

I am amazed that a beer can be this good. I rank this with Delirium, Chimay, and Duvel. I personally like it better than Duvel; not as sweet, but this is indeed a world-class beer. (864 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Served from a 22-oz bottle into a tulip-style glass.

A - Cloudy, orangish/yellow with heavy carbonation. Excellent white, four-finger head with good staying power.

S - Tangy, almost like an orange

T - In a word: yummy. Almost like a caramel apple. Sweet, lingering aftertaste.

M - Somewhat alcoholic.

D - Very drinkable, despite ABV.

A reliable favorite. (361 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue