La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Reviews: 2,822 | Hads: 9,239
4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

If you consider price and availability there isn't a better tripel. The spice note in the aroma and follows into the taste is something special, almost peppery in the aftertaste,i don't get alot of fruit in this one although there is definitely a sweetness back there somewhere, hard to go wrong with Unibroue and this is their best. (333 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

A - I usually snub "appearance" as being an important factor in what makes a good beer. And perhaps it was after a few beers that I decided I loved the way this one looked, but I do. It has a wonderful dark, vibrant golden color.

S - The smell is great. It smells hoppier than it tastes, which is a bit off-putting, but generally strong with fruity undertones.

T - A wonderful combination of delicate and strong, complicated but not overly so. A hoppy yellow ale with strong notes of fruit and something I can't place. The end effect is particularly pleasing.

M - Good. Thinner than a stout, but thicker than a lager. Just a bit thicker than an October fest brew with a good amount of natural fiz.

O - Overall, great. This has been one of my favorite beers for years. While I don't think it is easy enough to be as popular to drink as Guiness, I think it has a perfectly balanced flavor, at least for my tastes. (915 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -47.6%

Pours cloudy golden. 2 finger head that dissipated quickly but left some lacing

Smells of fermenting fruit

Tastes of fermenting fruit and sweet (way to sweet )more of a cider taste than beer for me.But definatley more flavorful than macro brew. High abv is hidden well.Slightly tinney taste. But smooth going down.

Very carbonated but in a good way.

Mouth feel is smooth flavour dissipated quickly.

Overall OK. Would not purchase again as it is not my style. I am a hop head this brew was too sweet and reminded me of fallen fruit off a tree which is fermenting. Still more interesting than macro. And the abv kept me entertained (634 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I am not a fan of craft beer, and hearing that this was from North America concerned me. This beer surpassed my expectations. It does an exceedingly great job of meeting or beating many Belgian breweries. (204 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer goes down smooth and tastes fantastic. The alcohol is hidden well, but watch out the 9% will sneak up on you after you have had a couple. Florida has recently started stocking this beer at the regular sales locations and I recommend it to any beer lover. Good for most all pallets. (291 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +11.4%

I would have to say this is one of my favorite brews of all time. I really love this beer. Even the name is awesome: "La Fin Du Monde" is French for "End of the World."

I poured it into a glass and it immediately formed a thick, three-finger head. Bubbles continuously rise to the surface creating a nice lacing once the head has receded.

The smell is strong and fruity.

The taste is very malty, almost sweet but not quite. Very smooth going down, and the Belgian spice is notable at the finish. The high alcohol content is masked behind these immense flavors.

I am in love with this beer. (601 characters)

I found this brew (suprise, surprise!) at the local neighborhood HEB supermarket. It was not surprise that when I went back they had sold out. Duvel and Chimay drinkers take note, there is a new kid on the block and his Reggie...whoops wrong review...

The bottle is striking and the Quebec nationalism hits you in the face like a handfull of yeast sediment. If your french is rusty, the name translates to "End of the Earth". This could be interpreted a number of ways; Quebec is literally at the end of the Earth or you'd have to go to the End of the Earth to find a better beer. I think the latter is appropriate. I liked the beer so much I wasted no time in cloning it. That of course requried that I buy several more bottles to harvest the yeast. (Word of note to homebrewers, the yeast is very agressive so have plenty of space in your carboy or you will have a problem. I dry hopped mine with a bit more orange peel than called for and it clogged my blow off tube and I got a call from home (Houston, we have a problem...) it seems the stopper, blow off tube and several ounces of peel and yeast were blown onto the ceiling and surrounding real estate. However the beer was splendid, although with no candy sugar it was minus the tremendous head. Now on to the beer.

This beer was splendid. From the huge rocky shaving cream head, to the wonderful orangey, estery aroma it shouted drink me. (Caution, do not mow the yard in the Houston heat, then gulp one of these 22oz babies down or you will have a hangover in short order.) The ale bursts in your mouth like a fruity explosion, only dampened by the mild alcohol warmth as it slides down your gullet like a soothing balm. You just can't stop. 22ozs disappears in no time. Buy the big one for yourself and a 6 pack of 12 ozers because you will not want to share the large bottle with anyone. The mouth feel was wonderful and even with it's prodigious alcohol content, you'll down this brew greedily like an overpass dwelling wino. Unibue have outdone themselves.
Warning: If you haven't tried Belgian Style Ales and do not want to pay the high price demanded for them ($8.00), Do not try this beer as it is highly addictive! (2,188 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

I'm not sure if anyone could put this next to an authentic Belgian Tripel and tell the difference.
It smells like a Belgian Tripel, tastes like a BT, Has the mouthfeel of a BT, and it's equally as strong and drinkable as a BT as long as you like drinking strong brews that end up being the focus of your night.
For 9.99 a 4-pack, it's a bargain and I'm in love with it so my score is biased. Sorry, you may want to read the next one for objectivity. (452 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%

A- A lighter golden straw color, a bit hazy. Pours a creamy head that dissipates but leaves some lacing behind.

S- Wow. Has a deep, fruity, sweet smell. Bananas and yeast. It makes you want to stick your nose in the glass before every sip.

T- This is a refreshing beer, the alcohol is present but masked by the fruity, yeasty flavor. Has a bit of a lingering aftertaste that dries out a bit.

M- Good carbonation that tingles on the tongue and really promotes the flavor.

Overall this is a very good beer that is widely available. a great intro into a tripel for those that are newer to the style, and one I'll still come back to. (633 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

It was no surprise to me that Unibroue had hired a brewmaster from Belgium to brew beers for them. La Fin du Monde puts me in mind of a well-done Belgian strong ale. ( I know...it is a tripel) This beer is superb! Radiantly hazy golden color, beautiful head that, while it doesn't last very long (to be expected at 9%) does leave a nice fine lacing on the glass. The aroma is (to my mind anyway) magnificent! Fruity,malty with just a touch of herbalness from the hops faint whiff of alcohol in the nose, I usually find myself smelling it before every sip.

The flavor is wonderful too. Touch of maltiness, slight notes of cardamom, enough bitterness to just balance it, the alcohol even adds a nice note! I love this beer and have started keeping a few on hand at all times. I find the drinkability to be excellent as well despite the strength. Truly a world class brew! (870 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

12 oz bottle poured to a unibroue tulip (new, on sale with the beer - it's a good day). Rich head, with a taste that tactfully holds back from all the sweetness in the aroma. Exceptionally clean feel and finish for such a tasty beer. Aftertaste leaves the mouth feeling clean, if not for the alcohol burn I would reach for another sip all too quickly. So glad I got the 4-pack. (377 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

12 oz foiled bottle into chalice.

Reddish gold color with less than a finger head.

Strong smell of yeast and sweet berries. Not unlike a berry muffin.

Subtle wine like taste highlighted with berries and grapes.

Medium bodied. Lower carbonation reminds me of drinking a dry white wine.

Quite drinkable as the 9% is well hidden. Nice flavor and well worth a try. (370 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%

Appearance. LFDM pours golden and a touch hazy, with one or two fingers of thick white head that almost looks like cappuccino foam. I was drinking it in the dark, so this is all I managed to get.

Smell. Personally, I think LFDM smells like sweet spices - the kind of things you'd put in a pie, but nothing specific. I also get some fruit here; maybe a hint of apple or peach. Then the alcohol smell comes wafting out like a warning sign, which I usually proceed to ignore.

Taste. Oh, baby. Estery fruit and spice, a little phenolic clove, a whole metric ton (they're Canadians after all) of malt, and a smack of alcohol at the end. A touch of hop bitterness, but nothing to write home about.

Mouthfeel. There's a decent amount of carbonation on this beer, so it sparkles on the tongue, but it has that big malty smoothness that I enjoy quite a bit.

As a final note, I would like to point out that, anecdotally, a beer with a lot of esters and fusel alcohols will tend to give you a bigger, meaner hangover than one without, so be careful if you're going to get all messed up on this brew. You may live to regret it. (1,119 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

A wonderful bright gold with a decent foamy head when poured into a tulip glass. This beer gives you a hint of whats to come with notes of hops and citrus and just a hint of spice as you raise the glass to your mouth.

With a fantastic spicy start, and a combination of hops, cloves, citrus and just a hint of something floral this is a truly great beer. Finishes with a crisp clean finish that makes it easy to drink this beer over and over again. (448 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

The beer has a nice golden haze typical of Tripels.

Smells good and taste really good for a mid range Tripel. I like it recomend to anybody looking for a value Tripel.

The after taste is ok. not great but it's the typical craft beer after. This is a good value buy as far a Tripel's go. I look forward to enjoying this beer again in the future. (346 characters)

Great golden color with a nice head. Has a strong deep flavor with lots of yeast and a bit of spice to it. Nice fruity bouquet. Has just the right ammount of carbanation, has a great mouthfeel. Just a great beer in every aspect. Has little alcohol flavor, even though it has a 9% ABV. (284 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

quality hoppy fruit aroma, nice pour, solid head that leaves its mark, slightly cloudy tanish-orange appearance, constant carbonation. Instant rush'o'strong flavor, just enough bitterness at the end to make you want more and more and more, potent shit, 9% to the face which you really cant even taste. All around great beer, wish it was more available. (352 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -6.7%

holding this beer up to the light it looks amazing, it doesn't have as much smell as some beers, but i might just have a stuffy nose!

it has a wonderful taste, very tart, i wish just maybe a tad more hops, but just a little, i would want to over power the fruity flavors. This beer has a wonderfully fruity after taste, i like that the sweetness of this beer is not in the beginning over powering the other flavors, but more towards the end, which is just pleasant!

oh, and its 9 percent, this beer masks that wonderfully! you don't get that boozy after taste, nice!

it has a very full flavor reaching all of my taste buds, feels great in the mouth

over all this is a fantastic beer, and i recommend it to others, especially to those who want a drink that wont dropkick you in the face! (790 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a gold hue standard for most belgian ales/beligan style wits. Fluffy white head that dissipates after a few minutes. Sweet aroma typical for a Unibroue ale, somewhat of a honeysuckle smell. Has a semi hefe weissen unflitered look to it, with high carbonation. Sweet taste initially, with the carbonation definitely noticeable Slightly bitter and tart, defined spice and floral notes. Light citrus, perhaps a tangerine hits after the initial carbonation. A solid sipping beer, I'd rate it an A. Not mind blowing, but good for a cheaper beligan ale. (553 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured into a La Fin Du Monde Tulip Glass

Appearance: Pours an opaque golden yellow, with about a 1 finger thickness head that dissipates very slowly to a lacing.

Aroma:Smells like a wheat beer, with fruity undertones especially banana, some malt in the background.

Taste: Tastes like a somewhat malty wheat beer, with a pronounced fruity sweetness to start (especially banana) that ends in a stronger malty finish (but not overwhelming). Tastes good to me, for a medium light beer.

Mouthfeel:This is a little bit on the light side, but for a Belgian style tripel, it has a good mouthfeel. A fair amount of carbonation, and a medium light thickness.

Overall: This is a good beer. To me it tastes like a really good wheat beer, with fruity notes, and a malty finish that lingers for a good time. Worth seeking out, and I probably will be trying this one again. (864 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +12.5%

I had a chance to try this on accident. After eating dinner out at a french restaurant my party and I ended up at the bar talking with the owner. I expressed my fondness for beer as he had 4 bottles in front of him. He was trying new beers for his beer list - although this beer is from Quebec - I think the French name was more important.

I found the beer to have a crisp sensation, the flavor was earthy and only mildly sweet, while there was malt flavor I would not have pegged the ABV at 9% . I found the finish of the beer to leave only a subtle bite from the hops. I don't consider my ability to separate traditional flavor accents very good so I will leave it at that.

Overall, this is a beer I would drink alone or with a meal in a heart beat. I will likely pick some up next opportunity I have and were I to see it out a restaurant, I'd pay decently for it.

I ended up recommending this beer strongly to owner, especially given the traditional french menu. Anything that you would pair a hearty red wine to you could probably pair this to as well. (1,060 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter

A-Head quickly dissipates to very thin, beautiful hazy yellow hue.
S-The aroma of this beer is one of the most fantastic things about it. Belgian-y, very Belgian-y.
T-Wonderful triple, slight warmth, excellent maltiness. As others have said, this is textbook stuff.
M-Hard for me to describe..but it's nice.

Overall this beer is a true winner in my book. It is without question in ranks as one of the best Triples in the world. (449 characters)

Another 25OZ.bottle and another perfect score. There is no beer on this great earth that can compare to this in my unhumble opinion. Maybe i am short sighted but it is how I feel about this liquid perfection. I know people will jump on my behind for saying this-the greatest beer in the world. This is the third time I have reviewed it. (336 characters)

I use to get this beer all the time and it was great. But about a year ago I got 4 consecutive bottles that were all flat and tasted like straight syrup. Haven't been able to go back since. Anyone else have that issues? (219 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +8.4%

I was hesitant in trying this beer since it came from Canada, but based on the reviews I thought I would give it a shot. Damn glad I did as it became one of my favorites on the first sip. Very competitive with the top Belgiums, yet at a lower cost (at last where I get my beer). Cloudy golden color with a nice light, but tight head. Despite a slight tartness, it is still somewhat sweet and very smooth. Also has a nice spice flavor, but not overwhelming. A tripel at its best! Despite the fairly high alcohol content (9%), there is very little alcohol flavor, but it is somewhat noticable on the after taste. Watch out Belgium. I am looking forward to trying the rest of the Unibroue beers. Well, time for another and another and ........... (743 characters)

La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue