La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Fin Du Monde Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Great Belgium type beer

2.88/5  rDev -33.2%

One of those beers I got interested in through BA. Sadly, I must report I don't think it lives up to the hype.

A-more yellow than golden, very bubbly, even 10 minutes after pour

S-all i get is faint orangey/lemony smell tinged with iron

T-Meh....Taste like iron with a modest belgian sweetness. I'd rather have the waffle. Surprisingly not astringent or alcoholy. Similiar in taste to a sparking white grape juice.

D- I must give praise on this category. For a 9% beer, it's one of the smoothest and easiest to drink I've had. Take that Miller or Coors Light.

In closing, I give this a whopping MEH. I think Trader Joe's Vintage '07 beats the shit out of this beer, and costs less.

It's so bubbly, you almost think this is more a mid-morning than evening drink. When I crave something bubbly and sweet, I'm almost more tempted just to buy some sparkling cider, which is basically in the same genus as this beer.

This is a pretentious beer and I'm not impressed. What more can I say? I'll drink it again, but I won't buy it again.

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful hazy amber with a fluffy white 1.5 finger head, which settled to a thin layer after a few sips. Leaves a smattering of lace down my Chimay goblet's interior. An amalgam of various fruits and the slightest hint of booze in the nose. Delightful pear, apple and banana notes come to the fore with the first sip, along with a bready/yeasty goodness. Taste finishes with a sparing tinge of herb. Medium viscosity gives this beer a very interesting feel...has a light creaminess to it that perfectly matches its other characteristics. 9% you say? I wouldn't believe you if I wasn't finishing up the bottle. Alcohol is wonderfully (and dangerously) masked. I don't know that I could drink a whole lot of this stuff because it's not exactly light, but it's a great pleasure to drink just one.

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Those Canucks sure do know how to brew some tasty beer. Carbonation is a little overkill at first but let this bad boy warm up a little bit and it will open into a perfect balance of fruit, spice, and everything nice. Dry, crisp, smooth and refreshing.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

I didn't know what to expect from this brewery for this Belgian but I must say I was impressed.

A- Nice golden color that almost glows while sayin'don't be shy, drink me.' The head falls quickly but shows it's mark.

S- Awesome clove smell that previews the spicy goodness that's about to hit your pallet. It has that faint 'banana' smell which I notice in Belgian styles like this.

T- Wow... I'm in love. This beer starts with a wonderful rush of goodnessnin the mouth followed by enough bite to satisfy anyone looking for a nice buzz worthy drinking session.

O- This has become a favorite of mine now that I know my local store sells it for $2 less than Delirium Tremens. I'll be reaching for this one on a weekly basis!

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

From a 4-pack of Unibroue 750ml's via Costco.

Great appearance, golden amber with lots of carbonation. Great head and foam retention, settling down to a thin lacing after the second sip. Classic triple aroma, malty, a bit sour, and lots of floral, with a hint of banana. Gentle malt flavor to start, alcohol very well hidden by carbonation and balance of flavor, hops present, but also well balanced. Very effervescent, almost champagne-like. Lots of sugary aftertaste. Very rich in flavor, but very drinkable.

I should have found someone to share this very large bottle with. I'm definitely looking forward to the other 3 bottles.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into a tulip from a bottle.

A: Pours a burnished yellow. A two finger head appears and quickly recedes to a quarter inch cap.

S: Spicy and alcoholic. A bit of orange citrus. A deep inhale brings out some yeasty undertones.

T: Sweet with some frutiness. I taste mainly pear. I get some clove and other herbal notes I can't quite place.

M: It is crisp and dry up front. The body is feels light because of the high carbonation. I think the finish is a bit sticky, more so than I am used to.

D: I like this beer. It is easy to drink, but not as much as other tripels I have encountered. It goes down easy, but the alcohol let its presence be known.

Notes: I am torn with this beer. I really enjoy it, but I prefer other tripels a bit more. While it is a delicious beer that I will continue to keep, it will find its way only occasionally to my glass.

4.12/5  rDev -4.4%

(reviewed from notes on Halloween)
Appearance: 750mL bottle into a tulip. Pours a hazed, solid golden yellow with orange highlights. 1 inch head slowly fizzes to a ring around the glass. not too much in terms of lace.

Smell: Really unique and interesting aroma: bubblegum, delicate noble hop floral bouquet, bittersweet orange, lime, lemon, and peppery spiciness.

Taste: Nose transfers directly to the taste: very nice subtle hop bitterness with mellow orange and lime tastes woven in, sprinkled with pepper and bubblegum yeastiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied - creamy and smooth due to a very lifting but not over the top amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: I really don't know how these Belgian style ales hide their alcohol so well. Its almost unbelievable that this is 9% abv, because it drinks like 4% or 5%. This beer is balanced yet flavourful, and goes down smooth.

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

A- a very pale cloudy straw, white head (thin)

S- First, strong notes of citrus, spicey-ness follows

T- fruit esters, spice, yeast

M- decent carbonation for style

D- very good

Poured from 750ml bottle into a 4 oz. taster. The thin and quickly dissipating head may be connected to traces of soap on glass... not ideal Had two beers in a row pour thinly into it.

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured chilled into a glass that sort of resembles a chalice. (Where the hell do you find a chalice anyway?)
My first Tripel so I am very excited.

Appearance: Large fluffy head springs up from initial pour, disappears quickly. A very carbonated looking beer, like champagne with all the bubbles.

Smell: A smorgasboard of fruit flavors, massive esters, a very strong aroma.

Taste: Small hop flavor up front, very fruity - apples, pears. Light but complex.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, nice and airy.

Overall: Certainly an interesting beer/style. Not my favorite style, but still very good. Great looking bottle btw.

4.94/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Mildly cloudy brew with an amber appearance and a off-white head that lingers for about 5 minutes to a nice lace for the remainder of the glass.

S: Talking complex! Spices, yeast, hint of wheat, hint of alcohol, note of honey. Delicious!!

T: Flavor that doesn't stop! Alcohol is masked extremely well for 9%, Notes of cloves, yeast, caramel, wheat, honey, mild hops. Maybe a slight nutty sorta cinnamon note in the aftertaste.

M: heavy complex body, tart dry aftertaste, sweet start, perfect carbonation.

D: Very easy to drink, especially with a steak meal or seafood. high alcohol with a low alcohol taste that will get yo in trouble after a few. (I'm starting to feel a buzz already) Love this one! Recommend it to all at least once.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%