La Fin Du Monde - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Tripel |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-23-1998

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 8,984 | Reviews: 2,811
4.32/5  rDev 0%

3.99/5  rDev -7.6%

A beautiful beer, and a surprise at that. Drank it cold (perhaps a little too cold) at Lumiere in Vancouver from a red-wine glass.

Head was a little on the thin side, but it smelled wonderful: nutty and complex. Color was hard to gauge (it was a candle-lit type restaurant), but pleasantly "burnt amber."

Flavor was on par with many Belgian tripels (it brought to mind Grimbergen). First taste was excellent, and the flavor remains throughought. Easy to drink with very little alcohol taste, and it was consistent from the first sip to the last.

I am on a hunt for this beer in my hometown. Not to be missed, and cheaper than a true Belgian, for everyday drinking.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

"I can't believe it's not Belgian"... that was my first thought upon tasting this gem from Quebec for the first time. Wow, what a beer. Beautiful pouring brew, with rich golden translucent color and massive, thick, Duvel-style head. Smell also first-rate: various spices and fruits accompany a malty base. Taste is just about perfect. I don't feel that I've tried enough beers yet to be able to give one a 5, but this is the closest I've come. Lots of banana flavor - almost sweet, but not sickly sweet...I don't generally care much for sweet beer, but this one just works somehow. Very rich, creamy mouthfeel. Overall, an absolutely outstanding beer. Compared to a couple of the "real" Belgians I have tried, I would rank it slightly higher than La Chouffe and slightly below Duvel.

3.5/5  rDev -19%

My first trippel and purchased due to rave reviews from friends. Initial pour had lots of white head, yellow-irange in color. Aroma of citrus at first, but with another smell I was able to pick out some bananas. Active palate, with plenty of carbonation. Had a yeasty, citrusy taste. Finish was bitter and alcoholic. At first I wasn’t that big a fan, but as I sipped more, I enjoyed it and detected some peppery taste. I guess I'm not much of a coriander guy. I particularly enjoyed the last of the 750 ml bottle. A good beer and I’m glad I tried it.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

A: Pours a hazy, cloudy tea-orange. Very minimal head that quickly goes away.

S: Lots of sweet aromas here...bananas, pineapple, some citrus. The alcohol is noticeable, but not overwhelming.

T: Classic for the style - an initial spicy-sweet taste gives way to a slight bite of hops in the finish. The 9% alcohol is well masked. Delicious.

M: Nearly perfect..well carbonated...neither too watery, nor too heavy.

D: Insanely good...this is a beer that you could easily drink too much of, and then suddenly find yourself down for the count. If it were possible to drink this one all night, I would.

One of my all time favorites.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a wine glass

Pours a hazy golden, almost orange, color. Has a creamy white head with little lacing.

The aroma is smells a bit like bannanas, strawberries, and bread. You can smell the alcohol just slightly.

The mouthfeel is extremely light and higly carbonated. The alcohol level is definitely a factor here adding to a very bitey feel.

Initial taste is just slightly sweet which quickly changes to a sour taste that hits the back and sides of the tongue. The sour, acidic flavors from the yeast are the dominant flavors here.

Drinkability is good. A little too sour for my taste.

4.11/5  rDev -4.9%

A quality beer for sure. I had read the hype and since i'm all about Tripels now, I had to try it. Allagash's Tripel is my new favorite beer, but I wanted to see how this one stacks up. I wasn't disapointed...much. The beer looked terrific, a solid golden haze with a nice tall head and tons of lacing. Promising! Well, that faded as I smelled the beer and I must say, I couldn't stand they way this one smelled. Something was strange. It was a spicy Tripel smell, but a bit too unpleasant for me. Maybe too strong? I dunno what the problem was. The taste was outstanding, second only to Allagash's. A bit more apple in the taste in this one. I really enjoyed it and it was super drinkable. With the exception of the smell, this beer was about perfect. But because I didn't care for the smell, I gotta put his one as the 2nd best Tripel out there. Highly recommended.

3.6/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured into tulip glass

Appearance - Bright yellow/orange, a bit hazy and with large thick white head. Lots of nice lacing.

Smell - Lots of citrus, some apples, bananas and spice.

Taste - Lots of sweetness, quite citrusy, with orange and lemon coming through quite strongly. "Belgian" yeast is quite present as well. The aftermouth is again quite sweet.

Mouthfeel - Quite creamy with strong carbonation.

Overall - Not a bad triple, but overall much too sweet for my taste. I don't think I could have two in a row.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%

4.75/5  rDev +10%

2.5/5  rDev -42.1%

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue