Éphémère (Apple) - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-21-2002)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
2.41/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's weird that a Canadian brewing company can produce such good Belgian beers… but they have figured it out. Not sure if they get their ingredients (yeast, barley, malt, hops) from Belgium, but Unibroue has always done a great job with their beers. I have never had this one, and I was sad to learn that the other three are no longer made. I bet a peach beer would be delicious! I am also a little nervous about this particular bottle… there was some residue under the cork, so I hope the bottle (the beer) is good. If not, I am sure we will taste it. It poured fine, and looks great in the glass… so I am sure it's OK.

I could actually smell this as I was pouring it. The beer is brewed with apple juice and coriander. Since I like apple juice, I am sure I will enjoy this! Let's drink, people!

In the Glass: The beer poured like a typical wheat based beer. It has a nice orange color to it, and not much head to speak of. The beer does have a nice thin white later on the top. The fuzz (I will call this head fuzz) sits there just begging to be consumed. I hope this tastes like apple juice… or I am going to be sad! I really want some apple juice. Can you tell?

Nose: They also use nutmeg in this beer, and that is the first thing I smell here. I expected more apple aromas, but the nutmeg is a nice compromise. A second whiff gives me a nice apple aroma, but makes me think of hot apple cider with… you guessed it, nutmeg on top! Speaking of apples, pretty sure Sheryl put a new soap in the bathroom. It's apple!

Flavor: Before I drink this, please note that I am listening to Eric Church right now. Yes, Drink in My Hand is playing. Perfect drinking song! Oh, and I have a Captain and Coke beside me. Diet Coke, but still. The flavor, at first, is nice, but then some weird flavors take over. The finish is the best part, but we will get there. The beer is simple, clean, and easy to drink, but the flavor is weak and lacking. I am not getting much nutmeg, but the apple juice really comes through. (The burp is loaded with apple, too.) They use Granny Smith apples, which isn't my favorite apple. But still, the apple should, in a beer with apple in the name, be more prominent. This is the first Unibroue beer I haven't been impressed with.

Mouthfeel: The beer is thin, smooth, and VERY easy to drink. It has a low ABV, so you could sit here and chug a bomber and never know the difference. I think more bubbles might help this bottle. Not much really going on here, and what bubbles are there are toward the back of the palate. For $7.99 I expect much bigger/better flavor.

Aftertaste: This is the best part of the beer. It quickly becomes drying, and leaves a nice apple flavor in the aftertaste. Imagine chomping into a crisp apple in the middle of the summer… the flavor that lingers 5-7 minutes later is what I am experiencing here. The aftertaste is good, but not enough to get me to appreciate the beer past mediocre.

Thanks for trying Unibroue, but this is not your best effort. If the cassis, cranberry, and peach beers were anything like this, I can see why it was narrowed down to one… but I am curious why this one. If this is the best of the four, that's too bad. Now I want to get a bottle of the raspberry. Know anyone in Quebec?

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Wow what nice offering again from Unibroue,pours a pale yeloow with a huge blooming head,a great aroma of green apples almost like a green apple jolly rancher.Taste is pretty complex much more than I thought,a nice fresh green apple taste with a nice malted wheat flavor with the two combining to make a great finish.Almost to easy to drink its 5.5% is masked very well.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

My assumption is that Ephemere 2002 is the same as Ephemere Pomme (Apple)......

Cloudy golden/orange pour with a huge head. Light fruity nose highlighted with apple, a hint of dried apricot and some spiciness. The taste to me was of less apple than the nose had suggested. In fact i would say it was somewhat light and creamy with a "bubblegum" finish. Not sweet at all but more subtle and refreshing. Not bad as an overall beer drinking experience.

2.38/5  rDev -33.7%

Appearance – Light green-yellow in color with a big head that went down cleanly. The head was more like something you’d see with champagne instead of beer. It was very bubbly and went down quickly.

Smell – There’s a faint yeast fragrance in there, but it’s Granny Smith that runs this show.

Taste – The green apple comes out big in the taste (as advertised), but it’s not like drinking apple cider. There’s also a little peach in there as well. My wife likes a champagne spritzer I make with dry champagne, a half shot of apple schnapps, a short half shot of brandy, and a big pinch of sugar. Once I forgot the sugar, and it tasted similar to this.

Mouthfeel – I thought from the champagne-like head that this would be bubbly and heavily carbonated, but in fact it was kind of flat and dry. It’s definitely light-bodied, though.

Drinkability – Not my cup of tea. I’ve had a few fruit-flavored ales that I’ve liked, but this one didn’t make the grade. Sorry.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

On tap at Kenadee’s Ultra Pub in Milwaukee, WI.

A: Pale, cloudy, lemon juice color with a soapy lace.

N: Baked granny smith apples, coriander, and just maybe a dash of cinnamon.

T/MF: Initially sweet, with a strong carbonation bite. Slightly wheaty with a flavor of green apple candy. Then tartness sets in crisp and zesty. Lightly bitter finish, possibly from hops, possibly not. Very light bodied but carbonation gives the sensation of it being fuller.

Drinkability: Pretty killer for a fruit beer, especially on a hot Milwaukee night.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Look (3.5/5) ~ pours a medium straw colour with some orange in there. The head was moderate: it rose high off a good pour, fell very quickly without any real lacing. Clarity was hazy, but not totally opaque.

Smell (4/5) ~ The aroma is really all yeast and fruit addition. I get the normal unibroue yeast aroma that you’d expect, but there is a slight acidity and pepperiness that make it a little more like a saison. The apple notes do a good job of straddling intense sourness with a nice sweetness .

Taste (4/5) ~ More or less the same as you get on the nose. The malt character is extremely gentle and distant in the background: I’d guess mostly pilsner or very pale ale malt with some wheat as well (because there is a very slight graininess in there). There’s no real hop flavour, but enough bitterness for balance (although this is mainly done with the acidity). The fruitiness blends really well with the spicy notes (coriander, pepper) and has a flavour a lot like apple skins.

Feel (3.5/5) ~ higher carbonation and very light body make for a refreshing brew that sets off the flavours of the apples really well. Sour beers pretty much need a light body.

Much better than the black currant version of this brew. It was very light and drinkable and really played up the apple flavours with a nice background yeast character.

I’ll just note that the bottle call cellared for about a year and a half.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

75cL bottle poured into two over-sized wineglasses

It pours a really hazy washed out straw color with a pillowy white head and an aggressive carbonation.

The aroma is of sweet/tart green apples very reminiscent of a cider. There is a little bit of like an spiciness that I can't tell if it comes from added spices or the Belgian yeast, but the green apple/cider aroma dominates this brew for me.

Some maltiness comes out in the taste, cutting through the apple aroma. Then comes the apple. It almost the exact flavor profile of a semi-dry cider. A unmistakable green apple taste with some backend sweetness.

The high carbonation fits this type of beer and it makes it pretty drinkable. This is a pretty unoffensive easy drinking approachable fruit beer but not by any means spectacular.

4.45/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As soon as I pop the gold foiled cap I get a rush of fresh cut green apple. Pours into my SN tulip a hazy golden yellow with a volumious active bubbly three finger head that has awesome retention. Aromas of ripe granny smith apple, orange peels and spicy lemon dusted grains. Vibrant earthy Unibroue yeast aromas. Very, very nice overall.

First sip brings a spicy, lemony zesty wheat grain flavor with big notes of coriander, citrus and a mellow green apple flavor. There's less green apple in the flavor than the nose leads you to believe, but it still leaves its mark wonderfully. Spicy yeastiness accentuates each sip with a light, fruity finish. A wonderfully refreshing and unique fruit beer.

Mouthfeel is rather light with a strong flow of carbonation that dances across my tongue. Ultra refreshing..I could seriously drink a lot of this brew, especially on a hot summer day. One of my new favorite fruit beers...I wish I could get a mixed 12pack with all the flavors. Well worth seeking out. Yum.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

My wife's favorite beer, not mine. It poure a slightly cloudy pale yellow with a nice head. It had a tart odor to it, and more of a sour apple than sweet apple taste. Somewhat carbonated, felt OK in the mouth. A nice beer to drink a few of, but not something I'd want to drink all the time. A summer beer.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a nice golden color with a think white head. It smells strongly of apples but I don't really detect much else.

The taste is of apples and the finish is real crisp. The apple flavor isn't as overpowering as I expected. This brew is very refreshing and worth a try this summer.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Cloudy lemonjuice color, can't see through it. Some beading coming up to the white and frothy head. Smells like you just cut open a ripe granny smith apple... Actually, maybe even sweeter, like a green apple jolly rancher. Slightly vineous scents.
Highly carbinated, almost champagnelike, bit too much for me... Taste is not as sweet as the scent would lead you to expect. Pretty dry tasting. Slight chardonnay taste with maybe a touch of green apples. Drinkability would be higher for me if the carb was lower. Decent flavors, not too strong, just nice. Could not do a bunch of this in a sitting, but nice for maybe one or 2 glasses.

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue