Éphémère (Apple) - Unibroue

Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-21-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Éphémère (Apple) Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,924 | Reviews: 992

This is officailly the worst beer ever. I have never had to pour anything down the drain until right now. I drank half the glass to see if things might get better, but no. I cannot beleive Unibroue would put their name on something this bad. The appearance probably deserves a 3, but everything else was so awfull I had to drop it to a 1. The nose is of artificial apple candy. The taste is a horrible blend of malts and artificial flavoring. Body is syrupy and over carbonated. Stay away from this stuff.

1.62/5  rDev -55%

I normally try on reviews but why bother here.

A well carbonated beer that doesn't leave lacing. It's a dark cloudy golden color (you really can't see through even a thin glass.

The smell is of a fart with apples in it. Yeah that's a mix of yeast and spices but mostly it just smells awful.

The taste is granny smith apples, spices, and perhaps some ginger and really I'm at a loss. It's awful.

If it weren't an awful beer it would be extremely drinkable. It however is awful!

1.71/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 1 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a very cloudy pale yellow green color with a yellow/green foamy head. Smell is dominated by apple. The taste is just bad.
I drank a couple of sips and poured the rest down the drain. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of fruit beers, but this was just nasty.

1.73/5  rDev -51.9%

12oz twist off (foil cap) poured into Unibroue tulip glass. Pours a straw and hazy color with a thin and whispy head. Slowly dissipates to to the color of murky pond water. HhHhhhhmmm... not good so far.

Smell: As soon as it hits the glass you get the smell. Unfortunately its not a pleasant smell. Sweetish bubblegum with synthetic apple candy thrown into the mix. Smells rather artificial. Definitely not good so far.

Took only one sip to judge this beer - thats all I needed. Bad (artificial) apple juice mixed horribly with some pale malts. Both clash to produce overly sweet beer that is not reminiscent of fresh apples. there are so many ciders that are far superior to this garbage. Drain poured the rest.

Mouthfeel is very thin and sprtizy carbonation quickly fades to flat pond water spiked with some artificial apple juice.

HUGE letdown from Unibroue since everything else is so good. Real bummer.

If you are reading this review and want to try it please take the 3 other beers that I have.

1.75/5  rDev -51.4%

750mL chilled bottle poured into a glass. Tasted immediately -- no good, so I let it warm up. Still no good. Er??

This was pretty disappointing and I drank it mainly because I'd spent something like $8 on it. I'm clearly unenthusiastic, so please pardon my sparse review.

A: The carbonation was very active. Clear wheat-like golden color.

S: Noticeable smell of sour green apples, coriander. I don't get the Jolly Rancher comparison, but I agree it's a strong smell.

T: Tasted like an apple wheat beer. Sour green apple, a little yeast, and wheat and coriander near the finish. I'm not sure what style this is exactly (an apple-ish take on a witbier?), but it's fairly mild and simplistic-tasting. The carbonation also makes it feel very foamy and watery.

M: Thin body, lots of carbonation that made it difficult to finish. I'm talking ridiculously high carbonation, like they put in 3 tablets of Alka-Seltzer. Spent more time burping than actually sipping.

D: I definitely won't have another.

Really disappointed in such an expensive beer.

1.83/5  rDev -49.2%

A - Pale yellow color with a tiny head made up of large carbonation bubbles. Quick dissipation, looks kind of flat.

S - Smell is pretty solid, nice sour apple tart smell which reminds me of candy. The yeast blends in well with the smell, but is definately a subtle second to the aroma of apples.

T - Awful, tastes like bad apple juice that's not sweet enough. I don't mean apple juice that's gone bad, just apple juice that is bad. Maybe this is just a bad bottle, but this is horrible and no one should waste their time with it.

M - It's almost completely flat, and kind of sticky.

D - Can't do it. Just can't drink this horrible brew.

Ok, first off let me say that I love almost any kind of beer. I even like Wild Blue, even though that tastes like grape soda instead of beer. But this... this is not beer. It doesn't even taste like cider. It tastes a little like sparkling white grape juice and apple juice mixed together with even less of a cheap pilsner. I drank it, and can't believe that I did, so I gave it at least a 2 for drinkability. But it tasted awful at first!

2.02/5  rDev -43.9%

12 oz bottle with a freshness date

A - Slightly hazy golden yellow pour with a thick white head. Good retention, with a slippery lace

S - Nose is heavy with green apples, and almost sickly, sugary sweetness...it's downright funky (like rotten fruit) in the background and rather off-putting if you breath in deeply...is it from the yeast?

T&M - Light bodied, smooth and slightly sweet up front, with a tartness in the finish. Lot's of green apple flavor. Feels a bit one dimensional.

D - For everything I don't like about it it's actually rather light. The more of it I drink though, the more the tart sticks to my palate.

Edit - Turns out I couldn't even finish this one...the artificial, tart apple flavor eventually overwhelmed me, and it ended up being a drain pour...lowering drinkability score as a result.

2.03/5  rDev -43.6%

I thought this was pretty bad, and i was looking forward to it. Pours with little head, doesn't look like much, doesn't smell like much other than a corky hint of apple. Taste is where I have problems with this beer: there is very little of it. My sample tasted akin to watered down cider. I'd rather drink a 40.

2.09/5  rDev -41.9%

Appearance - Cloudy and straw-colored. Very good head retention. Pretty much looks like a wit, which is probably what the base of this beer is.

Smell - Tart apples, a bit of citrus rind and spicy, funky Belgian yeast. Has a cider-like quality to it.

Taste - Dry and slightly tart. The apple flavor is quite pronounced but more cidery than syrupy. There's a grainy, wheaty character hiding underneath it, but it's fairly subtle. The aftertaste has an odd yeasty funk to it that clashes with the fruit. This is rather bad.

Mouthfeel - Highly effervescent and light on the tongue, bordering on watery.

Overall - Not very enjoyable. Over-carbonated with an overly phenolic yeast character.

2.11/5  rDev -41.4%

A: Very pale straw yellow. Pretty fluffy white head on pouring

S: Pure apple juice, which isn't really a compliment. I'd have bought apple juice if wanted some. Some faint spice

T/M: Again, pure green apple juice. Pretty thin in the mouth. Almost medicinal. Calling it a green jolly rancher does a disservice to one of my favorite candies. Not a fan of this. At all.

D: Ended up dumping 3/4 of the glass.

There's nothing going on here other than the apple. Where's the malt? Tastes like alcoholic apple water. Just don't get this given Unibroue makes some mighty tasty stuff. Who fell asleep at the wheel here?

2.13/5  rDev -40.8%

12 oz bottle purchased as part of an 8 bottle mixed pack from Unibroue purchased at Whole Foods in Duluth, GA and poured into a shaker pint glass.

A: I think this category is too broad to compare them by appearance so I am ranking it on how likely I would want to try it based on seeing it in a glass. I could really take or leave this one based on appearance. There was really no head to speak of. It had a wispy coating of bubbles that was constantly replenished from a geyser of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. It is a clear wheat-like golden color in the glass. No head and therefore no retention or lacing points here.

S: Smells like a sour green apple with hints of coriander spice. Unfortunately it reminds me of an apple jolly rancher.

T: See the smell explanation and replace smells with tastes. Just not my cup of tea.

M: Very thin body. The carbonation is very prickly in the mouth. It almost seems astringent.

D: I guess as far as being sessionable, it could be if you love eating sour apple jolly ranchers one after another. It is not something I would want attempt to do though.

I love Unibroue, and I have really enjoyed this mix pack. However, I really wish they had left this one out of the mix.

2.16/5  rDev -40%

A- Lots of bubbles, with a green hue to the yellow end of the spectrum.

S- Sour apples with a slight malt.

T- Very slight apple tang, but thats about it. So light on taste the smell was very promising and I was let down.

M- Super active, like tonic water.

D- Not hard to drink at all.

Just no reason to drink this one really more like sparkling water, really if the beer was less carbinated I might have been able to enjoy some very light balenced flavors but with this much carbination nothing much comes through. I would also like to try this beer with more apple flavors I think it would be nice with all that carbination. Really I would like to see the carbination scaled back or the taste scaled up.

2.18/5  rDev -39.4%

A - Bright yellow with a huge white head that retained quite well

S - Apples, not much of anything else

T - I have no idea here. It smells like apples, but tastes like nothing. Despite the low ABV, it has quite a nasty alcoholic taste

M - Well carbonated, almost too much. Light in body

D - Not a beer I would ever drink again. I used to hate fruit beers and this is a prime example of why. Vile swill.

2.2/5  rDev -38.9%

750ml bottle poured into a tumbler.

Appearance - A frothy golden pour, with an actively raised head. dropped quickly to a gentle lace
Aroma - candy apple.
taste - again... candy apple. strong candy apple, from start to finish.
mouthfeel - crisp and smooth.
drinkability - so sweet... i consider it having a very low drinkability level... I wouldn't buy it again.

my brother was trying this beer with me... and he thinks...
"It tastes like Budweiser, that tried to add apple with candy taffy."

Considering the style tends to use artificial adjuncts/supplements to get the flavor, it is still too unbalanced for my taste. IMO not a well rounded brew, even considering the styles goals....

2.25/5  rDev -37.5%

I must say I came into this with a little bit of prejudice because I dont like this style of beer.

A-a layered beer with a nice white head and many dark seeds lingering in the glass possibly from the apple.

S-APPLE. malt....little to no hops.

T- APPLE. malt...nothing much going on

M- light and fruity.

D- would not ever have another unless I was offered it by a friend

2.26/5  rDev -37.2%

Quite a pale colour, much like apple juice with a thin head that disappears quickly. Smelled very fruity, like a white wine with some hints of apple. First sip - wow very tart like a granny smith apple, very highly carbonated with a sharp biting mouthfeel. Not pleasant at all. Drinkability is poor. This is a shitty beer experience. The combo of taste and smell is really rank. Just because you can make an apple beer doesn't mean you should.

2.28/5  rDev -36.7%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

This beer pours a light cloudy gold with a light head and retention. Its not much to look at.

The aroma is very sweet and strong. You get all apples, very reminiscant of a green apple sucker.

The taste is horrendous. It has no flavor of apples or sweetness, its flat and tastes like a wanna ba sparkling water. The end is fuzzy and blah. A very poor effort all the way around. Mouthfeel poor and not drinkable at all.

2.29/5  rDev -36.4%

A - gorgeous yellow gold brew but very little lacing
S - sweet apple aroma but not much else
T - this was far too sweet to enjoy as it was about equivalent to apple jolly rancher

M/D - the carbonation combined with flavor made this an undrinkable brew

2.3/5  rDev -36.1%

It is with a sad heart that I must give my first decidedly negative review of a Unibroue offering.

I've found this to be a superlative brewery, so I was pretty eager to try this apple flavored brew. While not a huge lover of fruit flavored beers, there are several I do enjoy. But, this was not one of them.

No real head, but a strangely large amount of carbonation. The apple taste was sour and tart, not crisp. The overall affect was of cider gone bad, then pumped with club soda. Nor was there much going on besides the unappealing apple taste.

Just not a good effort.

2.31/5  rDev -35.8%

A nice color and decent head, ok stringly lacing. Aroma is a weak, thin sugary apple juice, its not bad, but not liking it one bit. The same artificial apple is too distracting for anything else to be tasted. Really, thats probably how its supposed to be, but its just not done well, imo. If this were a light beer with apple juice mixed in, I'd say "hey, this would be tasty for beer drinkin and throwing a frisby on the beach." As it stands, not impressed in the least.

2.32/5  rDev -35.6%

A: Apple cider- looking with a lot of sediment and not much of a head. At the end of the pour, something brown sloshed out of the bottle, which wasn't super appetizing.

S: Pretty much all granny smith apple with a hint of spice.

T: Again a bit of a stale granny smith apple flavor with a little pepper and spice to it. Not much to this one and without a doubt, the worst Unibroue beer I've ever had.

2.33/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured cold into an American Pint glass.

Pour - beautiful orange-white with a fantastic two finger head. Small bubbles and a cloudy thickness that seems to be the trademark of this breweries flagship offerings. Head is creamy, thick and sticks around for a good while.

Nose - bake an apple pie with no cinnamon - there ya go. Thick, fruity and all sweetness in this nose.

Taste - and then it goes south. After sipping, reassessing, and sipping again I have come to one conclusion: This is apple cider. A strong, acidic, alcoholic apple cider. Strong fruity flavor, notes of berries, cedar and lemon citrus do nothing to stand up to the granny smith apples you will taste for hours after this beer is done. Way too fruity for my liking - honestly, it tastes like a jug of October cider that's been out in the sun too long.

Mouthfeel - chunky, decent carb but very tough to forget - and not in a good way. I am not happy about this choice.

Drinkability - no way, no how. I cant get into this beer. Way too sweet, way too punchy - i feel kind of hoodwinked by this one.

For shame...

2.33/5  rDev -35.3%

Light yellow in color with a slight cloudiness. Pours a big head, almost like a sparkling cider or champagne.

Seemed to have a slightly higher level of carbonation than most beers

Has a slight smell of granny smith and something else... maybe yeast?

Taste was not particularly pleasing to me and was about the most disappointing aspect of this beer. It tasted vaguely like granny smith, but had other aspects to it that I just didn’t like to well.

2.34/5  rDev -35%

My wife loves this beer so I decided to give it a go.

Appearance - Pours a cloudy golden body with a nice 1 inch head. Darker gold toward the top and lighter toward the bottom. Lacing is minimal.

Smell - So, if I wanted this much apple I would just eat a damn apple. It smells pretty refreshing though. I can already tell this is going to be a summer beer. I obviously smell apples here (maybe green ones) and a bit of grape. Maybe even a little vanilla It reminds me of a glass of pinot grigio. The hops are light and grassy. Can't smell much malt over the pungent apple...

Taste - It starts off a little more bitter than I thought it would. The hops take over before the apple even hits you. Of course the apple is there, but it isn't as strong as it smells. This beer tastes more of a weak cider than an actual beer. Eh...

Mouthfeel - Not very impressed by the watered down texture. I wish it was more creamy. Carbonation is moderate.

Overall - No thanks. It reminds me more of a cider/sparkling white wine than an actual beer. I give it credit for trying to be different, but there is a line to draw.

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue