Éphémère (Apple) - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-21-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Éphémère (Apple) Alström Bros
HomeRunBaker

Rhode Island

3.15/5  rDev -12.3%

I was a little disappointed with Éphémère. I was expecting a strong apple, almost cider-like taste, which isn't what I got. It smelled great in the glass, similar to apple juice. The taste, though was just average. There was definitely apple there, but it was weak. The apple taste gave the beer some sweetness which was nice, but I was hoping for something stronger. Still a decent experience though.

06-11-2008 03:43:01 | More by HomeRunBaker
elniko

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into Stella Glass

A: Light amber, murky in glass, finger of head that quickly dissipated.

S: Apples of course, but not overwhelming. Granny Smith smell with slightly sour scent.

T & M: Apple is apparent but does not overpower the brew either. Not much on the after taste, a little watery going down. Mouthful is full of carbonation, very enjoyable.

D: Definitely drinkable, don't know if I would want to have more than a few in a sitting. Not really a session beer but then again I don't think many fruit beers are. Unibroue continues to amaze me as I try their various brews.

06-08-2008 01:48:28 | More by elniko
grub

Ontario (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

sampled on tap at volo may 29/08.

pours hazy gold with a very small dense white head. the head drops fast and leaves spotty lace.

aroma is good. alcohol. strong green apple, almost like a jolly rancher. wheat bread. crackers. bit of grain. there's a nice sour component to it too, which seems to be more from the apples than any kind of funk. bit of caramel. just a touch of the unibroue house yeast and its characteristic spice.

taste is ok. low bitterness level. floral. the apple comes across slightly soapy and a bit artificial. light alcohol. white bread. bit of biscuit. bit of that jolly rancher thing again, but without most of the sourness. bit of spice, mostly just the unibroue yeast again.

mouthfeel is good. very fine well integrated medium carbonation level. medium-light body with a fairly dry finish.

drinkability is ok. the nose was good, but the taste was a big disappointment. nicely balanced with the alcohol hidden fairly well, but just unimpressive and slightly disappointing overall.

06-03-2008 20:20:30 | More by grub
Jmamay22

2.33/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours a cloudy pale yellow with an egg shell colored white head. Eventually the head settles to a thick collar.

Very strong scent of apple that seems to overwhelm the rest of the beer. What is beneath the apple is a hint of wheat and if I try hard I begin imagining some lemon zest.

I'm trying to enjoy this as I remember my last bottle being a bit better, but it is coming off as displeasing and reminiscent of a sour apple bubalicious bubble gum. Initially sweet, but moves on towards a dry finish.

Mouthfeel is very lively and light, but the flavor and scent make for a beer that is difficult to finish. I would not recommend this. Seems akin to a Smirnoff product.

05-21-2008 22:00:30 | More by Jmamay22
Lukie

Australia

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured out a cloudy haze of golden straw. Big frothy sparkling head with a slight tinge of mellow green.

As soon as the bottle was opened you could smell the apple. Sweet vanilla custard, apple tart sweetness, and some cinnamon spice. It smells like a warm apple pie overall.

Tastes of tarty apple, with lingering sweetness. Cinnamon and some slight all spices round off the pallet. There is no hint of hop character at all.

I have heard mixed opinions of this, but for a White Ale style, this is fantastic. Easy to drink and absolutely perfect for the hot Australian climate.

05-20-2008 04:56:24 | More by Lukie
drxandy

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Poured from 12oz bottle into marquis by Waterford white wine glass, before opening/pouring i agitated the bottle to bring the yeast back into play, as I like it.

Smells of Belgian yeast. sweet apple sourness, pale malt, almost cotton candy smelling

On first taste, I said yum! Extremely easy to drink, sweetness matched by a nice mellowness of yeast. Carbonation brings out some interesting flavors, candi sugar sweetness, almost melony perhaps from the curaco and coriander, bananas, very crisp - when swished in the mouth, the taste completely changes. With swishing, the carbonation becomes so intense that it reminds me of sucking on an alka-seltzer almost.. kinda weird but interesting

mouthfeel is great, well balanaced, foamy and crisp

I paired with a hot sauce laden burrito and after my mouth was on fire, the only thing i could taste was straight carbonated apple.

A fine unibroue beverage, one that anyone can enjoy.

05-14-2008 17:48:08 | More by drxandy
grahambo

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

A: This beers poured a clear yellow/gold much like a granny smith apple cider, with a bright white head that quickly came down to a lace that stayed until the end.

S: Granny Smith apples and a bready scent from the Unibroue yeast.

T: Sour apples at the start then a bit of light wheat malt finishing with the yeast character expected from the brewer. As others have said this beer was a little less flavorful than I had expected.

M: Thin but the carbonation level was appropriate and was very refreshing.

D: I would have no problem sharing a few bottles of this on a nice summer afternoon, it was refreshing and had a nice if understated flavor profile.

Sidenote: Paired very well with a chicken curry stir fry.

05-14-2008 14:55:32 | More by grahambo
kwakwhore

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Light gold pour into a Duvel tulip glass. White head dissipates quickly into ring around the beer.
Light aromas of spice and the ubiquitous Unibroue yeast, a quick shot of green apple and some lingering tart apple.
Lightly tart flavor with a hint of apple but not enough to be overwhelming. Less flavor than I'm used to from a Unibroue beer.
Mouthfeel is on the thin side, but nicely carbonated.
Easy to drink, but fruit flavored beers are not my thing but I could see having one of these on a hot summer day as a refresher.

05-14-2008 03:17:54 | More by kwakwhore
Biggness

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

This poured a light amber, it smelled like an apple jolly rancher. I was suprised aftere the smell how mellow the flavor was in the beer, there was a slight taste of apple and an even slight flavor of beer. It was very easy to drink @ 5.5% alcohol. I would stick to the other beers from Unibroue this one was a bit of a let down after the many great ones I have tasted from them

05-11-2008 01:59:17 | More by Biggness
AgingWarrior

1.68/5  rDev -53.2%

Poured a very cloudy pale yellow green color with a yellow/green foamy head. Smell is dominated by apple. The taste is just bad.
I drank a couple of sips and poured the rest down the drain. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of fruit beers, but this was just nasty.

05-03-2008 13:42:09 | More by AgingWarrior
gpogo

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

A- Hazy pale straw. Thin exciting white head, unfortunately dissipates.

A- Incredibly aromatic, my nose doesn't need to be near the glass. A very sweet fruity aroma with a slight spiced smell.

T- The curacao and corriander fill my mouth with a light apple fruitiness. Dry finish.

M- Very lively, high carbonation. Very crisp

D- Very drinkable! The aroma alone is worth it, just pour a glass and enjoy the smell.

05-03-2008 00:10:32 | More by gpogo
umtox

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

A: A slightly fluorescent chartreuse, quite a beautiful beer. I sat and stared at this beer for a while after it was delivered. It sure is unique.

S: Tart apple, dry malt and a hint of caramel.

T: Light up front, dry carbonation giving way to tart apple. The fruit flavor is light and dry and certainly not overdone or overpowering.

M: Crisp and dry with fairly high carbonation. Very nice on the palate.

D: Very drinkable...the restrained flavor make this fruit beer very enjoyable. I could have see myself enjoying multiples. I would love to try this beer with seviche or any grilled seafood.

04-27-2008 12:08:11 | More by umtox
BoitSansSoif

France

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

A-Hazy whitish yellow w/white head.
S-Apple, pear, faint alcohol and spice, and light citrus. The aroma is very fresh, and the apples permeate the air as soon as you pop the bottle.
T-Faint apple and pear with light spice and on the sweet side. Flavor is delicate and very clean, and a strong witbier character emerges just before the finish.
M-Very light w/modest carbonation.
D-Aroma is wonderful. Paired w/a Danish Havarti. They went well together.

04-25-2008 07:03:41 | More by BoitSansSoif
Ben4881

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Éphémère (Apple)
Unibroue

Appearance:
Uncorking this beer I think best describes its opening. It is almost a banana yellow, which is transparent at first. After activating the sediment at the bottom of the bottle, I poured the rest. Watching the sediment swirl like marble was pure enjoyment. Now the beer has an unfiltered hefeweisen appearance. The sheet white head erupts with countless effervescent bubbles that collect and foam like whipped topping. Bubbles like champagne, as the head dissipates quite rapidly, and looks like a hefeweisen ... interesting indeed.

Smell:
Granny smith apple tart with a yeasty backdrop dominates the bouquet. I could smell the apples the instant I popped the top off the bottle, which sounded more like an uncorking of a champagne bottle than opening a beer. I detect a hint of other spices in the nose, though I can't put my finger on it...

Taste:
It's hard to get a sense of the flavor right away. The bubbles get in the way. Upon swallowing, flavor emerges. First it's the sweetness and tart of an apple. Then it dries out, before giving way to sweet caramel malt and apple aftershock. I have a sweet tooth and I dig a heavy caramel apple. This is quite an unexpected treat.

Mouthfeel:
Bubble city. This Éphémère is "ephervescent" and it's difficult to find the body in this beer beneath all the bubbles. It is there initially, but the bubbles lighten the mood quick. If Unibroue wanted a champagne feel, they certainly hit the target. Well done.

Drinkability:
As I mentioned earlier, I do have a sweet tooth and this beer delivers. It has a dryness to it that makes it drinkable, and the malt aftertaste reminds me I am drinking a beer. Yet, the caramel quality to the malt makes me think I am eating a caramel apple. In which case, I don't think my stomach could handle another one at the moment. The bubbly lightness makes it a great beer to offer a new convert. I will definitely have another, just not tonight.

04-22-2008 03:34:27 | More by Ben4881
Portertime

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

I was expecting an overly sweet almost Smirnoff Ice flavor to this beer, I don't really know why. I was pleasently surprised though. Poured a hazy honey color. The nose was a powerful green apple smell almost reminiscent of a sour apple Jollie Rancher but not quite os synthetic. Taste of pleasant tart green apples but not too overpowering. It was pretty well balanced. Very tolerable.

04-21-2008 21:59:59 | More by Portertime
shabbtastic

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

A - Poured a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. A two finger fizzy white head with awesome carbonation. A pale cloudy golden color with nice sticky lacing.

S - A strong scent of green apples are apparent as soon as you pry the cap. Great yeasty banana followed.

T - Light, crisp and refreshing. Sweet pear and sour apple dominate the palate initially, followed by a nice balance of bready yeast.

M - Light and bubbly, very refreshing light bodied white ale.

D - Perfect for a warm afternoon. Delightful ale for a change of pace, light enough to enjoy more than one. Recommended.

04-21-2008 13:43:49 | More by shabbtastic
avalon07

South Carolina

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

A: When I poured this one from a bottle to a pint glass it had a yellowish color and about a half inch of head. The head didn't last, but there was decent lacing. Also, there was a quite a bit of sediment floating around.

S: As soon as you open the bottle - not even getting your nose close it - there's the aroma of green apples. When you do smell it, there's a nice mix of the apples, yeast and malt. extremely pleasing.

T: While the apples dominate the flavor, you do get a good amount of complexity here. It's malty, packed with yeast and has a little hops.

M: A vibrant mouthfeel, with a high carbonation rate and a slick finish. This is definitely a full-bodied beer.

D: While I don't drink fruit beers all that often - they're too sweet - this one is pretty solid. Of course, this depends on your tolerance for apples.

04-21-2008 13:24:24 | More by avalon07
Atron67

Wisconsin

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

A- so when i poured i got a cloudy yellow/golden color with an inch thick of head on top. it fell down rather quickly but its not that surprizing. also had big yeast chunks that settled to the glass after pouring

S- the apples are there, idk if its my recent comparison to pomme lindemans that makes me think that its not that strong, but the latter is stronger, then theres a definite strong yeast charachter with a belgian type phenolic & estery charachter that is pretty wierd with the apples. there are times where i see it going pretty well but othertimes i take a sniff and am immediately grossed out for a second.... idk mixed feelings

T- reminds me of a light wheat beer thats been dosed with apples. almost like a german breakfast weizen, minus the awesome phenolic clove charachter that they have. good wheat charachter and a definite apple punch to it, the apples kinda overpower the hops and leave with a slight sweet flavor, but idk how much you can avoid it with fruit beers. (other than fruit stouts), there is a light phenolic charachter on the finish,. about midway throguh the high carbonation temporarily hides everything else giving you only a high acidic taste. then the finish is better than the first half. the wheat comes through more, the apple seems more subdued.

M- high carbonation which i let die down a bit by shaking, it has a light body and smooth finish, leaves after only a slight linger

d- ehh, not huge on fruit beers, but better than some other apple things ive had,

04-20-2008 02:17:06 | More by Atron67
maddogruss

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug.

A: Pours a cloudy, yellow body with a small white head. The had had low retention with minimal lacing along the sides of the glass until the finish.

S: A nice, sweet, apple smell. Hints of a gummy bear smell inn the undertones.

T: A slight, apple taste with a sweet, gummy bear aftertaste.

M: Highly carbonated beer. I felt that this high carbonation definitely took away from the drinking experience of the beer, overall.

D: Ok drinkability but, as noted above, the mouthfeel took away from the overall enjoyment of the beer. It had more of a gummy bear taste as opposed to a apple taste. Ok drinkability, but not too enjoyable.

04-18-2008 02:06:12 | More by maddogruss
MyGoodness

3.05/5  rDev -15%

This was a strange beer. It wasn't as bad as I feared, but it wasn't exactly the greatest drink ever. It was very light in colour, like a dark apple cider actually, and it reeked of apples and flowers. The pour was nothing remarkable, and the lacing it left was pretty weak. The taste was not bad; it was sweeter than I usually like, but it was still drinkable. Not something I would keep in my fridge, but my friends (who are more into cosmos and the like) declared themselves fans.

04-17-2008 05:12:02 | More by MyGoodness
KeefD

2.73/5  rDev -24%

Definitely not the best of the Unibroue beers. Apple scent and taste is most present and tastes more like an apple wine cooler than a beer. Carbonation is super-high, yet it's very smooth to drink. The high carbonation is actually nice for a beer like this. There was no head or lacing, and it goes down quick. Much quicker than Uni's other beers such as La Fin Du Monde, which you don't want to drink fast just to get rid of it sooner like I wanted to do with this beer.

Sorry. I just want my beer to taste like beer!

04-15-2008 05:30:43 | More by KeefD
WaveRebel51

Nebraska

4.2/5  rDev +17%

This was surprisingly good. The aroma was not overpowering -- there's definitely apple but it has a very terrific fruit scent. The apple flavors mix well with the other fruity esters and the other species. I found this very tasty and while it is sweet, it is not overly sweet or cloying. Definitely worth a try.

04-04-2008 02:05:58 | More by WaveRebel51
becktone

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Eye: Poured from a caged and corked 750. Color is a hazy amber color, kinda like a cider but not quite as dark. It would look like apple juice or cider if it were but a shade darker. Not much to the head but a film and lacing isn't really present.

Nose: Definitely smells of green apples, granny smith ones to be sure-a bit of that sour type apple. Get some wheat aroma as well some hints of coriander. Curacao is also there as the label suggests. Would I be able to put my finger on it if the label hadn't outright said it is in there, not sure, but I would've been able to tell you there there is something in there that is sweet and not belonging to the apple, wheat or coriander aroma.

Tongue: Nice blend of apple flavor, some wheat malt, and coriander, which is very apparent. Very dry. Pretty simple beer, not much to it, kinda like a cider, but not so much so. I want to keep looking for more in this beer, but there just doesn't seem to be much more to it.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: As I mentioned before this beer is dry, very dry. That was the first thing that hit me when it hit the palate. It also has a champagne character in the mouth-highly carbonated with a fairly light body, goes along nicely with the dry character. This isn't a brew that I'd go out looking for again. Its not bad, but there is just nothing special about it. And for the price I don't think that its quite worth it. It is, however, worth a try...I just won't be coming back to it anytime soon.

03-28-2008 03:07:29 | More by becktone
beerthulhu

4.43/5  rDev +23.4%

A: Poured a very cloudy light tangerine color with a thin, creamy white head that soon diminished to a sparse layering. There were huge (1 cm) bran flake like floaties that danced up and down in the glass from the strong aggressive nature of the beer.

S: The nose was stong and dominate with apple sauce, fresh lemons, coriander and pears. There was a nice wheaty quality in the scent as well.

T: slightly acidic and very fizzy with green apples, fresh citrus (lemons) and a nice wheaty malting. You can definitely detect the strong presence of apple juice used in this brew. The beer finished with a sharp and pronounced flavor of green apples, pears, and a light peppery spicing. The wheat malting was truly appreciated and accented the spiciness of this beer. The finish was very crisp, refreshing, and had a good carbonation bite. Overall a beautiful well rounded and soft flavor.

M: tingly from the aggressive carbonation with some sour green apples, pears, and freshly squeezed lemons. The texture was creamy and very soft.

D: A very sweet-n-tart flavored wit with spicy green apples making for a great summer time picnic beer that drank like a wine cooler. Could easily down these on a hot summer day and not tire of it, very refreshing.

03-11-2008 00:46:20 | More by beerthulhu
rodenbach99

Quebec (Canada)

3.23/5  rDev -10%

750ml brown bottle with cork

A: clear wheat colour, some head with small bubbles.
S: nice inviting nose at the pour of granny smith apples, more difficult to persee as the beer gets hotter.
T: tart taste after a while, granny smith's apple at the begining.
M: medium-body
D: this is a good beer when it's pour but half-haour later it's more than ordinary.

03-10-2008 03:00:39 | More by rodenbach99