Éphémère (Apple) - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-21-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Éphémère (Apple) Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

I don't want to repeat too much of what has already been said, so I just want to add on that in addition to the granny smith apple juice taste, I actually tasted hints of some sort of medicinal flavor; mainly in the aftertaste. It was hard to put a finger on because it was somehow a familiar taste, but that was actually what sort of ruined the flavor for me overall. It was still fairly drinkable, but the smell was the highlight for me. This is the only apple flavored beer I've had to date and with that being said it is still decent and worth trying.

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance - Thin murky yellow with a frothy white head.

Aroma -Green apples and caramel with hints of yogurt.

Mouthfeel - Light fizzy carbonation.

Taste -Sour granny smith apple flavor up front that finishes with flavors of sweet golden delicious apples.

Overall - Fantastic brew.

2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

GLASS: Unibroue Tulip Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

Pours a crystal clear dark golden color. Nice big head that dissipates rather quickly. Minimal foamy lacing, almost non-existant.

Smells like yeasty sugarcakes, topped with apples and cotton candy. Apple smell is natural, not artificial. Big funky Belgian-like yeast notes. Spicey notes of coriander.

Espscially after the way this smells, I expected the apple to be more prominent. It's very subdued and mellow. Tastes very much like a 'light' cider with a little extra body.
Smells wonderful, but misleads you to the point of being disappointed by the actual flavor.

Feels similar to an ale, in body. Light and crisp, yet mantains a slight touch of creaminess.

At only 5.5% abv, there is nothing here to draw me back. If I have an urge for something like this, I'd rather have a cider.

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mug

A_Very lively, semi-translucent, hay color. Copious white, sea-foam head is bubbling up and down. Really gorgeous. Bubbles rising constantly all around. Only thing not making it a 5: wish the color was a bit brighter

S_Obvious green apple, wet wood, slightly dank

T_Very tart, green apple, very lively. Sweet fruit aftertaste

M_Light body, extremely carbonated. More like a sparkling fruit juice than a beer

D_Hardly any alcohol taste, feels like Welch's. Taste is a little strong, don't want to have too much more

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured into new belgium globe glass.

Color is like apple cidar/ apple sauce. Very hazy. Thin white head, that leaves little lace. There is also little sediment particles floating around.

Smell is of sour green apple. The malts seem to be carmolized. Taste is very sour/bitter. Heavy on the green apples. It taste similar to cidar.

Mouthfeel is very bitter, but goes down smooth. Leaves a crisp aftertaste. Nice carbonation.

Overall, this was a pretty easy to drink beer. It was a little bitter, but that was expected and it wasn't too overwhelming. It was a nice change from the regular beer. I'd recommend at least a try of this beer.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

A - poured a hazy gold color that produced a foamy white head that left a an average amount of lacing around the glass

S - smelled strongly of granny smith apples

T - strong representation of the granny smith apples, with some grainy tastes

M - light bodied with more than moderate amounts of carbonation

D - very good if you like granny smiths, but avoid if you don't like them or sour things

2.63/5  rDev -26.7%

Ephemere Apple is a cloudy, sparkling yellow ale with with a few yeast particles in it. It has a small white head that disappears rather quickly. The primary aroma is doughy yeast with light lemon, apple and coriander. The flavor is the typically balanced Unibroue profile-- sweet, bitter and sour-- light in this case. It has a light and lively mouth feel. The flavor turns from baked apple to a touch of bitter orange in the short, clean finish.
(rated Feb 8, 2007)

4.2/5  rDev +17%

From a tap @ Stubbies in Gainesville in a Unibroue nonic.

Very hazy golden color with a one-finger white head that was very foamy, decent retention that left a very nice lacing down the glass.

Sweet and sour apples on the nose, almost candy like. Not a whole lot else. Not sure if the bottle is different but the aroma was strong.

Tasted of sweet and sour apples, again almost candy like. A little bit of a breadiness that showed that was likely due to the yeast but apples stole the show here.

Mouthfeel was nice, the carbonation was right on with this one and the bready taste also made for a nice chewiness in the mouth.

Very easy to drink, had it with currywurst and apple sauce and it went great with the meal. Had no problem drinking the pint and would have asked for another if it weren't for work in a few hours.

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy goldenrod, with a big puffy head - fizzy and soapy.

S: Jolly Rancher apple at first (artificial), though some natural Granny Smith comes out. Lighter than I thought it would be.

T: Tastes a lot like a light cider. Sweet Granny Smith apples, light sugar and acidity.

M: Way too carbonated to be drinkable on first pour. After coaxing some carbon dioxide out, I find a rather light-bodied brew, tart, pretty fizzy mouthfeel.

D: An interesting little fruit beer, it had enough flavour to keep it interesting through the glass. A nice change of pace, though I'm glad I got the 12 oz. instead of the 750 - I don't think I could drink that much.

4.45/5  rDev +24%

Poured from twist off cap into Brooklyn Brewer thick flute that came with Local 1 giftpack from brewery.

Tall, very carbonated head on an exceptionally pale color.

Instead sweet aroma of green apple. Green apple aroma subdues after head gives way.

Strong, but pleasant green apple taste, but balanced well by a very dry finish. Is has the taste of a cider, with the mouthfeel of an ale. A great balance between the two.

Very dry finish and wonderful mouthfeel.

A very balanced and wonderfully drinkable beer.

As with a cider, this would go great with a pork dish, but I think it could complement most meals.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Now this reminded me way too much of cider...

Appearance was cider looking. Straw goldish hue, with a fizzy head that disappeared rather quickily

It smelled really strongly of apples. Also smelled like cider.

Now it was rather tasty. Great balance between the spices and the fruitiness.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours hazy yellow with a huge white head. Granny Smith abounds in the nose, like a cider. Light, bubbly mouthfeel that tends to get too bubbly and make the beer a bit acidic. Tart apples and spice throughout, with some pear flavors. Lots of fruit, not much beer, but good.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

750ml
best by 4-20-08 sampled on 12-14-08

Pours a cloudy yellow with hints of orange, with lots of sediment left in the bottle, and a big puffy white head. Booming nose of green apples paired with sweet malt and that classic Unibroue yeast character. Much of the same carries over into the flavor, slightly tart and cider-like with hints of acidity and mild oxidation, sweet pale malt, and a dominant yeast presence. Grainy in body, this beer is definitely on the decline, when fresh the green apple flavor is alot more pronounced and refreshing, the carbonation has slowed down alot as well. One of my favorite "flavored" beers when fresh, but make sure you check the date...

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Pours a light gold color with some cloudiness present. The white head topped out at about one inch and turned to a nice white cap in a short amount of time. A healthy amount of lace is left behind in the glass.

S - Aroma is mild but still pleasant for the most part. Some fruity apple aromas really stand out in front. Starts out similar to green apple but eventually turns to a sweeter red apple aroma. There is a sugary pale malt aroma that brings up the rear. Alcohol is barely noticeable.

T - Not nearly the amount of apple that I was expecting. Still follows the smell though. Starts out tart and green and turns to red and sweet. A touch of Belgian yeast flavors are present but stay pretty far out of the way. The malt base is light but evident towards the end. Pale malt and white bread is what I'm getting.

M - Light bodied with a healthy amount of carbonation that works well for this beer. Finish is sweet, fruity, and clean.

D - Drinkability is good. I can see where this would be a very refreshing choice on a hot summer day. The apple flavor works well for the style of beer Unibroue has paired it with. Really kind of shocked at how quickly this beer tends to disappear. Alcohol is almost completely hidden and really helps with this category alot. Another good brew from the guys up in Canada. Glad I got the chance to try it.

2.83/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy dull yellowish with a small white head. The head drops kinda fast but it's kept alive by good carbonation.

Smell: Smells like tart green apples. The wheat kind of clashes with the green apples to create a somewhat unlikeable funk.

Taste: Kind of blah... I like green apples but this is disappointing.

This one is definitely skippable. If I ever pick up a Unibroue variety pack again I'll keep the La Fin Dumonde's for myself and give this apple junk away to a friend(or enemy).

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle exactly like the one pictured above. Freshness date of 2 19 10. Poured into my clean, clear Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale pint glass.

A Cloudy brownish golden body with a head that was impressive but dissapeared into the thinnest of bubbles rising to the top within about one minute.

S Some apple but really a grainy, malt distant smell. Not a really sweet smell at all. Certainly some distant green apple is able to be smelled.

T Interesting. A nice, light apple taste of green apple. This is going to be weird but the taste actually reminds me of a smell...those scratch and sniffs from the 80's. They had a green apple one and this beer is very much cut from that same cloth. Aftertaste does not last that long but it has been 90 seconds since my last taste and I can taste a hint of it still. The label says that the beer includes Coriander and Curacao. I cannot say that my taste has isolated those tastes but I suppose that there are some spices tastable.

M Light with some carbonation. Wet and goes down easy. Sort of feels like a champagne.

D Really good as it is a light beer with a pleasant green apple sense to it.

Notes: It is just fine and a possible alternative for people who don't like the "big" beers offered by Unibroue.

1.75/5  rDev -51.3%

750mL chilled bottle poured into a glass. Tasted immediately -- no good, so I let it warm up. Still no good. Er??

This was pretty disappointing and I drank it mainly because I'd spent something like $8 on it. I'm clearly unenthusiastic, so please pardon my sparse review.

A: The carbonation was very active. Clear wheat-like golden color.

S: Noticeable smell of sour green apples, coriander. I don't get the Jolly Rancher comparison, but I agree it's a strong smell.

T: Tasted like an apple wheat beer. Sour green apple, a little yeast, and wheat and coriander near the finish. I'm not sure what style this is exactly (an apple-ish take on a witbier?), but it's fairly mild and simplistic-tasting. The carbonation also makes it feel very foamy and watery.

M: Thin body, lots of carbonation that made it difficult to finish. I'm talking ridiculously high carbonation, like they put in 3 tablets of Alka-Seltzer. Spent more time burping than actually sipping.

D: I definitely won't have another.

Really disappointed in such an expensive beer.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a golden yellow color, very hazy with a huge fluffy white head with good retention and lacing. Smell I actually enjoyed. It was a combo of a typical Belgian (yeast and bread) with a hint of Granny Smith apples. Actual Granny Smiths. The smell wasnt too dominating which I was glad. If the apple smell was too strong I guarentee I wouldnt have liked it. The taste wasnt too good I thought. It tasted like a very bland wheat beer. There was a nice apple aftertaste, but wasnt really enough to save it. Overall very boring. Mouthfeel was light and somewhat crisp I thought for it not having the highest carbonation. Overall a unique beer, and good for a fruit beer, but I've had several better.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a very cloudy yellow with a large head and lots of ascending bubbles. Not much for lacing but a thick head retains throughout. Smell is of full on green apples, taste is the same and has a bit of a sour kick to it. Quite an odd beer but I enjoyed it. For such a prestigious brewery I was expecting a bit more taste, as this compares to almost a Magic Hat #9 or Harpoon UFO Raspberry/Blueberry in terms of body/mouthfeel/drinkability. Not bad, but I'm sure they can do better.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Opened with a "pop". Thick, frothy off white head, steady slow moving bubbles. Pale lemon appearance to begin with, only slightly hazy, murkier honey-hued on the second pour. The smell was of fresh cut green apple, tart, the juice of large green grapes ... I'm interested.

I can't say the taste appealed to me as much as I expected it too. Lots of yeast presence, bitter, tart, plum, sourness although not offensive. I found a full, cleansing mouthfeel although the body was on the thin side. Marmalade, fruit zest finish but I found it all a bit unsettling. By half glass, the carbonation was no longer a feature, not much lacing; flashes of ginger in the mix now but more like ginger ale than ginger. The aftertaste was a bit rougher than I expected.
Second pour from the large bottle had plenty of yeast, vigorous tall head again but much the same overall impressions. Maybe fruit beers aren't going to be my favourite; this is worth a try but didn't particularly win me over.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured to a cloudy golden color with thin white head that dissipated fairly quickly and left okay lacing. Strong aroma was of green apples was evident from the start and persistent throughout. The mouthfeel was somewhat tingly and well carbonated, with the flavor being a somewhat tart extension of the nose. Finish started out sour, but then trended toward sweet as the malt kicked in.

Truly something different on a hot summer night.

3.15/5  rDev -12.3%

Apple beer may not be my thing, but this beer is pretty good!
It pours well with some head and is not overly sweet. The apple is not over powering but make no mistake about it this is an apple beer!

For those looking for a bneer for a wife, or ggirlfriend this is the beer you will want to try!

2.13/5  rDev -40.7%

12 oz bottle purchased as part of an 8 bottle mixed pack from Unibroue purchased at Whole Foods in Duluth, GA and poured into a shaker pint glass.

A: I think this category is too broad to compare them by appearance so I am ranking it on how likely I would want to try it based on seeing it in a glass. I could really take or leave this one based on appearance. There was really no head to speak of. It had a wispy coating of bubbles that was constantly replenished from a geyser of bubbles from the bottom of the glass. It is a clear wheat-like golden color in the glass. No head and therefore no retention or lacing points here.

S: Smells like a sour green apple with hints of coriander spice. Unfortunately it reminds me of an apple jolly rancher.

T: See the smell explanation and replace smells with tastes. Just not my cup of tea.

M: Very thin body. The carbonation is very prickly in the mouth. It almost seems astringent.

D: I guess as far as being sessionable, it could be if you love eating sour apple jolly ranchers one after another. It is not something I would want attempt to do though.

I love Unibroue, and I have really enjoyed this mix pack. However, I really wish they had left this one out of the mix.

2.83/5  rDev -21.2%

drank at home on 9.26.08, poured from bottle into wide mouth glass.

crisp, clear golden color. decent head but dissipated almost immediately.

the smell was wow in a totally bad way. I knew this was an apple beer, but the apple smell of this brew was a nasty meat smell. that was the first thing that came to my mind. and then thought of rotten cheese. seriously, I would think I had a skunked beer by the way this thing smelled.

the taste was tart apple. It wasn't near as bad as the smell, but was very tart. this was more like a bad wine than a beer. it got slightly better as it went on and as it warmed up. but that is about it.

i had it. won't ever have it again.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

Pale golden colour with voluminous snowy head when first poured, head is not very dense though so departs quite quickly, steady lagery bead and not much lacing to speak of. Not that great, but it's what I was expecting.

Nose is really quite awful, to be perfectly honest. It's kind of an unfortunate mélange of aromas, none of which stands out, but there is a distinct artificial apple ester on the nose but it's uncomfortably blended with a sour character which just makes it smell like off fruit. If I'm to be perfectly honest, it has a kind of vomit aspect to it. It's not that intense and so it's passable, but it really doesn't bode well for the drinking.

Taste has the same characters, but the major distinction is that they're blended better. In fact the palate is really quite well constructed. The vomitous nose hits you on first sipping but it dissipates into the distinctly apple flavour which is nevertheless subtle and uniquely bitter (unlike Floris Apple, which of course just tastes like apple juice). The finish is a light, refreshing bitterness that is a bit of a surprise but very, very welcome. It makes the whole thing palatable, crisp and really quite drinkable. The palate is quite a reasonable length, largely thanks to the bittering hops which just announce themselves on the mid-palate but stick around for the finale. Full, rounded mouthfeel that is kind of like having cotton wool in your mouth, in the most pleasant sense.

Overall, this is a brave, polarising kind of brew with unique characters and a very refreshing feel to it. All I can really say is, thank God it's Unibroue who made this one, because they really handle a potentially god-awful beer with an expert touch.

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue