Éphémère (Apple) - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-21-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Éphémère (Apple) Alström Bros
shirfan

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

Hazy golden with a thick, sticky head....Jolly Rancher Apple scent fairly explodes out of the glass.

Taste is typical Unibroue but with candyish, apple flavor... also reminds me of sour apple Laffy Taffy from back in grade school. Estery yeast and a chewy, sweet malt profile... slightly spicy in the background, but distant to the almost overpowering apple flavor. Almost tastes gimmicky there's so much... but this would be a good pick for girls that like alcopop. Lower ABV than most from this brewery, which is a smart move... drinkability is enhanced.

As it is, I'm a fan of Unibroue, I like apple flavored candy, so this is a winner... but with the winged fairy goddess on the bottle, and the sweet candy flavor, this is the happy hardcore of beer... enjoy it in small doses, but don't let anyone know.

06-23-2004 05:29:03 | More by shirfan
cbl2

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance:

A nice pale-gold with slight cloudiness, and plenty of carbonation that forms an extreme white head.

Smell:

Granny smith apples, with hints of cotton candy, and an underlying Belgian White quality is present due to the presence of the coriander.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Green apple Jolly Rancher that is slightly bitter. Interesting, but not as complex as I expected. Good, not great.

Note: 750 mL bottle, best before 5-29-05

06-21-2004 14:59:58 | More by cbl2
HiroProtagonist

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Éphémère (Apple) was served from a 750ml corked and caged brown bottle. In a Duvel tulip, the beer was a hazy golden-straw color, and was topped by an active and voluminous white head that left thick blanketing lacing. The nose was zesty with musty, sharp, and juicy tart apple aromas. Notes of coriander and a lovely rich floral component added the right touch. The taste was mellower than expected, with an initial creamy smooth coriander component, which became more tart and apple-spicy in the transition to an anticlimatic and subdued finish. Only a mild lingering coriander essence remained after the tart flavors abruptly dropped off. I did enjoy the interplay between the smooth coriander and the tart apple. The body was comfortably smooth and full and the carbonation was nice and fluffy. I found this beer to be an easy drinker for the style. Éphémère is an approachable fruity Belgian-style ale that won't wow you but should make for enjoyable beverage.

06-07-2004 04:11:57 | More by HiroProtagonist
PSUDREW

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Got myself the good ol' 22 oz bomber to sample. This is probably one of the most unique fruit beers I have ever had. I say unique becuase despite it dominate candy-like sweetness, I still found this rather enjoyable.

It pours a light, very fizzy yellow (ala coors, yes, that coors). Very thick, lusterous and foamy white head. Smells light, sweet, and a mix of lemony-grass types (wheat, hay, even some generic grass - no, not that kind)

The taste is a semi-candied sweet apple mixed with standard green apple flavor. But it was, in esence, almost jarringly sweet. And it's fizziness is surprising, almost on a macro-level. But the finish was surprising hoppy/citrus taste, I assume that is from the curacao. I didn't really notice and carriander, though. The finish was very nice, the citrus was a good compliment, which helped clean it up nicely and makes the sweetness alot more palatable.

Surprisingly refereshing, and higly drinkable, this could double in a lot of situation.

06-07-2004 03:23:46 | More by PSUDREW
Cwrw

Alberta (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +23.4%

I could smell the apples near the neck of the bottle before I popped the cork. This bottle I have aged for 8 months. That was not easy.
I sense certain differences from the other one I tried.

Cloudy, unfiltered-looking, with apple-juice colouration, light and dull yellow. The last glass(from the bottle) is thick and dense with sediment and lees. An almost aspirin-white head, creamy and smooth, went down to a minimal layer after a few minutes, leaving ultra-creamy lacing. The aroma is divine: strong musk smells, sweet candy, definite apple, yeasty like a hefeweizen, lightly detectable malt, and other fruits such as mango or peach. To me, it captures perfectly the crisp flavour of fresh apples, without too much sourness. It leaves the mouth with no doubts: this is a beer with apples, not cider. No excessive dryness, no unpleasant tartness.
The taste is ambrosial, again perfectly embodying ripe apples. At first the tongue senses some slight malt, much musk and yeast, and sweet candy flavours. In the middle is a little dryness akin to a good cider, and the finish is all apple. Perfect carbonation and good mouthfeel. Drinkability is high because it balances so well, and it is not particularly strong or pungent. Mmm. Give me this over a warm cider any winter evening. Some may find it quite similar to a hefe, but the apple must DOES make a big difference. Heavenly beer.

05-20-2004 09:15:04 | More by Cwrw
mntlover

Tennessee

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Yellow apple colored hazy brew, with nice white head that falls to thin ring of constant rising bubbles. Smells of good sour green apples dominates here. Tastes light crisp not at all sour like the smell just clean and refreshing with slight apple flavor, with a touch of yeasty bread flavor thrown in. Mouthfeel is medium light and bubbly too much so for my taste. Never been fan of over carbonated beer just never seems right on my tounge. Overall nice experience but was expecting something more.

05-17-2004 17:03:05 | More by mntlover
jlervine

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

Finally, I've picked a bottle of Ephemere that is carbonated! Hooray!

Poured a hazy golden yellow color with a white finely carbonated head. The head receded quickly to along the edges of the glass, bit of lacing across the top of the beer. The smell as I poured it from the bottle was sweet, honey-like, and loaded with green apples. The smell of the beer in my glass was little different, though the sweet honey character had mellow into a dull sweetness with the apples themselves. The taste is citric and tart, hint of apples, hint of residual sweetness right before a dry finish. Rather complex, moreso than what I was expecting. I'm still missing flavors because they rush by at full tilt. Mouthfeel is very tart, hint of sourness, very bubbly and light all over the tongue. This is a tasty beer, but not one I'll be rushing out to buy again. Well, not for me, anyway, but the missus will probably demand it again shortly...

05-12-2004 20:53:53 | More by jlervine
stegmakk

3.23/5  rDev -10%

Poured a nice straw with white head.
Aroma was great. Smelled of slightly tart granny smith apples, a little spice. The smell was strong and I couldn't wait to down this brew.
Taste...ummm...where did the apples go...taste was more corriander, and other spices with a HINT of apple. A complete 180 from the aroma. I still need to figure out that one. How it smells so good but tastes so bland.
Mouthfeel was good. It went down like it should.
Drinkability was low. I am having to cap this off after 1 glass to try it again later. I would not buy this ever again.

05-12-2004 04:46:05 | More by stegmakk
Zorro

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from a 750 ML Bottle, 2004 vintage Best before date 02-10-06.

Pours a cloudy lemon yellow brew.

Smell is a pleasant granny smith apple aroma with a scent of coriander and a hint of some other spice maybe lemons?

Taste is of mild FRESH green apples and a sweet and tart spiciness. The coriander in this comes through clearly. The Curacao in this can be tasted as the faint Earl Grey Tea flavor it has.

Mouthfeel is champagne.

A super refreshing brew, I hope Sleeman doesn’t kill this brewery and their wonderful beers.

05-04-2004 06:28:00 | More by Zorro
brewandbbq

New Hampshire

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

Had this one on draft at the Strange Brew Tavern, keg just tapped within a couple of days.
Small pillowy white head in a standard shaker pint glass,cloudy and gold to orange in color.
Aroma filled with Grannysmith apples,lemon and orange zest, spices,belgian qualities. Some bubblegum,cotton candy, and funkiness,slightly musty.
Flavor was hugely apples,refreshingly tart grannys. After the apples come a myriad of hidden treats. Soft peaches,pears,spices.
A faint hint of cinnamon,maybe some star anise (licorice).
The beer finishes nicely, crisp and lightly tart. Dry and barely astringent (like a apple peel).
Mouthfeel is medium with a great wheat tang and mild "gription" on the pallet.
This beer on tap goes down a lot quicker than the one thats been cellared for a couple of years. Nowhere near as complex, but a real treat to have one thats so fresh.

05-01-2004 18:52:20 | More by brewandbbq
StevieW

4.38/5  rDev +22%

12 oz bottle. Poured into Corsendonk glass. Gleaming light golden color. Nice dense bubbly off-white head. Not alot of apple aromas, more of a faint belgian yeasty smell, along with a certain fruitness. First taste has a tart sour apple flavor to it through. Very nicely balanced with that distinct belgian ale body. Nice, tight carbonation. Very good finishing hop crispness, all though the apple flavor is subtle but noticable. Very crisp dry finish with more sour apple snap. Medium to light bodied and very refreshing. Definitly worth a try.

04-30-2004 01:15:47 | More by StevieW
benmiliron

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

12 oz. bottle was free, thanks to babyhobbes!

Kind of a cloudy greyish color. Not very appealing to the eyes. Good smell though, like a flowery, appley beer. Taste is similar, not like cider at all (which I expected). More like a beer that's made with apples as a minor ingredient. Light tasting, especially for the Unibroue folks.

A good summer brew. I'd drink it again if it were available.

04-29-2004 05:28:45 | More by benmiliron
babyhobbes

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

This pours a nice golden color with a think white head. It smells strongly of apples but I don't really detect much else.

The taste is of apples and the finish is real crisp. The apple flavor isn't as overpowering as I expected. This brew is very refreshing and worth a try this summer.

04-26-2004 17:30:14 | More by babyhobbes
CortexBomb

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearance is nice hazy light yellowish and a thick head while the scent is, unsurprisingly, strongly apple tinged.

As for the taste...powerful! If you're in the mood for an incredibly sweet apple flavour without the harsher edge that ciders tend to have then you should give this one a try. I thought it was solid and it had a nice crisp finish which makes this a good warmer weather beer. My only knock is the one-dimensional nature, the sweet apple is there, but beyond that it's pretty plain.

Drinkability continues the all-around quality aspect of the beer.

04-25-2004 23:56:42 | More by CortexBomb
GeoffFromSJ

This beer smelled like apples and the smell was quite pleasant. It has a yellowish color but a nice head, appropriate for an apple drink. The taste is harder to judge. It does have a strong, sweet apple taste. That seems appropriate, so I don't think I think it is good and appropriate for what they were going for. The drinkability really takes a hit. Do you really need something so sweet? No. If you are in the mood for a hard cider, this may take its place. Very good for the summer.

04-24-2004 15:37:37 | More by GeoffFromSJ
cerevisiaephilus

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Beer looks ok. Nothing super about it. Little hazy, not yeast I don't think. Very straw gold color, very pale, white head. Nose is awsome! Beautiful apple smell from afar, but when you get up close, smells more like candied apples. Nice sugary caramel scent that is very mellow and smooth. Nothing sharp like the first green apple from afar scent.

Taste is very dry. Decent carbonation really carries all the flavors but also accentuates the sharp dryness...I would like a bit sweeter beer with the subtle apple taste. Not an overwhelming apple flavor, but its there. Also get some wit type spicy flavors but very sundued as well.

Mouthfeel is good for the style I suppose.

A drinkable beer if you're a girl...just kidding, but I'm looking for a little more flavor in a beer. Its drinkable like Coors light is drinkable.

04-23-2004 02:26:37 | More by cerevisiaephilus
Afterburner

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance: Pours a very pale straw gold with a faint greenish tint. Big, foamy, large-bead head presents itself, then sticks around for a moderate length of time. I was expecting it to retire much more quickly, but it surprised me.

Smell: As the mug sits on my desk, I can smell apples, apples, and more apples. If you just handed me a glass of this without telling me what it was, I'd assume it was a cider. Pulling it up for a closer sniff, I get some interesting caramel aromas. It puts me in mind of the midway at the Texas State Fair, and the booths that sell caramel-covered apples. Brown sugar also present.

Taste: Very interesting. The apples are the dominant flavor, though sadly I'm not familiar enough with apple varieties to point at what kind of apple. The caramel also comes through, which is nice, along with a faint hint of cinnamon. No real hop presence, but there's a noticable tannin astringency on the finish, sorta like what you'd get from chewing up apple peel.

Mouthfeel: Light, bubbly, and effervescent.

Drinkability: Reasonably drinkable, but I think the tannins would wear on me after a few.

Overall: A very interesting beer. Another winner from Unibroue. (For the time being, at any rate, since they got bought by Sleeman's.)

04-22-2004 00:20:21 | More by Afterburner
BeerAngel

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

This brew pours a clear pale golden color with an off-whte modest head. The smell consists of over-whelming apple along with some spicing. The taste is a quick splash of apple, banana, spices, and a little yeasty background. This is a thin bodied beer with a very dry champagne-like finish.

Notes: A very light beer with a big bold apple aroma that is just a little much. Seems like a belgian wit with an apple cider blend. Cheers!

04-12-2004 03:28:52 | More by BeerAngel
mschofield

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Starts as a sparkling clrear well carbonated gold, but once the yeast is swirled and added it turns cloudy, topped with a quickly bubbling two finger stark white head.
Strong aroma - apple fills up the surrounding area, some curaco, coriander, sweet.
Apple, apple core, grape, curaco and honey in the taste. The taste becomes fuller and fruitier when the yeast is added. Smells better than it tastes.
Crisp and dry, very dry almost like a cider, light body, powdery.

04-08-2004 22:10:19 | More by mschofield
Dukeofearl

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

Can you say apples? Can you say sharp, tart apples? Can you add maybe through a bit of pears and a slight hint of caramel (this may have been wishful thinking on my part) with earthiness? If so, then this is your beer. If you like different, unique, and something that stands on its own in the world, then this is your great beer.

It starts as a cloudy, hazy light yellow-gold with nothing but sour apples, and more sour apples. As such, it is a very good version of sour apple beer. But I guess I was thinking something a little more subtle. I have a hard time rating this beer, because it actually is pretty good at being what it is, but I am not a big sour apple fan, and therefore, this beer is not my favorite. Add the caramel and make it a caramel apple, and you have my vote. As is, I couldn't finish it.

04-05-2004 04:24:12 | More by Dukeofearl
far333

Connecticut

2.8/5  rDev -22%

Am I drinking the same beer as the others who have reviewed this, or was I just expecting something much different? Bright hazy yellow colored with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Nose has a hint of green apples, but is overpowered by the doughey, yeasty smell. Flavor is all yeast, way too strong. I had to hunt for the flavor of the apple, and was then even maybe only imagining it. I tried this with two other craft beer fans, and we all felt that the yeast overpowered and the apple barely surfaced.

04-01-2004 03:37:45 | More by far333
GreenWBush

Oregon

2.88/5  rDev -19.8%

Though 'best by '05', it still fizzed and foamed up psychotically.

Honeycombed head that results instantly tames itself and leave no lacing.

Nice yeast notes on the nose, classic banana and pear, but smothered by an overt case of cider envy. Too much like a Jolly Rancher.

The appearance is very applelike: cloudy and yellow like the meat of the fruit.

The taste is the same way - the apple overpowers everything. The 'everything' seems to be a dumbed down version of the Unibroue formula which is sad.

The Jolly Rancher comes back on the aftertaste. I can tell that there's a good beer in there somewhere, but it just has no chance to show itself.

03-30-2004 19:01:19 | More by GreenWBush
watermelonman

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

This poured to a bright apple-juice tone with a medium head.

The smell is of apples and fantastic. It lasts from the cork on through the bottle. The taste is also of apples, and almost close to cider but it isn't overwhelmingly full of fruit.

This is something completely different from the other beers I enjoy, but I think it's a nice change and that it's very well done.

03-25-2004 08:40:29 | More by watermelonman
soper2000

4.2/5  rDev +17%

The beer exploded from the 12 ounce bottle upon opening. It poured a beautiful, super clean gold color with a nice white head which subsided very quickly. Aroma is very dry with just a hint of apple comming through. Taste alludes to it's color; super clean and crisp with hints of apple and spice. This is one clean beer. Very very refreshing. Mouthfeel is fine and bubbly and drinkability is super high. This is a very solid beer. Could definitely be a summer time staple for me.

03-25-2004 00:39:02 | More by soper2000
Dubblebock

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

The apple Ephemere is certainly an interesting ale. Unibroue makes several different varieties of the Ephemere line, and I will have to try the others to do some taste comparisons. The first thing that I noticed was that this was more like a cider than a beer. Richly effervescent, light body and texture, and a definite tarty apple flavor. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy ciders a lot. I was just a little confused by the profile that this ale was giving me. I picked up a single 12 oz. sample to try for $2.39.

It poured well, with a nice 3/4 inch thick head that took a couple of minutes to dissipate. Light smell on this sample. The nose just wasn't overwhelming at all, all apple essence.

The taste was clearly dominated by the fruit. The malts and hops were deep in the background. Slight bitterness on the back of the tongue as the sample warmed. As I stated earlier, the taste coupled with the level of carbonation lent this ale a very, VERY cidery profile. I gave the taste a 3.5 after a lot of reflection. For what it is, it's good. Unfortunately it's also very one dimensional in character. Nothing hit the palate except for the apples.

Good mouthfeel. The sparkling effervescence was very refreshing. Very drinkable. This ale was user-friendly in just about every respect.

Bottom line was that I was just confused by this offering. I'm not sure if the attempt here was to make an ale that compares to apple ciders, or what exactly. I liked it, and I'd probably pick it up again sometime, but the next time I'm in a mood for something this fruity and sparkling, I'll just go and pick up a real cider. A strange and interesting ale for sure.

03-19-2004 15:50:16 | More by Dubblebock