Éphémère (Apple) - Unibroue

Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-21-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Éphémère (Apple) Alström Bros
3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

My wife's favorite beer, not mine. It poure a slightly cloudy pale yellow with a nice head. It had a tart odor to it, and more of a sour apple than sweet apple taste. Somewhat carbonated, felt OK in the mouth. A nice beer to drink a few of, but not something I'd want to drink all the time. A summer beer.

3.28/5  rDev -8.9%

a: cloudy golden yellow. Visible streams of debris forming interesting patterns.
s: Interesting scent. The area around the glass contains strong apple scents. Smelling the lid of the glass yeilds strong powery yeasts. I get the image of large yeast cakes I knew of when I made pizza in my tweenties.
t: medicine :(...strong yeasts with some apple.
m: sharp carbonation.
d: not a fan of apple flavored beers, so I'll say average.

3.3/5  rDev -8.3%

12oz bottle dated best-before 6-21-2007.

Poured a very pale peachy yellow with very big carbonation. Only a slight film of foam on top, but good lace on the sides. Smells quite sweet at first, with an earthy and smooth oatmeal-like graininess and a nose-ticklling apple tartness. Slightly chewy and earthy grain flavors plus a touch of hops up front, enlivened by green apple sweet and sour finish riding on the huge carbonation.

Earthy grains are somewhat out of place in my opinion. Nice finish, but not something I'd rush to go back to.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was surprised by this one. It came to my possesion through a Unibroue mixed 8 pack. I'm usually not a fan of fruit or vegtable beers in any way, but this one made some headway.

It appears light in color with a white head. The smell is obviously of apples.

The taste is of some malt with tart granny smith apple in the background. The apple flavor is not at all overpowering, and it compliments the brew nicely. I usually feel fruit beers overwhelm the palate with fruit, and not enough beer. This one does not.

Mouthfeel has a nice amount of carbonation, and the drinkablity is excellent. You could session this all day long on a nice summer day.

As good as a fruit beer gets in my mind.

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours a pale, hazy hay color with a sudsy white head that never really disappears. If I had to judge this one using my nose alone, I’d guess it were a cider; the appetizing apple aroma eclipses anything else that might be in there. And, while it’s certainly there, the apple (of the Granny Smith variety) is far more subdued in the flavor, which also includes acidic citrus, coriander, orange peel, and some grain that pulls it all together. Very light mouthfeel with subtle carbonation.

I would say that this brew is much closer in character to a witbier than any sort of fruit beer. But what ever it is, it’s a real treat; tart and acidic, but still delicate and refreshing. Highly recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +27.2%

wow unibroue impresses me again and again...

appearance: very light and bubbly. nice head. good amount of lacing.

smell: sweet apples all the way. faint touch of hops or citrus... couldn't tell

taste: wow, sweet apples all the way. very sweet. very appley (i know that's not a word). slightly tart.

mouthfeel: crisp, and refreshing. leaves you salivating for more.

drinkability: on a summer day i could drink these till september.

again, another great beer from unibroue. just wish the alcohol content was a bit higher, but i guess you can't win 'em all...

3.37/5  rDev -6.4%

Sampled with Teaser, poured a pale golden yellow into Leffe goblets. A thin layer of fine white foam atop the brew.

Aroma: I instantly smelt apples, like cider, but more enticing. The aplle became slightly bubblegummy, then yeasty with hints of spice and sweet malt. Possibly also a hint of Franco/Belgian yeast wouldn't be out of the question.

Taste: Nice, subtle, sweet apple, a hint of wheatish grainyness, candied apples leading to a dry finish. Very wheaty I find, almost Heffe like, maybe more Wit? Very light in the mouth for a fruit beer, good tasting, easy drinking, but no "wow" factor like the rest of the Unibroue range.

Not something I'd try again, but I'm curious as to the other Ephemere twists.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

A: Poured into a Lindemans Lambic glass, pours hazy yellow with lots of carbonation and a thick head (1/2 - 1") that fades into a thin layer. Lacing coats the glass as you make your way through it.

S: Can only smell a little bit of apple on this, hints of corriander and spice, some hops.

T: Not as strong of an apple flavor as I would like, the corriander is noticeably present, slight hint of citrus, light taste of hops. Overall a very light tasting beer.

M: Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Dry like champagne. Lots of carbonation rushes over your tongue.

D: Good, but not sure if I'd be up for more than one 750ml in a night. Just a good time to time type of beer.

Overall not a bad beer but I was hoping for more. Not going to give up on this one though, will probably buy again. Perhaps I will try some of the other flavors if I can find them.

2.68/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured from small Unibroue bottle. Expected some aroma of apples, but it was hard to detect. If I didn't have a clue from the bottle, I never would have identified it from smelling.

Taste was pretty bland. Just plain beer with a VERY light flavor of apples. Very light.

Didn't like it at all, I'd go as far as saying icky.

3.22/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a brown bottle. The label features a green apple and a fairy in almost a Parish style.

A: Very hazy like an unfiltered wheat. Poured with a big pure white head that dimished, but left chunky lacing.

S: Dominant green apple smell, some corriander. I also seem to get a touch of citrus from somewhere.

T: Again, apple presence is strong. Some spiciness. Almost has a dry champagne aspect between the dry finish and the carbonation. Somewhat like an unfiltered wheat with apple cider thrown in.

M: Coats the mouth. Does have quite a bit of carbonation.

D: Don't think I could go for one of these directly afterward.

Overall; I do like this beer as a divergence. It's a well-crafted beer, just not something I could drink all the time.

3.92/5  rDev +8.9%

On tap and Delaney's tap room. Light yellowish type color with a very small head that fades away quickly. As soon as the glass hit my table the only thing i could smell was green apples. The people sitting at my table also commented on the rich smell of apples. I found that there is a bit of a spicey aroma in the background that is well hidden by the strong smell of apple.
Quite a big apple flavor but the beer is also citrusy with a sour lemon flavor that leads into that spice I picked up in the nose. There is a definate yeastiness to this brew that gives mixes well with the small sour type characteristic. Very sweet with a nicely added spicey flavor.
This beer is very easy to drink and is quite delicious. Its light crispness contributes to its high drinkability. I'd drink this beer again and certainly plan to.

4.45/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As soon as I pop the gold foiled cap I get a rush of fresh cut green apple. Pours into my SN tulip a hazy golden yellow with a volumious active bubbly three finger head that has awesome retention. Aromas of ripe granny smith apple, orange peels and spicy lemon dusted grains. Vibrant earthy Unibroue yeast aromas. Very, very nice overall.

First sip brings a spicy, lemony zesty wheat grain flavor with big notes of coriander, citrus and a mellow green apple flavor. There's less green apple in the flavor than the nose leads you to believe, but it still leaves its mark wonderfully. Spicy yeastiness accentuates each sip with a light, fruity finish. A wonderfully refreshing and unique fruit beer.

Mouthfeel is rather light with a strong flow of carbonation that dances across my tongue. Ultra refreshing..I could seriously drink a lot of this brew, especially on a hot summer day. One of my new favorite fruit beers...I wish I could get a mixed 12pack with all the flavors. Well worth seeking out. Yum.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

Unibroue labels are always great, and this one is no exception. poured a cloudy dark yellow color with magnificient white puffy head that rapidly fell to a thin ring. Smell is a pleasant mixture of apples, coriander, and other spices. The bubbles seem to attack the nose. Taste is superb, with a nice combination of apples , coriander and othe spices, and a nice tartness, yet still sweet. The carbonation in the mouth is enjoyable, like champagne. Finish leaves a nice apple taste in the mouth , almost like a fresh apple pie. This was a very nice beer. I'm not much of a fan of fruit beers, but I truly enjoyed this one. Almost too easy drinking.

4.16/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance: Pours a pale honey color with a minimal fizzy white head. Looks much like champagne.

Smell: Fantastic. Smells like fresh, green apples.

Taste: The smell got my hopes up, but still a great-tasting beer. The apple taste is present but not overpowering and the beer has a nice champagne carbonation to it. Surprisingly, Unibroue's Belgian yeast flavor really comes through in this brew. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy, again, like champagne. Light bodied and doesn't leave any aftertaste or dry feeling in the mouth.

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable beer. The ABV isn't as high as most of Uni's other brews and the taste is very light and refreshing.

Another delicious brew from Unibroue. If you don't mind fruit flavors in your beer, this is a great one to try.

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

Unibroue Ephemere
1 PT 9.4 FL Oz
Served in a 16 oz pilsner glass

Pours a hazy orange color. Light in appearance.

Impressive nose with a fruity presence. I certainly detect whiffs of apples, oranges and cloves. Nice aroma.

Pressured mouthfeel with a clean, grainy taste. Citrus fruit and Belgian spice with a tart granny smith apple finish.

A well crafted fruit beer without question. Very enjoyable to sip on a warm day. Definitely recommended for those would like fruity beers and appreciate the Belgian yeast/clove combo.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Wow! This has got to be one the funkiest tastng beers ever. It pours a golden clear color with a nice lace. It actually looks like sparkling apple juice. Smells like apples and about nothing else maybe a little yeasty. It tastes like sweet acidic apple juice with a wheaty malty character. Very well balanced but definatly lacks complxity a quality I have come to expect from Unibrou.

4.32/5  rDev +20%

Big brown Unibroue bottle, best if drank by 2-10-2006.

Very, very nice pour. About as nice as a white beer can get. Perfect shade of honey yellow, perfect little head.

Smells of spicy Duvel fruits along with green apples and cloves. Burny. Wonderful. Just the perfect amount of fruit mixed with the Belgian Wheat goodness.

Taste good. The nose, basically, only slightly washed out by a grand fizziness that feels cool but kills the apples.

4.42/5  rDev +22.8%

This beer is one that is easy to find locally. I really love its champagne like qualities as well as the clear and ever presesnt apple aroma and flavor. not as cloying as many ciders, The green apple flavor blends well with the "beer" aspects, the doughy yeast, the soft biscuity malts and the faint hop presence. This is a beer to enjoy with lighter fare.

4.13/5  rDev +14.7%

Picked up a single at Whole Foods Market here in Madison. Stacking this one up against New Glarus' Apple Ale I had about a month ago which was superb.

Pours a golden/straw yellow with a neon greenish hue when held up to the light. Lively bubble action feeds a foamy white head that shrinks to a coating but stays for a while. Aroma is tart apples and some musty yeast/wheat - kind of like a sour Jolly Rancher. Taste is granny smith apples and grassy wheat. The apple is more subtle than in the New Glarus, more tart as well, but I just liked the Apple Ale better. Don't get me wrong, this is tasty, but I liked the sweeter cidery approach better than the tartness here. The mouthfeel is smooth and crisp like the Ale. This fruit beer certainly has more of a "beer" flavor than the Apple Ale, but I preferred the later. Still this is another good offering from Unibroue, so far so good from our friends North of the border.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

750 ml bottle best before 2/17/05. Pours a pale hazy yellow with a finger of dense whit head, pretty good retention. Big green apple aroma with some hints of lemon, bubblegum, and spices. Taste is a mild green apple upfront giving way to a clean wheaty malt and just the slightest tart aftertaste. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth yet has a highly carbonated bubbly effervescence---very nice, although it does lead to some strongly appled flavored burps. This is a really good fruit beer, not at all like an apple cider that most people would expect, and is a really nicely flavored but accessible beer.

3.96/5  rDev +10%

The Unibroue line of products continues to amaze me. I was very skeptical about this beer, thinking it would be a sidestep from some ciders I’ve tried. I was wrong, again. Huge granny smith effervescence, lager-like color with a huge head and cloudy pasteurization (lack thereof). This beer ended up being a very sweet Belgium type beer.

I was going to get a 4-pack of this, but I figured one was worth a shot, just in case I wasn't feeling it and didn't want the other three bottles. Turns out, though, I think it's pretty tasty, especially since it's still close to 100 degrees in Richmond, currently, and this is helping to quench the thirst and beat the goddamn heat.

Appearance: Huge head at first, though it dissipates rather quickly. Lacing is thick at first too, which somehow also dissipates rather quickly. The color, though, a thick and hazy straw yellow, along with the huge persistence of bubbles, are saving the appearance, and it turns out to be quite nice.

Smell: Though stupidly, I thought maybe this would be like the apple Smirnoff Ice stuff, and I feel bad now that the thought even entered my mind, especially since I like Unibroue so much. The apple, for a fruit beer, is more of a variable to enrich the difference and the taste. It's light, but instead of syrub or artificiality, it feels like real juice from granny smith apples. Also some slight bubblegum, candi sugar, and lemon zest, as I expected. A pretty refreshing aroma overall.

Taste: When I swish it around with my nasal cavities forced open (sounds goofy, but maybe you know what I mean), the apple is felt beautifully, and is not overdone but just right. It's more of a Belgian Pale Ale with apple added to enhance that fruitier side of it; though it can be tasted, the bubblegum, apple, lemon, and sugars are melded together nicely, in a mellow, not overpowerful state that pleases the palate.

Mouthfeel: Starts off creamy, then goes into a bit of carbonation since it's so infused with the bubbles. Body is light to medium. Quite nice, again, for a thirst-quenching, heat-forgetting beer.

Drinkability: Though it's not extremely sweet, I don't know if I'd want to make a session out of this. It seems like with any fruit beer, eventually the notion of the fruit may either get a bit boring, not lively enough, or tiresome. However, if you're wanting something that's craft-worthy without being overly insane to the palate, this is certainly worth trying. If I can find them, I'll probably be trying the other varities of Ephemere also.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours hazy gold with huge white head and thick lace. Aroma of apples and bubblegum esters. Seen it described as "green apple Jolly Ranchers dropped into a glass of Duvel" Thought it would taste like apple cider but inspite of dominate apple flavors it displays its Belgium side with orange zest, clove and crushed coriander with a curacao bitterness merged in sweet sparkling wit-like light body with a tingling mouth feel from the strong carbonation.

3.42/5  rDev -5%

Reminescent of a Belgian Wit and a Sprakling white wine. Tart, sour, and defyant esters. Spicy, peppery, and lightly sweet. Citric and acidic. Ooh, by the way, APPLES! Granny smith to be exact. The cidery aromas trascribe into the flavor and ride it on through to the finish. Lightly earthy and grape skin flavors add bitterness and roughness. Finishes dry, tart, and mildly sweet. High carbonation scrubs the palate, and the alcohol numbs it. Dry and bubbly. Aftertaste is a little phenolic and warm...remaining tart and sour.

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy and light gold in colour. Green apple and some mild yeast aromas. Flavor wise, the apple dies off a bit, and a sweet cherry flavor moves in. It reminds me of cherry Bubbliscious gum. With all of the fruit flavors going on, it still retains its beer flavors as well (gentle hops, yeast, etc.). Oddly enough, I kinda wish this beer was a bit sweeter, but this is still some solid stuff.

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue