Éphémère (Apple) - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-21-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Éphémère (Apple) Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Coaxed from a 12 oz. browner that has a "Best by 4-30-05" label and "Ale brewed with apple juice, coriander, & curacao." Ephemere Apple filled me Duvel glass with a fury & frenzy not seen the likes of which since my last Bell's TwoHearted pour. A virtual sculpture of white pillowy cloudy head 1/2 way up the glass. Apple aromas are hitting me nose already! Oh yeah, and the pour is cloudy, like orange with champagne like bubbles beading up. Eventually this spumescent cover fizzled down to a scant coating.

This gets a perfect scents grade. Huge cotton candy aroma with tons of Granny Smith and MAcintosh style apple essence. Tons of scents erupt from this canuck.

First swigs: Apple lolipop flavors like the ones with the gum in the middle. The obvious tastes are of tart apple and cider, but also some lemon rind like powdery notes creep out also. As this warms, some maltiness and yeasty notes are introduced.

A lite bodied beer with a slick feel. These styled brews are a toss up on drinkability. If in the mood, these would be a delicious and expensive nite.

Last swigs: A bit one dimensional with an apple pie flavor, but UNIBROUE never dissapoints this beer lover. 5.5% ABV, this is a reasonable beer style that reminds me of a white wine.

Beer is good. Happy fruity beering.

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Clouded light honey-gold with abundant visible carbonation. The head is massive, pure white and fluffysoft, which doesn't bode well for lace. In fact, there's a miniscule amount of glass coverage as I drink.

The nose is of spiced green apples and smells a whole lot like cider/perry, but with a zesty, herbal character as well. The flavor is a curious, tasty commingling of wheat malt, apples and spice. There isn't a great deal of malt present, either in terms of flavor or mouthfeel.

The beer is Granny Smith apple fruity, slightly tart and earthily spicy with coriander most noticeable. The coriander isn't as upfront as it is in many witbiers because it has to compete with a rather bold fruit flavor in this case. I also pick up the faintly musty tang of Belgian yeast which adds complexity and character. The finish is acidic and dry and the body leans toward thin with a pronounced bubbliciousness.

Ephemere Apple is pretty good stuff. I like fruit beers that add spices to the mix, but don't lose their fruit beer personalities. This is no 'humdrum pomme' but a zesty, snappy, Belgian-influenced apple beer that is winsome and tasty.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I was skeptical when this beer first came out and didn't try it until recently due to my anti-fruit beer prejudice. I ignored it at my own peril since this was a pretty tasty brew if you keep an open mind. First thing I noticed when I flipped the cap is aroma of apple juice filling the room. I was still skeptical at this point that it was just going to be overly sweet and too fruity, but I was wrong. First sip indicated that it was not sweet but in fact pretty dry and you could actually taste barley malt and not just apples. It was immensely interesting to have the the malt flavor compete with the green apple flavor to see who wins. It was a dead heat - both flavors are winners. Body was light,crisp, and tart which gave it a refreshing quality. When I finished, I was dissapointed that I only bought one.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Purchased at the World of Beer, Clearwater, FL.

Cloudy and soft, light hay-colored, with a fizzy white head that disappears rather swiftly. The nose is full of apples, with a touch of yeast and spice as well--a very pleasant aroma.

Surprisingly, the apples don't completely dominate the taste, though temper that statement against my expectation that I'd be tasting cider. Apples are the main element, but there's also a bit of complexity here, with a nice, wheaty crispness and hints of coriander around the edges.

Pretty darn good for a hot summer day, and a nice post-dinner compliment to barbecue.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Right when you pop the cork on this one you smell a sudden burst of fresh green apples. Almost as strong as an air freshener. It pours a large white head. This one has lots of carbonation that adds to the light, crisp, and dry mouth feel. The color is a cloudy yellow orange. The smell is strong of green apple and behind that is the smell of their pale ale, blanch de chambley. The flavor is Tart, crisp, dry, green apple, and a little bitter at the end. The apple flavor is not as strong as the smell would make you think. Overall it seems like the blanch de chambley with some essence of green apple. A MUST TRY!

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: Hazy straw color with a huge off-white head and slight carbonation. Little yeast was present in my sample.

Aroma: Overwhelmingly strong aroma of juicy apples and peel. To me, the aroma most resembles the Granny Smith variety. The tart and sweet aroma is quite mouth watering, and is strongly suggestive of a cider.

Taste: Begins with a light malt note, nutty yeast notes, and some faint hoppiness. Midway through the taste, the malt notes become a bit more assertive. At the finish, the expected apple notes finally assert themselves, although not the expected tart Granny Smith variety, but rather a sweeter flavor dominated by peel, from a variety like Delicious or George Washington. Beneath the apple notes, there is also a spicy, yeasty character that one would expect in Belgian ale. There lingers on the palette a distinct note of apple peel, long after the other elements of the taste have vanished, much as hops more commonly do.

Mouth feel: Rich and full, very pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: An enigmatic beer that has inspired much pondering and analysis. I suppose it must be said that I liked it, because I would like to have another, if only to better discern its mysteries.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

This brew poured a very pale yellow with a foggy haze of yeast. The head was unlike a beer head. More like the head you find on seltzer water. It had large bubbles that dissipated super quickly with an audible fizzing. The bubbles in the beer itself were quite seltzer like as well. Basically there were a lot of them and they moved very fast. Just like soda pop.

Which brings me to the smell, which also was like soda pop. Apple soda. Dominant sour apple notes with a hint of Belgian yeast. Very refreshing smell actually.

If only the taste mirrored the smell, perhaps I would have rated it higher. The dominant sour apple smell was not as present in the flavor. More like the essence of green unripe apple skins, very bitter and vegitive. Perhaps this was also the product of the coriander, but to me it tasted of chlorophyll. Don't get me wrong, it is not entirely unpleasing. It's actually quite refreshing being that it's not as sweet as the smell would lead you to believe. But it's a case of the smell fooling your taste buds. You expect one thing and get another.

Underneath it all is a well-made Belgian style brew with a familiar yeast flavor. But I was so distracted by all the green flavors going on that I hardly noticed at first.

The mouth feel was very crisp and dry. The crispness was accented by the high carbonation. I found it to be pleasing. This would be a decent brew to drink at a picnic on a hot day served ice cold.

Drinkability for me was average. This could be a quite drinkable brew if not for the confusing array of notes. I don't think a fruit beer with a Belgian base is really what I would choose if I wanted a fruit beer. Although when compared to other fruit beers out there it is still a very well made beer. If you like fruit beers I'd say give this one a try.

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

I admit to some prejudice against fruit in my beer. So, I gave this three tries before reviewing. I am still basically against fruit in my beer.

This is a very nice looking beer, pouring a light golden color with a little greenish hue (or is that my imagination). It had a lot of carbonation and a big head.

The smell is the expected apple smell. I have granny smith apples in my house year round so this was evocative of that. So, was the taste, which for me is a problem. It is obviously a well brewed beer, but I can't get past the apple flavor. I shudder to think what the black currant Ephemere is like.

It has a nice refreshing mouthfeel so I wouldn't hesitate to have another if someone was offering, but I wouldn't go looking for it.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

One of my favorite summer beers. Sought it out from my enthusiasm that is all things Unibroue. Was not disappointed.

Belgian head was not as enormous as might have been expected. Still significant though, as was the smell eminating from the head; apples and citrus, somewhat misleading me into what I might expect.

Due to my limited experience with the more common liquor store varieties, I had nothing to compare this too. I expected a desert/fruity beer. The truth is far more complex. There are apples somewhere in this beer, but there is also a range of other tastes and flavors that add to it's unexpected complexity. I'm not saying this is a Westy12, but it is more complex than I would have expected. Flowery with Apple subtext, it's definitely dry and tart. Would substitute for a Chardonnay in my mind.

Numerous food pairings come to mind, I see it as quite versatile.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Sampled on tap at Charlies Kitchen in Cambridge, MA.

This beer poured a cloudy, yellowish color with white foam that settled. The smell was a pleasant, tart green-apple aroma (somewhat akin to Sweetarts) with minimal malt. The taste was dominated by tart, green apples with minimal maltiness and very low hops (if any?). There was also a touch of citrus. The mouthfeel was sharp and crisp with a lot of fruity citrus. The body was medium with low carbonation feel. This was a rather pleasant drink, but you have to like apples.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

On-tap at Eli Cannon's

I liked this beer on tap, but it was a little more sweeter than I expected it to be. The bottled verison seemed more mellow, but on-tap the flavors really came out. Came in a tulip glass. Looked like a misty lemon color with a nice amount of carbonation that lasted for a long time. Smell was apples all the way, mixed with some light spiciness. Taste was nice, but the colder it was, the better it was I thought. Green apples hit the palate hard and lasted all the way towards the aftertaste. A great dessert beer, but it has to be cold.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

Style is a fruit/herb/experimental so to rank the color and base is difficult other than giving overall impressions.
Definatly have this beer in a goblet style glass for max effect with aroma and appearance.

The color is light golden with a white fluffy head that lingures. Teh aroma of citrus and apples in dominate, even from across the room. Sweet and sour, a touch of spicey flowers.

The taste is tart and dry, like a chardonay but better, because its beer. The high carbonation level allows the toungue to experience more flavors but not the sour on the sides of the toungue. Very interesting. Light fluffy, and crisp. Refreshing to sit on the porch on a muggy night and take this down. However, I cant drink the entire 750mL bottle I opened for myself.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

had this as an early evening before the show drink and thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Not my favorite Unibroue but the beer was of the quality that I expect from this exceptional brewery. Served in a tulip glass, excellent carbonation and head for this beer. Wonderful aroma of granny smith apple though this was not overpowering and seem to complement other notes of citrus and spruce. Tastes again of an apple picked fresh from the forest, herbal notes in this beer are too interesting. Nice balance of malty sweetness and hints of hoppy bitterness, make this not a cider but a wonderful beer with some complex character. What to pair this beer with I am not sure but a wonderful beer to sip and savor; a good mellowing beer for a mellow summer afternoon

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

Cloudy, straw yellow with a dense, bright white head. It looked quite fizzy in the glass. It smelled strongly of green apples, with a bit of spice and yeast. The flavour was completely dominated by apples, but was still quite complex. It started with some spiciness, changed to apple sweetness in the middle, and finished with a dry tartness. Also in the finish was a bit of the yeast flavour common to the Unibroue line. It was pleasantly light bodied without being watery -- great for summer.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Served as 10.5 oz pour at Redbones. Beer was the color of dusty faded cloudy lemon. Aroma was strongly of granny smith apples, rounding out to a bit of syrupy jolly rancher apple. Pleasant medium mouthfeel. I thought there was some yeastiness in the taste, finishing with a slight tart/apple peel taste. A nice and tasty beer.

4.08/5  rDev +13.6%

Hazy golden with a thick, sticky head....Jolly Rancher Apple scent fairly explodes out of the glass.

Taste is typical Unibroue but with candyish, apple flavor... also reminds me of sour apple Laffy Taffy from back in grade school. Estery yeast and a chewy, sweet malt profile... slightly spicy in the background, but distant to the almost overpowering apple flavor. Almost tastes gimmicky there's so much... but this would be a good pick for girls that like alcopop. Lower ABV than most from this brewery, which is a smart move... drinkability is enhanced.

As it is, I'm a fan of Unibroue, I like apple flavored candy, so this is a winner... but with the winged fairy goddess on the bottle, and the sweet candy flavor, this is the happy hardcore of beer... enjoy it in small doses, but don't let anyone know.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance:

A nice pale-gold with slight cloudiness, and plenty of carbonation that forms an extreme white head.

Smell:

Granny smith apples, with hints of cotton candy, and an underlying Belgian White quality is present due to the presence of the coriander.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Green apple Jolly Rancher that is slightly bitter. Interesting, but not as complex as I expected. Good, not great.

Note: 750 mL bottle, best before 5-29-05

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Éphémère (Apple) was served from a 750ml corked and caged brown bottle. In a Duvel tulip, the beer was a hazy golden-straw color, and was topped by an active and voluminous white head that left thick blanketing lacing. The nose was zesty with musty, sharp, and juicy tart apple aromas. Notes of coriander and a lovely rich floral component added the right touch. The taste was mellower than expected, with an initial creamy smooth coriander component, which became more tart and apple-spicy in the transition to an anticlimatic and subdued finish. Only a mild lingering coriander essence remained after the tart flavors abruptly dropped off. I did enjoy the interplay between the smooth coriander and the tart apple. The body was comfortably smooth and full and the carbonation was nice and fluffy. I found this beer to be an easy drinker for the style. Éphémère is an approachable fruity Belgian-style ale that won't wow you but should make for enjoyable beverage.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Got myself the good ol' 22 oz bomber to sample. This is probably one of the most unique fruit beers I have ever had. I say unique becuase despite it dominate candy-like sweetness, I still found this rather enjoyable.

It pours a light, very fizzy yellow (ala coors, yes, that coors). Very thick, lusterous and foamy white head. Smells light, sweet, and a mix of lemony-grass types (wheat, hay, even some generic grass - no, not that kind)

The taste is a semi-candied sweet apple mixed with standard green apple flavor. But it was, in esence, almost jarringly sweet. And it's fizziness is surprising, almost on a macro-level. But the finish was surprising hoppy/citrus taste, I assume that is from the curacao. I didn't really notice and carriander, though. The finish was very nice, the citrus was a good compliment, which helped clean it up nicely and makes the sweetness alot more palatable.

Surprisingly refereshing, and higly drinkable, this could double in a lot of situation.

4.43/5  rDev +23.4%

I could smell the apples near the neck of the bottle before I popped the cork. This bottle I have aged for 8 months. That was not easy.
I sense certain differences from the other one I tried.

Cloudy, unfiltered-looking, with apple-juice colouration, light and dull yellow. The last glass(from the bottle) is thick and dense with sediment and lees. An almost aspirin-white head, creamy and smooth, went down to a minimal layer after a few minutes, leaving ultra-creamy lacing. The aroma is divine: strong musk smells, sweet candy, definite apple, yeasty like a hefeweizen, lightly detectable malt, and other fruits such as mango or peach. To me, it captures perfectly the crisp flavour of fresh apples, without too much sourness. It leaves the mouth with no doubts: this is a beer with apples, not cider. No excessive dryness, no unpleasant tartness.
The taste is ambrosial, again perfectly embodying ripe apples. At first the tongue senses some slight malt, much musk and yeast, and sweet candy flavours. In the middle is a little dryness akin to a good cider, and the finish is all apple. Perfect carbonation and good mouthfeel. Drinkability is high because it balances so well, and it is not particularly strong or pungent. Mmm. Give me this over a warm cider any winter evening. Some may find it quite similar to a hefe, but the apple must DOES make a big difference. Heavenly beer.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Yellow apple colored hazy brew, with nice white head that falls to thin ring of constant rising bubbles. Smells of good sour green apples dominates here. Tastes light crisp not at all sour like the smell just clean and refreshing with slight apple flavor, with a touch of yeasty bread flavor thrown in. Mouthfeel is medium light and bubbly too much so for my taste. Never been fan of over carbonated beer just never seems right on my tounge. Overall nice experience but was expecting something more.

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally, I've picked a bottle of Ephemere that is carbonated! Hooray!

Poured a hazy golden yellow color with a white finely carbonated head. The head receded quickly to along the edges of the glass, bit of lacing across the top of the beer. The smell as I poured it from the bottle was sweet, honey-like, and loaded with green apples. The smell of the beer in my glass was little different, though the sweet honey character had mellow into a dull sweetness with the apples themselves. The taste is citric and tart, hint of apples, hint of residual sweetness right before a dry finish. Rather complex, moreso than what I was expecting. I'm still missing flavors because they rush by at full tilt. Mouthfeel is very tart, hint of sourness, very bubbly and light all over the tongue. This is a tasty beer, but not one I'll be rushing out to buy again. Well, not for me, anyway, but the missus will probably demand it again shortly...

3.23/5  rDev -10%

Poured a nice straw with white head.
Aroma was great. Smelled of slightly tart granny smith apples, a little spice. The smell was strong and I couldn't wait to down this brew.
Taste...ummm...where did the apples go...taste was more corriander, and other spices with a HINT of apple. A complete 180 from the aroma. I still need to figure out that one. How it smells so good but tastes so bland.
Mouthfeel was good. It went down like it should.
Drinkability was low. I am having to cap this off after 1 glass to try it again later. I would not buy this ever again.

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from a 750 ML Bottle, 2004 vintage Best before date 02-10-06.

Pours a cloudy lemon yellow brew.

Smell is a pleasant granny smith apple aroma with a scent of coriander and a hint of some other spice maybe lemons?

Taste is of mild FRESH green apples and a sweet and tart spiciness. The coriander in this comes through clearly. The Curacao in this can be tasted as the faint Earl Grey Tea flavor it has.

Mouthfeel is champagne.

A super refreshing brew, I hope Sleeman doesn’t kill this brewery and their wonderful beers.

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

Had this one on draft at the Strange Brew Tavern, keg just tapped within a couple of days.
Small pillowy white head in a standard shaker pint glass,cloudy and gold to orange in color.
Aroma filled with Grannysmith apples,lemon and orange zest, spices,belgian qualities. Some bubblegum,cotton candy, and funkiness,slightly musty.
Flavor was hugely apples,refreshingly tart grannys. After the apples come a myriad of hidden treats. Soft peaches,pears,spices.
A faint hint of cinnamon,maybe some star anise (licorice).
The beer finishes nicely, crisp and lightly tart. Dry and barely astringent (like a apple peel).
Mouthfeel is medium with a great wheat tang and mild "gription" on the pallet.
This beer on tap goes down a lot quicker than the one thats been cellared for a couple of years. Nowhere near as complex, but a real treat to have one thats so fresh.

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue