Éphémère (Apple) - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-21-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Éphémère (Apple) Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +21.7%

12 oz bottle. Poured into Corsendonk glass. Gleaming light golden color. Nice dense bubbly off-white head. Not alot of apple aromas, more of a faint belgian yeasty smell, along with a certain fruitness. First taste has a tart sour apple flavor to it through. Very nicely balanced with that distinct belgian ale body. Nice, tight carbonation. Very good finishing hop crispness, all though the apple flavor is subtle but noticable. Very crisp dry finish with more sour apple snap. Medium to light bodied and very refreshing. Definitly worth a try.

StevieW, Apr 30, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

12 oz. bottle was free, thanks to babyhobbes!

Kind of a cloudy greyish color. Not very appealing to the eyes. Good smell though, like a flowery, appley beer. Taste is similar, not like cider at all (which I expected). More like a beer that's made with apples as a minor ingredient. Light tasting, especially for the Unibroue folks.

A good summer brew. I'd drink it again if it were available.

benmiliron, Apr 29, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a nice golden color with a think white head. It smells strongly of apples but I don't really detect much else.

The taste is of apples and the finish is real crisp. The apple flavor isn't as overpowering as I expected. This brew is very refreshing and worth a try this summer.

babyhobbes, Apr 26, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance is nice hazy light yellowish and a thick head while the scent is, unsurprisingly, strongly apple tinged.

As for the taste...powerful! If you're in the mood for an incredibly sweet apple flavour without the harsher edge that ciders tend to have then you should give this one a try. I thought it was solid and it had a nice crisp finish which makes this a good warmer weather beer. My only knock is the one-dimensional nature, the sweet apple is there, but beyond that it's pretty plain.

Drinkability continues the all-around quality aspect of the beer.

CortexBomb, Apr 26, 2004

This beer smelled like apples and the smell was quite pleasant. It has a yellowish color but a nice head, appropriate for an apple drink. The taste is harder to judge. It does have a strong, sweet apple taste. That seems appropriate, so I don't think I think it is good and appropriate for what they were going for. The drinkability really takes a hit. Do you really need something so sweet? No. If you are in the mood for a hard cider, this may take its place. Very good for the summer.

GeoffFromSJ, Apr 24, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Beer looks ok. Nothing super about it. Little hazy, not yeast I don't think. Very straw gold color, very pale, white head. Nose is awsome! Beautiful apple smell from afar, but when you get up close, smells more like candied apples. Nice sugary caramel scent that is very mellow and smooth. Nothing sharp like the first green apple from afar scent.

Taste is very dry. Decent carbonation really carries all the flavors but also accentuates the sharp dryness...I would like a bit sweeter beer with the subtle apple taste. Not an overwhelming apple flavor, but its there. Also get some wit type spicy flavors but very sundued as well.

Mouthfeel is good for the style I suppose.

A drinkable beer if you're a girl...just kidding, but I'm looking for a little more flavor in a beer. Its drinkable like Coors light is drinkable.

cerevisiaephilus, Apr 23, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: Pours a very pale straw gold with a faint greenish tint. Big, foamy, large-bead head presents itself, then sticks around for a moderate length of time. I was expecting it to retire much more quickly, but it surprised me.

Smell: As the mug sits on my desk, I can smell apples, apples, and more apples. If you just handed me a glass of this without telling me what it was, I'd assume it was a cider. Pulling it up for a closer sniff, I get some interesting caramel aromas. It puts me in mind of the midway at the Texas State Fair, and the booths that sell caramel-covered apples. Brown sugar also present.

Taste: Very interesting. The apples are the dominant flavor, though sadly I'm not familiar enough with apple varieties to point at what kind of apple. The caramel also comes through, which is nice, along with a faint hint of cinnamon. No real hop presence, but there's a noticable tannin astringency on the finish, sorta like what you'd get from chewing up apple peel.

Mouthfeel: Light, bubbly, and effervescent.

Drinkability: Reasonably drinkable, but I think the tannins would wear on me after a few.

Overall: A very interesting beer. Another winner from Unibroue. (For the time being, at any rate, since they got bought by Sleeman's.)

Afterburner, Apr 22, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -8.3%

This brew pours a clear pale golden color with an off-whte modest head. The smell consists of over-whelming apple along with some spicing. The taste is a quick splash of apple, banana, spices, and a little yeasty background. This is a thin bodied beer with a very dry champagne-like finish.

Notes: A very light beer with a big bold apple aroma that is just a little much. Seems like a belgian wit with an apple cider blend. Cheers!

BeerAngel, Apr 12, 2004
3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

Starts as a sparkling clrear well carbonated gold, but once the yeast is swirled and added it turns cloudy, topped with a quickly bubbling two finger stark white head.
Strong aroma - apple fills up the surrounding area, some curaco, coriander, sweet.
Apple, apple core, grape, curaco and honey in the taste. The taste becomes fuller and fruitier when the yeast is added. Smells better than it tastes.
Crisp and dry, very dry almost like a cider, light body, powdery.

mschofield, Apr 08, 2004
3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

Can you say apples? Can you say sharp, tart apples? Can you add maybe through a bit of pears and a slight hint of caramel (this may have been wishful thinking on my part) with earthiness? If so, then this is your beer. If you like different, unique, and something that stands on its own in the world, then this is your great beer.

It starts as a cloudy, hazy light yellow-gold with nothing but sour apples, and more sour apples. As such, it is a very good version of sour apple beer. But I guess I was thinking something a little more subtle. I have a hard time rating this beer, because it actually is pretty good at being what it is, but I am not a big sour apple fan, and therefore, this beer is not my favorite. Add the caramel and make it a caramel apple, and you have my vote. As is, I couldn't finish it.

Dukeofearl, Apr 05, 2004
2.8/5  rDev -22.2%

Am I drinking the same beer as the others who have reviewed this, or was I just expecting something much different? Bright hazy yellow colored with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Nose has a hint of green apples, but is overpowered by the doughey, yeasty smell. Flavor is all yeast, way too strong. I had to hunt for the flavor of the apple, and was then even maybe only imagining it. I tried this with two other craft beer fans, and we all felt that the yeast overpowered and the apple barely surfaced.

far333, Apr 01, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Though 'best by '05', it still fizzed and foamed up psychotically.

Honeycombed head that results instantly tames itself and leave no lacing.

Nice yeast notes on the nose, classic banana and pear, but smothered by an overt case of cider envy. Too much like a Jolly Rancher.

The appearance is very applelike: cloudy and yellow like the meat of the fruit.

The taste is the same way - the apple overpowers everything. The 'everything' seems to be a dumbed down version of the Unibroue formula which is sad.

The Jolly Rancher comes back on the aftertaste. I can tell that there's a good beer in there somewhere, but it just has no chance to show itself.

GreenWBush, Mar 30, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

This poured to a bright apple-juice tone with a medium head.

The smell is of apples and fantastic. It lasts from the cork on through the bottle. The taste is also of apples, and almost close to cider but it isn't overwhelmingly full of fruit.

This is something completely different from the other beers I enjoy, but I think it's a nice change and that it's very well done.

watermelonman, Mar 25, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

The beer exploded from the 12 ounce bottle upon opening. It poured a beautiful, super clean gold color with a nice white head which subsided very quickly. Aroma is very dry with just a hint of apple comming through. Taste alludes to it's color; super clean and crisp with hints of apple and spice. This is one clean beer. Very very refreshing. Mouthfeel is fine and bubbly and drinkability is super high. This is a very solid beer. Could definitely be a summer time staple for me.

soper2000, Mar 25, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

The apple Ephemere is certainly an interesting ale. Unibroue makes several different varieties of the Ephemere line, and I will have to try the others to do some taste comparisons. The first thing that I noticed was that this was more like a cider than a beer. Richly effervescent, light body and texture, and a definite tarty apple flavor. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy ciders a lot. I was just a little confused by the profile that this ale was giving me. I picked up a single 12 oz. sample to try for $2.39.

It poured well, with a nice 3/4 inch thick head that took a couple of minutes to dissipate. Light smell on this sample. The nose just wasn't overwhelming at all, all apple essence.

The taste was clearly dominated by the fruit. The malts and hops were deep in the background. Slight bitterness on the back of the tongue as the sample warmed. As I stated earlier, the taste coupled with the level of carbonation lent this ale a very, VERY cidery profile. I gave the taste a 3.5 after a lot of reflection. For what it is, it's good. Unfortunately it's also very one dimensional in character. Nothing hit the palate except for the apples.

Good mouthfeel. The sparkling effervescence was very refreshing. Very drinkable. This ale was user-friendly in just about every respect.

Bottom line was that I was just confused by this offering. I'm not sure if the attempt here was to make an ale that compares to apple ciders, or what exactly. I liked it, and I'd probably pick it up again sometime, but the next time I'm in a mood for something this fruity and sparkling, I'll just go and pick up a real cider. A strange and interesting ale for sure.

Dubblebock, Mar 19, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This wonderful beer (cider) screams APPLE from the moment it hits the bottom of your glass. The strong aroma of over-ripe, tart apples assaults you...in a good way. The color is a light amber and a medium white head forms on the pour. The yeast from the bottle makes it look like there are actually apple bits floating in the beer (cider). The taste is apple cider, through and through, with none of the off tastes found in most commercially available ciders. This one is extremely tasty, but it definitely tastes more like a cider than a beer. There aren't really many beery qualities at all, in fact. Still, I have a feeling this will find itself in my regular rotation, especially in the warmer months to come. It is very refreshing and extremely drinkable. My only real complaint is that the carbonation level is a wee bit too much. It almost burns your tongue there are so many bubbles assaulting it.

Hagbard, Mar 17, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

It is a Belgian Wit with apple juice added. It looks like a typical wit beer; a huge head and a color that is almost white from the cloudy yeast. The aroma is slightly hoppy, but there is a definite presence of green apple. It is a light, crisp, beer that is sweet and acidic. You can taste traces of the coriander and orange peal through the apple taste. This is great for sitting out on the porch and drinking on a warm summer night.

ark57, Mar 16, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

It pours a lightish gold, clear and bubbly, with a thin head of white foam that drops off fast to virtually nothing.

The aroma starts with the essence of freshly peeled apple, complete with a blunt metallic tang. A vague spice note accompanies a doughy vanilla air. A submerged citrus current surfaces at the finish.

On first taste, a gentle Granny Smith tartness twists its way around a mellow savory sprinkle of coriander. The lack of sweetness is notable. An underlying citrus splash pairs with a doughy yeast presence to fill out the middle ground. The apple chracter re-asserts toward the end, then fades at the finish to a cider-like memory.

A bit more than light bodied, the un-sweetness leaves a dry sensation across the palate. Quick flowing, the flavor soon washes away.

The dry fruit character makes for a fun, savory drink. The genuine apple presence plays off the other components to establish a refreshing balance. It's an easy quaff, with each sip making the next one even easier. It's not spectacular, but it's solidly good, and a snap to enjoy. It's a seasonal that I'll gladly revisit each year when that time rolls around again.

Foxman, Mar 15, 2004
3.78/5  rDev +5%

Lovely opaque lemon yellow. teeny bubbles and huge white head. This is like wheat beer and jolly ranchers green apple, without the sweetness.

Aroma less intense than I anticipated, but of wheat and apple juice.

Taste is mostly wheat and apple juice. Nothing complex. Very clean and refreshing. Something I may want on a spring afternoon while lounging at a cafe reading something light.

The is a great beverage as far a beverages go, but does not get all the way there for a beer.

Naerhu, Mar 15, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Being a lover of fruit beer that I am I was anxious to give this beer a try. It pours a golden amber like color with little or no head. Kind of reminds of a cider (appearance wiss). Aroma of granny smith apple/wheat is evident in this beer.

Taste was a cross between a wit beer and a wood chuck granny smith cider, although the apple is subdued a bit. I would like to try this beer again during the dog days of summer.

lampkins, Mar 04, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

I've been looking forward to this one. 12 oz bottle pours into a tulip glass a slightly hazy, honey yellow with a three finger head of white, tightlyknit foam. The head retains very well, and stabilizes at 2 cm for the remainder of the glass. Aroma is fascinating, with bubblegum and McIntosh apples, with an array of Belgian-like spices in the background(cloves and coriander). Mouthfeel is a dose of fizzy carbonation, akin to a Belgian pale ale. Taste is surprisingly complex, with a yeasty, mushroom earthiness, tart green apples, fresh baked bread, cloves and coriander. Flavor profile is very similar to a fine Belgian pale ale, with the addition of sour apple. Very nicely done. A very tasty, sipping ale, with a very good drinkability that I found surprising.

merlin48, Feb 29, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

My wife was a definite fan of this beer. One reason is that it has a lot going on that's similar to a witbier, a style that she actually enjoys. It's a very pale and cloudy yellow with a nice soapy white head. It has the esters and phenols I'd expect from the witbier, but without the coriander and orange, although the green apple flavor and aroma actually sends in down a road fairly similar to that of the orange peel. Very quaffable. Not a mind blower, but tasty.

aracauna, Feb 23, 2004
2.73/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Foggy golden yellow with zero head. I like the colour, but after that there's nothing special looking about this beer.

Aroma is interesting. Lots of apple and hints of other fruit like peach. Noticeable yeast and a big hit of alcohol.

Lots of apple taste, too. But quite bitter on the tongue, and overall, too chemical in nature for my taste. I've enjoyed many Unibroue beers, but I'm afraid this is not among them.

TerryW, Feb 20, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a glass, the beer appeared very light and golden. Its aroma was of green apples and coriander, as I expected from the bottle. The beer was a little too light and dry, with a robust apple flavor. It's rather drinkable, but not exactly something that I'd go out of my way to try. We picked up a bottle for a dinner pairing, and were very pleased with the way it complimented a bacon and apple dressed salad.

AllThingsNinja, Feb 15, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured with vigorous carbonation and head, bubbled throughout the tasting. Very clear, very pale yellow. Looks like macroswill to be honest. but I guess thats what its supposed to be..
Smell: Apples, apples, apples! Fresh though, not at all like cider. Faintly smells like a Belgian ale, but not too strongly. No hops I can detect in the aroma.
Taste: Very nice fresh apple flavor. Tart, sweet, very very crisp and clean. A little spiciness to it too. The effervesence bites and accentuates the tartness. Not much actual beer character to this beer, really, but quite tasty and refreshing.
Mouthfeel: Prickly sweet crisp tart clean. Refreshing, really nice.
Drinkability: If it was cheaper, I'd buy it by the case for hot summer days. Better flavor than cider, more refreshing than regular beer. Very nice overall.

Erix, Feb 09, 2004