Éphémère (Apple) - Unibroue

Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-21-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Éphémère (Apple) Alström Bros
2.87/5  rDev -20.3%

Am I drinking the same beer as the others who have reviewed this, or was I just expecting something much different? Bright hazy yellow colored with a thin white head that dissipates quickly. Nose has a hint of green apples, but is overpowered by the doughey, yeasty smell. Flavor is all yeast, way too strong. I had to hunt for the flavor of the apple, and was then even maybe only imagining it. I tried this with two other craft beer fans, and we all felt that the yeast overpowered and the apple barely surfaced.

2.86/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Though 'best by '05', it still fizzed and foamed up psychotically.

Honeycombed head that results instantly tames itself and leave no lacing.

Nice yeast notes on the nose, classic banana and pear, but smothered by an overt case of cider envy. Too much like a Jolly Rancher.

The appearance is very applelike: cloudy and yellow like the meat of the fruit.

The taste is the same way - the apple overpowers everything. The 'everything' seems to be a dumbed down version of the Unibroue formula which is sad.

The Jolly Rancher comes back on the aftertaste. I can tell that there's a good beer in there somewhere, but it just has no chance to show itself.

3.79/5  rDev +5.3%

This poured to a bright apple-juice tone with a medium head.

The smell is of apples and fantastic. It lasts from the cork on through the bottle. The taste is also of apples, and almost close to cider but it isn't overwhelmingly full of fruit.

This is something completely different from the other beers I enjoy, but I think it's a nice change and that it's very well done.

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

The beer exploded from the 12 ounce bottle upon opening. It poured a beautiful, super clean gold color with a nice white head which subsided very quickly. Aroma is very dry with just a hint of apple comming through. Taste alludes to it's color; super clean and crisp with hints of apple and spice. This is one clean beer. Very very refreshing. Mouthfeel is fine and bubbly and drinkability is super high. This is a very solid beer. Could definitely be a summer time staple for me.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

The apple Ephemere is certainly an interesting ale. Unibroue makes several different varieties of the Ephemere line, and I will have to try the others to do some taste comparisons. The first thing that I noticed was that this was more like a cider than a beer. Richly effervescent, light body and texture, and a definite tarty apple flavor. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy ciders a lot. I was just a little confused by the profile that this ale was giving me. I picked up a single 12 oz. sample to try for $2.39.

It poured well, with a nice 3/4 inch thick head that took a couple of minutes to dissipate. Light smell on this sample. The nose just wasn't overwhelming at all, all apple essence.

The taste was clearly dominated by the fruit. The malts and hops were deep in the background. Slight bitterness on the back of the tongue as the sample warmed. As I stated earlier, the taste coupled with the level of carbonation lent this ale a very, VERY cidery profile. I gave the taste a 3.5 after a lot of reflection. For what it is, it's good. Unfortunately it's also very one dimensional in character. Nothing hit the palate except for the apples.

Good mouthfeel. The sparkling effervescence was very refreshing. Very drinkable. This ale was user-friendly in just about every respect.

Bottom line was that I was just confused by this offering. I'm not sure if the attempt here was to make an ale that compares to apple ciders, or what exactly. I liked it, and I'd probably pick it up again sometime, but the next time I'm in a mood for something this fruity and sparkling, I'll just go and pick up a real cider. A strange and interesting ale for sure.

4.14/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This wonderful beer (cider) screams APPLE from the moment it hits the bottom of your glass. The strong aroma of over-ripe, tart apples assaults you...in a good way. The color is a light amber and a medium white head forms on the pour. The yeast from the bottle makes it look like there are actually apple bits floating in the beer (cider). The taste is apple cider, through and through, with none of the off tastes found in most commercially available ciders. This one is extremely tasty, but it definitely tastes more like a cider than a beer. There aren't really many beery qualities at all, in fact. Still, I have a feeling this will find itself in my regular rotation, especially in the warmer months to come. It is very refreshing and extremely drinkable. My only real complaint is that the carbonation level is a wee bit too much. It almost burns your tongue there are so many bubbles assaulting it.

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

It is a Belgian Wit with apple juice added. It looks like a typical wit beer; a huge head and a color that is almost white from the cloudy yeast. The aroma is slightly hoppy, but there is a definite presence of green apple. It is a light, crisp, beer that is sweet and acidic. You can taste traces of the coriander and orange peal through the apple taste. This is great for sitting out on the porch and drinking on a warm summer night.

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

It pours a lightish gold, clear and bubbly, with a thin head of white foam that drops off fast to virtually nothing.

The aroma starts with the essence of freshly peeled apple, complete with a blunt metallic tang. A vague spice note accompanies a doughy vanilla air. A submerged citrus current surfaces at the finish.

On first taste, a gentle Granny Smith tartness twists its way around a mellow savory sprinkle of coriander. The lack of sweetness is notable. An underlying citrus splash pairs with a doughy yeast presence to fill out the middle ground. The apple chracter re-asserts toward the end, then fades at the finish to a cider-like memory.

A bit more than light bodied, the un-sweetness leaves a dry sensation across the palate. Quick flowing, the flavor soon washes away.

The dry fruit character makes for a fun, savory drink. The genuine apple presence plays off the other components to establish a refreshing balance. It's an easy quaff, with each sip making the next one even easier. It's not spectacular, but it's solidly good, and a snap to enjoy. It's a seasonal that I'll gladly revisit each year when that time rolls around again.

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%

Lovely opaque lemon yellow. teeny bubbles and huge white head. This is like wheat beer and jolly ranchers green apple, without the sweetness.

Aroma less intense than I anticipated, but of wheat and apple juice.

Taste is mostly wheat and apple juice. Nothing complex. Very clean and refreshing. Something I may want on a spring afternoon while lounging at a cafe reading something light.

The is a great beverage as far a beverages go, but does not get all the way there for a beer.

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

Being a lover of fruit beer that I am I was anxious to give this beer a try. It pours a golden amber like color with little or no head. Kind of reminds of a cider (appearance wiss). Aroma of granny smith apple/wheat is evident in this beer.

Taste was a cross between a wit beer and a wood chuck granny smith cider, although the apple is subdued a bit. I would like to try this beer again during the dog days of summer.

4.27/5  rDev +18.6%

I've been looking forward to this one. 12 oz bottle pours into a tulip glass a slightly hazy, honey yellow with a three finger head of white, tightlyknit foam. The head retains very well, and stabilizes at 2 cm for the remainder of the glass. Aroma is fascinating, with bubblegum and McIntosh apples, with an array of Belgian-like spices in the background(cloves and coriander). Mouthfeel is a dose of fizzy carbonation, akin to a Belgian pale ale. Taste is surprisingly complex, with a yeasty, mushroom earthiness, tart green apples, fresh baked bread, cloves and coriander. Flavor profile is very similar to a fine Belgian pale ale, with the addition of sour apple. Very nicely done. A very tasty, sipping ale, with a very good drinkability that I found surprising.

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%

My wife was a definite fan of this beer. One reason is that it has a lot going on that's similar to a witbier, a style that she actually enjoys. It's a very pale and cloudy yellow with a nice soapy white head. It has the esters and phenols I'd expect from the witbier, but without the coriander and orange, although the green apple flavor and aroma actually sends in down a road fairly similar to that of the orange peel. Very quaffable. Not a mind blower, but tasty.

2.77/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Foggy golden yellow with zero head. I like the colour, but after that there's nothing special looking about this beer.

Aroma is interesting. Lots of apple and hints of other fruit like peach. Noticeable yeast and a big hit of alcohol.

Lots of apple taste, too. But quite bitter on the tongue, and overall, too chemical in nature for my taste. I've enjoyed many Unibroue beers, but I'm afraid this is not among them.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into a glass, the beer appeared very light and golden. Its aroma was of green apples and coriander, as I expected from the bottle. The beer was a little too light and dry, with a robust apple flavor. It's rather drinkable, but not exactly something that I'd go out of my way to try. We picked up a bottle for a dinner pairing, and were very pleased with the way it complimented a bacon and apple dressed salad.

4.26/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured with vigorous carbonation and head, bubbled throughout the tasting. Very clear, very pale yellow. Looks like macroswill to be honest. but I guess thats what its supposed to be..
Smell: Apples, apples, apples! Fresh though, not at all like cider. Faintly smells like a Belgian ale, but not too strongly. No hops I can detect in the aroma.
Taste: Very nice fresh apple flavor. Tart, sweet, very very crisp and clean. A little spiciness to it too. The effervesence bites and accentuates the tartness. Not much actual beer character to this beer, really, but quite tasty and refreshing.
Mouthfeel: Prickly sweet crisp tart clean. Refreshing, really nice.
Drinkability: If it was cheaper, I'd buy it by the case for hot summer days. Better flavor than cider, more refreshing than regular beer. Very nice overall.

3.59/5  rDev -0.3%

This is a cloudy yellow beer, with head that disappears quickly. The smell was a very nice apple smell, but it was downhill from there. I could taste the apple, but the beer was bitter, and also watery. I thought it was a bit too crabonated, and not something I would go for a second time.

2.58/5  rDev -28.3%

Unibroue- Ephemere (apple) best before 5-29-05

Well here we go, I'll give Unibroue another try. So far they are 0/2 with me. ( yuk on Maudite and Trois Pistoles)

Appearance- Light yellow with thick thick white head and massive carbonation. Looks just like a cider drink.

Smell- apples, of course. I also detect the usual Belgian spicey,yeasty odor.

Taste- Blahhh. Not bad but not enjoyable. A faint dry apple taste. Like eating an apple slice that sat on the counter all day. I don't detect alcohol which is good.

Mouthfeel- bland, watery, maybe a little carbonation.

Overall, I'll drink the rest of my bottle but I wouldn't purchase again nor would I suggest you buy it.

For something similiar but tastier- Wyders dry pear cider!

3.99/5  rDev +10.8%

Aroma: A fruit cup. I get a lot of pears, orange, and the distinctive Unibroue yeast. Smells refreshing.
Appearance: Pale thin yellow with very active carbonation feeding a frothy pure white head. Mild lacing.
Flavor: Much like the aroma, but the apples really pop in the taste. I don’t get any hop or malt taste at all, this is more like a fruit juice cider mix.
Mouthfeel: Medium thin body that is very bubbly.
Overall Impression: A real example of the diversity of beer. Without the Unibroue yeast taste, if given to me blind, I wouldn’t even think it was beer. Very fruity and sweet. Glad my wife liked it, I think the whole bomber would start to get a bit old, which would be a shame. This is a great dinner party dessert beer.

3.07/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy yellow color with an initially huge head that dissipated to what is now a thin layer of foam. No real lacing. Nice amount of bubbles seen in the body of the beer.

Smell: Mostly a tart apple smell which is quite powerful, I could smell this one across the room, underneath the nose full of apples is a faint grassy herbal sort of smell.

Taste: Going by the smell, I was expecting an overwhelming taste of apples, but I don't find that to be the case. The initial taste is a mixture of a soft apple taste that is drowned by an acidic, yeasty taste. The finish is more a strawberry(wierd, I know)/ apple taste.

Mouthfeel: I've had two Unibroue beers, and both have been fizzbombs. The carbonation is over the top. Swirl the beer in the glass two or three times and a full one inch head springs back to life. If the level of carbonation was lower, I think this would be a much better beer.

Drinkability: An interesting beer, looks good, smells great, taste is ok, but the fizzbomb factor will steer me away from this beer in the future.

4.09/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a mildly hazy golden yellow color. Very small head on the pour that disappears very quickly. No apparent lace on the glass.
Aroma of Jolly Rancher candies ! Holy smoke, batman that smells good. Behind the strong apple aroma is more subtle notes of yeast and wheat bread.
Flavor seems to be very light Trippel style with loads of apple added. The combination works very well and beer is sour yet balanced by some light malt and yeast.
Very nice mouthfeel with solid carbonation helping the sour taste go down smoothly.
I've avoided this beer because of an aversion to fruit beers. I should not have waited so long. Very nice brew.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

Unibreau Ephemere (Apple)

Appearance: Bananay golden, cloudy. Nice white frothy head with very good head retention.

Aroma: Grapy and winey. Very Very fruity in the nose. Smells of candied apple. Complex caramel smells.

Taste: Apple smell is way bigger than the apple taste. Apple is present in the middle of the tongue. Complex flavor with mild alcohol presence. Sweet candy caramel is present. Very smooth beer with mild aftertaste. Spicing is mild.

Notes: Overall a fun beer. Not something you'd want to drink a lot of. Might pair very well with a salad. Good starter beer for a night of tastings.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Apples used in the brew? Check. Aroma of Granny Smith apples? Check. Taste of green apples? Check.

Hooyah. This be apples beer, for sure.

Very slightly hazy golden body topped by highly retentive mounds of white froth that laces with incredible gusto. A taste of summer in January when stouts are the order of the day. Well, why not summer fruit? Yes!

This is one delightful brew so off the wall as to be totally memorable. Great dry taste and super crisp mouthfeel. Very good drinkability. Let's vote for motherhood and apple pie. Yeh!

4.27/5  rDev +18.6%

Hazy orangy yellow with a frothy head. Intense aromas of granny smith apple. Amazing smell fills the entire room. Touch of wheat and yeast round out the aromas. Taste is of unibroue yeast with a strong backing of wheat and pale malt. Apple adds a touch of sour and thankfully no sweetness. The sweetness comes from the smell and not the taste. Unique and fantastic.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

An interestin appearance...cloudy golden yellow with decent lacing. Distinct green apple smell with some light floral elements..plus a definite yeasty smell. Taste was strongly apple, witha bit of restrained hops in the background.Kind of like a cider, but with a rounded quality that was way beyond what I have ever tasted ina hard cider. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, with a very nice dry quality. A touch of a wit beer here, as yeastiness made its presence known from time to time. Very easy to drink. Probably even better during warmer weather...refreshing quality.

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Served with the yeast since this is a wit with fruit. It was actually difficult, had to drink a great deal before I could get to the yeast at the bottom to pour it in even though I'm sharing this with my girlfriend. These Blanche de Chambly glasses hold very little. Anyway, after all of that this becomes a very cloudy banana-colored brew with a large white head that stays pretty well. Aroma of apple Jolly Ranchers, yeasty banana taffy, and vanilla ice cream. Lots of sweetness. Have to give it points on that aroma, it's very unique. It surprises you when it hits your tongue, no non-malt sweetness at all and no invasive fruit character. There's a dose of green apple in there, but it's not overpowering and doesn't take away from the wheaty goodness of this interesting wit. Light-bodied with delicate yeast spiciness and lots of wheatiness with a touch of clove. Minimal hops, but they're there and balance it out well. It's like Blanche de Chambly with apples. I'd say this is a very good fruit beer, and I'm usually not a big fan of fruit beers. Up there with New Belgium's Frambozen.

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue