Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Éphémère (Apple) - Unibroue

Éphémère (Apple)Éphémère (Apple)

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-21-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Éphémère (Apple) Alström Bros
Reviews: 993 | Hads: 1,956
3.62/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a lemon color with a large three finger white head. There are a lot of bubbles streaming up from the bottom of the glass, to support the head on this beer. I could smells green apples before my nose got close to the glass. I can also smell wheat and some spices.

Tastes more tart than I thought it would based on the aroma. There is green apples. wheat, spices, Belgian yeast, light amount of green grape skin, and some acidity. Interesting flavor. Not what I expected, but not bad either.

Light bodied with plenty of carbonation. Finishes somewhat dry. Easy to drink and refreshing. I wouldn't mind trying this again, now that I know what to expect.

4.03/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

appearance - Nice color, liked it.
smell - a nice smell of apple, the amount of fruit is just right.
taste - Just right for an fruit beer.
mouthfeel - Not a lot to say here.
overall - A nice spring and summer beer. I think that unibroue got it right for want they wanted to share.

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance - Slight yellow, cloudy.

Smell - tart apple and wheat, but a touch of skunk after opening for the first couple of minutes.

Taste - Tart apple and wheat with a hint of hops.

Mouthfeel - A little thin with nice carbonation.

Overall - The beer was different. For those that don't like fruit it would be a turn off. For me it is just okay. Forgettable.

3.94/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - pile hazy yellow.

Smell - sweet green apple and wheat.

Taste - Green apples and wheat. Same as the nose.

Mouthfeel - A little thin with nice carbonation.

Overall - Not into many fruit beer but this one I like. Would buy this beer in the future.

3.51/5  rDev -3.3%

This is my first beer of this style. For this style its probably pretty good. I personally thought it was ok being someone who likes darker and hoppier beers. Not big on many Belgian beers and similar.

- Smell was great with a nice apple tartness probably the thing I liked most about this beer.

-Carbonation was pretty high lacing was light on the glass I poured into.

-mouthfeel was rather thin as expected color similar to wheat beers.

Overall not a bad summer beer but kinda sweet for me if I wanted something fruity Id rather have a Lambic but Id try it again if someone gave me one like they did this one.

3.92/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: The visuals are similar to that wheat style that screams golden cloudy goodness. 2 finger head dissipates quickly.
Smell: As soon as i popped the cork the smell slapped me face first, an unexpected wonderful fruity flavor.
Taste: The initial taste was better than expected. Little to no carbonation with hints of apple goodness and a very distinct "wheaty" rust towards the end. After drinking longer the fruity flavor begins to become overwhelming and reminds you that you are drinking some version of hard cider.
Overall the quality is there and the aroma is great but this drink is meant for people that do not drink IPA's and who enjoy sweet drinks.

3.56/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew pours a hazy orange color with a fluffy two finger head which dissipates quickly. Some of the head remains on top of the brew until the end; almost no lacing. Decent carbonation.

The smell is musty, yeasty, bubble gum and apples.

The taste follows the nose with the sweetness of the apples dominating the taste. Virtually no hop character to speak of, which is common for this style. This is bordering on too sweet but if you like apples then try it.

The mouth feel is thin, high in carbonation, not much else.

Overall this appears to be your average fruit beer, very sweet with the character of the dominating fruit, in this case apples, and then not anything else. One or two of these on a hot summer day, like today, would be nice but the sweetness gets to be too much after a two and I need something with some hops in it. Typical for the style; try it once.

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

Beautiful label, a fairy offering you a treaty. Let's see.
Hazy yellow golden color with a thin head with low retention.
Predominant aroma of apples and notes of malt, Belgian yeast and a mild tartness
Great flavor, perfect sour balance with notes of green apples, coriander and orange peel. Hints of white grapes. Acidy aftertaste and a bit dry, not so ephemera.
Light to medium body with good carbonation and tiny bubbles.
This is so much better than apple ciders. Great brewery, producing great beers. Can't wait for savoring their other batches.

I thought it was a fruity berry aroma more than apple.
Wheat beer taste initially - light crisp, then berry/ apple sweet taste
Mid to high carbonation, sweet linger. A little light for me.

650mml bottle bought from the Bottle Barn, Santa Rosa, USA a few days earlier. Shared between two people. As part of a six-week West Coast beer tour. See my blog for more details: carbeers.wordpress.com

4.56/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A light, fruit beer that embodies apple flavor without overpowering through sweetness. It's refreshing and crisp with a soft and subtle vanilla note on the smell and palate. You can drink four of these and not feel any bloated, heavy framboise-like, richness on the stomach. At a smooth 5.50% ABV, you don't have to struggle to get through it. Very good paired with meat and potatoes or pasta. Perfect on a summer day in a cold glass. I've only found them in singles or a 4-pack, $2.99 a piece or $10.99, respectively. Unibroue makes fantabulous beer, try the others!

3.96/5  rDev +9.1%

This is one unique tasting beer! Apple nose (of course) with hints of banana/bubble gum. Like a combination Heffe/Cider. Very tasty, but a little on the thin-side. The finish is quick--a hint of citrus tang then it's gone, unfortunate, but I would definitely drink this again.

4.41/5  rDev +21.5%

I'm at a loss to how anyone could say that this doesn't deliver what's advertised on the bottle.

It's fizzy, fun, light, not too-high in alcohol content, fruity, and quaffable.

I'll share a 750 of this anytime with a lady.

She'll love it, and so will I.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz/355ml brown Unibroue style bottle. Gold foiled with awesome artwork. Can't say I've had any beer with some sort of good looking Elf Fairy delivering a basket of freshly picked granny Smith green apples lol, but hey! It's well done. Poured this into a stemmed Belgian style tulip glass(fairly narrow glass).

A - wow.. What a brilliantly beautiful colored ale. Stunning bright yellow(maybe golden but idk if I can say golden with this). The yellow just glows with small and faint bright orange glowing within the yellow blaze. Head is magnificent.. No wait.. I turn back to the ale and it's gone. Well it was white and fluffy yet now you'd hardly know it existed. Based on what I saw 5 seconds ago this ale easily could have scored a 4.5 on appearance. Now just faint spots around the edge leaving no stick.

S - fresh and ripe green apples. I wouldn't say apple juice, but the sour apples are there in a huge way. Faint whiff of coriander and spices. Some wheat like malt in the background.

T - sour green apples with some wheat flavors. Yeast is pretty unique even for Unibroue. I get the orange peel just before the green apples take back over. Coriander and spiciness in the finish. Sour and tart throughout.

M - pretty light in the mouth. A real fruitiness to this one. Refreshing on a warm day? I'd like to think so. Easy to drink though I'm not sure I could do multiple due to the crisp apple like flavors.

O - hmm.. Im sorry, but I can't put this in the fruit beer/ale category.. Even with all the apple notes going on. There is still a wheat presence and it's noticeable. It's reminds me a lot of their witbier with a big apple punch. So I can't get past that and I sure as hell don't get a fruit beer with this. Is it fruity? Well yea, but it has enough wheat going on to be just some old fruit beer. Is it world class? As world class as it can get. A damn fine brewery with an idea and they perfected it. Problem is, that's not much in terms of what it is. I love Unibroue and this isn't a complete waste. It's as good as anyone will ever get with a wheat ale with apples and coriander lol. But that doesn't mean it's an A+ brew either. Just a very good brewery with an idea. I'll drink one in spring, but I won't go out of my way to get it. My wife does love it though and she hates beer of all kinds lmao.

3.27/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - lemon butter murky with some quickly fading cloud white head. No lacing.

S - light sweet banana notes orange peel is noticeable. Very sweet and fragrant.

T - simplistic sadly. Apples dominate naturally.

M - crisp aftertaste like white wine a bit dry despite low ABV

D - overall acceptable and tastes but not outstanding in any way. Maybe a good transition beer to or from ciders.

3.63/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tried a bottle of this maybe a handful of times over the past decade. Its type of bland sparkling apple punch taste and body, with that strange "herbal" (I assume now it was coriander?) overtone, was always something unique and memorable to me. Not that I found it distasteful - it was just something that didn't taste "beer" enough for me. In hindsight, it came across as a weak witbier with some things "off" about it....

Having sampled it on tap recently, I was struck by how much bolder the apple flavor and malt background were in this particular example - easily/arguably the best of any of the times I've had it. Thought I'd give a quick assessment of it at its "peak" -

A: hazy, pale yellow-gold liquid...white, sudsy head - looking fluffy, soft and inviting at first, then collapsing into a steady 1/4" cap, little lace....overall okay, but a bit thrown together

S: oxidizing Granny Smith concentrate (actually semi-potent and pleasant), maybe some coriander, maybe powdered ginger...has some nice things going on, but a little to mellow and old-potpourri-like

T: initially refreshing, lightly-fruity wheat ale - the browning apple skins, (thankfully fairly restrained) spices, and (comparatively more so) the super-mildly caramel-ish malt pull forward and linger just briefly through the finish, dropping off enough to let the floral coriander (I sure hope there's actually some in this) and yeast dominate the aftertaste....slightest bit moreish, overall

M: after remembering vividly how dainty and weightless this always felt, I was a bit delighted to find that this draft had a notch or two more roundness and fulfilling-ity to it....it's still light and mild (but never terribly bubbly), easy to drink but not something you'd slug

O: this is ridiculous! why have i put down so many words about this beer? oh well...

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Look:So, this poured a very pale, cloudy light straw color with light carbonation.

Smell:I vaguely remember having this on tap, so the smell was surprising and off-putting- it was of very strong yeast, apple cider, and almost like a stinky cheese

Taste: definitely tasting apple (light cider or apple soda), sweet, very slight Belgian taste with a quick, mostly clean finish. My wife thought it reminded her of NY seltzer. I think it was better than that.

Mouth feel: light to medium with decent carbonation

Would I have it again? Maybe on tap but probably not

3.64/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy sunflower yellow with a fluffy white head that goes down pretty quickly.

It smells like 1/2 pine tree and 1/2 apple tree. It is quite fabulous. You almost anticipate that it is going to be the most refreshing beer ever.

Tastes of apples but in a dry sense. Almost like they only brewed the skin. Slight pine notes and a little bit of apricot. Very light malt character. I was kinda hoping for more sweetness.

Very fizzy and highly carbonated. Tingles even after you swallow.

I likes it. Very refreshing and crisp.

2.45/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's weird that a Canadian brewing company can produce such good Belgian beers… but they have figured it out. Not sure if they get their ingredients (yeast, barley, malt, hops) from Belgium, but Unibroue has always done a great job with their beers. I have never had this one, and I was sad to learn that the other three are no longer made. I bet a peach beer would be delicious! I am also a little nervous about this particular bottle… there was some residue under the cork, so I hope the bottle (the beer) is good. If not, I am sure we will taste it. It poured fine, and looks great in the glass… so I am sure it's OK.

I could actually smell this as I was pouring it. The beer is brewed with apple juice and coriander. Since I like apple juice, I am sure I will enjoy this! Let's drink, people!

In the Glass: The beer poured like a typical wheat based beer. It has a nice orange color to it, and not much head to speak of. The beer does have a nice thin white later on the top. The fuzz (I will call this head fuzz) sits there just begging to be consumed. I hope this tastes like apple juice… or I am going to be sad! I really want some apple juice. Can you tell?

Nose: They also use nutmeg in this beer, and that is the first thing I smell here. I expected more apple aromas, but the nutmeg is a nice compromise. A second whiff gives me a nice apple aroma, but makes me think of hot apple cider with… you guessed it, nutmeg on top! Speaking of apples, pretty sure Sheryl put a new soap in the bathroom. It's apple!

Flavor: Before I drink this, please note that I am listening to Eric Church right now. Yes, Drink in My Hand is playing. Perfect drinking song! Oh, and I have a Captain and Coke beside me. Diet Coke, but still. The flavor, at first, is nice, but then some weird flavors take over. The finish is the best part, but we will get there. The beer is simple, clean, and easy to drink, but the flavor is weak and lacking. I am not getting much nutmeg, but the apple juice really comes through. (The burp is loaded with apple, too.) They use Granny Smith apples, which isn't my favorite apple. But still, the apple should, in a beer with apple in the name, be more prominent. This is the first Unibroue beer I haven't been impressed with.

Mouthfeel: The beer is thin, smooth, and VERY easy to drink. It has a low ABV, so you could sit here and chug a bomber and never know the difference. I think more bubbles might help this bottle. Not much really going on here, and what bubbles are there are toward the back of the palate. For $7.99 I expect much bigger/better flavor.

Aftertaste: This is the best part of the beer. It quickly becomes drying, and leaves a nice apple flavor in the aftertaste. Imagine chomping into a crisp apple in the middle of the summer… the flavor that lingers 5-7 minutes later is what I am experiencing here. The aftertaste is good, but not enough to get me to appreciate the beer past mediocre.

Thanks for trying Unibroue, but this is not your best effort. If the cassis, cranberry, and peach beers were anything like this, I can see why it was narrowed down to one… but I am curious why this one. If this is the best of the four, that's too bad. Now I want to get a bottle of the raspberry. Know anyone in Quebec?

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured into a wine glass

A- Turbid light gold. Lacy white head with a small lay retaining.

S- Refreshing apple and slight pineapple scent. A little malt: caramel, brown sugar.

T- Mellow slight malt, with an apple essence aftertaste. The apple isn't strong, but you feel it. Slight hint of coriander, which I was surprised I didn't smell. This was also unexpectedly not sweet.

M- Light and fizzy. Nothing spectacular to write about.

O- I think it is nice the apple flavor is not the center of this beer. The apple supports the malt, which I feel tastes like plain beer. It isn't phenomenal, but I enjoy that it is a fruit beer that isn't completely about the fruit.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

a very well made beer, certainly not for everyone, but unique as fruit beers go, since it isn't super sweet. the pour is hazy and very pale golden in color with a lively white head, fizzy and maybe pushing three inches tall. the nose is fruity like green apple skins, but not the flesh. there is very little sweetness or tartness in the nose, just sort of that apple essence. also a nice light wheat malt base and a fun bright Belgian yeast strain. the flavor is decidedly apple forward, but its like granny smith apples or something, not too sweet, not too tart, nice and clean and crisp. floral blossom apple and hop profile is more robust than anticipated, and it works well to sharpen things up. long curious finish where the yeast takes over. I liked the flavor of this quite a lot, despite what the BA community seems to think. its something different for sure, but it is absolutely artfully made whether you like it or not. awesome feel with upbeat carbonation and a fluffy but delicate texture. it really works, especially in early spring here. seems just right to me.

3.39/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: hazy flat yellow body with a one finger pure white head – no lacing

Aroma: very interesting bouquet; reminds me of fancy tropical fruits – papaya and guava; citrus peel, apples, pear, bread, sweet; yes it is white wine like

Flavors: tart apple, lemon/orange citrus meat, dusty yeast, mild coriander spice,

Mouthfeel: the carbonation has a fizzy feel, light sweet fruit, tart feel, lightly bitter – just a hint, halfway through low-moderate carbonation, strange lingering tart taste on the aftertaste … it’s guava like,

To the Point: this is a beer-cooler; it is good on a hot summer day; otherwise it is not for me

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a pale yellow in the glass with a decent head at pour but disppates quickly - almost like a soda. A thin layer of head remains at the end - fine carbonation - and can be excited with a swirl. Smell is fruity - green apple is present and maybe some lemon or other light citrus. Taste is good - green apple is present and mutes some of the other normal beer flavors. Still good.

4.07/5  rDev +12.1%

Light appearance. Exactly what you would expect.

Very heavy fruit smell. The taste is less fruity than the nose. Not much hop, some malt. Clean finish. Very refreshing. Complex for a "fruit beer." Very drinkable.

A beer-drinker's fruit brew. Would be very good during hot weather.

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%

Look (3.5/5) ~ pours a medium straw colour with some orange in there. The head was moderate: it rose high off a good pour, fell very quickly without any real lacing. Clarity was hazy, but not totally opaque.

Smell (4/5) ~ The aroma is really all yeast and fruit addition. I get the normal unibroue yeast aroma that you’d expect, but there is a slight acidity and pepperiness that make it a little more like a saison. The apple notes do a good job of straddling intense sourness with a nice sweetness .

Taste (4/5) ~ More or less the same as you get on the nose. The malt character is extremely gentle and distant in the background: I’d guess mostly pilsner or very pale ale malt with some wheat as well (because there is a very slight graininess in there). There’s no real hop flavour, but enough bitterness for balance (although this is mainly done with the acidity). The fruitiness blends really well with the spicy notes (coriander, pepper) and has a flavour a lot like apple skins.

Feel (3.5/5) ~ higher carbonation and very light body make for a refreshing brew that sets off the flavours of the apples really well. Sour beers pretty much need a light body.

Much better than the black currant version of this brew. It was very light and drinkable and really played up the apple flavours with a nice background yeast character.

I’ll just note that the bottle call cellared for about a year and a half.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with a fluffy one finger head. Not much in the way of lacing but pretty good head retention.

Lots of apple in the aroma, almost a candy apple quality along with some very light caramel. Apple really dominates, though.

Lots of apple up front in the taste along with a decent amount of tartness transitioning into a light wheat character. The entire mouthfeel is very light with just slight bitterness towards the finish. Very refreshing.

Overall, this beer is a little one dimensional but very nicely put together. Would be wonderful on a hot day during the summer.

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue