Éphémère (Apple) - Unibroue

Quebec, Canada

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: kbub6f on 10-21-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Éphémère (Apple) Alström Bros
Reviews: 986 | Hads: 1,937
3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

Beautiful label, a fairy offering you a treaty. Let's see.
Hazy yellow golden color with a thin head with low retention.
Predominant aroma of apples and notes of malt, Belgian yeast and a mild tartness
Great flavor, perfect sour balance with notes of green apples, coriander and orange peel. Hints of white grapes. Acidy aftertaste and a bit dry, not so ephemera.
Light to medium body with good carbonation and tiny bubbles.
This is so much better than apple ciders. Great brewery, producing great beers. Can't wait for savoring their other batches. (549 characters)

I thought it was a fruity berry aroma more than apple.
Wheat beer taste initially - light crisp, then berry/ apple sweet taste
Mid to high carbonation, sweet linger. A little light for me.

650mml bottle bought from the Bottle Barn, Santa Rosa, USA a few days earlier. Shared between two people. As part of a six-week West Coast beer tour. See my blog for more details: carbeers.wordpress.com (393 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A light, fruit beer that embodies apple flavor without overpowering through sweetness. It's refreshing and crisp with a soft and subtle vanilla note on the smell and palate. You can drink four of these and not feel any bloated, heavy framboise-like, richness on the stomach. At a smooth 5.50% ABV, you don't have to struggle to get through it. Very good paired with meat and potatoes or pasta. Perfect on a summer day in a cold glass. I've only found them in singles or a 4-pack, $2.99 a piece or $10.99, respectively. Unibroue makes fantabulous beer, try the others! (567 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +8.8%

This is one unique tasting beer! Apple nose (of course) with hints of banana/bubble gum. Like a combination Heffe/Cider. Very tasty, but a little on the thin-side. The finish is quick--a hint of citrus tang then it's gone, unfortunate, but I would definitely drink this again. (276 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +21.2%

I'm at a loss to how anyone could say that this doesn't deliver what's advertised on the bottle.

It's fizzy, fun, light, not too-high in alcohol content, fruity, and quaffable.

I'll share a 750 of this anytime with a lady.

She'll love it, and so will I. (256 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz/355ml brown Unibroue style bottle. Gold foiled with awesome artwork. Can't say I've had any beer with some sort of good looking Elf Fairy delivering a basket of freshly picked granny Smith green apples lol, but hey! It's well done. Poured this into a stemmed Belgian style tulip glass(fairly narrow glass).

A - wow.. What a brilliantly beautiful colored ale. Stunning bright yellow(maybe golden but idk if I can say golden with this). The yellow just glows with small and faint bright orange glowing within the yellow blaze. Head is magnificent.. No wait.. I turn back to the ale and it's gone. Well it was white and fluffy yet now you'd hardly know it existed. Based on what I saw 5 seconds ago this ale easily could have scored a 4.5 on appearance. Now just faint spots around the edge leaving no stick.

S - fresh and ripe green apples. I wouldn't say apple juice, but the sour apples are there in a huge way. Faint whiff of coriander and spices. Some wheat like malt in the background.

T - sour green apples with some wheat flavors. Yeast is pretty unique even for Unibroue. I get the orange peel just before the green apples take back over. Coriander and spiciness in the finish. Sour and tart throughout.

M - pretty light in the mouth. A real fruitiness to this one. Refreshing on a warm day? I'd like to think so. Easy to drink though I'm not sure I could do multiple due to the crisp apple like flavors.

O - hmm.. Im sorry, but I can't put this in the fruit beer/ale category.. Even with all the apple notes going on. There is still a wheat presence and it's noticeable. It's reminds me a lot of their witbier with a big apple punch. So I can't get past that and I sure as hell don't get a fruit beer with this. Is it fruity? Well yea, but it has enough wheat going on to be just some old fruit beer. Is it world class? As world class as it can get. A damn fine brewery with an idea and they perfected it. Problem is, that's not much in terms of what it is. I love Unibroue and this isn't a complete waste. It's as good as anyone will ever get with a wheat ale with apples and coriander lol. But that doesn't mean it's an A+ brew either. Just a very good brewery with an idea. I'll drink one in spring, but I won't go out of my way to get it. My wife does love it though and she hates beer of all kinds lmao. (2,327 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - lemon butter murky with some quickly fading cloud white head. No lacing.

S - light sweet banana notes orange peel is noticeable. Very sweet and fragrant.

T - simplistic sadly. Apples dominate naturally.

M - crisp aftertaste like white wine a bit dry despite low ABV

D - overall acceptable and tastes but not outstanding in any way. Maybe a good transition beer to or from ciders. (390 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tried a bottle of this maybe a handful of times over the past decade. Its type of bland sparkling apple punch taste and body, with that strange "herbal" (I assume now it was coriander?) overtone, was always something unique and memorable to me. Not that I found it distasteful - it was just something that didn't taste "beer" enough for me. In hindsight, it came across as a weak witbier with some things "off" about it....

Having sampled it on tap recently, I was struck by how much bolder the apple flavor and malt background were in this particular example - easily/arguably the best of any of the times I've had it. Thought I'd give a quick assessment of it at its "peak" -

A: hazy, pale yellow-gold liquid...white, sudsy head - looking fluffy, soft and inviting at first, then collapsing into a steady 1/4" cap, little lace....overall okay, but a bit thrown together

S: oxidizing Granny Smith concentrate (actually semi-potent and pleasant), maybe some coriander, maybe powdered ginger...has some nice things going on, but a little to mellow and old-potpourri-like

T: initially refreshing, lightly-fruity wheat ale - the browning apple skins, (thankfully fairly restrained) spices, and (comparatively more so) the super-mildly caramel-ish malt pull forward and linger just briefly through the finish, dropping off enough to let the floral coriander (I sure hope there's actually some in this) and yeast dominate the aftertaste....slightest bit moreish, overall

M: after remembering vividly how dainty and weightless this always felt, I was a bit delighted to find that this draft had a notch or two more roundness and fulfilling-ity to it....it's still light and mild (but never terribly bubbly), easy to drink but not something you'd slug

O: this is ridiculous! why have i put down so many words about this beer? oh well... (1,835 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Look:So, this poured a very pale, cloudy light straw color with light carbonation.

Smell:I vaguely remember having this on tap, so the smell was surprising and off-putting- it was of very strong yeast, apple cider, and almost like a stinky cheese

Taste: definitely tasting apple (light cider or apple soda), sweet, very slight Belgian taste with a quick, mostly clean finish. My wife thought it reminded her of NY seltzer. I think it was better than that.

Mouth feel: light to medium with decent carbonation

Would I have it again? Maybe on tap but probably not (564 characters)

3.64/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy sunflower yellow with a fluffy white head that goes down pretty quickly.

It smells like 1/2 pine tree and 1/2 apple tree. It is quite fabulous. You almost anticipate that it is going to be the most refreshing beer ever.

Tastes of apples but in a dry sense. Almost like they only brewed the skin. Slight pine notes and a little bit of apricot. Very light malt character. I was kinda hoping for more sweetness.

Very fizzy and highly carbonated. Tingles even after you swallow.

I likes it. Very refreshing and crisp. (530 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

It's weird that a Canadian brewing company can produce such good Belgian beers… but they have figured it out. Not sure if they get their ingredients (yeast, barley, malt, hops) from Belgium, but Unibroue has always done a great job with their beers. I have never had this one, and I was sad to learn that the other three are no longer made. I bet a peach beer would be delicious! I am also a little nervous about this particular bottle… there was some residue under the cork, so I hope the bottle (the beer) is good. If not, I am sure we will taste it. It poured fine, and looks great in the glass… so I am sure it's OK.

I could actually smell this as I was pouring it. The beer is brewed with apple juice and coriander. Since I like apple juice, I am sure I will enjoy this! Let's drink, people!

In the Glass: The beer poured like a typical wheat based beer. It has a nice orange color to it, and not much head to speak of. The beer does have a nice thin white later on the top. The fuzz (I will call this head fuzz) sits there just begging to be consumed. I hope this tastes like apple juice… or I am going to be sad! I really want some apple juice. Can you tell?

Nose: They also use nutmeg in this beer, and that is the first thing I smell here. I expected more apple aromas, but the nutmeg is a nice compromise. A second whiff gives me a nice apple aroma, but makes me think of hot apple cider with… you guessed it, nutmeg on top! Speaking of apples, pretty sure Sheryl put a new soap in the bathroom. It's apple!

Flavor: Before I drink this, please note that I am listening to Eric Church right now. Yes, Drink in My Hand is playing. Perfect drinking song! Oh, and I have a Captain and Coke beside me. Diet Coke, but still. The flavor, at first, is nice, but then some weird flavors take over. The finish is the best part, but we will get there. The beer is simple, clean, and easy to drink, but the flavor is weak and lacking. I am not getting much nutmeg, but the apple juice really comes through. (The burp is loaded with apple, too.) They use Granny Smith apples, which isn't my favorite apple. But still, the apple should, in a beer with apple in the name, be more prominent. This is the first Unibroue beer I haven't been impressed with.

Mouthfeel: The beer is thin, smooth, and VERY easy to drink. It has a low ABV, so you could sit here and chug a bomber and never know the difference. I think more bubbles might help this bottle. Not much really going on here, and what bubbles are there are toward the back of the palate. For $7.99 I expect much bigger/better flavor.

Aftertaste: This is the best part of the beer. It quickly becomes drying, and leaves a nice apple flavor in the aftertaste. Imagine chomping into a crisp apple in the middle of the summer… the flavor that lingers 5-7 minutes later is what I am experiencing here. The aftertaste is good, but not enough to get me to appreciate the beer past mediocre.

Thanks for trying Unibroue, but this is not your best effort. If the cassis, cranberry, and peach beers were anything like this, I can see why it was narrowed down to one… but I am curious why this one. If this is the best of the four, that's too bad. Now I want to get a bottle of the raspberry. Know anyone in Quebec? (3,278 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured into a wine glass

A- Turbid light gold. Lacy white head with a small lay retaining.

S- Refreshing apple and slight pineapple scent. A little malt: caramel, brown sugar.

T- Mellow slight malt, with an apple essence aftertaste. The apple isn't strong, but you feel it. Slight hint of coriander, which I was surprised I didn't smell. This was also unexpectedly not sweet.

M- Light and fizzy. Nothing spectacular to write about.

O- I think it is nice the apple flavor is not the center of this beer. The apple supports the malt, which I feel tastes like plain beer. It isn't phenomenal, but I enjoy that it is a fruit beer that isn't completely about the fruit. (676 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

a very well made beer, certainly not for everyone, but unique as fruit beers go, since it isn't super sweet. the pour is hazy and very pale golden in color with a lively white head, fizzy and maybe pushing three inches tall. the nose is fruity like green apple skins, but not the flesh. there is very little sweetness or tartness in the nose, just sort of that apple essence. also a nice light wheat malt base and a fun bright Belgian yeast strain. the flavor is decidedly apple forward, but its like granny smith apples or something, not too sweet, not too tart, nice and clean and crisp. floral blossom apple and hop profile is more robust than anticipated, and it works well to sharpen things up. long curious finish where the yeast takes over. I liked the flavor of this quite a lot, despite what the BA community seems to think. its something different for sure, but it is absolutely artfully made whether you like it or not. awesome feel with upbeat carbonation and a fluffy but delicate texture. it really works, especially in early spring here. seems just right to me. (1,076 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: hazy flat yellow body with a one finger pure white head – no lacing

Aroma: very interesting bouquet; reminds me of fancy tropical fruits – papaya and guava; citrus peel, apples, pear, bread, sweet; yes it is white wine like

Flavors: tart apple, lemon/orange citrus meat, dusty yeast, mild coriander spice,

Mouthfeel: the carbonation has a fizzy feel, light sweet fruit, tart feel, lightly bitter – just a hint, halfway through low-moderate carbonation, strange lingering tart taste on the aftertaste … it’s guava like,

To the Point: this is a beer-cooler; it is good on a hot summer day; otherwise it is not for me (642 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a pale yellow in the glass with a decent head at pour but disppates quickly - almost like a soda. A thin layer of head remains at the end - fine carbonation - and can be excited with a swirl. Smell is fruity - green apple is present and maybe some lemon or other light citrus. Taste is good - green apple is present and mutes some of the other normal beer flavors. Still good. (382 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +11.8%

Light appearance. Exactly what you would expect.

Very heavy fruit smell. The taste is less fruity than the nose. Not much hop, some malt. Clean finish. Very refreshing. Complex for a "fruit beer." Very drinkable.

A beer-drinker's fruit brew. Would be very good during hot weather. (283 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +4.1%

Look (3.5/5) ~ pours a medium straw colour with some orange in there. The head was moderate: it rose high off a good pour, fell very quickly without any real lacing. Clarity was hazy, but not totally opaque.

Smell (4/5) ~ The aroma is really all yeast and fruit addition. I get the normal unibroue yeast aroma that you’d expect, but there is a slight acidity and pepperiness that make it a little more like a saison. The apple notes do a good job of straddling intense sourness with a nice sweetness .

Taste (4/5) ~ More or less the same as you get on the nose. The malt character is extremely gentle and distant in the background: I’d guess mostly pilsner or very pale ale malt with some wheat as well (because there is a very slight graininess in there). There’s no real hop flavour, but enough bitterness for balance (although this is mainly done with the acidity). The fruitiness blends really well with the spicy notes (coriander, pepper) and has a flavour a lot like apple skins.

Feel (3.5/5) ~ higher carbonation and very light body make for a refreshing brew that sets off the flavours of the apples really well. Sour beers pretty much need a light body.

Much better than the black currant version of this brew. It was very light and drinkable and really played up the apple flavours with a nice background yeast character.

I’ll just note that the bottle call cellared for about a year and a half. (1,418 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow with a fluffy one finger head. Not much in the way of lacing but pretty good head retention.

Lots of apple in the aroma, almost a candy apple quality along with some very light caramel. Apple really dominates, though.

Lots of apple up front in the taste along with a decent amount of tartness transitioning into a light wheat character. The entire mouthfeel is very light with just slight bitterness towards the finish. Very refreshing.

Overall, this beer is a little one dimensional but very nicely put together. Would be wonderful on a hot day during the summer. (634 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Cloudy, golden yellow, with a thick head of golden-white foam that quickly faded, leaving a thin lacing behind.

S: Tart apples, wheat, coriander, spice.

T: No malty sweetness whatsoever, this one goes straight to tangy fruit (apples, maybe nectarines). The wheat flavor follows, and comes on strong; there is no doubt that this is, at its heart, a Belgian Witbier, complete with a potent yeasty flavor. I guess there's some spice as well, but it's drowned by the other flavors. There's a faint bitterness late, but it returns to tart & fruity in the finish.

M: Crisp, and carbonation is fair, but the thing I notice most is the very-dry (bordering on astringent) finish.

O: I was expecting more apple and less wheat & yeast than this one delivered. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as I'd hoped (especially based on some of Unibroue's other offerings).

BTW, unless you have vice-grip hands, I recommend a pair of pliers to help you uncork this one! (960 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured from a bomber to a Tulip

A- hazy straw, 2" white head

S- intense sour apple candy, bubblegum, artificial watermelon

T- follows the nose, sour apple candy, bubblegum, artificial watermelon

M- medium body, crisp carbonation

O- the least most complex beer i have ever tasted. Sour green apple candy. That's basically all there is in both aroma/flavor. It also reminds me of watermelon bubblegum. Luckily i love both, so i can't possible give this a bad score. I was told on the label exactly what it was, and i enjoyed every second of it. Complexity be damned, this beer is simply awesome. (598 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.1%

Pours a clear golden color with a thick, fluffy white head with good retention.

The scent is of sweet apples, some bready malt, and spices.

The taste is of sweet apple, citrus, bready malt, notes of yeast, and spice.

Light body, soft and crisp, moderate carbonation.

I really enjoyed this beer, the apple was a little consuming but it was still a nice easy drinker. (371 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle in to a pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy light orange/yellow body with a thin cap of white foam that disappears within 15 seconds. A good amount of carbonation rising to the top keeps the surface lively.

S- Almost entirely apples and just a faint offering of spice.

T- A tart apple sweetness makes up most of the taste, with some spice and wheat backing it up. This reminds me of gummy bears a little, but better. The taste is not overpowering by any means. Almost no alcohol presence to speak of.

M- Thin-bodied mouthfeel but a lot of carbonation fills out the mouth. Finishes much cleaner than any beer in recent memory.

O- When taken for what it is, it's quite good. When compared to the quality and depth of beers of other styles, it falls short. (779 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Best before 05-31-14.

A: Pours an opaque light golden yellow with a 1.5 finger puffy white head. It is quick to dissipate leaving just a little lace and a real thin film.

S: Apple is the highlight of the aroma. Has what seems like orange or another spice as well as some yeastiness.

T: Luckily this is more yeast forward than apple leaving it well within the beer realm. An apple sweetness in the back, some orange notes at the end. Better

M: Light and crisp on the palate. Has a good amount of carbonation. Pretty easy drinking.

Overall better than I originally though it would be. More sessionable and not as sweet and sticky as other fruit beers. (693 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +25.5%

Have had this one both on tap, and in a bottle.

A- Light golden color with foamy white head.

S- It smells like a granny smith apple.

T- Tart apple finish on a very light, refreshing ale-like body.

M- Almost like a champagne, very bubbly.

I would pick this above most hard ciders if I was in the mood for cider. Very refreshing and light tasting beer. It is a very solid midpoint between a sweet cider and a glass of champagne. (432 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%

Bottle sample. Light golden color, slightly cloudy, small white head. Ripe fruits on the nose with some white wine like aroma (Chardonnay). Baked apple flavors with some yeast. light artificial notes. No bitterness what so ever. Light body, not rich enough in malts (265 characters)

Éphémère (Apple) from Unibroue