Unibroue 16 - Unibroue

Unibroue 16Unibroue 16

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: taez555 on 02-16-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Unibroue 16 Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

Special thanks to ahalloin for bringing this retired brew to a tasting.

A: Mildly cloudy, golden color, with about a 1-2 finger head that stayed fairly present throughout the session. The carbonation was substantial.

S: Mildly metallic, with tons of "moderately" dark fruit notes (eg. plums) , and with a decent scent of fresh filtered water. Boozy? Hell yeah!

T: On the taste, there wasn't much fresh about it. Not only did I get more metal, but I would even go as far as calling it "rust-like"... about like drinking previously frozen water off a lamp post. As I got into the session, this undesirable quality decreased. Pilsner-esque, with a bit of plum and mango notes.

M: Carbonation has never been an issue with Unibroue .... in this category, this fine brewery is about as good as it gets! Thick enough for this style, but the overpowering booze killed the day and then some. This was probably due to age.

D: I had a discussion with another BA at the session about describing something as oxidized vs. metallic in terms of taste. I often use the term metallic interchangeably and perhaps I shouldn't. Nevertheless, this one was past its prime.

Chaney, Dec 23, 2010

cripsyxpanda, Jan 14, 2012

The Unibroue 10 and 11 were fantastic and they have really just gone downhill from there. The cellared 10 and 11's are still grand but the "Editions" if you will, and this one, are just not worth the time. Golden sugar brown with a big white fluffy head of foam, it sure looks good, but the aroma is just that same zesty unibroue yeast in the foreground with some fruit and bread in the backend. No hops really to speak of just a hint of spiciness from the battered boys. Taste is fizzy and boozy as hell, yeasty as all get out and fruity as jam. Three words: Sugary, Sweet, Thick. Mouthfeel is spritzy/syrupy and HOT as hell in herr, for reall diggs! Drinkability is low as I get bored and would rather just drink something better....YAWN!

francisweizen, Feb 10, 2008

TimH, May 19, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

Orange amber pour, not pale as expected. A decent head forms but doesn't stick around.

Aroma is caramel, candy sugars, and the trademark Uni yeast note with a strong presence of alcohol. There's a bit of damp fruit and subtle spice.

The flavor is similar, but maltier tasting than some other Uni beers, and very boozey. It's not very complex or interesting, hopefully some time will improve it.

Body is medium, slick and sticky. Just not tastey enough to make me want to drink alot of this. The alcohol heat definately detracts some points too. I'm sadly underwhelmed by this offering.

AlexJ, Mar 27, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours dark orangy brown with a two finger head. Good retention. Unimpressive but present lace.

The smell is sweet malt, banana and clove

The taste is really underwhelming. Maybe the age hasn't treated this well, but it came off as spicy, chalky, carmelly and dry. Not very complex; malty and biscuity. An unsurprising lack of hop profile. Surprisingly, no fruit.

Clean, sparkly and light mouthfeel. Very crisp and rather unsatisfying.

For as much as I didn't like this beer, the alcohol was EXTREMELY well hidden. Not detectable at all, and extremely dry. Very drinkable, for what it is.

I'd imagine this was once an awesome beer, but as it survives us, not good, and definitely not worth the 10 bucks I paid.

photomike, May 18, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

A: Pours a bright, slightly opaque golden with a large birch-bark coloured head. Bubbles make the voyage from the bottom to the top of the glass with regularity. Some floaties.

S: Fruity Belgian yeast is most prominent (Unibroue's strain). Mild smell of dark fruit and bright citrus (orange). Light banana. Gets a bit bready as it warms, with a medicinal character.

T: Fruity, citrus/orange. Bready, but takes a back seat to the fruity citrus and yeast byproducts. Lots of orange, a little clove. Spicy graham cracker. The alcohol melds with the spice in a rather unpleasant way as it warms.

M: Medium body with abundant carbonation (a boatload). To the point of being annoying, irritating to my stomach even.

D: Overpowering fruity/yeasty character makes this something I won't reach for again.

darklordlager, Jan 08, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Bottle:

Clouded ruby amber with a smallish cap.

Sweetness dominates aroma...figs demarara, some floral hops, fusel alcohol...pretty standard UniBroue nose.

Thick demerara-molasses-fig tastes. floral hops, rich, musty yeast discernment and long warming alcoholic finish steeped in sweet dried fruit tastes...a tad rough and alcoholic...needs work or aging.

Pretty standard...Unibroue really have to worry about these special brews rating no better than other standard U-ales....lack of creativity, sameness and I’m sad to say over priced for what you get.

pootz, Oct 10, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

A- Massive white head, murky amber body, sudsy lacing.

S - Tropical fruit, banana, bread.

T - Sweet malt up front, followed by the smell attributes. Good, but not very balanced. Perhaps a little cloying, as might be the style.

M - Same as Taste. Medium body and a little sudsy, as is the style.

D - Middle of the road for the style.

srandycarter, Dec 09, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

fairly deep colored amber with a rather large off white head. Nicely held with some lacing.
Very sweet in the nose. Almost candy like with some fruity undertones. Perhaps pears are what i smell.
Taste really on the sweet side with no hops to pick out. Liquid candy? with a big full mouthfeel.
I dont think I could drink many of these, although the high alchohol is well hidden.
Rather smooth.

dmamiano, Jul 27, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Reviewed 9/28/2007 (bottle):

Pours a reddish brownish colored body, with a smooth head, off-white in color, and somewhat lasting. Has a very sugary flowery aroma, with some alcohol. Sweet, refreshing, and flowery taste. Some warming from the alcohol. Very sweet. Good as it warms up more.

jujubeast6000, Feb 18, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Serving Size: 750ml Bottle

Apperance: Poured a cloudy orange hue w/ about a 1 finger head that lingered for some time.

Smell: Orange, yeast, maybe some honey? A bit of spice mixed in

Taste: Very strong drink that has a lot of lemon mixed in w/ the malty flavour. A little harsh of a beer where the flavours didn't appear balanced. What I did enjoy was the warmth of the alcohol that lingered around. Apple was also mixed in w/ the flavour

Mouthfeel: The warm feeling was great as it lingered for some time. A thick feeling drink w/ maybe a touch to much carbonation

Drinkability: I feel that because of the high alcohol content that maybe the beer wouldn't be so drinkable but the alcohol blends in nicely w/ the flavours.

Overall a good drink I just feel like the taste is a bit off balanced. The lemony flavour seemed a bit harsh, I wish the apple/spicey flavours stood out a little more

livingregret, Aug 25, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

A: The pour is an orange-amber color with a thin layer of off-white foam.

S: Definitely a lot of oxidation happening here. Stale sugar, particularly brown sugar, with some cardboard. A fairly potent orange peel note, which is actually nice.

T: This is intensely sweet, but I suppose it works out alright. Lots of fruit character such as oranges, pears, apples, maybe strawberries. Some caramel, too, just for good measure. It's still quite oxidized, despite what good flavors that are there.

M: The body is medium with a moderate carbonation.

D: Despite the flaws, this one wasn't horrendous. Some decent points to it, which was pleasant in what was a lackluster lineup overall.

womencantsail, Dec 20, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -17%

A: Pours a very cloudy burnt orange color with a really active off white head, that likes to stick around for quite a bit and then when it does recede it leaves. A full coating of lacing around the glass. Quite nice looking.

S: Very strong sweet smell emanates from the glass. I get whiffs off fruits (bananas?) sweet sugary malts and some nice spices to compliment the others.

T: Bittery sweetness is what first comes to mind, very spice filled beer, not as sweet as I would have imagined, and the hops do make themselves known here
Not really impressed with this offering too much.

MF: Maybe a bit too much carbonation but other than that it's not too bad. 4.0

D: With the ABV on this and my feelings on the taste, it's only average.

ChillMike, Feb 03, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Unibroue 16th Anniversary

Appearance: Pours a pretty golden brown with visible bubbling trails of carbonation. Small flecks of sediment that float throughout. A nice yellowish-white head lingers for several minutes.

Smell: Very sweet, shortbready aroma. Smell is very subdued and light. Dark fruits and caramel, mixed with a little bit of citrus. Alcohol comes out very strongly as it warms up.

Taste: Strong flavor, despite the light smell--Fruity and sweet, with hints of spiciness. Hard to put my finger on nameable flavors, yet very characteristic of something I can't put my finger on.

Mouthfeel: Bubbly and bright. Significant carbonation. Taste lingers in your mouth for quite some time between sips.

Drinkability: Very pleasant right away. As is warms, however it gets pretty strong and unpleasant in more than just a few sips.

LittleBug31, Jan 08, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -15.2%

A- Rather cloudy burnt orange with beautiful silky head.

S- Smells like a good belgian. Yeasty, bready, biscuity, pepper, floral and fruity esters, some subdued maltiness and just a hint of alcohol.

T- Sigh. Not what I was hoping for. Good, but not great. Little sweetness, i was expecting more malt and more caramel. There is a tinny, metallic off-flavor that overrides in the finish. The initial flavor is yeast, then a sour/salty flavor that's reminiscent of seawater. It's not bad, none of these are very pronounced, don't hear that. But they're all there. Kind of a strawy impression... I don't know. I think this needs cellaring or something... I'm not sure. As i said, good but not great.

M- The mouthfeel is wonderful. Silky, thick, smooth. Glides down, feels almost like a nitro-tap.

D- Pretty good. If it was slightly sweeter, it would be better. I'd drink it again. But I won't seek it out...

khiasmus, Apr 30, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

750 into Duvel tulip. Loud pop of the cork.

Very carbonated. Thick head even after it subsides. Well-carbonated all the way through. Pretty color. A brilliant reddish amber with some orangey-gold coming through.

Smell is of cork. Duvel-esque, yeasty, champagne-like. Some caramel. Some fruit too; I guess pear the most.

Taste is little sweeter. Some plum, pear, sweet peach, and fig. Brown sugar. A little to sweet for me. I wish I had more to say about the flavor, but it's unfortunately not that complex to me. There is a slight hop presence considering it's been aged almost 2 years - an initial bitterness.

It's thick, but the sweetness detracts from taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability for me. I will still finish the 750 though. This is no drain-pour. The champagne qualities are pleasant.

I can't really think of anything else like this beer. It's like a Imperial Biere de Garde. Unfortunately, the look and mouthfeel are by far its best qualities to me.

I remembered this being a more hoppy Unibroue beer and liking it fresh. We may be in an in-between period here for aging. I kinda wish I had let it go longer considering I have no more...

MEsquandoles, Jan 17, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Deep colored amber with a thick foamy off-white head. Intresting aroma of green apple, sweet cinnamon candy, some hops sneaking through. Mostly a sweet/tart mix that has me intrigued. Taste is also tart with green apple notes, definite sweet malty undertones and some background spice. Some yeast notes intertwined but this Belgian strong pale ale is not overpowered by the yeast at all.

Big on body, thick and real in the mouth. I am left with an after-twang or sour apple jolly ranchers. Not at all unpleasant but I can see where this may be too sweet for many.

Drinkability is low, but hey it's 10% after all. This is well hidden BTW.

ZimZamZoom, Jul 27, 2008

Sampled April 2007
Pours with a frothy, large bubbled, amber-tinged, tan colored, initially three-finger thick head that sits atop a brilliantly clear, fully reddish colored beer. The aroma smells of earthy spices (coriander clove and a touch of herbal character) as I pour this into my glass. As I go in for a deeper draught of the aroma I get notes of figs, prunes and raisins all of which contribute to the sweet concentrated fruit aromatics found in this beer. Underneath this is some toasted malt character as well as notes of biscuits and caramelized fruity malt.

The taste is fairly sweet, but it is in no way sticky. It picks up a really rich, fruity note reminiscent of raisins and perhaps some figs as the flavors linger on the tongue in the finish. Despite its richness, the beer is not that heavy; there is a medium fullness to the beer, but it is still fairly drinkable. There is a strong, earthy spiciness here that is probably from the characteristic Unibroue yeast. It is not quite as strong as the Chimay yeast, but it is still quite distinctive and at times distracting.

This beer would be awesome if it weren't for the earthy-spice notes that are just a bit too overpowering. Still it is a reasonably enjoyable brew, just one that could be better.

Gueuzedude, May 02, 2007
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Edit: April 20, 2009
I bought two bottles when it came out; one was drunk right away and reviewed below. The other was set aside for a couple of years. Big improvement. The flavors have all blended together a bit and mellowed out, while the sugar has converted to alcohol more completely.

The original review had a rating of only C+; I've updated that today.

Original:

Talk about a disappointment!

I missed out on the 15th anniversary ale (a good thing, maybe) but caught the #16. I expected more; sadly, I got foamy and oversweetness:

The beer poured all head (it sat upright for more than a week in one place, so it wasn't shaken). It eventually went down into a liquid form- a nice light orange-y brown color. Still a ton of bubbles, both on top and coming up from below (yes, it was a clean glass; no detergent, chips, or flaws).

The smell was mostly of the yeast- a light bread like aroma which was nice but lacked any other notes that I could detect.

The taste was, in a word, sweet. No hop balance. No malt flavor. Very little alcohol burn (I expected a bit more from a 10% brew). It was like Mountain Dew and a splash of vodka.

A huge letdown- the worst Unibroue I've ever had (and I don't like their "Ephemere" or the "Quel que Chose" very much).

MAB, Mar 12, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -14%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Pours a deep amber color with a head that is on the beer through the whole pint. Smell is very sweet. A very spicy and fruity beer. My only complaint is the carbonation. It was nearly undrinkable with all the bubbles that I was ingesting. After every sip, I had to burp to stay comfortable. A good beer, but I don't know if I would pick it up again.

jdubjacket, Mar 30, 2008

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

westcoastbeerlvr, Nov 15, 2011

djrn2, Jan 15, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice to see the Unibroue anniversary editions still offered here in AB. Although, well, we'll get to that...

Comes in the usual 750 ml caged and corked brown bottle, silver foil label of 16 this time around. Pours out a hazy caramel amber, marmalade tones when held to the light. Loose spongy off-white head on the pour that settles to a thick creamy cap.

The aroma is very yeasty, spicy and dusty and rather dry. However there are sweetish notes of dried fruit, figs, currants and apricots.

Upon first sip I get reminiscences of the immortal Unibroue 10, but not quite on the same par. In fact up front I think it's the presence of the candi sugar that eventually showed up after the 10 aged a few years that is setting off this memory. This stuff is fresh, and the candi sugar is right there in your face. Hmmmm.... Spicy yeasty phenols are very present as well. The malt is fairly light and fig-like in it's sweetness, it seems as if the majority of the flavour profile of this anniversary outing relies heavily on the yeast presence.

The mouthfeel is smooth, yet somewhat lighter in body and consistency than its predecessors, even the 10 and 11. It does suit the flavour profile however, but I find that lacking in presence as well, watered down if you will. The Sleeman effect in effect once again perhaps...

I'll admit it, I'm rather disappointed with this anniversary edition. I found last year's lacking as well, and I'd hate to think that this shall be the new trend from now on, although I'm only going on 2 years worth of trend thus far. However those have been the 2 years that Sleeman has been the Papa Bear owner and influence on this brewery since it was bought out. Hopefully we'll all get the chance to sample an offering from next year's anniversary edition, and hopefully my theory will be proven wrong.

IronDjinn, Mar 17, 2007