Join our email list →

Belgian Strong Dark Ale | 10.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2002

Reviews: 931 | Hads: 2,122
4.69/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Chimay goblet, my standard glassware for these Belgian style ales. It pours a dark brown, no light getting through, light creamy head, not too big and not much lacing at all. Still a pretty solid look to it.

Smells of raisins, a little chocolate, alcohol presence on the nose for sure, some caramel too. Exceptionally inviting, kinda reminds me of a rich bread pudding.

The taste is more of the same, caramel is more present, the alcohol isn't hidden but I don't think that's really a bad thing. One of the best beers I've tried recently for sure.

A little light on the mouthfeel, drinkability would be higher except the alcohol is definitely noticeable.

I'm pretty sure I remember from high school French that 'Terrible' doesn't mean the same as it does in English. I hope not, this is one of the best beers I've tried in a while. Cheers!

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%

Large corked bottle.
Very dark brew with some rare amber highlights, and an ever lasting tan head, creamy that laces the top of the beer all the way down.
Aroma is yeasty like most Unibroues, but also spiced/peppery and malty/sugary.
Full and velvety on the palate, it is amazingly drinkable for such a powerful brew, malted and lightly sweet but well balanced by the warming alcohol and some bitterness.
Another impressive Unibroue work, and perhaps their best of the "regulars".

4.68/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle date: 12/11. This is the first time I have tasted this Unibroue beer. I am a big fan of their beers, but this one is the best yet.

In a tulip, the beer poured a 3 finger head, which resolved itself after a few minutes. The color is a beautiful opaque chocolate.

All tasting elements of this beer are more fully appreciated with warming. The initial pour was about 47° F(8.3°C) but the true complexity of this beer shines at 5°F+ warmer.

The mouth feel is tantalizing- carbonated, and tingling on the back of the tongue.

With warming: the aroma is enmeshed with cloves, figs, cinnamon, and a hint of licorice.
Taste: fruit, figs, cloves meld together into a rapturous finish.

This is one of the most complex Belgian style beers I have tasted. The 12/11 brew date enhances the complexity.

A slow, contemplative sipper.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a deep black with slightly lighter shades of brown around the edges. Not the darkest beer in the world, but in the neighborhood, particularly for a Belgian. The head is a thin finger thick with little retention and no immediate lacing. The tiny bubbles eventually give way to a thin ring.

Decent complexity in the nose. Caramels malts strike first, followed by a lingering alcohol and finally dark, very ripe fruits. Swirling the snifter brings the head back to life and awakens some spices. Also displays some thin lacing for the first time

I don't know how you'd improve the taste. Taste mimics the nose but the alcohol is more prominent. At 10.5% it's very strong and while the flavor is clearly evident, it's not like you're drinking straight whiskey. Toffee makes an appearance as well as the dark fruits. It's wine-like with a fruity hop flavor.

It's a sharp ale, not a dull lager. You can feel everything. Sweetness from the fruits, heat from the alcohol, the sting of carbonation. Everything is turned up to 10 on this beer, but it never crosses the line. Full bodied, but with a crispness.

One of the best beers I've had and it rivals anything from Belgium. Overall it's just an amazing beer. Has strong, aggressive smells and flavors and it all hits hard. But it never goes overboard. Something I could easily drink every night.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer is a real treat every chance I get to taste it. I've had it several times now but still never a whole bottle to myself. Still I decided to review it because it always leaves an impression on me.

Appearance: Served a dark burgundy - black with hints of plumb purple color.

Smell: Dark fruits and port with lots of sweetness in the nose.

Taste: Red wine like a Cabernet and Port with loads of spices and fruits, plumb on the top. More sugar sweetness and caramel. Plenty of toastyness. There are also hints of woodiness and fusel alcohol coming through to warm the belly. A nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Solid mouthfeel, creamy and spicy.

Drinkability: This is a perfect nightcap beer. Certainly a sipping beer but boy is it nice!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

[2004 Edition]

Pours a very, very dark color for a Belgian style, a dark purplish color that reveals some ruby light when held up to a bright light. Almost looks like a stout save for the way the head forms; Fizzy, soda-pop bubbles rise up to a finger, then quickly diminish to a tiny tan ring that leaves no lacing. Very proper for the style.

A tiny bit of smoke highlights the tart, sour fruitiness of the nose. It's definitely a fruity, strong dark Belgian, reminding me of some of Unibroue's own other creations. Delicate aromas of alcohol hide in the background.

Taste - wow, like a dark red wine, quite complex and very fruity. There's a small amount of maple syrup flavor and some distinct spiciness on top of those rounded fruit tastes, with a smooth but distinctly coppery alcoholic bite and subsequent warming on the back of the tongue.

Fizzes up like it should in the mouth - I like how these beers yield almost no head or visible carbonated activity but burst forth plenty of fizzing bubbles on the tongue when drinking. This has a pretty light body, with lots of alcohol warming, and a very very crisp finish.

Quite a delicious sipping brew, by far my favorite that I've tried from Unibroue. A world class brew by anyone's standards, and one that likely benefitted from a year of aging.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours black with modest lacing and slight lacing.

Aroma is very vinous, dark fruit. Dry and woody, along with prominent yeasty spices.

Taste is initially brandylike with alcohol soaked dark fruit - plums, dates and cherries. Malty, bready, and candy sweet. Yeasty funk with coriander and pepper leading the way. Then the profile starts to turn dry with definite woody tannins along with powdered cocoa. However, the sweetness returns in the finish, along with the big boozy aspect.

Mouthfeel is thick and smooth. Definite alcohol presence.

A big, boozy, tasty treat. Rich, complex and interesting with sweet sugar, massive boozy dark fruit and chocolate competing with the generous bitter woody tannins that you would expect from a good red wine. Alcohol presence throughout does add a certain heat.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Purchased in Delaware at Krestons Liquor Mart.

Consumed from a 750ml bottle in a chalice. 2004 Vintage.

Outstanding colour with tan head. Low lacing.

Aroma include blueberry, raisin, prune, cherries.

Flavor follows suit, with large amount of malty flavour. Hints of Blueberry and Coffee. Finishes clean.

To date this is one of my favorite beers since I have started my cellar collection. My girlfriend agrees.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

A dark and opaque purple-brown that imitates blackness. A foamy chocolate head rises quickly, and decends nearly as fast, only to hold the sides of the glass.
Blackberry and plums are the nose's signatures. But there also resides ample yeasty spice, manifested in dough and pepper.
Begins with a seeping caramel sweetness. Roasty hues lurk briefly underneath, but vanish as the fruitiness enters. Blueberries draped in a cinnamon glaze. Concord grape and plums on top of chewy and lightly crusted bread. Vinous but light. Akin to the dilute remainder of a Korbel on the rocks. Yeast pour gives this more body, more head, more dark breads (think rye), and more white pepper. Vanilla beans are suggested, but barely. There's a strange but alluring Dr. Pepper sweetness lurking here. Bitterness is next to nil, but this is palate-cleansing and far from oversweet. Ends with a continuation of cinnamon atop a light plum pudding backing. Did I mention "bready"? This review could go on and on...I'm gonna stop here and simply enjoy what's left.

Starts a bit sparce in the mouth- perhaps overcarbonated off the bat- but it settles to one of the most comfortable mouth's full of 10.5% liquid imaginable. Almost full after the yeast addition. Yet soft and supple all the while. Drink it in sips or gulps. Pick your poison. And enjoy your destruction.

I'd been anticipating this beer for a while. I was a bit sketchy about it right away. Now that the bottle's empty, I can assure you that I'll be stocking up. For lack of a a better term, I'll quote a good buddy of mine: "FUCKING RIGHTEOUS!!" (and btw: He was only allowed a small sample)

A wonderfully unique, typically remarkable Unibroue offering.
And amongst their finest to date.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

La Terrible... that name sure sounds ominous... and demanding of respect. And after experiencing this one, I do... I do. This bottle is from March 17th, 2011, by the way.

Poured into a snifter at cellar temperature, this "dark ale on lees" appears dark as hell with a dense, two-finger beige head that dissipates quickly. It's like, as dark a brown as something can be without being black.

Maybe it's just because I'm weird, but I swear, the first aroma that hits me when I put my nose up to this is SOURDOUGH! Like when I make a batch of sourdough pancakes and put my nose up to the bowl in the morning after it's been rising overnight... it smells like THAT. And I looove that unique, yeasty sourdough smell, hehe. Of course, there are also other great smells here that are more typical of a Belgian strong dark ale. The seductive dark fruit scents of raisins, figs, and prunes cannot be ignored, and there's even a subtle hint of milk chocolate.

It kind of tastes like really awesome, booze-soaked dark fruit cake. There's might be a little alcohol heat, but at 10.5%... who cares. Also, there are such interesting, pleasurable things going on in the taste, that I really don't have time for noticing alcohol (which could lead to trouble, I know, hahaha). The dark fruits and the subtle chocolate are in the taste, but there is also this red grape kind of taste that makes me think of red wine. It's tart, and quite sweet, but not cloying at all whatsoever.

This one has spritzy carbonation as befits a Belgian ale. Makes it feel deceptively drinkable and dainty. I caution you: don't fall for this "innocent" act.

My taste buds have been mesmerized. This ale is just so complex, and so... delightful. La Terrible... to call itself that I think this beer is just being "modeste."

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip 18/7/11

A hazy dark brown with reddish brown highlights when held to the sun, big three finger light tan head falls fairly fast leaving only a few random patches of lace, my second pour however had great retention and left loads of lace all unorganized but there was even a few chunks hanging off the side. I'm thinking the first pour cleaned my dirty glass because the head stuck around and too the side of the glass the second time around

S very mellow spicy yeast with a little apple cinnamon pie with some candied cherry, raisin and faint booze

T what I smell but with some faint root-beer/cola, slightly herbal and a little dark fruit but I can't distinguish which one, a little brown sugar and yet again the booze is well concealed, I taste some booze but it just blends in to the background. If 4.75 was an option I'd use it here but... its closer to perfect then 4.5 so here it is a "5" for taste

M lighter then one would expect but just enough carbonation to liven things up, the aftertaste is faint and mellow but it goes forever

O not sure how I enjoyed such a big beer on the hottest day I'll probably see in Calgary this year (31C/50%humidity) I know, I know, but here its hot as funk and big BSDA's should never slam back this fast regardless of the season

Not the first time I've had this beer but I was too loaded to take notes last time. I had an 8 and 7 year old bottle last year (or was it 7 and 6?, 02 and 03 it think) and I remember one of the beer geeks there with a greater knowledge then me saying this ones barley drinkable fresh... I disagree

I can recall begging Sleeman reps for a long time with no success to let me sell this bad boy and was told I could keep dreaming. To say I was pissed off buying this at a "competitor" here in Calgary is an understatement. I'm concerned that Sleeman doesn't want the business of one of their best customers in the province. I'm very worried for the Albertan consumers of Unibroue at this rate. I struggle remembering Don Du Dieu and at this rate all their beautiful beers will be a distant memory and I want to barf as a result, not booze induced vomit, just disgusted with the situation kinda spew

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Grimbergen goblet and split with Seanniek91.

A - Dark and slightly translucent. Some faint lacing. Very nice, but nothing out of the ordinary.

S - Sweet and fruity, berries, raisins, a bit spicy

T - raisins, currants, a bit spicy, a faint booziness. Very surprised how sweet this one is, but very nice. Not too sweet and the spices aren't overdone. The 10.5% does not come through much at all.

M - Very light bodied. The sweetness lingers, but much lighter than I expected.

O - Not what I expected, but very nice. I've loved everything I've had from Unibroue and this is no exception. Another great beer for a fantastic price from Unibroue.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

Review #100
750mL bottle poured into a tulip glass. Best by 2/26/2012.

(A)- Pours basically pitch black with a 4+ finger effervescent, yet billowy light brown head with superb retention. Some decent lacing in patches.

(S)- Dark berry fruits with a yeasty and biscuit/baked bread aroma. Light lemon & clay on the finish that is separate from the darker fruits up front.

(T)- Great dark fruits up front, but disappears to give way to a silky yeast and biscuits dimension that turns it head to a lemon curd-type thing going on. On the finish, there are light and delicate roasted nuances combined with more biscuit influences.

(M)- Plenty of carbonation that dances on the tongue, but does not overshadow the rest of the beer. Lightly sweet and delicate fruits that come in layers; not all at once. A nice multiple dimension beer with a cool roasted & bread finish amidst all the layered fruits.

(D)- One of my favorite Belgian Strong Darks out there. Great complexity and balance amidst delicate and layered components. You still taste it minutes after each sip. The 10.5% abv is integrated very well; until you feel it at the end! The whole 750mL will be enjoyed slowly to savor each sip.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Unique dark grey-ish-brown color. Murky, and nearly opaque except around the edges of the glass. Hearty-looking.

S: A subdued smell, but an appropriate introduction to the flavors of the beer. Very deep, slightly sweet, slightly oaky.

T: The combination of the appearance and the smell is a decent indicator of taste, so there are no surprises. The taste is soft, smooth, and immersive . The blend of flavors is seamless, giving the sense of one cohesive identity. The subtle coppery undercurrent common in a lot of Belgian ales. In short: deep, nuanced, and most importantly delicious.

M: Thick and hearty, but not overly sticky or filling. Only a slight indication of the ABV.

O: A great beer, one I'll definitely be buying again. Impeccably balanced and a real pleasure.

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle split. Poured into a Duvel Tulip. Best by date of 11/11/2013. Woo.

A - Opaque black color with a good dense tan head. Almost no lacing; just teeny patches.

S - Awesome! Sweet malts with a strong yeasty character that imparts some clay aromas and banana esters. Oatmeal raisin cookie hints (and bread) paired mainly with dark fruits.

T - So complex. Sweet maltiness with a good yeasty level. Dark fruit flavors of raisins and prunes abound in this beer. The alcohol flavor hides well behind all the other complexities but warms the tummy! So good! Poured the sediment in towards the end and it got pretty spicy.

M - Smooth and creamy. Almost velvety. Flows across the palate very nicely. Apparent carbonation but it knows its place and stays out of the spotlight.

D - Deceptive color, awesome smell, fantastic flavors, incredibly drinkable!

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%

From an '04 750ml bottle ... cellared with love in my very own basement. Poures a solid, almost opaque reddish/black color. Deep ruby tones in the light, along with some massive yeast sediment. Head is light brown and does not retain long. Nose is of a very earthy, woodsy attitude. Stewed fruits - prunes, raisins, and dates. Very distinct port wine-like aroma as well. Palate is so very complex, echoing the nose. Prunes and raisins, along with aged oak. Hints of port wine, cherry, and sweet mollasses as well. There's a lot going on here ... a lot. Slightly biting and a decent carbonation level. Medium heavy mouthfeel. Very smooth, woody, and slightly sweet. Subtle, especially after about 2 3/4 years in the cellar at 55 degrees, yet very, very complex. Finishes incredibly smooth, mellow, earthy, and delicately sweet. An absolutely GREAT dark Belgian-style brew. One of the very best, I believe. Astonishing!

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%

Nose out of the bottle is pure port. Small, quickly diminishing head on the pour with an intense fizz. Nose in the glass still has the port scent but much more subdued with strong grapes. Taste is VERY grape still with that lingering port. Finish is dry with none of the grape flavours retained. Alcohol is only present in the after taste. Very smooth. Little of the typically yeasty flavour so present in most Unibroue offerings.

Overall: A great sipper and a fantastic beer to lure port and red wine drinkers over to the good side. Have used it to marinate a steak before along with olive oil and Montreal steak spice. Finished product was wonderful. Not the best offering from Unibroue however due to a lack of complexity. Grapes is all I truly get from this.

Note: A slightly aged version tried later was more red wine like. A bit better, so improved scores.

Second Note: The more I drink this, the more I love it. Improved scores again.

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured into my Fin du Monde tulip glass, it gives up a medium-sized, grayish-tan, dense, bubbly head. Lots of spotty, isolated spots. The beer is a dark, dark, reddish-brown. It's really almost closer to black. Garnet highlights against the light. Wow, that's a strong aroma: signature Unibroue spice, sweetish, yeasty, fruity. The strong, spicy, fruity nose is echoed in front. The middle shows a deep, toffee maltiness. It's thick, buttery, bready. It's all the food groups in one. Finish is dry, spicy, with a little corn bread and lots of alcohol heat. At temperature, it's just sublime.

This may be the perfect Unibroue.

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: This stuff is so black you'll be checking under your bed for monsters. It has a nice velvety head, about 3 fingers that take a long time to dissipate. A very attractive pour.

S: I was immediately hit with a very boozy smell, I thought more similar to a wine, but with subdued yeast and malty notes.

T: like everyone else, dried dark fruits, and nice rich malt taste that disappeared as quickly as it appeared, leaving a pleasant and mild alcohol tingle.

M: I was expecting something different, maybe even a little astringent . Not the case. It was very thin on the tongue, but not on taste.

O: This is a very complex, yet drinkable dark ale. It's probably one of the best beers I've had in my short-lived association with craft beers, though I'm feeling really flushed right now.

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%

I have become addicted to these Unibroue beers. Ever since I tried one I haven been on a quest to get them all. Too bad about the price tag, but you pay for really good beer

Appearance - Mahogany, a deep hue of a reddish dark brown that blocks all behind it. Somehow, its still an ale, but the darkest I have ever seen.

Smell - The spices they add to it almost reminds me of a mead, but with mild hops, maybe some fruit like cherry. A great smell but I wish it just could have been a little more umph in it.

Taste - Oh man. A mellow dark with many hints of different spices, so many that it is too complex but simple at the same time. A perfect taste that sticks around with you.

Mouthfeel - A decent amount of carbonation keeps you tasting the beer several minutes after you drink it. Great stuff

Overall - Give this beer a shot. It may not be the absolute best of Unibroue but I still haven't tried them all yet!

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Wow. This is anything but terrible.

This brew is as black as black can be, thus promting the age-old question "How much blacker could it get?" To which Nigel Tufnel responds; "None. None more black."

It pours thick and syropy with a lovely tan head and smells of very very dark fruits. It's got what can only be described as "The Unibroue" smell, of course, but much darker than usual.

As for the taste: Caramel, prunes, anise. Delicious.

I've tried many fine Unibroue products and they haven't let me down yet. But I think I've found a new favourite.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml Bottle
Cage/Corked
Best Before: 09/15/2018
Reviewed: 3 May 15

Poured into a Westy Chalice a dark brown color, very nice carbonation, very nice one-finger creamy little tan head, some very nice small islands, and some nice sticky lacing. The nose is malty, slight yeast, figs, raisins, plums aplenty. The taste is malty, some very nice yeast notes, lots of dark fruit. Medium body, ABV hidden very well. Overall a very tasty brew. It's been awhile since I've last had one. Highly recommended!

750ml Bottle
Cage/Corked
2004 Vintage
Best Before: 08/08/2007
Reviewed: 26 Jan 09

Poured into a Westy Chalice a dark brown color, nice carbonation, fizzy little tan head, not much sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is malty, slight yeast, figs, raisins, plums. The taste is malty, some yeast notes, lots of dark fruit. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is a very tasty brew, been sitting on it for over three years.

Pours a dark brown in color, nice carbonation, not much of a head though. Lacing is not bad. Scents of malts, sweet caramel. Very nice taste, alcohol was hidden, but not like other's I've had. Medium in body, very nice after taste. Very drinkable, but at 10.5 watch out, I drank a 750ml by myself and I got a good buzz.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Brooown. Deep color. Reddish highlights. Tulip glass captures an uber-thick grayish-tan head.

Gorgeous nose -- dry alcohol, sawdust, plum skin, and peppery spice. Red wine flavored pop rocks. Subtle. Character. Coherent like a sober speech writer. Esters, belgian candy sugar, and grandma's spice rack (coriander? cinnamon?) blend seemlessly. Finishes with an impossibly spicy, fruity depth -- yet dry. Say what?

Zero bitterness until this warms up and sits -- a lot. Loses some body and some dimension but retains its status as a great beer. Alcohol obviously becomes more dominate in the flavor profile. But all things considered, this is drinkable to the highest degree. You simply do not get any grating presence from the alcohol until late, late, late into the drink. And frankly, if you waited as long as I did to finish it, you deserve anything you get.

Just awesome.

Fuck Miller. *This* is the high life.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2003 Vintage
The beer poured into the chalice translucent blackish brown with an off-white head that rose slightly and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was filled dark fruits with raisins, plums and prunes most prominent. Some higher alcohol phenolic spiciness was present. Dark caramel and toffee notes also filled out the aroma. A slight waft of diacetyl was also present.

The flavor was fruity with dark fruits, raisins and prunes again, but a light citrusy flavor followed. The spiciness was present but not borne of alcohol, but out of yeast character. The flavors were melded and muted and well blended but contained a dark caramel and deep maltiness. As the beer warmed the fruity flavors evolved to include a subtle cherry flavor.

The finish was just dry with lasting caramel impression and fruity impression. The body was medium full and well done. The alcohol exhibited slightly in the aroma spiciness but was nowhere to be found in the flavor and only let it's presence truly be known in the warming that occurred after consumption.

750 ml corked and bailed bottle. Sept 9 2003 on bottle. 03-2 on cork. At $7.69 a bottle this beer was a bargain.

4.6/5  rDev +10.6%

As with other Unibroue offerings, "La Terrible" stands out on the shelf with it's simple yet eye-catching label design. But the true draw is the excellent dark ale waiting to be uncorked.

Appearance: dark brown with mahogany tones. Rich and very inviting.

Aroma: full, pleasant nose with fruit, malts and toffee dominating.

Taste: suprisingly smooth but complex with a sweetness tempered by the firm alcohol content.

Mouthfeel: creamy as expected with a chocolate aftertaste.

Drikability: very enjoyable. The ABV may seem ominious at first but the alcohol does not overwhelm the palate.

Overall: there is little doubt I will uncork a bottle or two of "La Terrible" at the next gathering I attend. The taste and quality are superb. I highest endorsement though is that my fiance, who is not a beer fan, tried this one and really enjoyed it. Kudos to Unibroue for another fine offering.

La Terrible from Unibroue