2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Terrible - Unibroue

La TerribleLa Terrible

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-15-2002)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,697 | Reviews: 890 | Show All Ratings:
OlRasputin989

Arkansas

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

A: tan, bubbly head atop a pitch black brew that doesn't allow hardly any light through.

S: Dark cocoa, dark fruits and berries, touch of coffee, also an earthy smell with just a note of the alcohol. Velvety and luscious

T: Sweet and woody, with an alcohol accent. more dark fruits. aftertaste of wood and plums

M: just lightly carbonated and thin. Leaves mouth feeling oily

Overall, very well balanced. It wasn't too sweet or too chocolatey. Instead of concentrating on one flavor, this beer is a medley of deliciousness. The alcohol has been tamed and put to good use as it plays in with the overall character of this beer. Unibroue KICKS ASS at making awesome beer.

02-22-2009 03:48:12 | More by OlRasputin989
theboozecruise

Louisiana

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Chimay goblet, my standard glassware for these Belgian style ales. It pours a dark brown, no light getting through, light creamy head, not too big and not much lacing at all. Still a pretty solid look to it.

Smells of raisins, a little chocolate, alcohol presence on the nose for sure, some caramel too. Exceptionally inviting, kinda reminds me of a rich bread pudding.

The taste is more of the same, caramel is more present, the alcohol isn't hidden but I don't think that's really a bad thing. One of the best beers I've tried recently for sure.

A little light on the mouthfeel, drinkability would be higher except the alcohol is definitely noticeable.

I'm pretty sure I remember from high school French that 'Terrible' doesn't mean the same as it does in English. I hope not, this is one of the best beers I've tried in a while. Cheers!

01-02-2010 03:04:34 | More by theboozecruise
RickS95

Indiana

4.7/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours a deep black with slightly lighter shades of brown around the edges. Not the darkest beer in the world, but in the neighborhood, particularly for a Belgian. The head is a thin finger thick with little retention and no immediate lacing. The tiny bubbles eventually give way to a thin ring.

Decent complexity in the nose. Caramels malts strike first, followed by a lingering alcohol and finally dark, very ripe fruits. Swirling the snifter brings the head back to life and awakens some spices. Also displays some thin lacing for the first time

I don't know how you'd improve the taste. Taste mimics the nose but the alcohol is more prominent. At 10.5% it's very strong and while the flavor is clearly evident, it's not like you're drinking straight whiskey. Toffee makes an appearance as well as the dark fruits. It's wine-like with a fruity hop flavor.

It's a sharp ale, not a dull lager. You can feel everything. Sweetness from the fruits, heat from the alcohol, the sting of carbonation. Everything is turned up to 10 on this beer, but it never crosses the line. Full bodied, but with a crispness.

One of the best beers I've had and it rivals anything from Belgium. Overall it's just an amazing beer. Has strong, aggressive smells and flavors and it all hits hard. But it never goes overboard. Something I could easily drink every night.

10-28-2012 04:18:15 | More by RickS95
ColForbin

New Hampshire

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

This beer comes in a corked 750ml bottle with a silver painted label. On opening, I lost my grip on the cork and it hit the ceiling, but there was no carbonation overflow. The beer pours dark as night with a massive head, filling up half of my Rapscallion (RIP) snifter. Holding the beer up to the light to try to determine the color I see almost no light leaking through - it is at least as dark as most stouts. The nose has notes of corriander and clove. Taste is complex - corriander, a little smoke, some hop bitterness, a slight sourness - not very sweet at all. Mouthfeel is quite light for a beer this strong - the lack of sweetness gives a surprising drinkability. Give this beer some cellar time for the corriander flavor (if indeed it was added) to tone down slightly and this beer could get all fives. I know that I'll definitely be buying another bottle for that purpose.

10-19-2003 01:36:36 | More by ColForbin
Matteox3

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Purchased in Delaware at Krestons Liquor Mart.

Consumed from a 750ml bottle in a chalice. 2004 Vintage.

Outstanding colour with tan head. Low lacing.

Aroma include blueberry, raisin, prune, cherries.

Flavor follows suit, with large amount of malty flavour. Hints of Blueberry and Coffee. Finishes clean.

To date this is one of my favorite beers since I have started my cellar collection. My girlfriend agrees.

04-25-2007 00:13:06 | More by Matteox3
brdc

Wisconsin

Large corked bottle.
Very dark brew with some rare amber highlights, and an ever lasting tan head, creamy that laces the top of the beer all the way down.
Aroma is yeasty like most Unibroues, but also spiced/peppery and malty/sugary.
Full and velvety on the palate, it is amazingly drinkable for such a powerful brew, malted and lightly sweet but well balanced by the warming alcohol and some bitterness.
Another impressive Unibroue work, and perhaps their best of the "regulars".

09-22-2007 00:25:28 | More by brdc
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip 18/7/11

A hazy dark brown with reddish brown highlights when held to the sun, big three finger light tan head falls fairly fast leaving only a few random patches of lace, my second pour however had great retention and left loads of lace all unorganized but there was even a few chunks hanging off the side. I'm thinking the first pour cleaned my dirty glass because the head stuck around and too the side of the glass the second time around

S very mellow spicy yeast with a little apple cinnamon pie with some candied cherry, raisin and faint booze

T what I smell but with some faint root-beer/cola, slightly herbal and a little dark fruit but I can't distinguish which one, a little brown sugar and yet again the booze is well concealed, I taste some booze but it just blends in to the background. If 4.75 was an option I'd use it here but... its closer to perfect then 4.5 so here it is a "5" for taste

M lighter then one would expect but just enough carbonation to liven things up, the aftertaste is faint and mellow but it goes forever

O not sure how I enjoyed such a big beer on the hottest day I'll probably see in Calgary this year (31C/50%humidity) I know, I know, but here its hot as funk and big BSDA's should never slam back this fast regardless of the season

Not the first time I've had this beer but I was too loaded to take notes last time. I had an 8 and 7 year old bottle last year (or was it 7 and 6?, 02 and 03 it think) and I remember one of the beer geeks there with a greater knowledge then me saying this ones barley drinkable fresh... I disagree

I can recall begging Sleeman reps for a long time with no success to let me sell this bad boy and was told I could keep dreaming. To say I was pissed off buying this at a "competitor" here in Calgary is an understatement. I'm concerned that Sleeman doesn't want the business of one of their best customers in the province. I'm very worried for the Albertan consumers of Unibroue at this rate. I struggle remembering Don Du Dieu and at this rate all their beautiful beers will be a distant memory and I want to barf as a result, not booze induced vomit, just disgusted with the situation kinda spew

07-19-2011 04:01:31 | More by wordemupg
brureview

4.68/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle date: 12/11. This is the first time I have tasted this Unibroue beer. I am a big fan of their beers, but this one is the best yet.

In a tulip, the beer poured a 3 finger head, which resolved itself after a few minutes. The color is a beautiful opaque chocolate.

All tasting elements of this beer are more fully appreciated with warming. The initial pour was about 47° F(8.3°C) but the true complexity of this beer shines at 5°F+ warmer.

The mouth feel is tantalizing- carbonated, and tingling on the back of the tongue.

With warming: the aroma is enmeshed with cloves, figs, cinnamon, and a hint of licorice.
Taste: fruit, figs, cloves meld together into a rapturous finish.

This is one of the most complex Belgian style beers I have tasted. The 12/11 brew date enhances the complexity.

A slow, contemplative sipper.

04-02-2013 01:02:11 | More by brureview
Ardon

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Nose out of the bottle is pure port. Small, quickly diminishing head on the pour with an intense fizz. Nose in the glass still has the port scent but much more subdued with strong grapes. Taste is VERY grape still with that lingering port. Finish is dry with none of the grape flavours retained. Alcohol is only present in the after taste. Very smooth. Little of the typically yeasty flavour so present in most Unibroue offerings.

Overall: A great sipper and a fantastic beer to lure port and red wine drinkers over to the good side. Have used it to marinate a steak before along with olive oil and Montreal steak spice. Finished product was wonderful. Not the best offering from Unibroue however due to a lack of complexity. Grapes is all I truly get from this.

Note: A slightly aged version tried later was more red wine like. A bit better, so improved scores.

Second Note: The more I drink this, the more I love it. Improved scores again.

12-12-2003 06:47:46 | More by Ardon
kbub6f

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured into my Fin du Monde tulip glass, it gives up a medium-sized, grayish-tan, dense, bubbly head. Lots of spotty, isolated spots. The beer is a dark, dark, reddish-brown. It's really almost closer to black. Garnet highlights against the light. Wow, that's a strong aroma: signature Unibroue spice, sweetish, yeasty, fruity. The strong, spicy, fruity nose is echoed in front. The middle shows a deep, toffee maltiness. It's thick, buttery, bready. It's all the food groups in one. Finish is dry, spicy, with a little corn bread and lots of alcohol heat. At temperature, it's just sublime.

This may be the perfect Unibroue.

03-14-2004 19:23:49 | More by kbub6f
beerphilosopher

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

From an '04 750ml bottle ... cellared with love in my very own basement. Poures a solid, almost opaque reddish/black color. Deep ruby tones in the light, along with some massive yeast sediment. Head is light brown and does not retain long. Nose is of a very earthy, woodsy attitude. Stewed fruits - prunes, raisins, and dates. Very distinct port wine-like aroma as well. Palate is so very complex, echoing the nose. Prunes and raisins, along with aged oak. Hints of port wine, cherry, and sweet mollasses as well. There's a lot going on here ... a lot. Slightly biting and a decent carbonation level. Medium heavy mouthfeel. Very smooth, woody, and slightly sweet. Subtle, especially after about 2 3/4 years in the cellar at 55 degrees, yet very, very complex. Finishes incredibly smooth, mellow, earthy, and delicately sweet. An absolutely GREAT dark Belgian-style brew. One of the very best, I believe. Astonishing!

05-08-2006 17:51:07 | More by beerphilosopher
ChicagoLaw21

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

As with other Unibroue offerings, "La Terrible" stands out on the shelf with it's simple yet eye-catching label design. But the true draw is the excellent dark ale waiting to be uncorked.

Appearance: dark brown with mahogany tones. Rich and very inviting.

Aroma: full, pleasant nose with fruit, malts and toffee dominating.

Taste: suprisingly smooth but complex with a sweetness tempered by the firm alcohol content.

Mouthfeel: creamy as expected with a chocolate aftertaste.

Drikability: very enjoyable. The ABV may seem ominious at first but the alcohol does not overwhelm the palate.

Overall: there is little doubt I will uncork a bottle or two of "La Terrible" at the next gathering I attend. The taste and quality are superb. I highest endorsement though is that my fiance, who is not a beer fan, tried this one and really enjoyed it. Kudos to Unibroue for another fine offering.

06-30-2006 16:07:14 | More by ChicagoLaw21
sweemzander

Review #100
750mL bottle poured into a tulip glass. Best by 2/26/2012.

(A)- Pours basically pitch black with a 4+ finger effervescent, yet billowy light brown head with superb retention. Some decent lacing in patches.

(S)- Dark berry fruits with a yeasty and biscuit/baked bread aroma. Light lemon & clay on the finish that is separate from the darker fruits up front.

(T)- Great dark fruits up front, but disappears to give way to a silky yeast and biscuits dimension that turns it head to a lemon curd-type thing going on. On the finish, there are light and delicate roasted nuances combined with more biscuit influences.

(M)- Plenty of carbonation that dances on the tongue, but does not overshadow the rest of the beer. Lightly sweet and delicate fruits that come in layers; not all at once. A nice multiple dimension beer with a cool roasted & bread finish amidst all the layered fruits.

(D)- One of my favorite Belgian Strong Darks out there. Great complexity and balance amidst delicate and layered components. You still taste it minutes after each sip. The 10.5% abv is integrated very well; until you feel it at the end! The whole 750mL will be enjoyed slowly to savor each sip.

08-21-2009 20:16:53 | More by sweemzander
TownDunkel

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%

I have become addicted to these Unibroue beers. Ever since I tried one I haven been on a quest to get them all. Too bad about the price tag, but you pay for really good beer

Appearance - Mahogany, a deep hue of a reddish dark brown that blocks all behind it. Somehow, its still an ale, but the darkest I have ever seen.

Smell - The spices they add to it almost reminds me of a mead, but with mild hops, maybe some fruit like cherry. A great smell but I wish it just could have been a little more umph in it.

Taste - Oh man. A mellow dark with many hints of different spices, so many that it is too complex but simple at the same time. A perfect taste that sticks around with you.

Mouthfeel - A decent amount of carbonation keeps you tasting the beer several minutes after you drink it. Great stuff

Overall - Give this beer a shot. It may not be the absolute best of Unibroue but I still haven't tried them all yet!

03-15-2012 18:13:23 | More by TownDunkel
Kuaff

Alaska

4.65/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

La Terrible... that name sure sounds ominous... and demanding of respect. And after experiencing this one, I do... I do. This bottle is from March 17th, 2011, by the way.

Poured into a snifter at cellar temperature, this "dark ale on lees" appears dark as hell with a dense, two-finger beige head that dissipates quickly. It's like, as dark a brown as something can be without being black.

Maybe it's just because I'm weird, but I swear, the first aroma that hits me when I put my nose up to this is SOURDOUGH! Like when I make a batch of sourdough pancakes and put my nose up to the bowl in the morning after it's been rising overnight... it smells like THAT. And I looove that unique, yeasty sourdough smell, hehe. Of course, there are also other great smells here that are more typical of a Belgian strong dark ale. The seductive dark fruit scents of raisins, figs, and prunes cannot be ignored, and there's even a subtle hint of milk chocolate.

It kind of tastes like really awesome, booze-soaked dark fruit cake. There's might be a little alcohol heat, but at 10.5%... who cares. Also, there are such interesting, pleasurable things going on in the taste, that I really don't have time for noticing alcohol (which could lead to trouble, I know, hahaha). The dark fruits and the subtle chocolate are in the taste, but there is also this red grape kind of taste that makes me think of red wine. It's tart, and quite sweet, but not cloying at all whatsoever.

This one has spritzy carbonation as befits a Belgian ale. Makes it feel deceptively drinkable and dainty. I caution you: don't fall for this "innocent" act.

My taste buds have been mesmerized. This ale is just so complex, and so... delightful. La Terrible... to call itself that I think this beer is just being "modeste."

07-06-2013 16:44:50 | More by Kuaff
AlpacaAlpaca

4.64/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Unique dark grey-ish-brown color. Murky, and nearly opaque except around the edges of the glass. Hearty-looking.

S: A subdued smell, but an appropriate introduction to the flavors of the beer. Very deep, slightly sweet, slightly oaky.

T: The combination of the appearance and the smell is a decent indicator of taste, so there are no surprises. The taste is soft, smooth, and immersive . The blend of flavors is seamless, giving the sense of one cohesive identity. The subtle coppery undercurrent common in a lot of Belgian ales. In short: deep, nuanced, and most importantly delicious.

M: Thick and hearty, but not overly sticky or filling. Only a slight indication of the ABV.

O: A great beer, one I'll definitely be buying again. Impeccably balanced and a real pleasure.

04-03-2014 15:38:34 | More by AlpacaAlpaca
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

4.63/5  rDev +11%

This baby came locked and loaded! I have never been disappointed with anything from Unibroue, so I am anxious to see how this one is.
I came out looking more like a Coke than anything. It was very dark and the aroma of raisins and hops came pouring out. The taste is loaded with dark fruits and sweet yeast! Carbonation adds a nice sharpness to the mouthfeel. Dark sugars round out this sweet brew that is accented with a nice bitter finish. Just by looking at it, I am beginning to drool. The high alcohol is hidden well, but makes it have a nice little sweet taste. This beer reminds me a lot of Gulden Drake (which happens to be one of my all-time favorite). I personally think this beer is fantastic for anyone who like strong, dark ale! I bought two 750ml bottles for $7.50 each and plan to save one for later. Congrats to anyone who has the pleasure to enjoy one of these.

12-24-2003 00:44:45 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
chunkylover53

4.63/5  rDev +11%

Wow. This is anything but terrible.

This brew is as black as black can be, thus promting the age-old question "How much blacker could it get?" To which Nigel Tufnel responds; "None. None more black."

It pours thick and syropy with a lovely tan head and smells of very very dark fruits. It's got what can only be described as "The Unibroue" smell, of course, but much darker than usual.

As for the taste: Caramel, prunes, anise. Delicious.

I've tried many fine Unibroue products and they haven't let me down yet. But I think I've found a new favourite.

01-30-2005 16:02:19 | More by chunkylover53
mnj21655

Poured from a 750mL bottle with 2004 on the cork

Pours a very deep brown, almost black in color with hints of red. Had a huge tan head that settled to maybe an 1/8". Smells predominantly of fruits, cherries, raisins, and licorice but I can also detect some hints of vanilla. As for the taste it is very much like the smell; more licorice, dark fruits, and some yeast. Finishes slightly tart. I was surprised that I could neither smell nor taste any alcohol. Has a nice mouthfeel, not too thick or too thin and has a good amount amount of carbonation but not too much. In terms of drinkability this is great. I simply can't hold the high ABV against this brew, there are so many redeming qualities in this beer that it deserves a high score here.

Overall this is excellent. This may not be quite what its Belgian counterparts are but its damn good. I'm immensely pleased that I picked up a bottle of this brew. I didn't pour this when it was terribly cold but the flavors really came alive as it warmed. I enjoyed this beer tremendously the warmer it got.

10-01-2006 01:52:08 | More by mnj21655
acrawf6

Louisiana

4.63/5  rDev +11%

Pours out a dark and deep reddish brown amber, no light coming through the center of the glass. Head is a nice and fluffy tan head.

Smell. Sweet with yeasty aromas and fruits- mostly prunes and alcohol drenched plums. Under that is some spiciness.

Taste. Pretty sweet, fruit flavors taste a bit fresher than i thought they would. There is also a roasted maltiness to it that i find quite interesting and good. A small tartness comes out, but settles out. Aftertaste has the warming sensation from the alcohol, but also has a creaminess to it. Then it becomes quite sweet. I think this flavor is very nice and balanced, and still quite mild.

Mouthfeel. Body is a medium level with lively carbonation. But there is also a creaminess that fills my mouth quite nicely.

Overall, an excellent beer. I dont know what more to say about it. Just a great beer.

05-21-2007 05:18:01 | More by acrawf6
BBP

4.63/5  rDev +11%

A- Pours chestnut with a decent amount of carbonation, average head for the style, and slight lacing. I had to upgrade it's appearance after the head that looked like it would fade just stuck around, and then stuck around some more.

S- Prune and yeast. Assertive dark malt. A tad of booze. Has a stronger sugar smell to it than exists in the taste. Not disappointing though.

T- Dark fruit first and foremost. Plum, grape, and cherry led the way. It has a large amount of sweetness to it, but comes across in such a way that it's not overwhelming. It has more character to the sweetness, rather than just being sugary booze. It's more of a caramel, buttery, bready sweetness. There's even a bit of a bubblegum flavor to the sweetness. It has the character you'd expect in a classic BelgianSDA. The flavor holds through for a while. The finish lasts well, and is a bit spicy. This strikes me as the kind of beer that I could get to appreciate more and break down several drinks later, but sadly I only have this single bottle. I don't feel like I'm doing it justice in the description. It's complex and upfront with flavor, while being smooth and subtle. Probably my favorite Unibroue offering.

M- Nice full body. A bit too carbonated for my liking, but the body hid it pretty well. Moderately dry finish. Slightly sticky.

D- Very easy to drink for a BSDA. One of the easiest to drink I've had so far. Hid the booze quite well. Most of the time a 9% Unibroue 750 will do it for me, so this is a pretty formidable drink.

01-22-2011 00:15:58 | More by BBP
BlurryVisi0n

Poured unto a tulip.

Appearance: An incredibly dark brown but still semi transparent. Head comes off a light tan, roughly 1/2" off the body.

Smell: Cherry-ish, if you ask me it's smells little like a red cabernet wine.

Taste: Terribly great, alcohol is evident but not overwhelming. Complex taste of cherry, oaked malts.

Mouth: Medium to heavy carbonation, honestly it is close to perfect. Goes down on you better than your ex-g/f.

Overall: I have had many beers in this is in my top five of my life. Had it before will always have it again (as long as it's being produced). La Terrible has one description, f'n good....I hope you all have enjoyed this as equal if not better than my own enjoyment. Salud!

02-18-2012 07:00:11 | More by BlurryVisi0n
RoninTK3

New Hampshire

4.63/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Grimbergen goblet and split with Seanniek91.

A - Dark and slightly translucent. Some faint lacing. Very nice, but nothing out of the ordinary.

S - Sweet and fruity, berries, raisins, a bit spicy

T - raisins, currants, a bit spicy, a faint booziness. Very surprised how sweet this one is, but very nice. Not too sweet and the spices aren't overdone. The 10.5% does not come through much at all.

M - Very light bodied. The sweetness lingers, but much lighter than I expected.

O - Not what I expected, but very nice. I've loved everything I've had from Unibroue and this is no exception. Another great beer for a fantastic price from Unibroue.

01-01-2013 21:51:50 | More by RoninTK3
Converge

Alberta (Canada)

4.63/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750ml corked & caged bottle into a tulip.

A - Pours a dark brown but looks pretty much black in the glass. Frothy head of beige foam, that retains for a long time and leaves a sticky web of lacing.

S - Sweet dark fruits, mild spices, and distinct Unibroue house yeast. Medjool dates, figs, and golden raisins. Smells sweet, malty, and very Belgian. There's a slight earthy quality, but overall the nose is sweet with a touch of spice and lots of zesty yeast. There might even be a touch of vanilla, sort of reminiscent of Unibroue's 17 Grande Réserve.

T - Even better than the nose. A beautiful concoction of vanilla, dark fruits, and Unibroue yeast with a mild spice in the background. Very sweet upfront, with dates, figs, raisins, vanilla, cola syrup, and candi sugar. Some mild earthy and woody notes, and Belgian spices to balance the sweetness. Finishes with some slight earthy hops and a long lasting residual sweetness. Incredibly drinkable and balanced. I daresay this is even more tasty than Unibroue 17 Grande Réserve.

M - The mouthfeel is superb. Smooth, thick, creamy, with a fine carbonation that just floats along the palate. Not a touch of heat for a 10.50% ABV beer either. Slightly sticky, and the finish isn't too dry or too wet. Great feel.

D - An all around exceptional BSDA, and possibly one of Unibroue's best; this brewery really can do no wrong. This is probably even sweeter than the average BSDA, but at no point does it become at all cloying. Just an excellent beer in all respects, and one I'll be stocking up on the next time I see it.

01-20-2013 00:13:00 | More by Converge
Pinioned

Kentucky

4.63/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: This stuff is so black you'll be checking under your bed for monsters. It has a nice velvety head, about 3 fingers that take a long time to dissipate. A very attractive pour.

S: I was immediately hit with a very boozy smell, I thought more similar to a wine, but with subdued yeast and malty notes.

T: like everyone else, dried dark fruits, and nice rich malt taste that disappeared as quickly as it appeared, leaving a pleasant and mild alcohol tingle.

M: I was expecting something different, maybe even a little astringent . Not the case. It was very thin on the tongue, but not on taste.

O: This is a very complex, yet drinkable dark ale. It's probably one of the best beers I've had in my short-lived association with craft beers, though I'm feeling really flushed right now.

03-16-2013 03:17:07 | More by Pinioned