Unibroue 17 - Unibroue

Unibroue 17Unibroue 17

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: AlexF on 02-12-2008)
4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

From tasting notes Nov. 23, 2012

Unibroue 17th Anniversary (December 2010 bottling)

-original bottle with etched label (not fancy paper like the 2011 bottling)
-served @ 53f
-pours deep amber red with 2 fingers of foam
-slight lacing
-slightly wine-like aroma; a bit boozy and peppery on the nose
-foam tastes of spice and pepper; brew, too.
-medium mouthfeel
-slight dryness with nutmeg vanilla spice finish (but subtle, not overpowering)
-abv is well-hidden; if this were ice cold, I’d probably drink it too fast
-I wasn’t aiming for a holiday brew but this certainly qualifies given the flavor profile

See my related review of the 17th Anniversary Grande Reserve as I sampled that beer and this one on consecutive nights.

If I had to choose between the two, I would say this bottling (Dec. 2010) was better. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for more. The 17th Anniversary Grande Reserve 2011 bottling could probably benefit from additional aging; glad I bought a couple more for the cellar. Overall, both vintages are fantastic beers that I look forward to enjoying over the years.

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Unibroue 17 is a pleasant and high quality Belgian strong dark ale. Nice, but not especially interesting.

A: Cloudy dark brown colour and an excellent 1 cm head that lasts very well. 4.5

S: Belgian yeast, candi sugar and banana. Goood. 4.5

T: Malty with some sourness and a little bitterness. There is some mellow (saw)dust flavour in the finish. Pleasant and fresh, but not especially interesting. 4

M: Foamy. Well carbonated. 4

O: 4

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled in December 2010. Pours very hazy reddish brown color with a very nice 3 finger dense light khaki head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some very nice thick soapy lacing clings to the glass, with a good amount of carbonation streaming up. Aromas of big raisin, prune, grape, caramel, toffee, molasses, earth, tobacco, toast, and light herbal. Fantastic and highly complex aromas with great balance. Taste of big raisin, prune, apple, caramel, toffee, toast, molasses, earth, tobacco, herbal, light chocolate, and yeast spiciness. Lingering notes of dark fruit, caramel, molasses, toffee, toast, earth, light chocolate, and yeast spices on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic balance of flavors with huge complexity. Medium-high carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a nice creamy and fairly slick mouthfeel. Alcohol is extremely well hidden with pretty much zero warming present after the finish. Overall this is a fantastic Belgian strong dark ale! Huge complexity and great balance of flavors; and very smooth to sip on. Looking forward to trying the Grande Reserve.

1.75/5  rDev -58%

3.25/5  rDev -22.1%

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip 23/4/12
Original version thanks to unibroue4ever

A not a dead bottle as the cork nearly took my eye out as it popped out sideways. dark brown with some light cola highlight's when held to the light, looks quite dark until you hold it to some light, two finger off white head hangs on for a while and leaves a few patches of lace

S I didn't think this version was oak aged but I pick up on some woody notes for sure, cinnamon, all spice, and fruity rum cake also come out to play, smells great but not what I expected

T some raisins I didn't smell and some more Christmas cake, lots of wet wood and spice, reminds me of a winter warmer and I really don't know where the booze is hiding

M just a little foamy but just is the operative word, no heat and a spicy woody aftertaste lingers,

O lots of earthy wood surprises me, I was under the impression only the new re-released was oak aged, I'd be amazed if this one never saw wood, great beer but not the best I've had from Unibroue

I love the smell and taste of this one and that should say enough, I can't remember trying a fresh bottle to make the comparison but I'd drink now If I had more in my possession

3.88/5  rDev -7%

750ml Bottle - Thanks to Pushkinwow for sharing - this is the original version, not the re-released one.

Appearance - Hazy brown colour with an average size fizzy off white coloured head. There is a below average amount of carbonation and there is some fair lacing. The head was gone in a few minutes.

Smell - Malts, raisins/grapes, yeast, caramel, wood

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, grapes/raisins, and some yeast. It also has a bit of a woodiness mixed with some sweet sugary caramel. It ends with a sweet yet spicy aftertaste.

Overall - Along the lines of a Trois Pistoles with some more spice and character. Not one of my favourites by them but still very drinkable and well worth trying.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Grande Réserve 17

Unibroue Re-released another one. Hope it’s good.
Served in Taps Magazine glass.

A- Dark tobacco-brown. Very creamy looking light beige head. Looks great. Some speckled lacing.

S- Spicy. Something brett-like but I doubt there actually is any in here. Maybe some vanilla. You can definitely taste the oak aging but it’s very delicate. A very interesting smell.

T- Very good. Might be the belgian brown ale I’ve enjoyed the most yet. Some dark fruit obviously but also so much more than most beers in the style. Nice hoppy bitterness in the finish.

M- Very full. Carbonation seems perfect to me. The type of mouthfeel which massages your mouth.

O- Top notch beer. I’d certainly like to taste an aged one, hoping for even more complexity and flavors and a less ‘‘green’’ the hop taste would be nice too.

A-4.0