2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Don De Dieu - Unibroue

Don De DieuDon De Dieu

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-06-2000)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Don De Dieu Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,182 | Reviews: 1,202 | Show All Ratings:
John

Gratification in a bottle. Some of Unibroue's finest work.

09-27-2001 16:21:03 | More by John
jonworth

High, dense head that dissipates quickly leaving very minute traces of lacing. Opaque amber body, yet very little yeast residue despite being bottle conditioned. Citrus and floral on the nose, strong citrus punch on the tongue. ABV (9%) well-concealed in this one, very pleasant--easy to overdo! This is one of my favorites, a leader of the pack, which I cannot recommend highly enough.

02-18-2008 04:53:40 | More by jonworth
threeviews

Preface: Re-review from my initial back on 1-28-12

Poured from a 12oz screw top(!) bottle (Best Before date: 12-06-14) into a 14oz, Riedel tulip glass

A- Pours a hazy, orange/golden hue with a 2-3" head dissipating rather quickly. Active carbonation observed from the fluid on the sides of the glass.

S- Wow! tart fruits dominate: Granny Smith apples, pears, (green) grapes, honey (with maybe a hint of lemon zest) and some spicy esters all arouse the olfactory hues. The aroma lies right between a sparkling wine, crisp hard cider and a Belgian Tripel ale. The "breadiness" that many mention comes out as the brew warms and head subsides, but fleshy fruit and some spice dominate.

T- Everything in the aroma titivates the palate. Think of the best Belgian Tripel (or hard cider) you have ever tasted but without the dominant spice and banana esters from the yeast. Everything is brought to a closure with a bready and semi-tart finish. Those who are fans of La Fin Du Monde will recognize a similarity, but this is less intense . Like the nose, the "breadiness" is apparent once the brew has time to settle in the glass. Despite the 9.0% ABV, this is one smooth and refreshing brews as the booze is nowhere to be found in either the aroma or taste.

M- Lively carbonation only adds to enhance the crispness of flavors detected in the nose. The palate dances with the fruit essence and (what I perceive to be) hop bitterness.

O- How else do I describe this...simply outstanding. Although I think I prefer the crispness of Duvel over Don Dieu, this is certainly an exquisite representation of the style. Furthermore, I suggest sampling this brew as fresh as possible, as I don't think your review will be congruent with mine when tasting an aged bottle.

05-06-2012 21:28:59 | More by threeviews
GossageBrewery

Missouri

4.99/5  rDev +20.5%

Poured this Belgian Strong Pale Ale from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pored a hazy orange color, produced a average white head, nice retention and it left an average amount of lace on the glass. The aroma consisted of malted grain, toffee, pear juice and white pepper like spice. Medium in body, this ale had a pale malted base, fruity notes, apricot and pear come to mind, there are also subtle notes of white pepper, and grassy hops. Dry Finish, creamy smooth mouthfeel. One of the top Belgian style beers I have sampled- This brew has earned an entry in my personal top 10 list. Outstanding.

01-16-2013 18:14:36 | More by GossageBrewery
doho95fu

4.97/5  rDev +20%

This is my favorite Unibroue product so far. The appearance is golden with a white medium head and constant bubbles. The smell is of fruit, mostly white grapes and apple. The taste also includes these flavors with a heavy emphasis on apple. The mouthfeel is good with the flavor being emphasized by the carbonation (alot of bubbles in this brew). This is the smoothest and lightest 9.0 ABV I have tasted. Really good.

01-03-2003 18:35:59 | More by doho95fu
brewer27513

4.97/5  rDev +20%

Somewhat lighter in color than expected. Malty aroma with fruity over tones and a hint of sulfur. The taste is smooth, malty and with a spicy fruitiness that blends very well. The alcohol is deceiving with this ale. A clasic example of a Belgan Golden Stong. Great beer to engoy with a friend.

09-04-2004 19:30:51 | More by brewer27513
dcook11

4.97/5  rDev +20%

Possibly my favorite beer of all time. Poured into a tulip.

A- Dark straw color. Very high carbonation. Two finger white head that fades into a pencil thin one. Dark champagne? Becomes cloudy on the final por due to the yeast.

S- Fantastic smell. Perfect. I get red apple, a touch of green apple, belgian yeast, slight honey, very flowery. Smells perfume like.

T- Green apple, cider, touch of bitterness at the finish. Belgian yeast. Honey.

M- Medium bodied.

O- The best beer I have had in the style. One of my favorites, if not my favorite beer of all time. Perfection.

08-23-2011 05:22:16 | More by dcook11
BKotch

4.95/5  rDev +19.6%

In my mind (?), this is not a strong Belgian golden ale a la Duvel, nor is it a tripel. It's a pumped-up wit. A very, very good pumped-up wit, mind you. This ale is to Blanche de Chambly (Unibroue's wit) as de Koninck Grand Cru is to regular de Koninck; i.e. a beer to be sipped and not guzzled. I believe Hoegaarden has a Grand Cru version of their wit but I've never tried it. I bet they're similar.

10-12-2001 14:32:40 | More by BKotch
mariposafan

Wisconsin

4.95/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from a 12oz, twist-off crown bottle into a Duvel Tulip.

Just beautiful slightly hazy, bright gold-orange. The head was a little short and faded far more quickly than I expected, however.

The aroma is wonderful - a mix of a BSPA and a Witbier. Lots of yeast, banana and orange layered on top of the sweetness of the malt.

The flavor is very much like the aroma - yeast, spiciness, banana and malt. The citrus side is a little more subdued than it has been in most of the Witbiers that I've tried, which makes it just perfect. There's a smoothness and creaminess that is amazing to me - it's slightly cut not by bitterness but by a hint of alcohol.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a relatively gentle carbonation. So smooth!

I'm not sure this is really in the same style as Duvel but whatever style it really represents it's amazing. This has just joined La Fin du Monde in my permanent rotation.

09-11-2011 20:53:10 | More by mariposafan
ericduran

Oklahoma

4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Well, nothing to write home about but I mean what do you expect for a BSPA? Slightly turbid, blonde at the edges fading to gold at the center.

S - Smells like all light colored beers should. Tons of apple peel and sharp white grape. GOLDEN RAISINS and CANDI SUGAR up the wazoo. Smells really similar to a white wine. I really like it. Belgian spice. Funk. White wine tartness going into vinegar. Slight animal muskiness. Noble hops. Cider. Phenols.

An earthiness I can't quite put my finger on....

Synaesthetically, yellow glazed with a crystalline silvery white milkiness.

T - Dry white wine, apple cider. CANDI SUGAR. Fermented malt. Vinous hop resin.

Mouthfeel - Nice belgian mouthfeel, you know, that paradoxically syrupy but dry thing. Balanced carbonation that sends the aromas of this really good beer up into your olfactory receptors. Color me crazy but a bit more prickliness would be even better! A bit more carbonation and a small tweak of the water chemistry would do this.

O - A great beer, but since I have not had many BSPAs, I cannot compare it to its competition. Although, compared to Duvel, it's no contest. I'll take this any day.

11-03-2011 02:29:47 | More by ericduran
joesmithrealname

Connecticut

4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

So, here I am, outside. It's a beautiful night,no clouds....complete Star field. Bit of the glow from the airport in East Granby,Connecticut.
I am outside because my landlord switched our electrical service to save us money. What she forgot to do was find out where the bill gets paid.
All that aside,it's almost midnight.
I detoured around a DUI checkpoint, although I only had one Guinness at the neighborhood bar near the laundromat. I have a battery powered lantern, my beach chair, a carrot cake that my mother made, and a Unibrow sampler.
I went for the Don De Dieu, as I had never had it before.
Out of a tulip glass from the Coachlight dinner theater in East Windsor,Connecticut now defunct.
This beer surprises me. I wonder, should I have poured all of that yeast into the glass?
No matter, as it's at the bottom and the carbonation is still flowing. I believe that the trees and I are going to have a very fun night.
This beer is wonderful, and the perfect way to rough it. The bright white from my lantern is really showing off how beautiful the beer is!
I love the fruity flavor, and the tang on my tongue upon the finí.
May there be a Belgian in my hand when I get mauled by a bear later tonight. The carrot cake goes really well with this.
I'm about to consult Mary Jane, and see what she thinks of this whole development. I'm sure she would approve, but I'll never know, until tomorrow when I wake up.

05-17-2013 04:07:05 | More by joesmithrealname
Aaron_James

British Columbia (Canada)

Wonderful beer.
Have tried everything from Unibroue, and this is my favorite beer so far.
It has a beautiful pour; however, the head was quick to dissipate.
Full body, flavor is similar to other unibroue beer but greater presence of wheat.
Smell is sweet, but again similar to other unibroue beers.
Served in a tulip glass this is an attractive beer.
Only wish they sold 750ml in Victoria.

01-25-2014 06:31:54 | More by Aaron_James
SpencerSauce

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

love this brewey. you gotta get one. Unibroue is perhaps my favorite brewery.

A- dark golden almost orange.

S- Banana smell. Nice malts.

T- banana and clove. slight spice.

M- smooth. and very crisp.

D- such an easy drinker i could hardly beleive it was a 9% abv beer.

05-02-2009 15:37:38 | More by SpencerSauce
Murph

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Wow........I had read a lot of the reviews for this brew and it certainly lived up to the expectations. It pours a beautiful golden yellow with a nice frothy head that slowly dissipates to about 1/2 in. thick and then even more slowly goes to a nice retaining lace. The smell is very fruity and complex. Due to my winter long stuffed nose I wasn't able to fully interpret it. The taste is...wonderful. Creaminess dominates throughout with traces of fruit (bananas?), biscuits, and subtle spices. It finishes very crisp. Smooth creaminess is what the mouthfeel is all about with the perfect carbonation. Not too intrusive but just enough to let you know it is there and to enhance the taste. A very drinkable beer for its 9.0 % ABV. Another amazing beer from Unibroue. Currently my favorite of theirs, although, my favorite seems to be whatever is in my glass at the time.

02-18-2002 23:52:24 | More by Murph
mophie

Delaware

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

First off, this is an oustanding beer. It is clear that the masters at Unibroue are true artisans. Golden yellow, slightly hazy, with a beautiful white foamy head that thins but stays through the glass. Smells of spices, sweet citrus (qumquats and orange), and fresh baked bread. The mouthfeel is very round, as it seems to impact just about every tastebud. Carbonation is perfect - not too much, not too little. Slightly sweet, orange and rind taste, a touch of honey, with a pleasant alcohol finish. What a treat!

03-09-2002 20:04:48 | More by mophie
Wildman

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

This beer poured a cloudy straw color and formed a bubbly white head. An aroma of citrus, yeasts and spices. Some carbonation is present. A flavor of spice with some bready elements. The finish is a touch tart and reflects some of the alcohol present. A good beer for this style.

12-14-2002 17:57:13 | More by Wildman
waughbrew

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

This is the closest beer to a white wine that I have ever had, but it is more complex and spicy than any white that I have had.

Clear light golden-yellow with a very loud fizzy head that doesn't last too long, or lace at all. Smell tells you what you are in for - a yeast/spice showcase! Hooray! Alive and well with strawberries, marshmallow, white pepper, light citrus, and vanilla. Wow. Really superb. Big vanilla flavor reminiscent of some better white wines, with some butter, pear, and green apple present also. The pepperiness really plays off the simple malt sweetness here to make an absolute winner. Alcohol present in the perfect amount to compliment the rest. Light bodied and semi-slick despite the healthy carbonation. Finish is again wine-like, well balanced, woody, and warming. Awesome.

06-10-2005 01:43:09 | More by waughbrew
GClarkage

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

11/22/05- Purchased at Cost Plus in Billings, MT.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, caged and corked with a best by date on the back label. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Cloudy orange pour with a full inch creamy white head and bits and pieces of lace here and there. Quite a sight.

Smell- Corriander and white pepper slams you in the nose with some tropical fruit esters to follow.

Taste- Yum! Lots of mellow sweet fruits including banana, orange and lemon make you take notice. Large corriander taste with some light peppery flavors add together nicely with the fruit.

Mouthfeel- Smooth, creamy and coating. Effervescent carbonation.

Drinkability- Wanted to just glup this down it was so good. As it warms it gets even better. Kinda tough to find around here though. One of my new favorite brews.

11-23-2005 19:39:29 | More by GClarkage
kbnooshay

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Wow. This was my first Unibroue experience and will certainly not be my last. This poured a gorgeous hazy golden-orange color with a nice white head that forms a kickass dome. Good lacing. The smell is definately belgian. Nice and sweet. Clove and banana are there but even more so in the taste. Yeasty goodness. The mouthfeel was almost creamy, but prickly from the carbonation. I can't believe this is a 9% alcohol beer. You can't taste it. It definately hits you like a strong beligian pale but goes down more like a smooth wheat beer. An incredible drinking experience.

06-05-2006 20:27:58 | More by kbnooshay
techdiver

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a cloudy pale golden yelleow with a modest white head that dissipates slowly leaving a frothy cap.

A citrus orange aroma greets the nose before getting close to it. Closer inspection shows apple as well.

Taste is marvelous, not overly complex, just a smooth mellow totally enjoyable brew.

Mouthfeel is very nice with good carbonation that makes it a joy.

Drinkability is so good I wish I had more than this one sample.

01-30-2007 04:34:08 | More by techdiver
wanker

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it. I say that even though I rated Victory Storm King a perfect 5, and DDD lower than 5.

Here's why: although Storm King is perfection in a bottle, it isn't a year-round beer to me. It's too much for hot weather. I look elsewhere to quaff my Texas-in-July thirst.

DDD, on the other hand is light enough for July and complex enough for January. It is a big beer that is light as a feather. The 9% ABV is completely hidden. It is fresh, fruity, tangy and a bit sour, reminiscent of granny smith apple with a bit of grapefruit thrown in. Fairly dry, but not overly so.

Magnificent.

10-12-2007 16:14:46 | More by wanker
RickS95

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

Looks the type. A golden orange, almost apricot color with a hint of haze. The head is a bright, brilliant white series of tiny, tiny bubbles. The head doesn't last terribly long, but it's vibrant while it does.

Has the fruity, tangy yeast smell like the Belgians are known for. A bit of grape and Granny Smith apple, very fruitcake like. You can smell the carbonation.

The follows the same steps as the smell. Granny Smith apples, a hint of honey, slight notes of bread/yeast. As it warms, vanilla shines through.

Crazy complexity. Just about every sensation in your mouth you can think of. Sweet, spicy, tart, tangy, dry, crisp, cleansing, with only hints of bitter and the slightest note of heat from the alcohol. Light-bodied.

Overall, this is about as good a beer as I can remember. It's amazing it's not a Belgian brewery because they've got this beer down pat. No flaws. Really, really a must have.

12-11-2011 04:28:17 | More by RickS95
Mitchster

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

Gorgeous looking brew! Slightly cloudy straw golden with orange accents. Adding the yeast forms a murky concoction resembling 75% raw apple cider, and 25% milk. The white head is large, sitting atop medium-sized bubbles. The head continues to form outside the rim of the glass, forming a peak with a light meringue texture. Retention is superior with good lacing. Aroma is awesome...Dry, sweet, yeasty with a note of sour Belgian funk, sour green apples, lemon, bananas and a hint of clove. Carbonation is medium-strong. Mouthfeel is very smooth with a lightly tart, semi-dry finish and light body. Taste...where to begin? Begins sweet and fruity...notes of apricots, and green apples...there is a brief surge in some sourness with a hint of funk, followed by the taste of French bread dipped in honey. There is a warming surge of alcohol, but otherwise it is never noticed in flavor or aroma... a consistency among Unibroue's beers, and a true mark of quality at 9.0% ABV. The finish is sweet, malty and full of yeast, with a perceptable vinous astringency from the alcohol. The hops are expertly balanced, adding to the complexity of this brew while making it dangerously drinkable. A 750ml bottle will give one a very sustained buzz.

This is my favorite Unibroue product. I have not been unimpressed by any of their brews, and I would highly recommend this to anyone. Makes Westmalle, Duvel Red, Chimay White, and La Trappe look like ugly red-headed bastard stepchildren. On with the beatings!

05-06-2003 17:22:46 | More by Mitchster
dmarch

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

Gorgeous looking beer. Hazy and golden in color with a large white head that diminishes into a fine lace. Alcohol in spices in the aroma. The tast is more fruity with characteristics od a wheat beer. Lots of bananna and tropical fruit. A very light bodied beer that makes it highly drinkable dispite it's strength.

08-14-2003 21:22:13 | More by dmarch
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

I don't know which is my favourite now, this or La fin du Monde. Oh Lord, what a delicious brew. Pours a pale gold with a hint of orange. Looks like a sunset. Big, fluffy head with staying power. That sucker didn't diminish at all. Stayed two fingers and remained two fingers. Bonus points for that. Such a wonderful scent. Pale malts, cloves, bananas, apricots, pears, oranges, lemons, even a bit of grapefruit and other various exotic fruits. With an alcohol kick, of course. Oh God, what a heavenly taste. Sweet, smooth and delicious. Bananas at first show up on the tongue, entering like a close friend. Then KAPOW!!! It's a mob of fruits and malts. Their having a party. But not a rowdy party, a civilized party. More of a social gathering. Crowded, but polite. And ever so good. A nice, creamy mouthfeel that coats the throat and goes down smooth. Sorry though, needs a little more thickness for a perfect score. Drinkable? Oh yeah. I could drink this all day, every day. I dunno know. I think this and La fin du Monde are now tied. Hopefully, this will now be easier to get in Ontario.

09-12-2004 01:36:14 | More by slitherySOB