2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Don De Dieu - Unibroue

Don De DieuDon De Dieu

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-06-2000)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Don De Dieu Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,181 | Reviews: 1,202 | Show All Ratings:
JRhode

750 bottle split with jessethehutt into two Duvel tulips. Best before 10/15/11.

Murky orange in color with billowing head that quickly dissipated.

Aroma of orange rind is overwhelming. Not picking up much else. Maybe some sweetness due to alcohol.

Taste of bitter orange, but sweet alcohol on the finish. Mouthfeel is a little syrupy for the style. Carbonation is prickly yet not lively. Flavors bog down a little. Lacks the crispness/dryness that I associate with the style.

Drinkability is solid for 9% abv.

08-07-2009 04:35:53 | More by JRhode
colefsuwr

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%

Two very defining smells from this beer: cloves (and a lot of them), and amyl acetate (banana). The banana is very very faint and you might have to dig for it in a snifter but it is there. The cloves overwhelmed my palate, and seemed to sit much heavier than I would have guessed in my stomach.

01-14-2010 21:07:33 | More by colefsuwr
brouwer

Montana

3.63/5  rDev -12.3%

This opaque golden brown ale from Unibroue does not disappoint. After uncorking, and pouring into a fluted glass the 3 inch head quickly formed. Smell was less than inspiring with rather flat aroma of mild (I tried so much to smell I inhaled) typical yeast/fruit. The taste improves the character significantly with above average but not complex taste. The mouthfeel was good with appropriate carbonation and clean aftertaste. This was an overall good but underwhelming "strong" Belgian pale Ale.

08-13-2010 01:21:40 | More by brouwer
Geuzedad

Arizona

Poured this beer into a snifter. Poured a cloudy yellow with a white head that quickly dissipitated leaving some lacing which also dissipitated.

Smell was spicey with hints of lemon and coriander, also a slight floral note.

Taste was a a mix of wheat, hop, and spice, with alcohol in the forefront. A good warm zesty finish.

I usually stay away from Pale Ales but this is a definite exeption. Very drinkable. This beer is definitely being added to my list of favorites.

02-20-2011 21:00:30 | More by Geuzedad
ratrod53

Indiana

3.2/5  rDev -22.7%

a- Golden cloudy yellow not much head goes away quickly
s- vinigerie sweet some guys arround me say it smells like urine
t- fruity vinigre not many hopps cant tast them at all cant tell that it has 9%
m- good carbonation leaves nouth a little dry like you just had a hard apple cider
o- not a bad beer if someone handed it to me i would probaly drink it but wouldnt buy it

04-17-2011 02:29:33 | More by ratrod53
barrenbane

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle poured into a large wine glass (the house I'm stay at doesn't have goblets or beer glasses).

A: dark orange and very hazy. Almost has a "glowing" affect. Beautiful.

S: smells of crisp fruit and a slight tang of alcohol.

T: similar to other Unibroue Belgian styles. Fruity, tangy, and a very slight bitter finish. Excellent.

M: thick and carbonated. Similar to champagne.

The liquor store warehouse had this in stock, and it was the first time I've seen it for sale. In my opinion, it's right up there with La Fin Du Monde and Maudite. I will definitely purchase this again.

08-05-2011 00:19:52 | More by barrenbane
Vylo

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a hazy pleasant color, a bit darker then other belgian pale ales I have tried.

Smell is pleasant, but subtle.

Taste is outstanding. I didn't realize it was a pale ale at first, bit bit stronger taste then I am used to from this style (A good thing).

Mouthfeel was fantastic, best part. Classic belgian style, with large frothy head, good carbonation.

Awesome beer everyone should try at least once.

12-20-2011 21:08:30 | More by Vylo
kcinlober

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: opaque golden color with about two fingers of head. A little bit of lacing.

Aroma: yeast cloves straw citrus fairly prevalent.

Palate: begins with almost creamy citrus taste. Soft is more of the right word. Moves right into the clove/yeast taste of these beers and finishes fairly dry and a little hoppy. Excellent all the way through, but a little thick so its difficult to guzzle.

06-10-2012 20:52:28 | More by kcinlober
andyj

Washington

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

This ale on lees, which is a fancy term for bottled conditioned ale, has a wonderful spice kick to it that I just can't place. Maybe a touch more coriander or cardamon? It has a cloudy appearance, so I assume they use some wheat adjuncts as they do with some of their other beers. Then again perhaps that spicey kick is from rye? It had a nice foamy and a wonderfully silky mouthfeel. It went down well on a humid Saturday below the Mason-Dixon Line!

06-30-2003 06:37:16 | More by andyj
Dixonian

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured into my Unibroue tulip. Frothy white head that lasted throughout. Cloudy honey like color. Smells like bananas and clove. Pretty much tastes, looks, and smells like a belgian strong pale ale should-perfect example of the style. Hides the alcohol very well and is very smooth-could easily kill a four pack in a night.

I will and do buy this and most Unibroue beers on an almost regular basis. Their in house yeast strain is unique and complex which more often than not makes for some special brews.

04-18-2010 06:18:34 | More by Dixonian
FishMan123

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got this as part of a sampler pack. Very nice beers.

A: Very cloudy, yellow-amber. Head pours thick, then fades quickly leaving no lacing. Some sediment to be roused from bottom of bottle.

S: Wheat grain, fruity. Lemon & peach(?)

T: Nice flavor. Sweet lemon apparent, some pepper. Bitterness, but not too much. Aftertaste mild. Maybe too much lemon for some.

M: Crisp and light. Well carbonated. Alchohol apparent.

D: Nicely drinkable, but I probably wouldn't have a second right away. Sweetness builds.

All in all a very nice wheat beer.

07-12-2010 13:25:28 | More by FishMan123
BabySnakes

4.47/5  rDev +8%

A nice golden yellow with some cloudiness (bottle conditioned). Quickly dissapating head.

Aroma of a dry sweet belgian pale ale type, possibly a slight grassy smell.

Really nice crisp-tart-dry mouthfeel initially with a front of tongue sweetness. Leaves me wanting another sip.

I prefer the crispy briskness of this Belgian Pale Ale over Ommegang's offering. Really nice balance between the horse/must flavor of belgian yeast and the refreshing balance of a pale ale. Lingering aftertaste of green apple. Reminiscent of a nice pinot grigio actually. A slight boozy heat as it is imbibed reminds of it's 9% abv. Recommended for a change of pace.

04-15-2011 20:51:37 | More by BabySnakes
gottajiboo2

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

it poured a cloudy yellow orange, with a thick white foam head. I noticed the smell of apples, and something mysterious. (a good mysterious) it had a sweet and citrusy warming taste. a very bubbly light champagne and smooth feel to it. Very tasty brew. Somthing to enjoy and relax with or have with a hearty meal

cheers!

04-20-2007 22:14:50 | More by gottajiboo2
xrdsci

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Hazy, pale orange. Quickly fading head.

S: Orange/citrus, spicy, maybe some pear.

T: Orange/citrus dominates, hints of pear and honey. Spicy clove towards the middle, and a nice hop presence on the back end. Alcohol is well-hidden.

M: Very smooth and creamy. Tingly carbonation.

D: Almost dangerously easy to drink at such a high ABV.

09-15-2010 01:29:27 | More by xrdsci
kpwill07

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

A strong belgian from Unibroue. Has a golden look to it, lightly cloudy. Decent sized head.

Smells great; spicy, fruity, and I swear I thought I caught some vanilla in there.

T&M: A nice, strong taste, citrus-like spice is dominant. Again, I could swear I tasted a lingering vanilla in the finish. The alcohol is hidden very well in my opinion, as it stands at 9% and does not feel that way at all.

Drinkability, I would say is decent, for a beer running at 9.0% ABV. Something about this beer keeps me coming back, but it's hard to put my finger on it.

05-25-2006 16:43:00 | More by kpwill07
jonworth

High, dense head that dissipates quickly leaving very minute traces of lacing. Opaque amber body, yet very little yeast residue despite being bottle conditioned. Citrus and floral on the nose, strong citrus punch on the tongue. ABV (9%) well-concealed in this one, very pleasant--easy to overdo! This is one of my favorites, a leader of the pack, which I cannot recommend highly enough.

02-18-2008 04:53:40 | More by jonworth
dennarb

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

It pours almost orange with an ivory head. The carbonation holds up for a good fifteen minutes. This is one delicious beer. The aroma just jumps out as you before the glass gets near your mouth. And what an aroma - full of ripe peaches and home made toffee but not the least artificial - somehow clean on top of the fruitiness. The taste is even better -round and malty with just the right hints of fruit and spices to make every mouthful a joy. There certainly is some alcohol and wheatiness that give it spunk. The name means something like gift of God and that would be silly for most beers but not this one.

03-29-2009 04:40:20 | More by dennarb
MShirokov

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer has the same spirit as Fin du Monde, but is less intense, less sweet, a bit more bitter and carbonated. Which makes it perfect, since Fin du Monde is way too sweet and yeasty for me. If it was just a tiny bit more hoppy I'd love it, but for what it is, they did a great job.

04-11-2013 03:19:37 | More by MShirokov
xxHelderxx

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured out a hazy orangey blonde with about 2 fingers worth of foamy head resulting from a semi aggressive pour. The head dissipated quickly retreating to a thin yellowish white color head.

The nose on this one is full of orangey citrus spice (coriander) making their presence known.

The taste of this one is a little tart immediately which gives way to a well balanced warming effect due to the ABV of this beer. It goes down smooth with a nice sweet aftertaste.

The mouthfeel of this beer is very agreeable. No over carbonation here and there is no lingering bitterness to be found. Very easy on the mouth.

This is a very drinkable beer and its cirtus character as well as its extraordinary balance make it quite refreshing. This would be fantastic on a hot day. Give it a try!

02-15-2009 03:21:24 | More by xxHelderxx
DamDweller

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Unibroue Don de Dieu,

Nice cloudy golden copper color. Initial thick white head that quickly receded. On the nose there are hints of mango citrus and a sweet buttery smell like kettle cooked popcorn. Tastes very fruity. There are notes of bananas, peaches, mangos coupled with a hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. The beer has a decent body with considerable carbonation. It is definitely a beer one can drink any time of year, but drinker be wary, the alcohol is not obvious.

11-17-2010 23:46:12 | More by DamDweller
bfflo

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a turbulent, cloudy apple-juice yellow, with floaties, and a full and fluffy white head. Retention is pretty good, not much lacing. Smell is spiced apples and cinnamon, licorice, bready and slightly pungent notes, with a diffused alcoholic undertone. Strong, strange bouquet overall. Starts off and finishes not unlike a hard apple cider of some kind, with a champagne-like prickly, punchy middle, and a dry wine/dried-apple finish. I used to absolutely love this beer -- it was one of my favorites -- but after a long fall/winter season of stouts and porters, this tastes too much like some kind of weird, spicy candy-beer. While tasty, it is too sweet and apple-juicey, coming off a little like some kind of oddball glorified wine cooler. Don't get me wrong, it's still pretty good, and there's a lot going on in it; but I am not as taken with it these days as I once was. B.

01-11-2011 02:50:24 | More by bfflo
capaneus

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

(A) pours a hazy straw gold with a tall foamy head. very little lacing, though swirling the brew left thousand of tiny bubbles momentarily clinging to the sides of the glass. very nice to look at.

(S) orange zest, cloves, and pineapple. very fruity!

(T) much less citrus than the nose would indicate. spiciness and a rum-soaked fresh fruit strawberry or pineapple taste predominates. there's an initial sense of sweetness which gives way to a dry finish.

(M) prickly but substantial, this brew's a little thicker than i would prefer but it's not offputting. as the beer warms the booziness becomes somewhat more apparent.

(D) i probably wouldn't drink more than one at a time, but i would enjoy every sip. i chased this one with "La Fin du Monde" - a duet I recommend.

06-08-2010 18:08:01 | More by capaneus
Skeeter206

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Served from a bottle poured into a large Duvel Tulip Glass.

A ~ Dark orange color, pours with a 1 and 1/5 finger head, quickly dissipating into a slight ring with zero lacing. Yeast is very noticeable when looked at in front of a light.

S ~ Strong fruit smell, slight hops, smell mostly pear, apple, yeast, a little lemon.

T ~ A whole bunch of fruit flavor, as well as the classic Unibroue yeast flavor. Strong pear, apple, lemon, bitter aftertaste of hops, but not too much for such a fruity beer.

M ~ Good carbonation, a little thick but good and well balanced.

O ~ Not my favorite offering from Unibroue but still a good beer, definitely solid for the style but I would take a La Fin Du Monde over this anytime. Well balanced for a 9% beer but like I said if you are buying this at a store I would take La Fin Du Monde over it anytime because they should both be available.

01-08-2013 01:48:21 | More by Skeeter206
joesmithrealname

Connecticut

4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

So, here I am, outside. It's a beautiful night,no clouds....complete Star field. Bit of the glow from the airport in East Granby,Connecticut.
I am outside because my landlord switched our electrical service to save us money. What she forgot to do was find out where the bill gets paid.
All that aside,it's almost midnight.
I detoured around a DUI checkpoint, although I only had one Guinness at the neighborhood bar near the laundromat. I have a battery powered lantern, my beach chair, a carrot cake that my mother made, and a Unibrow sampler.
I went for the Don De Dieu, as I had never had it before.
Out of a tulip glass from the Coachlight dinner theater in East Windsor,Connecticut now defunct.
This beer surprises me. I wonder, should I have poured all of that yeast into the glass?
No matter, as it's at the bottom and the carbonation is still flowing. I believe that the trees and I are going to have a very fun night.
This beer is wonderful, and the perfect way to rough it. The bright white from my lantern is really showing off how beautiful the beer is!
I love the fruity flavor, and the tang on my tongue upon the finí.
May there be a Belgian in my hand when I get mauled by a bear later tonight. The carrot cake goes really well with this.
I'm about to consult Mary Jane, and see what she thinks of this whole development. I'm sure she would approve, but I'll never know, until tomorrow when I wake up.

05-17-2013 04:07:05 | More by joesmithrealname
DPJ3322

Louisiana

4.21/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got a 25 ounce corked bottle with a best by date of 08/15/15 so I think it's reasonably fresh.

Appearance - I poured it into a tulip and it gave a nice, bubbly white head. It settled down to about one finger around the rim. The color of the body was a deep golden-light orange hue.

Smell - I get a winey, almost grape like smell pitted against coriander. It smells to me like a wine like trippel. I also get orange peels maybe.

Taste - Citrus/coriander is pretty dominant with a peculiar aftertaste I can't quite put my finger on.

Mouthfeel - A little bite with the carbonation, very nice.

Overall - A nice beer, basically to me it's a Trippel crossed with a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Quite enjoyable and refreshing. I like it a bit more than Duvel and Local 1.

03-08-2014 03:59:29 | More by DPJ3322