Don De Dieu - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Don De Dieu Alström Bros

3.9/5  rDev -6%

A-Very cloudy yellow orange, one finger head that doesn't last long.

S-Orange, lemon, wheat, apples, some clove and banana as well.

T-A lot of apples, oranges are there. Tad bit of wheat, bananas and clove as well. Blend is not perfect as I'd like as too much apple.

M-Medium bodied, well carbonated and smooth.

O-Too much apple for my liking. Maybe I don't care for apples in my beer.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.15/5  rDev 0%

they call this a "triple wheat ale" on their website. that's interesting. 9.0% wow. not tasting the alcohol. what i AM tasting is a lot of fruity (undefinable) richness. much like a hefe, i suppose.
A- honey looking/ orangey, semi-cloudy lighter liquid. decent head at pour but dissipates rapidly.
S- fruity!
T- fruity! hefe-type, too. or, you can go with the website: "Smooth, complex flavor that is slightly fruity, malty, nutty, and yeasty, with a hint of unfiltered sake."
i like nutty. i dont think there is any "nutty" here. and sake?
O- way too rich for me. my favorite for a long while was the Franziskaner Hefe, but it grew very much too rich for me. i'm getting that from this brew. maybe in an earlier day, but not anymore. got a really nice smell off the cork and there is DEFINITELY no hint of the high alcohol content- maybe that's the best tribute to this brew- but it's WAY too rich for my liking. i would still recommend this heartily, though. i'm certain it's only a thing with my tastebuds....

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance - Pours a straw yellow, just like many beers, with a soapy, two finger that forms rapidly and then recedes faster than my hairline. No visible sign of lacing, wicked carbonation action present inside the glass.

Smell - Lots of fruits, especially apples and bananas. Like I have seen and written before, the banana to me is the defining characteristic for many German and Belgian styles. Some and wheat field smell in there as well, but the fruits are dominant.

Taste - Yeast forms a good backbone for more apples, grapes, and banana esters, as well as a slight hint of wheat or hay. Almost exactly like the nose, but interesting more on the palate than on the olfactory.

Mouthfeel - High carbonation, finishes dry and a little prickly.

Overall - This is a style I'm not crazy about, but this is certainly a good beer, one worth trying. I love Belgian Strong Ale, but Belgian Strong Pale really isn't my thing. Points were deducted for the unflattering appearance of this brew. I would certainly recommend to try this once, but I don't think I'll buy it again.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Pours a suductive, hazy, golden lemon yellow into my Bruery Tulip. A humongous, crispy white head springs forth with the pour, and fades almost as quickly as it was created. Not one trace or drip of lacing is left behind. Fantastic carbonation bubbles from below and never stops.

S- Lemons, pears, green apples, cloves, banana, and some sweet grainy wheat. Picking up some lovely barnyard notes as it warms up. Little hints of Muscat grapes... but this is mostly about the tart apple and banana yeastiness. No real sign of hops. Delicate but bold is how I'd describe this one.

T- WOW! Just superb! So floral and fruity! Over ripe banana's, fresh picked apples, multi-grain bread, white grapes, and just a hint of funky yeast. Starts out really bubbly when first poured, but settles down and really wraps around your tongue as it warms up. Love the white pepper and clove spiciness! Amazing blend of sweetness, tart fruit and subtle, yet funky yeast.

M- The carbonation pops and prickles at the first pour, then as it warms up... it dies down and coats your mouth like a sugary syrup. Really open and alive! This beer to me... is bread!!! God Damn Good Bread!!! Nutty, spicy, grainy, fruity and overall... just makes you want more!

O- Damn near perfect! I wanna try some of this with some years on it! This just made it into my monthly rotation!!!

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%

A - Very "macro" appearing, excpet for the slightly darker more murky body. Head is very fizzy and macro-like, quickly and almost violently fizzing away to nothing.

S - Ripe granny smith apples is the first thing that comes to the nose followed by that distinctive "belgian" smell akin to banana. Smells very rich. Hops are hardly noticeable.

T - Tart like sour apples, but not too sweet or dry. Almost champagne-like, except fitting right in the middle of the spectrum of dry to sweet.

M - Prickly carbonation, as I would have assumed from the head formation.

O - Really interesting flavor, I can't think of any other beer I would compare it to, which I find to be a good thing.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.19/5  rDev +1%

LOOK (3/5) ~ pours a rich gold with some nice orange tones. The head is really nice: it comes up large on a good pour; it falls at a usual pace with little lacing to a cap that lasts; the texture is fairly mousse-like. Clarity is very poor for the style, it’s almost totally opaque. Some nice visible carbonation.

SMELL (4/5) ~ fairly mild aroma, actually. There’s not a whole lot going on with the grain bill here. The main player seems to be yeast: it was a somewhat cidery character with a lot of light fruit (especially orange and a bit of pear); some spice, but not as strong as some of this style that I’ve encountered. Perfumy and floral alcohols round out the flavor with a mild hop note that blends in well with the finish (its hard to identify where the yeast stops and hop and alcohols begin).

FLAVOUR (4.5/5) ~ A great flavour. Really nice fruit and spice characters come together here. The malt character is very mild, but I do get a hint of crystal and maybe a bit of melanoidin in there; there may also be some wheat, but I can’t be sure. Again, the yeast character seems fairly cidery with some nice orange and pear notes in there as well; some peppery phenols come in at the end and last right into the finish in a really nice way. Some nice alcohol flavours that are floral and actually seem a bit sweet. Lower hop flavor is citrus and spices (I think, it might be blending in with the yeast a bit too much to tell. Moderate hop bitterness is a perfect balance for the lighter fruity notes.

FEEL (3.5/5) ~ medium carbonation ( I would usually expect a bit higher carb) with a medium body. Some alcoholic warmth on the finish. Decent, for style , but not really that great.

I like this style a lot and I’d say that this was a really good example, but I’d also say that this one really flirts with the boundary between a Tripel and a Belgian Strong Golden Ale. I found that it was a touch sour for my tastes, but very good overall.

This was also cellared for about a year and a half prior to drinking.

Don De Dieu from Unibroue