Don De Dieu - Unibroue

Don De DieuDon De Dieu

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-06-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Don De Dieu Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -6%

750ml corked bottle from Bevmo. Cork launched with enough force to dent my 14 foot high ceiling. Pours a hazy cloudy gold color with a huge head that receded to 1/4 inch and held. Aroma is moderate in strength and loaded with spice. Flavor is all Belgian; complex with cloves, allspice, coriander, citrus, thyme and hazelnuts. Mouthfeel is full and satisfying with lively prickly carbonation. Hops are well integrated. Finish is long and sticky-sweet. Overall an excellent beer.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a one finger short lived fizzy whitish head. Smells very sweet with hints of citrusy fruits in the background. Pleasant yeasty aromas also noted. Tastes a little tangy and sweet, lemony tartness... no, maybe pears. Definite summer fruit taste. Almost like a fruit beer, but its not. Earthy flavors in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is lighter than I would prefer, a little mouth coating, but the carbonation could be longer lasting, instead of a short lived fizz. As the beer warms, the tartness mellows and allows the real fruit flavors to pull through. Definitely one of the best beers I've ever had. And for $6 a bottle, its a definite buy every time I see it available.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

750ml corked bottle with a tulip glass.

Golden yellow with hazy clarity, foamy white head that settles quickly with average lacing.

Nose is pears, apples, vanilla bean, and light spice. Soft Unibroue yeast smell that goes well.

Light bodied, crisp and clean. Juicy tart golden delicious apples (like the real thing, I swear), light pears, somewhat spicy and creamy finish. A bit watery and feels like something is missing texture-wise. Carbonation is mild.

Very quaffable, tasty, and refreshing. Nice beer, and it seems a lot lighter than it actually is (9%). Lots of apples...

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

If I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life, this would be it. I say that even though I rated Victory Storm King a perfect 5, and DDD lower than 5.

Here's why: although Storm King is perfection in a bottle, it isn't a year-round beer to me. It's too much for hot weather. I look elsewhere to quaff my Texas-in-July thirst.

DDD, on the other hand is light enough for July and complex enough for January. It is a big beer that is light as a feather. The 9% ABV is completely hidden. It is fresh, fruity, tangy and a bit sour, reminiscent of granny smith apple with a bit of grapefruit thrown in. Fairly dry, but not overly so.

Magnificent.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Opened with a strong scent of apples and yeast. Poured into a snifter with a beautiful hazy, honey-gold color. Nice foamy head with subtle carbonation. Lacing remained on the side of the glass throughout the tasting. Surprisingly light and smooth mouthfeel with a mild, tart taste. Nice finish with a hint of citrus (grapefruit?). Very pleasant and versatile brew.

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured into a tulip

A - Murky gold, small white head. Some lacing.

S - Apples and yeast, mostly. Unusual for the beers I normally drink. Definitely define the Belgian aspect from the sweet smell.

T - Familiar Belgian malt flavor, hops very subdued. Would have like more balance at the finish - almost a little cloying.

M - Medium body with LOTS of carbonation. Alcohol warmth evident.

D - A fine beer, just not by favorite style or presentation. A little too sweet and carbonated for me.

a: Light, white head slowly recedes to a healthy layer and ring. The beer is golden in color.

s: A range of light, cinnamon-appley fruits and yeasts first greet the nose with delicate pale malts. Just a touch of cider aroma with a gentle sour twang. Obvious white grape with some spicy notes well integrated, possibly yeast by products as opposed to a brewing addition. Spicy, subtle Belgian hops. Sweet and fruity with a balancing touch of sour...I like.

m: High carbonation manages to still be smooth, with a body probably on the lower side of medium but coming across pretty light.

t: Pale malt base with overtones of white grape, sugared green apples, and spicy yeast. Goes from a gentle sweetness to quite dry in the finish. Papery, aged hop flavors with a considerable, though balanced, bitterness.

d: easy drinkability, abv well hidden

single bottle from WF Raleigh

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a decent white head that dissipated into a nice cap. Not a typical explosive Belgian head. The smell is of light corriander and orange peel, definitely not as strong as The End of the World. The taste is light yet flavorful. The corriander and orange peel makes its way to the taste, again not very strong. Some Belgian candi sugar, but not too sweet, quite mellow. It has a light fruity taste, maybe some lemon and some tart apple to balance. The feel is moderate and a bit fizzy, finishes fairly balanced. A fairly light tasting Belgian style brew that is quite refreshing. The 9% ABV is not close to being detected.

3.9/5  rDev -6%

This is a quality offering from a first rate brewhouse that does not get nearly the recognition it deserves. The beer pours an orangish, cloudy color with a white fizzy head that does hang around for awhile. The smell is Belgian -- sweet malts, candied sugars, spices, lemon, citrus. The smell is good but not brilliant in that it does impart some sourness and other unnatural aromas. The taste is quite good. The carbonation is spot on, the alcohol is warming but very well masked, and the taste is the yeasty fizz, candied sugars, sweets, spices, fruits one would expect from a Belgian pale. You also don't get that strong peppery finish that Belgian imitators seemed to get trapped in. This is an enjoyable beer but it is suprisingly lighter bodied than I would have expected and this does compromise the quality to an extent. The aftertaste is slightly warming alcohol but very mild for a beer of this ABV. You can't go wrong here. L'Chaim.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

12-ounce bottle. Poured into a chalice, the cloudy light orange-amber body sits under an initially-huge white billowy head, that quickly fades to a thin lid, but which continues to be replenished by the ample carbonation riding from the yeasty liquid. Not much lacing, but still, a pretty beer. Fascinating color.

Smell is warm, fruity, overtly yeasty like rising bread dough, a little bit of funk, and some floral hops, though not much. Nice smell. Hope it tastes this good.

Taste follows the smell, though there is a bit more of the warm fruitiness and a bit less of the yeastiness. Lots of spice notes as well, which were mostly missing in the aroma: clove is most notable, with a peppery finish. I like it.

Mouthfeel is surpisingly rich and round. Not thick and cloying, but really slurpy. Mmmm.

Drinkability? Well, if you had told me this was a 4.5% brew, I would have said it has a surprisingly rich taste for a light beer. Truly, the alcohol is utterly absent from the taste. I wish I had some more. Sessionable? Don't think so. Drinkable? Very much so.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

A - A classic Unibroue label with beautiful artwork depicting a ship in calm waters with the rays of light showing that the storm is over and all is safe. I think that Don de Dieu means "gift of god" or "day of god" and I imagine that the ships crew has been given a gift from god in that the waters have calmed and the storm has passed. Whatever. Lets look at the beer. A massive, massive, massive, four finger plus head rises above a clear bright marigold brew that shines like a Spanish doubloon minted from the gold of El Dorado! This is a beautifully hued brew with a really nice and thick head that recedes to a solid cap and gets a little bit rocky on it's way down. Some sea foam lace is left on the glass.

S - The top note is a dead ringer for Dewar's, and I loves me some Dewars! I smell rich sweet scotch-esque malt from afar, but getting closer I smell more vibrant fruit. Banana baby-food, mango, peach, and cantaloupe. There are also some sweet-potato with marshmallows and brown sugar notes that really add complexity. Maple syrup, some muddy earth-tones, and a bit of alcohol are there too. Damn...good stuff!

T - Initially very sweet with huge maple syrup and fruit-syrup flavors (like the apricot pancake syrup at IHOP). Some green grass hops make an appearance in the mid-palate, and make me think of a horse barn or a dry prairie in the fall.

M - Creamy, rich, sugary, and ridiculously full-bodied. Very little carbonation, which is surprising given the gun-shot pop and massive head when pouring. Maybe it expended all of the gas on the head formation and has nothing left for my tongue. That's fine by me, the almost complete lack of carbonation adds to the scotch vibe of this excellent brew. The finish is extraordinarily dry! It wicks the moisture out of my mouth faster than a big tannic cabernet or a mouthful of sand! The desert-dry finish is really great and it helps to clear the sweet sugar from my mouth before the next sip. This is really one of the most unique mouthfeels that I've ever experienced. Note: as suspected a gentle pour results in much more carbonation and a slightly smaller head...pour slowly if you like tingly bubbles, and dump this stuff in the glass if you like smoother low-key carbonation.

D - This stuff is outstanding. Unibroue is quickly becoming my favorite brewer, and this is one of it's better beers. It doesn't quite stand up to the shinning example set forth by it's "apocalyptic" sibling, but it is much different than that outstanding brew and some may like it better. This one deserves world-class status for it's phenomenal mouthfeel alone.

2.2/5  rDev -47%

750 ml bottle that looks impressive,but it stops right there.This one pours a very pale cloudy yellow orange with a nice foamy white head and minimal lacing.
Smell is overpowering of fruit and spices,not what i like in a beer.
Taste is the same with banana oranges pears and little lemon really comming through,i don't know why they call this pale ale,it's more like those wheat beers.
Mouthfeel is a medium warm feel with carbs.
Not my cup of tea,will not buy this one again...to me...this isn't beer...more like a fruit punch.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz bottle from La Trappe A Fromage in Gatineau. Pours a cloudy light beige with mounds of head. Yeasty aroma, but not as strong as some other Unibroue beers. Flavour also feels a bit restrained as compared to some of the other Unibroue upfront wallops. The spiciness is what is most noticeable about this brew, but the typical yeasty Unibroue flavours are not evident in their typical strengths. That can be OK, as some of the Unibroue beers taste somewhat similar, yet awesome, to me. This is an enjoyable beer, but I don't think it offers anything better than Maudite or Trois Pistoles.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

This Ale on Lees pours a hazy gold orange. It also sports a good sized white head, but doesn't quite rival Duvel's rocky white mountain. Regardless, this head is here to stay, but provides no lacing.

Smells of hop and spice. I'm picking up on clove and pepper mostly. There is also a slight hint of alcohol and lemon lurking in the background.

Smooth and light mouthfeel is supported by ultra fine carbonation. Tastes of spiced hops, but there is greater depth than in the nose as the malts make themselves known. The flavor progresses from almost candy sugar and malt to a drying hop spice. Alcohol is nowhere to be seen.

Highly refreshing and drinkable. Enjoyable from cool to warm and very well done. It seems I enjoy about half of Unibroue's beers.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I love this beer!

Where to even start?
A: A beautiful orange color w/ an ivory head. In addition to that it has a bounty of yeast in the bottom of the bottle which I transfered to my tulip glass.

S: Smells of citrus and bread make for a lovely nose.

T: Wow! I love the taste of this beer. Its like mixing all the best fruits in the world. Its a fantastic taste with a wonderful orange finish

M: The mouthfeel is wonderful for a 9%abv. Its not over powering or to thick. Did i mention I loved this beer?

D: Simply drinkable. Nothing really left to say.

BUY THIS BEER! Finally Canada did something awesome! ;-)

Greg I owe you one for introducing me to this!

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

One of my first foreign beer reviews, and I must say I am a bit disappointed. 12 oz. sealed bottle with a nice head and strong aromas. Smells mainly of maybe nutmeg spices and citrus, but pretty strong on those spices. Taste is a warming alcohol and strong malts with spices. A bit too much for me, but I see how some might enjoy it. My tasting party seemed to love the brew, but it was just way too spicy and strong for me. Overall, not even a hardcore fan of this brew would dare try too many of these in a sitting, and for me: I wouldn't pick this up over too many other domestics I've tried, but that might put me in the vast minority.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

It goes without saying that this is a great brew from a truely wonderful brewery. DdD pours a nice yellow orange body with a magnificent pure white head. Spices and fruits dominate the taste buds. It is beer that must be tasted to be believed (much like all Unibroue's creations). Truely unique and wonderful. The 9.0% abv creep up slowly to assassinate your brain cell. Not a problem thought...I would gladly sacrifice a few for a liquid of this magnitude. On the upper tier of beer I have ever had (along with Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde...which I like slightly better, if that is possible).
Caveat: I generally like to pour the yeast sediment directly into the glass to add to the flavor of most beers. DdD is the exception, I would recommend decanting this, as the yeast seems to "muddy-up" the spicyness of the beer. Either way, however, you are in for a treat.

Poured from 750mL bottle with some great art on the label. Pours a nice copper-orange color with good finger or two head. Slightly hazy but not too much so. Definite fruit in the nose, mainly of green apple, sour green apple, and slight smell of alcohol as well. Taste is good. Nothing stand our dramatically, it is a sweet taste with a strong fruit presence. Good amount of carbonation leaves a slightly dry aftertaste. Very light mouthfeel makes this very drinkable however the high alcohol content contradicts that. Overall a very good beer, not my favorite from Unibroue but a great choice.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured nicely from a bomber into a glass and left a frothy head that sizzled away slowly. The color was yellow-orange and the smell was a lemon banana scent very champagne like look to this ale. The taste was great as usual another great one from Unibroue not to harsh just right. The alc/vol is a 9 so I couldnt put alot of these away all night but if you can be my guest.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served out of a snifter:

Eye: Not so grand in terms of head formation and retention as its brother La Fin Du Monde or Duvel. However, it still looks pretty damn good. Color is a cloudy yellow/orangish tangerine. Head is egg white with excellent retention, but it isn't quite as large as a Duvel head, still good though. The head here also looks very creamy.

Nose: Pretty complex but weak aroma in my opinion. Not typical of the style-that is calling Duvel typical. There isn't any of that Duvelishness about it. I get a yeasty and bread like aroma with hints of spiciness. Pretty unique aroma from this type of brew. As I go to take a sip it dawns on me that there is an apple aroma.

Tongue: There are some interesting flavors here. The first I notice is an apple flavor that is foreshadowed by the nose as I lift the glass to my lips. After the apple the next easiest characteristics to pick out are a spicy and citrus like flavor possibly from hops or phenols. Also some notes of the classic Duvel type flavors (wish that I could describe them more but this will have to suffice). Little bit of alcohol is detectable. Overall pretty complex and interesting brew...unique.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: The body of this brew is medium-light bodied with higher levels of carbonation and an almost wine like alcohol perception. Finishes slightly dry on the tongue. This is a brew I'll definitely drink again, though I think that for the style I'd have to say that Duvel or La Fin Du Monde is a better represention, however, this beer is on target. If you're looking for something a bit more unique then here it is. Overall a great brew, I'm sure I'll be back to this one at some point, however there are just too many more to try.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

12oz bottle served in a snifter
This one pours a beautiful orange gold with a sticky white head comprised of minuscule bubbles with the odd yeast chunk or two floating around. The smell here is ripe summer fruit some light biscuit malt and a touch of spice, yeast and alcohol. The taste is pretty amazing sharp citrus and apricot balanced with steady peppery spice and a very light smooth hoppiness. Underlying honey, toffee and biscuits fill in the malt side of things while the yeast provides a clove/banana backing to round the whole thing out. Mouthfeel is also very good this medium to light bodied, highly carbonated beer dances around the mouth leaving a drying sensation with a lingering peppery bite that is very satisfying. The 9% abv remains expertly hidden in here making this a dangerously drinkable beer one that it will be hard to grow tired of.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

The beer pours a hazy amber with two fingers of beige head which collapses to nothing. The aroma is very yeasty with apricot-like citrus flavors and a hint of grassyness. The flavor follows the nose and includes a good balance of alcohol heat. Mouthfeel had a nice prickly carbonation. The lightness works well with the delicate flavor, although it may accentuate the alcohol. A very geed beer.

Poured into a chalice pours a mango color with a fluffy head that does not hang around long but does have a ring that stays the entire drink. Smell is pears, a bit of earth and also a bit of straw and hay with hints of alcohol in the nose as well. Taste is a bit tart at first with a hint of banana finish also some clove and just a tad bit of pepper, lots of carbonation. This was a fine offering and for it being 9% alcohol this went down really smooth and enjoyable, another fine crafted brew from Unibroue.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

After reading the rave reviews of this beer and looking for a nice summer sipper, I had to pick it up. I'm sure glad that I did. A friend and I shared a bomber and were not dissapointed one bit.

A- A cloudy, light lemon color, thin foamy head- no lacing.

S- Lemon, orange zest, spices, sweet scent.

T- Tons of citrus flavors- lemon, pineapple, oranges, graperfruit, even some apple- a true experience in flavors and tastes- very spicy aftertaste.

M- Mouthfeel was extremely smooth and enjoyable- because of the carbonation, it had a tingly sensation on the throat and tongue.

D- Wow, can I have another? This was one of the more enjoyable experiences I have had this summer- As drinkable as it gets, even with the high ABV- scary actually.

This is a masterpeice of a beer- my first offering from unibroue and it will not be my last.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

I just reviewed the Deschutes 19th Anniversary Belgian Style Golden Ale. That one was hard to really put in the style of BSPA for me. This beer on the other hand is a perfect representation of that style. As a easily accessible bottle from Unibroue, lots of props.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange color with a creamy white head and loads of lacing.

Smell: This is simple and yet elegant with a orange lemon and honey aroma.

Taste: Sweet and smooth with fruits and honey and Belgian Yeast. Again simple but elegant with a very approachable balance from to top bottom. It has a toasted bread attribute and a crisp dry finish. Magnificent.

Mouthfeel: Medium and malty smooth with an alcohol presence on the cheeks but a surprisingly gentle touch for 9% ABV.

Drinkability: Right on for the style. I can enjoy one 750 while falling asleep after a late dinner. Nice.

Hope this is helpful.