Don De Dieu - Unibroue

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-06-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Don De Dieu Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,265 | Hads: 2,696
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Smooth, creamy, billowing ivory head on a hazy golden body.

Aroma is laden with yeast esters of peach skin and tangerine, with clove and spicy hop character adding contrast.

Flavor reveals tart peach and green apple underlying a buttery toffee, sweet, lightly toasted malt backbone. Hints of banana and clove offer complexity.

Great complexity, excellent fruity notes. It's a bit boozy, but tasty. A Belgian pale the way a Belgian brewery would make one. Nice departure from the Americanized versions of the style.

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Cloudy, but bright golden ale. Very little carbonation, think wispy head, no lacing. In the nose are yeasts, florals, citrus. The back notes are much sweeter than the front.

Very pleasant taste. Clean, flavorful. There's a honey-wheat quality to the brew, spiced with just the right amount of yeast, hops, and heat from the 9% ABV. Finishing clean on the palate. Would go very well with cheese and fruit plates, poultry or pasta.

This is hard to find in my neck of the woods; BevMo and Total Wines usually don't carry this Unibroue offering. Thanks, Whole Foods - I'll be back!

4.5/5  rDev +9%

12/19/13 From bottle at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Now this is a beer. Mid-December cold as a... outside but this cool, low alcohol beverage hits the spot. Welcoming spiciness greet me on the nose & tongue. The familiar yeasty aroma of Unibroue adds to this homecoming. I don't know whoever made this, but they know me & I thank you one and all. XXOO

4.75/5  rDev +15%

It's hard to describe this, but it is a unique Belgian ale with a sweet coriander malt richness, smells great tastes great, So for all the ales from Uniboue are excellent. I'm seeking out there other offereings as well to try them out.

Best beer in North America and up there with the Belgian greats like Tripel Karmeliet. Though La Fin du Monde gets all the attention from Unibroue, Donde is somehow better.

I've never seen Donde on tap anywhere (why not???) so from a bottle it must be served. Smell is a complex aroma of fine yeast, dark fruit and sweet malt. Pours like a weiss beer with little head and lacing. The appearance is a deep, golden bronze that's a bit cloudy, almost like a German Weizenbock. And to that end, I think this one should really be classified as a Weizenbock as it's looks and tastes like a really intense weissbier. The bottle says it's triple wheat and I believe them. Taste is a bright explosion of fruit, clove and a sweet caramel. Finish is smooth as water off a duck's ass. Alcohol is well hidden as it's 9% and there's not much tang from the fermentation. Begs to be savoured and enjoyed slowly. This is a celebration beer and a good alternative to any wine you my enjoy.

Unibroue is so far ahead of its North American competition, it's painful for their challengers. While the competition continue toil away in their basements with their poor experiments they call beer (Victory Golden Monkey, anyone?), Unibroue continue weave golden wheat into bottles to create magic.

3.96/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a hazy orange marmalade color, with a snow white, two-finger head of perfectly even foam. Spotty lacing.

S - Moderate strength aroma of Belgian yeasts, clove, and juicy fruits (apple, pear, tangerine)

T - Taste matches the nose. Very fruity, and spicy. Esters of banana, coriander, clove, pear, honey, and green apple. Hint of Belgian yeast funk/barnyard throughout, and add just a hint of sourness. Very, very good.

M - Medium/full body, with spritzy, champagne-like carbonation. Carbonation makes it seem lighter.

O - An extremely well done Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Everything just comes together well. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

3.33/5  rDev -19.4%

Very smooth, sweet, doesn't taste very beer like. It's pretty good but its just not my type of beer. As you drink more it gets better, but I guess all alcohol's like that. Reminds me of wine so don't buy it if you're not into that sort of thing. C

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I love Unibroue beers, every single one of them has left me satisfied. That said, this bottle says triple wheat on the bottle, so I think it is a wheatwine, and it tastes like it if I may. BA says belgian strong pale, but W/E.

Pours a dark yellow, not quite orange, but rather a bold light gold. Aggressive pour yields a 2 finger white head that falls quite fast and leaves a ring and spotty lacing. After 5 minutes there are no bubbles. 3.75

Smell is very fruity and spicy. I smell stuff like coriander, clove, maybe a dash of cinnamon. Also, a strong fruit character, as in concentrated flavor. Its of light fruit, like pears and banana and pineapple, but I guess I could say dried fruit since it is rather decadent than floral.

Taste is the same as the smell with a deep fruity, yeasty flavor that is light yet intense, wheatwine at it's finest. Alot of sweetness going on, and also spices. This beer tastes damn good, I could drink alot of this.

Feel is semi-light, with medium carb. Very nice.

Overall I like this beer as a wheatwine, and I guess also as a Belgian pale. Its rather sweet with spice tones that make it unique. Buy this if you like lighter beers but are not afraid to try one at 9%

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

There is something special about the Unibroue ales/beers.This one is no exception to the greatness from this Canadian brewery.I wont go through the normal smell taste and what not.Its what a Belgian should be.Bold,Spicy and leaves you satisfied.Just be careful the alcohol is well hidden.Cheers.

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%

A- it pours a murky golden color with a coarse white head that fades fast. Runny lacing

S- Caramel, cinnamon, coriander, alcohol, dried pineapple, and a touch of clove.

T- caramel is the first flavor that comes through. Sweet dried fruits follow and eventually a dry funky yeast flavor with a touch of clove.

M- Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation.

O- pretty good. Another solid beer from Unibroue.

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Smuggled out of Quebec thanks to A.T., we sampled Unibroue's Don De Dieu ("DDD") in a corked and caged 750 ml bottle with a production date of November 23, 2011 printed on the neck. DDD is billed by Unibroue as a Triple Wheat Ale, and is 9.0% alcohol by volume. Unibroue has produced this beer since 1998.

DDD poured a lightly cloudy orange/golden colour that took on more of a peach hue when held up to the light. Pouring produced a 2" bubbly white head that receded fairly quickly and left no spotting or lacing down the glass. Despite the cloudiness of the beer, a steady stream of fine bubbles was visible. The beer's aroma was nothing short of wonderful...a big aroma of cloves, with banana, apricot and yeast evident. I think I spent more time smelling this beer than drinking it. The taste began with cloves and banana, giving way to the apricot and yeast, finishing with a modestly sour note which lingered for a few seconds as an aftertaste. As the beer warmed, the apricot aroma grew stronger, and an alcohol aroma became noticeable...not surprising at 9.0% ABV. Warming also enhanced the taste, with the apricot again becoming stronger, and orange, plus a warming alcohol taste emerging. The further down the glass I drank, the better this beer became. DDD had a lively carbonation that contributed to a crisp mouthfeel, and I would describe the beer as light to medium bodied.

The verdict...brilliant stuff from the folks at Unibroue. My only complaints would be the relatively poor head retention, and DDD's $9.99 per bottle price tag which cost it a couple of points on the 'value for money' factor. This definitely goes onto my 'special treat' list, and becomes a must buy when in Montreal.

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%

A decent offering! I served it in a tall glass. It has a thick white head that sits there for a few minutes. The taste is great! Making this 9% ABV is amazing because you can't even taste the alcohol. That deserves respect.

There is a lot of carbonation in this beer. On a burp I got a taste of chestnuts, that was unexpected. I enjoyed this beer and want another, unfortunately I only had one. :(

This is a very drinkable beer.

3.76/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12-oz bottle into Belgian ale glass

A - large white head over a murky golden body with a moderate amount of visible carbonation, no lace

S - wheat, Belgian yeast (with notes of clove and banana), tropical fruits, light sweetness

T - wheat, tropical fruits, peppery spice, honey sweetness; yeast, spice, and alcohol linger for a dry finish

M - smooth medium/full body, high carbonation

O - very good for a Belgian ale; complex and enjoyable

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Something unexpected. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Belgian beer chalice.

The heavy carbonation left some heavy white lacings and bit of a foamy head. Not what you want from a Belgian, and not what I expect from Canadia's best brewery. Colour is golden with an orange hue.

However, wow. The carbonation might have seemed like a drawback at first. After the third sip, it starts to take on the feel of an Italian sparkling water. Very smooth, but light enough to delight the senses.

Taste, as mentioned, was unexpected. My goodness, the aftertaste of raw honey was quite noticeable. Not overly sweet, but just flavourful enough that I had to remind myself to slow down. After all, no matter how drinkable, it is a nine-pointer on the ABV level.

I can only imagine how good this would be if aged.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a highly carbonated golden ale with a an inch of head. This has faded to a whisp of white lace.

Subtle spice and fruit esters in the nose. Some Belgian yeast and phenols present but not overdone.

The first sip is delightful. Beautiful balance of malt and spice. Honey-like characters and a medium mouthfeel that is silky and at the same time chewy enough to keep you interested. It finishes dry as most the breweries beers do. More fruity esters and Belgian spice characters least on the tongue.

Truly a delight to drink. I really enjoy what Unibroue has to offer and need to visit their beers more often

3.44/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured about ~50 into a weissen glass

A - Very effervescent right off the pour (about a half-hour later, though, I find it rather flat -a flash in the pan for carbonation). Medium cloudiness, gold color. Light colored head with medium to coarse foam. Not all that sticky.

S - Lemongrass, no detectable heat from alcohol. Not a lot offered on the nose, though.

T - Wheat malts present, with some buttery and caramel notes. Has a sour quality, and the alcohol is well disguised.

M - At first, the carbonation was crazy, almost too much. But that burned off pretty quick and now that the beer is drinking flat, I'm nostalgic for the time when it was very fizzy. I feel like the carbonation helped to balance out a sort of flabbiness that I'm feeling now. It's medium bodied, but not super well integrated.

Overall, I'm disappointed. I'm certainly not aided by the fact that my last beer was a La Fin Du Monde. Don De Dieu is still above average, but with so many amazing Belgian-style beers out there, this one struggles to hold up in my opinion.

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium goblet. Two finger white head, reduces to very thick clinging lacing. Lovely unfiltered deep amber color. Aroma is something I have never encountered before, herbal, yeasty, unfamiliar to me, wierd and not entirely pleasant. Flavor is a bit sour, yeasty, herbal, not fruity. I have to say here that I have not learned to appreciate wheat ales, and I don't really care for this one. Mouthfeel is medium thick, not overly carbonated. Overall I have to say that I don't care for this style of ale, and do not plan on trying it again soon. You will get more helpful reviews from those who understand and appreciate yeasty wheat ales.

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a copper/yellow hue with a very healthy white foam head. Has a sweet wheat and yeast aroma, along with some hints of fruit. Taste is sweet wheat and yeast, with some apple and honey, and then a touch of bitterness in the finish. Has a full body feel as well as a little bit of carbonation. This is most definitely a "Gift of God," and is one of my favorites from Unibroue.

3.94/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Deep golden amber. The head is a thin off-white cap.

Lots of wheat maltiness with notes of bread, spice, banana, orange, apricot, clove, bubblegum, and candi sugar. A touch of honey sweetness riding alongside a flamboyant yeast element. Cake-y nose with a lot of natural esters.

Supple fruit flavors. Estery yeast offers up orange peel, treacle, wheat bread, coriander, banana, clove, and stone fruits. More of that bubblegum/tutti frutti note. Malts are rich; honeyed, cake-y, and with both wheat and barley. Some bitterness in the middle that finishes fairly clean. Sweeter in the end with some musty and nutty aftertaste.

Medium-full body. Has a great effervescence. Very good feel.

Don de Dieu is a nice strong golden ale. Familiar Unibroue yeast flavors.

4.21/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Got a 25 ounce corked bottle with a best by date of 08/15/15 so I think it's reasonably fresh.

Appearance - I poured it into a tulip and it gave a nice, bubbly white head. It settled down to about one finger around the rim. The color of the body was a deep golden-light orange hue.

Smell - I get a winey, almost grape like smell pitted against coriander. It smells to me like a wine like trippel. I also get orange peels maybe.

Taste - Citrus/coriander is pretty dominant with a peculiar aftertaste I can't quite put my finger on.

Mouthfeel - A little bite with the carbonation, very nice.

Overall - A nice beer, basically to me it's a Trippel crossed with a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Quite enjoyable and refreshing. I like it a bit more than Duvel and Local 1.

4.49/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Pours an amber gold with three fingers of fluffy white head.

Smell - Standard Unibroue yeast (banana, clove, peppery spice), spicy hops, biscuity malt.

Taste - Spicy hops, spicy & peppery Belgian yeast with banana and clove accents. Touch of biscuity malts and fruity esters. ABV is well hidden.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, medium bodied with a moderate/high level of carbonation.

Overall - A well-crafted Belgian Strong Pale Ale by Unibroue. Excellent spicy flavours coming from the hops and yeast. Doesn't drink like a 9%. Unibroue always knows how to deliver a great Belgian brew.

4.31/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A-Hazy gold color with a big white head that lingered for a while and left some lace
S-wheat, malt spices, and pears
T-Wheat, and malt with a spice and hop bitterness that fades to a very spice finish
M-medium body and medium carbonation
O-outstanding beer, with plenty of aroma and taste.

4.91/5  rDev +18.9%

Wonderful beer.
Have tried everything from Unibroue, and this is my favorite beer so far.
It has a beautiful pour; however, the head was quick to dissipate.
Full body, flavor is similar to other unibroue beer but greater presence of wheat.
Smell is sweet, but again similar to other unibroue beers.
Served in a tulip glass this is an attractive beer.
Only wish they sold 750ml in Victoria.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Not completely sure why it took me so long to get to sampling this unibroue standard, but here we are now. Poured into Duvel tulip...attractively, I might add. Big buy not huge white head that settles out rather quickly with minimal lacing. Beautiful golden body, slightly cloudy.
Best before 8-15-15. That's a year and 1/2 away, so reasonably fresh I'd say.
Definitely with that sweet/sour unibroue yeast that I haven't whiffed in a long time, but is quite familiar, if I don't say. Mild malt and decent spiciness.
The nucleation on bottom of glass sends up a nice stream of bubbles through the middle of the drink.
Nice, but not quite a bold or sweet as some others. A little more subdued but pleasant nonetheless. Well blending with less distinct flavors. Took a couple of drinks before the drying really kicked in, but nearly astringent in the finish and leaving me wanting to clean my teeth. Smooth malt flavors with a smooth alcohol flavor starts the drink - with hints of perfume and some nice fruit flavors in time. The sweet/sour (more on later) yeast flavors follow before the big kick drying finish. Yummy.
Full soft carbonation lend a very soft feel, but a gassy after effect.
This is really good and really enjoyable.

4.11/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Unibroue's "wheat triple". Knowing/remembering only that this ale was of triple strength (having last had it likely over 7-8 years ago), I came away with these observations:

The clarity of the liquid was a bit cloudier than their La Fin Du Monde, leading me to wonder whether the grain bill included an increased or majority portion of wheat, which it in fact does. One is able to taste it as well in the mildly doughy, vaguely cookie-ish malt profile. This doesn't drink with quite as light a body as the La Fin...

Flavor-wise, typical Unibroue profile of coriander and spicy yeast, perhaps mellowed through the balance of the wheat. Very satisfying flavor, if not as vibrantly fruity as La Fin or Eau Benite.

The foam stand on this, if fortunately-poured, is absolutely fantastic as well - tall, dense, steadfast, and curvy. I was able to induce what looked to me like a belly button atop the head (a co-worker said with a shrug that she was once complimented on pulling off the feat).

Nice to re-discover this and I'm looking forward to being able to pair it with some cheeses and sausages in the near future.

Don De Dieu from Unibroue