2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Unibroue 11 - Unibroue

Unibroue 11Unibroue 11

Unibroue visit their website
Quebec, Canada

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  11.00% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-01-2002)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Unibroue 11 Alström Bros
Ratings: 168 | Reviews: 154 | Show All Ratings:
Sixpack595

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Hazy orange capped by a thick, fine grained head of white. Spicy aroma is fruity and malty. Taste is perfect. Orange, lemon, clove and bannana are all evident. Malty flavors, especially wheat, also make an appearance before a honey flavor sneaks in at the end. Hopped perfectly to balance the sweetness. Mouthfeel is another triumph, beefy, but not at all syrupy. Carbonation adds to the crisp feeling of the beer. I could drink this all night, or at least till the 11% ended the night for me. Theres worse ways to end the night. A truely amazing brew.

01-02-2004 10:47:17 | More by Sixpack595
francisweizen

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

Notes: 750ml corked and caged bottle - cellared for several months, and aged for a little more than a year...

How good can Unibroue 11 be? Well ,1 better than the 10 obviously! This beer was very similar to Unibroues 10 but it had more of a 'punch' to it. This beer poured a lovely golden colour with a huge, frothy, white head. The aromas were wonderful and all over the place. The aromas consisted of various citrus fruits, yeast, candy sugar, hops, spicy alcohol and malts. The taste was more of the same. The alcohol was very well-hidden in the flavor and the other flavors all teamed-up to make one hell of a fine Belgian style strong pale ale! This is quite different to the 10 but yet quite similar in a certain way. The mouthfeel is exceptionally soft and smooth and the drinkability is wonderful as well!

This and the '10' both rock and they are both excellent examples of this style of beer.

whoever thinks that the best Belgian style beers come from Belgium, have obviously never tried all of the beers in Unibroues wonderful line.

This beer just cements the fact that Unibroue is one of my favorite breweries in the world!

Cheers to Hyuga for the sample!
-F

05-05-2003 16:28:15 | More by francisweizen
daledeee

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

I hear this is a limited edition. I hope not. This is good stuff. Comes in 750ml nice gold lettered bottle. Pours a nice medium head that dissapates and leaves a good lace. Nose is fruity. Flavor is alot like a Belgian-style. Good carbonated bite, hops, malt and fruit. Tastes kind of like a tripel.

You would never know this has 11% ABV. But they proudly prounounce it on the label. The alchohol is not up front. I drank this pretty warm and still did not mind the alchohol content. $5.99 a bottle is a bargain for this kind of treat.

Update: 11-08-03 Drinking a bottle that has been aged for 6 months. Tart apple all over the place. Coats the tongue with flavor that lasts. Even better than the first time I drank this!! Rivals the best Belgians!!

07-01-2003 15:49:21 | More by daledeee
Wildman

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer poured a dark gold color and formed a small bubbly white head that left leaving circular lace. Some carbonation was present. An aroma of malt, yeast/bread and citrus. A flavor of malt and cirtus with a touch of spice. A slight warming effect of the alcohol present. Another fine product from this brewer.

02-22-2003 17:41:54 | More by Wildman
granger10

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

A truly amazing brew. The people at Unibroue know their stuff. The price was ridiculous and left me wanting to buy the rest of their stock of 11. The more I drink the more flavors I find. Extremely complex in a very good way. Citrusy flavors begin to run my palate with the spices following shortly. Hop bitterness comes next to even things out. Further along the bottle I notice a malty bread sweetness that leaves the finish sweet and dry. To be honest I don't really even taste the alcohol too much and I feel like I could drink this stuff all night!

07-04-2003 05:30:02 | More by granger10
DarrellK

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

This blonde ale is very high gravity but it does not overpower the palate. It has a high quality mouth and slightly fruity finish that very Belgian, much like a nice Leffe Blonde. Not a Bud drinkers brew, but one for the most seriuos enthusiast. In my top 5 beers.

09-03-2003 15:02:45 | More by DarrellK
Mitchster

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours out to a slightly hazy, pale honey-colored golden elixir, forming a large white head atop fine bubbles. This quickly thins, forming delicate sheets of Belgian lace which remind me of Corinthian architecture. Carbonation is moderate, less so than most Unibroue's ales. Aroma is delicious and trademark Unibroue...crisp wheat malts, cloves, a hint of bananas, lots of fruity esters...apples, pineapple, a hint of lemon zest and rubber balloons...this smell brings back pleasant memories of my stay in Montreal, when I drank Unibroue products for the whole week and waded through feet of snow to explore the city. Mouthfeel is bright and zings upon the tongue. The body is surprisingly dense...don't let the modest color fool you. Taste begins with a surge of flowers and spice...lots of complexities zip upon the tongue..there is the clove and bananas, but in a barleywine intensity. Ginger penetrates the nose and tickles the throat. The alcohol is restrained in taste, but immediately alerts you to it's presence with the toasty warm sensation down the esophagus. There is a delicate residual sweetness that seems to last forever that begins early on, and is balanced by a wheaty toastiness. There is bready yeast character in the finish, which is only very lightly dry and has a slick feeling in the mouth. The bitterness is very mild and serves to balance the complexities of the ferment. As it warms, it unfolds and reveals layers of depth. My mouth is rippling long after I drink it.

This is a perfect beer for a cold fall night when you can smell the newly fallen leaves after a day's long rain. This is wonderful stuff, meant to be savored and sipped. This is the best strong Belgian-style pale ale I've had, and certainly the best Unibroue I've had to date. Do pick up a bottle of this if you have a chance. A shit-eating grin erupts across my face..."C'est une bonne vie!"

09-22-2003 22:07:15 | More by Mitchster
FormatKid

Tennessee

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

I picked up this 750ml bottle at Bacchus in Chattanooga. Held on to this one the longest out of all the beer I picked up there. Bottled on date of January 2003 making this a bit older than a year.

Pours into the goblet a hazy vision similar to mango juice. A lively, fizzy head rolls up a good three fingers high but recedes rather quickly to a thin lingering layer. Ultra fine carbonation bubbles sizzle quickly to the top.

Smell is sweet and delicate. Through the signature Unibroue yeast smell I can detect hints of tropical fruit (mango?). I detect the essence of pears and fresh pepper as well. Alcohol is on the nose and it bites at me.

Taste is amazing. Starts off with a peppery zing, which follows into a tart, sweet, fruity explosion. Sweet oranges, pears, and bitter apples are all apparent to me. That sweet, musty yeast flavor creeps about the edges of my tongue. A beautifully delicate apple aftertaste is left in my mouth. Mouthfeel is light and zippy, it dances playfully across my pallate. Alcohol is somewhat noticable, but not what I'd expect from something with an 11% ABV. Even though the alcohol is not that evident in the taste, I can almost instantly feel the warmth trail down my throat and spread across my belly.

This beer really does it for me. I can only hope there's some left next time I head up to Chatt because I'd really love to see what this would taste like in another year or so.

04-17-2004 02:56:00 | More by FormatKid
mophie

Delaware

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Wow. What a terrific beer, and one I was very much in the mood for tonight. It's quite pale in color, moreso that I would have thought given some other reviews. Head is white and fluffy and billowy, not unlike Duvel, though I wouldn't compare these beers beyond that. The aroma is lemony, bready, minty, peppery, intoxicating. Wow.

The taste: I'm not sure the Belgians can brew a better tasting Belgian beer. This is outstanding. Full bready flavor, typical of Belgian strong pale ales, with severe hits of tropical fruit (guava, passion fruit), orange zest, and pepper in a creamy sauce of intoxication (yes, one bottle will do, thank you). I absolutely love it.

01-22-2003 17:42:27 | More by mophie
marburg

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Reader's digest version: Holy shit, this is good!

Actual review:

Pours a nice hazy orange-ish maize, something of a muted pumpkin color. Beautiful head with amazing retention. The lace on this thing is like a prostitute's lingerie -- thin and fleeting. In all seriousness, it forms a perfect lace that runs down the side of the glass quickly.

Aromas of orange, zest of lemon, and some exotic fruits. A very zesty, almost weizen-like taste up front with a sweet, alcoholic, candi sugar finish that's remarkably clean and crisp.

This beer goes down like your average dubbel. The 11% is masked behind so many great flavors that it's truly exceptionally drinkable.

04-24-2003 17:28:17 | More by marburg
LarryV

4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

Delicious!! Poured with a huge fluffy white head. Subtle fruity notes waft up to the nose, banana, citrus. Smooth and tasty with a rich, creamy mouthfeel. A light spiciness hits the tongue, the warming alchohol follows. One of the best brews I've ever had. Yet another reason why Unibroue is my favorite brewery.

02-02-2003 09:19:43 | More by LarryV
Morris729

4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

Pours a somewhat hazy light golden amber color with a tall pillowy white head that coats the walls of the glass with sheets of lace as it slowly dissipates. Nose is sweet and fruity with notes of fresh mint and spicy alcohol. Ultra smooth with tastes of sweet bready malts up front with a bit of a tiramisu flavor. Sweet dark fruits and spicy clove are present in the middle with some drying alcohol coming through in the finish. A tremendous brew. I really loved the 10, but this is even better.

04-15-2003 15:41:26 | More by Morris729
WVbeergeek

4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

Wow!!! What an amazing representation of a Belgium strong ale, our friends located in Chambly are truly gifted brewers who have put their own twist on so many classic belgium style beers. However from my experience with Unibroue so far this beer is the pinnacle of greatness from their repertoire. The mixture of spices, malt, and gentle touch of hops blend so well together to create one unique drinking experience to be had by all beer lovers. Appears a true golden yellow vibrant tone with a white full head of creamy foam, but I must say not much lace going on here. Aroma is full sweet malty with a touch of slightly floral hops, and very aromatic mixture of spices from Unibroue. Also I must note the alcohol phenols coming through with some nice apple cider like tones. The taste is a sweet strong ale with an array of alochol on the tongue balanced by sweet buttery notes of apple, raisiny goodness. One must note the extraordinary texture that this medium to full bodied beer eminates through the palate are the buttery silky textures felt with each sip for a smooth finish. The drinkability of a beer like this is amazing because once you finish off a 750 ml bottle of this you can' t help but yearn fo another. An all time favorite of mine that is a down right classic and is well deserving of it's spot on the top 50 rated this beers produces. If only it wasn't 11% abv.

06-03-2003 14:47:30 | More by WVbeergeek
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

I found a companion for my only other sample of this just last night. Thanks to the IN BAs for providing me with the whereabouts of this one.

Bottle date of 10-10-2002. Score! As much as I have looked forward to trying this, I just hope that the cork has held up. The pop was light, but it allayed all my fears. I poured this into a tulip. It has an inch, maybe more, of head. It is a very light golden yellow. The second and last pour creates two inches of foam.

The nose is complex. A fruity smell from the yeast is followed by lime and orange. The taste begins with lime and orange in the front. These give way to sweeter apples and even cherries. For as light as the color is, I sure do taste some dark malt flavors in this one.

The mouthfeel is thick, and coating does not seem the proper term. I would say cloying, except I am enjoying every aspect of this beer, including its cloying mouthfeel. Drinkability is good. I am slogging through the bottle in no time.

Unibroue is one of the finest breweries in the world. Their special releases are meant to be aged, and this specimen gives me hope for the many of their beers that I am storing.

08-22-2005 07:44:43 | More by Sephiroth
bewareOFpenguin

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Every thing I look for in a beer and more. The color and carbonation are perfect. Just the perfect blend of hops. The high ABV can barely be noticed. It goes down smooth, no bad aftertaste. Terrific. Perfect. Did I say I liked it?

12-24-2002 08:17:14 | More by bewareOFpenguin
JohnnyDuvel

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just gave in to impulse and drank my second (and last) 11. Heaven in a bottle. I will have to (if I have the opportunity), have a taste-test with Duvel, Westmalle triple, and 11 to determine the best beer I've ever had. As good as La Fin or Don, with more boot in the ars. 11%, but I don't taste it. I sure do feel it! Huge head, golden hue. Fruity, yeasty flavor, as addictive as Duvel. Nothing bad to say, except I can't get it easily! Long live Unibroue.

04-03-2003 22:50:17 | More by JohnnyDuvel
kindestcut

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Now, this is a great beer! The first time I had a Unibroue 11, I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew the ABV was high but I wasn't expecting such strong flavor. I loved it so much I bought a couple of bottles to keep. However, it's so hard to have a great beer sitting around like that. And so I decided to crack open one of my 11's I have in storage to write a review.

The Unibroue 11 pours a cloudy yellow with a massive white, fluffy head. The head leaves a nice lace on the glass as it retreats.

The aroma is very complex...spicy, with a hints of yeast, citrus and pepper. The alcohol is well-hidden. I can tell this is going to be a dangerous beer.

The taste is just wonderful and complex. The unmistakable taste of cloves identifies this beer as a tripel to me, alhough it's labeled as a "artisanal strong pale ale" here. The taste is smooth, the alcohol is eveident but just enough to draw you in. It would be so easy to drink too much of this beer too fast.

The Unibroue 11 is jusy delicious. I'm going to have tobuy a few more bottles and see how this ages. But then again, I don't see how it could get much better.

06-19-2003 13:03:57 | More by kindestcut
purplehops

Maine

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Unibroue 11 pours a deep yellow with a white frothy head. The head has staying power and leaves a nice lace pattern on the glass. Effervescent bubble trails continuously rise to the surface. The aroma is floral, citrus, and fruity all at once.Your nostrals are refreshed and cleared by the complexity and blend of the aromas. The taste is clean crisp malt up front with effervescent notes of citrus and subtle hints of green figs. The finish is smooth with pale malt flavors blending with what appears to be biscuit malt flavors. The aftertaste is citrus and fruit with alcohol making a grand entrance. A nice complexity of flavors that keep you coming back for more. The mouth feel is warm and inviting with just enough chew to make you smack your lips (over and over again). Overall a great example of a Belgian style ale. Sort of a cross between a pale triple and a wit beer. The third sip goes straight to your head and then you know what the 11 stands for. Unibroue 11 has officially made my top 50 list.

12-24-2002 13:15:42 | More by purplehops
faernt

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

This sample is a 750ml at 55 degrees F. It looks like a blonde trippel with a slight haze. It has a fine bubble head that is rocky on its surface. It's not a mountainous head but its top is pleasantly irregular and lasting. The lace is irregular and sticky looking.
The aroma isn't strong. It reveals itself just as I begin to drink and then smell and taste start to dance. It begins sweet and I think "too much" but as I notice sweet it changes to grapefruit. As I wait for the residual tastes the beer dries on my tongue. It's as if my tongue puckers but not my lips. This is a mysterious beer! The strange thing is that I detect a little wateriness. It's coming from the excess saliva generated by the tartness. Am I internally watering down this beer?
Mouthfeel...what I said .... a lot is going on in here. It's mostly good except for the involuntary wateriness. So much is going on. I have to like it. I enjoy change and this beer continues to change. It was brewed on 10.10.02 so it's not too young and it seems to be getting used to itself. I will save several to age to see what all this beguiling flavor turns into.
It is drinkable. I see no reason to change beers (and I am fickle) for the rest of the night. It is very provocative. Aces.

02.07.08

I've been drinking my way back from Unibroue 15 to 2005 then 2004, then Terrible, and now to 11. I wasn't a fan of 16, but after this retrospective, I think I'll go back for some and put it in the rotation. All the bottles I've tasted have been quite good. The 15 was a HUGE eruption of foam that blew about 1/3 of the bottle, but it tasted very good.This bottle was
originally brewed on March 3,2003.It's lived in my cellar with the others and 10 as well.

It opened with a reasonable pop. When poured into a chalice, it produced a decent head that shortly subsided to a skim then, now a slight ring. It is honey gold. It smells slightly musty and tastes substantially sweet. The must kicks in with the sweetness during the second taste. I think there is a lttle cork taste here. I remember corky old beers from the mid nineties, before the beer flowed freely from Belgium into the US. I liked the mustiness then and still find it enjoyable. I've heard it called a defect of age, but I find it compatible with many big tasting Belgians (dubbel and trippel)

This one is a trippel to me. I'm in the middle of the bottle now and am picking up slight tartness. It's drinking at 55 degrees now and the flavors are open.

I realize that there isn't much 11 around anymore, but it's very good. I don't know what the plans are to follow 16 and haven't seen anything new from Unibroue in this series. I don't think that all has been played here. particularly due to the delightfully changing profile of what I've tasted in the past week. Sleeman... please allow the artisans to continue.

Thank you for making this beer.

07-25-2003 01:48:45 | More by faernt
beergeek279

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Served in a 750 mL bottle. The color was golden, with a good head. The smell was very sweet. The taste was of apple sweetness...tasted almost like a cider, except for the very well-hidden 11% ABV. Mouthfeel was very smooth. As for drinkability, this was an awesome beer that I could have several more of!

Wow! I thought that the Fin du Monde was my favorite Unibroue, but I definitely stand corrected. This is simply an amazing beer, that completely hides its alcohol content, and has definitely bumped up to my favorite Unibroue, and may well be the best Belgian-style produced in North America.

08-20-2003 18:49:09 | More by beergeek279
SamuraiJack

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

With each beer from Unibroue I taste I become more convinced that this is one of the top 10 breweries in the entire world. I have yet to have had a beer from them that has not impressed me in some way or another. With the Unibroue 11, I feel that the brewery has elevated themselves into serious consideration for the title of single best brewery. It's that good.

Initial pour shows some serious carbonation, creating a very active beer whose pour results in a massive white head. I would guess that it would subside to a sticky lace, but I simply didn't have the patience to wait that long. The beer itself is a beautiful orange-gold with a very slight hazing (chill? yeast? wheat?). A seriously attractive brew!! I started drooling just looking at it. Aromas are strong, with some tropical fruit notes on top of the appetizing honey-malt bread smells (like a fresh baguette with honey but no butter). There are citric and herb hints and a tiny whisper of alcohol present as well. No off notes in the nose at all. Perhaps it was the smell that made me lose my mind and drink before the head settled!!

The first taste is ambrosial - smooth, with the tropical fruit, and honeyed bread notes from the aroma continuing into the taste. The citric/herb notes are more dominant here than in the smell and serve well to tie together the fruits, malts and grains. The strength and complexity of the flavors, combined with the aggressive carbonation, does an excellent job of camoflaging the alcohol, though there is a "snap" and warmth in the finish that should clue you in to the sting in the tail of this beast of a beer. The flavor profile is weighted towards the middle of the palate and the taste, resulting in a beer that teases, explodes, and then tapers. Perfection in a bottle. The only reason that I wouldn't consider giving it a higher score for drinkability is the 11% ABV combined with the 750ml bottle. It's just never going to be a session beer for me (call me a lightweight if you want).

Anyone who thinks that there are no great (not good, but truly great) Belgian style beers from outside Belgium needs to try this beer. It's truly and authentically Belgian in style, and near to perfection in its execution. Lovely, seductive, intoxicating and oh so dangerous.

04-06-2003 13:30:17 | More by SamuraiJack
scottum

Vermont

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

A cute hazy yellow/orange amber with a nice white head. I can not believe this is an 11% Wow! Sooooooo smoooooooth! Fruity sweet with excelent balance. This is one of the best brews from Unibroue which is quite a feat. Yummy yummy yummy, I've got 11 in my tummy!

08-10-2003 00:10:19 | More by scottum
taez555

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

This beer poured a huge thick white head with a translucent orange/yellow body. The head took its time to die down.

The nose was nice and fruity. Yeast, apples, pears, fruit, a little bit of alcohol, phenols. There was a slight vegetable smell and even a touch of mint.

This beer had a serious amount of carbonation. Medium to full bodied. Very warming with a sharp alcohol quality. Beautifully fruity, yeast, wheat, earth, phenols, and a touch of wood. Apples, pears, spice. Sugary and a bit sweet. A slight medicinal taste. Warm from the get go. It basically tastes like a copy of duvel but kicked up a notch with alcohol and flavor.

Are their belgian monks living in Canada? This beer is hands down one the best Unibroue beers out there. At 11% in the 750ml it's best you share this beer, but a must try from a great brewery.

10-14-2003 05:58:32 | More by taez555
TripelJ

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Now Quaffing: Unibroue 11

This anniversary brew pours a hazy golden apricot with a minimal head that "fizzes" away quickly with no lacing. Aroma is sweet with some spices definitely present. Taste is uniquely Unibroue. Smooth, creamy, spicy, acidic sweetness and an abrupt turn for the bitter into a citrusy hop finish. Mouthfeel is full and the initial spiced sweet malts coat and cling to the whole mouth while the alcohol stealthfully plays a warming role, but remains very subtle in the taste. It has only taken half the bottle for me to fall in love, and alas, I know I may never see her again once the night is over, but if that proves to be true it will be a one night stand to remember. A very happy 11th anniversary to Unibroue!

09-24-2003 01:10:03 | More by TripelJ
HardTarget

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Aroma: Spicy yeast typical of Unibroue, but not as spicy as La Fin du Monde. Alcohol became more apparent as the beer warmed.
Appearance: Rich hazy orange with full carbonation at pour. As the beer sits, it starts to clear and become more of a golden color. White multi-sized thin head that gave minor lace but kept a constant carbonation flow going. Beer gushed in slow motion on opening, nothing major, but did flow out of the bottle before I could pour. Heck, it even laced the bottle!
Flavor: I’m not worthy. The yeast/spice in the nose takes the forefront, much like in most of the Unibroue line (Maudite, La Fin, etc.) There are some mild fruit notes, citric lemon/lime deep in the background. Malt? Hops? They are invisible to me. This is so perfectly balanced that only the spices and yeast tastes, with the slightest hint of alcohol come through.
Mouthfeel: Alcohol numbing is prevalent in this medium/heavy-bodied beer.
Overall Impression: Wow. This is a celebration of the art of brewing. Perfect balance. Heavy alcohol, but the taste is well hidden. Classic Unibroue spiciness. Clean pure taste. I’m on my second chalice about 45 minutes in, and I’m stupefied. The perfect Saturday afternoon mellow. Pair this with pungent cheese, fish, chicken, or all by it’s self. I grabbed a second bottle to age, actually, I grabbed a second bottle to taste, one’s been aging for a good 9 months now. If you haven’t experienced Unibroue, seek it out. Order online and pay shipping. Road trip to Canada and buy it. YOU MUST HAVE THIS BEER!!! Ahem, Strongly recommended.

12-20-2003 21:59:24 | More by HardTarget