Dogtown Pale Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-04-2001

3.74/5  rDev -0.5%

My boss is a budding craft beer guy, so I gave him a can of Daisy Cutter with the directions: this is quite probably my favorite beer that I can buy anytime-- let me know what you think.
I got a message a few hours later that he loved it. He was saddened that he couldn't run out and buy it (as we live 40 miles SW of Chicago), but he went to a local Binnys and asked what they had that was "most similar" to Daisy Cutter... He was lead to a 6 pack of this beer... And he brought one in for me the next day to try it.

This is quite a bit more bitter, abrasive, and prickly than I remember. This beer has a dry malt note up front-- like water crackers, with a piney, earthy, and lightly citrusy hop bill.
The flavor follows that nose and delivers an intense bitter punch on the finish. Dry malt, grassy and earthy hops notes in the middle, with lemony grapefruit hops at the finish. The lingering bitterness is filled with notes of pine.

This looks almost like a BMC lager.

The body is nice-- prickly and tongue-scrubbing feel with enough heft to the body to work, but not too much to be overdone. The carbonation level is a tad high, but in a way it adds to that prickly/fizzy sensation.

Overall-- not bad. I LOVE pale ales... so I look forward to drinking all of them that I can... This is not bad, but I'd like a little more balance and a bit more of a focused hop approach. I would rather just buy Lagunitas IPA instead of this one. Of course, I must add that this is nowhere near Daisy Cutter.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

Nice head, orange color, light and sweet smell. This one definitely poured well and the first taste was not as sweet as I expected it to be. It went down easily and, indeed, was very light and crisp in taste. Like most Lagunitas brews, I liked it and would have it again.

Dogtown Pale Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company