1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Maximus - Lagunitas Brewing Company

MaximusMaximus

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maximus Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,487 | Reviews: 1,347 | Show All Ratings:
tj4288

WOW. my first PERFECT 5 BEER. poured from bomber into a large tulip glass.

a-Pours a peach/ honey color (very pretty) slightly yellow head about two fingers. Recedes to a small cap but leaves decent lacing. Some visible carbonation. This peach color is amazing me. It's beautiful, I have never seen a beer with this color, and I even left the room to check it under different lightings! Very alive and inviting!
s- Piney hops up front followed by a light burnt caramel or molasses. Some grapefruity citrus notes as well. A very well rounded and very complex beer for the nose. WOW
t- slightly molasses and burnt caramel sweetness. More on the pine and citrus hop side. Fairly weak malt. This beer is amazing. The bitter bite is very enjoyable. Almost like a citrus skin. Grapefruit, slightly grassy and earthy. wow wow wow. very complex, very interesting. Too bad I only bought one 
m- not a "full body" but very close. slightly sticky feel. Carbonation is medium.
d- I always include price in drinkability and this bomber was fairly cheap. Will I but it again?> yes, tomorrow. goes down very easy, very enjoyable and very tasty. I have to admit I was very surprised. I did not expect this from this very plain, very boring labeled bottle. love it, buy it. if you like ipas at all this one is top notch. a great DIPA! cant wait to buy more.

07-19-2009 02:59:22 | More by tj4288
thebrood1987

This is hop juice. It smells like a tropical island. It reminds me of their Hop Stoopid ale except I was able to get this in a 6 pack. It smells like sweet tropical fruits citrus grapefruit. The taste is just as awesome. What a slick oily smooth mouthfeel with those tropical hops sweeping across the tongue to leave a dry bitterness on the back like an IPA should. The slick oily mouthfeel and the ridiculous tropical hop flavor and smell accounts to the hop extracting method they use. Where they drain all the hops of their natural oils and alpha acids until its all into a thick syrupy liquid then they put in the beer. You can tell too because this doesn't taste like a typical IPA and its really a unique method for making an outstanding smell and tasting IPA.

I can tell this is pretty fresh too so definitely buy this fresh and warm it up for about 5 or 10 minutes out of the fridge to get that hop bitterness this is capable of. When its too cold you can taste the alcohol a bit and the bitterness is kind of subdued from the coldness. This beer warmed just a tad is amazing. Sweet thick malts mix in with the tropical, grapefruit, flowery and fruity loop type hops. I'm glad the store next to me just started offering this so I know it'll be fresh for a couple months now. Definitely get this beer if you like Double IPA's its fantastic.

02-03-2011 01:47:07 | More by thebrood1987
GreenPea

I can not believe this beer has received anything but a solid A+.

The appearance is drop dead gorgeous. A beautiful amber copper colored clear brew. The lacing sticks around and a foamy head tells you it's time to enjoy.

The smell is solid Pineapple, resin, tropical fruit, and everything that makes hoppy...hoppy.

The taste is spicy clean and refreshing. Period.

Mouth feel is spot on with a clean, well balanced carbonated feel tells you everything is in check.

Overall this one works coast to coast. The alcohol is hidden well, it's fresh, clean and extremely balanced.

I'm OK with this being the only beer in my fridge.

12-07-2011 23:45:11 | More by GreenPea
Canslammer

My search for the perfect IPA is over! I have spent a lot of time and money looking for the perfect IPA, and finally I have found it. I seem to always get suckered in by reviews from this site and others about how good an IPA is or isn't, but my search is officially over. This is my go to beer! Unfortunately it is difficult to find.

06-29-2012 22:38:27 | More by Canslammer
SometimesIfart

A - Pours a clear orange-ish white with a massive three finger off-white head. Leaves great amount of large spiderweb-like lacing.

S - Banana, Mango, slight grapefruit, kiwi, lemon. Smells very tropical and delicious.

T - Mango upfront, small amounts of grapefruit, mango in the middle, and more mango in the finish. Slight amounts of malt also makes it's way through. Exactly the taste I want in an IPA.

M - Light bodied with heavy, cold carbonation. Sits perfectly.

O - Overall, a fucking delicious IPA. Seriously great. Holy shit is this wonderul. I will definitely have this one again. Best , most perfectly balanced beer I've ever had. Hands down a Heavyweight champ right here. I've been advocating beer for the past 8 months to find something this great and I finaly have. Thank you Lagunitas!.

01-21-2013 05:47:45 | More by SometimesIfart
wgk

4.99/5  rDev +26%

On 08/04/11 I said...

This is an excellent DIPA with 72 IBUs and it is what I would call a perfectly balanced DIPA. Not too hoppy...is there such a thing? Not too high an ABV.

| Since 08/2012, the IBU label was dropped to 59 because ..."Dearest Loyal Fan,
| There are different IBUs labeled because we used a calculated formula to figure the IBUs | which is listed on the 6pack. We now have a way to physically test the beer so the IBUs
| listed on the actual bottles are the correct. The beer and its recipe have never changed,
| we just finally got the labels right...kinda."
| ...but the cases were labeled 72 for a while longer.

In summer, well all the time really, I prefer my beers just short of forming a few ice crystals when I start them. Good beers can take time to finish and I like to let all their flavors come around as they warm up a bit while I enjoy them.

This baby is top drawer all the way from start to finish and I always find myself checking the bottle more than once for a last drop. Lagunitas is right, though: "Don't sip!". Your second one IS just as good. After several 6 packs and a case, the consistency of this DIPA has been really good, too.

| 11/10/13 - This is still on the top of my affordable, drinkable DIPA list. I regularly buy it | by the case.

11-10-2013 19:51:04 | More by wgk
threeviews

4.98/5  rDev +25.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle(Bottled on January 09, 2014) into a 12oz Rastal tulip glass.

A-Despite some sediment (D.E.?) left in suspension, Maximus pours a mostly clear and deep sunset orange sporting a 1-finger frothy white head. (4.25)

S- You are immediately assaulted with citrus notes: sweet orange/tangerine and grapefruit notes followed by hints of tropical fruit. As the head dissipates, the orange begins to dominate as well as some ruby red grapefruit and a hint of pine comes out of hiding...the malt refuses to play second (or third) fiddle and its sweetness is also present in the nose. (5.0)

T- The taste is a perfect amalgamation of malt sweetness and citrus pucker. Neither component is overpowering which makes for a well balanced recipe. The malt backbone hits the palate first and then is quickly quelled by the significant hop presence. However, the flavor is lingering, but not overwhelming. (5.0)

M- Medium bodied without being cloying. Moderate carbonation does just enough to open the tastebuds and allow all of the flavors to mingle on the palate in perfect harmony. (5.0)

O- This is the beer that initially pulled me into the world of hoppy beers. This also stands to be my 3rd review of this beer, as I feel (as my palate has since developed over the years) stands to be the more accurate. As such, Maximus is In essence a less tropical (and more piney) version of Sucks (another favorite of mine). Fortunately, I still remain nothing short of impressed with Maximus and it will remain a staple in my 'fridge. Fortunately for me, this is an "Unlimited Release" and therefore am able to get it year-round...you should too. (5.0)

Drink up and enjoy!

03-03-2014 23:41:31 | More by threeviews
Jordan

4.97/5  rDev +25.5%

My hat is off to Venom for capturing the essense of this beer in his review. Maximus has a profound aroma I have never experienced in any other brew. Pine & grapefruit rind backbone, with an unusual malt intermixed. After taking a deep breath in it's aroma I had an impulse to fall to sleep.

Careful when you pour, Maximus is very easily aggitated. Respect this beer and in return it will respect you. Prost.

06-22-2002 01:56:37 | More by Jordan
ddean

Delicious.

Has been my firm favorite for at least a couple of years. It tastes best at 50-60 degrees, and loses it hops quickly if stored at room temperature. If you don't have a warmish fridge, buy them warm, cool them slightly in your basement, and get to them quick.

Appearance-
A mellow orange/copper, clear. Steady carbonation, not much foam, but high retention.

Smell-
Fragrant hops dominate if you drink the Maximus at about 50 degrees or higher. This smell almost disappears when fully chilled. I also get the grapefruit and pine that others mention. No malt that I can smell.

Taste-
Truly yummy. First a smooth, slightly sweet maltiness, followed by that same grapefruit and pine (spruce?) that you can smell. Grapefruit and hops pleasantly linger in the aftertaste for some time.

Mouthfeel-
Smooth, smooth, with a steady, gentle stream of carbonation.

Drinkability-
For all its complexity, I am happy to stick to this beer all evening. It is flavorful, not too heavy, cleanses your palate well, but steps back when you take another bite of food, so it goes with pretty much any dish I've had with it, especially Thai or other spicy fare. Highly recommended.

10-09-2009 21:26:13 | More by ddean
CAcreeks

4.97/5  rDev +25.5%

I am surprised this beer has such a low rating. Perhaps Lagunitas changed the recipe before making it an all-year brew. With double IPAs currently high-priced and hard to obtain, this one stands out as memorably scrumptious, a repeat buy. Despite its lower IBU rating, I like Maximus better than Hop Stoopid, also from Lagunitas.

Amber color with foamy head. Floral and citrus aromas, not as pronounced as Pliny or Green Flash, but very well balanced. Taste is bitter but with underlying sweetness. Thicker than average, which with 8% alcohol, are the only reasons it might be labeled a double IPA.

For $10 a 6-pack, I don't think there is a better IPA value in California. Green Flash IPA is good but costs $9 a 4-pack. Stone IPA is somewhat wimpier, and Ranger IPA is a good deal wimpier, although both are totally respectable in their own way.

03-23-2011 02:05:01 | More by CAcreeks
sonnmr31

4.95/5  rDev +25%

A - Deep auburn orange with just a touch of haze.

S - Aroma is very citrusy, more like a grapefruit assault mixed with floral hops.

T - This is definitely a hop-heads delight. The bitterness in the finish is very pleasing.

M - Medium bodied and creamy

O - This is one if my favorite IPAs and would buy again

08-17-2011 02:18:48 | More by sonnmr31
nickapalooza86

4.88/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a copper color with a half finger of a off white head, really good looking stuff.

Smell is huge tropical and citrus, almost a honey like sweetness in there, a little floral in the back.

Taste is dank citrus and tropical fruits, caramel sweetness, bitter grapefruit, finishes with a bite of bitter pine.

Mouthfeel is medium full with the perfect amout of carbonation for the style, very drying at the end.

As I have said many times I do prefer this to Sucks slightly, to me the hops are just as good but it has a bigger malt backbone that gives it a sweet complexity just not found in Sucks... Probably my second favorite DIPA.

03-04-2013 18:09:58 | More by nickapalooza86
mattmaples

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

To me this IPA is one of the best!! It may have a large bitterness at 72.4 IBU but the best hting is it has enough malt to back it up. ALthough bitter it has balance. With a respectable 7.5% one 22oz is just enough. A must try for the Hop-head and non Hop-head alike.

09-22-2001 14:56:56 | More by mattmaples
MisterNic

Wyoming

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

A - Pours a copper orange color with a 2-finger white head that sticks around until the last sip. I noticed that this beer has some floaters in it (Lagunitas doesn’t filter their beers), but that doesn’t bother me. It also has some alcohol legs, which doesn’t surprise me for an 8.2% beer.

S - The aroma is pine and BIG sweet citrus and pineapple. It also has a bit of resinous hop aroma in there as well.

T - The flavor is pine, sweet caramel maltiness with a nice hop bitterness to balance it out. I also pick up a little bit of a bready maltiness as well.

M - Mouthfeel is nice. Full bodied, sticky.

O - Overall, this is one of my favorite IPA’s. It’s in the top five for sure. Massive hop flavor and aroma and a big malt backbone to balance it out makes this beer one of my favorites.

12-17-2012 16:17:54 | More by MisterNic
RootedFool

4.83/5  rDev +22%

Bomber purchased at the North Coast Co-op in Eureka, California.

I was excited to see this, it's not usually available around here and I'm aching to try it out. So here goes.

Pours luminescent amber with a full, puffy white head that's leaving some thin, detailed patterns of lace on the glass and some pea sized bubbles on the surface of the brew.

The smell is up-front sweet, like warm caramel and fresh cotton candy, and the middle -- through to the finish -- shows off a citrusy hop kick not too far in the background.

Taste opens with a narrow jolt of bitterness that is rapidly worn smooth by sweet, delicious malts. The middle is green apple tart, grapefruit bitter -- the sweet and the bitter conjoin effortlessly. The finish lasts long, beginning with the hop bitterness unleashed and zipping around my palate; the sweet malts still hold it down at the base of the flavor, stable as can be. I can still taste the bitterness tingling around my mouth several minutes after my last sip, and the alcohol warms my throat and gut without butting in on the taste.

Mouthfeel is full, palate embracing, and plenty carbonated.

Awesomely balanced yet wicked enough to satisfy my big masochistic hop head.

04-19-2004 03:06:40 | More by RootedFool
BlindPig

4.83/5  rDev +22%

This is an amazing brew.
A- 2" light tan head that leaves a little lacing that sticks to side of glass. It is a cloudy orangey/copper/amber color.
S-Big citrus hops. Nice malt back bone that makes its self very present. Hints of grapefruit and lemon and a few other fruits that can't pin point. Maybe tangerine.
T-Citrus hops attack the taste buds with a nice balanced bitterness. The malt comes through with a hint of alcohol also. The alcohol leaves very little to basically no warming, but is there. Citrus fruits all come into play also. Lemons, orange, grapefruits. The aftertaste gets more bitter and flavors of citrus tastes all over mouth. Has malt in it also.
M- Goes down very smooth, and creamy. Medium/full body and light carbonation.
D-This, like I stated earlier, is an amazing brew. Just perfect blend of flavors. Great bitterness with a good flavor to it. Just great all around. Love it.

09-06-2006 03:37:54 | More by BlindPig
bargerking

4.83/5  rDev +22%

Poured a pretty golden hue. Smell was like butterscotch with a hint of hops. Taste was sweet and buttery. Very litle hops at all. Very smooth. Too me this tasted like an aged barleywine. Couldnt taste the alcohol at all. This beer is definatly on my try again list.

08-10-2009 03:47:20 | More by bargerking
logan0203

4.83/5  rDev +22%

Very good! I have a son named Maximus, so I had to try this. It was my first purchase from Lagunitas and I'm impressed! Very hoppy, but still a bit sweet. Not overpowering, but just strong enough. Not too expensive either. Gotta love the creative label as well. I highly recommend this.

02-14-2010 12:46:07 | More by logan0203
gwfrankpsu

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Ah, Lagunitas. This IPA kicks ass, what is it about west coast IPAs? Some eastern brewers try, but they are not willing or chicken to allow drinkers to taste hops. There is no mistaking, this beer has hops, hops, HOPS! I love this brewery, it's in my top twenty berweries to retire to. Not to live near - But in the brewery. Can't wait to be back in California (existing in Maine) for Christmas. How much can I take on the plane?

10-29-2001 11:40:08 | More by gwfrankpsu
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.78/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer pours to a deep amber color with an orange tint, with a thick, foamy, off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a little bit of lace on the glass.

S: Heavy hops aroma with a background of citrus and malt.

T: The hops hit you first, then a malty, citrus sweetness. As the beer warms, the two flavors blend together more and the beer becomes very well-balanced. It leaves a nice floral hops after-taste.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

D: This beer goes down quite easily, there’s no hint of the alcohol (mostly because of the strength of the hops), very tasty and it’s not very filling. This is a beer I could stick with for the whole night. This is an excellent beer and an excellent representation of the style. I liked this beer a lot.

05-28-2006 04:43:53 | More by TheManiacalOne
Brunite

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

A: Pours a clear, orange-copper body with a nice off-white head. Head says solid and pitting. Nice lacing shows.

S: Grapefruit & orange...some pine...with some maltiness as well. This smells almost as good as fresh Hopslam to me.

T: Great flavors of citrus and pine, but it definitely has a big malt presence as well. Very tasty and balanced.

M: Medium bodied. Appropriate carbonation.

O: I really enjoyed this. More than an IPA but not as much alcohol or in-your-faceness as some bigger DIPA's. I'll have this one in the fridge all the time!

07-11-2011 06:31:20 | More by Brunite
Pencible

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

This poured a clear copper with a little bit of white head. It smelled like roasted malt and pine hops with a bit of alcohol. It tasted like both citrus and pine hops blended nicely together, with a good malt balance as well. The texture was oily, slightly thicker than water, with a bit of carbonation. It had a mildly bitter aftertaste at first, but it built with time. Overall this was a very tasty beer, reminiscent to me of the Dogfish 90 Min (one of my all-time favorites).

03-28-2008 22:46:36 | More by Pencible
erosier

Connecticut

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

L: Pours a nice orangey-yellow color with a medium sized but thicker bodied white colored head that laces the glass quite nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted and lighter toasted malts, a nice bitter hop aroma - piney/citrusy/floral that rounds up the nose.
T: Tastes of mainly hops, but a nice mix of piney hops, citrusy hops, and floral hops that actually aren't as harsh on the palatte as I was expecting, especially with a name like 'Maximus'. There was a lot of the malt presence in this one which I really liked.
M: Very crisp, refreshing, prefect amount of carbonation, and a bit warming as it has a decent amount of alcohol.
D: Very drinkable DIPA, don't let the name fool you, this is a good one that has all of the flavors and isn't just a hop bomb.

07-03-2009 13:53:21 | More by erosier
J_Dub

4.69/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A- Clear copper pour. Decent head with lots of lacing

S- Good balance between hops and pine aroma. Slight grapefruit citrus notes in the background. Superb smelling IPA

T- Follows the smell. Hoppy pine right of the bat. Spicy floral flavors are present as well. I don't taste much citrus as the spice, hop and pine dominate but that's a good thing in this beer. Extremely well balanced. All around a great traditional IPA flavor. One of the better IPA's I've had.

M- Not a lot of carbonation. Very smooth, drinkable beer. Very balanced again.

I have to say this is another rockstar Lagunitas IPA. I am in love with Sucks and now Maximus. I actually like Lagunitas Imperial and Double IPAs much better than the their regular. Maximus is perfectly balanced. Tons of great hop/pine/spice flavors that are in perfect proportion. This brew also has very little bitterness so perhaps it would be a good IPA for people looking to expand their tastes. A definite go-to IPA for me now. I would buy this over pretty much any other IPA out there.

05-29-2013 00:15:48 | More by J_Dub
Arinthos

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

Glass : oversized wine glass

A - clear with a reddish orange hue, head quickly dissapered leaving hints of lacing.

S- HOPS !!!! very strong odour of hops

T - over powering hoppy taste but for those who enjoy hops at 70+ IBU's this is great.

M - warms nicely as well as being crisp with light carbonation.

D- This is a great smelling and tasting DIPA pretty much my ultimate beer for that special session.

09-30-2010 20:24:04 | More by Arinthos