2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Maximus - Lagunitas Brewing Company

MaximusMaximus

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maximus Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,505 | Reviews: 1,351 | Show All Ratings:
Cramletram

Tennessee

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I can't find anything wrong with this one, personally. I was tempted to give 5/5 on everything, but that would just make me look like the noob that perhaps I am, and to say that I haven't found or won't find a better beer than this - well that's just crazy talk. Call me optimistic.

I poured a Pint 6oz bottle into a tall glass. Maximus has pretty much everything I crave, and then some. My only initial hesitation with the flavor was the slightly stronger maltiness than I'm used to, but I quickly got used to it. The nice alcoholic grapefruit finish feels great in the mouth. The amount of hops is just right. I had the opportunity to compare 5 IPA/DIPA's this week. Anderson's Hop Ottin', Stone Ruination, Stone IPA, Stone Arrogant Bastard (which may or may not technically be an IPA), and this one. This was my favorite of the 5. I went back and purchased another bottle the next day.

This will be a go-to for me from now on.

10-19-2013 07:29:25 | More by Cramletram
Hops4Pops

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle

A: Aggressive side pour into a 12 oz taster glass. Giant, slightly off-white head very slowly receding. Super sticky lacing. A beautiful golden color with particles seen.

S: Hops, sweet malt, citrus, grapefruit.

T: Very nice hops and sweet malt malt well balanced and upfront. Some serious bitterness on the back end and finally a barely detectable alcohol. I taste some breadiness in there too.

M: Smooth and creamy up front with the hops following up and finally a nice warmth from the alcohols

O: This is a great example of a Double IPA. The alcohol is well hidden and I like the price point. Also I keep on wanting to take another sip even though on the bottle it says "Life is Uncertain. Don't sip. This is a great beer at a nice price point. I need to keep a few around. A very nice and unusually unique example of a DIPA.

11-23-2013 23:32:21 | More by Hops4Pops
Morris729

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a cloudy orange copper color with a thick and creamy white head that does a great job of clinging to the sides of the glass while drinking. Strong floral hops in the aroma with notes of lemon and orange peel. The I.B.U. is a 72.41, so as you might expect, it’s quite bitter. Hop resins dominate the flavor with notes of tart, fresh grapefruit. A definite treat for hopheads out there. I don’t necessarily consider myself to be a hophead, but I really enjoyed this beer.

12-04-2002 00:31:11 | More by Morris729
WVbeergeek

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Now this is truly foam and this is one of the most difficult pours had my pint at a complete 30 degree angle at the beginning of the pour I have four fingers of head on it, well it appears a wonderful copper orange hue with massive copious amounts of off white frothy head, did I mention the loads and loads of hop particles floating in my pint I love it. These west coasters sure do know how to hop a beer! Aroma: Huge citrus and pine tones flood the senses but the just as massive amount of malt in this beer is prevalent in the scent very rich and fulfilling on all levels what a beer. This beer is as heavenly as the ocean breeze it's just way to nice, a smell that is all by itself a must try. Taste: Honey syrup tones lie beneath a wave of juicy hop citrus and pine and earthy goodness what a friggin beer we have here. So many layers of hops within the beer yet so complex with malt sweetness and don't get me started on the texture. Mouthfeel: Full bodied as they come with chewy texture gelatinou head adds to this experience there are proteins and texture in the foam by itself whenn blended with the beer, all I can say is wow. Drinkability: Despite all of these huge massive tones of flavor, aroma, appearance, this beers drinkability is increased by the complexity alone and once you taste and fully enjoy this cherished beer than you'll be able to relate to this review seek this one out yet this is an original experience from beginning to end of the beer.

09-18-2003 17:53:11 | More by WVbeergeek
Dmann

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

What a beautiful beer! This one poured a gorgeous amber color with a perfectly foamy white head. I must also note, the bottle was very cool indicating not only the ABV but the IBU's and the OG. The beer had a wonderful hoppy citrus scent with a healthy dose of pine and a great malt sweetness. The taste was incredably smoothe and more balanced than I thought it would be. There were a lot of hops for sure, but they were not overberaring and were balanced out wonderfuly by the malt, slight peppery spice and the silky smoothe mouthfeel. At 7.5%, this beer could do some serious dammage, but it is so easy to drink that I just might have to take that risk!

10-18-2003 08:34:59 | More by Dmann
kosmoraios

Washington

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a translucent reddish-copper with minimal head. Aroma is spicy hops, very enticing. I was quite impressed with this Lagunitas offering. Taste is primarily bitter, spicy hops with a solid malt overlay - hints of citrus and tangy tangerine. Smooth, spicy mouthfeel. An excellent double IPA for the price - 4.39 for a bomber. Very drinkable, even at 7.5%.

11-08-2004 01:13:06 | More by kosmoraios
PBRstreetgang

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a golden copper hue with slight haze. Dense three finger head shows outstanding retention and leaves beautiful spiderweb lacing. The hop aroma is a blend of fruity Cascade and Chinook; with matching Simcoe pine needle. Some crystal and pilsener malt aromas loom in the background. Toasty pale malt and light caramel make up the sweet side of a very hoppy beer and for a brief moment the malt commands the flavor, then a barrage of american hops storm the taste buds - abrasively balancing the overall charater. Lemon, orange, and grapefruit-rind tones meet pine sap and grass clippings. But it never overwhelms; the aftertaste is drying- but more of a showcase of hop character than senseless IBU's. Medium-body and mild carbonation accentuate the oily mouthfeel and allow a residual sweetness to accompany the delicious hop resins that coat the tounge. The drinkability of this beer really shines; a Barleywine-caliber complexity that you can knock back like a session IPA.

03-25-2007 06:29:15 | More by PBRstreetgang
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

A - Pours a clear copper with a solid, creamy head and good lacing.

S - Floral, malty and grapefruity, in that order.

T - Malty-sweet with pine-and-grapefruit hops. A hint of apple and a touch of alcohol comes through.

M - Solid mouthfeel. Slick, substantial body.

D- Hoppy, as expected, but the malt also holds its own. Well balanced IMO.

09-18-2008 17:14:15 | More by allergictomacros
mjryan

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Hazy orange colour, with a thick head that leaves lots and lots of lace on the glass. Aroma is pungent, resinous grapefuit, with nice floral overtones. The flovour is awesome. Very hoppy with a nice delicate malt background. Bitterness is smooth, but very present. Medium bodied, with a medium carbonation level. Has a nice dry and bitter finish. At 7.5% ABV this is a smaller, more sessionable DIPA and I like that. One of the better examples Ive ever had.
"sessionable DIPA, is that an oxymoron?"

10-22-2008 21:22:08 | More by mjryan
Tone

Missouri

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a clear, golden/copper color. 1 and 1/2 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of strong hops and sweet malt in the background. Fits the style of an American Double / Imperial IPA. Mouth feel is smooth and chewy with an average carbonation level. The bitterness was present, but not overpowering. Tastes of strong hops up front and sweet malt in the background with some noticeable dryness. Overall, a really tasty brew - I recommend this beer.

04-30-2009 22:38:35 | More by Tone
dfillius

Enjoyed in a pint glass
A: Aggressive pour yields 1 finger off-white head with good retention. Chill hazy dark amber liquid. Pretty, darn near ideal!
S: Orange rind, pineapple, caramel. Delightful but just slightly less than perfect in diversity.
T: Bitter, but enough malt to balance but not equal the hops. So nice.
M: Very nicely bitter. Kind of warm. Very pleasant.
D: I will buy a sixer of this and would definitely order another. One of the best DIPAs I've had. Far better than I remember it being.

11-13-2010 18:47:54 | More by dfillius
JizackFH

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

A - This beer pours a nice golden orange color, and has a nice sized off-white head that never seems to fall. The head left good lacing behind.

S - This smells of floral and citrus hops. There is also some sweetness, fruitiness, and a touch of booze.

T - It's hoppy. Not as hoppy as I thought it would be, but it still has a good amount. This is a very well balanced beer, and it hides it alcohol content very well.

M - It has a medium body with a good amount of carbonation. It's crisp and it goes down very smooth.

D - The drinkability of this beer is very good. This is a really good beer, and I could drink it all the time. Another fine beer by Lagunitas. Cheers.

12-16-2010 07:27:53 | More by JizackFH
marc956

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Slightly more bitter than I had expected but one needs to remember it's a double IPA .. very easy drinking considering it's 8.2% .. high quality, like all other Lagunitas beers I have drunk over the years. Highly recommended (I enjoyed it with ribs)

05-08-2011 05:09:41 | More by marc956
damndirtyape

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz bottle poured into a milkshake pilsner glass. There is a date/batch/bottling stamp on the neck, but what the numbers mean is unknown to me.

Appearance: Crystal clear copper ale with golden notes. Pour gave a 1/4" dense off-white foam that died down to a decent ring at the edge of the glass and a thin foam film across the top. Persistent strands and small sheets of lacing noted. Large bubbles coming up consistently through the beer - nice to look at.

Smell: Oh man this smells good. Strong papaya and mango with a hint of pine.

Taste: A hop bomb, but well balanced with malt. Up front immediate hoppiness with the tropical fruit flavors, then moving into a blended sweet/hop bitter flavor, and then a strong piney, but not overpowering, finish. A smooth sipper and the malt is there at each step to temper the bitterness, but not get in the way.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but quite smooth. Carbonation is there on the tongue, but just right - not fizzy, not scouring. Yields a hoppy burp from time to time - not that I'm complaining mind you. Definitely some hop oil residue clinging to the teeth, but I think the carbonation that is here helps to pull some of it off, just not all of it.

Overall / Drinkability: I REALLY enjoyed this beer. Dangerously drinkable (I finished this off fairly quickly and want another), works as a smooth sipper on its own and as a great beer with a meal for washing things down (cinnamon beef stew in this case - would go great with a Burger too I think). Quite good and definitely worth picking up again. This may be my new favorite DIPA.

11-16-2011 23:48:23 | More by damndirtyape
SawDog505

New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass. Pours a very attractive bright orange, as clean as any beer I have ever seen. A one inch slight off white head, that settles after a minute, to a nice foamy film. Pretty lacing, not in excess. Smell is tons of citrus, pineapple, mango, tangerine, pine, and grass. Taste is all of that, with a wallup of grapefruit in the finish, oh boy. Body is on the thinner side for the style and that makes it so drinkable. This is a great beer and a great price. Plus a freshness on bottle dated 298. Lagunitas rarely fails. DIPA six packs, less than $10, less than a mile way, Merry Christmas to me.

11-18-2011 19:23:42 | More by SawDog505
ubenumber2

Arkansas

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Smell is a mixture of a citrus , doughy smell with a hint of earthy pine to it

Pours nice with a 2 finger white head with nice lacing , crystal clear beer with almost too much carbonation

The taste is really great at the beginning , bitter and hoppy , then it just falls flat at the end of the drink. Im used to getting the malty sweet aftertaste with a bite of alchohol and its just missing here. After the bitterness and the hops it just drops off to nothing

Over all this is an ok beer at best. Its a pretty beer so the wife says , the smell is great , its just the second half of the drink falls off the map into nothing. I bought a 6 pack fo this but will not purchase anymore , would rather have a couple bombers of Hopstoopid

Edit: After having this beer fresh I am convinced this is a great brew , the flavor is malty sweet with just the right amount of hops , loving it

03-13-2013 14:33:35 | More by ubenumber2
JMScowcroft

Vermont

4.49/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Lagunitas - Maximus

Look - Pours a hazy amber with a hint of red to it. Nice soapy head, lots of sticky lacing. Great looking brew.

Smell - Aroma is rich deep caramel malts with juicy citrus and bitter resin hops on top. Killer aroma, quite mouth-watering. Some pepper and spice throughout.

Taste - Caramel malts are rich and then blasted out of the way by big juicy citrus and eventually settles down as piney hop resin. Yum.

Mouthfeel - Bitter piney hop resin and sticky malts rest here. A tad hot and a little boozy, warms the mouth, throat, and tummy. Light carbonation. Good drinkability.

Overall - Another excellent Lagunitas offering, damn they are good!

06-05-2013 18:12:03 | More by JMScowcroft
beerbully

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%

poured into a pint glass

A-clear copper with 1/2 inch head that dissipates leaving thick lacing

S-big sweet aroma, bublegum, mango, hops, floral, pineapple

T-follows the nose. sweet and hoppy, juicy, minor pine notes

M- mild carbonation, juciy, oily, creamy, coats the mouth and feels good going down. Flavor is disperse throughout the mouth

V-very refreshing drinkable DIPA

06-30-2012 18:30:23 | More by beerbully
jpro

South Carolina

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz single from Northbridge Pig (R.I.P.) into a Duvel tulip...

A: Pours a deep copper (nice and clear), with a 3-finger head of creamy, light ecru foam; superb retention leaves a nice mound of foamy goodness topping the amber brew for a while... leaving considerably thick rings and sheets of sugary lace. I originally gave the appearance a 4.75, but I don't think an imperial IPA could look much better. 5 it is!

S: Surprised by the massive whiff of caramel malt... so sweet it almost reminds me of cotton candy - which perhaps comes from a well balanced blend of malt and hop aroma. Hop aroma is subdued, compared to most double IPAs, but pine and citrus rind notes are most definitely present.

T: Light citrus / orange rind hoppiness followed by a chewy caramel, toasted malt sweetness; heavier, piney bitterness on the finish. A very well balanced double IPA - some would probably say too malty, but I think it's pretty delicious.

M: Full-bodied; moderate carbonation; a chewier double IPA with some well brewed texture; has a great mouthfeel that leans toward viscous, yet maintains enough carbonation to keep things snappy.

O: Well, I was definitely caught off guard by this one - in a good way. A superbly well balanced double IPA (although a smaller one at 8.2%). Great mouthfeel and excellent drinkability for the style. Will definitely have this again... wondering how a super fresh bottle would compare?

10-09-2013 23:17:16 | More by jpro
faernt

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

OK...this is a tasty one. I've been drinking it for a while (it's a bomber) and I'm moved to review. It pours with a little head which sticks to the sides of the glass. It smells of hops and when I brew my own I'm sure I'll know by the smell which hops I smell. Until them I'll enjoy whatever they are in my ignorant bliss.

This stuff tastes great. Thanks Jim Morris for the swap. I hit a point where I say "this is a beer drinking night" and after starting out with this one I'm on a course this evening. The mouthfeel is substantial. I like this about double IPAs. This beer tastes like other double IPAs I've had (like the Bastards) and Dreadnaught ( Dreadnaught is the ranking leader by a hop cone)

Drinkability...this is such a silly portion of our judging. I would drink his all night but I'd soon fall asleep. It's seriously drinkable but it's7.5%. You tell me how long you can do this one.

05-20-2004 23:46:48 | More by faernt
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Orange gold and very inviting with a piney, resinous nose. Big mouthfeel with hops aplenty . The balance is just right making this an imperial IPA that is very drinkable. Compare this with I2PA from Rogue and you will find a certain refinement in the Lagunitas offering.

07-13-2004 01:22:55 | More by canucklehead
bradybeer

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

This is my favorite beer to have around the house. It pours well and the aroma of resin hits you as soon as you pour it.

The color is a medium orange with a nice white head.

Hops, hops, and more hops-the aroma hits you as soon as you pour the beer following through to the end.

The taste for me is balanced between the malt and the hops and as far as mouth feel goes it is thick and chewy.

This maybe one of the most drinkable double IPAs on the market-it isn't over- powering-allows for drinking more of the Maximus than other Douple IPAs.

09-05-2006 20:13:36 | More by bradybeer
jjayjaye

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a clear orange amber color with less than a full finger off white head that fades to surface. Plenty of lacing present.

Smells a lot like some of my favorite DIPAs do. A citrus hop aroma with balanced sweet malty notes.

The mouth feel is smooth and medium bodied with a slight ting from the hop and carbonation.

The flavor is nice too. Smooth, sweet and creamy with a hop malt balance that is complemented quite well by the mouth feel

I'm a big fan here. I'm drawn to the balance. I enjoy a fresh hopped IPA too, but i could imagine spending a Saturday afternoon with a couple of these guys. The other draw to me is the price. The fact that Lagunitas can pull this off the what i paid is attractive to me. I'm comforted by the fact that i might be able to afford to enjoy their products for a while. That looks like it's taking this one to the top of my list too.

02-28-2007 00:35:03 | More by jjayjaye
TurdFurgison

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

What a great beer. I bought a 6-pack for $9.00 (cheap for a good DIPA) and hoped for the best based on previous good experience with Lagunitas beers. I wasn't disappointed, this was a near masterpiece.

The beer was brilliantly clear, copper orange color, with a thick foamy head. The aroma was way hoppy, but included some malt tones so it wasn't 1-sided. The flavor was also dominated by hops (duh) but with a thick mouthfeel and strong malty backbone. There was a slightly sweet component to the flavor, but only slight (nothing like DFH DIPA sweetness) and more than compensated for by the puckering bitterness.

I highly recommend this for hops lovers.

03-07-2007 00:07:54 | More by TurdFurgison
TasteTester

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

What can I say but I love this beer! It hits the spot when I'm looking for a DIPA/Imperial.

22-oz bomber in a 20-oz mug.

A-Beautiful amber/goldenrod color. 1 finger head on initial pour. Lacing top to bottom on my mug.

S-Sweet, floral, hoppy. Not overpowering...the way it should smell.

T-Resiny, piney, hoppy. Can't really put a finger on the underlying flavors.

M-Tingles. Warm.

D-Could drink this out of bottles or on tap all day long...as long as I had a ride home.

05-18-2008 03:31:59 | More by TasteTester