1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Maximus - Lagunitas Brewing Company

MaximusMaximus

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maximus Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,485 | Reviews: 1,347 | Show All Ratings:
warmstorage

1.83/5  rDev -53.8%

Serving: 22 ounce bomber, $2.79 at Safeway, into "beer clean" bell pint glass.

Pours a filtered clear medium orange. A vigorous pour results in some orange-tinted white head, but it quickly dispreses. VERY clear filtered medium orange color, tiny bubbles moving up.

Smell: pretty limited, slightly sweet, hint of metallic/flat smell. No hops noticeable.

Taste: initial taste is of malty sweet amber, hints of honey, present bitterness, like a British bitter. Minimal hop flavor (if this were a blind tasting, I would probably think this was an amber or a strong bitter style, maybe a sweet, slightly hopped Red.) Really, for a beer sold as a Double IPA, this is super disappointing. I wouldn't be happy with it as a single IPA, and would barely even accept it as a basic APA. And it wouldn't be a good beer for any of these styles. Blah!

Where are the label-advertised "72.41" IBUs? Got me. There are almost no hops present here at all.

Mouthfeel: medium to low carbonation, sweet, tangy mouth, most of the mouth is of sweetness and some slight alcohol warmth.

Overall, I'm sad to report that this is another profoundly mediocre offering from Lagunitas, which has great marketing and distribution (here in Northern California, at least), but way less than average beers. Better than macroswill, sure, but not by much, and doesn't hold a candle to many other widely available beers.

05-23-2005 21:17:35 | More by warmstorage
nlmartin

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The beer was served into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a very pleasing clear copper coloration. The head has a fluffy off white coloration. The beer has absolutely no head retention.

Smell: The beer has a good citrus grapefruit and general piney floral hops smell. The beer has a good bready maltyness. There is a astringent vaguely metallic off smell present in this beer.

Taste: The beer has a funky asprin taste up front. This asprin taste combines with citrus flavors and pine cones. The beer has a bit of sweetness towards the middle; however, due to the oilyness of the hops the maltyness never stands out.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a very astringent smell and the taste of asprins. Needless to say, this beer was hard to drink between smell and taste. The beer is medium bodied. The hops are unpleasantly oily and long lasting. This was a very hard beer to finish. This beer needs to go back to the drawing board.

05-19-2006 10:26:35 | More by nlmartin
alysmith4

District of Columbia

2.05/5  rDev -48.2%

This beer was recommended to me as one to tide me over until more HopSlam comes available. The beer buyer said they were similar in flavor, so I decided to give it a try. I was not impressesed, and I think it's miscategorized. It tasted much more like an Amber than an IPA (much less a Double or Imperial IPA), and I was so turned off by the amount of malt flavor present. There was almost zero hop flavor. It poured well and has a good appearance and mouthfeel, but for me, that was about it. If I was expecting (or looking forward to) an Amber, then maybe I'd review differently. But I don't like that style, so I won't be having it again.

11-07-2009 01:01:16 | More by alysmith4
scorched

2.23/5  rDev -43.7%

I like IPAs. When offered a choice, I tend to lean towards them because I love the dry-hopped bitterness of this particular style.

Maximus, however, goes a little overboard. The aroma is less than pleasant, almost pungent. The oils from the hops are so overpowering, its almost greasy.

It is fairly drinkable, however, assuming that you've been properly "warming up" beforehand. The head goes away almost immediately after the first sip, but the flavor is still there.

All in all, I would say that if you like IPAs, you should try it. Otherwise, don't even bother.

05-22-2006 03:28:33 | More by scorched
jakester

2.42/5  rDev -38.9%

22oz bomber. They have the IBU's (72.4, I doubt it), O.G. 1080,(probably), and ABV 7.5 on the label, but NO DATE! This must have been old; for a DIPA, this was crap.

Sediment on the bottom. Pours a hazy, deep golden/orange. A foamy, cream colored head, @1/2", which fades quickly to a coating on top. Some slight lacing is evident on the glass.

As for smell, there actually is hardly any smell at all. I took off my glasses so I could stick my nose all the way in there, and got a faint metalic, toffee/biscuit smell, and maybe very faint grapefruit. Some alcohol as it warmed. Disappointing.

The first flavor is a sweet malt; caramely/yeasty, followed by a slight level of bitterness. Hardly any hop flavor. There's some kind of metalic taste in there. The aftertaste was short.

The mouthfeel is probably the best character of this beer. Soft carbonation, some resins on the tongue. Malt sweetness seems to kick in after a while.

This sample had to have been old. No hop aroma, minimal hop flavor, floaties on the bottom. Put the freakin' date on the labels, guys!!!

06-20-2005 22:55:12 | More by jakester
jtierney89

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear bright orange glow with lots of visible carbonation but a very thin lace of off white head. Big wet grapefruit hop nose with a slight caramel sweetness lingering somewhere underneath.

Big juicy mouthfeel with lots of tropical fruit and a slightly mint finish. Bitterness is slightly high. Some grassy notes on the finish as well. Flavors are concentrated and well blended but pungent. Nothing new really except a very harsh bite that builds. Worth a try, might be for you. I oddly found more balance on their regular ipa though. Malt backbone isn't as big as the nose leads it on to be. Slightly bigger than their regular ipa but not as big as it should be.

12-13-2011 17:14:08 | More by jtierney89
elricorico

Alberta (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy copper colour with a thin cream coloured head. The head fades to a couple of puddles on top, but leaves some lacing.

Smell is fairly sweet, almost a molasses type of smell on top of hops and citrus. Not a bad smell.

A subtle sweetness in the beginning of this beers journey through my mouth is fairly pleasant. Maybe a toffee type flavour, nothing big, just semi sweet. Then... a bit of hop with a long alcohol burn, that reminds me of a cheap shot of hard liquor. Aftertaste is a clash of the bitterness and liquor.

Thin mouthfeel. Carbonation isn't bad but this doesn't feel like much of a beer in the mouth. Back of the mouth is left feeling sticky. Unimpressive in that facet.

Well I can't say that I like this one. It's my first Double IPA, but I feel fairly confident in saying that there must be better ones out there.

05-24-2005 02:59:12 | More by elricorico
unclejimbay

2.53/5  rDev -36.1%

Maximus
Lagunitas Brewing Company
Style: American Double / Imperial IPA
ABV: 7.50 %

This brew has a nice appearance with a light amber/copper color and textbook head/cap/retention. Smell is grapefruit hoppy goodness with a dash of pine to follow along with some sweet caramel malt notes.
Taste is hoppy with very strange but bitter foundation. The bitterness is quickly dominated by cloying caramel and malt sweetness. The sweet element is too much for me in this brew, I dont enjoy this part in the taste. The assertive sweet element and strange bitterness really was turn off for me. I enoy most IIPAs, but do not dig this one.

This element I dislike seems to remind me of Lagunitas "We Are Only In It For The Money" offering. Same strange turn off that I can not put my finger on.

I will not pursue Maximus again. I prefer a Hop Stoopid or Hairy Eyeball from Lagunitas any day!

02-01-2010 22:08:31 | More by unclejimbay
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.58/5  rDev -34.8%

Bottle. Really dissapointing. Just really tinny, rusty American hops, no length too the flavour. Typical pine/grapefruit. I guess i didn't like the metallic edge that most of the Lagunitas beers i've had seem to have, just really a really dissapointing brewery for me, i expected a bit more with this beer.

02-19-2005 11:03:43 | More by rastaman
PatYoda

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -34.3%

Another pretty poor double IPA. Perhaps I have been spoiled by beers like Dreadnaught, Hop Rod Rye, and 90 Minute. Either way, this is not good.

Appearance is hazy dark peach with a decent head that sticks around for a little while and leaves some lacing. Not impressive for a DIPA though. Smell is alcoholic (at 7.5%?). There are some grapefruity hops and caramel malt in the background.

The taste is very disappointing. At first it isn't bad, simply a little weak. The caramel malt and citrusy hops are there, though they are very subdued. There is a medicinal aspect as well. Then the finish is pure hop bitterness. It lingers for some time and makes the beer very hard to drink as a result. Very harsh. The alcohol is also there, but not nearly as noticeable as in the smell.

The mouthfeel is a tad thin for my liking. Overall, a bomber of this is difficult to finish.

02-03-2006 23:48:11 | More by PatYoda
yippieIPA

2.63/5  rDev -33.6%

22oz're into a pint glass.

A: pours a dark golden/amber color with not much head at all. (May have been a little too conservative of a pour on my behalf)

S: Deep hops and citurs odor,

T: Disappointing. I got a small hit of hops and kept waiting for it to keep coming... but alas, nothing. Then a strong soap taste hit my tongue out of nowhere.

M: Smooth, little carbination, but the soap taste made it oily to me.

D: I'll sit out the next round. The total lack of hops even for a regular IPA and the soapy taste really disappointed me. (I love the regular Lagunitas IPA, go figure)

01-10-2010 04:34:31 | More by yippieIPA
Star80

2.63/5  rDev -33.6%

ahh cracked the bottle and smells...stale. You know, I am in fix, do I ding the beer cause I got a stale sample? Do I not review it at all and wait and buy another in the future? Hmm, well, I spent my well earned dough on the this premium product, buyer beware I guess, but how do I know what I am getting? No date code,...color of bottle looks good, golden yellow. Beer smells, well faintly hoppy, but has that stale hop smells dominating. What could this be like fresher, some pine, some rich malt. The taste is well, again kinda stale hops, but still some lingering hop bitters, mouthfeel is rich, and this beer is pretty strong. So what a big disappointment. I guess it isn't totally the beers fault, but then again it is....

10-09-2010 02:44:09 | More by Star80
BMMillsy

2.66/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I must have gotten a bad bottle here, but gotta rate it. This was a real step back from their standard IPA. A strange beer without much bite and just not very good. Could mistake this for a poor pilsner.

This pours a hazy light gold with a medium sized white head. Aroma of hay and stale hops, not much sweetness. Flavor follows with dry, stale hops, a good bit of hay, nearly no sweetness, and an unpleasant finish. I'm not sure what happened with this one, and will have to revisit in the future.

02-15-2012 22:30:18 | More by BMMillsy
GolgiIPAratus

2.68/5  rDev -32.3%

** Inaugural Review **

After many beers tried, this is my first attempt at a review. So, without further ado, here goes:

Sampled: 2.22.05

22 oz. / 1 pint 6 oz Bomber bought at Downtown Wine & Spirits in Davis Square, Somerville for $5.20

Poured into a wide mouthed glass, a thin head formed. I believe it was a head anyway. After a swirl, the liquid did indeed froth up, but nothing remarkable. I thought maybe I might have had a carbonation issue on my hands, however that was not the case. The brew itself was a clear amber orange. Not unattractive by any means, but not what I look for in an IPA, especially a good double. I want to be looking into at least a slight haze. Minimal lacing left on the glass while drinking.

Getting a whiff of the beer certainly lifted my hopes again. A sweet aroma, both hop ridden and fruity like your standard of the style. No particular scents grabbed me, or stuck out to set it apart from any other brews however.

And now the important part, the taste. First sip offered a slight sweet burst up front, with a bitter end as it ran down the gullet. As the brew warmed over time, the sweetness seemed higher in the mouth than it did in the nose and offered a high carbonated mouthfeel. A little heavy, but with Double IPAs, it should be expected. And despite the heaviness, this one was all hops, not much maltiness to speak of.

The drinkability of this beer is questionable, in my opinion. I was ready to quit 3/4 through the bomber, but I soldiered on. Turns really bitter as you go further through the label. And I drank it slowly over a few pours.

Overall, I was disappointed. For the price of a bottle and the effort I'm sure they put into brewing such a niche style, I expect better.

***
Finally, this is a spot I'll reserve for beers I don't find as satisfying. My personal suggestions/opinion if you're looking for a better example of the style:

Smuttynose - Big A IPA (More malty & fruity, than hoppy)
Victory - Hop Wallop (Way more hoppy than malty)

02-24-2005 21:16:27 | More by GolgiIPAratus
imagese

2.68/5  rDev -32.3%

A- hazy golden with minimal head and zero lacing

S- Astringent citrus with sweet malt

T- Very quick bitterness but the malt comes in too fast to distinguish any type of hop flavor

M- By far the best part of this beer. The high IBU is noticeable on the tongue.

D- I can finish the 12oz bottle, but not going to rush to pour another.

This is not the first time I've had this, but either my tastes have changed, or this bottle has started to turn. Wish there was a bottling date. I will try this again down the road to see how I feel about it then

12-24-2010 07:12:42 | More by imagese
Mitchster

2.73/5  rDev -31.1%

OK, if a bottle has a picture of a dog on it, it automatically gets a point taken off. Thankfully, Lagunitas opted to go for the plain white label with this one, though I am about willing to take a point off for the stupid, wanna-be clever diatribe on the back of the bottle.
OG=1.080, 72.41 IBU, 7.5% ABV.

Slightly cloudy orange brew forms a nice-sized white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is pungent with grapefruit, sharp citric hops, with cloaked, faint suggestions of oranges, apples, and toasty grains. Carbonation is moderate. Taste begins with over the top citric hops with semisweet pale and crystal malts, followed by a lightly toasted, intensely bitter dry finish. This is an example of dumping a ton of hops into a brew and calling it an IPA, throwing balance and drinkability to the wind. The dry mouthfeel and overzealous acidity give me a bad case of reflux, but at least the zesty burps make up for it. Typical West-Coast over the top hop taste, but absolutely horrible drinkability.

If they spent as much time on their brewing as they did on their prose, they might be able to eek a winner out of this train-wreck of a beer.

06-22-2003 17:02:17 | More by Mitchster
Nektar-der-Gotter

2.74/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Ok, this was the first DIPA I have ever tried. Maybe it is an acquired taste as for me, someone that normally drinks bocks/ales in the cooler months and hefeweizen/lagers in the wamer months, this just tasted...rank.

I cracked open the bottle acquired from the San Mateo BevMo and poured it out into a glass to enjoy with my In N Out Double Double Animal Style and Fries. Just to make sure the food didn't taint the tasting experience I made sure to take several tastes of the beer prior to chowing down. As mentioned this was my first DIPA, and I have had Lagunitas IPA many times and really enjoyed it, so this was a big disappointment. The taste uncomfortably hinted at stomach acid. Being loathe to waste beer, I willed myself to finish the bottle, but I was happy to be done with it.

Note that I did try Pliny the Elder the following day (right at the source, on tap, in Russian River's Brewpub in Santa Rosa) and didn't find it much better, so I can only assume that I skew towards the malty side of beer preference.

Almost any beer I had while in Germany (kolsch, lager, bock, weizen) kicks this beers ass.

05-06-2013 04:12:38 | More by Nektar-der-Gotter
lostbearbrew

Georgia

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Admittedly, I am not a fan of most of Lagunitas products I have already tried. I seriously tried to approach this beer with an open mind, as many have told me it is an excellent DIPA. I poured the 22 oz bomber into my pint glass (most of the bomber, anyway) and noted a light copper color, with reddish hues. Very little lacing after an offwhite 1/2" head.

Aromas wafting up into my nose- major grapefruity smell, not really citrusy - flat out grapefruit, with a little pine to follow, plus a sweet malty smell, way down in there. Not bad as an aroma goes, but wish there was more piney aroma up front.

First sip was a hard hitting hops attack to the tongue, but not to my liking, despite being a hophead and DIPA fan first and foremost. I guess I'm just not a fan of the way Lagunitas does their hopping. The taste seemed like someone dumped grapefruit juice into my beer, just like thier IPA. Only now, it is much more juice, to make it a double. Just not my deal. No real balance in the middle of the sip and the end left my tongue dry, almost scratchy feeling - a grassy ending.

Mouthfeel - well, let's just say it wasn't the best. Thumper's rule, after all. But hell, this is a review, and I should be brutally honest, right. Mouthfeel was really light for a DIPA in body, and flavor was so overly hoppy (and not with hops I care for) that I didn't really enjoy my beer the way I had hoped I would.

Drinkability - As a single IPA it would be ok, although too high in alc%age. Still, not real drinkable for me, as it wasn't my type of DIPA.

07-21-2005 17:39:59 | More by lostbearbrew
brian44556

Kentucky

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Russian River "tion" glass. Couldn't find any dating on the bottle.

Pours a dark honey color and a 1/2 finger head forms, but is gone with the blink of an eye. A nice sporadic lacing is left around the sides of the glass. I smell apricots, bitter hops, grassy notes, and alcohol. I taste notes of malt, malt, and more malt. I catch a bitter backbone from the hops, but this one isn't very balanced. This beer isn't very crisp and the carbonation is just ok. Overall this beer just doesn't do it for me. I would say DIPA is my favorite style and this is trailing way behind the rest of the class.

08-31-2011 16:16:18 | More by brian44556
Birdmarg741

Maryland

2.81/5  rDev -29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A: pours a very nice deep gold clear liquid with a nice head with substantial retention. A very attractive beer in appearance.

S: strong scent. Floral hops with grass and pine wood-chips. Impossible to ignore, it makes you excited for the first sip.

T: falls incredibly far from expectations. A strong soapy taste dominates the whole experience. Sweet and sour flavors taste stale (and this bottle is well within date of freshness) and rancid. It blends right into the bitterness that you want from the hops, but the flavors never separate out, ruining the whole mouth. Not impressed.

M: medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: again, despite the Lagunitas hype- really not impressed. While the alcohol content is well masked, this beer is unbalanced and overpowering in a way that lingers.

12-21-2013 22:47:26 | More by Birdmarg741
trep

West Virginia

2.83/5  rDev -28.5%

Very clear orange, a little carbonation and an off-white head that fades quickly to leave merely a fringe around the outside of the glass.

Damp socks, orange peel, and alcohol. I suspect already that this may be a bad and/or lightstruck bottle.

Very bitter, not really any citrus or floral hops. Just bitter. I think this might be an English IIPA. I know that's not really a style but it's what first comes to mind. Alcohol is there, and some honey.

Mouthfeel is quite good. Medium/Light body and appropriate carbonation. Not super easy drinking. Super bitter and kind of tough to get down tbh.

06-30-2006 05:40:07 | More by trep
ewpgolf2

2.85/5  rDev -28%

I've tried a few Lagunitas' recently but nothing could prepare me for this! I now know why I like the Belgian darks.
This poured an ultra clear beautiful burnt orange tint w/ a dissipating head. Quite odd considering the glass was sterile and the ale was cold-couldn't find a fresh date anywhere.
The smell was almost odoriferous with a tinge hint of machine oil. Hops "a-plentiful" in the bouquet alone.
The taste was extremely sharp and bitter. If you can get through the initial hoppiness, there's a very good taste behind it all. The hops diminish towards the end allowing you to enjoy some of the hidden background flavors. Mouthfeel is difficult to describe but I'll try. Imagine having 10 cotton balls in your mouth soaked in tincture methiolade and crushed aspirin<<best I could do!
Even though I was a little rough on this one I can see myself trying another some day. This is definitely a one bottle/sitting DIPA.
On second thought, after finishing this, I would probably pass on consuming again.
If you can work through the bitters, there's a decent beverage underneath.

04-19-2008 22:54:31 | More by ewpgolf2
zbuc919

2.85/5  rDev -28%

This is a different one...

Poured out and it looked like an IPA, smelled it, didn't smell like an IPA. It kinda smells like raisins or some weird grape-y type smell. The taste is not an IPA taste, it's got some bitter sting to it and an interesting malt backbone. To me it doesn't taste like an IPA, and it's not that tasty of a beer. I appreciate a brewer trying to push the style in a direction different from the norm, but for me this one doesn't get it done.

If you are into more malty less hoppy IPA styles, you might enjoy giving it a whirl.

06-12-2011 02:54:46 | More by zbuc919
Ryan011235

Poured into a snifter on 7/11/12

Deep, clear tangerine/orange hue. A two finger head falls quickly, leaving a thinner layer of soapy foam and some drippy lace.

The aroma is grapefruit, pine, sprinkles of lemon zest, doughy sugar cookie and sweet bread. An air of alcohol is present throughout. Tropical notes become more apparent as the beer warms.

Dank hop notes of bitter citrus and pine take hold of the palate. While there is a fair amount of hop grit, overall bitterness is kept in check. Malts are stronger than I prefer, but aren't too distracting because they have a dry cracker flavor as opposed to, say, caramel. Some alcohol, too.

The body isn't particularly heavy; the it's more of a medium feel than a full feel. That said, the oily hops mix with alcohol slickness making the perceived feel dense than it truly is. Carbonation is a hair on the low side of average; it's puffy.

I'm surprised the alcohol is as apparent as it is. Not too shabby overall, but a few tweaks in the appreciable alcohol department could make it considerably better.

07-30-2012 05:07:34 | More by Ryan011235
RBorsato

2.88/5  rDev -27.3%

Hazy golden color with a large pillowy beige head. This one was overcarbonated and left clumps of lace ... tons of sediment on bottom of bottle. Flowery, piney, sprucey hop aroma dominates and you can tell by the aroma to prepare for bitterness. All hop (pine, spruce) flavor with little malt character to balance -- very bitter! Seems light bodied due to carbonation and has an intense bitter finish.

I've had before and noted then that this one is very bitter all around... not my type of brew but drink fresh if having again (which I prob will since my wife loves it)...

Per label: "Unlimited Release", 72.41 IBU, 1.080 O.G.

Purchased: 02/14/03 ('02' Emb on bottom)
Tasted: 07/27/04