Maximus - Lagunitas Brewing Company

MaximusMaximus

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maximus Alström Bros

BEERschlitz, Oct 27, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

blbarnett3, Oct 27, 2013
3.51/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance doesn't matter much to me

Smell left anticipating something sweet and malty

Taste was a bit of a let down. I perfer a more dry, hop foward ipa. This is the opposite, very malty and overly sweet. If I had to imagine fermented prunes or raisins, this would be it.

Mouthfeel was heavy

Overall I wouldn't seek this out again. It's just too sweet, but for someone who enjoys this type of beer, it's a good example.

whitehm, Oct 26, 2013

StubFaceJoe, Oct 26, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

pintofparadise, Oct 26, 2013

brheuer, Oct 25, 2013

UncleNeighborChris, Oct 25, 2013
3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

smell is fruit, citrus, hops but not a bomb in any of those smells

piny hops dominate, but not as much as I was expecting from a DIPA called MAXIMUS

not as bitter as I expected either by its name

very smooth mouthfeel

I believe I have come to expect something else from a DIPA than this but it was extremely easy to drink.

This to to me seems to fall somewhere between an IPA and a DIPA.

I prefer Hop Stoopid over this one but I would buy and drink this again if I'm in the mood for a lighter tasting hoppy beer.

Not disappointing

One thumb up, not two.

JG_Pena, Oct 25, 2013
4.41/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Agressuve pour from 12oz bottle into a tulip that left a huge 3in head that took it's time to settle down and left some nice lacing on the glass. Color is golden, fairly clear.

Aroma is pine and citrus -- nice dank hops

Taste is dominated by citrus fruits, namely grapefruit, nice malty sweetness hits you a bit before a bitter finish

Mouthfeel - nice strong carbonation and great medium body, so smooth and drinkable

Overall - this has to be one of the best value DIPA's out there, I love this beer

maxcoinage, Oct 24, 2013

canders0927, Oct 23, 2013

Mantooth, Oct 22, 2013

twenteone, Oct 22, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +17.9%

12oz Bottle with freshness date poured into Lagunitas mason jar.

A: A darker IPA, honey colored, with a lighter 2 finger off-white head that retains with great lacing.

S: Dank, ripe hops float up my nose and straight into my brain. Great smelling brew. Evergreen, pungent hops, maybe a little breadiness.

T: Hops right off the bat. Smack you in the face strong. Malt in the middle comes through for a great balance and leaves you with a clean but hoppy finish begging you to drink more.

M: Carbonation is medium, but clean and crisp mouthfeel leaves no complaints. About as full-bodied as an IIPA can get.

Overall, Lagunitas is really turning stereotypes upside down by producing a west coast IIPA that is adequately malty and balanced, but still deliciously hoppy. At a slightly lower ABV and price point than other highly touted IIPA's (Dogfish Head 90min, Myrcenary to name two of my favs) this makes a valid argument for being the one I stock regularly in my fridge for its benefits to my wallet and its drinkability.

laglocal, Oct 21, 2013

billybob, Oct 20, 2013

Michael_M, Oct 20, 2013

BTVflatlander, Oct 20, 2013

Brianito, Oct 19, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I can't find anything wrong with this one, personally. I was tempted to give 5/5 on everything, but that would just make me look like the noob that perhaps I am, and to say that I haven't found or won't find a better beer than this - well that's just crazy talk. Call me optimistic.

I poured a Pint 6oz bottle into a tall glass. Maximus has pretty much everything I crave, and then some. My only initial hesitation with the flavor was the slightly stronger maltiness than I'm used to, but I quickly got used to it. The nice alcoholic grapefruit finish feels great in the mouth. The amount of hops is just right. I had the opportunity to compare 5 IPA/DIPA's this week. Anderson's Hop Ottin', Stone Ruination, Stone IPA, Stone Arrogant Bastard (which may or may not technically be an IPA), and this one. This was my favorite of the 5. I went back and purchased another bottle the next day.

This will be a go-to for me from now on.

Cramletram, Oct 19, 2013
4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 8/3/2013. Pours moderately cloudy golden orange color with a 2 finger dense and rocky off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, lemon zest, pineapple, tangerine, orange zest, floral, pine, light caramel, and floral earthiness. Fantastic aromas with great complexity of hop notes with a moderate malt balance; and great strength. Taste of grapefruit, lemon zest, tangerine, pineapple, orange zest, floral, grass, light pine, light caramel, and floral earthiness. Fair amount of earthy pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, citrus zest, pineapple, floral, light pine, light caramel, and floral earthiness on the finish for a while. Damn nice complexity of citrus/floral hop flavors with a moderate malt balance; and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy, smooth, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent DIPA! All around great complexity and balance of hop and moderate malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to sip on the for the ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

superspak, Oct 19, 2013