Maximus - Lagunitas Brewing Company

MaximusMaximus

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maximus Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,455 | Hads: 5,018
2.6/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy copper colour with a thin cream coloured head. The head fades to a couple of puddles on top, but leaves some lacing.

Smell is fairly sweet, almost a molasses type of smell on top of hops and citrus. Not a bad smell.

A subtle sweetness in the beginning of this beers journey through my mouth is fairly pleasant. Maybe a toffee type flavour, nothing big, just semi sweet. Then... a bit of hop with a long alcohol burn, that reminds me of a cheap shot of hard liquor. Aftertaste is a clash of the bitterness and liquor.

Thin mouthfeel. Carbonation isn't bad but this doesn't feel like much of a beer in the mouth. Back of the mouth is left feeling sticky. Unimpressive in that facet.

Well I can't say that I like this one. It's my first Double IPA, but I feel fairly confident in saying that there must be better ones out there. (850 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -52.7%

Serving: 22 ounce bomber, $2.79 at Safeway, into "beer clean" bell pint glass.

Pours a filtered clear medium orange. A vigorous pour results in some orange-tinted white head, but it quickly dispreses. VERY clear filtered medium orange color, tiny bubbles moving up.

Smell: pretty limited, slightly sweet, hint of metallic/flat smell. No hops noticeable.

Taste: initial taste is of malty sweet amber, hints of honey, present bitterness, like a British bitter. Minimal hop flavor (if this were a blind tasting, I would probably think this was an amber or a strong bitter style, maybe a sweet, slightly hopped Red.) Really, for a beer sold as a Double IPA, this is super disappointing. I wouldn't be happy with it as a single IPA, and would barely even accept it as a basic APA. And it wouldn't be a good beer for any of these styles. Blah!

Where are the label-advertised "72.41" IBUs? Got me. There are almost no hops present here at all.

Mouthfeel: medium to low carbonation, sweet, tangy mouth, most of the mouth is of sweetness and some slight alcohol warmth.

Overall, I'm sad to report that this is another profoundly mediocre offering from Lagunitas, which has great marketing and distribution (here in Northern California, at least), but way less than average beers. Better than macroswill, sure, but not by much, and doesn't hold a candle to many other widely available beers. (1,404 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Maximus pours a cloudy amber to orange hue with lots of bubbles spouting up from the bottom of my big red wine glass. That being said, the beer is undercarbonated. When I see "Maximus" IPA as the label states in big capital letters, I think hoppy, aggressive and awsome. Sadly this brew is not up to par with its competition. It's far from a hop monster and there is an astringent character to the bitterness that it has. If Lagunitas took the ABV down to 6.5%, this might become a decent single IPA. (500 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

Yeasty dark tangerine with a huge, dense cap of lightly orange-accented beige that has a fine-grained, finely pitting surface. It's already an attractive looking beer and I haven't even seen any lace yet. As the head begins its descent, a nearly solid sheet of lace appears on the glass. Splendid.

The nose is aromatic and consists of bright, juicy citrus zest and sweet pine. I would have said IPA rather than DIPA though. It isn't quite assertive enough for the bigger style.

Maximus is hoppy, but not as hoppy as expected after tasting this brewery's IPA. The flavor profile is sweet and rounded rather than bright and pungent. Candied white grapefruit, ripe peaches in heavy syrup and sticky pine sap lead the way. The hop bill is made up of Cascade, Liberty and Emperor. There's plenty of cake-like malt on hand to provide a rock solid structure that could handle a bigger hop load than it has been given.

The finish is less fruity and more piney with a lingering bittersweet sappiness. The body is on the full side of medium, no more. Although this isn't one of the thicker, chewier DIPAs, it feels fine in the mouth all the same. I can appreciate a subtle hint of alcohol once the beer leaves the mouth, but I don't know that I would have noticed without looking for it.

I was expecting great things from Maximus after being impressed by its little brother Minimus (actual name: Lagunitas IPA). Oddly enough, the DIPA tastes less hoppy than the IPA. Since it favors the tamer end of the style spectrum, Maximus is probably a good entry-level Double IPA for those with an interest in the style. (1,604 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

I picked this up because I was in the mood for an extremely hopped beer. With a name like Maximus it has to be amazing. Nope. It is good but not as good as I imagined.

Poured a light copper with off white head that left quick and left no (0) lacing.
Aroma was citrusy hops less pine and a hint of malt. ???
Taste was then hoppy but not the typical piney flavor. More citrusy and a touch of pine.
Mouthfeel good. A little thinner than I like in a big IPA.
Drinkability was very good. I finished off the 22oz bottle in record time.

Overall if you want a big IPA, the title is misleading. THis aint it. If you want something different in an IPA (more citrus than pine, but still a decent mix), then this is it. (717 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

05/07/05- Purchased at Bevmo in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber with no dates, poured into my Stone IPA tulip.

Appearance- Great orange-yellow color with a huge while chunky head with tons of sticky lacing.

Smell- Sweet hoppy smell mostly. A pine of pine, but lots of grapefruit.

Taste- This one is mostly fruity hops rather than resinous pine hops. Bitter, but in a sweeter fruity way. Hefty grapefruit taste, with a decent malt base. Well balanced brew.

Mouthfeel- Moderate carbonation and a heavier mouthfeel due to the sweetness of the beer.

Drinkability- Polished off a bomber over half a movie last night. Extremely tasty beer and a great one if you like your bitterness from a fruity side rather than a pine needle forest. Definitely the best value for a bomber I have had to date ($2.99). Go out and grab some today. (850 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.1%

Picked this growler up at St. Mark's Market in New york along with some others. Was excited to taste an IPA to the max.

The color was amazing, autumn in a glass, orange copper color. Thick head that was very chunky. Great lacing. stuck to the glass til the way down.

The smell was very citrusy, almost apricot.

Tasted pumped up. Super hops and great clean finish. Only bad thing was that it knocked me out at 7.5%

A little tough to drink because of the high alcohol content but all and all a strong IPA. Definitely a bit of a different approach to IPA- stronger and very bitter IBU 72.41. If you like IPA,s you should try this one out. Doggone Good. (662 characters)

Pours a copper and amber mixture with an amazing amount of yeasties suspended in the liquid. Dull white head with some serious lace on the glass.
Aroma of tea leaves, grass and a citrus hop profile.
Flavor of caramel and toffee with some bready undertones on a bed of citrus, resin and tea-like hops.
Mouthfeel is smooth to start moving to a solid rising bitterness to counteract the sweetness present.
Drinkability is very solid. Excellent flavors and transitions but really somewhat mellower than I expected. (514 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

From warriorsoul, this came in a 22 oz. brown bomber with a paragraph of musings on the edge of the label. The beer was poured into my trusty tulip, and looked very nice, with an orange body that contained a touch of haze. The head was perfectly proportioned at two fingers thick with a rocky, foamy, creamy appearance. Patches of clumpy lace clung to the side of the glass as the beer was consumed.

The aroma was grassy and herbal, and not as overwhelmingly hoppy as I had presumed it would be. The alcohol was poking its head through the hops as well.

The taste was where the hops showed up in a more assertive way. The bitterness was up front and center, but as the tongue adjusted, biscuit like caramel malt made an appearance. The finish was grapefruit and floral with a peppery tang.

Medium mouthfeel was closer to a single IPA than a DIPA I think. The body lacked the heft that other beers from the style typically possess. Nonetheless, the beer was mouth coating and satisfying. Aftertaste was bitter and dry, but a little short lived. Definitely a notch above the run of the mill IPA, and very drinkable, but not quite a DIPA (1,143 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice copper-colored brew, thick head of dense tan bubbles. Scant carbonation. Nice lacing effects.

Hops are in the nose, as well as...latex paint? It's crisp but there's an unpleasant undertone to this.

Taste is potent, that's for sure. Hoppy with alcoholic heat. Think SN Pale with a pinch of Everclear. Can't find much beyond the hops and the heat.

Slightly oily mouthfeel and an aftertaste that smacks of leftover hops and alcohol. Not bad but my money's on Stone's representation of this style. (507 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%

hazy coppery amber with a thick, sticky light tan head that laces well. very flowery sweet hop aroma. a little bit of pine lies under a malty slightly caramel aroma. the overall smell is a little weak, despite what i pick up being rather good. lots of herbal hop flavor, with a building grapefruit and pine character as the beer warms. sweet caramel malts show up most strongly in the aftertaste. there is a very faint taste of something almsot like cotton candy as well. lots of carbonation and a medium mouthfeel. good drinkability, it's pretty easy to pour the last drops out of the bomber and say "already?" given the current state of american IPAs and double IPAs, this beer would make a very good IPA, but only makes for a pretty good double. (748 characters)

having just tried the incredible lagunitas ipa, i expected something even greater. like a concentrated, more flavorful version of this solid ipa winner..

pours a transparent orange with a healthy head. no carbonation in the body. smells strongly of fresh hops. sweet and similar in nose to the IPA. hoppy and very bitter flavor. light in the mouth though, and too drinkable for a double ipa. for my money, i want more than just bitterness.. i want viscosity, kick, and complexity. its not here.

no aftertaste, seems to be a lagunitas special trait. wont buy again. (570 characters)

An all-around enjoyable beer. Typical IPA appearance, medium copper color with a cream colored head. Decent head formation and retention. Fresh hop notes in the aroma backed by a bit of malt sweetness. Peppery and citrus notes accompany the bitterness on the palate, all balanced by a decent caramel-twinged malt backbone. Paired with a solid mouthfeel and a healthy dose of carbonation, it conjures up hop burps in a hurry. A pleasure to drink, I'll buy more someday. (468 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -30.8%

** Inaugural Review **

After many beers tried, this is my first attempt at a review. So, without further ado, here goes:

Sampled: 2.22.05

22 oz. / 1 pint 6 oz Bomber bought at Downtown Wine & Spirits in Davis Square, Somerville for $5.20

Poured into a wide mouthed glass, a thin head formed. I believe it was a head anyway. After a swirl, the liquid did indeed froth up, but nothing remarkable. I thought maybe I might have had a carbonation issue on my hands, however that was not the case. The brew itself was a clear amber orange. Not unattractive by any means, but not what I look for in an IPA, especially a good double. I want to be looking into at least a slight haze. Minimal lacing left on the glass while drinking.

Getting a whiff of the beer certainly lifted my hopes again. A sweet aroma, both hop ridden and fruity like your standard of the style. No particular scents grabbed me, or stuck out to set it apart from any other brews however.

And now the important part, the taste. First sip offered a slight sweet burst up front, with a bitter end as it ran down the gullet. As the brew warmed over time, the sweetness seemed higher in the mouth than it did in the nose and offered a high carbonated mouthfeel. A little heavy, but with Double IPAs, it should be expected. And despite the heaviness, this one was all hops, not much maltiness to speak of.

The drinkability of this beer is questionable, in my opinion. I was ready to quit 3/4 through the bomber, but I soldiered on. Turns really bitter as you go further through the label. And I drank it slowly over a few pours.

Overall, I was disappointed. For the price of a bottle and the effort I'm sure they put into brewing such a niche style, I expect better.

***
Finally, this is a spot I'll reserve for beers I don't find as satisfying. My personal suggestions/opinion if you're looking for a better example of the style:

Smuttynose - Big A IPA (More malty & fruity, than hoppy)
Victory - Hop Wallop (Way more hoppy than malty) (2,027 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -33.8%

Bottle. Really dissapointing. Just really tinny, rusty American hops, no length too the flavour. Typical pine/grapefruit. I guess i didn't like the metallic edge that most of the Lagunitas beers i've had seem to have, just really a really dissapointing brewery for me, i expected a bit more with this beer. (306 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

Did a victory lap in my chariot with this one on 2/15/2005. 1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bomber poured twice in a shaker glass.

Comely, virile inch of fluff with big and small that settles to a laconic peak and valley scene. Deep golden hue with a touch of orange coming to play; a bit of haze and almost no discernible action. Frank hop burnish on nose with side notes of peach, cotton candy, and a whiff of licorice. Fine bite of concentrated hop on mouth, but a very liquid feel, not overly caustic or head-crushing; floral notes of rose hip and sumac pull through. Evenly drinkable; more so than other extreme IPAs. (609 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

22oz bottle. Pours an orange color with a moderate head that falls fast and leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma is not as hoppy as expected - more malts than expected. The flavor has a caramel malt presence but it also has a dirty hop flavor that I don't care much for. The mouthfeel and drinkability are ok, but not wonderful. (338 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

What a surprise to find this now available up here in Alberta, we're starting to become a two-horse town now for imported craft beer selection, more choice while heading off into the sunset.

And that's exactly what the appearance of this double IPA from Lagunitas reminds me of, the clear coppery glow of Autumn twilight, capped with a thin layer of creamy, off-white clouds. Sticky patches of lacing around the glass left to pull me out of my revery and remind me that it is still winter at this point, and snowing.

Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber, a little black and white gumshoe dick blurb on the side of the label for those who are of the sort that pay attention to the fine print. Yet the aroma is rather mild than what I was expecting for a double IPA, it is mellow and flowery, with notes of sweet toasted malt. Nicely balanced, but subdued. It gains sharp citrus/herbal notes here and there the more that it warms.

The flavour of the hops almost pinches at the throat with herbal astringency at first, gone are the mellow flowers of the aroma, and they set up camp and plan on staying as far as a lingering aftertaste is concerned. That's my first impression of the taste. The more I drink it, the more I pick up the sweet chewy malt that hangs on for the ride as boy wonder side-kick status, a ward to the hops. Grapefruit rind starts to make an appearance near the finish, with a little pine for companionship. The flavour seems to balance out more as it warms as well, or perhaps the palate just becomes more accustomed to what's going on in the end--after all, it's a bomber, we have a ways to go here. Over the course of this review the taste rating has gone from a 3.5 to a 4.0, not a large leap, but a steady progression. This is an ale that seems to unravel itself in stages. Near the end everything seems to balance out. Sweet bready malt at first, with hops steadily progressing from that point and picking up momentum towards the finish. Time is the great equalizer after all.

The mouthfeel is just gorgeous for such a hopped up concoction, smooth and velvety, with a slight oily texture on the aftertaste. They definitely got this right.

Still, I'm not craving another one. I enjoyed what I sampled, but it's not enough to drag me back immediately for another one. I enjoy my hops these days, but I'm no junkie. It's no Stone Ruination, or even Tree's Hophead to get more local. All the same, I am still very happy to see more American micros available in this local market. (2,514 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to clvand0 for sharing this with me. It pours a hazy orange color with a finger and a half of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is not what I expected. Its almost like there is a grainey quality in there. The hops are secondary to the caramel and grainey malts. The flavor is just okay as well. The dirty, slightly spicey hop and heavy caramel and slightly grainey malts are well balanced. I just don't like it all that much. The feel is very full and slightly creamy. Overall, I would pass this one up in favor of many other outstanding Double IPAs out there. Its not bad, but could definately be improved in my book. (634 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Has an iced tea apple juice color, clear, with an inch head that dissipated with limited lacing, and moderate carbination.
A light cereal caramel malt aroma, with resin grapefruit hops, and hints of butterscotch.
A lightly sweet, moderately acidic, and lightly bitter toasted caramel malt flavor; with moderate hops of resin, grapefruit, and lime; and hints of cola.
Mouthfeel has a light to medium body, dry slightly syrupy texture, soft lively carbonation, and a metallic finish.
Very drinkable beer in the session mold. (526 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Eh, not much to say here. Worth a try, but probably only once. Nothing special, but worth a shot. Nice hopiness to it, but nothing close to being worth-y of the name Maximus. Too much hype, not enough behind it.

Definitely try it, but only pick up one bottle, that will be all you need. (290 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to Downtown Wine & Spirits in Somerville for keeping these on hand.
Pours a fairly dark copper w/ a finger & half of creamy white head. It disappears fairly quickly w/ minimal lace. The beer is not hazy at all....looks like a typical IPA.
The smell is mostly carbonation at first w/ not many flavors jumping out at me....hints of honey, buttery citrus and spice peaking out.
The taste is very nice...a sweet malty flavor w/ floral hops by its side. A bitter aftertaste that leaves a very attractive taste in my mouth. I'll admit, I was expecting a bunch more from this brew...not really "Maximus" but a very excellent beer nonetheless. I should try not to have such high expectations from Double IPA's, but w/ so many out there like Stone Ruination and Victory Hop Wallup, I can't help myself. I would drink this beer any day of the week...just wish it came in 6-packs and not the 22oz. bombers. Either way, the mouthfeel is incredible and the drinkability is off the charts.
A great first experience for Lagunitas. Thanks! (1,034 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%

Orange in color with a two finger head. The lasted a bit, but reduced to a surface foam with large bubbles. Light lacing developed. The aroma was weaker than expected as only some mellow pine and sweetness were detected.The flavor of a decent balance of malt and piney bitterness, but the citrus tones were too sour. Alcohol was slightly noticeable too.

The mouthfeel crisp at the start and finish. The syrupy texture of the malt last on the tongue after swallowing. Medium bodied. Not a bad brew, but the citric sourness knocked this down a bit. (550 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +9.9%

Clear copper color with a 1 inch cream colored head that clings as a lace to side of the glass as it’s tipped. Great piney, grassy smell from the hops along with a caramel overtone. The taste has an awakening bitterness from the hops. More pronounced flower character in the taste and more malt than I originally expected. It has a bright, slick mouth feel and a great drinkability. I was under whelmed with Lagunitas’ standard IPA offering. It was good, but not great. This is definitely a cut above that offering. (517 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful golden copper color with a frothy white head that just looks delicious and leaves a nice lace. Aromas are a mix of spicy and earthy hops along with some citrus like aromas and a mix of bread. Flavors start off with malty with a nice sweet caramel tone followed by bread like flavors and some earthy and citrusy hops. The body throughout this brew is fairly creamy and full, and the finish to this brew is simply excellent with a really nice citrusy, spicy, bitter finish. Overall I would tend to see this more like an IPA than an Imperial but the flavors are worth it either way.. A nice offering by Lagunitas and the first one I've ever tried. (662 characters)

Maximus from Lagunitas Brewing Company