Maximus - Lagunitas Brewing Company

MaximusMaximus

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maximus Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

12 fl. oz., poured into a pint glass.

At a recent trip to a brewery, I purchased a pair of pint glasses. They don’t weigh as much as my other pint glasses, but I find that when drinking for extended periods, it’s much easier on the old elbow. Plus, it was fun breaking them in. and now, a new beer to try for my new pint glass…

A: Good color, good carbonation, good head – great combination. The beer is IPA colored – that is to say it’s a beautiful golden amber in color, and it bubbles quite nicely. A fairly aggressive pour produces a 2 cm wheat-colored head that doesn’t last too long, but leaves a nice lace on the sides of the glass. Intriguing, to say the least.

S: This is how I expect a really good Double IPA to smell – really good. It’s sweet up front, giving off a dark fruit aroma, one of raisins or prunes, with a roasted malt character teaming up with it. Don’t get me wrong; the hops are representin’, as my people say. It smells of citrus hops; I’m trying to detect any pine hops, but I’m not finding any. This beer smells nice. I’m guardedly optimistic here.

T: I taste, and - - - I’m rewarded. This is a damn good tasting beer. I’ve got hops up front, throwing orange at me. I have dark fruit, more prune than raisin, I have roasted malt… I’m one happy dude at this point. There is a bit of astringency to it, but I was kind of expecting that, and I’m not in the least disappointed with this beer. It’s good on taste.

M: Really good, I could be talked into very good without much resistance. It’s full-bodied, well-carbonated, washes over the palate with a good variety of interesting flavors, and leaves a dry, hoppy finish. My mouth will certainly remember this experience.

O: It’s a well-crafted beer; everything seems to have been well thought out. From its color, to its balance of smells and flavors, to how almost perfectly it was carbonated, it is one solid beer. I will be adding this to my rotation, to be sure. This would have been perfect with pasta; too bad my stomach’s fighting me, or I’d have made that happen.

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

A- Pours a pretty clear copper/orange with 1.5 fingers creamy light tan head with good lacing. Looks very nice.

S- Sweet caramel malt comes through more than the hops. A little bit floral with some bready/biscuit qualities in there.

T- Again a little more caramel sweet taste but a bit more balanced than the smell. Some hop character comes through and gives it a bitter finish.

M- Smooth creamy medium body with a bit of a bitter dry finish. Medium carbonation.

O- I like it but not as much as other Lagunitas IPA's. I especially like their regular IPA and "Lagunitas Sucks" and this just doesn't stack up to them in my book. Just don't love the hop profile and malt forwardness.

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz bottle, pours bright orange/copper with a thin white head that leaves a little lacing on the glass. Aromas are fruity, floral hops, grapefruit, rubbing alcohol. Tastes are similar to aromas - fruity hops with juicy grapefruit, overly boozy with some caramel notes. Mouth-feel is medium bodied with modest carbonation. Overall, it's good but not a favorite of mine. I do like the juicy fruitiness of the hops, hence the 4's for aroma and taste.

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

355ml bottle poured into a 16oz tulip.

A - Pours with a nice little head of bubbly, off-white foam. The color is a glowing amber-orange hue; looks nice. The head recedes to a thin film and ring, that leaves behind patches of spotty lacing. Gotta love the bottle design too.

S - Big caramel malt sweetness backed with a ton of piney hop presence. A touch of grapefruit, but not a lot of tropical or citrusy character to it. Distinctly West Coast, but nothing particularly exciting.

T - The flavor here is done quite well, with a nice balance of piney hops and caramel malt. The profile really feels well put together, with flavors complimenting one another and not fighting for supremacy. Although I get lots of piney and slightly citrusy hops, there's a lot of toasty caramel malt to add sweetness and balance, with a touch of honey in there too. The finish is a lingering bitterness with minimal alcohol warmth. A very simple but affective West Coast DIPA here.

M - This is where this beer shows a little unique character. The body feels much smoother and much less syrupy than typical DIPAs. The medium body is well carbonated with really fine, smooth carbonation. While a lot of DIPAs feel prickly, syrupy, and a little hot, this one keeps all of these qualities to a minimum.

D - A solid all around DIPA that's easy to drink and tasty to do so. While this brew doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel, it stands as a good reference for exactly what this style represents. Very drinkable and nicely balanced; well done Lagunitas!

Maximus from Lagunitas Brewing Company