Maximus - Lagunitas Brewing Company

MaximusMaximus

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maximus Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +2%

Pours a fairly weak copper color, but with some very nice head and lacing. Huge citrus hop flavor, covers about everything else, but it's very nice and balanced hop-wise. Huge hop flavor, too, mostly citrus to begin with, a slight pine in the middle, and a nice mix at the end; has a slightly butterscotch/caramal flavor. Goes down really well for a higher ABV and hopped up beer.

JamesS, Apr 14, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

Transparent light caramel color with white frothy head. An enticing but too mild aroma: sugar, maple syrup, caramel malt. Taste has synthetic qualities: syrupy light fruit, sugar, hops in center through finish, sweet/boozy finish that sweats the tongue. A bit too artificially sweetened for my liking. It almost comes across like a dessert liquor; next time I'll bring the flan.

JRed, Apr 12, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - Copper/amber with a decent-sized off-white head.

Smell - I smell some caramel malts with a bit of both piney and citrusy hops.

Taste - The piney side of the hops show through, but the caramel malt is there to give some balance. A bit of honey and the citrusy hops finish out the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel - Fairly oily with a good dash of carbonation.

Drinkability - Reasonably easy drinking for a double IPA, I think I like. The sweet caramel malt grates a little bit, but its definitely tolerable and ends up adding a bit to the mix.

sevopie, Apr 11, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

Grabbed a bomber at a local QFC here...No freshness date...

- Dark rich copper color... no head at all as poured at an angle into a tumbler glass... mild lacing.

- Mild almost green olive smell... rather bitter scent... but not much out of this one.

- Smooth creamy malt flavor with a punch of floral hop notes... bitterness sits in the background but is there. Bit of pine and alcohol..

- Not too dry, bit of a bitter aftertaste.. slightly chewy and sweet..

- Quite drinkable.. but not one I will bask in again anytime soon.

Docer, Apr 11, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a rich amber color with a two finger head. Pretty good lacing. Nice hop aroma. Upon first taste I was very impressed with the balance. Not overpowering like many doubles. This beer hides the ABV well for 7.5% and I could definitely have a few of these. One of the better IPAs and a great offering from Lagunitas.

flexinwext, Apr 09, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

This orange/red Double IPA was something I simply picked out of the shelf line up tonight for tasting while watching the Villanova-UNC game. The aroma of red malts and subtle woods put my mind into the frame that the beer was more than an IPA and a lot more than an ordinary pale ale. The first taste was similar to that of a current hot item from Troegs that brought up the fruit of the hops in a special manner. Very drinkable and relatively inexpensive by comparison to others in its size.

bonbright7, Apr 05, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Beer pours a light amber in color and has an excellent hop profile. One finger head disapates quickly but leaves a good lacing in the glass. Taste is well balanced between sweet malt and a hop flavor that lend themselves perfectly to on another. No harsh tastes here. 7.5% alcohol is well hidden.

This is a really good beer, especially for under $10 a sixer. I would not hesitate to buy this again.

rugerj, Apr 04, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +4%

A- Pale orange color with a big sticky head

S- Lots of hops on top of a pale malt base

T- Taste is well-balanced between the sticky sweet load of malts and the fresh floral/spicy hop arrangement.

M- A bit flat in the mouth but that is fine with a body as thick as cough syrup

D- Damn good beer. Pretty light for a big IPA

EnojysAnyBeer, Apr 04, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Deep copper brown, 2 finger head that is gone quickly. Some lacing.

S- Reminds me of their Brown Shugga. Yeasty, malty with some hops and some passion fruit. Not as hoppy smelling as expected.

T- Taste reminds me alot of their Brown Shugga. It's too similar if you ask me. Sweet, big caramel and malt flavors. Can taste the high alcohol a little also. There is a hop bite at the end but not as much as I like in this style of beer. It's a well balanced beer, but I am disappointed in the lack of hops here.

M- Full bodied, slightly warm. Nice smooth carbonation. This could as a barleywine.

D- High alcohol, pretty filling beer results in me only being able to handle a couple of these.

This really lacks in the hops, citrus, pine flavors that I love in this style of beer. This really tastes like more of a winter warmer/barleywine than it does a DIPA. Makes me wonder how old this bottle is, but if those are your styles, I suggest giving it a try.

jera1350, Apr 01, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +4%

pours a beautifully clear copper-tangerine hue with an apricot tinged frothy one-finger head that has impressive retention and even better lacing down to the bottom. looks pretty stunning.

aroma is complex hops with notes of pine, grapefruit, an assortment of floral notes, and some other fruit notes including apricot, plum, and apple. subtle hints of toffee and caramel malt remind you there's a bit more than just hops.

The flavor is solidly hopped without being insanely hoppy. complex and earthy hops greet the tongue, with floral and fruit notes pulling through. apple and pear, a hint of pineapple, pine, juniper, a touch of basil. green and fresh, without the overbearing grapefruit citrus punch that is so common in west-coast IPAs.

mouthfeel is clean, creamy, and medium-full. A hint of slickness comes through, but the ample yet soft carbonation takes care of it fairly well. a nice herbal bitterness lingers for a bit, but doesn't assault the tongue and cling on for an eternity - which is a nice thing.

drinkability is pretty spot on for a brew of this gravity and intensity of flavors. I could easily plow through a few of these... the lack of a residual bitterness makes it that much more pleasant to quaff. Definitely a solid brew in my book... maybe not quite as double/imperial as it could be, but that kicks it up a notch as far as I'm concerned.

djeucalyptus, Apr 01, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +4%

Well time to treat myself to a bomber of Maximus. Just came in from shoveling wet and heavy snow from a spring storm, unfortunately will be getting over a foot of the stuff if it keeps up like its supposed to. This is a great looking beer, i was a little too aggressive on the pour and ended up with a massive four fingers of pale tan head. Its quite tight, whipped and rocky. If it were only a little paler it would remind me of the accumulating snows outside. The head is displaying excellent retention, something im hoping today's snow doesnt demonstrate, and almost intricate sticky gobs of lace are already showing off their webwork.

Ruby red grapefruit and biscuit drizzled with caramel greet my nose. A simple, straight forward hop assault backed by a solid malt aroma. Good stuff. Now i get to drink it!

If only today's snow would go down as easy as this beer. Unfortunately its piling up just as easy. Ruby read grapefruit tries to blast the palate, and is backed up with hints of pine resin, mango, and papaya. Biscuity malts try to assert themselves, but fail, much like me in my inability to keep my decks and walkways clear of snow. Some clean caramel flavours try to assert themselves and their sweetness tries to play nicely with the bullying hops. This is a straightforward, tasty IPA.

Almost medium bodied, somewhere between a IPA and an IIPA. A nice smooth and creamy feel, interrupted only by the mild carbonation and almost palate stripping hoppiness. Some honey like characteristics manage to rise from the malts and make me take notice. Balance favours the hops as it should.

This is a pretty drinkable ale. Some alcohol heat from the 7.5% ABV is present. It doesnt detract from the experience, but does remind the drinker to try to take things a little slow. This is a tasty brew, and well worth trying for fans of the hoppy styles. And if anyone wants to try to shovel the aftermath of a heavy wet spring snow storm that dumps a foot or so of the white stuff come on over. I'll be glad to share something nice with you, but i am wishing i had the foresight to buy more than one bottle of Maximus....

demcorhip, Mar 31, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

One of the better DIPA's I've had.

Purchased for $8.99/six at Whole Foods Orlando at Sand Lake Rd.

No freshness date, but some current jibberish on the label suggest it's no older than several months. "Dow @ 7392? Just Buy a Senate Seat", reads the top of the label.

Poured into a wine glass (closest thing to a decent beer glass at the Hilton GVC Orlando room). Nice head that settled down into lacing that lasted longer than the beer did.

Inviting aroma suggests sweet sticky hops are awaiting.

Nice grapefuity hops in the taste. Whatever the hop is that gives this taste, I like it. Not sure why the rating is a step below many others like Two Hearted, but I think it compares favorably.

Overall, just what I was looking for. A solid IPA that hits the spot.

jrjohnso, Mar 31, 2009

Lagunitas continues to churn out these high gravity beers and it seems every time I go to the beer store I find a new style from them to try out.

As I pour this beer from my outstretched arm I can smell the hops a good 3 feet away.. awesome. Pours a light orange color.. a little different than most IPA's I've had, or even DIPA's. Nice head and lacing to it though. Taste was very unexpected... grapefruit bomb for sure. This is the most "fruity" DIPA I've had, a little off but not too bad. I enjoyed but not as much as a lot of other Lagunitas offerings. It's cool they tried to make it different but I would prefer a lot of other breweries DIPA offerings.

oriolesfan4, Mar 30, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Was surprised to see this at the Hannaford market but figured I might as well give it a try. This brew poured to a clear orange color with nice copper highlights. Produced a thick off white head that had fine retention and left some clumps of froth and a lot of lacing. The aroma was extremely hoppy, very citrusy in the aromas that it gives off. For me it is reminiscent of grapefruit but with other hop aromas also there. Malt is there but I am having a hard time identify its aroma properties but think it is caramel and slightly roasted. The flavor is pretty much all about the hops but they are not overbearing as the flavoring they give is excellent. Those hop flavors seem to be all orange and grapefruit, not picking up to much in the way of pine. Also there is the malts, the malt here comes out more and is more distinguishable than in the nose as you can taste a nice underlying caramel. Overall this was a nice brew, I would say that as I got close to the end I did get tired of this one and was ready to move on. Though I say this I did like this brew and would get it again. Would be nice on a comfortable summer day drinking it on the deck letting the day pass by.

Stimack, Mar 28, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a copper orange in the glass with big time lacing, chunky globs remain stuck to the glass.

Smells like a big freakin Sitka Spruce. Hops almost feel stick in the nose. Big time pine and barely any citrus, in my nose at least.

Biscuits and malts along with a nice blend of hoppy. Not nearly as piney tasting as it smells.

Incredibly smooth, tapers off in a watery (but good) way. Not a harsh hop aftertaste at all.

Delightful!

midnite2sixman, Mar 26, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into a pint glass, head was okay. Disappeared mostly pretty quickly, but a faint top remained. Lacing was excellent.

Smelled great. A citrusy hop bomb in the nose. Smelled almost sweet. Went to my head just smelling it.

Poerful hop smell, comes in apparently at over 70 ibus. Sweet hop resinsy tast also. Citrusy pine also came out. A good one for sure.
Only downside for me personally was the grapefuit tones, but that is just personal so did not effect my rating of this.
Its a big beer and comes in a big bottle. Wish there was two people to share it, although I drank it relatively (too much so) quickly. Defionately better up front than the lingering taste but I really liked it upfront and aftertaste was decent.

Baileyuk, Mar 25, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -1%

Pours a light amber with little head and minimal/no lacing...I did over chill it, though.
Nice floral hops but fairly subdued overall.
Really nice big hops up front but it's not over the top. A bit one sided with the hops but its a very well developed side and true to the intended style.
Quite drinkable with minimal bitter for an IPA, almost watery. I really like this one, drinkable and very hoppy...nice summertime IPA.

WalterSobchak, Mar 20, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

Man was I ever in the mood for a strong IPA (I am always in the mood for a strong IPA). I grabbed a six of these along with some others from the best store in the area.

It's a pretty brew. Clear and reddish. It has enough aroma for you to know it means business, and like other beers from Lagunitas, it means business in the flavor department. I have found their stuff to always be quality brews with tons of character. This is also my favorite style, so it was a sure winner. Most of the others were very maltly, and you had to be in the mood for that. This is much better balanced than anything else I've had from Lagunitas. It is malty, but it is also very hoppy.

I am not sure that I ever had the Maximus prior to today, and it may not be my most favorite of all time, but it's my favorite of right now, and I vow to never refuse one! I also promise to drink another one tonight (but first, there is some Sierra Nevada Torpedo awaiting).

schoolboy, Mar 19, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Dark amber color. Completely translucent with no sediment or haze. Very little head. Good, classic double-ipa appearance (although a little dark).

S: Orangey citrus. Upon closer inspection, probably closer to blood orange (thank my wife for that pointer). Very nice, sultry sweet scent.

T: Totally lets me down from the scent that it enticed me with. Not bad at all, but not wonderful. Still the blood orange element, but a bitterness that starts at the front of the tongue and follows through all the way to the aftertaste that just isn't as balanced as I'd hoped.

M: Good body. Medium to low carbonation. Not particularly syrupy.

D: More challenging than I'd expect for a relatively low ABV DIPA. I guess it's the carbonation? Or the bitterness? Still drinkable overall, though.

jnn4v, Mar 19, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

Lagunitas Maximus India Pale Ale pours a thin head that rapidly collapses into a ring of foam. The brew is a clear deep orange color, and carbonation is slow but steady. The nose is sweet malt and floral and pine hop. The flavor is those sweet malts giving over to a fresh herbal hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is fairly light, finishing dry- but unlike a few West Coast IPAs I've tried, this isn't a total hop bomb. Though bitter, there is still some balance here. Grassy hop aftertaste. Though not to my personal ideal of how an IPA should be put together, this is one of the better West Coast IPAs I've tried- and you ought to, too.

shadow1961, Mar 17, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

A: A clear orange-amber color with a large, densely frothy off-white head. Retention is pretty nice, with some good lacing.

S: Loads of aromatic citric hops in the nose. Orange peel, sweet grapefruit, and lemon juice. Very appealing. Some more bitter piney notes as well. A faint malt backbone.

T: Some toasted malt is present along with a moderately yeasty background. Again, juicy and spicy citric hops suggesting grapefruit and lemon. Some faint piney bitterness as well. Rather fruity at times, especially with peach and pineapple. Hop flavor is very nice, but bitterness is actually fairly low.

M: Medium-firm in body, with some nice crispness. A touch of alcohol, as expected, but it's nicely masked.

D: This has a lot of very nice flavors. Not overwhelmingly bitter, but I can appreciate that. It's certainly got a measured dose of bitterness, but it's no hop bomb. Another strong brew from Lagunitas.

Clydesdale, Mar 16, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +4%

I just finished a Maximus and enjoyed it quite a bit.
First off, the 22oz bottle had a screw cap which threw me off a bit.

A - The appearance was delicious. Nice amber color and about 1/2" head after pouring it into a glass.

S - The smell was that of a typical AIPA. Nice hop character, too.

T - Exactly what I expected after know the pale ale and pils. A balanced beer with malty and hoppy flavors.

M - Simply wants you to have more. Goes done quite nicely despite the slightly bitter taste. If you like it - go for it. I will definitely go for more!

D - Smooth and demanding. Cannot wait to get back to the store to pick up more of these.

Schwab, Mar 09, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -3%

22oz bottle with no freshness date on it.

A- big clear golden, almost amber, colored body with a finger of fluffy white foam on top. slow moving small bubbles can be seen rushing to the top of the glass. nice rings of lace left on the sides of the glass.

S- caramel malts upfront, with a strong hoppy finish. lots of citrus and pine nothing groundbreaking here, but its no slouch either. average for the style.

T- caramel and toffee come on first from the malts. then come the hops. loads of citrus and pine. very bitter. very nice.

M- a little light for an IIPA. well carbonated, and leaves a nice dry taste in my mouth. no trace of alcohol can be found either.

D- this has got to be one of the best bargain brews out there. lots of hops, nice malt presence, and extremely drinkable with a lowish ABV for the style. and for 4$ a bomber, ill check this one out fairly often. i just with the bottle came with a best by date, a brewed on date, or some way to tell if its still fresh.

jwinship83, Mar 07, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -4.8%

Ok, this is called Maximus and has IPA on the lable, so I was really expecting more in the hoppy range of IPA's

It is a dark amber with decent sized head that left a little spiderweb retention.

Smell, for an IPA permeates Malt, yip malt. Caramel malt, then the hops, pine that you would expect in a MAXIMUS IPA. I mean, this isn't a bad IPA infact it is very enjoyable, but I think Lagunitas' very own IPA is a better offering.

Tastes like it smells malt, caramle upfront...and then a little bit of hops in the background. Quite sweet and not as bitter as you'd expect.

feels good, and drinks well, but if you are expecting a hop bomb, this isn't it.

Scott

Chelsea1905, Mar 04, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +16.6%

I buy this at the happiest place on earth. Liqour World. They have the best selection for hopheads, such as myself. To the point, Lagunitas brews are all outstanding in my book. This one is my favorite of all IPAs. I treat myself on occasion, but I enjoy their IPA 6er quite often.

QuinnFam, Feb 15, 2009