Maximus - Lagunitas Brewing Company

MaximusMaximus

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-22-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Maximus Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

Bright copper orange with near perfect clarity. Poured with a strong, rocky white head that left behind a rich cap and ample sticky lacings. Mellow floral and citrus hop aromas with a hint of pine and malt beneath. Smooth and pleasant feel with ample carbonation. Floral and citrus grapefruit hop flavors in the beginning with a brief taste of sweet malt. Finishes cleanly with a pine flavor that fades with a bit of alcoholic heat. Lots of complex flavors and a nice clean finish without too much bitter aftertaste. Very easy to drink.

12oz bottle into 12oz Glass. 1 finger off white head leaves lite lacing. Clear lite amber.

Smells floral, fruity, citrus Hops..mild but easy to pick up.

Taste, Hops first, with medium bite, then clean citrus and fruit notes and a decent malt smoothness. alcohol well hidden.

Mouthfeel is lite to med body, good Hop bite and some dryness, moderately zesty carbonation, feels very clean and refreshing.

Overall a good brew, Hops are not as overdone as I expected, drinks clean and refreshing with nice notes of fruit and citrus sweetness and a fair malt balance. I'd buy it again, and again!

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

A - Medium-copper with off-white head. Lots of pretty lacing.

S - Kinda weak. I smell a little bit of citrus, bitter hops, and a significant amount of sweet malt.

T - Starts out with lots of caramel malt and some tinges of lemon and floral hops around the edges. A little spiciness is present too. Upon swallowing, the hops become a lot more assertive. Very bitter/floral taste that completely washes away the malt. Grapefruitiness is the overall taste that lingers. This may just be me, but I feel like the flavors don't blend quite right. I guess I'm just not a fan of (D)IPAs that are this malty.

M - Solid feel. I can say with confidence that I enjoy having this beer in my mouth.

D - Not where this shines. Though I don't expect too much in the drinkability department when it comes to DIPAs, I definitely couldn't see downing more than 2 in a session.

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard unchilled beer glass.

Appearance: Orange clear. Not hazy in any way. Swirls of sediment (not bad) linger with a fresh pour.

Smell: Average honestly. Hop smell dominant as expected in an IPA.

Taste: Excellent IPA flavor without the overpowering IPA taste. By far one of the best to deliver the correct interpretation of a modern day IPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Obviously depends on your overall care for hops. This one in particular I am stuck on for now. I am certain I will move on, but I am sure I will be back. Very good stronger IPA. If you are not a "hophead" this will immediately be rejected.

Overall: Exceptional IPA. As I have mentioned, I am stuck on this delivery of such a high hop brew. I dont care for beers that force hops such as Schlafly APA. This beer is just an exceptional beer to drink with almost any high protein meal and as a night cap.

3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Nice light amber coppery body..a small amount of lacing lines the glass. It would have been nice if the head stayed around a little longer.

Sweet hoppy aromas, citrus, grapefruit, melon, caramel and honey.

An extremely well hidden 7.5% ABV. So drinkable. Not one of those over-the-top IPAs but rather a well-balanced one with just the right combination of hops and sweet malt to make drinking a couple of these a pleasant chore.

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Dark golden yellow, great lacing with a small head.

S - Citrus and hops, well balanced.

T - Great taste, citrus, hops, malts, great balance of aftertaste, not overbearing but nice. Some fruity hop thing going on as well, different but nice.

M - Little more carbonation then a usual ipa, but suits the brew well, kinda fizzy but not. aftertaste is well balanced and good.

D - Drinkable & not that overbearing of an IPA, great taste that is definitely an ipa over the top. Not watered down but just right. I like most Lagunitas brews seeing the well balance and hoppiness. Would not consider this a DIPA but over the top different style of IPA. Only $7.75 at Albertsons!Thumbs up!

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

Light amber in color, fluffy head that dissipates pretty quickly, decent lacing.

Smells like canned pineapple and malts.

Initial hop bitterness, sweet malt then switches to lingering bitterness. Hints of pineapple. Sweet and malty with constant bitterness. Finishes dry and hot from alcohol.

Slightly syrupy, medium to light carbonation.

Easy to drink but the sweetness and hotness can get to be too much. Accurate to the style and a unique flavor slightly different to others of the style. I would drink this again but is not my favorite of the style.

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle straight from Lagunitas into my Zatec fluted glass. Amber color with a fluffy, quickly receding two fingers of head. Not bad on the lacing, not great. Smells of pineapple, malt sweetness, Lagunitas house yeast and some light citrus and spice. Flavor is big bitterness up front and on the finish. Pretty dry for a DIPA, but a decent malt sweetness. Citrus peel, and more hops slappin my tongue. Finishes a little hot for 8.2, but not too rough.

3.98/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: Pours a clear orange-copper with a very small foamy white head which dissipates quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Sweet floral and citrus hops, caramel and a hint of alcohol in the background.

Taste: Mildly sweet citrus up front followed by a mix of spicy hops and earthy malts in the middle then an explosion of lemon rind bitterness and a subdued hint of alcohol at the finish. Aftertaste is very bitter. I'm surprised that this is only 72 IBUs.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly high drinkability. You could down a couple without much trouble.

Overall: Good beer overall. While I guess it's technically an Imperial IPA, I consider this more of a strong IPA. It's not the best in the world but you can do much worse.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

A - Pours a clear golden coppery color with a two finger cream colored head that has very good retention. There is some pretty good lacing here also. There are a few carbonation bubbles heading to the top.

S - There are some very clean citrus and pine hops, pretty pungent too.

T - Man, I'm surprised this IPA doesn't have vitamin C in this. There is some very citrus hops. A huge punch of orange follows this. Very good and strong. Hops leave a clean but bitter aftertaste. Great IPA here.

M - This could use a little more carbonation. It would help bring out the flavors more.

D - This is dangerously drinkable considering the higher ABV, low bitterness and citrus taste.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

this is definetely one of the better double/imperials i have tasted. alot of them leave me with a bad after taste. this one is very smooth. the color and smell were immediately appealling to me being a huge IPA lover. alot of my previous samples of imperials have not been to my liking. i would definetely enjoy this one again. another outstanding beer by the people of Lagunitas.

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to mar for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is not near as strong as I remembered it being. I get some pine and citrus notes, as well as a little bit of toffee. Still, it is not the big strong aroma that I remember from this beer. The flavor is similar, but more pronounced. I get some tropical fruit and pine hop notes, as well as some alcohol. There is also some toffee. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz bottle. Pours a medium amber color with a small head. Lots of lacing. Nice hoppy aroma. Slight smell of pine, citrus and sweetness. Flavors of hops, bitterness and maybe apricot. Smooth bitter aftertaste. Overall a good Imperial IPA, but nothing earth-shattering.

2.63/5  rDev -33.9%

ahh cracked the bottle and smells...stale. You know, I am in fix, do I ding the beer cause I got a stale sample? Do I not review it at all and wait and buy another in the future? Hmm, well, I spent my well earned dough on the this premium product, buyer beware I guess, but how do I know what I am getting? No date code,...color of bottle looks good, golden yellow. Beer smells, well faintly hoppy, but has that stale hop smells dominating. What could this be like fresher, some pine, some rich malt. The taste is well, again kinda stale hops, but still some lingering hop bitters, mouthfeel is rich, and this beer is pretty strong. So what a big disappointment. I guess it isn't totally the beers fault, but then again it is....

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

A- copper orange clear body thin eggshell colored head with plenty of lacing
S- tons of floral hops in here along with a really sweet malt bill, grapefruit hop aroma
T- at first i get a buttery smooth almost caramel sweetness and light floral hoppiness and an almost candy like sweet finish, then the hops seemed to have taken a sharp metallic like turn for me, the same sweetness that i thought i initially perceived seemed to vacillate between sweet and metallic which was really odd to me, never seen that before.
M- a bit on the thin side for a dipa but didnt take away from the enjoyment
D- very sessionable
Overall a tasty brew just sometimes the slight metallic flavor was distracting

3.1/5  rDev -22.1%

amber with a cream colored head. decent lacing. slight carbonation showing.

smell is hop forward with a malt background.

Slightly bitter, but that's all I get from the hops (no floral or citrus qualities, just bitterness and not a ton of it). Malt is also not very present. Slightly sweet aftertaste.

light bodied no mouth coating.

drinkable, but definitely not amongst the best DIPAs I've had. If I want more hops than malt I could drink this, but I'd probably go for better options.

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Poured with a moderate-sized, off-white head that stuck around for a while. Body is a dark amber color, and clear.

S: Very strong aroma of pungent, floral hops, with some grapefruit character in there as well.

T: A very hop-forward beer. There's some malty sweetness in the background, but the strong piney, floral hops definitely take the foreground, and the high bitterness in the finish covers up any other malt presence.

M: Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation.

D: Very tasty, and if you love your hops you'll be impressed with this beer.

4.22/5  rDev +6%

Lagunitas never quite disappoints when it comes to hop bombs. Again, a beer I've had quite a few times over but never jotted down a review for (this isn't from memory, but from the beer before me, just fyi).

A wheaty amber color with a thin film of head that sticks around nearly till you're done with the beer and streams of bubbles rushing from the bottom of the glass. Smells of, well, hops, and not a whole lot else. This particular batch tastes maltier than others I've had, but it isn't a distracting maltiness, underscoring the hops. Other times I've had this I think they are really just punchier versions of the regular Lagunitas IPA (which I wouldn't kick out of my refrigerator either), but this time around I'm definitely placing it firmly within the Imperial IPA box. Easy enough to drink, if pretty bitter.

Maximus is a pretty dependably tasty beer and I'm completely not shocked that it belongs to Lagunitas.

4.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Glass : oversized wine glass

A - clear with a reddish orange hue, head quickly dissapered leaving hints of lacing.

S- HOPS !!!! very strong odour of hops

T - over powering hoppy taste but for those who enjoy hops at 70+ IBU's this is great.

M - warms nicely as well as being crisp with light carbonation.

D- This is a great smelling and tasting DIPA pretty much my ultimate beer for that special session.

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%

Brassy..polished in color with a nice white head that last the whole way through the drink.
Blend of hops and malts in the nose. Balanced and very nice.
Once again a perfect blend of sweet, earthy maltiness and floral hops.
Bready malts almost win this battle.
Really digging this one.
I want another for sure

3.9/5  rDev -2%

A: Clear orange-amber, off-white head

S: Some sweet malt, nice citrus hop, not really strong, reminds me of Centennial IPA, a bit of alcohol

T: Sweet caramel malt, and full hop bitterness, has a resiny aftertaste - not really sure how to describe it, resiny seems to be the best I can think of right now. Nice warm toast afterward, finishes fairly dry.

M: Fairly thin, mouthcoating hops

D: Pretty high considering, some would consider this a strong IPA not a double IPA. The hops finish a bit harsh, but I like it. Very enjoyable.

4.05/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a BN Army pint glass.

A- small head that doesnt quit. Color of honey, well carbonated.

S- wonderful grapefruity citrus on the nose.

T- Big hop character, but balanced well with a lot of malts. Starts hoppy and finishes sweet.

M- A little less mouthfeel than other DIPAs. Could use a little more coating around the palate. Flavors still linger though.

D- I would rather drink this than the regular IPA. This beer has more flavor, but is still not overpowering on the hops. It is a jacked up IPA in nice balance. Like the IPA, Hop Heads will not be satisfied with this. Reach for Hop Stoopid.

A - limited but long-lasting head; yellow-orange color. well carbonated

S- floral and citrusy hops! bittersweet; alcohol evident

T - hops; good complexity [from multiple varieties?]. IBU = 72, but there's a good bit of sweet malt flavor too.

made of "hops, malt, hops, hops, yeast, hops, water and hops" (label) - lol

A brew for hop-heads, although not exceptionally hoppy for an American DIPA.

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance- copper in color with nice white head, small bubbles slowly stream up the glass,

Smell- nice strong citrus hops with slight malt tones,

taste- good balance of maltiness in the beginning of the beer and then a very enjoyable citrus hop presence at the end that last nicely after each sip, the hops though strong in this beer are nicely balanced and do not over dominate your palate

Mouthfeel- low amount of carbonation but very smooth and almost creamy mouthfeel

Drinkability- very drinkable and enjoyable the strong point of this beer to me is its great balance as the malts and hops actually very much intermingle beautifully on your tongue, a rather enjoyable ipa (though not a dipa in my books), to me just another one in the line of very good beers i have tried in the past few months from lagunitas this brewery needs to start getting more attention for really good quality beers

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass

Appearance: golden orange/yellow and sligtly translucent. 1/2-1 finger near pure white head. circumferential rings of lacing left around the glass after each taste - beautiful

Nose: very sweet in the nose and a strong scent that last throughout completion of this beer. Mostly sweet citrus. Malt aroma is at least equal to the citrus scent to me even making it hard to tell what is sweet malt vs the citrus scent. I pick up very little piney hops at the end of the nose. Very mild alcochol scent but nearly undetectable.

Taste: dominated by a nutty taste and sweet malts. Hops are very much in the background and mild at best. This is a very sweet tasting beer. Towards the end of the beer I picked up some orange citrus but still very sweet. Mostly the heavy malt presence and nutty flavor stayed with me. The alcohol content is VERY well hidden in the beer. This was not at all hot - much appreciated.

Mouthfeel: thin but very smooth. Carbonation visible but not noted in the mouthfeel. Again, very smooth. The hops leaves only a little dryness in the feel after each sip but not that big sticky sensation that come with some more bitter DIPAs

Drinkability: very smooth and easy on the stomach. Enjoyable throughout as a sipping beer. The alcohol content limits how many I could have, but this is definitely a great (2) beer night type of beer to just relax and enjoy.

Overall: This was a great beer that I would certainly have again. I purchased a single and though there are few beers I buy as a sixer this is one I might like to keep on hand. I will certainly keeps this on my list of DIPA to revisit.

Maximus from Lagunitas Brewing Company