Lagunitas Imperial Stout - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.90% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-31-2001

2010 8.2% abv
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,714 | Reviews: 616
4.5/5  rDev +19%

4.05/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance - Pours a dark cola brown, allowing nothing but the brightest of lights to pierce through with any amount of penetration. The head is an egg-shell tan and develops a good finger-width before dissipating to a sticky, but thin lace.

Smell - A fair amount of chocolate, an underlying note of coffee, very subtle hints of banana on the nose, and also faint astringency and a bit of caramel.

Taste - Follows the nose: I'm getting chalky milk chocolate and faint, faint traces of mellow banana in the forefront. A fair amount of roasted malt coffee character hits mid-taste, and a touch of caramel joins the fray in the finish. Less aggressive than most RIS's, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied, with just the right amount of carbonation. It's not a beer one would necessarily drink all night, but that's not typical of the style. Smooth and creamy on the finish.

Overall - This Imperial pulls back on aggressiveness, and relies a bit more on sweet, balanced flavor. Lagunitas made the right call. It's just dark and thick enough to be called an imperial, but it doesn't sock you in the face and question your manhood like your average RIS. Sometimes, this is a good thing. The 9.9% is well hidden.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Bomber pours an almost black with just a hint of of brown hues showing in the light. One finger bubbly tan head that fades to a small ring. Kinda reminds me of a Coca-Cola, in appearance.

Aroma is a little smokey. chocolate, coffee and sweet malts.

Taste backs up the aroma. Pretty sweet roasted caramel malts. Chocolate and coffee flavors. Some dark fruity sweetness and a hint of boozy alcohol and hops.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and smooth. Creamy some roasty coffee flavors linger through the finish. I'd say it's pretty given the privce point of Lagunitas' beers.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 22oz served in a pint glass

A - Dark brown with ruby tint with some light penetrating. Single finger ecru head with poor head retention and moderate lacing.

S - Faint smell of roasted barley and alcohol. Not very impressive.

T - Typically stout, mostly roasted coffee with some dark chocolate but nothing is very bold and the alcohol isn't as strong as I like in an imperial. Smooth but not very exciting.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation.

O - Above average stout, prob won't get it again.

3.57/5  rDev -5.6%

A: This pours a dark brown, almost black, and has a tiny amount of head. The head quickly fades to almost anything and only leaves a bit foam in a ring around the glass.

S: I love me a boozy smelling beer and this is one that for sure tingles the nose. There is a bit of roasted malt on the nose too.

T: The taste really isnt anything special. There is a bit of roasted malt, some dark fruit and then as the beer lingers, it has a nice sweet malt.

M: There is a lot of carbonation and burn on the back on the throat. It leaves a lot of carbonation in the throat and it just doesnt really do much for me.

O: This is a pretty good beer for the price. I got this beer for $3.21 and it was well worth it for a bomber. Not the best imperial stout, but not horrible.

3.84/5  rDev +1.6%

I picked up a bottle of Lagunitas Imperial Stout a couple weeks ago for $4.99 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer for a while now so I was happy to see that the store just got some in, lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is plain and isn't that eye catching, the emphasis seems to be on the imperial side of things. It poured a very dark brown color that was close to being black and imparted a finger and a half worth of tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end. This is an ok looking RIS, but I wish it had a little better head.

S- The aroma starts off with tons of dark roasted malts that have a low amount of medium sweetness and impart some nice dark chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and toffee flavors with a little bit of coffee and cream showing up towards the end. I didn't pick up any hops in the aroma but I did get a real slight alcohol aroma. This beer has a pretty nice aroma that is very true to style.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma. The first thing I pick up are loads of dark roasted malts that have a medium amount of roast and a low amount of medium sweetness, the malts impart some nice dark chocolate, caramel toffee, coffee, and cream flavors that come together pretty well. I couldn't taste any hops but I did get a light amount of warming alcohol on the finish with a roasty chocolate aftertaste and a low amount of medium bitterness. The flavor of this beer was nice and the alcohol was hidden pretty well for a 9.9% RIS.

M- Pretty smooth, a little creamy, on the full side of being medium bodied, and it had a high amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok but I thought that the carbonation could be toned down just a touch.

Overall I liked this beer and I thought that it was a good RIS, I have had many beers from Lagunitas but all them have been pretty hoppy so I didn't know what they could do with this style but they ended up making a pretty traditional RIS where the roasted malts are the highlight and the hops take a back seat. This beer had good drinkability, it went down fairly smooth, wasn't overly boozy and if I wasn't splitting this bottle with my brother I don't think I would have a hard time drinking it by myself. What I liked most about this beer was pretty much everything, there wasn't anything too off or out of style with this RIS. What I liked least about this beer was the slightly higher then normal carbonation and the fact that it wasn't as roasty and robust as some of the better RIS's. I'm pretty sure I will buy this beer again next time they release it and I recommend this to anyone who likes the style. I was pretty satisfied with this RIS, it's not up there with my favorites of the style but it is still a good and tasty RIS that hit the spot on a cold winter night, I was unsure how good a dark beer from Lagunitas would turn out but they proved to me that they just aren't a tasty hoppy beer brewery, they have more range then I thought and that only further cements my feeling that they are one of my favorite out of state brewery's, keep making tasty beers and I'll keep drinking them.

3.41/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass. This pours a dark almost pitch black with a small tan colored head. The smells are of dark roasted malts and alcohol. The feel is medium to thick. The taste is okay not anywhere the best irs I've had but at least its cheap, some dark toasted malts and alcohol.

3.56/5  rDev -5.8%

Top-down forming head, dark mocha colored beer with a thin head. Smells like roasted malts and hops, nothing more than average. The taste is smooth and drinkable but nothing about it says IMPERIAL, not aggressive at all. Hop notes are present but not over barring.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured out of a 22oz bottle into a tulip. Fine bubbles line the glass and float around on the surface of the beer. Not really black, just a very dark brown. Lacing slides down the side of my glass. The aroma is full of malt sweetness, a hint of chocolate, some roasted malts too. I mostly pick up crystal. Taste is much the same as the nose. Not a whole lot of hop bitterness up front, mostly malt sweetness, little bits of chocolate, some dark fruit flavors but they are all balanced by a lingering hop presence. The finish is slightly sweet.

This stout isn't incredibly thick, but it has a nice body. It is well attenuated. Carbonation is right on the mark; some brewers carb their stouts up so high that it detracts from the mouthfeel of the beer, making it livelier than it should be, but this one does not.

Overall, this is a good imperial stout. I'd make it a little less caramel sweet and more towards the chocolate end of things, but it's solid. Another good bomber from Lagunitas.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lagunitas Imperial Stout from Lagunitas Brewing Company