Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)

good

good

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: beertaster13 on 02-17-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) Alström Bros
Reviews: 692 | Hads: 2,266

I've had many a pilsner here in the United States and in Germany and I was VERY inpressed with this beer. When I poured it into my pilsner glass, I got a perfect head and the most beautifu cascade of bubbles swirling up from the bottom of the glass that I have ever seen. It look just like to BMC commercials do except THEIR beers don't behave like that. Even now, 15 min into my beer , it is still cascading to keep the head alive.

Te aroma was very Czech like, the hop aroma was very european. Classy & clean.

I was worried before my first sip that the carbonation would be to much, but it was perfect... very nice mouthfeel. Great body to the beer and the taste was crisp clean and super refreshing. I know that those are all the cliche's that you always hear, but this time it was absolutly true.

This is my favorite pilsner and I highly reccomend it.

Another homerun Lagunitas!!! (897 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +34.1%

This is probably one of my top five non-german brews, and certainly top ten overall. I would give a detailed description, but it would be a waste of time, this beer hits the mark in all catagories:Smell,drinkability,taste,mouthfeel, everything! My recommendation, buy it, you wont regret it. (291 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

Pours a deep golden color with a big white head. A very slight haze. Head fades quickly to a wispy veil on top. A good swirl brings out another round of foam. Good lacing all the way down.
Classic lager aroma, not over powering, of noble hops and a hint of malty character.
Taste is dry and spicy with a nice dry finish.
Sprite and lemony in the mouth.
Refreshing. I could down a couple of these babes, coming off the beach down in Cape May.
Drink well my friends (463 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a nice Czech style Pilsner.
Apperance: golden with nice white head but no lacing
Smell: Czech hop smell and straw like sent
Taste: crisp clean and bitter character expected from a Pilsner, hop prescience is ago adequate and a sulphur quality
Overall a nice Pilsner (273 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +27.7%

$1.80 for a single at Jacks. Filtered. Pours out to a brilliantly clear straw golden...perfect pils color. Forms a rocky white head with average retention and sparse lacing. The aroma is crisp, fresh, clean pale malts and a subtle Saaz floral hopiness. Mouthfeel is crisp with a nice acidity and smooth finish. Medium-light body. The taste is great...lots of nice Euro malts up front with pleasant grassiness, a floral and citric nice hop bite, an expertly balanced bitterness and ends in a subtle grain husk sweetness. Wow. No off-flavors.

This is a world-class pils. Defining for the style and full of flavor, yet oh-so-easy to drink. I love this brew. Highly recommended. I will be buying much more! (703 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +27.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Pilsner Urquell pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, bright, golden color with lots of carbonation bubbles visible. Has large, rocky head that dissipates slowly and leaves considerable lacing.

Smell: Smells of grainy, grassy hops with a hint of maltiness. Has a clean nose like most pilsners.

Taste: Now this is a pilsner! Strong hoppy and biscuity flavors permeate throughout this beer. The hops tend towards the grassy/grainy variety but there are hints of citric hops in here as well. Perfectly balanced with a pleasant aftertaste, this is really quite fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing, yet surprisingly full-bodied.

Drinkability: A superior pilsner and one I'd certainly have again without hesitation. Czech-style pilsners have a special place in my heart and this one is definitely the best American interpretation of the style I've had. It also makes me more interested in trying some of Lagunitas' other offerings. Way to go Lagunitas on this one! (1,017 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +26.9%

Well, I've been searching for a pilsner close to those I had in Prague (check my avatar...that's one of them). This is very close, and very good. The hops present this lager with a nice crisp feel and spicey taste, one thing that keeps me on ales. I'm not a malt head, and don't like the lingering effects of most lagers.
A bright, clear persimmon color with a moderate head. Could look better, but it's just fine.
Clove, coriander, and lemon zest hint in the nose. Fresh. Green grass, possibly.
Taste is great, I almost give it a 5...but rarely do that with any beer. Hops balance this beer well, maybe too much for a true pilsner, but I like it. Feels great, tingly, crisp.
Gonna have to have more of this. A step shy of the Prague beers, but very good nonetheless (769 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I thought I'd gotten my fill of the Pilsner style back when I stopped competitively drinking Budweiser and switched to craft styles. But another member here turned me onto Lagunitas's take on the style and I do believe I like Pilsner again.

What I like best about Lagunitas's Pils is it's drinkability. This has been a hot summer in the Northeast, and this is a beer that you can drink in the heat. It's got a crisp, refreshing taste with just a hint of something exotic at the edge of your olfactory perephery.

This is a great transitional beer for Bud/Miller drinkers. I've got people who don't even like beer drinking this stuff! (638 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Gold color with a slight amber or ruby hue. Nice aroma of those Saaz hops I believe it is that are so prevalent in the Czech style. These guys have it down pat though as this beer is so much smoother and more drinkable than a Budvar, Pilsener Urquel, Staropramen or any of the others I have tried. I'm sure if I were in Prague, there would be plenty of competition. It is still an impressive example of the style from an American brewery. Lagunitas seems to put out quality in almost all their styles.

Tasting notes --breaddy and biscuitty --nice malt upfront very pleasant hop finish -pleasantly carbonated --good mouthfeel--this is an excellent pilsner. (658 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +24.2%

Lagunitas Pils, Czech Style Pilsner from the Lagunitas Brewery comes in a short stubby 12 fl.oz Bottle. It immediately impresses me with the fact that it defers to the Czechs, and unlike some Breweries I could mention, calls itself Czech ‘Style’ Pils. I like that and I am already endeared to this beer before I open it for its honesty.
Wow! And when I do open it, I like it even more. Straight from the fridge and once the crown cap is popped; I swear the Hop Aromas leap for joy into my Apartment. The beer pours a lovely golden color, with some turbidity though, even so, the orange milk hue from the fine suspended solids looks fantastic. Head is like Jaws, a Great White Monster. Huge, rocky, frothy and very reminiscent of a Czech Pils, and it has staying power. Aromas are stunning, a massive fresh citric and spicey hoppiness that positively invades the room and the nasal passages as though they are glad to see you.
Tastes are incredibly refreshing, extremely clean lines, exceptionally crisp and with a marvellous hop character. Some lingering bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is nothing short of perfect for this style. The Saaz hops contribute that spicy hoppiness so often found in fresh Pils in Czech Republic. After a few mouthfuls, a very soft fruitiness develops and is clearly perceptible in the middle, just like the real thing.

I first went to Czechoslovakia in 1992, and then revisited it when it was the Czech Republic a few times. I can honestly say this is one of the very best US interpretations of a Czech Pils that I have had to date. It reminded me so very much of the lashings of fresh Pilsner Urquell I drank in the Golden Tiger (U Zhlatého Tygra) in Prague, and later in Pilsen at the Brewery so many years ago.
Bloody Impressive, Marvellous and very accomplished indeed.

A big Thumbs Up to Lagunitas on this one. Na Zdravi! (1,873 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

I am a big fan of Pilsner beers, especially Czech style Pilsners.
Whenever I see a new one I like to try it. When I saw Lagunitas, I was excited to try a California style. It has a nice dark golden color and is refreshingly crisp. I find this to be a nice overall beer, to be enjoyed as a session beer. (302 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Generally it is fairly rare to find a good Czech pilsner from a craft-brewery. This is one is an exception and is a great refreshing Czech pilsner. Well balanced bitterness. High ABV for a pilsner but it is not noticeable. (222 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Appearance
Large foamy head with good retention and lacing. Pale golden body. Moderate carbonation.

Aroma
Clean piney hops. Mild bready malt.

Taste
Well done! Clean and refreshing. Mildly sweet. Hops are clean and not overly bitter. Hops taste of pine and citrus. Malt body is mild and sweet. This beer is balanced. The flavor is good and it is easy to drink. Good quality.

Mouthfeel
Lots of carbonation. The body is borderline between light and medium. Goes down smooth.

Overall
An excellent beer. The price is high but so is the quality. One of the best Pilsner lagers. Pairs well with steak or chicken. (625 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +23.1%

Aroma: Slight sulfury nose with a crackery Pils background. A slight spicy hop aroma. This is what I imagine a Pils would smell like if I was in Germany and didn't have to drink it from a green bottle.

Appearance: Crystal clear golden appearnce with moderate effervescence noted. Soft, pillowy white head.

Flavor: More of the same from the aroma. A nice floral, spicy hop note. Backed up with solid crackery and pilsner malt flavors. Finish is crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, high carbonation, and a slight carbonic bite. No alcohol heat or astringency detected.

Overall impression: Wow! A fantastic American interpretation. I'm not a big fan of Lagunitas but this pretty much knocks the cover off the ball. What a treat to have a Pilsner like this that isn't imported. Well done. (793 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%

Finally a Pils that I like! This gem poured a little darker than most pils with a very faint orange tint to it. The head was nice and frothy and settled into a nice pillow of foam for the rest of the session. The smell is actually pretty malty sweet, with a hint of carmel malt and light grassy undertones. The taste blew me away! It had a nice dry saaz and citrus bite in the beginning along with a nice malt sweetnes in the bakground that lends a little bit of thickness to the body, and a nice flavorful finnish that left me wanting another drink. This is the session Pils for me! A must try! (595 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%

Had three of these the other night at 'bones. I thought it was very good, especially for an American take on the style. Pour when served was the color of golden yellow sunshine, I enjoyed the snow white head on top. It left many, many rings in my glass as I drank it down. The low aroma was a bit appley/citrusy. Clean, crisp initially, it had some grainyness in the finish, but only a touch. Very smooth, great session beer. (425 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

Lagunitas Pils, draft, 5.3%Abv. This beer was newly tapped and quite fresh.
A4,S4.5,T4.5,M4,O4.5

A Big thick white head. Deep golden color and crystal clear. Head receeded, but continued to cover the beer all the way to the end of the glass.

S Nice fresh flowery noble hop Aroma. Just as a Czech pils should be.

T Malty, with sufficient hop bitterness to tip the balance toward the hops. Hops dominate, but are not harsh and are true to style.

M This a pale beer, with full flavor and medium body due to quality malt. Carbonation is a little high, but doesn't detract.

O Light colored beers are very difficult to make well because there is nowhere to hide errors. If you get a chance to try a good one, don't miss the opportunity. This is one of those beers. Highly recommend. (781 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +21.4%

Ever since having the New Glarus Unplugged Bohemian Pils last week, I have craving some thirst quenching lagers. This one held its own and satisfies my urge for a clean and flavorful session beer. Brilliant golden and clear body with heavy carbonation and thin, but slightly sticky, layer of head. The aroma is filled with a doughy maltiness that is paired with oak and noble hops. Nice and resinous, but controlled hop presence. The taste is sharp and malty on the front and dried out substantially on the swallow. The touch a crystal malt seems to add great depth to this medium bodied lager. Not sure if they put this beer on oak, but it surely has wonderful barrel qualities. This is so easy to drink and a great example of a lager done right. It is so easy to get lost in the hype and trends of big beers (guilty myself), but somethings, nothing is better than a cold, clean pils. This one is definitely suiting for crowd pleasing. (936 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +21.2%

12oz bottle purchased as a single at The Spirit Haus, Amherst, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" white head over the clear golden brew. Foamy head lasts, and exhibits very nice lacing. Aroma is lightly of pale malts and crisp hops. Taste is upfront sweet pale malt, which then switches abruptly to a nice hops flavor. Mouthfeel and drinkability are excellent. Wonderful example of the style. (413 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

Color: pours a light, golden straw. sits a brilliantly clear, burnished gold.

Smell: good malt character with a grainy sweetness and almost unnoticable diacetyl presence. low spicy, Saaz hop aroma

Taste: rich malty sweetness with just enough bitterness to lightly support. very low spiciness from Saaz. diacetyl is almost non-existent. finish is slightly balanced towards bitter and does not linger very long.

Mouthfeel: rich, low-medium body with moderate carbonation

Notes: refreshing, easy-drinking, well rounded brew. makes one wonder why our american versions had to be made even lighter. could drink this all night. (626 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +20.9%

This is what a lager should be. A smooth pour with little head. That classic none watered down lager smell. In my opinion one of the best tasting and fully drinkable lagers around. The Carbination is just right as well IMO hard to find a fault with this one... (260 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark gold with a beautiful thick white head. Aroma is clean and slightly hoppy, sweet. Taste is a superb example of the style, a clean and technically excellent brew with just slightly more malt than a traditional pils and more hops, but hops are mildly aromatic--as fits a true Czech style pils. Moutfeel is well-balanced, just slightly on the heavier side for a pilsner. The drinkability of this is through the roof and exactly the riff on pilsner that I would expect from Lagunitas. In summary, this is one of my absolute favorite domestic pilsners and I am a pilsner nut--frankly this is one of my favorite everyday beers. Thank God for Lagunitas. (659 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

gorgeously clear "Los Angeles sunset orange" color, with a good white head. Very inviting.

lightly floral aroma, good dose of vanilla and a touch of sweet citrus. not sure it's quite to style but very nice and enjoyable.

very crisp and clean body, dry with a smack of bready sweetness that gives way to a surprisingly bitter finish. Just a hint of orange in there. Great, powerful but straightforward taste.

this is delightful, an absolutely brilliant pilsner. maybe it's not perfect to style but it's damn close. no off flavors or roughness you find in lesser lagers, and it's hopped to the brink. this would make a great apperatif (sp), session beer, or spicy food beer, among other things.

put this up there near dortmunder gold as one of the best lagers kicked out by craft brewers. (801 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

On tap at lagunitas.

A: Light golden color with a huge head for a lager. The head fades very quickly however.

S: Light with just a bit of hop character.

T: Damn. That is a delicious, refreshing pilsner. Nice malty flavor with just a hint of hops. Absolutely enjoyable.

M: Light and crisp. This is a great summertime beer. Incredibly refreshing.

O: This is my go to lager. Affordable, easily obtainable, and wonderful. Great beer to have when warm outside. (460 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

I've been happy with this brewery so I couldn't pass up the czech pils. 6 pack of 12oz bottles.

Poured into a pounder glass it is golden color with a meaty ivory head that laces all the way down with a thin layer of goodness.

I picked up hoppy/saaz, even slightly floral, right off the bat. malts were subdued and more of a filler. light fruitiness mostly orange. perfect carbonation. tasted the yeast I've come to expect in this style but this was lighter in that department and more of a hopped up spicyness that was enjoyable and easy on the palate. Crisp mouthfeel that finishes moderately dry. Not the thirst quencher nor the session beer that one might expect this has some characteristics that make it more compatible with a meal than a session. A very respectable offering from Lagunitas. (803 characters)

Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) from Lagunitas Brewing Company