Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner)

good

good

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: beertaster13 on 02-17-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas PILS (Czech Style Pilsner) Alström Bros
JupiterJesus

11-15-2011 00:51:48 | More by JupiterJesus
Donsmitty

Connecticut

12-06-2011 19:01:11 | More by Donsmitty
mwalters

I've had many a pilsner here in the United States and in Germany and I was VERY inpressed with this beer. When I poured it into my pilsner glass, I got a perfect head and the most beautifu cascade of bubbles swirling up from the bottom of the glass that I have ever seen. It look just like to BMC commercials do except THEIR beers don't behave like that. Even now, 15 min into my beer , it is still cascading to keep the head alive.

Te aroma was very Czech like, the hop aroma was very european. Classy & clean.

I was worried before my first sip that the carbonation would be to much, but it was perfect... very nice mouthfeel. Great body to the beer and the taste was crisp clean and super refreshing. I know that those are all the cliche's that you always hear, but this time it was absolutly true.

This is my favorite pilsner and I highly reccomend it.

Another homerun Lagunitas!!!

bobbilance

08-28-2013 07:14:12 | More by bobbilance
gatorguy813

4.9/5  rDev +35%

This is probably one of my top five non-german brews, and certainly top ten overall. I would give a detailed description, but it would be a waste of time, this beer hits the mark in all catagories:Smell,drinkability,taste,mouthfeel, everything! My recommendation, buy it, you wont regret it.

08-13-2008 00:19:35 | More by gatorguy813
micromaniac129

4.83/5  rDev +33.1%

Pours a deep golden color with a big white head. A very slight haze. Head fades quickly to a wispy veil on top. A good swirl brings out another round of foam. Good lacing all the way down.
Classic lager aroma, not over powering, of noble hops and a hint of malty character.
Taste is dry and spicy with a nice dry finish.
Sprite and lemony in the mouth.
Refreshing. I could down a couple of these babes, coming off the beach down in Cape May.
Drink well my friends

09-26-2010 16:48:43 | More by micromaniac129
xmorgan

4.79/5  rDev +32%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a nice Czech style Pilsner.
Apperance: golden with nice white head but no lacing
Smell: Czech hop smell and straw like sent
Taste: crisp clean and bitter character expected from a Pilsner, hop prescience is ago adequate and a sulphur quality
Overall a nice Pilsner

mythaeus

08-02-2013 18:20:25 | More by mythaeus
Mitchster

4.7/5  rDev +29.5%

$1.80 for a single at Jacks. Filtered. Pours out to a brilliantly clear straw golden...perfect pils color. Forms a rocky white head with average retention and sparse lacing. The aroma is crisp, fresh, clean pale malts and a subtle Saaz floral hopiness. Mouthfeel is crisp with a nice acidity and smooth finish. Medium-light body. The taste is great...lots of nice Euro malts up front with pleasant grassiness, a floral and citric nice hop bite, an expertly balanced bitterness and ends in a subtle grain husk sweetness. Wow. No off-flavors.

This is a world-class pils. Defining for the style and full of flavor, yet oh-so-easy to drink. I love this brew. Highly recommended. I will be buying much more!

10-31-2007 00:13:29 | More by Mitchster
wahhmaster

4.68/5  rDev +28.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Pilsner Urquell pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, bright, golden color with lots of carbonation bubbles visible. Has large, rocky head that dissipates slowly and leaves considerable lacing.

Smell: Smells of grainy, grassy hops with a hint of maltiness. Has a clean nose like most pilsners.

Taste: Now this is a pilsner! Strong hoppy and biscuity flavors permeate throughout this beer. The hops tend towards the grassy/grainy variety but there are hints of citric hops in here as well. Perfectly balanced with a pleasant aftertaste, this is really quite fantastic.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing, yet surprisingly full-bodied.

Drinkability: A superior pilsner and one I'd certainly have again without hesitation. Czech-style pilsners have a special place in my heart and this one is definitely the best American interpretation of the style I've had. It also makes me more interested in trying some of Lagunitas' other offerings. Way to go Lagunitas on this one!

01-31-2011 02:43:44 | More by wahhmaster
Mebuzzard

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +27.5%

Well, I've been searching for a pilsner close to those I had in Prague (check my avatar...that's one of them). This is very close, and very good. The hops present this lager with a nice crisp feel and spicey taste, one thing that keeps me on ales. I'm not a malt head, and don't like the lingering effects of most lagers.
A bright, clear persimmon color with a moderate head. Could look better, but it's just fine.
Clove, coriander, and lemon zest hint in the nose. Fresh. Green grass, possibly.
Taste is great, I almost give it a 5...but rarely do that with any beer. Hops balance this beer well, maybe too much for a true pilsner, but I like it. Feels great, tingly, crisp.
Gonna have to have more of this. A step shy of the Prague beers, but very good nonetheless

05-11-2009 20:45:00 | More by Mebuzzard
LeeMarvin

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I thought I'd gotten my fill of the Pilsner style back when I stopped competitively drinking Budweiser and switched to craft styles. But another member here turned me onto Lagunitas's take on the style and I do believe I like Pilsner again.

What I like best about Lagunitas's Pils is it's drinkability. This has been a hot summer in the Northeast, and this is a beer that you can drink in the heat. It's got a crisp, refreshing taste with just a hint of something exotic at the edge of your olfactory perephery.

This is a great transitional beer for Bud/Miller drinkers. I've got people who don't even like beer drinking this stuff!

08-03-2006 17:16:59 | More by LeeMarvin
rousee

4.6/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Gold color with a slight amber or ruby hue. Nice aroma of those Saaz hops I believe it is that are so prevalent in the Czech style. These guys have it down pat though as this beer is so much smoother and more drinkable than a Budvar, Pilsener Urquel, Staropramen or any of the others I have tried. I'm sure if I were in Prague, there would be plenty of competition. It is still an impressive example of the style from an American brewery. Lagunitas seems to put out quality in almost all their styles.

Tasting notes --breaddy and biscuitty --nice malt upfront very pleasant hop finish -pleasantly carbonated --good mouthfeel--this is an excellent pilsner.

07-07-2006 01:27:08 | More by rousee
TheLongBeachBum

4.53/5  rDev +24.8%

Lagunitas Pils, Czech Style Pilsner from the Lagunitas Brewery comes in a short stubby 12 fl.oz Bottle. It immediately impresses me with the fact that it defers to the Czechs, and unlike some Breweries I could mention, calls itself Czech ‘Style’ Pils. I like that and I am already endeared to this beer before I open it for its honesty.
Wow! And when I do open it, I like it even more. Straight from the fridge and once the crown cap is popped; I swear the Hop Aromas leap for joy into my Apartment. The beer pours a lovely golden color, with some turbidity though, even so, the orange milk hue from the fine suspended solids looks fantastic. Head is like Jaws, a Great White Monster. Huge, rocky, frothy and very reminiscent of a Czech Pils, and it has staying power. Aromas are stunning, a massive fresh citric and spicey hoppiness that positively invades the room and the nasal passages as though they are glad to see you.
Tastes are incredibly refreshing, extremely clean lines, exceptionally crisp and with a marvellous hop character. Some lingering bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is nothing short of perfect for this style. The Saaz hops contribute that spicy hoppiness so often found in fresh Pils in Czech Republic. After a few mouthfuls, a very soft fruitiness develops and is clearly perceptible in the middle, just like the real thing.

I first went to Czechoslovakia in 1992, and then revisited it when it was the Czech Republic a few times. I can honestly say this is one of the very best US interpretations of a Czech Pils that I have had to date. It reminded me so very much of the lashings of fresh Pilsner Urquell I drank in the Golden Tiger (U Zhlatého Tygra) in Prague, and later in Pilsen at the Brewery so many years ago.
Bloody Impressive, Marvellous and very accomplished indeed.

A big Thumbs Up to Lagunitas on this one. Na Zdravi!

12-26-2002 19:20:32 | More by TheLongBeachBum