Cappuccino Stout - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cappuccino StoutCappuccino Stout

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-20-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cappuccino Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,982 | Reviews: 1,317
1.74/5  rDev -55.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottled December 7, 2011. Wasn’t terribly impressed in the past, this year’s is pretty lame. Thin, prickly mouthfeel. Tastes like Root Beer with a shot of vodka. Unnecessary smoke. What coffee is there isn’t very good. A lot of solvent alcohol...a big beer at 9% but has the body of a weak Porter, yet still gets annoyingly sticky as it warms. Lagunitas needs to give up on the Stouts and just stick with the hops...

OK, as I’m struggling to get to the end of this bomber, I think I have figured out Lagunitas’ recipe to this disaster of a Coffee Imperial Stout:

Take some cheap, generic store-brand coffee grounds and brew them with some dirty high-in-chlorine tap water in a coffee-maker that doesn’t have an auto-off function. Let the nasty coffee burninate in the coffee-maker overnight. Turn off the coffee-maker and let it sit for a minimum of 4 days. Then take the foul, burnt coffee-like substance (picking out the handful of dead gnats floating on top) and pour it into some Root Beer. And I’m not talking Sprecher or anything like that, find ya some 99 cent 2 Liter of off-brand Family Dollar Root Beer. Then go to the liquor store and purchase the cheapest, nastiest vodka they have for sale. The stuff that will make the store clerk ask "Are you sure???", and add that to the "brew". And boom goes the dynamite. You’ve just made your own Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout!

Congratulations!

Now pour it down the drain...

--- --- --- --- ---

22oz bottle, 2010 batch, bottled Dec 1, 2010. Served at cellar temperature.

Pours thin dark brown with a two finger foamy light brown head that holds a good cap and leaves ample lacing.

Aroma is hoppy, yeah hoppy, pine and grass, some coffee and roasted malt, bread, caramel, toffee, nutty, light chocolate. Good strength.

Flavor is some decent coffee, nothing premium but not day old drip, chocolate, pine & grassy hops, some roasted malt, fair bitterness, some sweetness.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Man this beer is hard to identify. Stout? Not really. Imperial Stout, no way. Coffee Stout, kinda. Frankly this tastes like a somewhat coffee-infused Foreign Export Stout that has been generously hopped. But regardless of what category you put it into, it still falls short. Lagunitas excels at the hoppy stuff, but for the Stouts...not so much...

App 3, Smell 3, Taste 3, Mouthfeel 3, Overall 3, Score 3

1.99/5  rDev -49.4%

Served in a tulip.

Pours a fairly-dark brown though not as dark as I would expect for the style. Single-finger tan head falls down slowly and leaves a bit of spotty lacing. Good collar as it fades. The nose brings coffee and cream, though it is pretty tame on both. A bit of a metallic note hits behind the roast. The taste is strong, bitter coffee with some scalded cream. Not particularly pleasant. Really, really metallic in the finish. Dry with an off bitterness. Not sire why I got this, as I haven't had too much success with any non-hoppy offerings from Lagunitas. I would not drink this again.

2.19/5  rDev -44.3%

A: Pours a very dark brown with about a finger of light tan head which recedes into a nice, thick layer with some good lacing.

S: Some roasted malt and sweet chocolate. There's a bit of coffee in there, but it's surprisingly weak considering its name.

T: Similar to the aroma, there's some sweet chocolate and a bit of bitter coffee. There is some vanilla flavor in there as well, leaving a kind of sweet aftertaste that isn't entirely pleasant and doesn't mix well with the coffee.

M: Medium body with little carbonation. The beer has kind of a watery mouthfeel that is pretty unpleasant. It ends up tasting like watered-down coffee with vanilla creamer.

D: Unpleasant mouthfeel and not very good taste make this a pretty undrinkable beer. Lagunitas is normally solid, but this is definitely a miss for them.

2.2/5  rDev -44%

Poured hard into my snifter. Not at all what i was expecting, brown like neecastle with a lite head. Smell is all coffee. Taste is bitter coffee. Would never buy this crap again. The only reason it wasn't a drain pour, it was my last beer. This pisses me off because i love lagunitas.

2.23/5  rDev -43.3%

A - rather see through for a coffee stout. Not that it is see through, but light does come through the middle of the glass. Foam is also rather too rootbeer like.

S - very light. Mild stout scent but it also reminds me of a regular lager.

T - eh, hard to put my finger on. Mild stout, mild coffee... but there is something else there that I can't pin point. Something that does not belong in a coffee stout.

M - a lot of tingle very active.

D - doable but not my bag.

2.31/5  rDev -41.2%

"This particular beverage is produced less than 50 miles from my home. Generally I love the Lagunitas brand, but personally I found this variety to be somewhat of a disappointment. This interation of the lagaunitas brewery appeared in the local grocery store and as I am a periodic coffee lover I thought I would give this "limited issue" beverage a try. I purchased two bottles. The first was consumed, I found the beverage to be pleasantly bitter, but the coffee overtones to be somewhat intimidating, the mouth feel was appropriately long lasting, not watery. Flavor was like nothing I had ever experienced, not wonderful but tolerable. The second bottle as consumed several days later. I am sorry to say that I was unable to finish the serving. It may have been my mood or something else but I was unable finish because of the seemingly too strong coffee flavor along with bitter hop characteristics. "

2.32/5  rDev -41%

On tap at Cambridge Common. I was hoping for a big, warm Something to finish off a meal on a frigid Sunday night, something that would launch me into my work week in a happy, malty mood. Alas, I should have known better to go with Lagunitas, a West-coast brewery that invests more in label copy than beer. Although a suitable color for a stout, it's got very little aroma beyond some light chocolate and a peas. The taste is loaded-- *loaded*-- with old coffee grounds. Not even good coffee grounds, but the kind from the Bunn-O-Matic you used to operate in your high-school job at a Ponderosa Steak House; the kind that have been sitting around for hours, drying out and getting sour. Also making a cameo appearance is... lettuce. Unless that's a flavor you value in beer, pass on this one.

2.32/5  rDev -41%

This is a double right? Poured from bottle into a pint glass. Not dark at a all. Looks like a brown ale. I reviewed this based on other doubles/Imperials. I would be happy to try this again, but I'm not paying for it. Tasted like a slightly heartier version of Brown Shugga. We split a large bottle and my friend said he could taste a little coffee. I didn't taste any. Couldn't smell it either. Fail.

I will adjust review if/when I try it again but this is a failure as an imperial stout to me.

However, I gave a few charity points for a decent mouthfeel with some chewiness and the ample carbonation makes it perfectly drinkable - but nothing earth-shattering.

2.38/5  rDev -39.4%

Tasted blind with 13 other imperial stouts.

pours reddish brown; very light for a big stout.

aroma of...ginger??

the best way to describe what we were tasting was chili peppers sans the heat. it was really odd.

light on the tongue.

bizzare take on a strong stout. for a beer with "cappuccino" on the label, thre was very little coffee or cappuccino anywhere to be found.

2.4/5  rDev -38.9%

All hype. I can see why it's known as "crapucinno stout".

2.4/5  rDev -38.9%

A - Dark red hues, looks dense and not very opaque. Carbonation bubbles to the top.

S - Prevalent coffee scent. Dank hops; roasted malts.

T - Overwhelming coffee taste. Very bitter finish. Coffee was focus of stout and finishes off with a roasted coffee aftertaste.

M - Heavy and coarse. Lots of fizz!

D - Possibly was served too cold at pour, for it did become better with temp. Struck me as too intense for my palate and overwhelmed with coffee. I like coffee & I like beer, though the balance seems to be off with too much coffee flavor. A toffee-like finish is noticeable after several seconds. In addition to this, a coffee ground taste was prevalent. Not so drinkable in my opinion. The coffee used didn't seem to be of high quality and was very acidic. The bitterness might be more due to the coffee and its poor quality than from the hops utilized in brewing the beer. Though the beer balances out better with time, I still found it to be too overwhelmed by coffee and isn't something I would personally seek out again.

2.42/5  rDev -38.4%

Reviewed from notes. I poured this bottle into a large wine glass.

A: medium-dark raisin color, inadequate head, cap and lacing. My first indication that this bottle is probably infected.

S: green pepper, coffee, smokey grain, molasses. Green pepper seems like an off-odor to me.

T: green pepper, coffee, molasses, herbal/floral hop finish. Again, green pepper is tasty in a salad, but not in a beer, especially alongside the roasted flavors of a stout.

M: medium-weight, silky to oily mouthfeel, light carbonation.

D: I did some research about green pepper off-flavors, but could not find anything in a quick search. I definitely do not remember green pepper flavor when I tasted this beer at Binny's.

2.42/5  rDev -38.4%

THis beer looked beautifully dark with a little bit of head, and gorgeous reddish brown hues on the edges. The aroma was barely there at all with a malty wet cardboard smell. The bitterness of the over charred malt and the burned coffee overwhelmed everything else. It did have a coffee taste to it, but it wasn't a good coffee taste. The finish had a bitterness of boiled vegetables. I thought that more flavor would develop as it warmed, and as my palate adapted to the bitterness, but it remained fairly 1-dimensional.

2.46/5  rDev -37.4%

A : pours a dark dark brown with slightly tan edges. A head that is off white and very thin. Dissipates quickly. Slight lacing.
S : smells very sweet. A bit of coffee and sweet beef marinade. A bit of off putting booze. Kind of weak
T : starts watery, then followed by a dark malty flavor. A beefy flavor of bittersweet dark chocolate, coffee and some odd flavored hops. There is a plastic like sweet flavor with the hops until the end. The flavor is a bit fruity and weird. As the beer warms the odd flavor is less overwhelming, but still there.
M : medium to light body. Smooth.

Too light in the body. Watery, not enough flavor. And then there's that end. Ugh, something went wrong. It's like drinking iodophor or something.

2.53/5  rDev -35.6%

pours a very, very dark brown. almost but not quite black with a very weak light brown head.

smell is heavy on the malt and light on the coffee, I can barely pick it up.

taste has a bit more of the coffee, but still fairly weak for a "cappuccino" stout, although it's definitely stronger in the finish and the after taste. Hints of milk, perhaps lactose?

mouthfeel is thinner than I'd like but has a nice silkiness reminiscent of an oatmeal stout.

Overall, this one falls a little short of most coffee stouts, and I LOVE coffee stouts. While still tasty, the mouthfeel was a bit thin, the coffee was a bit weak, the color a bit light, the head fades easily. It seems like everything is decent, but falls short.

edit: after drinking more of this beer from the bottle, I can't finish it. The things that seem off, intensify as you drink more of it and I just didn't enjoy it anymore.

2.56/5  rDev -34.9%

I was really interested in trying to beer because I really enjoyed stouts and the cappuccino addition sounded good. So I gave it a shot because the bar i was at had it on tap. The pour was a very dark brown color. The smell had some interesting aspects such as a coffee and chocolate. Unfortunately once I started to drink the beer I felt it had a strange bitter after taste that I just could not get past. I also didnt really get the strong cappuccino flavor i was hoping for.

2.57/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This beer was average. Good stout. But was expecting more prominent coffee tones.

2.62/5  rDev -33.3%

One must say that the thought of drinking a cappuccino stout would elicit a strong, full-bodied, lusciously creamy beer. The Lagunitas Cappucino stout was none of these.

It pours a disappointing lukewarm brown color with a carbonated head and a watery look.

The smell was unconvincing. No extraordinarily strong flavor jumped out. Just weak.

The flavor, too, was weak. A little bit of light roast, a bit of light hoppiness, and a wannabe chocolate dash at the end. No spice and too much carbonation for the lack of flavor.

The mouthfeel was slightly better, with some of the smokey and light coffee flavors coming out in the mouth. However, a cappuccino doesnt taste like dunkin donuts coffee. Drinkability is average, but again, far too inamicable to finish like a real stout.

2.63/5  rDev -33.1%

In a blind test, I'd give this beer a better review -- it reminds me of a hoppy stout such as Bear Republic's Black Bear Stout.

The only trouble is, this is supposed to be a cappuccino stout, and there was nothing vaguely coffee-like about this beer.

2.65/5  rDev -32.6%

A- Pours slightly-less-than-opaque dark brown with a hint of red. Finger of head doesn't last long and gives way to also brief lacing.
S- Roasted coffee beans, burned chocolate, bread. Roasted malts make more of an appearance as the beer warms.
T- Coffee, but not a particularly pleasant flavor of coffee, and not strong enough to be Cappuccino, then unsweet chocolate which mingles with a hop bitterness at the finish. Mild hoppy bitterness lingers on the palate. 9% is well concealed.
M- Smooth, but feels thin for the style. Slightly coating and a bit sticky. I'm finding that I'd like some water mid way through.
O- I'll pass on this next time. I'm not impressed and I imagine in a few weeks' time I'll barely remember this beer. Much better offerings of coffee stouts may be had for a couple bucks more.

2.66/5  rDev -32.3%

Raul see all these good reviews and he think he might be trippin'.

I just popped this beer 5 minutes ago poured out of a bottle from Bradley's Liquor in Tustin, California, and even the clerk said it was a favorite. But wooo ha! What iz goin on here? Not a hot dawg thing!

I pour dis beer n it looked sexi like the last time I did a pull up - but the end result was more depressing than Minka Kelly as a Charlie Angel.

Lacked any cappuccino flavor whatsoever; and as a stout, it lacked the robust flavor that I usually enjoy.

Highly disappointed. Don't even try it.

2.69/5  rDev -31.6%

how is this a stout? pours a caramel/coke with light coming through without even holding it up to the light. okay head, very spotty lace with pretty bad head retention. there's some but it's only a ring around the edge. smells of alcohol and a light cappuccino/coffee/burnt thing going on. tastes of burnt coffee and has a very light mouthfeel similar to a bad porter. this is not a very good beer and maybe if i had it a bit fresher it would've been a little bit better, but this is basically a crappy beer. lagunitas really let me down on this one.

2.7/5  rDev -31.3%

You know, I LOVE coffee stouts, and I didn't like this stout. At all. Too much superficial sweetness made it taste like instant coffee. Additionally, it is leaving a bitterness in my mouth. Perhaps a hoppy bitterness, but nonetheless inappropriate. My opinion: avoid. Very surprising coming from the usually-reliable Lagunitas.

2.72/5  rDev -30.8%

Everything about this beer is thin. It appears much thinner than even a "regular" stout, let alone an 8.8 percent stout. It looks almost like a brown ale rather than a stout. The smell is truly the best part of the beer. It smells thinly of cappucino and generic malt, however the cappucino/coffee aroma is strong enough to make the smell generally pleasant. The problem with the taste of this beer is that all of it's flavors are too weak. Stronger taste of roast/malt, hops, or coffee/cappucino would make this a much better example of a strong coffee stout. As it stands, all three of these major style flavors come across evenly and weakly. Because of weak flavor, thin mouthfeel, and boring taste, this is a barely drinkable beer.

2.73/5  rDev -30.5%

22 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A- pours a dark brown that looks black in the glass. It has tan colored head that lingers a while and leaves some lacing on the glass.

S- Not much there, at all. Roasted malts. Maybe kinda boozy.

T- Again, not much there. Nice roasty flavor, but the coffee is not really noticeable.

M- Could be thicker.

O- Not really impressed at all.

Cappuccino Stout from Lagunitas Brewing Company