Microbrew Invitational

Reviews: 1,306 | Ratings: 4,300
4.07/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22oz bottle poured into a tulip

A- pours black in color with a bit of light creeping through the edges, creamy off-white head with good retention

S- espresso and vanilla cream with undertones of roasted malt and chocolate

T- sweet vanilla cream up front with fresh espresso and toasted malt, sweet chocolate with more vanilla whopping cream on the finish

M- medium body and carbonation leads to a creamy mouthfeel that continues into the finish

O- great espresso notes throughout, does get a bit sweet at times

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bought 22oz from Times Fujiokas $4.99
Dark black color
Heavy mouthfeel
Light carbonation
Taste like an iced coffee. Relatively smooth, masks the high alcohol
Overall just ok, not really for me. Not something for me to sip and enjoy, but it does deliver as a coffee like beer.

3.94/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours - Jet black with thick mocha colored head that I though would never go down. Good lacing.

Smell - After letting this warm about 10 minutes I noticed mild coffee notes some chocolate and a little roasted smell. The smell was a little underwhelming.

Taste - The taste stood out a little more with black coffee, dark chocolate roasted malts flavors.

Feel - thick coating mouthfeel little bitter from the coffee.

Overall = A decent stout would have liked to have had a little more smell.

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout, 9% ABV, 29.5 IBU. Pours impenetrable black, moderate thickness, two fingers of head, nose is slight coffee, taste is strongly coffee/cappuccino with surprisingly light bitterness. I don't generally like bitter beers but it seems OK when it is coffee/cappuccino bitterness vs hop bitterness. Very cheap beer like most of their other offerings, so I would get it again.

4.42/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Black pour with some clarity under dark khaki cap; thick creamy foam; heavy lacing. Roasted coffee bean nose. Flavors of iced mocha coffee, bittersweet chocolate, roast caramel malt and toffee. Smooth, silky medium mouthfeel; mocha coffee tongue coating; moderate plus carbonation. Roast malt and coffee linger - quite tasty and as advertised.

3.89/5  rDev -0.5%

expected this to be better. appearance is nice, smell is like non existent for me and taste is decent but not quite there,.mouthfeel is the same imo it leaves something to be desired. not a bad beer, but just doesnt live up to other imperial stouts and i wont be buying this one again.

it improved as it warmed up but still wont be buying again.

3.94/5  rDev +0.8%

22 oz. bottle into a tulip glass

A - Moderate pour produces a 2 finger high head that is creamy in appearance with just a bit of light milk froth around the edges. The head is khaki in color and dissipates ultra slowly to a rocky creaminess that is retained. The beer itself is black and opaque with just a hint of light carbonation around the edges of the glass with small bubbles rising slowly towards the surface. 4.5/5

S - The aroma is a bit underwhelming in that it is not very strong. Aroma notes are more hints than anything and none come out and grab me. Milk chocolate, lactate, drip brewed coffee (medium roast), lightly toasted whole wheat bread and a bit of herbal hops come out. The aroma notes are spot on for this style but just are not very strong. 3.5/5

T - Brown sugar and lightly toasted whole wheat bread come out and grab me initially. Cold pressed coffee with a bit of milk chocolate and lactate comes next to fill out the middle of the flavor profile. The back end sees a bit of espresso and tobacco come to the forefront with just a hint of leather and a light smoke. Espresso bitterness finishes off the flavor profile with a lingering bitterness that is noticeable but not overpowering. 4/5

M - Light carbonation burn up front lead into a creamy smoothness with just a hint of carbonation tickle. Heavy bodied. Light drying on the back end but this drying does not linger on the palate. 4.25/5

O - Well balanced stout between sweet and bitter. Neither sweet nor bitter really one ups the other with this beer which allows for a multitude of flavors of play out on the palate. This beer would be even better if the aroma was stronger but the flavor alone is worth the buy. 4/5

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

22oz Bomber poured into a Anchor Steam glass.Smell is Coffee,Maybe light chocolate.Taste is coffee.Overall it is a little thin.I am used to Lagunitas always being great and this is just average.It`s not bad,just not great.

4.28/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

bomber poured into an English pub glass

poured a dark brown, black in glass. Formed a short head of foam which left residue at the top of the glass

Strong aromas of dark chocolate malts, coffee beans

Initially very bitter, but the dark chocolate and cappuccino aftertaste kept me drinking

Thick, gets creamier with warmth (drank in 1.5 hours)

Definitely a go to coffee stout for me

3.69/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I love the brewery, yet I've grown tired of coffee/bourbon stouts. With that in mind, so as not to skew judgment, this still lacks in every area. Pours dark with dissipated head that leaves some lacing. Aroma is weird, with chemical strangeness amongst coffee beans and cocoa. Finish is okay, but I'll pass on this.

4.28/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep dark brown with ruby edges and well over a finger of head. The nose is nicely roasty but not overly pungent. The mouthfeel is sticky and full bodied. The flavor is richly roasty and includes some essence of coffee bitterness.

At the right price point, this could be an every day big stout.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Comes in a black color with dark brown at the edges. Has a nice creamy, mocha brown head that lingers and leaves nice lacing.

The aroma offers cold brewed coffee, cocoa powder, milk chocolate candy, and caramel.

The flavor is very well balanced. Dark roasted coffee, burnt toast, and wood smoke smack you upfront, and then it mellows out with a sweet finish of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and caramel, balanced yet again with bitter cacao. The aftertaste is fairly clean, with just a touch of lingering coffee roast bitterness.

The mouthfeel is smooth, slick, and creamy. It moves the flavors very nicely and evenly across the palate, and is perfect for the style.

An excellent coffee stout overall. Highly recommended to any fan of dark beers and/or coffee. Another winner from Lagunitas!

2.72/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I'll preface this review by saying that I may have had an expired bottle and with that in mind, here goes.

As a lover of good coffee and stout beers, I thought finding this was somewhat of a dream come true. I've come to appreciate stouts served closer to room temperature, so I refrigerated the bottle then took it out of the refrigerator about an hour and a half before I poured it.

When pouring it seemed to be a bit thinner than typical stouts. The head formed well, but quickly dissipated. The beer appears pretty dark, bordering between stout and porter.

I smelled it to see if I could detect a hint of coffee. I didn't. This beer smelled bitter, maybe a little over-hopped. I decided to let it air for a minute to see if it would relent, it didn't.

As my heart raced in anticipation of my first makeout session with a coffee-stout, with great expectations I moved in for the first kiss. Whoa. This was nothing like the first kiss with the love of my life. This was bitter. Much more bitter than I would expect from a stout. The bitterness wasn't from an over roasted coffee like charbucks, but from being a little too hoppy. I couldn't even taste the coffee. I waited for the coffee to appear in the aftertaste, but I couldn't taste it. I finally tasted coffee about 20 minutes after finishing it. The taste reminds me of Sam Adams Boston lager, a somewhat skunky, persistent bitterness.

When I drink charbucks, I typically need to add cream. So to make it to the bottom of this bitter bottle, I added cream. It took the edge off, but a huge indication that this one wasn't for me.

Overall, disappointed. If this wasn't so bitter I would probably be willing to try it again, but it's just too bitter for me.

I wouldn't recommend this beer unless you enjoy the more bitter, hoppier beers. If that's your taste, give it a try and you may love it. If you want really strong hints of coffee, you may not find it here.

3.59/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is always around and the $5 price point is commendable. Finally decided to buy one for the tick. Look is deep black, decent head. Not a whole lot in the smell. Taste is typical stout, I don't get much coffee. The 9% is completely hidden. Overall decent but not outstanding.

4.27/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours cola black, jet black with dark ruby shades. thick head as well. good start to this.

smell is nice, lots of chocolate and coffee to me. sweetness in here as well.

taste is mild and thin. oddly enough, it hits me in my nose. coffee bitterness with some mild chocolate sweetness. not bad at all.

overall this is pretty good! nothing special but far from bad. enjoyable stout. thin for a big abv stout but also has a nice bitterness to it so that it isn't pure sweetness. nice balance and drinkability.

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

This beer poured a dark black color into my tulip glass. The nose is rather muted for what I expected for a stout of this caliber. The taste is stronger than the nose a nice smooth stout with great coffee flavors in the mouth feel. It is a little thin for a stout of this caliber. But a nice smooth drinkable stout in the end.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

From the (ancient) bottle, it pours a very dark brown with a small tan head, dissipating somewhat rapidly. Coffee tickles the nose. Coffee and stout in the mouth! Yum!

4.04/5  rDev +3.3%

I would have rated this lower if it had cost more than $3.99 for the bottle. Poured very thin for a stout, but not a bad brew. I don't know if I would call it a stout, however.

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

$4.50 a bomber! Medium body great coffee and stout nose with a little chocolate. Taste is on point with a good base stout and the coffee not overpowering the beer itself. I would have not thought this what coming in at 9.2% either. Really good beer at one of the best price points per usual from Lagunitas.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Delicious departure from my go-tos from this brewery, the coffee put a nice spin on their usual hoppy ales which I preferred. I've become less of a fan of hop-bomb.

Glad to have been gifted a bottle of this, it was 22 oz. of heaven.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sometimes I feel I've got to
Run away, I've got to
Get away from the pain you drive into the heart of me
The love we share
Seems to go nowhere
And I've lost my light
For I toss and turn, I can't sleep at night

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Looks great, tastes great, priced great. What a value! Picked up for under $6 a bomber. Thank you. Aroma of coffee, oats, toasted bread and roasted grains. Taste of coffee, chocolate, light toffee and bitters. Smooth and creamy. Wtf to anyone disappointed in an affordable, accessible and delicious coffee stout.

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Honestly I bought this beer with some super high expectations. I think since it was limited release, that got me pretty pumped. What I should have known is that you get what you pay for, the 22oz bomber was like $5.50 or something like that. Honestly I was super disappointed. It did pour nicely into the glass, jet black with a chocolate colored head. But then I took my first sip...tastes like burnt coffee beans and booze. All in all, I was pretty let down. Always remember that you get what you pay for!!

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours silky dark brown/black, but thin in appearance with a thin ring of brown foam.

Roasty, coffee grounds, espresso.

Coffee and espresso flavor is rather underwhelming, but obviously apparent.

Heavy-bodied, low-medium carbonation, smooth but needs more body.

Overall, I still really dig Lagunitas' price points, but that's really all this has going for it. Warming and boozy, but underwhelming in aroma and flavor.

3.19/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

L: black with dark brown ring on edge
S: metallic cold, gains subtle coffee aroma as it warms
T: nice coffee bitterness, metallic tinge is just slightly noticeable early in the tasting.
F: medium bodied