Cappuccino Stout - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cappuccino StoutCappuccino Stout

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-20-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cappuccino Stout Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

I picked up a bottle of Lagunitas Brewing Company's Cappuccino Stout last week for $4.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a long time, but it never made it to my neck of the woods, so when I saw this years release on the shelf I knew I had to grab it while I could, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty plain and very typical for a Lagunitas bomber, it isn't that eye catching. It poured a very deep and dark brown color that was bordering on being black with some ruby/red hues when held to the light and three fingers worth of darker tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This was a very good looking beer, everything from the color to the head were spot on.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness and some good coffee aromas followed by some dark chocolate, roasted malts, and a slight charred aroma. After that comes a sweet cream aroma with just a slight bit of caramel to give it that Cappuccino like aroma. This beer had a good aroma, it wasn't as complex as I would like but it was still pretty good and fairly true to the name.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a nice lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some nice coffee flavors. After that comes some dark chocolate, some more black coffee that was a little bitter, roasted malts, and a really slight charred flavor. Towards the end I get a little of booze with a lighter amount of medium bitterness and a coffee and roasted malt aftertaste that was a little weak compared to other coffee beers. This was a good tasting beer that was fairly balanced but the alcohol could have been hidden a little better.

M- Smooth, creamy, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice with just the right amount of carbonation but I thought it should have a little thicker body.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was an above average example of a Coffee Stout, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style but it didn't seem as robust and as well rounded as some of the best Coffee Stouts. This beer had decent drinkability, it wad fairly smooth and the flavors held my attention but the alcohol could have been hidden a little better, one bomber is enough for me and I wouldn't mind splitting it with someone. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it looked pretty damn good in my snifter and it's one of the better looking Coffee Stouts I've seen. What I liked the least about this beer was that it was jut a little thin and the alcohol stuck out a little too much, I thought those aspects could use a little work. I would probably buy this beer again if in the mood since it was pretty nice and the price was very good, but it's not going to beat out Founders Breakfast Stout as my go to Coffee Stout for the season, If you like Coffee Stouts I recommend giving this a try. All in all this was a solid beer, and I expect nothing less from Lagunitas since they are a pretty good brewery and I've never had a beer from them I hated. It can't hang with the best of them but it's nice for what it is. Lagunitas makes good beers at great prices, cheers guys.

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured a black color with two fingers of khaki tan head. Even amount of heavy lacing on the sides, good retention on the top.

Smelled deep coffee malts, coffee beans, bitter dark malts and dark chocolate.

Tasted a quick bite of nothing, followed by a bam! of coffee, dark bitter beans, some dark chocolate and roasted malts.

Full body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long, bitter, warming finish.

A nice beer, probably one of the darkest I’ve had. I don’t drink coffee, but if it tastes as good as this, then I might start having it.

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a very dark brownish red with a small tan head which quickly disappears.

The smell is roast coffee, chocolate and a milky sweetness. Too subtle though.

The flavours are coffee, sweet smooth milk with a bit of a burnt bitter after taste. Once the drink has left you mouth it leaves a bit of an alcohol burn.

The mouthfeel is syrupy with low to medium carbonation.

Overall certainly a sipper, the alcohol is very obvious. A fairly decent beer but not great by lagunitas standards.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%