Cappuccino Stout - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cappuccino StoutCappuccino Stout

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-20-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cappuccino Stout Alström Bros
towlea25

01-07-2012 13:35:00 | More by bhir
BrewnoMarzen

Connecticut

22oz bottle to goblet.

Pours a dark cola color with ruby highlights. 1 finger head dissipates quickly and leaves a really nice heavy lacing behind.

This brew has a strong aroma. I can smell it while it's on the table way before I bring it up to my nose. Smells like a really good cappuccino I'd get from a legit coffee shop.

Tastes exactly like it smells. Very strong coffee flavor right off tha rip. I pickup some dark fruit midway through. Finishes with a very light refreshing bitterness. This is a really good coffee stout!

Mouthfeel is a little thin for a stout of this caliber but I really think it suits this beer well. When I think about it a little more I begin to realize the mouthfeel is perfect on this one when all things are considered.

I can't say enough about this beer. I'm a huge coffee drinker, it's the only thing I drink besides beer, so to me this is a big friggin treat. If you are into coffee stouts or are into coffee and into beer you need to try this. It's well balanced and very easy to drink for a 9% brew. You don't need to meditate with this one in your mouth to pickup the highlighted flavor. I'd like to try the actual coffee they made this with. It would probably be one of the best cups I've ever had. Oh yeah, the price point on this is really good. I feel like I won when I bought this. Big daddy chuck would love this shit.

01-07-2012 05:30:21 | More by BrewnoMarzen
ibrewaletx

Oregon

01-06-2012 05:13:25 | More by ibrewaletx
tlazaroff

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Appearance is almost perfect for me, if it wasn't for the lack of a head. The beer is quite dark with highlights of a hybrid ruby/purple. The head, while there, was a nice mocha color. Lacing is nice.

On the aroma I defiantly pick up a sweet coffee aroma. Its the strongest thing there and drowns out anything else - if there is anything else.

Big roast goodness on the palate here! It really does taste like an iced alcoholic cappuccino. Thats all there is to say about it, it's delicious.

Carbonation is solid in this one, it's on the high end, but it's still in the moderate range. This is a bold, thick beer, coats the palate with residual sweetness.

Highly drinkable for almost 9%abv! I don't even realize that the bottle was half gone!

01-05-2012 05:57:33 | More by tlazaroff
Reason2B

Wisconsin

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

This is my first time rating, the motivator being disappointment. This beer did not live up to expectations. I’ll try to build my expertise and provide greater detail in the future. However, for now I’ll describe the front-end taste as being ok with a nice coffee hint. However, the finish just had something off about it, which I just can’t put my finger on.

01-04-2012 04:46:57 | More by Reason2B
IdrinkGas

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

01-04-2012 01:51:57 | More by IdrinkGas
SawDog505

New Hampshire

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured aggressive into a 20 oz Duvel tulip glass. Pours a dark brown, with some light penetration. Big 3 inch tan head, that slowly settles, into a layer of bubbles with plenty of lace. Smell French vanilla coffee, toffee, brown sugar, and molasses, lacking a roastyness that I love in my stouts. Taste is creamy, much more my style than the smell. Coffee is more assertive in taste and much more real, the smell seemed like it was made from abstract. Body is a tad thin, nice carbonation, very drinkable, and lush not dry. This is a good stout, was hoping for more.

01-04-2012 01:12:08 | More by SawDog505
Turbodog666

Connecticut

01-03-2012 22:57:31 | More by Turbodog666
keanex

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

From a 22 ounce bottle with no freshness date. Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A: Deep clear garnet through the light, almost opaque. Thin tan head quickly dissipates with a little coating left on top.

S: Sweet mocha and coffee, I wish it were just a tad stronger but this smells great, exactly what I expected from the name.

T: A lot of coffee notes, upfront through to the end with hints of cocoa. There's a slight bitterness throughout, but it's masked well by the mellow sweetness here. This is delicious.

M: Thick with good fizzy carbonation.

O: The price is right and the taste is spot on with the name. I enjoy this a lot, it's definitely a beer for coffee drinkers. I highly recommend this.

01-03-2012 03:37:08 | More by keanex

Georgia

01-01-2012 19:47:24 | More by coreyfmcdonald
DgtlDonkey

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

A - Poured dark brown with a large, three-finger-width head that quickly settled to one finger-width and hung around.

S - I can definitely smell the presence of chocolate and coffee.

T - Great bitterness from the coffee...after swallowed, remnants of milk chocolate remain.

M - rich, pretty thick feeling

O - Not a bad beer...not the best, but I enjoyed it

01-01-2012 15:27:38 | More by DgtlDonkey
tdm168

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a deep brown bordering on black with a thin lacing of dense, brown head that has decent retention. The nose is predominantly coffee. The flavor is heavy coffee up front with some notes of roasted malt and chocolate in the finish. There are some mild anise notes and a mild astringency in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied with light carbonation.

This is a rich, smooth stout with a solid, complex flavor. This is well worth the $5 that I paid for the bomber.

01-01-2012 03:35:40 | More by tdm168

01-01-2012 01:09:51 | More by whartontallboy
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

22oz bottle. Funny as hell side label, as per usual - brag about what you can, I suppose.

This beer pours a clear (I think), deep, dark cola hue, with bright orange brick highlights, and two fingers of puffy, foamy, bubbly, and eventually creamy beige head, which leaves some bushy, craggy lace around the glass as it genially fades away.

It smells of rather bitter, earthy coffee (espresso, I guess), caramel malt, medium baker's chocolate, milky vanilla, and soft leafy, grassy hops. The taste is big on the milk chocolate sweetness up front, followed by some tangy cafe-au-lait, musty caramel, boozy vanilla, and bitter citrus, leafy, and earthy hops coming 'round for yet another palate thrashing.

The carbonation is moderate, just a softly trilling frothiness throughout, the body medium-full in weight, and smooth as a zippy cocoa and milk saturated cup of java can be, which is variable, yes, but I'm speaking from third-person generalities. It finishes still fairly sweet, the chocolate malt retaining the most vigor, with some relatively understated coffee, and a new-found, swirling alcohol warmth rounding things out.

My trepidation level was in the orange, at least, for this offering, when I considered this brewer's predilection for amping any and all shit up. Turns out, the coffee is just a nice side player, for a big, chocolaty, tempered booze beast of an American stout. An ironically good, stiff swig, before I go watch the Canadians put the Yanks out of their self-inflicted misery at the WJHC here in Edmonton, and then on to the Headstones' NYE 2012 show. Boo to the fuckin' ya!

01-01-2012 00:35:26 | More by biboergosum
inbierveritas

12-31-2011 03:33:35 | More by inbierveritas
teromous

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

A: It pours out dark brown, with a very small tan head. It's probably only about a third of my thumb width. The head goes away very fast, leaving nothing but a tan ring. There is some lacing on the glass.

S: I get a huge nose of chocolate from this beer. It smells a bit like chocolate milk. The beer is titled "cappuccino stout" but I don't really pick up any coffee scent. There is a slight toasty scent in the back.

T: The flavor definitely brings out the coffee. I can taste it even more in the aftertaste. I get some roasted flavors, slight bitterness, coffee, light hints of chocolate, and I can even taste some of the hops in this.

M: The mouthfeel is really good. The beer is pretty smooth, but it has a light bite from the carbonation and bitterness. It starts out with a heavy body, but goes down with a medium body.

O: Overall I thought this was a very solid beer. It's not as up-front as say Southern Tier's Mokah, but it's still really good. I'd buy it again.

12-30-2011 21:31:11 | More by teromous